Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,809 | Hads: 6,856
3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

I have to preface this with I don't drink Pumpkin beers often, they are my wive's favorite seasonal, so I try them with her. This was an interesting one. First thing, the color, orange. The carbonation are gigantic bubbles and the smell, spice, all spice, nutmeg, something else. I don't detect the alcohol or the hops in the smell at all, even though the bottle claims that the hops are there. they are lost. the flavor of the beer is overwhelmed with spice. I realize that this is the point of these beers. There is an odd aftertaste of nutmeg. I'm pretty sure it was nutmeg. I don't really detect any OBVIOUS pumpkin in the flavor. There is a bright sweetness in the beer that I feel blocks out the pumpkin flavor. If I concentrate I can detect it, but it is not forward. It is hard for me to rate this beer, so I gave it a higher rank that I normally would have. I think it accomplishes what the makers want to accomplish and pumpkin beer fans will probably be relatively pleased with this beer. (999 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

I have been waiting to review this for quite some time, quite possibly my favorite pumpkin beer in existence. This is a real treat, and my friends introduced it to me on tap in a goblet last year. I am reviewing a 22 oz bottle poured into a Belgian snifter.

A - This pours a BRIGHT orange. It is perhaps the most orange beer I have ever seen. Very clear but vibrant color. You know you are in for something unique already. The head disappears quickly but in this case that's a good thing. This is how a pumpkin ale should look like.

S - I agree this is perhaps the best smelling pumpkin beer there is. WOW. Rich and spicy. Smells more like a baked pumpkin pie than beer! Smells more bready than other pumpkin ales, and not just full of spice.

T - Wow. Sweetness up front followed by spice and pumpkin. The lasting flavor is of pumpkin pie and buttery crust. I don't know how they infuse a crust taste into this beer but it's like drinking liquid pumpkin pie! I get some notes of vanilla in the aftertaste as well as even more pumpkin! At the end I get a slight hoppiness. My only complaint is that you can really taste the booze about halfway through, but the other tastes are just sensational. Such a treat in the fall.

M - Creamy and thick, it almost FEELS spicy to your mouth.

D - This beer is meant to be savored, I suggest pouring it and noting how the flavor changes as the beer comes to room temperature, as is my approach to rich stouts. A bomber usually satisfies me quite well.

I am asking the store to order me a case of this one so I can have one on special occasions over the holidays, I like it that much. If you see this one please please please give it a try after a good fall meal, it is truly outstanding. Each sip leaves me wanting more. This beer is so good and it is sad that it only comes once a year. Another amazing big beer from Southern Tier! (1,876 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18.9%

22 oz poured into watou goblet

appearance: burnt orangish red, initially plumy head that quickly dissapates but still leaves some nice lacing

smell: aroma is of wow you guessed it pumpkin!!! not nutmeg, cinnamon, freakin pumpkin that was roasted. This smells like roasted squash

taste: Tastes like wooow pumpkin!!! i mean it is really straight forward, you get some vanilla, enough of a hop prescence to make it balanced and enjoyable, hops just kind of keep it from being heavy, flavors definitely of vanilla and caramel

overall: Clearly the best pumpkin beer i have ever had and the best from a larger production brewery for sure, the abv is not evident at all which is dangerous, well done southern tier, i think people are rating this just as a beer, cause as a beer its good, well really good but within the style its king , says so on the bottle too (860 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

On-Tap

The king has a dirty orange brown look to it with a lot of bubbles within. Overall a nice off white/tan cap sprung above the liquid. Smells consisted of NUTMEG, pummkin,with a big dose of spices with sweet malts backing. The taste is pretty much the same with no intrusion of hops giving off bitter vibes. This one is silky smooth with some minor heat but a big aftertaste of octoberness. A well above medium feel with great drinkable capabilities. I hate pumpkin beers, but for some reason ST always pushes the envelope, and with this style, it works. (560 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -46.9%

So I originally reviewed PumKing October 2009. It was my first pumpkin beer and I really really liked it. In fact I gave it a score of an A (4.25). But something strange happed this year. I bought a bottle and tonight excidedly cracked it open only to find a beer nearly undrinkable. Unable to identify the flavors and aromas I was experiencing I looked to some other ba reviews until someone hit the nail on the head. Jelly Belly buttered popcorn jelly bean. That's it. No pumpkin anywhere. A tiny tiny amount of some cinnamon and nutmeg but the butter flavor dominates in a terrible way.
How can a beer change so much in from year to year? Is it my tastebuds? Whatever it is I don't think I can finish this bottle. This is a major disappointment.

