Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

New version now sold in 12 oz bottles.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,023 | Reviews: 590
4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a perfect golden orange color with a large, bubbly, white head that settled rather quickly and left some good lacing. Big, piney, resiny hop aroma, some grapefruit and just a touch of sweetness. Flavor is fantastic! Juicy, citrus-laden, pinetree sappy, orange peel-like, sweet delicious hops roll over the tongue and leave it screaming for more. I was surprised at the honey-like malt sweetness in this beer, which makes it remarkably well balanced and provides a solid backbone for the hops to work their magic. But make no mistake, this is a hop bomb in every sense of the word. The bitterness is not as harsh as expected. It's surprising smooth and has a low enough carbonation level to not bring any sort of bite. It's dangerously drinkable, but the the high ABV catches up with you eventually. I believe this is a relatively fresh bottle as it has retained every ounce of it hoppiness. This is one fine brew, and I dare say that might even be better than Unearthly on it's own.

Edit: I poured the second half of the bottle into the glass after it had warmed up a bit on the counter. Not only do the hops shine even more, but the sediment mixed into the glass brings a whole other level of complexity. This is tasty stuff!

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

1pt. 6fl. oz bottle served in a tulip. Poured a translucent orange-gold with a half inch loose, off-white head that quickly dissipated leaving a band around the perimeter and a cluster of sudsy bubbles in the center. Incredibly sweet and malty nose with notes of grapefruit forming the backdrop. Taste consistent with nose, but less sweet than anticipated with a well-balanced hops bittering and a mild astringency towards the finish. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied and lightly effervescent, with a slightly oily consistency on the tongue. A great DIPA, but nothing beats Unearthly. Another excellent big beer offering from ST.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

This beer pours a cloudy reddish-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing. The aroma is of grapefruit, oranges, pine resin, and floral hints. The taste is big and bold. There is a lot of pine up front, with a nice lingering grapefruity finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a velvety texture and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a mighty fine DIPA that is better than the sum of its two parts. I will certainly drink this again.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: This beer looks like an early evening of a hot summer day. The color is a very mellow golden with a hint of red (likely from the red wheat) like the start of a midwestern sunset before it erupts into a blazing inferno. The carbonation like the wind is almost nonexistent. The ½ inch which head is fluffy and clingy like the humidity of the summer and it slides down the sides after each sip leaving a trail of head behind. A small amount haze is detected as if you are looking into the distant haze of the summer horizon. 4.5 (Could be a touch deeper and richer in appearance.)

S: Bliss. A pine and floral fragrance explosion. Deep and robust. The citrus aroma is there but underneath. The aroma never gets old. It is smooth and well blended. 4.5

T: I am less impressed by the taste than the aroma. The necessary DIPA twins of hop flavor and bitterness are not as bold fragrant or complex. Again the pine, floral and mint flavors are more accentuated than the citrus hop flavors, which is surprising given the blend of hops presented. 3.5

M: Amazingly still with above average head retention and viscosity. The wheat malts make for a lighter weight than most other DIPAs while retaining that sticky viscosity. 4.0

D: Exceptionally well balanced and blended. Would be found very drinkable by non IPA enthusiasts. However, if you are looking for insane and brutal bitterness this is not your beer. If you want an exceptionally aromatic and smooth drinking experience this is an excellent choice. 4.0

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A-Nice deep amber very nice color almost a red hue on it with direct light, nice fluffy head and laces all the way down the glass

S-Strong grassy hops, good pine note as well as some strong bitter citrus. If you take a big smell on it you can ditect a small amount of sweeter citrus as well

T-Oh Man this stuff is good and extremly unique it has all the qualtities of a traditional double IPA with the strong hop presence and great bitter grapefruity finish but the amazing part is right in the middle where a sweetness comes out.

M-Good medium body and very complex

D-I wish I could have a bottle of this on hand for whenever the mood hits me. Extremely good beer

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Beautiful honey color, clear with a nice big creamy head

Freash honey hops nose...more sweet than dry

Fresh hops with some tropical mango flavor and honey (yes, again) overtones. Quite yummy. Very well balanced...not too sweet and not too dry. Top notch stuff.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Big thanks to treyrab for busting this one out a tasting. We both saw this one on our trip to Oaktree last November. I passed it up not thinking it would age well, granted it had been brewed 6 months ago at this time.

