Raspberry Porter - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Raspberry PorterRaspberry Porter

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 10-22-2007)
Jerzdevil1116

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz bottle purchased at Circle Liquors in Somers Point, NJ. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Clear, deep brown body with red/purple tinge. The first porter I could see through. No head, thin white film of small bubbles.

S- Sweet, full of raspberrries. Some malt hidden in there.

T- There's definitely some raspberry taste there. Some roasted malt too. It has a slightly dry/bitter fininsh.

M- Medium bodied. Not as thick or syrupy as I was expecting.

D- I've had some offerings from Southern Tier in the past and was expecting more. I doubt I'd byt this one again.

02-12-2008 06:13:05 | More by Jerzdevil1116
Mudpuppet

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

A- Poured into a 13oz tulip glass at Big City in Allston. Poured a dark brown or black with no head.

S- Raspberries. In our face raspberries for sure. Couldn't really smell anything else through it.

T- Very sweet raspberries at the start but it became much more chalky and like a porter as the aftertaste when on. It was served WAY too cold so I gave it some time to warm up. I expected it to get thicker and more porter-y and it never really did. I liked the dark malts and wished it came through a bit more.

M- This was the real downer for me. It never really was porter consistency or thickness. I felt like it was maybe too carbonated and thin. I wanted a bit bigger porter.

D- Certainly a drinkable beer but not my fav. Worth trying if it is around but maybe too rapsberry-y and not enough porter.

02-09-2008 04:11:39 | More by Mudpuppet
jeffmonarch

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark brown with little head.

S - Really strong raspberry smell. That's all you can pick up since it is so strong.

T - Too much raspberry, slight hint of chocolate.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - I really didn't like this, there was way too much raspberry.

02-05-2008 01:30:54 | More by jeffmonarch
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz bottle.

Mohogany color with a small off white head that disappears very quickly. Not a lot of retention.

Smells strongly of Raspberries, not much else.

Strongest taste Raspberries. A slight hoppy bite and fairly strong malt taste. Doesn't taste like a porter at all.

This beer doesn't feel like a porter at all. Way too light and carbonated.

This beer only has an average drinkability because it is so sweet.

02-01-2008 02:23:10 | More by Hojaminbag
DavidSeanNJ

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Picked up a single 12 oz. bottle from Oak Tree BuyRite.

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark Brown/mahagony/discolored white head.

S- Smell was of faint sweet raspberries with a malty kick.

T- Taste was a litle too fruity for me. Roasted malts, chocolate, some bitter notes on the back end.

M- Mouthfeel had tons of carbonation- a little oily for a porter.

D- Too sweet, but its not bad. Not one of southern tier's best.

01-26-2008 17:07:25 | More by DavidSeanNJ
WesWes

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%

The beer pours a dark brown color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a bold raspberry scent that accompanies a well rounded porter aroma. It has a nice mix of pale, crystal, and chocolate malts. The taste is decent. It has a dry roasted malt flavor which is overpowered with loads of tart raspberries. THe mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an above average fruit beer, but that's it. This is the weakest offering from Southern Tier. I like the idea, but I'd scrap this one for sure.

01-26-2008 02:25:06 | More by WesWes
NCSUdo

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle from LittleBreeze

A: Pours a clear deep mahongany/brown under a small off white head.

S: Smells of a nice raspberry with a slight roasted malt scent not far behind. The raspberry character is really strong and I happen to like it. Probably a little more syrupy then crushed up fruit like, but it is done well. Not much head to retain, no lace.

T: Taste up front is much like the smell, a good, fruity raspberry, with the usual porter tones of some roasted malt and slight chocolate in the back. The transition from one taste to the other, however, is a little off. A slight sourness in between and a certain hint of smoke that doesn't go well. Not bad, but not as good as the smell suggested. Finish is ultimately a mild roasted bitterness with the slightest sweetness sticking to the front of the tongue.

