1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

First impression, WOW, nice head, nice retention, Great smell, Spice, Pumkin, etc....

First smell and overall look, GREAT.

First taste, Spice, floral, too much up front,....like a first date gone bad....I looked forward to the first impression so much that the impression left something to be desired. This was my first Pumpkin Beer so I had to have my reserves, and I didnt want to hit the style in the negative.

First off the smell was amazing. The appearance was great, the head and lacing was pretty solid, the smell was out of this world,...last was the taste,....for me drain poor.

Sweet, nice spice, great abundance of smell and appearance, but taste was so off I couldnt finish. I wanted to so much because I read about the style so much. I would say that the taste of the style was on, but the for the style I would say that the spice kicked it WAY too much and turned me off the pumkin beers, I would never try again unless someone told me that the taste wasnt so harsh.

I would say that for the style this was close, but for me I couldnt stand to finish it....if that makes sense. If you like the pumkin beers try it, but for me, I coulldnt last.

Chris585, Oct 02, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz bottle into a snifter

Latest 2011 Release Bottled 09/09/11

A- Pours a golden honey orange with 1 finger worth of bright white head. Leaves decent retention and alcohol feet.

S- Wow smells like fresh pumpkin pie. Tons of pumpkin and breadiness like a graham cracker pie crust. The spices are dead on and loaded up. Also has that artificial buttered popcorn aroma.

T- Just like the aroma but better. Tons of fresh pumpkin and pie crust with hints of spice and buttered popcorn. The definition of a pumpkin beer.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice wet finish.

SkÅL!

Arenbeer, Oct 01, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

I've had 4 offerings of the bottled version since far this year, so im excited to finally get to try it on tap. On rap at rays place in Kent oh.

Appearance - A very transparent sunset orange that is the perfect fall color. It laces to Tue glass quite loosely, leaving no froth or head after the pour either.

Smell - like pumpkin pie. The same plethora of spice, cinnamon and nutmeg you get from the bottle. Very pleasing and warming

Taste - the on tap variation proves superior over the bottled one.The actual body of the beer seems heavier as compared to the bottle. This is definitely a good thing that fixes one of ky complaints from the bottle. Aggressive spice and delicious sweet notes.

Mouthfeel and drinkability - medium bodied, moreso than any of the 4 bottles I've had. Pleasant and spicy. Not very carbonated at all. Delicious. The sweetness can get to you after awhile.

Jesse13713, Oct 01, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this on 2011-09-28 at Al's of Hampden in Enola.

A - Very clear, pumkin-orange with a very short white head that fades quickly. No lacing.

S - Pumkin pie including the graham cracker crust. Not overpowering.

T - Initially, the graham cracker crust aserts itself followed by pumkin flesh, typical pie spices and a bit of fresh lemon. It finishes pretty dry with a a well-rounded taste that I liked quite a bit more than I expected.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Mildly syrupy/oily at first but the palate quickly clears from some effervescence and dryness.

O - Best pumkin beer I've had. A nice seasonal treat.

Tucquan, Oct 01, 2011

Let me sum this up - easily one of my new top few favorite beers. Anyway....Got this 22oz bomber at my job for $5, but it's standard $7.99 in New Jersey. Poured into a standard household 16oz glass. Basically room temp, maybe 50 degrees (honestly I could picture this beer being good heated up...just sayin')

Appearance- Orange/copper and super transparent. Head was made of oddly larger bubbles and head dies down quick, but can make a comeback when swirled. Not much lacing, but enough to let you know it's alive.

Smell- smells like Fall. Very bold pumpkin and a little spice. As far as hops go, I think they left them somewhat out of the question. (a little for preserving, i'm sure) tiny bit of alcohol, but extremely pleasant.

Taste- Out Of This World. Very bold beer with lots of pumpkin. Literally during a sip it transitions from, "ok, I get a lot of pumpkin" to Wham! more bold pumpkin, spice, well rounded alcohol, and overall autumn-y goodness. The aftertaste has a nutmeg, clove, and a modest amount of potpourri. Well distinguished flavors and a well tamed alcohol. It's like drinking pumpkin pie.

Mouthfeel- somewhat thick, with a mild sweetness. has a thick backbone to it on the finish.

