Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

2012 bottle poured into a tulip glass on 8/8/12. Yeah, yeah - early but I wanted to try this so badly I don't even care.

Pour: Amber orange with two fingers puffy white head that recedes to a film. No lacing.

Smell: Pumpkin, butternut squash, nutmeg, hazelnut, cinnamon. When first poured at the prescribed 40 degrees, I got more hazelnut, and some banana bread.

Taste: Pumpkin puree, nutmeg, hazelnut, cinnamon. Banana bread was there while it was colder. This is freaking delicious.

Mouthfeel: Really nice carbonation, and no trace of alcohol.
Wait, where'd that bomber go?

Overall: I wanted to be disappointed by this... but oh my god this is so tasty. I will be buying this a lot.

4.98/5  rDev +22.7%

I always respect Southern Tier's flavored beers. I'm usually not a fan of such, as I dislike the overbearing stickiness of many flavored beers; however, I felt adventurous that particular day, and I have had many of Southern Tier's brews before and they did not disappoint.

When I poured the beer into my glass, the first waft of pumpkiny goodness hit my nose and I was absolutely floored. It smelled like a cold pumpkin pie, settled with all of the appropriate spices. It had a nice head to it, a really pretty color, and most importantly, it didn't have that overly-carbonated feel to it that many other beers have. I was so excited to try it!

The first sip I had didn't offer as much punch as I had expected, but I realized that it possibly be due to my olfactory senses being overwhelmed by such awesomeness. By the second or third sip, I was in beer heaven. It tastes like pumpkins, fall-time, and everything I love about the autumn season. I couldn't believe the amount of smoothness and the robust, yet playful flavors. Yes, "robust yet playful" is extremely cliche, but there are no other words. I finished the whole thing faster than I should have and soon opened another.

Whatever price you have to pay for this beer, pay it. Seriously, it's like Southern Tier is the Wonka Factory of beer.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Review from 9/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a rich orange amber with slight head, but nice lacing from what's there. Strong, delightful pumpkin aroma. Tastes of pumpkin, spices and malt; medium mouth feel, creamy. Sweet, but is nicely balanced. One of the best pumpkin ales. Delicious.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I tried at least 10 pumpkin beers/ales last fall trying to find the perfect balance of taste and smoothness. I found it with this ale.

While most beers/ales we either too sweet or have too little flavor this had my expectations.

After trying it the first time I drove back to the store and picked up the rest of their stock.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company