1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)

pDev: 11%

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 943 | Reviews: 582 | Show All Ratings:
HopHedz

- Wow this beer is a punch to the face with hops, great citrus and floral hop nose. Complete avalanche of hops with a perfect malt background.
- Gives a great hop after flavor as well.
- Blending these two beers together was an ingenious idea and every beer that this company makes is worthless compared to this because they combined their two best beers into one beer that destroys the rest... The price is higher than most of their beers, but the price is well worth the quality. Save yourself the journey; skip right to the end! This is Southern Tier's "Best Beer".

04-04-2009 00:53:00 | More by HopHedz
blackbearywheat

Pours a slightly fogged orange gold. Very little head, but some lacing sticks on the way down. Nose seems almost like it is being restrained. I am sure that is the blend in action. Very noticeable citric tones with a floral edge. Flavor is extremely smooth. I mean, damn. Come on now. Extremely smooth. Masterfully concocted. Feel is smooth on liquid and even though the carbonation seems a touch low, it is still smooth on the tongue.By far my #1 beer of all. Wish they brewed all year round!

10-15-2009 03:07:18 | More by blackbearywheat
pwoods

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

22oz. brown bomber, dipped in golden plastic(?). Purchased at Belmont Party Supply. Didn't notice a date but this is fresh.

A: Pours a nice golden copper with good visibility. A big, strong, tight eggshell head forms and have nice retention. Very nice lacing throughout.

S: Very juicy citrus resins. Earthy floral scents with a tad bit of piny bite. All about the hops here and I absolutely love it.

T/M: Again, very juicy citrus resin hops with a natural fruit sweetness. The dab of pine zing is there, too. Bitterness is strong enough but not cloying. A nice sweet malt comes in to delicately balance the hops out. Body is a bit light for what I'd normally like but it fits the brew just right. I had to check the ABV... 10.5%?!?! Are you kidding me? The alcohol is hidden extremely well.. a faint splash of phenols in the hops/pine bite and some mellow alcohol in the bitter dry, lasting finish.

D: This shit could get dangerous. I will have no problem finishing this bomber and will without a doubt get more.

01-10-2008 03:34:23 | More by pwoods
ccrida

Oregon

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

Bomber poured into an imperial pint (this is an imperial IPA, no?), Gemini is a lightly hazed pale copper with a fairly large, bone colored head that leaves rocky hunks of foam.

Smell is very hoppy, an amalgamation of flowers, citrus and pine that really comes together nicely. Wow.

Taste is even more Wow. I have to admit when I first heard about this beer, I had very high expectations, as I love Unearthly. But then I just had hoppe for the first time before this, and wasn't overly impressed, but after the first couple sips of the Gemini, I quickly realized how great this is. This is definitely the best DIPA/IPA, I've ever had - I just can't believe how much I love this! The smooth, soft sweetness of the hop flavor is so perfectly delivered, pineapple and bubblegum, with a fresh snappy pine backbone, with very little indication of the ABV, lingering bitterness or other astringent flavors sometimes found in these bigger IPAs.

Mouthfeel is creamy, chewy and dry, yet fairly easy on the belly - enough precieved 'freshness' in the hops that the malt not too sweet or heavy.

Drinkability is super high do the remarkable taste and smoothness, expect for that sinking feeling of drinking your last precious drops of the nectar of the gods, knowing you probably won't be getting any more anytime soon...huge thanks to yetter!

03-01-2008 07:06:27 | More by ccrida
steelcutoats

Gemini review

This review is gonna be a difficult one. I just watched the Stillers earn their 7th trip to the Super Bowl; I stopped of for a 120 IPA on the way home and had a few brews before dinner. Needless to say that my mind is wandering at this point. I heard a lot of really good things about this beer. I popped the top and poured about 8 or 9 ounces into my crystal snifter, and prepared for the best that Southern Tier had to offer. Now in the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that I have had both "Hoppe" and "Unearthly" which this is a 50/50 unfiltered blend of, and needless to say I loved both of those beers. The Gemini poured with a nice head, fluffy and white, that all but for a foamy ring around the inside of the glass, disappeared. The aroma was sweet and hoppy. There were a lot of nice citrus notes, which were equally balanced by a sweet citrus taste. The hops were pronounced but not over powering, equalized well with a smooth malty background. Of all of the Southern Tier beers I've had, this is probably the most enjoyable. I would definitely recommend it, and will definitely be stocking up on it.

