Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,896 | Hads: 7,227
3.29/5  rDev -18%

poured from 22oz bomber into tumbler pint

this is not your typical pumpkin beer, actually this is not your typical BEER at all. appearance is semi normal, pretty golden orange copper, with a tiny head cap. smells of cookies and pumpkin pie. REAL pumpkin. it says right on the label that it is brewed with actual pumpkin and you can tell, and it is appriciated. taste is mainly sugar cookie up front. but you can definatley get the real pumpkin in the finish. this is the SWEETEST cookie.... i mean beer i have ever had in my life. mouthfeel is silky and smooth but drinkability is rough because of the insane amount of sweetness. i understand why people like it so much but for me, next time i open one i will be sharing the bomber with someone.

1.32/5  rDev -67.1%

I'm assuming this rating will come out to be one of the lowest of the group, so let me start with a disclaimer: I have loved all other Southern Tier beers, and bought this both b/c it was rated so high and I'm trying to work through all the ST brews. This is the first one that hasn't been excellent.

With that said, this is the worst beer I've had in a while. The only redeeming quality is the appearance. If you've ever eaten a buttered popcorn flavored Jelly Belly, then you now know what to expect in both the nose and the tastejk. And it's not like it's in the background or anything. I can't find any pumpkin in the nose- only butter. There's a slight hint of spice and pumpkin on the back of the palate, but it's crushed by the rancid popcorn taste. I almost gagged. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but I don't think I'm the only one who wonders where ST went wrong here.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Poured into my standard pint glass. Pours a deep amber color with a tan/mocha head, evidending its carbonation.

S - Earthy and slightly musty. Not an overpowering smell of nutmeg, cinnamon, more like puree.

T - I had this last year and did not particularly care for it so I decided to try again. For me, something just misses which is often the case for pumpkin seasonals. Either they are overly spiced or spiced so weakly that the pumpkin fails to come across. To me, this has an earthy taste with a mustiness to it. It has a fair amount of bitterness to it.

M - Typical for style, nothing noteworthy.

D - Like I said above, something just misses so I was glad to finish my glass and move on. Given how over the top some of the ST offerings are (Creme Brulee, Chololat, etc.) I was happy to some extent that this one was simply not an exercise of drinking liquid nutmeg. Still, on the other hand, I was hoping for more.

Amongst the pumpkin beers, I find myself liking some of the others much better (Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin for instance). I've tried this twice and each time came across not very impressed. Simply not my cup of tea.

4.21/5  rDev +5%

This is my second review of this beer... since trying it the first time, I've come to enjoy pumpkin beers much more...

A- Poured into a tumbler... orangish in color with very small head and very little lacing... slightly active

S- Very aromatic. Smells of buttery pumpkin, spices, and hints of vanilla

T- Sweet and spicy, with a hint of vanilla in the finish

M- Very little carbonation. Smooth and slightly heavier than I had expected. Hint of hop "bite"

D- Very. Tastes great, but could see the abv catching up with you eventually

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a Southern Tier bomber, and with the first whiff I could tell this would be another dessert beer. The beer is clear pale orange / pumpkin colored, with a whipped foamy head. The aroma is pure pumpkin pie, not just the spices but actual pumpkin in the pie. Sweet caramel malt, burnt sugar, ginger cookies. The taste is massively sweet, to the point of cloying, bitter on the back of the tongue, nearly undrinkable in its non-beerness. I've come to an understanding with Southern Tier beers, shy away from the ones with food in the name and definitely jump on the hoppy beers.

3.89/5  rDev -3%

Pours a two finger off-white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving no lace. Clear copper/amber color. Spicy sweet bread nose. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is sweet, cinnamon, pumpkin. Higher ABV is hidden. $6.49 for a 22oz bottle from Manchester Wine and Liquors Manchester, CT.

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance - Pours a clear, orange blossom honey color. Practically no head, and what little there is makes an early exit.

Smell - Subtle malt odor, very little hops, though slight earthy aroma present, no pumpkin pie spice smell. Smells like an APA

Taste - Straight off the bat this beer has a very unique taste. No pumpkin pie spice (I'll let you decide if that is good or bad). It's a slightly sweet beer, some bitter orange flavor. Almost has an artificial taste to it.

