Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,803 | Reviews: 1,868

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Bought this on clearance at a local shop for $3, saw good reviews so I figured I would give it a shot.

Poured into an Ommeggang beer glass.

A: Poured right out of the fridge and into the glass. Pours a gorgeous golden color with a hint of orange to it. A medium sized head, and just all around gorgeous.

S: Smell is ungodly. Smells exactly like a pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. It is an amazing smell, likely one of the best smelling beers I have ever come across. Instantly filled the air with this aroma. Almost worth buying solely for the smell.

T: Taste is amazing, tastes just as it smells. It is like astronaut food haha, tastes exactly like pumpkin pie. One of the few beers that the taste matches the aroma. Well done.

M: Very smooth and great mouthfeel. Am usually not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but this one has completely changed my mind.

O: Amazing aroma, great taste, and just an overall well well done beer. I will rarely give a beer a 5.0 but this is one beer that I feel is quite deserving of it.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

650ml bottle 8,6% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
There is a bottle date, but I can hardly read it. I can see that the year is 2011 so I assume it is the latest batch.

I have never had a pumpkin ale - this should be interesting!

Appearance: Clear, deep golden body topped by a good sized white head. Good head retention and patchy lace.

Smell: Holy Moses!!! This smells just like a spicy pumpkin laced dessert! Ginger nut biscuits, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, pie crust, brown sugar cover roast pumpkin, a hint of citrus peel and banana bread are all present in the glass! How on earth Southern Tier cram all of this into a bottle is beyond me - all I know is that it smells delicious I would not be opposed to sniffing this all day long!

Taste: Mmmmm, the flavour follows on from the nose with ginger nut, cinnamon, nutmeg allspice, pie crust, sweet roasted pumpkin (stronger than in the nose) and some citrus peel. This is absolutely delicious!
The reason I did not award full marks was that I found the hop bitterness in the finish seemed a little out of place among the other dessert like flavours. My personal preference would be to loose the bitterness in favour of a little more sweet brown sugar (I know most wont agree with me on this).

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a pleasant, moderately high level of carbonation. While the mouthfeel is good, I think a slightly stickier body and a tad less CO2 would push this beer up a notch.

Overall: This is certainly one of the strangest beers I have had, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and will certainly be having this again in the future!

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company