M/D: Carbonation is too high on this one, the body is medium but a little thin. Drinkability is not bad on this one and even the though the taste doesn't really do it for me, unfortunately most porters don't, just a personal taste thing, I could see having this again. Even as a porter, the fruitiness lends a character that would go well with warm day.

01-23-2008 00:12:19 | More by NCSUdo
JerzDevl2000

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

Had this the other day upon my grand return to the new locacton of the Blind Tiger Ale House in New York City. They were featuring quite a few of Southern Tier's beers, so I wanted to give this a shot. I'm not much of a porter drinker, and this sounded quite appealing. I was a bit surprised to see how low this rated, since I was pretty fond of it. A shame they don't distribute in New Jersey!

This has a nice, deep ruby red hue to it, but there wasn't any lacing or head to be found. The aroma was that of raspberries, but only after my glass warmed up, and the taste nearly matched it. It wasn't heavy or overpowering, but the roasted characteristics of it could be detected more and more as I worked my way down the glass. With that considered, this was thin, tart, and pretty light for it's style, but just a step above being watered-down. It took me well over a half hour to enjoy this, and the aftertaste was very sharp the whole way through!

I don't know what the ABV% is for this, but I couldn't feel it. If I bought it in six-packs, this would be a good session beer for the mild days and nights that we've had lately. It was very light on the mouth, but never weak. Recommended for those who love fruit beers with just a bit more depth and heaviness to them...

01-11-2008 08:12:54 | More by JerzDevl2000
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

Got this in the Black Booty Bif from ClockworkOrange Thanks for the chance to try this.

Pours a dark brown with ruby/orange highlights when held up to the light. Has a dismal head that disappears to lacing on the glass. Aroma is Raspberry's right up front, but not as in your face as some raspberry brews I've had. Mix in some caramel malt and some roast. I love the way this smells. Taste is a roasty chocolaty Raspberry's. Again the raspberry is subtle compared to some. Mouthfeel is a little thin. Great smelling brew, taste is good, but I would have liked some more body. I could easily session this one.

01-10-2008 22:44:51 | More by johnnnniee
pershan

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

The beer poured a dark reddish-black color with a thin, tan head. The raspberries were quite evident in the aroma. The first taste was of raspberry, but faded into the dry, toasted malt flavor of a traditional porter. A bit astringent mouthfeel, but not really unpleasant. I'm not a big fan of fruited beer, but I must admit this was pretty good and quite drinkable.

01-10-2008 18:59:49 | More by pershan
jjayjaye

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a clear translucent mahogany color with about a half-finger lightly tinted foamy head that resists fading. The very berry raspberry smell is as aggressive as a raspberry soda. really suggesting a light beverage. Adequately carbonated, there is also a soda-like tingle to the light mouth feel. More raspberry than porter, the soda theme carries through in the taste as well. A soda fountain-like experience. I prefer it over the raspberry wheat, but not typically what I'd go for when I get a porter-jones.

01-06-2008 00:34:14 | More by jjayjaye
joedon

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

Tried this at the Sunset Grill (Boston) today.

This is not a "dessert" beer but a very flavorful fruit ale.
Taste of fruit, hops and roast malt predominate. Big aroma of raspberry and chocolate. The mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side but still good as a dark beer. Good sipping beer and very fitting for a salad or fruit as a food course.

Highly attenuated: not sweet at all. Good fruit and roasty aftertaste. I would drink this again and try to brew my own home-brewed version.

01-04-2008 00:20:00 | More by joedon
tgbljb

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a deep reddish brown color with moderate off-white creamy head.
Smell is dominated by a berry fruitiness.
Taste also has berries in the forefront, with some chocolate notes pretty much buried in the background.
Finishes a bit too sweet for my liking, being a combination of berries and chcolate.
One is OK , more would be too much.