****Original review****
4.25/5.00

From a bomber into a duvel tulip.

Pours a golden orange with rust colored highlights. A hard pour produced a good inch and a half of thin lacey white head.

Smell WOW!! This is one of the best smelling beers ever. Pumpkin,nutmeg,cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar. Amazing aroma. Close your eyes and you are having pumpkin pie on thanksgiving.

Taste is awesome. This is my first pumpkin beer and so far i like the style a lot. Flavor is straight up pumpkin pie. Cinnamon, nutmeg brown sugar.

Smooth creamy luscious mouthfeel. Very light and fresh. Light on the carbonation.

Drinkability is off the charts. The 9% abv. is next to invisible.
As my first Pumpkin Ale this one is a winner. (1,472 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

Excited to see this on tap at 6 & Save.

Poured into a tulip, beautiful shiny orange body, transparent with gold highlights. Thin white head that disappeared & didn't really leave any lace. This is how I'd expect a pumpkin ale to look, the color is dead on.

Smell's awesome: baking spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin. A rich, delicious smell. Kind of buttery, like a homemade graham cracker crust.

Taste is following the smell with some sugar & a little bit of a bitter finish. The booze is well-hidden. Leaves a slightly dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side for a beer of its strength, but it's smooth. Doesn't attack anywhere in particular.

Drinks great, & the ABV sneaks up on you. This beer reminds of so many good things about autumn (including my wedding -- my wife & I toasted with this). A little jarring that they introduced it in mid-August this year, but what the hell? Another example of what Southern Tier seems to really shine at: rich, delicious dessert beers. (987 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +0.2%

I love all things fall like no other. So when my local beer shop got this in I had to jump on it. It pours a clear orange hue with a tiny bit of creamy beige head. The aroma is unbelievable! It smells so much like pumpkin pie it's ridiculous. I feel like I'm standing in the local farmers market, buying a bag of apples and a fresh pumpkin pie. I'm so longing for those crisp cool afternoons with college football and a warm hoodie. They say the olfactory senses are the most linked to memory. This beer is like a scrap book of autum. The flavor is a tad less of a memory kicker. Pumpkin flavor is there but, I'm getting more vanilla and a smooth nuttiness. I taste clove and nutmeg which is a given in anything pumpkin. At least if it wants to feel like pumpkin. The alcohol is very present with a nice warming effect that is felt with every sip. I can't wait to sip on this beer once the weather turns here in Wisconsin. I can imagine sitting by a fire on a cool Saturday afternoon and toasting with the King. The Pumpking. (1,025 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%

A - The color on this one was nice...a deep orange/amber body but it was very clear...not much of a head but left some lacing

S - Southern Tier knows how to make their beers smell...this one is full of your typical pumpkin pie spices...clove, nutmeg, cinnamon...spot on

T - This is one of the best pumpkin beers I've had (not my style)...it takes you through every ingredient...the pumpkin pie spices roll around the palate very pronounced...clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon...some sweet notes of vanilla are mixed in...and those spices linger throughout the whole thing...at the end is the real kicker...you don't notice it right away but there is an oh-so subtle hop presence at the very end...I love the complexity and balance of this beer

M - Medium bodied...smooth, creamy, spicy, and a nice hop bite

D - This isn't my style...but I really liked this one...the nose is amazing and the flavor all mix together nicely...this one tastes like a pumpkin pie...but just watch out for that 9% ABV! (994 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Pours a medium golden with a slight amber hue, 1" head which recedes to a thin layer struggling to stay afloat...

Smell: Smell is of rich, fresh toasted barley--reminiscent of the smell coming from an all-grain mash. Light caramel, not much if any pumpkin evident.

Taste: Sweet pumpkin pie, heavy on the whipped cream. Allspice and sweet toasty barley linger after each sip. Hop bitterness is evident on the tongue a bit after each sip, but taste is just enough to balance out the pumpkin pie sweetness. Slight hint of alcohol with the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation--a good combination for a smooth ride down.

Drinkability: Nice to see a pumpkin beer that isn't overspiced. The sweet barley balances out nicely with the pumpkin sweetness and hops. Lingers then fades with each sip, leaving you wanting more...

Is if Fall yet? (871 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a pale golden color that produces a short-lived white cap head that leaves no lacing

S: Amazing! Pie crust!! Pumpkin puree, nutmeg, cinnamon and more. Very hard to explain, but the pie crust note is amazing

T: Hoppier than I knew it could be, malty as well. Pie crust, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg. Very spicy and delicious. Truly captured the pumpkin pie scent and flavors and bottled that into this delicious brew. The best part is the graham cracker flavor that resembles the crust. Really nicely done!