Getting the cap off this one required some serious work. Bottle caps beware! Eventually I was able to remove it with a chainsaw and a small kitchen knife.

Poured into a 10 oz tasting snifter. Oh my, this one glows quite nicely in the light. A hazy golden orange with no head, this looks very much like a barleywine. I am really interested in seeing how this one is aged, and would love to try this brand spanking fresh new.

The smell is full of caramel and aged citrus hops. Very full and creamy. White grapes are present and provide a bubbly sweet scent.

The taste is very good. Still has some spicy citrus to it, alluding to some nice smoother lemon. Great dose of caramel that is always very pleasing. Very refreshing for an aged IIPA. Very smooth and very nice flavors without overwhelming complexity.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Lable newly redisigned with a glossier silver and green thing, still with the astronaut.

Poured from a 22oz bomber into an oversized tulip.
2 fingers of bubbly white head. A chill hazed copper orange in color. Nice thin straks of lace lft behind with a thin cap of retention.

Aroma is super sweet and citrussy with pine and grapefruity hops and loads of doughy bready aroma. Caramel rolls and a spice kick with a cinnemon accent.

Starting out and finishing sweet. Carbonation is present with a mellow smooth creamyness. Somthing in there reminds me od a cactus jelly, I've had it a few times before and its very much a citrussy cactus jelly spread.
Lots of spicie piney hops and well balanced sweetness.
Through the swallow becoming more and more bitter with a tangy hop linger.
No alcahol warming in the aroma, but just a bit of warming in the pallete.

This is quite good, the spice kick was unexpected but welcome.
Nice yeasty bready notes and great amounts of hops in aroma and taste.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

poured a semi-dark orange/copper color with a decent head, good lacing throughout. Has a nice piney, citrus hop aroma. Taste is a bold hop flavor with grapefruit. Has a slight bitter aftertaste, very crisp on the palate. Can't really taste the high abv, this beer could be dangerous.

4.92/5  rDev +20.3%

Gemini review

This review is gonna be a difficult one. I just watched the Stillers earn their 7th trip to the Super Bowl; I stopped of for a 120 IPA on the way home and had a few brews before dinner. Needless to say that my mind is wandering at this point. I heard a lot of really good things about this beer. I popped the top and poured about 8 or 9 ounces into my crystal snifter, and prepared for the best that Southern Tier had to offer. Now in the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that I have had both "Hoppe" and "Unearthly" which this is a 50/50 unfiltered blend of, and needless to say I loved both of those beers. The Gemini poured with a nice head, fluffy and white, that all but for a foamy ring around the inside of the glass, disappeared. The aroma was sweet and hoppy. There were a lot of nice citrus notes, which were equally balanced by a sweet citrus taste. The hops were pronounced but not over powering, equalized well with a smooth malty background. Of all of the Southern Tier beers I've had, this is probably the most enjoyable. I would definitely recommend it, and will definitely be stocking up on it.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Bomber into a Corsendonk tulip.

Appearance: Mildly hazy orange / yellow / copper color with a decent head and density to it, and a lot sticking to the glass and retaining by the end. A lot of carbonation, even with subsequent pours, also finding its way toward the top.

Smell: Slick and wet piney hops at the outset, along with some diacetyl and biscuit/bready aromas. Very good, but it never reaches the transcendence that it shows the initial potential for.

Taste: Certainly not for the beginning drinker, but one thing is this has is balance, with the malt backbone -- though not as evident as it maybe should be as far as tasting goes -- doing its thing to let the hops dominate while also being balanced and flavorful and wild and achieving that buttery balance between the Hoppe, and the crazy hoppiness of the Unearthly. Somehow it's done really well. I'm not getting as much complexity and depth as I thought I would as far as picking out multiple things, but the quality and balance (as if I haven't said that enough) is beyond evident and admirable.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied, as expected, with a sleek carbonation, never feeling bubbly, but never feeling like it's not enough, and just gaining enough fullness to be balanced and let the flavors do their thing.