Overall- If you see this and don't know if you want to spend the money...do it. That's my only beef with it is the price (case of 12, 22oz'ers in NJ is $90, $7.99 a pop) However, completely raises the bar for fall beers. It seems every other fall seasonal is just mediocre at best and I haven't fallen in love with any until this.

This would totally be sessionable if it weren't so high in ABV, but i'm a one or two strong beer per night drinker so I will no doubt be buying more.

keysofebony, Oct 01, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a clear coppery orange...a little too clear for my liking. The bright white head contrasts nicely with the darker drink, but doesn't last long.

Unlike a lot of other autumn beers that smell mostly like pumpkin spice, this actually smells like pumpkin.

The taste is a welcome change too, as like the smell, it's more reminiscent of pumpkin than pumpkin pie. There are some spices, nutmeg and cinnamon come to mind, but the beer is all about pumpkin and a bit of alcohol in the finish.

Medium-bodied, the beer starts off ever so sweet before giving way to mild cold weather spices. Eventually, the alcohol makes an appearance with slight heat in the swallow.

Overall it's a really good beer, different than most other fall beers I've had. As mentioned, while the spices are there, they don't dominate like in most beers, allowing the actual smell and taste of pumpkin to shine.

RickS95, Oct 01, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

I always like to give some insight into my preferences before a review. I am not usually a huge fan of pumpkin ales. I like to try them because they get me in the mood for Halloween. That being said: I would drink this beer every day if I could afford it!

Appearance: A nice, natural hazy orange. Little lacing is a creamy white.

Aroma: Mmmm.mmm...good! Heavy nose that actually smells like pumpkin pie. Very sweet smelling with a good blend of spices.

Taste: Pumpkin pie. Very sweet and natural tasting. I've had some ales that taste artificial, but this one tastes like real ingredients.

Well worth the $7.89 I paid for it.

drtacks37, Oct 01, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce “bomber” purchased for $7.69 at Pere Marquette Expeditions in Ludington, MI (a pleasant surprise I might add, as they don’t normally stock Southern Tier). I enjoy pumpkin ale and was hoping to get the opportunity to find some Pumking this year. The label displays a menacing jack-o-lantern wearing a crown. This king appears to be the of malevolent dictator variety.

The bottle was partially poured into a tulip glass. A horizontal pour manifested more than two fingers of head that quickly burned out in a noisy blaze of glory. Not many beers can claim to stimulate the sense of hearing. Before disappearing, the head is off white and quite frothy. The beer is straight up orange. It is probably the most orange beer this side of Four Loko. Fortunately, it doesn’t cross the line into artificial looking neon orange territory. A small amount of lacing does manage to tag along for the ride but there isn’t much in the way of visible carbonation. It’s a pretty still glass of beer. I’m going to call it a stalker.

I have never smelled this much pumpkin in any pumpkin ale. Many pumpkin brews lean on pie spices for aroma and flavor. This one goes full monty pumpkin. Along with pumpkin there is a strong buttery popcorn scent, with extra emphasis on the butter. Caramel fills the nose. Subtlety is not to be found, and to be honest, it is a bit overbearing in the nostrils.

This is a very unusual flavor as well. Much like the aroma, the buttery pumpkin combo takes charge, but is challenged in flavor by a formidable alcoholic heat. As the alcohol dissipates, some spice does enter the picture but seems subtle amid the onslaught of buttered popcorn Jelly Bellys and near-gag inducing alcohol. Keeping with the motif, the finish is laced in buttery diacetyl. This pumpkin ale is a very different animal and I must say that it’s really not my thing, although I do applaud the pumpkin-forward nature of the brew.

The mouthfeel is nothing to write home about either, despite the jacked up ABV and buttery flavor. Though medium bodied it still feels a bit light given the huge aroma and flavor footprints. Carbonation is mellow adding to the lifeless effect in the mouth.

So for those keeping score at home, Pumking is okay looking, intense in the nose, unusual tasting and not at all easy drinking. It’s also not an economical way to get a pumpkin ale fix. This is not a beer that I would recommend to the faint of heart. On the other hand, I’m tempted to grab another bomber to sit on for a year. I’m curious what this brew will do when the alcohol mellows out. Some extended solitary confinement in the cellar could be just what this wicked king needs.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
I don’t give a Schlitz for Pumking.

weizenbob, Sep 30, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Light golden orange, one mm head dissaptes quick to thin ring around inner glass.. moderatelace.

smells sweet rich pumpkin pie, vanilla whip cream.

taste sweet pumpkiny like real pumpkin pie for real.. stilll reminicent of The Pumking.. Not much changed.