MF/D: Viscous for the style. Graham cracker and pumpkin puree finish. Alcohol is well concealed, thus making this really addicting.

Notes: Definitely one of the best pumpkin ales out there. The spices in this are not as intense as others, and ST really captures the "pumpkin pie" flavor, crust and all. (824 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

far and away my favorite pumpking beer, and im a huge pumpkin beer guy

A: pours an attractive dark orange/dark amber color. One finger head with some lacing

S: the folks at southern tier are the masters of getting a beer to smell amazing, and this beer is the shining example. An olfactory masterpiece. The smell is pumpkin pie with a graham cracker spice, occompanied by all the usual pumpkin pie spices, mostly nutmeg and vanilla

T: amazingly, the taste is not far off from the smell. I taste pumpkin(of course), nutmeg, graham cracker, vanilla, carrot, and a few other spices. Its unlike any other pumpkin beer i drink.

M: this is not a heavy beer by any means, but it isnt too thin either.

D: i gave it a relatively low drinkability, not because its not the best pumpkin beer ive ever had, because it is, but because the spices and tastes are so unique and overwhelming that i really wouldnt want more than one. This is a special occasion beer, not something you have every day. I keep a stash for halloween and thanksgiving. (1,034 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours an amber/orange color with a little over a finger of head in my 25 oz. snifter. Smell is mainly spices and pumpkin pie. Upon first sip I feel like I am chewing on a ball of nutmeg. This is very unique and unfortunately rather gross for my palate. I suppose if it was reviewed to style this would be a high score, but in the grand scheme of things it is just not a drinkable beer. There is an extremely unpleasant aftertaste that almost made me want to vomit....it didn't taste that bad actually going down though, just in the aftertaste. I had to drain pour this, it is not for me. (587 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a golden amber color with a nice one and a half to two finger head. The head gives way to very good lacing. The aroma is of pumpkin and some nutmeg and a hint of vanilla. The overall taste is very good. It is of pumpkin and some nutmeg with a hint of vanilla. There is a small hop presence in the taste as well. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. It has a light carbonation. The drinkability is very high which could be a problem since it has a higher alcohol content than most pumpkin beers. This is one of the top pumpkin beers out there. If you see it go for it and try it. (583 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +21.3%

I didn't have a goblet... so it was poured in a tumbler.

a- The color was orange/amber and cloudy. There was little head when the beer was poured. Leaves some lacing.

s- I absolutely love the smell of this beer. You can pick up the spices... but it finished with a hint of vanilla. It definitely reminds me of the fall.

t- The first few seconds this beer tastes similar to other pumpkin beers (spicy). However, after the initial spiciness the beer is finished off with vanilla. It's comparable to pumpkin pie in a bottle. The more sips you take... the more profound the vanilla taste becomes. It is also very smooth. This beer is very sneaky... I don't detect a high alcohol content when I'm drinking this beer.

m- I would not consider this a light nor a heavy beer. It fell right in the middle. I typically find pumpkin ales very spicy... but this beer finishes extremely smooth for me.

d- For being a 9.00% beer this pumpkin ale is very drinkable. The alcohol will definitely sneak up on you. You ask if I would ever get another bottle.... let's just put it this way. I was given a bottle to try. I called back the very next day and asked the beer distributor to put the last $70 case in the back for me.

I loved this beer style in general. Fall is my favorite season for beer. I particular love pumpkin ales. I think Southern Tier put a new wonderful twist on it with the vanilla. (1,395 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -1%

This review is from my notes from last September.

This beer pours a perfectly clear amber with tiny bubbles rising from the center. A big, thick, white foamy head sits on top.

The smell is intense; the spiciest smell I've ever smelled in a pumpkin ale! It smells like real pumpkin pie. Cinnamon, clove and nutmeg.

Taste just like overspiced pumpkin pie. Nutmeg and spice flavors are very pungent. This beer blew my mind with its complex flavor, but quickly became very cloying. I slowly enjoyed my first glass and would have a lot of trouble having more than one of these.

The mouthfeel seemed a bit thin on this beer. A creamier, velvety consistency would've nice with the complex spice flavors. This beer has a medium amount of carbonation, enough to keep it from getting syrupy.

This beer would've been good with dessert. It is certainly unusual and worth a try if you like pumpkin ales. (896 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +20.1%

You knew it was only a matter of time before someone came out with an IMPERIAL pumpkine ale.

This beer poured a clear orange body with an almost non existant head.

