1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Raspberry Porter - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Raspberry PorterRaspberry Porter

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 10-22-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 218 | Reviews: 195 | Show All Ratings:
glaze0101

One snif and It was like a bowl of capt'n crunch raspberries. Totally over the top on the berries. Dude, where is the beer? If there was anything else to notice here, I missed it. I kept sniffing to see if there was anything else going on here and the only other thing I could think of is raspberry seltzer water. You know, kinda tickly to your nose.

I sipped it, hoping that might help, FAIL. It was a flavour of some maltyness and yeastyness and rotten fruit. The aftertaste, which I really care about, by the way, was dry and so off I couldn't wait till my nachos came. I hoped that the nachos would help this beer.

Wrong again. I ate some nachos and then sipped some beer and this time it tasted like cough syrup! This is why beer and food like items should never mix. All of that said, if you are a fruity beverage person, you might just like this one.

03-04-2010 04:03:52 | More by glaze0101
Duhast500

Rhode Island

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

The color is a dark brown with some reddish highlights. Some small head and not much lacing.

The smell is, by name, raspberry right off the bat. Some malt flavor does come in to engulf that raspberry flavor with a little hint of chocolate as well.

The taste is again, raspberry with some roasty malt flavor coming in behind it. Some hints of coffee and smokey flavors mixed into the background as well.

This is the first fruit flavored porter I can remember having and it is pretty impressive. The feel of this beer is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. It goes down pretty well and pretty refreshing.

02-01-2010 01:34:07 | More by Duhast500
ArrogantJaron

2.73/5  rDev -19%

A- This pours a dark brown color with rich red highlights. It reminds me of a very dark raspberry iced tea. Not much head at all and good lacing.

S- The nose is dominated by raspberry but has a slight dark chocolate character that comes through on the second or third wiff.

T- Of course, raspberry is the first, dominant flavor in this beer. After that intial taste, the typical roasted coffee porter comes through followed by a final smokeyness to finish the mouth. I am not a big fruit beer fan or a porter enthusiest, but this beer is not a bad representation of both, tho it is somewhat thin. Once again, Southern Tier deliveries an orginal drink unlike anything I've had before. Even if you're not into this beer, you have to appreciate the creation of it!

M- Very little carbination, medium body. Thinner than what you might expect from a porter.

D- This beers very drinkable while it is cold. Again, I'm not a huge fruit beer guy, but the smokiness of the beer makes it almost endearing. I could drink 1 or 2 of these happily. Not a beer I would ever seek again but should at least tried once by everyone. Very different.

01-19-2010 02:48:11 | More by ArrogantJaron
david18

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%

I like this brewery a lot and definitely applaud their experimentation and willingness to go to extremes. This one is interesting because of the combination of strong fruit flavor, dark malt and low abv. Overall the raspberry is way too present in the beer, which negatively effects the taste and mouthfeel for me. The look and smell is great and since it's low in abv, you can have one and not feel too looped. Worth a try but not one I'd highly recommend.

12-02-2009 15:01:31 | More by david18
Cakanator

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

On tap @ Sierra. Pors pretty dark with some hints of red. Overall great aroms which is the best part of it. Otherwise this is smooth light raspberry porter. Some hints of cocoa, nothing to blow me away though. I think Souther Tier brews are better when they jack it up both price and quality wise. Black water series brews are key to their success. I haven't been a fan of their six packs. Mostly over priced and ordinary.

11-23-2009 05:02:25 | More by Cakanator
blakesell

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Poured from the tap into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a light brown with a solid two fingers of head that quickly dies to a creamy cap across the top. Head is tan with no real lacing to speak of.

Smell- Raspberry from across the bar. Strong raspberries that only get stronger as I bring the pint to my nose. Creamy darkened malts with no hops to bitter the beer out.

Taste- Holy hell. Raspberry and chocolate coat the tongue. Malt backbone is not there and therefore leaves the adjuncts to run rampant over my taste buds. Creamy like a raspberry cheesecake, just enough chocolate for the crust.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, light-bodied, decadently carbonated, a fine fruit/vegetable beer, not astringent, lovely.

Drinkability- Very nice for the swilling needs especially for a dark beer. This one is smooth like a shaved.... leg.

05-06-2008 18:37:22 | More by blakesell
ROMER79

This beer poured a dark brown with a two finger head into a pint glass. Right off the bat the raspberries hit your nose with a hurricane of flavor. I could also catch a little bit of spices and chocolate in there. The taste was good. It was a mix of chocolate, raspberries, caramel, and roasted malts. It's feel was thick and full and it is a very easy beer to drink.