Drinkability: Despite the high ABV, I find this insanely and watch-yourself-for-real drinkable. Balanced alcohol and tons of flavor can sometimes equal hard to deal with, in a good way, and this is one of them. Big beer or not, this thing's hard to deny. I'm still for the Unearthly, I think, over the combo with Hoppe, but I really dig this brew and find it hard to out down.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Appears a hazy amber with a small, off white head of fluff that never fades away. Scattered speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of complex hops. Huge citrus, pine, grapefruit, toasted biscuit, caramel.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas. Balanced biscuit, caramel, fruity yeast, and citrusy grapefruit with pine.
Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, chewy, extremely well balalnced, with a smooth finish. Great carbonation.
Wow...I opened this one thinking that I had it before. I was thinking of Unearthly IPA, which I thought was just ok. This one was a really nice beer that I couldn't get enough of.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a growler of this from the Whole Foods Bowery, and I'm enjoying my second glass. Pours a golden copper slightly hazy. Solid light head with strong hoppy aromas.
Tastes as good as it smells. A good kick but not overwhelming, the hops don't detract from the complex flavor this beer packs.
Perhaps too exciting for some not used to stronger, hoppier ales but a great IPA to try.

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

22oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A - Gorgeous copper body with one finger of luxurious orange-tinted white head. Plenty of sticky lacing.

S - Sweet caramel and toffee malts, oily, resiny hop aromas of grapefruit and pine.

T - Big and sticky. Sweet caramel malt with a soft twang from Hoppe's wheat. Plenty of resiny pine and citrus rind flavor from the hops, as well as some pineapple and mint. Plenty of hop bitterness, too, but still very much in balance with the malt. Definitely a great example of the East Coast DIPA style. Long, balanced finish.

M - Coating, viscous, soft and creamy.

D - One hell of a beer. It would be great if this were available year-round - I guess I'll just have to buy Hoppe and Unearthly and blend them myself.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

22oz bottle

Pours a brilliant rusty orange color with a small soapy head, good clarity and little rising carbonation. Big fruity nose, grapefruit, orange skin, fresh grassy cannabis, oily, sticky resinous pine and small whiffs of alcohol. Sweet malts hit the tongue first, followed by a huge waft of bright fruity hops, bitter, but with a great balancing sweetness from the malts. Mouth watering after every sip, mild alcohol heat initially but as the bottle lessens it seems to be tasting more and more boozy. The fresh plant-like hop aftertaste is more than pleasant and lingers on and on between sips. Big bodied beer here, definitely on the heavier side of medium, coating but not cloying with low carbonation. Damn drinkable for being 10.5%. Big hoppy mf'er... winner.

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours a nice copper color with good head and great lacing.

S: Mostly grassy/hoppy with some citrus underneath. I'm not quite over a cold so I don't know if I was missing something else.

T: Pine. Lots of pine. Overpowering pine. No heat from the alcohol. Again, the cold I'm coming off from might have masked other flavors, but all I could taste was pine.

M: Slightly oily and keeps the pine taste in your mouth. Surprisingly light bitterness in the finish.

D: Don't think I would have two in a row, but I would be willing to have one once in a while.

The overwhelming pine taste isn't quite my style. I seem to prefer a little more balance and this didn't do it for me with its one-note flavor.

4.79/5  rDev +17.1%

22 oz poured into generic pint glass

Appearance: Light orange/yellow with half inch head (great retention) and nice lacing.

Smell: Hop-fest. It smells like hops, and I don't mean a really hoppy beer, I mean straight up hops fresh from the homebrewing store. You can tell that some of the hops they used are highly acidic just from the aroma. There was a thread recently about which beer smelled/tasted the most like weed, well this one smells like some amazing weed nugs. It's hard to pick up anything else in the smell, I don't know, there might be a malt backbone in there somewhere. Time to taste.