M- Has a great mouthfeel, good carbonation, medium bodies beer.

Drinkability - Despite the artificial taste, this beer is easy going, could lead to a messy night as the alcohol is completely masked.

4.44/5  rDev +10.7%

Ah, one for the ages. Finally was able to catch this delicious treat this year. We missed it by a month in 08. Truely a pumpkin-pie-lover's delight.

Poured into a goblet, the aroma opened up well with a sweet pumpkiny richness that was downright beautiful!

Have this for your Thanksgiving dessert. Grandma's recipe + a 9% ABV.

Happy Holidays!

4.13/5  rDev +3%

poured a clear copper with a frothy off-white head.

smell is much like pumpking bread or loaf. definetly a well roasted nutty flavor as well. some developed caramel sweetness in the end.

taste plays much off of the smell.

mouthfeel is full-bodied and nutty. pretty drinkable at 9%.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

I'm not a big fan of pumkin beer but I bought this because I think this brewery does really interesting things with beer flavors. The color is a good orange/gold. Decent carbonation but the best thing is the flavor and aroma. A lot of breweries use spices to create the pumkin experience, as those spices are what are typically cooked with pumpkin. I don't think this brewery does that. It' has a strong pumpkin flavor and aroma without all the winter spice which, for me, doesnt' work in beer. I think this is a great beer with a flavor that works for many occasions.

4.49/5  rDev +12%

Enjoyed this ST Pumking on a rainy Friday night. Poured into a pint glass and accompanied by a home-made chocolate brownie.

A: amber/orange color, nice and bright with a little thickness to it. solid finger+ of foam that dissipates quickly.

S: is it Thanksgiving yet? this baby literally smells like a pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin pie as much for the wonderful smell as I do the delicious taste so I just know I'm gonna enjoy this beer.

T: yep, as the aroma would suggest, tastes like a slice of pumpkin pie. there's really no other way to describe it. you'd never know this is a 9% beer, the alcohol taste is very well masked by the pumpkin and spice flavors. that said, by the end of the bomber I am definitely noticing the alcohol even if I can't taste it.

M: this was the one area of the beer that "disappointed" me, for lack of a better word. Carbonation was good, but I felt like once all those great pumpkin/spice flavors hit the tongue, the liquid just kinda disappeared. The flavors lingered, but I noticed the liquid was simply gone too quickly. I'm sure there's a technical term for this, but I don't know what it is or how to describe it better.

D: as I mentioned, I love pumpkin pie and really enjoy a good pumpkin beer. This and DFH Punkin Ale are right up there as my favorites in this style. I'll definitely go out and grab another bomber or two to enjoy with a real slice of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.

4.09/5  rDev +2%

Served in a tulip. Poured a translucent copper with a quarter inch skim that quickly dissipates into a bullseye. The nose is the best feature of this beer; pumpkin pie in a glass - cinnamon, graham cracker crust and all-spice. Taste consistent with nose; however, some caramel comes out, as well as a little booze. Mouthfeel is medium/light, with a pleasant and consistent level of carbonation and a little alcohol heat at the finish. Good drinkability on this, but definitely a sipper, as with most of ST's big beers.

4.29/5  rDev +7%

Holy cow. Or pumpkin. I would be really, really happy simply to smell this beer. I really don't need to drink it. It smells exactly, completely, like pumpkin pie-- even with a slight hint of vanilla for whipped cream.

So, as I said, I really don't need to do anything but smell it. I'd like to drink it though. It looks really drinkable, an extremely clear umber/amber (you could watch a movie through it), and upon sipping, its taste is almost everything the smell promised. More spice, and the subtle carbonation works very well to buoy the flavors.

It feels a little thinner than expected, and I might want a thicker feel if this was my dessert, but the light mouthfeel contributes to its palatability. And I am having serious problems believing it's a 9% beer based on taste alone, butthere's a good warm cheek and belly feeling...

The smell is slightly happier than the taste, but it's still incredibly tasty, and I'll be stocking up and waiting for the next brewing season.

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

This is by far, my favorite pumpkin beer.