04-07-2008 23:44:23 | More by ROMER79
AltBock

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%

I was able to get this southern tier beer on-tap at High Street Grill on 3/17/2008. They served it to me in a standard Sly Fox pint glass.

Raspberry Porter poured a beautiful dark crimson red with a 1 inch head of white foam. This foam had really good retention that left behind a small white film and a few streaks of white lace around the glass. The aroma was pleasent, but very short with just juicy raspberries and a splash of malted wheat. That was it for the aroma. There wasn't much to it. It had had a mild taste that contained malted wheat, ripe raspberries, and a spatter of dried bitter hops. Although there wasn't much going on in the taste, the nice taste of the ripe raspberries was good enough to push the taste above average. The mouthfeel was light, but refreshing with a light to mild aftertaste of ripe raspberries and dried bitter hops. Not the most complex fruit beer out there in the beer world, but I can't see a reason why this wouldn't make a decent fruit session beer. If you like the taste raspberries, then give this beer a shot.

03-20-2008 17:19:42 | More by AltBock
Mudpuppet

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

A- Poured into a 13oz tulip glass at Big City in Allston. Poured a dark brown or black with no head.

S- Raspberries. In our face raspberries for sure. Couldn't really smell anything else through it.

T- Very sweet raspberries at the start but it became much more chalky and like a porter as the aftertaste when on. It was served WAY too cold so I gave it some time to warm up. I expected it to get thicker and more porter-y and it never really did. I liked the dark malts and wished it came through a bit more.

M- This was the real downer for me. It never really was porter consistency or thickness. I felt like it was maybe too carbonated and thin. I wanted a bit bigger porter.

D- Certainly a drinkable beer but not my fav. Worth trying if it is around but maybe too rapsberry-y and not enough porter.

02-09-2008 04:11:39 | More by Mudpuppet
JerzDevl2000

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

Had this the other day upon my grand return to the new locacton of the Blind Tiger Ale House in New York City. They were featuring quite a few of Southern Tier's beers, so I wanted to give this a shot. I'm not much of a porter drinker, and this sounded quite appealing. I was a bit surprised to see how low this rated, since I was pretty fond of it. A shame they don't distribute in New Jersey!

This has a nice, deep ruby red hue to it, but there wasn't any lacing or head to be found. The aroma was that of raspberries, but only after my glass warmed up, and the taste nearly matched it. It wasn't heavy or overpowering, but the roasted characteristics of it could be detected more and more as I worked my way down the glass. With that considered, this was thin, tart, and pretty light for it's style, but just a step above being watered-down. It took me well over a half hour to enjoy this, and the aftertaste was very sharp the whole way through!

I don't know what the ABV% is for this, but I couldn't feel it. If I bought it in six-packs, this would be a good session beer for the mild days and nights that we've had lately. It was very light on the mouth, but never weak. Recommended for those who love fruit beers with just a bit more depth and heaviness to them...

01-11-2008 08:12:54 | More by JerzDevl2000
joedon

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

Tried this at the Sunset Grill (Boston) today.

This is not a "dessert" beer but a very flavorful fruit ale.
Taste of fruit, hops and roast malt predominate. Big aroma of raspberry and chocolate. The mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side but still good as a dark beer. Good sipping beer and very fitting for a salad or fruit as a food course.

Highly attenuated: not sweet at all. Good fruit and roasty aftertaste. I would drink this again and try to brew my own home-brewed version.

01-04-2008 00:20:00 | More by joedon
oberon

3.1/5  rDev -8%

On tap at the Pizza Plant on Main,poured from the tap kind of a nutty brown color with good clarity a thinner but tight off white head atop.A little to much raspberry in the nose not any porter roastiness and just a hint of dark chocolate mainly just sweet and I mean real sweet fruitiness.That sweetness translates on to the palate in a big way starting out with that raspberry and chocolate really hitting home with not enough of a dryness to balance it out only a hint of earth in the finish but it never comes close to standing up to the near cloying sweetness.I t was a one and done for me to much fruit and like others have noted not enough porter,I love ST but this well it could be better in alot of ways this is something my wife would enjoy though.

11-20-2007 13:31:03 | More by oberon
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Pouring a cellar temp bottle into a pint glass.
Pours a rich dark brown with some mahogany highlights on the edges of the glass. Minimal creamy beige head foams up and remains a thin surface layer.
Aroma is mild with raspberry and chocolate almost like a fruit filled candy, maybe the fruit paste kind not the gel.
First sip reveals a very light and thin body and tiny gentle rolling carbonation.
Flavor is similar to the nose, with a mild overall profile, but I get some roasted malt and dry baker's chocolate. These flavors roll to sweet raspberry notes. Finish is also a little dry.
Not a flawed brew but not overly interesting. It held up pretty well over time, but I wonder if it was a little more bold fresh?