01-19-2009 06:00:26 | More by steelcutoats
tvazteca

4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

For starters, the label, whether inspired by Alan Bean or not, the label is excellent. Label art doesn't matter, I know, but it certainly doesn't hurt.
It pours a lovely head and leaves a nice sticky residue on the sides. The smell of hops is overriding in the smell, but the slight malts are there as well.
The taste is a perfect balance of beautiful malts and hops. The hops have a nice bitterness to them, but not overcooked to destroy the flavor. The malts back the beer but the hops are what speak get me. It's a very nice malt and hop mix. And it drinks so easily.
I love this beer. It drinks so smoothly despite the 9%. I can't even taste the 9, just a perfect taste of hops that gets carried down with sweet smooth malts. So good. I'd drink this every day.

02-19-2012 04:37:37 | More by tvazteca
whitehouse50

4.88/5  rDev +19.3%

Got this one from Ramsey liquor store, 22oz bomber. Pours a amber yellow color with a thick white head. I can smell this one as soon as I poured it. Aromas of big citrousy hops, hints of grapefruits.

The taste is suprisingly pretty sweet compared to the big hop flavor this has. It was almost like drinking DFH 120's far distant cousin. The beer hits you over the head with hops and its not that bitter.

It is full bodied and a big beer. I was splitting this one so half a bottle was perfect for me. I will certainly be having this one again. Outstanding.

04-06-2009 21:59:15 | More by whitehouse50
ZAP

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

The fucking wax on this bottle was incredible...do they not want you to be able to open it? Countries guard weapons grade plutonium with less security than the wax used to keep me away from this beer.

Eventually I got to the holy grail and I can see why it is so protected. This is one of the best beers I have ever tried.

Excellent DIPA with the full range of tropical and sweet
fruit flavors and aromas....papaya...mango....pineapple...peaches...mandarin oranges...a lot of peach flavor...malt backing is almost a caramel breadiness...wow this is good...flavors blend perfectly...

A big beer but drinks like a regular IPA...not particularly bitter but this is a hugely flavorful beer that really hits the mark.

I've been drinking a lo of hopslam and this is comparable if not better...I'd love to do a blind taster of them...whatever the case this is one of the best beers I have tried...scores will not reflect that as the nose is not a 5.0 and the lighter body brings the mouthfeel down but i can tell you this...this is a beer I would buy anytime I see it...

04-25-2008 04:56:16 | More by ZAP
JoeyBeerBelly

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

22oz bottle, served in a pint glass.

A - clear*, copper color with a huge white head of fluff that hung on the entire session, leaving a blanket of lacing down my empty glass.

S - Citrus, wet hop aroma. Smells like something from the west coast. Wonderfull smell.

T - Delicious Brew. Bitter hops bite all the way through and with all that bitterness, who can taste any alcohol?... not me... Delicious!

M - medium bodied, creamy in the mouth, mild carbonation.

D - I really enjoyed this brew and with each sip, I wanted more... the abv is up there, but this beer goes down way too easy to worry about it. Enjoy!

* footnote: I knew this was an unfiltered beer and I was very careful on my pour to keep all of the 'unfiltered stuff' in the bottle. My 2nd pour was slightly hazy.

12-28-2007 01:33:31 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
EStreet20

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

22 ounce bomber. Chose my Levitation Ale glass as it's nearly a dead ringer for the "fluted glass" Southern Tier recommends and has illustrated on the bottle.

A - Pours out a very nice looking cloudy golden colo. About two fingers of white head forms, laces well and has staying power throughout the whole drink.

S - Tons of citrus hop on the nose. Grapefruits with a sweeter orangey hint as well.

T - Taste begins with an excellent blend of hoppy flavors, citrus and some bitterness. Rush of sweet fruity malt comes through. Alcohol is well hidden, barely showing after the fruity malts. Beer finishes nice and dry.

M - Nice medium body, medium carbonation, smoooth feeling brew.

D - Delicious and DANGEROUSLY easy to drink. Alcohol is well hidden. Tons of great flavor, and still a fairly light feel.

02-12-2008 03:24:35 | More by EStreet20
ski271

On tap at Zeno's, State College, PA
A: Hazy, peach-ish amber with a medium-sized, fluffy, off-white, slowly diminishing head. Excellent lacing.
S: Very pungent hops. Citrus and pine with a decent malt backbone. Lightly buttery
T: Very easy drinking and... oh my this is good! Complex and big, but in a very lovely balanced way. LOTS of a juicy citrus flavor that I love.
M: Medium body, dry texture, soft carbonation.
D: I thought maybe I was just getting too jaded as of late and no beers really wowed me in a long time. This one gave a warm & fuzzy feeling and put a big smile on my face. This one is definitely worth seeking out.