The aroma and flavor are very closely linked. If you can think for a moment of a nice warm pumpkin pie complete with whipped cream, that is exactly what this beer smells like. In fact, it even has hints of egg-nog.

The beer is exceptionally clear, and a nice light orange hue.

The mouthfeel is well rounded and it's surprisingly easy to drink for an 9% beer. The alcohol is hidden very well.

This beer is a MUST HAVE for pumpkin beer lovers, and I highly recommend having it on tap. Out of the bottle a lot of the character of this beer is lost for whatever reason. TASTY!

3.64/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Fresh bottle acquired via trade thanks to mikeyv35. Thanks!

Pours clear and well, pumpkin colored with a short, yellowish headthat doesnt stick around long or leave too much lacing. Eventually, this settles down to a nearly headless orange brew in my tulip.

The smell is really great. Sweet and spicy with a certain buttery breadiness, this smells like a fresh pumpkin pie. Nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice abound.

The taste is a pretty big letdown. Weirdly dry for a Southern Tier offering, I would love a bit more sweetness to balance out the odd bitterness that seems to come from the pumpkin. The spiciness is all there, but theres a medicinal character that is pretty unpleasant. Despite the dryness, there's very little alcohol noticeable.

The mouthfeel is medium-full with bright, lively carbonation. Not a lot to complain about here.

The lack of alcohol and sweetness makes this beer dangerously drinkable at 9%, but unfortunately its not tasty enough to really be enthusiastic about the entire bomber.

Picked up a bomber of this at Binny's in Des Plaines, IL.

A: Pours a very transparent orange-amber color with a finger of white head that settles down to just a rim and small patch of white bubbles.

S: Amazingly, it smells just like pumpkin pie to me. Lots of pumpkin spice, nutmeg, clove...then a very subtle average macro lager type smell. The main smell is really awesome, but that background scent takes it down a bit.

T: Very similar to the pumpkin pie smells I noted; pumpkin spices, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, vanilla, graham cracker...there is a lingering lager beer flavor but it's even moreso subdued in the taste...no alcohol flavor at all

M: Pretty full bodied, with a smooth carbonation that doesn't have much bite and the mouthfeel fits this type of beer in my opinion

D: I wouldn't say I could drink a ton of this just because of the style. Pumpkin beers aren't supposed to be big session beers I don't think. However, this one does a pretty good job of having a nice balance of tastiness, intrigue, uniqueness and complexity that makes me want to keep taking more sips. This won't be my favorite beer, but I could see myselfl probably picking one or two up every October.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

(first review, so try not too be too critical)

22 oz. bottle.

Appearance - Medium amber with a tint of orange. Average head with some lacing.

Smell - Smells just like pumpkin pie!

Taste - Flavor is well balanced between malt/hops and the pumkin and spices. The malt is nicely balanced by enough hops to keep this beer from being cloying. I did rate the taste a little lower than the rest of the categories because I did feel a was missing something (possibly one or two spices??) Long, lingering finish that can even be tasted on the lips.

Mouthfeel - Good, as steated earlier, this beer is hopped well enough to keep it from being cloying or syrupy. It does coat the palate nicely.

Drinkability - Better than would be expected for an imperial pumpkin, which is what I based my score off of. Not a session beer by any means, but does well for what it is.

Overall a very nice Imperial Pumpkin. Worth the money in my opinion and one I would buy again.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

Pours a clear coppery color with an off-white dense head that lingered and clung to the goblet, good lacing.
Big pumpkin and spice right out of the bottle. Sweet honey-like undertones.
Smooth with a more subdued pumpkin flavor and a robust nutmeg and clove punch followed by the malt. A nice hoppiness comes through at the end to balance all this out.
Creamy and smooth on the palate. Slightly acidic but everything remains mellow.
Complex and well balanced. This works best as a nice post-meal treat.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

22oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a brilliantly clear, bright orange/copper color. A quickly dissipating slightly off white, 1/2 finger of foam makes a brief apearance and dies to some sparse bubbles on the surface.

S - Smells of fresh pumpkin, light nutmeg, cinnamon, and maybe a hint of bubblegum here. Spicy and sweet - just like a fresh pumpkin pie. Smells really good.