08-11-2012 04:27:23 | More by sulldaddy
rlee1390

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

A-Black, but not dark, one finger head.

S-Mainly raspberries, some not much roasted malt.

T-Completely dominated by the raspberries, roasted malt and other porter flavors can't really be found. No bitter as well.

M-Medium bodied, smooth not much carbonation.

O-Had this, the Porter and Raspberry Wheat tonight to compare all three. I would assume this a blend of the others. However what made the Porter and Wheat good (Roasted Malts, Chocolate, coffee, hops/light refreshing and fruity) when mixed did not help each other. The robustness of the porter was overwhelmed by raspberries but the lightness of the wheat was taken over by the porter.

10-09-2011 15:11:01 | More by rlee1390
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.1/5  rDev -8%

The pour was wonderful. Rich and cool looking brown was tinted ever so slightly around the edges with a reddish hue.. Nice head of tan came up over the top to a height of around two inches before settling back down. Light around of grain, bready malts and a touch of fruit. Lightly sweet as it warmed. The flavor was not what I was thinking. not enough fruit here to really make a difference. Mostly malt grain like flavor with a slight accent of fruit in the mid palate and finish. Smooth and nice carbonation in an otherwise light to medium bodied ale. Easy to drink offering up little to no resistance.

Overall a very interesting beer that was slightly letting me down in the fruit department. Still would not mind having it again, but I would not look for it.

05-02-2011 01:01:31 | More by mikesgroove
Knapp85

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours out almost like a dark brown ale... strange, this is probably the first and only porter I've had with this light of a color. The head is a tan shade of color. The aroma is a little bit like a toasted raspberry muffin. Pretty nice smelling overall. This flavor was a little watered down it seems. Not the biggest amount of flavor in a beer of this style could have. I this beer was a bit disappointing.

04-17-2011 04:40:58 | More by Knapp85
prdstmnky

Vermont

3.13/5  rDev -7.1%

*review from notes May 2010*

Grabbed as part of a mixed sixer, poured into a pint glass. Dark, reddish-brown body with a finger of light tan head that quickly fades leaving some spotty lacing. The nose is dominated by strong raspberry scents, with some chocolate notes sneaking through as well. Unlike the strong berry aromas, it was somewhat muted in the taste, which was unexpected. I get much more chocolate and some roasted malts, than the raspberry - its there, but no where near as dominant as in the nose. I find this porter a bit thin, and lighter bodied for the style, but had a nice carbonation level to it. It is fairly sweet too, so I wouldn't wanna drink more than one in a sitting.

12-20-2010 02:07:08 | More by prdstmnky
Khazadum

3.2/5  rDev -5%

Grabbed a bottle of this while I was at Dick's Last Resort for a birthday celebration. Asked for a glass to pour it into and was subsequently labeled 'Beer Snob' for the entire night and given a vulgar hat in regards to it... pretty sweet joint!

A- Mild, dulled, caramel head that disappoints. Similar description can be used for the body that reminds me almost exactly of a sodapop. Fizzy... gross.

S- Heavy raspberry notes, faint charcoal, and nothing else.

T- Little bit of darker fruits, all raspberry all the time. Start to finish raspberry domination. Disappointing. I can't even call this a porter.

M- Watery, thin, minimal carbonation, and nothing lingering. This was worse than a raspberry pop, by this point.

D- At least it shines on drinkability. This could have been a raspberry juice box with carbonation for all I could see presented. It lacked the acidity to be that, however. It was easy to drink, not problems in terms of alcohol. Too bad it just was just blah in every category. I'd drink again in hopes this bottle was just a poorly kept one.

10-14-2010 23:29:18 | More by Khazadum
CrazyDavros

Australia

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours dark copper with ruby hints and a small creamy head.
Raspberries are very prominent on the nose, like raspberry puree. Very concentrated. Underneath is a little dark chocolate and a hint of soft sweet roasted malt. Very nice, but I would have liked more roasted malt.
Flavours seem to make up for it, with only an initial burst of raspberry before some soft nutty roasted malt kicks in. Still, I'd like more malt.
Carbonation is too high and ruins what could be a nice malty finish.