02-22-2008 18:45:50 | More by ski271
DrinkinBuddy

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Gotta thank southerntier for this brew. Private stash was raided so I could have a little gander into the world of what is GEMINI!!! Pours a nice cloudy amber color with a delicious frothy head. Smell is superb Very Hoppy and sweet. Taste is amazing. I'm a big unearthly fan, and big hoppe fan, but this trumps them both. The combination of the two gave this the great pineapple taste from the hoppe and that great floral (piney) flavor unearthly brought. Truly a great DIPA. (Try unfiltering unearthly too. For me unfiltered is the way to go) Mouthfeel was slightly malty due to the unearthly, and crispy and refreshing like the hoppe. Drinkability is good as well, 10.5 abv, come on, that's nothing!! lol

03-07-2008 03:01:21 | More by DrinkinBuddy
trbergman

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

22oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A - Gorgeous copper body with one finger of luxurious orange-tinted white head. Plenty of sticky lacing.

S - Sweet caramel and toffee malts, oily, resiny hop aromas of grapefruit and pine.

T - Big and sticky. Sweet caramel malt with a soft twang from Hoppe's wheat. Plenty of resiny pine and citrus rind flavor from the hops, as well as some pineapple and mint. Plenty of hop bitterness, too, but still very much in balance with the malt. Definitely a great example of the East Coast DIPA style. Long, balanced finish.

M - Coating, viscous, soft and creamy.

D - One hell of a beer. It would be great if this were available year-round - I guess I'll just have to buy Hoppe and Unearthly and blend them myself.

01-19-2009 02:17:23 | More by trbergman
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

My favorite Southern Tier beer to date, and there have been many good beers from then. I really wish all of theeir beers were more obtainable for me. Poured golden with a nice head, but nothing special to look at, although nice. The aroma is heady with deep citrus smells, mano and spice- like beeer perfume. The taste just explodes with citrus and mano flavors from the hops that seagues into a deep creaminess and then a nice spicy bitter hop finish, all unobtrusively supported by firm, slightly sweet malt. A beautiful double IPA that I would drink all the time if it were local.

06-03-2008 15:33:07 | More by Georgiabeer
optiontwo

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

22 oz poured into generic pint glass

Appearance: Light orange/yellow with half inch head (great retention) and nice lacing.

Smell: Hop-fest. It smells like hops, and I don't mean a really hoppy beer, I mean straight up hops fresh from the homebrewing store. You can tell that some of the hops they used are highly acidic just from the aroma. There was a thread recently about which beer smelled/tasted the most like weed, well this one smells like some amazing weed nugs. It's hard to pick up anything else in the smell, I don't know, there might be a malt backbone in there somewhere. Time to taste.

Taste: Mmmm. I can't get over how deliciously hoppy this beer is. But here's the real surprise, it's not that bitter! Not in relation to some other hop-bombs anyway. No, this beer relies on the pure aroma and flavor of hops. Not to say there isn't any bitterness to it, but it's not exactly what you would expect from a DIPA. It's actually way sweeter than you would expect, which is nice. Fruit flavors galore in the initial taste, grapefruit, orange, lemon, mango, followed by that nice sweetness that almost wants to border malty but the hops say, "F that, I'm not surrendering that easy!" If I were to try to give the malt factor any credit I'd say there's an incredibly subtle caramel malt background.

Mouthfeel: Divine. Each sip makes me want more. It's syrupy but that's perfect because it coats your tongue with the delicious hop flavor and then the hop bite hits the back of your throat.

Drinkability: Surprisingly high. Besides the fact that this is so delicious that I would drink it everyday of my life, I can't tell in the least that it is 10.5% ABV.

Overall: If you couldn't tell by now (or you only read the overall portion of reviews) this is one amazing brew. I love Unearthly and I really love Hoppe and as much as this beer sounded great I never would have imagined that this would be their lovechild. Not too long ago I had 16 Grit DIPA from Surly and decided it was the best DIPA ever. Gemini doesn't quite outdo 16 Grit but comes about as damn close as possible. If you can get this beer, get it. If you're a hop head, get it. If you have no clue about good beer, still, get it. If they don't distribute this in your area, trade for it. You will not regret it. So, Southern Tier, what do you think about making this a year round?

