Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

New version now sold in 12 oz bottles.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A beautiful pour. Amber type saturation and a thick creamy head that leaves sticky chunky lacing in the remaining path. Tiny bubbles really tiny and in the thousands race toward the foam topper.

Amazing aroma. Layers and layers of hop aromas. Floral perfumy esters lead into a citrusy grapefruit peach bomb. A thick acidity and malty depth really sustain that earthy, grassy, floral resiny aroma.

Lost a little of its hop luster in the mouth from the fresh bottles I had yet still amazingly complex and hoppy. Covers all the hop profiles. Citrusy, grassy acidic front and middle that moves into hints of earthy pine and a bready malt that balances. Finishes with a great floral finish. Great balance with nothing overwhelming.

Somewhat resiny and viscous on the mouthfeel. Full and well rounded. Just a great blend of beers by Southern Tier. Hope this one happens again, however being 50% Hoppe and 50% Un-earthly I suppose it it's not I could try my best:)

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves one finger of a tan head that has excellent retention, and it leaves webs of sticky lacing. Body is orange amber.

Smell - hops fill the nose, being very floral, with some citrus, as well as some pine, spices, and herbs. Some malt under all that, showing up as barley crackers and toasty malt biscuits.

Taste - hops, flood the tongue, with pine resiny bitterness. In the middle, the malt backbone struggles to assert itself, with barley crackers and toasty malt biscuits, and there are more hops with tastes of spices, herbs, and citrus. On the finish there is some medicinal alcohol.

Mouthfeel - medium to full bodied, slick from the hop oils, and semi-dry at times from both the hops and the alcohol.

Drinkability - this is a very good ale, but its very high abv limits its sessionability.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with a slight haze to it. The head was a nice creamy off-white color that left very nice lacing on the glass. A nice juicy pineapple aroma, floral, very juicy. Where the smell was wonderful, the taste sort of lacks. The taste starts off with a tropical/pineapple hop flavor but is quickly mellowed out by the sweet honey malt, which kind of leave an almost sticky sweetness. Its not a cloying sugar bomb DIPA but I feel it doesn't quite highlight the hops enough. The feel is moderate with soft carbonation and finishes slightly slick and sticky due to the booze-ahol. A solid mid-tier DIPA, not over the top, and not what I consider a hop bomb. Another solid bomber series of Southern Tier.

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Gotta thank southerntier for this brew. Private stash was raided so I could have a little gander into the world of what is GEMINI!!! Pours a nice cloudy amber color with a delicious frothy head. Smell is superb Very Hoppy and sweet. Taste is amazing. I'm a big unearthly fan, and big hoppe fan, but this trumps them both. The combination of the two gave this the great pineapple taste from the hoppe and that great floral (piney) flavor unearthly brought. Truly a great DIPA. (Try unfiltering unearthly too. For me unfiltered is the way to go) Mouthfeel was slightly malty due to the unearthly, and crispy and refreshing like the hoppe. Drinkability is good as well, 10.5 abv, come on, that's nothing!! lol

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Beautiful unfiltered DIPA. Body is a bright translucent-very cloudy amber that pours with a large foamy white head. Head fades to one finger and has perfect retention from there. Plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- The nose is a hop-lovers heaven. There is a wonderful balance between, earthy, grassy, herbal, floral, and citrus hops. The only thing missing in the nose is the piny hops. Subtle caramel and pale malts in the background.

T- Bold hoppy flavor upfront. The citrus hops from Hoppe fight for dominance with the earthy/grassy hops from Unearthly. All with a nice caramel and pale malt backbone. The finish is a blast of floral hop flavor along with the other flavors already mentioned. Unfortunately, Not much of the good initial flavor lingers, just a strong hop bitterness that lasts on and on.

M- Medium to high carbonation and a nice smooth, oily body that one would expect from this style. Well done.