01-03-2008 23:43:54 | More by tgbljb
bluejacket74

3.2/5  rDev -5%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown with a little bit of red. There's also a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both average. Aroma is sweet raspberries, I don't notice any other aromas at all. It tastes like sweet and sour raspberries, along with a bitter taste. It tastes artificial, I don't know if they use fresh raspberries in this beer or not. Mouthfeel/body is light, and it has a watery feel to it. Drinkability isn't bad, but overall the beer seems a bit artificial to me. There's something not quite right with this brew. It's not bad to drink, however I don't think this is one of Southern Tier's best efforts.

01-02-2008 02:43:41 | More by bluejacket74
tlinner

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%

Just plain nasty. The fruity initial taste (obviously of raspberry) is like a punch in the face, but then the porter kicks in and gives it a very smoky aftertaste. A very strange combination of flavors. Ends up tasting like liquid cigarettes, raspberry-flavored. The mouthfeel is flat, and there isn't anything redeeming about the appearance in any way. The only thing I enjoyed was the initial smell, which gave me high hopes of a unique brew. Disappointing to say the least. Worth a taste to have it in your repertoire, but not recommended.

12-31-2007 14:53:47 | More by tlinner
awall422

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Definitely a disappointing offering from Southern Tier this time. Poured into one of the new Sam Adams glasses (thanks bro and sis-in-law!) it was a medium brown, a bit of reddish hue to it, but certainly not even in the ballpark of SRM's for a Porter, I'd day it was around 18. Head was light tan, dissipated pretty quickly and left minimal lacing.

The arom is raspberry. Just like all the other reviews say, it's sweet raspberry and that's really it. I was hoping to get some complexity for darker, more roasted grains but it just didn't deliver.

Taste is initially sweet with the raspberry hitting you right off the bat. It finishes a touch bitter. Again, nothing very interesting here.

Mouthfeel was very thin, with little lingering behind.

Drinkability is ok, it's not unpleasant and it's not very strong, so it's pretty easy to quaff, but I can't imagine wanting to have more than one.

This seems to me like a well-intended experiment that went a little awry. There's no way this could be what they intended if they're calling it a Raspberry Porter. Grainbill needs to be fine tuned to get that Porter character in it.

Not worth trying.

12-30-2007 00:04:01 | More by awall422
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle courtesy of HogtownHarry. Garnite coloured brew with pretty good clarity for a porter. Head doesn’t hang around long. Smell- potent raspberry jam scent and some chocolate. Taste- raspeberry flavour isn’t as pronounced as I expected from the nose. Comes and goes somewhat quickly leaving behind a thin bodied porter. Malt isn’t overly complex and is dry in finish. Some dry chocolate notes, but that’s about it. Finish is pretty watery.

12-28-2007 02:27:21 | More by oakbluff
caminiti

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Picked up in a mixed six pack from Glenville Beverage, where the beer is usually pretty fresh, etc. so I think this just may be a lousy beer. Poured a brownish orange, very little carbonation, which is usually preferred by this alcoholic. Smell was a light rasberry, taste the same, but dull.
Overall, not a very good beer, and not up to the standards of Southern Tier.

12-23-2007 12:27:20 | More by caminiti
Risser09

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a crystal wine glass - Bottled in 2007 and served at cellar temperature

Appearance: This beer pours a transparent, deep ruby red color with nice cranberry highlights. The head is about 1 inch high and is off white in color. The foam forms deep craters of airspace and leaves sticky lace all over the glass.

Smell: Raspberry puree dominates the aroma. Fresh picked raspberries, sugar and perhaps a slight malt aroma.

Taste: I suppose this is a porter, although it doesn't seem as dark as it should be, to be classified as one. Chestnut, hazlenut and a wintry spice mix fall way behind the dominant flavor of raspberries. If it wasn't for the raspberries, this would not be a good beer in my eyes. I would consider it more of a winter ale. Addtionally, the flavor is not as endearing as the smell was.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thin body, with lively carbonation and sensible raspberry flavor. Alcohol is not very noticable.