09-30-2010 11:01:58 | More by CrazyDavros
thequeen711

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured purplish, (to match the raspberries!) barely a head. Taste of water-down raspberry juice, with a hint of malt and hops. I usually enjoy most offerings from Southern Tier, but this novelty doesn't live up to the raspberry flavoured beers I've previously tasted (Blushing Monk, Reubaeus). Still drink offerings from the Souther Tier Brewers, but this needs more flavour.

06-11-2010 16:01:54 | More by thequeen711
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Had this for a long time, took my sweet time going though the sixer for no good reason.

A: Still a nice one finger head, but that fades pretty quick. The beer is nice and dark but that's about it. Little active carbonation I can see through the barely reddish body.

S: Still LOTS of raspberries. In fact, I would say these beer has improved with age. Fresh, I found it a little too roasted, but the raspberries stayed and the roast did not, so I find this grand. Regarding this as much as a fruit beer as I do a porter.

T: The raspberry is there nicely. Could be much stronger and still work, but it's hardly weak. I basically get your normal American take on a porter -some roast, no hops, plus a good raspberry flavor. But the roast might be a little much here, would prefer a sweeter porter base.

M: Light, really. Could use a bit more body, and the carb is too low for me. A fruit beer needs more carb that average.

D: I know a lot of close friends who love this beer. I find it meh.

05-06-2010 05:03:05 | More by mdwalsh
LittleCreature

Australia

2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

Appearance - 4.0
Pours a thumb of pale beige head over a clear brown body that is easily penetrated by light. Good head retention and lace.

Smell - 2.5
Sweet Belgian fruit lambics come to mind, as do redskin lollies. A little chocolaty malt gets through, but this doesn't smell anything like a normal porter.

Taste - 2.5
I am again, immediately reminded of fruit lambics, but without the sour. A very light porter grainy with a touch of cocoa and coffee, very little bitterness. This allows the sweet yet tart raspberry to shine through, though not completely overpowering the other flavours. Still, it is too thin and too sweet for my liking.

Mouthfeel - 2.5
Light to medium bodied which feels wrong for a porter. Moderately carbonated with fine bead, actually a little watery.

Drinkability - 2.0
I wouldn't drink it again.

OVERALL - 2.75
Some may enjoy the raspberry porter, but for me it is a hybrid style that does not work. I'd be interested to try a fuller bodied porter, with more roasted malt used as a base for a similar beer. As it is, I see this as a beer for people who don't really like beer, hence the low score.

04-16-2010 09:37:56 | More by LittleCreature
AgentZero

2.85/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pretty light for a porter, big reddish tint and a tan head.

S - I get it, it's a raspberry beer, is it anything else? Overkill here with sweet raspberry smell, I'd say sugary, but not quite that deep, more like artificially sweet. It smells nice, for candy. Not so good for beer, could have like something more complex.

T - This is a beer that should appeal to your non-craft beer fans, it's non-offensive, very raspberry flavored. So much raspberry, as in it's all you get, that even basic porter characteristics are hard to find. Tastes fake too, not nearly deep enough, more like some sort of raspberry syrup.

M - Not unpleaseant, but too thin for a porter.

D - Well, it's not hard to drink, it's just not good beer.

03-25-2010 20:08:14 | More by AgentZero
jrallen34

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

The beer pours a clearish light brown with a pink tint. Light tan head.

The aroma is super sweet fruit with a finish of tart raspberries.

The taste is bad, its total generic raspberry juice, way to sweet and fake tart.

The feel is really bad, almost watery.

Overall, this beer is generic garbage. Run far away.

03-25-2010 13:25:11 | More by jrallen34
billab914

2.63/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter glass. Poured dark brown in color with a thin lacing barely covering the top of the beer. It did however leave some nice lacing on the glass as I drank it.

I'm getting mostly raspberry extract from the nose, not much else. Anything else that is present is very light compared to the raspberry. The taste is pretty light on the roastedness, chocolate, and coffee flavors I expect with a porter. Instead there is a strong raspberry extract taste to it.

Mouthfeel is very light for a porter with moderate to low carbonation. Drinkability is average for the beer. If you go in expecting a good porter you will be disappointed but if you expect an average fruit beer it's drinkable.

Overall my biggest complaint is it's not very porter like at all. Not much roast or chocolate flavors and a very thin mouthfeel. It tastes like they subbed out the wheat in the raspberry wheat to just enough dark malts to change the color of the beer. I might feel differently if this wasn't listed under the porter style and was instead under the fruit beer style. Rating to style doesn't do this beer any favors for sure.

03-19-2010 00:14:32 | More by billab914