Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros

1.32/5  rDev -67.5%

I'm a fan of Southern Tier, and kept hearing great things about Pumking, really wanted to like this one...

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-Low carbonation, modest head, quite a nice shade of orange

S-Pumpkin pie, store bought vanilla frosting, sweet corn, marshmallow. Not a good start.

T-Yikes, way too sweet. Lots of vanilla, more corn, no spice to be found. Reminds me of cake vodka (also a regrettable experience)

M-Not horrible, but hard to appreciate due to the taste. Rather thick

O-Gross. Not sure how I see this come up so often in discussion of "best pumpkin ale". Rarely will I pour a beer down the sink, but I couldn't finish a third of the bomber. Would expect better from Southern Tier.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

3.66/5  rDev -9.9%

22oz bottle into a pint glass

a: very little head, orangish, amber color

s: Strong cinnamon graham cracker crust

t: I taste cinnamon and graham cracker. Maybe a touch of whip cream. My wife, who loves pumpkins, is disappointed to not taste any pumpkin. It is definitely more of a pumpkin pie taste than a pumpkin taste. There is a sour, slightly bitter aftertaste which I don't particularly like.

M: smooth, not much carbonation.

O: I really like the cinnamon and graham cracker taste, but I'm slightly disappointed overall.

4.49/5  rDev +10.6%

22z bottle dated 8-6-12 into a Hoffman House chalice.

A - Poured straight down the middle, forming a large billowing white head that slowly fades. Deep orange and brilliantly clear.

S - Aroma of allspice, clove hits after opening the bottle. Deep cinnamon, pumpkin aroma - almost graham-cracker like - with a tiny hint of vanilla. Very nice. Like a slice of pumpkin pie, whipped cream and all. Distant hint of sweet-liquor booze.

T - Carbonation, spices and malt flavors mingle with a small amount of vanilla, creating a very complex initial taste. Fades into a liqueur-like pumpkin candy middle with a pleasantly sweet, complex mulled spice finish.

M - Medium to heavy body with medium carbonation.

O - A large, pumpkin-pie-with-whipped-cream liqueur. A sipper and a good one.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a sampler glass at Capones from a fresh tapped keg.

A: An amber light orange color that filters a decent amount of light. Minimal off white head and minimal glass lacing.

S: Nutty mostly, with hints of spice inculding nutmeg, amaretto and a large amount of hazlenut. I get no hints of pumkin on the nose.

T: Follow the nose. This beer is high on the spice part, but low on the pumkin part. Again, a large amount of hazlenut flavors with nutmeg and other spice mixed in along with a malty sugar type sweetness. If I try hard, I can pick up some pumkin flavor, but not near enough in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, the beer is different and very good, but it severely lacks pumkin flavor.

M: Medium mouthfeel and the alcohol is hidden very well. Light carbonation so the beer does go down easily.

D: Medium. I enjoyed my one, but I'm not sure how many I could acutally drink.

Overall this was a solid beer, but if I had not know it was pumkin I would have never guessed it. I missed hints of cinnamon as this beer seemed to focus on the nutty flavor. I heard the bottle flavor is different, and I bought one to try. I'll report on that once I try it. For the money, the DFH Punkin is a much better choice for pure pumkiness.

9/11/2009. Updating review. Had it again on tap yesterday and this years is better than last. Much more pumpkin, way more tasty in general. Upping the smell score and taste score. Very yummy pumpkin beer.

9/11/2010. Updating review. Had it yet again on tap today. This years version is pure bliss. Less spice, more hops and way more drinkable. This may be the best year ever for Pumking. Awesome.

8/31/2012. Updating review for 2012 version. I see i missed the tap version last year. I was lucky enough to get a sixtel of this wonderful beer this year for home. To update this years flavor, I am once again getting tons of cinnamon, vanilla, caramel, brown sugar and spices. Pumpkin flavor is again lower, but damn, how is this beer that good? Less hops this year, but creamier and smoother and the alcohol is almost non-existent on the tap version. What a superb beer I will enjoy over the next 2 months. The big question is, will I be sick of it by the end of the keg. Stay tuned.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Orange amber with almost no head. Some decent lacing. Smells of... surprise, pumpkin. Cinnamon, nutmeg, other spices. Like a freshly baked pumpkin pie. Tastes of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin... harvest flavors. The bready acts as a pie crust flavor too. MMM, pumpkin pie. Medium heavy mouthfeel and low carbonation.

Best pumpkin beer I've had yet.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company