Still Great, Still the King of the pumpkin Beers, Very subtle differences if any from previous.

hopking311, Sep 30, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at O'Shea's in Louisville. Poured into a Southern Tier Goblet.

Pours a vibrant orange with a small head. Nice lacing left on the sides of the glass. Smell is mild pumpkin, spice, and more pumpkin. Smells identical to a pumpkin pie coming out of the oven. Initial taste is liquid pumpkin pie and finishes off with a graham crust flavor. It is a amazing how close this beer tastes to an actual pumpkin pie. This beer is very smooth and is bit of a sipper. Nothing I could slam because of how sweet it is. This is a prime example of how a pumpkin ale should be brewed. Great example of a dessert beer.

brian44556, Sep 30, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A - poured a two finger head with little retention - some lacing - beautiful orange sunset colour

S - pumpkin, floral hops, nutmeg and cinnamon, cloves

T - follows the nose - nice full flavour to go along with the scent - pumpin pie in a bottle

M - meidum body with little carbonation - nice amount of bitterness - sweet yet dry

O - definitely the king of the pumpkin brews in my opinion - it really is something special

Stocean1, Sep 30, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

A: Pours a slightly hazy light orange color with a frothy white head that forms upon pouring, but it reduces very quickly, leaving only a very thin ring of foam around the ring. Minimal lacing.

S: Everyone says it smells like pumpkin pie, but I just don't get that. I still smell a cheap pumpkin candle aroma. Though I do get some crust.

T: Lots of spices and extremely sweet. Again, it does not really taste like a pumpkin pie to me, and I actually don't really get much pumpkin, mostly just the spices.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finishes extremely dry.

O: Just not for me, even though I know lots of people like it. Might give it try if someone offers it to me, but probably won't get another bottle.

mdaschaf, Sep 30, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A- golden orange color with a little bit of white head.

S- smells of pie spices with a heavy pie crust, Graham cracker smell, definately reminds you of a pumpkin pie.

T- its a very powerful taste. As with the smell, it is very similar to eating a bite of pumpkin pie. This beer is almost a bit too intense of flavors. Has a almost to much crust like flavor to it.

M-its a full body beer with a proper amount of carbonation.

O- its a good beer but its a bit too much for me. I think I would pass on it in the future.

vobr0002, Sep 30, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

A: Decent looking beer. It has good clarity but I thought it would have a little more of a darker color to it.

S: Smells of nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, and wheat. A little too strong of the spice smell. I like more of a subtly when it comes to a smell of a beer.

T: Much like the smell, it is just way too strong of spices. I like the thought they were going with with the various spices but I think it was just too overpowering.

M: Mouthfeel was fine. Medium carbonated, medium thickness.

O: Overall, I do not like this beer. It is one of the few times that I don't really want to finish a beer. Not the worst I've had, but I wouldn't recommend it.

TVolt1, Sep 30, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

A-Doesn't look the best, there wasn't much carbonation and a clear orange.

S-Pie, cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg and even pie crust?

T-Lots of cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg as well. Best described as pie in a glass.

M-Medium bodied, not that carbonated but very smooth.

O-Easily the best pumpkin ale out there. Did the tasting blind, and every one chose beer number nine which turned out to be Pumking. This is the pumpkin ale.

rlee1390, Sep 29, 2011
1.95/5  rDev -52.1%

Let me establish that:
1) I enjoy malty beers
2) I enjoy spiced ales, including many pumpkin ales
3) I love pumpkin pie
4) I'm a huge fan of Southern Tier.

Overall: I poured this beer out. Yes, you read that correctly. I hadn't poured out a craft beer in... honestly, I can't recall when. I truly gave this beer several chances at different temperatures to redeem itself, but in the end, I couldn't do it.

Appearance: Good-looking beer, dark in color, like a porter. Thin dark-tan head.

