Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

New version now sold in 12 oz bottles.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
Reviews by timmay41:
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

22oz. bomber poured in an Allagash tulip glass.

A: Pours a murky copper color with huge three-finger creamy head. Just looks like there's a lot going on with this unfiltered beauty. The tupip glass cradles the large foamy head. As it finally settles down, a thick lacing clings to the sides of the glass like the age-rings of a tree.

S: Huge hop scents. Pine tar infiltrates the nostrils along with grapefruit citrus notes. Alcohol is well hidden. A swirl and some malt richness emerges.

T: Hoppy? Yes. But not overly aggressive or brutish. This beer asserts a point of view: it's about mutuality and reciprosity. The Hoppe simplicity couches the Unearthly vigor, toning it down without washing it away. They work in unison to produce a pretty balanced, floral, citrusy bitter experience.

M: Surprisingly lighter in body than expected, not sticky candy-hop sweet like other DIPAs. Medium carbonation and a super dry aftertaste.

D: Thanks to the mouthfeel qualities in particular, and the fact that the alcohol notes are so subtle, this offering encourages further exploration. By no means a session brew, but it's worth the higher price (almost $9 for the bomber at Spirit Haus in Amherst, MA) and I'm going to go pick up a few more.

timmay41, Mar 13, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

How much as does Southern Tier kick...hot damn!This new beauty poured into an imperial pint glass a clear sort of burnt orange with a little copper/bronze tint a fluffy extremely sticky craterous white head that left broken lace as it settled into a creamy-like top.Fresh vibrant hop aromas big pine and lemon pith along with grapefruit rind wich is what you come to expect for a good version of the style a hefty caramel sweetness lingers as well.This is not a full on frontal assault on the palate yet a steady unwavering wave of hop goodness,quite resiny and citrus lemon,grapefruit etc....A big sweet caramel malt presence stands up well to the hops and really comes thru big in the finish making it ALMOST balanced but doesnt quite make it.I held out for a little while on this and Choklat but you can bet I will be visiting this one alot this winter,wow.

oberon, Dec 30, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance – This is a hazy orange in color with plenty of floaties and a nice, white, lacing head.

Smell – The assortment of hops provides a nice complexity to the nose. There’s a nice pine and wintergreen here along with a floral finish and a bit of sweetish malt.

Taste – The malt base is big here which it needs to be to balance out these massive hops. This isn’t one of those “hops stupid” beers with hop overkill. They are complex as evidenced by the ingredient listing on the side of the bottle but also heroically balanced with a big malt bite. The malt flavor is lightly caramelized and loaded with sugars.

Mouthfeel – This is almost full in the body with appropriately modest carbonation and a velvety smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability – This is about as easy-drinking as a DIPA can be and is insanely smooth for a 10+ ABV brew. This really is one of my favorite breweries and again this effort does not disappoint.

RoyalT, Nov 26, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +10%

aszatk01, Nov 17, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -10%

Major backlog of reviews to get to here... this one is from 3-8-11.

Gemini pours a pretty golden-orange with a one-finger cream head into a large snifter. The head recedes quickly, but leaves nice clumps on the beer. The carbonation rushes fast and furious through the body. The lacing is also good- sticky and blobular.

The smell contains a big, sweet, malty presence of caramel and is confronted by a resiny, bitter citric hop profile. The hops really jump out when i swirl the glass. Smells of grass, leaves, and herbs also waft out of the glass. I also detect a little alcoholic heat in my nose.

A big caramel sweetness kicks off the taste, followed by a counterbalancing hop presence, which doesn't quite measure up to the malt. I derive a little bitterness from the flavor, but just enough to keep the sweet malts from overpowering my palate. the hop flavor speaks of white pine, sweet citrus, and a little resin. A small amount of bitter grapefruit sits on my tongue after the sip is through.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a sting on all of my palate from the alcohol and hops. The beer is a little chewy, especially at the end of the sip. I like the feel- I just wish the hops dried out my mouth a little more at the end.

Overall, I always feel like the Southern Tier imperial IPAs are too sweet. I'm not sure if this is a freshness issue or that's just how they're crafted. Whatever the reason, Gemini is just a tad too sweet for my taste.

TCHopCraver, Jan 31, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A dark golden beer with an off-white head made of mix of mostly compact and some soapy bubbles.

Strong citrus and pineapple smelling hops aroma with a light caramel malt aroma and light alcohol aroma.

Tropical fruit and citrus hops flavors dominate along with a strong hops bitterness. There is a medium-light malt sweetness. The alcohol flavors a subtle and lightly sweet when cold but far more pronounced and boozy when warm.