01-18-2009 08:43:58 | More by optiontwo
sawbones420

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

Another IMPERIAL release from Southern Tier. This has gold wax around the cap, so I assumed they thought it was special (and worth aging). It's a blend of their Unearthly and Hoppe ales, both of which are easily in my top five favorite American IPAs. How good can they taste mixed?

The cap was damn near impossible to get off because the wax was so thick. Eventually chipped out a big enough chunk to get a corkscrew bottle opener to do the job. The wax is a nice touch, but perhaps they could dip more lightly...

Pours a gorgeous hazy gold with a tint of amber. Small white head that dissipates not long after. Smells absolutely fantastic. Very clear, crisp, hop aroma.

Holy goddamn. Delicious! All the best characteristics of the contributing brews are present. Clear, sharp hop taste, with well-rounded grapefruity, almost piney quality. A nice dry finish on the back of the tongue that leaves your mouth watering for more. Super drinkable for a DIPA.

If you are a fan of the style, this might very well be your new favorite beer. I don't usually hand out fives, but this one earned it for taste and drinkability. Get your hands on this sexy brew

12-23-2007 04:17:37 | More by sawbones420
Gehrig

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

My fourth and final sampling from Pizza Plant was a great finish. Gemini is a fantastic DIPA, strong and complex. Its body is a light-medium golden, topped with two fingers of white froth. The smell is very good and the taste is better, laying out lots of hops but plenty of fruit, especially orange and lemon. The taste is outstanding, nothing short. Even with the high ABV, this is easy to drink, a real credit to the good folks at Southern Tier. Gemini is certainly the best beer I've had from Southern Tier, though I've not had a bad one from them. A can't miss.

01-04-2008 16:02:10 | More by Gehrig
corey0212

Connecticut

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

Had this last year, but wasn't reviewing beers....

Pours a clear golden-orange color, big foamy white head fades slowly, and leaves epic sheets of lacing on the glass....seriously, there's only a few clear spots on the glass right now. Smell is an all-out hop war!! Pine, grapefruit, tangerine, and nary a trace of malt...it's there, but it's in the back seat. Taste is exactly what you'd expect based on the nose, huge piney hop presence, and equally massive grapefruit/citrus notes....this is a hop lover's dream. The mouthfeel seems the slightest bit thin for the style, and makes this feel/drink more like an IPA, which in turn does wonders for the drinkability. My glass is emptying much faster than I'd like, and I'll be stocking up on this one!

12-30-2008 02:13:00 | More by corey0212
SpecialK088

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A-Nice deep amber very nice color almost a red hue on it with direct light, nice fluffy head and laces all the way down the glass

S-Strong grassy hops, good pine note as well as some strong bitter citrus. If you take a big smell on it you can ditect a small amount of sweeter citrus as well

T-Oh Man this stuff is good and extremly unique it has all the qualtities of a traditional double IPA with the strong hop presence and great bitter grapefruity finish but the amazing part is right in the middle where a sweetness comes out.

M-Good medium body and very complex

D-I wish I could have a bottle of this on hand for whenever the mood hits me. Extremely good beer

01-24-2009 19:17:42 | More by SpecialK088
JordanChabot

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

It's been a while since I have attempted to process an actual beer experience into anything but an abstract thought that exists only to disappear with the bottom of a bottle. But, still, I am going to attempt a larger more in depth description to what this fine brew has to offer. Southern Tier has kicked off my year with this amazing blending of two beers! Alright, all freestyling aside, here is what you can expect from Gemini.