Nose is INSANE. Strong shortbread, sweetbread and pumpkin. Very dark sugar, not a whole lot of pumpkin pie spice. There's just enough Pumkin pie spice to give it some mild notes, but sooo perfectly in balance. The thing this is, this is the most in you face pumpkin smell I've ever smelled anything like this. It's like Pumking times 50. damn!!!

Taste is full to medium bodied with an immediate strong pumpkin flavor. Not a pumpkin pie spice strong mind you, this is all natural pumpkin meat flovor. Very sweet with loads of pure sugar snap pumpkin. Honestly, that's it. PUMPKIN, PUMPKIN, PUMPKIN!!!! There's some very mild pumpkin pie spice. Some touches of cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg, but it's like licking pure natural pumpkin. Wow!!!!

Holy fucking shit. I had this beer on tap with a sugar/cinnamon spice rim and thought it was great, but just sitting back and enjoying the base of this beer, wow!!! This is hands down the best pumpkin beer ever brewed. This is amazing. it's like drinking a beer brewed from pure pumpkin (1,197 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +0.7%

22 oz. bottle, fall 2008 version, sampled 9/24/08. Brewed to 19 plato with two-row, crystal, and pureed pumpkin; bittered with magnum and finished with sterling. It pours a crystal-clear copper, with medium carbonation, and a finger of tan head that attempts to lace the glass. Lots and lots of pumpkin in the nose, along with spices and toasted graham cracker. The aroma refuses to quit. Fairly similar flavor, with notes of vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon complementing the pumpkin rather than overwhelming it. There's a breath of alcohol at the start, but this airs out over time. In addition, there is a light sweetness, and some late hop bitterness that is a touch high, but necessary for proper aging. Not too heavy on the palate, with decent carbonation and a nice finish. This is a pretty delicious brew, delivering probably the most authentic pumpkin pie flavor of any in the style, going so far as to include the graham cracker crust. It also seems engineered for aging - what with the higher-than-average alcohol and bitterness. I'm quite confident the flavor will mature and improve over a year or two, by which time this will be a divine autumn beverage. (1,164 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

Sampling a 6 month old bottle cellar aged and cellar temp poured into a snifter. the beer pours a slightly cloudy peach color with some ruby highlights. A fizzy and creamy eggshell white head foams up 3.5 cm with a slightly aggressive pour. Great lattice develops as the head fades.
Aroma is grainy and sweet with some spices as well, but no label indication of spices added. A general pumpkin scent is very strong and is somewhere between floral, nutty, and sweet brown sugar. Closer to nutty I would say, guess general pumpkin scent works, not pumpkin pie, just pumpkin.
First sip reveals an average to lite body with almost no carbonation. Very silky smooth texture that effortlessly rolls across my palate.
Flavor is some sweet caramel and pumpkin flavor. No hops or booze here. I get the nutty pumpkin hits throughout and onto the finish with again a general spiciness that may be cinnamon or allspice? Again not on label, could just be my mind adding it to the pumpkin flavor.
Pumpkin lingers a bit and the beer generally finishes clean and smooth.
The beer is easy to drink with no booze hitting at all. Not your typical pumpkin pie in a bottle beer either.
One drawback is the 22 oz bottle size. I find that towards the end the general sweetness is becoming too cloying and makes the beer a little less enjoyable for drinking. (1,334 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -4.7%

Sampled through the efforts of Bentk56 and Secret Bunny 09 BIF.

Clear amber colored beer with a small off-white head that doesn't last. Slight chill haze.

Very nutty smell with a caramel candy and pumpkin pie spice aroma. You can smell the pumpkin too but that isn't the only scent. Pretty close to Pumpkin Pie in a glass.

The taste starts out sweet nutty and spicy. Long lasting caramel aftertaste with an emphasis on the vanilla. Strong hazelnut flavor to this one. Doesn't change much as you drink it, pretty much pumpkin pie in a glass.

Mouthfeel is OK.

This is OK but not really something I would look forward to drinking two glasses of a night. Sweet taste starts to get old after a while. That plus I'm not too fond of hazelnut flavor anything except hazelnuts. Same as Coffee should be coffee flavored! (815 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

I know it's not Halloween or Thanksgiving but thanks to Bobsy I get to try this little treat tonight. Cheers to Rob!

22oz pours a rosy orange that glints almost pinkish in the light. Little head that quickly disappears, leaving faint lacing.

Smell is intense. Nutty hazelnut mixed with pumpkin and nutmeg galore, hints of cinnamon - like a nutty pumpkin pie.