A medium bodied beer with a moderate alcohol warmth. It has a moderate creamy mouthfeel with a medium-strong level of carbonation.

A solidly bitter DIPA with a flavorful blend of hops that give is strong citrus and tropical fruit character.

MadScientist, Mar 28, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Glowing amber with a thick head and very attractive lacing. Nice looking beer.

Bursts with hop aromas both tropical and floral with a note of yeast also appearing.

Balanced isn't the right word for how dangerously drinkable this beer is. Floral/fruity hops with an unbreakable malt backbone. Notes of orange flowers and pine with no real off flavors to speak of.

Blending these two beers was a brilliant idea, which made for a better experience than they could individually provide.

brownbeer, Feb 16, 2010

JacobMutberg, Oct 09, 2012

22oz bomber. The gold "wax" on here is incredibly hard to get off. Yeah it looks nice, but I could really do without it. The beer pours into my glass a bright golden orange with a half inch of bubbly white head on top. Great clarity. Aromas start with a mix of pale and pils malts with some sweetness and a touch of caramel. Big, bold hops with resinous citric and pine. Tropical fruit with herbal green bud accents. Nice.

First sip brings a solid pale malt upfront that ushers in a sweet, caramel accented flavor. It doesn't take long for the hops to gain hold. Citric, resinous, oily hop flavors with pine and a touch of herbal floral flavor as well. Big bitterness flows in and makes the mouth pucker as it flows down. Good mix and a tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a solid creaminess. Good malt body here, goes down smooth. Really enjoyable brew and the alcohol is well hidden as well. If you still have this, drink it now, don't wait any longer!!

orbitalr0x, Jul 17, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

I think my mistake was the beer before this one was Oak Aged Unearthly and, while this was a good beer, it didn't compare well with the one before it.
In a snifter it was a hazy orange color with a small white head.
Mostly floral aroma, some citrus, and some spice.
Pine taste, a little grapefruit and coriander. All with a good malt background.
Chewy and filling. I almost didn't want dinner after drinking this.

lordofthewiens, Jun 09, 2010

This beer was very good, but as far as DIPA's go I have to say it was very standard. Maybe I drink a lot of good ipa's but I did not see any reason to write home about this guy. In comparison with most of the west coast DIPAs i have had, this falls a hair short. I have a bomber of the other southern tier DIPA which i hope will leave me more excited.

gregmoscetti, Apr 17, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

csmartin6, Mar 16, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

DWolf, Mar 05, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

It's light and straw-colored. A thick head, 2+ inches and an escape threat, settles slowly to a film. It's on the browner side of yellow, but still fully translucent. I think I'd prefer a better tan. This is my first Southern Tier production, and I'm cautiously optimistic.

The aroma is solid. I learn from the bottle that it's the amarillo hops. I like them. Maybe it's because of thoughts assoicated with the look of this beverage, but I detect straw and perhaps even hay (if there's a difference). That connotes barn, but (fortunately) I detect no other such smells. It's a simple yet solid nose.

As I try to distinguish what all's involved in the taste, I forget about the 10.5% alcohol presence. It really doesn't taste that strong. Appropriately, it tastes like a blend. I'm prolly a little backwards in reviewing this blend before I even try either of its original components, but I feel like I'd have to like the both of them. I taste the pale malt (a taste I ordinarily shun), but I guess it's the quantity and variety of the hops that put it in its proper place--the subtle background. That pale malt might be what helps make this beer taste so relatively light. As I look at the rest of what the label tells me comprises this beverage, I wonder if the wheats (particularly the white wheat) contribute to this effect. I'm sorry to say that I can't distinguish all the different hops that collectively make this beer what it is. Lots of hops, but I don't feel like it's a hop bomb...but it is a DIPA. I've seen in other reviews where people commonly comment if and when the alcohol presence is disguised. This is the first time I've felt like that is a noteworthy component of my drinking experience. I think this beer is a simple good, but I respect its double-digit ABV so well hidden that I'd blindly deem this beverage a regular IPA (at most). It actually impresses me.

The mouthfeel is light, but good. The aftertaste is a little malty--there are two different malts in this beer. I'm now wondering if I'm thinking this beer is more complex simply because the label provides its individual components. Do all DIPAs have this kind of list? All the different hops? Still, there's not a lot to it. I keep debating which side of "good" to rate the mouthfeel but, like the smell, it's a simple good.