Taste: Mmmm. I can't get over how deliciously hoppy this beer is. But here's the real surprise, it's not that bitter! Not in relation to some other hop-bombs anyway. No, this beer relies on the pure aroma and flavor of hops. Not to say there isn't any bitterness to it, but it's not exactly what you would expect from a DIPA. It's actually way sweeter than you would expect, which is nice. Fruit flavors galore in the initial taste, grapefruit, orange, lemon, mango, followed by that nice sweetness that almost wants to border malty but the hops say, "F that, I'm not surrendering that easy!" If I were to try to give the malt factor any credit I'd say there's an incredibly subtle caramel malt background.

Mouthfeel: Divine. Each sip makes me want more. It's syrupy but that's perfect because it coats your tongue with the delicious hop flavor and then the hop bite hits the back of your throat.

Drinkability: Surprisingly high. Besides the fact that this is so delicious that I would drink it everyday of my life, I can't tell in the least that it is 10.5% ABV.

Overall: If you couldn't tell by now (or you only read the overall portion of reviews) this is one amazing brew. I love Unearthly and I really love Hoppe and as much as this beer sounded great I never would have imagined that this would be their lovechild. Not too long ago I had 16 Grit DIPA from Surly and decided it was the best DIPA ever. Gemini doesn't quite outdo 16 Grit but comes about as damn close as possible. If you can get this beer, get it. If you're a hop head, get it. If you have no clue about good beer, still, get it. If they don't distribute this in your area, trade for it. You will not regret it. So, Southern Tier, what do you think about making this a year round?

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

What a great IIPA. Transparent amber color with a white head. Nose is just absolutely filled with citrusy hops. Orange, grapefruit, a little muskyness. Taste is more citrusy hops, a chorus of citusy flavors, like the aroma. Mouthfeel is perfection. Creamy, with a touch of carbonation and a dry finish. Amazingly well balanced, considering the ABV level. Close to perfection. I drank this with some spicy asian food and it cut the spice with perfection. The best east coast IPA I've ever had.

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a goblet. Body was a light copy, with a very think white head. Head is fairly active, and has some okay lacing. Nose is strong, some pine but predominantly spruce. I've never experienced spruce being the overwhelming aroma. I've yet to have Hoppe, but from what I remember from Unearthly - is that it's flavor and scent were very resiny - not sharp like what this is giving off thus far.

And the spruce doesn't go away, as it's the first note that I taste. Taste takes a pit stop with some mint and parsley and then a brief hiatus with some sugar cane sweetness. The sweetness really comes out as you sift the brew through you mouth - and I'm assuming will be more pronounced as it warms. Finish is a light pine. Really the evolution of this flavor is unmatched to anything I've had before, and really awesome. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, gentle stickiness - which really compliments the ton of flavor that's going on, as it doesn't interfere.

Heck yes! I have been underwhelmed thus far with what I've had from ST, Unearthly included. This one though, I'm a big fan. Really complex - definitely recommend this.

This poured a clear, bright gold with white head. It smelled like complex floral hops that was a mix of fresh mint and black pepper and grass and thistle, along with subtle honey malt and lemon hops. It tasted like powerful mint and pepper and bitter thistle hops, with sweet honey malt. It was fairly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a very bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a pretty unique taste that was very clean and bitter. It hid the alcohol quite well, and had great body. But in the end, I just couldn't enjoy the taste of this as much as I wanted to. I can appreciate the craft of this brew, but personally, I would prefer to simply drink Hoppe or Unearthly.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Gulden Draak Tulip. Sharp new graphics with a quasifuturistic looking shine on the label. Looks Awesome!

Pours a glowing orange color with a relatively tiny light beige head which fades away quite quickly leaving behind some clingy lace on the glass. Minimal amount of sediment is visable on the second pour with solid carbonation. Sediment seems to sink to the bottom of the glass pretty rapidly.

S-The nose on this is Pungent fruity hops. Loaded with your standard citrus aromas of Tangerine, Grapefruit, pineapple and a touch of pine.