Taste is pumpkin right up front followed by a bucket of nutmeg. There's a slight breadiness to it that reminds you that this really is a beer, a slight nuttiness (hazelnut again), cinnamon, some warming alcohol in the finish.

I don't know if this is really my thing. Definitely a sipper and I feel it needs to be paired with something to offset the monster flavors: cheese, dessert, something. Just a little too spicy and pumpkin-y without the basic tenants of beer being there to balance it out. That said, if it were Halloween or Thanksgiving I might seek this out again to give it another chance. (963 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a bottle traded to me by rockstarnati, who is an awesome trader.

A: Poured a light orange hue which was only slightly opaque under a short 1/2 finger off-white head that didn't hold very long.

S: Whoa! Whomever described this as a Yankee "Pumpkin Pie" candle in a bottle was spot on. I smelled that candle. Lovely aromas of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar.

T: What an ingenius idea to use the bready characteristics of the malt to create a flavor that tastes *exactly* like a graham cracker crust. Also, PUMPKIN!! Wow, it's all right there. I've not had another beer that carried quite so accurate and comparable a flavor as this does to pumpkin pie.

M: I was expecting a cloyingly sweet concoction only appropriate for dessert. Not so here. It certainly isn't cloyingly sweet, and I love that. There is definitely a slight dryness in the finish and an absence of the cloying sweetness that permeates some of the other pumpkin beers in the world. Is is still firmly a beer. Love it.

D: Dangerously drinkable. The alcohol is so well hidden and the taste is so spot on that one could easily get into trouble. This beer has risen to being well within my top ten "most delicious" list. Love me a pumpkin ale. If you're also a fan of the style, there simply is no substitute that will take you back to the family Thanksgiving dessert tradition like Pumking does. (1,385 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +0.7%

Now this is a pumpkin beer. If you want to know what this tastes like, let me put it to you like this: Yankee Candles Pumpkin Spice candle in a beer form. The minute you pop the top you are hit with an abundance of pumpkin and spice of which I've never seen in a pumpkin beer. This is extremely well done. I think the only thing that this would need would be some kind of sweetener to balance out the taste a little bit. The spice is abundant and dominating. At 9% you're going to feel this one a bit as well. This would be absolutely wonderful to drink outdoors sitting around a campfire. My new favorite pumpkin beer without a doubt. I'll surely be drinking a few more of these. Well done Southern Tier. (705 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a good pumpkin beer, with the title of it being "too much" this beer is a nutmeg bomb. It smells like straight pumpkin spices and ginger bread. At 10% or so, this is the perfect beer to sit around the fire with on a nice october night. It must be served ice cold, or it gets a little "boozy" It is sweet and a little syrupy but overall satisfying. (355 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

The Pumking pours up with good effervescence that creates an inviting lacy, cream colored head that nicely crowns the orangish amber-deep copper body. Great head retention for a spiced beer. The vast aroma carries lots of spices (allspice, annatto, cinnamon, clove, ginger, nutmeg, marjoram, vanilla) encompassed by an enticing caramel (burnt sugar), honeydew (musk melon) fruitiness, graham cracker, sweet maltiness. Alcohol is well intigrated. The flavor is sweet at first then the spices & hops come into play to balance things out. There's really a lot going on here with something new with each sip. There's an interesting nuttiness (annatto, hazelnut?) that adds to the overall complexity. This medium-full bodied SHV beer is quite creamy & surprisingly well-balanced for its spicing & strength. Definitely one of the better Pumpkin Ales that I've ever had. Enjoy this "pumpkin pie in a glass" by itself or paired with some ripened Camembert or French Neufchâtel (Farmer's cheese) with fresh harvest fruit. Here's to the Great Pumking!

CHEERS! Beertracker (1,063 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

I have had this beer several times on tap, and have been aging a case for a while, with the occasional breakdown of will and cracking open of a 22 oz. bomber.

Appearance - a luscious, hazy orange color that practically defines the fall season, creamy head, a beautiful beer

Smell - overpowering: pumpkin pie, cinnamon, brown sugar, candied figs, nutmeg, graham cracker, a slight earthy aroma buried ibehind it all

Taste - wow. a pumpkin beer that tastes like pumpkin pie, not merely a suggestion of pumpkin aroma with sugar and spice wafting through it. it's hard to believe it's liquid.

Mouthfeel - clearly a bigger beer, with a mouthfeel that shares many characteristics with a beer like Franziskaner's Hefe, although the carbonation here is lower (almost not evident). slight grainy texture, but covered by creaminess

Drinkability - more please.

One of the best beers I've had. Period. (894 characters)

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company