As usual, I find drinkability more difficult to judge than it probably should be. It's an easy-drinking DIPA. In my experience, I think the alcohol content is more subtle in this one than in any other I've been fortunate enough to enjoy. That makes for easy drinking, buy you better be careful--like GZA so poignantly noted, "you gotta read the label."

marvin213, May 24, 2009

generallee, Oct 06, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +10%

funkyfritos, Aug 09, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have been highly anticipating for this and Choklat to be available so imagine my enthusiasm when I saw them on the shelf at the local store. I started out by cutting my thumb open while trying to get the damn off the cap. So In my anticipation, I had to tend to my wound and take another stab (pun intended) at getting this sucker open.

Pours a semi cloudy bright amber color with a nice sized head that retains very well, leaving copious amounts of lacing behind with each sip of this brew. I had to take the paper towel of my finger to pour this baby, dripping blood all over my desktop. Good times...Giving this first encounter with this beer all the more effect. lol
The aroma is of mucho hops. Piney, resinous hops galore. The smell reminds me of Stone's 10th Anniversary IPA. Citrusy hops and a grapefruit presence poking its way through as well. Sweet malts.
Flavor is right along the same lines. Big hop bomb as expected. Tons of pine rounded out by a solid sweet malt backbone. Citrusy, grapefruits, even a tad tropical. Alcohol is nearly non-evident @ 10.5% abv. A tremendous feat. The hoppiness attacks the palate with a death grip. Resiny, oily hops stay with you long after each sip.
The hop oils coat your mouth with every sip. Carbonation is pretty mild with a somewhat dry finish.
This is a delicious beer from Southern Tier as usual. Extremely drinkable and will catch up to you if not careful. Im going to have to do a vertical tasting with this and Unearthly soon.

Just be extra careful when removing the coat of wax or you could very well end up with a hefty gash in your finger like me. Ha! Prost!

edit: At the end of the bottle with all the sediment, the beer takes on a more heavier body and mouthfeel...naturally. I'm burping up hops, yummy.

Doomcifer, Dec 29, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

22 Oz. bomber, comes with a brittle "wax" covering of the cap, but w/o freshness info. Pours slightly hazy, slightly golden moderate amber. Nice light tan head, showing retentive powers and leaving plenty of fine lacing. Nose is floral and of citrus. Very easy drinking for a 10% DIPA, hops are a bit tame here, balance is the deal and I'm not sure if that makes me happy. Delicious and obviously well crafted. A wonderful creation in brewing. Just don't expect an overwhelming hop experience. Southern Tier is putting out fine beer after fine beer. Go N.Y. State!

Billolick, Jan 27, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

mctizzz, Mar 14, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: cloudy, orange-gold in color, moderate carbonation, 1/2 inch head

Smell: bread, pine, and citrusy hops

Taste: citrus hops dominate, with some piney hops and a malty bready taste in the back.

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium-low carbonation, slightly bitter

Drinkability: This is a super smooth beer where the hops are present but not as overpowering as I would expect them to be. I can feel both the Hoppe and Unearthly come together. A sipper and a must for hop heads.

tigg924, Nov 24, 2009

KolbMarley, Mar 26, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to jwc215 for sending this bottle to me.

The beer pours a hazy brownish-orange color with a white head. The aroma is very hoppy with oranges, mangos, apricots and pineapples. The flavor is very fruity and features all of the fruits that were in the aroma plus some grapefruit. There is a medium amount of bitterness. Medium-high carbonation and medium mouthfeel. A great DIPA.

Mora2000, Mar 17, 2010

olradetbalder, Nov 21, 2014

Skye1024, Dec 27, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Tall 750mL bottle from a Waterloo LCBO. I'm on a bit of an IPA kick lately, so this release seemed to fit with the trend. I've been happy thus far with Southern Tier's imperial series that's made it up to Ontario, although their flavors and alcohol content usually make them better beers to share.

Poured into a nonic. A pale amber hue, which leaves behind about an inch of fluffy head. A good deal of lacing is left behind, and the head survives quite nicely. Looks on the spot.

Nose is resin and citrus hops, tropical fruits (pineapple, mango, lychee) and bready malts. Smells divine.

Takes a few sips for me to really see where southern tier was going with this, but when I did I enjoyed it. A boozy, fruity hopbomb to be sure, but I think the pale ale created a nice malty backing. Indeed, this is quite malty and surprisingly sweet. Finishes with a nice little citrus hop kick.

Big flavor and alcohol make this a slow sipper to be sure. Creamy, thin bodied.

Pretty interesting brew here. I think the hops got a bit overrun here, as the malts and tropical fruit flavors gave the brew a nearly cloying level of sweetness. Still, enjoyable nevertheless and worth a try. At 10 bucks a bottle though, I doubt more than one bottle of this will make its way into my fridge this year.

JohnnyBarman, Mar 23, 2011