Drinkability: This is a decent beer, but is miscategorized in my opinion. I would change te recipe to include a darker malt bill and heighten the complexity of the flavor. The aroma was great, and perhaps misleading. A decent beer worth trying but I don't know if I'll revisit with any tenacity, and I love raspberry.

12-22-2007 01:41:17 | More by Risser09
jjmunro

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%

12 oz bottle from Andover Liquors poured into a snifter glass.

A - Dark brown, colaish color with a thin, quickly disappearing head
S - Big raspberries with a hint of chocolate. Pleasant.
T - I was hoping for a little bit more of a subtle raspberry flavor. The raspberries really stand out as the only distinguished flavor component. A little chocolate comes in towards the end.
M - Carbonation is good, but the overpowering raspberries detract a little bit.
D - Could have a few of these, but eventually the fruity flavor would get a little tedioius. Good beer, but not exactly what I was looking for for a cold, snowy New England afternoon.

12-20-2007 21:20:23 | More by jjmunro
drseamus

A: I'm of the opinion that a good fruit beer needs a solid base beer first. This one isn't dark enough for my taste. It is a dark mahogany color with a quarter inch off white head.

S: Raspberry. A little tartness. Nothing from a classic porter aroma.

T: There's so much raspberry that it's all I can taste. I can't taste anything reminiscent of a porter in there anywhere.

M: The body is a bit light, but the carbonation is nice.

D: It almost tastes more like a framboise than a porter, even a raspberry porter. There is no porter in there at all. Not a bad beer, just not a porter of any kind.

12-18-2007 04:30:20 | More by drseamus
Gavage

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: pours a dark brown color with a 2" thck head that lasts a while. Lacing paints the glass during the session.

Smell: raspberries and hints of chocolate are pleasant on the nose.

Taste: raspberries are up front in the flavor profile with softer chocolate and malt sweetness bringing up the rear. Bitterness balances out some of the sweetness and a dryness arrives at the end. Raspberries need to be toned down a touch, but otherwise this was quite tasty.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, but smooth and dry at the finish. Medium bodied. Aftertaste is pretty short as the flavors leave the tastebuds quickly.

Drinkability: After having two 12 oz bottles in one session, I had enough of the fruity flavor. A single bottle in a session would suffice.

12-17-2007 13:11:20 | More by Gavage
riversider76

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours brown with a cherry hue, and a thin tan head. Not much retention,but decent lacing. Smell is roasted,with a fruity edge. Body is light to medium,with some carbionation. Taste is fruited, but still maintains some of the triditional porter qualities. Not really my thing, but you might like it.

12-16-2007 00:55:15 | More by riversider76
squidtrick

Washington

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Pours a cola color, head disappears quickly.

S: Strong smell of raspberries.

T: Tastes like it smells -- very strongly of raspberries. There's a faint hint of chocolate and the flavors blend well. Doesn't taste artificial, but doesn't taste much like a porter, either.

M: Very light.

D: Definitely drinkable, but not something I'd seek out when wanting a beer. Nailed the raspberry, missed the porter.

12-12-2007 16:11:24 | More by squidtrick
lackenhauser

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

I always have a pre-conceived notion about beers like this-rasberry porter, cherry stout, etc. Its like there is an image in my mind and on my tongue as to how they should taste. Even the homebrews I have made and trying to perfect the perfect fruit/dessert beer.

Decent enough color but not dark enough to call it porter like. Slight hint of reddish hue. Definate rasberry aroma-no malt or roasted aroma-fruit dominates. Upfront fruit flavor but a good bite of hops and dark malt. Similar to a chocolate cherry cordial. Good mouthfeel. Very drinkable and enjoyable. Just the right balance between the beer itself and the fruit. One of the better fruit beers I have had. New Glarus Belgian Red is one thing. Trying to combine the fruit with a stout or porter is a whole other thing. Southernt Tier pulls it off here.

12-08-2007 00:30:46 | More by lackenhauser