Smell: My fear was that the pumpkin spice would be intense in

Taste: It all started out so well. Smooth but spicy, warming alcohol, and then--WHAM!--a wall of something both intense and unpalatable. There's something pumpkin-y/squashy in there, which is good, but the overwhelming taste is of biscuit (pie crust?) soaked for a few days in warm water. I let it sit and tried several times, but with no change, I finally decided I couldn't punish myself further by choking it down. I'm hoping that I just got a bad batch (sounds like @XsoreXsubjectX might have, as well).

Mouthfeel: Malt body is full, but not overly chewy. Proper level of carbonation for an imperial-style beer.

beals, Sep 28, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Was in search of a pumpkin beer that tasted like pumpkin, not nutmeg or cinnabon buns. Pumking pours a beautiful, clear garnet, lots of vanilla and nutmeg emanate—no cinnamon. It's basically Pumkin pie with candy corn. Loved every drop and recommend taking at least two bottles at the store, they go fast.

hadesvi, Sep 28, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I have said this before, but I think I've finally found my favorite pumpkin ale. I'm not a fan of them, so previous statements like that have been more of a "lesser of two evils" sort of deal and I wasn't really all that thrilled with the beer, but gave it a pretty good review since I review to style. In this case, I actually enjoyed the beer.

Right off the bat, it's one of the clearest pumpkin ales I've ever seen and raises a nice, frothy beige head that settles to a thick crown and film, leaving behind rings of lace.

The smell is incredible. You'd swear that someone was roasting pumpkin seeds in a well-balanced spice mixture. I have to read up and see if they actually use roasted pumpkin seeds in the brew kettle. The malts are pretty strong as well, coming off as a fresh-baked sweet roll drizzled with caramel, but not that sweet.

The taste does follow the smell and strengthens my suspicions that roasted pumpkin seeds were used in the brewing process as there's a bitterness present that doesn't seem to be from hops. I imagine the seeds could impart this, but I could be wrong (as usual). It's still pretty darn yummy, but not quite as balanced as the nose.

It's got a crisp, medium body which is perfect for an early Autumn day which is not quite cold enough to go to the darker, heavier beers. It does leave behind some bitterness in the aftertaste.

Again, this is not only my new favorite pumpkin ale, but it now sits as one of my faves from Southern Tier. Nice job on making a style I really don't appreciate into something worth drinking each Fall.

Naugros, Sep 28, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

I bought a single 650mL bottle of this from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $6.49 in Fall 2011.

Pours a clear copper orange color with a lot of carbonation floating to the top of the glass but ceases in about 5-10 seconds as does the head. The scent is like a pumpkin pie with pureed pumpkin, cinnamon spice, and carmel. The taste is the best I've ever had in a pumpkin beer. It's smooth and clean but with lots of flavor. Great tastes of pumpkin and spices that blended nicely togther with the malts and hops used. It's so good I almost want to go grab some cool whip to throw on top! A must try for pumpkin beer lovers!

Lemke10, Sep 28, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -59.5%

Look, I know there are problems in the world bigger than shitty beer, but today, I feel like writing about shitty beer, damned be the bigger picture.

If you're short on time, just read this:

if your one of those people put-off by the thought of a beer that tastes like the soaking milk from a children's sugary breakfast cereal, don't drink it. If you want Cap'n Crunch-flavored beer, this Bud's for you.

For those for time to waste, here's the rest:
There's bad beer, and then there are just noxious flavors, flavors which perturb and revolt, painful flavors, culinary shrapnel. Whatever the holy hell this thing is, it's in the later camp.

Appearance: quite lovely, and promising. Autumnal oranges and browns, a frothy and bulbous off-white head, setting the tone.

Smell: the first sign that something is really, really up. As in a "this is just kind of unnatural" kind of scent. Notes of corn, sugar, malt, cinnamon, maple, nutmeg, and fermentation.

Taste: milk from a bowl of Cap'n Crunch cereal, soaked 20 minutes, plus marshmallow-coated beer-vomit. One of those tastes that never stops being shocking, sip after sip. A pumpkin flavor undergirds the whole operation, but it is trampled and distorted by an embarrassment of sugar and corn. Still, this is the most pumpkin-pie-y of the beers of the Pumpkin Ale set that I've ever tried, but this proves to me that sheer massiveness of taste does not do this genera any favors. Previously, I've had a hard time getting on board the pumpkin ale train because of weakness of flavor, but today, I've experienced the precise opposite, which has indirectly made more desirable the weaker pumpkin ales. I needed to wash this out of my mouth, and decided on toothpaste.