T - Wow! Liquid pumpkin pie. Plenty of pumpkin character comes thru (which is fairly unique in my experience with pumpkin beers - usually just get the spice), even with the good amount of spices here. Nutmeg, cinnamon, medium hop bitterness. Just the right amount of malty, sugary sweetness. All blend together just about perfectly.

M - Light to medium bodied. Good malt backbone gives enough thickness but isn't syrupy. Herbal and spicy flavors fill the mouth, give a slight cooling sensation. Carbonation is on the high side and gives a good, lively fizziness.

D - Good fall seasonal that fits well with the cool evenings. Nice and crisp...just feels like autumn. Gotta make sure I pick up another bottle and save for Thanksgiving...high level of alcohol limits drinkability, but is difficult to detect while drinking. This one could sneak up on you...

2.94/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a clear copper orange, decent creamy head with great lacing. Smells of mostly rich pumpkin pie, cinnamon pie crust, vanilla, touch of bourbon, just heavenly. Tastes much the same, very sweet with an almost sour pumpkin component, not very pleasing. Spicy bitterness gives way to grain sweetness and some black pepper. Finishes with some metal and toasted grain. Alcohol is present. Good full bodied mouthfeel.

A very big beer. The nose on this is amazing, too bad the taste falls apart. There were elements in the taste that i just found very off, the sour pumpkin, the metal like bitterness, almost astrigency, maybe from tannins or grain. I actually couldn't finish it, which is too bad, because its one of the best smelling beers ever.

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a deep amber color with minimal white head.

S- Smells like pumpkin pie or maybe pumpkin pie pudding.

T- Tastes like a sweet pumpkin pie. Sorry to be so simple but they pretty much nailed the flavor. The finish however does remind me of a hoppy ESB.

M- My only complaint is that I feel its a bit thin in body but I'm really pulling at thread here.

D- For a pumpkin beer any of whIch I would probably top out at havibg 2 this is pretty darn tasty.

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

This beer is by far the best pumpkin beer that i've ever had. i like the pumkin pie taste and they've nailed it. from the aroma full of malty cinnamon nutmeg and yes pumpkin to the full body and warm alcohol going down, it is one of the best parts of fall.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Pours a deep, hazy burnt orange color. The head is modest, with a beige tint and a creamy texture. Retention is average, with some irregular lacing.

S: Pumpkin pie! A nice pumpkin/squash aroma forms the backbone. Nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon are all present in the correct proportions. Definite hints of vanilla. A spicy, almost rumlike character as well.

T: Some toasty caramel malt. Loads of pumpkin flavor that is distinct from the pie spices. Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon - delicious. Vanilla is also prominent, combining with the other flavors to lend an authentic whipped cream and pie character. There is a bit of hop bitterness to balance out what likely would have been an overdone sweetness. At 9% abv, the alcohol does make itself known, but in an appealing spicy, dessert-esque way.

M: Rather light for the big flavors and abv. A mildly creamy texture. A bit of heat from the alcohol, but in a sneaky way.

D: This is a very unique pumpkin ale from Southern Tier. This is a dessert as much as it is a beer. Very interesting and wonderfully brewed. Perhaps not my favorite style, but on a cool, clear night like this, it's close to ideal.

4.77/5  rDev +19%

I poured two glasses out of a 22 ounce bottle and as I smelled it, I said "oh, my god" and walked away with both glasses. As I was tempted back to share with the other three people, someone else also said "oh, my god" Definitely my favorite pumpkin beer ever (I love pumpkin and beer) After my first few ounces, I've already tried to order a keg. Not perfect, but damn close.

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance - Pours a clear, bright orange. Little off-white head quickly disappears and leaves minimal lacing.
Smell - Tremendous nose. Nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin - this smells just like fall and pumpkin pie.
Taste - Sweet, bready malts, bitter hop kick in an effort to balance the beer and lots of pumpkin, pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice.
Mouthfeel - Medium-light body with moderate to light carbonation.
Drinkability - Quite drinkable, especially for a 9% beer. Still a beer that is best split due to the s.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company