T&M- Wow! This stuff is fantastic! Sweet honey maltiness hangs tough with the extensive hop profile the whole way on this one. I haven't looked at the hop variation for this beer but It seems like Amarillo and a variation of a few of the C's seems to be the hops that comes to mind. Mild alcohol lingers enough at the end to balance the bitterness off creating a superb mouthfeel. This is a pretty hoppy beer but it doesn't seem to overpower you with hops, most likely due to the great balance.

D- Drinkability seems to be quite good. My only knock on Unearthy (And DON't get me wrong I Love that beer!) is that it tends to be a little boozy and not very drinkable, Gemini on the other hand seems to be a lot more drinkable considing the both of them are pretty close
with ABV.

All in all this is a top notch DIPA that is well worth seeking out and stockpiling.

Southern Tier is clearly at the top of their Game!

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

The beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a very bright and clear copper coloration. The head is off biege about an inch thick and resolves into a thin foamy covering of the beer. Inspite of the thin layering it looks rich and inviting. Thick foamy lacing remains behind on my glass.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is like the greatest hits of a DIPA. The primary aroma is of citrus grapefruit, oranges, and a twist of lemon. Supporting aromas of pine, pineapple and a whiff of caramel are well cast in this hop bomb.

Taste: The beer gives me a flash of malty sweetness that compliments a very pleasing hop bill. The citrus and pine hops grab attention of my palate and dont let go. Very nice bittering to the beer. The beer starts a bit sweet but bitterness dries it out nicely. I may be a bit tight on taste rating. This is almost everything I want in a DIPA.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The carbonation helps to break this up a bit. The abv could be problematic but it is well hidden and incorporated in the beer. Honestly I found this beer to be a very easy beer drinking experience. Very dangerous abv at nearly 11% but dam tasty. Shake it fast but be careful...

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

Served chilled in my oversized snifter.

A: Pours a clear dark copper, with a one finger white head. Head recedes quickly leaving a small film on top. Nice sticky lacing.

S: Big pine hops in the front, with some grapefruit following. Some sweet malts in the back as well, but the nose is dominated by pine.

T: Very balanced. The sweet malts and piney/grapefruit hops really blend together well. Not one flavor really stands out to me. A spicy little kick in the back. Very nice.

M: Thickness and carbonation are right on the money. This one really coats the mouth well, with a very pleasant aftertaste.

D: For being a 10.5% Imperial IPA, the alcohol is very well hidden. This goes down deceptively smooth. A very well done IIPA, my favorite offering from Southern Tier to date.

4.19/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a nice golden orange color with one finger of light creamy white head.

Scent of sweet fruit, juicy hops, caramel malts, cotton candy, yeast, and a faint funkiness. There is a lot to this scent, but it is surprisingly balanced, pungent sweetness and hops with subtle funk.

Taste of sugars, hops and grain start, some candy flavors and funk come in, leading into a finish of hops, earth, and some alcohol. Good stuff, but it's a shame it doesn't match the glorious scent.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, but a bit watery.

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

22 fl oz brown bottle; served in a tulip.

Slightly hazy with a brilliantly clear copper coloring; very active carbonation. Creamy, bright white head that leaves a thick ring of lacing around the tulip's rim. Walls of thickly webbed lacing with very good strength.

Intensely bright pine aromatics with notes of cedar and spruce. Sharp bubblegum, pineapple, tart pear, green apple. Very pleasant slightly sour qualities that have a nice balance with the spicy pine qualities. Semi-sweet bready, toasted malts that adds just enough sweetness.

Moderately sweet bready malts that are more pronounced than other Double IPAs. Near intense bubblegum hop flavors that last well into the aftertaste, also accompanied by short-lived green apple, pear, orange, and grapefruit. Bright floral hops that taste slightly burnt by mid-sip. Oily moreso than bitter at mid-sip. Apple, bubblegum, pear, and cedar in the aftertaste. Big flavors, but not exactly balanced.

Practically full in body; sharp and active on the palate with only a brief period of filminess in the finish. A little too active and young stylistically.

A big 'combined' Double IPA with pretty intense flavors. The dynamic flavor profile is somewhat unbalanced due to the intense alcohol and active carbonation. I'd be interested to see if this one has the ability to settle down after putting it away for a year or two.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company