I have once heard the astrological description of a "Gemini" to be "bright, quick, and the life of the party". Just so happens Ms. Cleo might have actually been right on this one. The beer pours a nice amber color with a bright white head that settles slowly and nicely. The lacing is so prominent that one might not realize the head has subsided when admiring the beer from afar (which I do not recommend...get one in front of you!)
The aroma is rich with a bouquet of hops, (6 different hops to be exact) lemon spice, and citrus peel. The alcohol seems to be totally masked by this resinous beast. This comes with a surprise seeing how even the heaviest hopped ales with an abv% this high tend to act only as an air freshener, barely hiding the unpleasant alcohol sting. But, we haven't tasted this yet have we..?
First touch to the tongue brings a nice sweetness and incredibly balanced blend of hop varieties. This isn't a mere clumsy I.P.A. stuffed with every hop within reach, but a nice experience of aroma hops, bittering hops, and backing hops that play very nicely off one another. Grapefruit and pine dominate the palate followed by a sticky resinous finish that dissipates right before it overstays its welcome. The carbonation is nice and light so that the bitterness of the hops doesn't combine to rip your mouth apart. Again, balance is the key with this Imperial ale. For all the work these artistically combined hops can't do for each other, white wheat and cara-pils malt step in and play a very important balancing role behind the scenes, while keeping the body light and refreshing.
I would pair this fine ale with some spicy barbecue, sharp and/or smelly cheeses, and/or some grilled meat or salmon. It is recommended, as with many Imperial Ales, to be served in a tulip glass at cellar temperature (around 42-45 F), but a wine glass would probably do.
So, Southern Tier does it yet again. It's getting unfair. But, the better beer gets, the better it is going to get. Let's hope the competition gets a hold of one of these and gets inspired. Because, you know, when that happens... We all win!
Happy new Beer!

01-28-2009 02:10:32 | More by JordanChabot
beachfirebrews

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

I have been wanting to try this beer for awhile and found it on tap this weekend. Southern Tier's Unearthly is one of my favorite IIPAs, but I wasn't sure what the addition of Hoppe would do to Unearthly's wonderfulness. I was blown away. Hoppe is a good beer, but somehow it exemplifies the excellent qualities of Unearthly. One of the top Imperials I've ever had. Yet again, another great beer out of Southern Tier!

02-28-2012 03:54:28 | More by beachfirebrews
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep orange/amber color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very nice blend of floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts with a strong burst of hops bitterness which is then quickly balanced by sweet flavors of citrus & caramel. The malt character is hearty but not overly heavy. The 10.50% ABV is well-masked. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and very clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easily, not too filling, very strong kick, excellent representation of style, Unearthly is one of the best 5 beers I've ever had and Hoppe was pretty good, so it stands to reason that I would really enjoy this beer and I did. This is an excellent high-gravity hop bomb to drink for a long time until the ABV catches up with you.

10-11-2008 23:00:34 | More by TheManiacalOne
challenja

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured On Tap at Fireworks in Courthouse, VA.

A: Light amber orange, very shiny copper tone with sticky thin lacing that coats the glass.
S: Sugary grape fields and Mediterranean Dates. Lilies and sweet orange peel. Sugary malt bread.
T: This a unique blend for a strong ale that is both sweet, fruity, and inviting with a nice ruby red grapefruit advice and nice centennial hops that linger well on the palate. Nice warm pizza dough with slight molasses sap.
M: Nice medium carbonation that adds a nice thickness and bready nature to the malt. NIce froth splashed between the teeth with a really nice mellowing summertime low 50 IBU finish.
O: A really good middle ground beer to share with your friends while watching a Sci-Fi flick or sword swinging kick ass period piece like Game of Thrones or The Borgias. Another winner for S.T

04-22-2012 19:18:16 | More by challenja
TurdFurgison

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber (50% Hoppe and 50% Unearthly) purchased for $8.99 at Whole Foods in Columbus. The bottle had gold wax on the cap, a marketing gimick which hooks me almost every time.

The beer is golden colored with a thick frothy foam of a head, just a little haze but mostly clear. The smell was exceptional, hops of every type, from sweet/sour citrus and grapefruit to burning pine needles. A significant malt base was evident as well. The taste was near-perfect in my opinion. This was one of the best beers I've had in recent memory. The different hops varieties complemented each other well, and although this beer was first order hopped, there were second-order malts which gave a little balance to the equation. Outstanding beer, go for it if you see it.

04-05-2008 20:03:23 | More by TurdFurgison
Brad007

Vermont

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a beautiful copper-amber color with a one-finger head into my goblet.

Aroma is grassy, floral hops with a nice hint of mint and grapefruit in the nose. This is all about the hops.

Taste is full of floral, grassy hops upfront. Mint and grapefruit stand out and a bit of biscuit malt peeks out from underneath. A bit sweet as well.

Mouthfeel is that of grapefruit juice and lingering grass. Drinkable but the alcohol is well-hidden. Carbonation is ok.

Wow, this is pretty impressive for what it is. Hops are all over the place and a blend of two different Imperial IPAs is simply brilliant. This is only for those who truly love their hops. Hop haters beware!

03-21-2009 03:16:34 | More by Brad007