Mouthfeel: quite nice. Chewy, sparkly, full. A nice rip of carbonation between satiny smoothness. Good enough for a great beer, but the taste bars any enjoyment here.

Overall: As I said before, it smacks eerily of the milk used to soak children's breakfast cereal. I must state here that, though I am certifiably a hop-head, I adore sweeter, heavy beers, and I chose this hoping for a little spiced magic. Instead, this is really the worst beer I've tried in recent memory, and I'm surprised at its poor performance considering the excellent reputation of the brewery. It is a brewery which has done me right many times, but I have to say that this is just brutally unpleasant.

Things I would rather consume than this beer:

- alligator semen
- shotglass of Cool Water cologne
- smirnoff ice "green apple crisp" 32oz
- a gallon of Sunny Delight
- a gallon of Orbtiz, the questionably tapioca-infused soft drink
- a full-to-the-brim gallon of bum wine (see: Nighttrain, Cisco, Wild Irish Rose, Boone's Farm, etc)
- a half-cup of olive oil
- 12 PBR's
- mexican drinking water

Oof.

XsoreXsubjectX, Sep 28, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

A translucent golden/orange. Foams up a bunch like soap bubbles but quickly just becomes some small puddles. A lot of carbonation running up the sides. Aroma has notes of nutmeg, fresh cut pumpkin and dough. Flavor is crisp upfront with a lot of nutmeg and cinnamon. Buttery smooth, doughey pie middle that leaves. The pumpkin flavor carries throughout the middle and finish and it leaves a crisp bite. Part of it from the carbonation and the spices. Body is light for a lot of pumpkins out there and all the flavors are subtle but you know they are there. The alcohol content is a surprise.

DrinkingDrake, Sep 28, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A: semi copper and clear. Thin, tan head that dissipates quickly.
S: graham cracker crust dominates and it smells tremendous. Some spice and obviously pumpkin are present as well.
T:sweet the graham cracker crust and its sweetness is all over the front. The pumpkin and spice are also huge here and they blend nicely. Toward the back, there is some bitterness which does well to cut the sweetness. A nice warming sensation as it goes down.
M: full bodied with a nice crispness.
O: one of the better pumpkin ales I have tried and worth the effort finding it. Its really stands out for two reasons. One, the ingredients are high quality and you can tell in the flavor. Two, despite the heavy graham and pumpkin, you never lose the fact that this is indeed a beer. Well done.

Infamous7100, Sep 28, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Pours a hazy dark orange color, very minimal head.

S - Smell is dominated by a graham cracker pie crust, with some spices mixed in, but predominately you can pick up the crust.

T - Taste is also heavy on the pumpkin pie. The graham cracker crust and the nutmeg/cinnamon spice combination dominate. As it warms a bit of a vanilla/cream taste emerges. Noticeable alcohol warming

M - Rich mouthfeel, rather creamy.

O - Another big ST beer, another winner. One of the top pumpkin beers out there. I look forward to this every fall.

jman892, Sep 27, 2011

I was a little dissapointed when i saw that the ABV percentage got knocked down again...im pretty sure 3 years ago it was 10%.

But either way at 8.6 it is still rather boozy.

All in all this is the most gorgeous smelling and tasting beer on the market if youre going for pumpkin or sweet. There is no argument that this is the best pumpkin beer on the market.

I consider myself a Pumking advocate, ive introduced countless friends to this brew and everyone freaks out everytime.

It's like drinking a boozy slice of pumpkin pie!

FLOglida, Sep 27, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +13%

Split 22oz Bottle in Charleston, SC from Charleston Beer Exchange. Brown sugar&cinnamon rim for funsies.

Appearance- Light copper, less than 1/2 inch head.

Smell- Graham Cracker! This is my favorite part of the pumking, pumpkin pie crust. Spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cardamom) in the background.

Taste- Pumpkin pie crust and slight ginger hint. Encompasses the overall PUMPKIN PIE that brewers are after.

M- Heavy for a pumpkin beer, sticky on the tongue. Different from an imperial.

O- Best pumpkin beer (so far) of the '11 season! I hope to recreate THIS beer in my first homebrew. Graham cracker flavor is the key; we're going to use graham cracker flavoring in the second rack.

mckemp, Sep 27, 2011