D- This is a good DIPA. It looks great, smells great, has a great mouthfeel, and the ABV is very well hidden. The only problem I had with this brew is that I don't really like Hoppe all that much in the first place. The combination of Hoppe/Unearthly is much better than the original Hoppe, but not as good as Unearthly. This was a good brew-another creative well-done beer by Southern Tier.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

got this one from new england beverage company:

a. pours a nice murky straw color with hits of amber, a finger-finger 1/2 of frothy white head, some nice tiered lacing

s. nice hop aroma, simcoe, citrusy

t. malty-bread nicely balanced with hops, bitterness remains on tongue, but not long enough to be unpleasant

m. would do better with a little more body, about medium

d. easy to drink, nice hop and malt balance

overall more body would have made this brew better, reminds me of Bear Republic Racer 5 with a little less body and not quite as fresh

Appears a glowing orange vibrant body slight hazed appearance with a large off white foaming head large bubles rise to the top this is an amazing looking brew. The head forms creamy and thick with large bands of even lacing forming between gallant sips of this adventurous brew. Aroma contains pungent grapefruit and alcohol intertwined with sugary malts that billow between syrup and fructose. An amazing experiment of the blending of two beers however next time I request an iron clad wax seal with a beer that I actually have an interest in cellaring not just their hoppy beers. Bring on Jah-va in this format or Choklat, or Oat either one would benefit from some age but these hoppy beauties that ST/BC try to bottle age are generously hopped brews that really take away their aging aspects. Piney wood age hops with citric acid coating are delicious by all means but they're definitely not meant for aging. The blend of Hoppe's bodacious rough and raw hop character with the well engaged Unearthly brew bring great comparisons about the contrast of these two types of ales. Drinkiability is amazing mouthfeel is untamed and wild but will have the biggest craft brewer salivating in their gums, what an unlikely harmony of outrageously good brews and what we've come to accept.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Welp, ol joe1510 sent this bad boy to me via trade, thanks!

First off, I have NEVER had a wax top that was gorilla glue instead of wax - took me 15 minutes to get 'er open.

Oh, the beer was classis DIPA, citrus hops everywhere, juicy smacking drinker. Woody, resinous, and full of pine hops - tasty treat indeed. No hint of any alcohol, this is sliding easily on the deck in the 70 degrees. ANY chance you get to try Southern Tier, jump on it.

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

Bomber poured into an imperial pint (this is an imperial IPA, no?), Gemini is a lightly hazed pale copper with a fairly large, bone colored head that leaves rocky hunks of foam.

Smell is very hoppy, an amalgamation of flowers, citrus and pine that really comes together nicely. Wow.

Taste is even more Wow. I have to admit when I first heard about this beer, I had very high expectations, as I love Unearthly. But then I just had hoppe for the first time before this, and wasn't overly impressed, but after the first couple sips of the Gemini, I quickly realized how great this is. This is definitely the best DIPA/IPA, I've ever had - I just can't believe how much I love this! The smooth, soft sweetness of the hop flavor is so perfectly delivered, pineapple and bubblegum, with a fresh snappy pine backbone, with very little indication of the ABV, lingering bitterness or other astringent flavors sometimes found in these bigger IPAs.

Mouthfeel is creamy, chewy and dry, yet fairly easy on the belly - enough precieved 'freshness' in the hops that the malt not too sweet or heavy.

Drinkability is super high do the remarkable taste and smoothness, expect for that sinking feeling of drinking your last precious drops of the nectar of the gods, knowing you probably won't be getting any more anytime soon...huge thanks to yetter!

4.05/5  rDev -1%

22oz bomber poured into a pint

Had a bitch of a time getting into the wax. I recommend taking a knife to one side, cutting straight in and then using a regular bottle opener to get in there and pop it.

Pours a golden orange with a pretty off-white head with great retention and nice lacing

Smells of wet, fresh piney, citrus hops. Slightly subdued, but you know they are there. A nice sweet toasted malt backbone, nicely balanced.

Tastes much like the smell with a nice grapefruit citrus palate.

A nice, slightly chewy hop feel. Feels big and bold but finishes nice and smooth.

Actually drinks really well. The hops can slow you down, but a good drink overall.

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Southern Tier- Gemini

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

A- Beautiful cloudy copper with a thick messy head.
S- Sweet malt and sticky pine hops.
T- Thick syrupy malt with a mild pine hop flavor. Subtle fruit notes come through like prune and raisin.
M- Silky smooth and quite mild for a 10.5% alc beer, well hidden!!

Overall- Very mild for the high alc. Otherwise tasty and a good beer on tap.

3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

Well I want to start off by saying that I really like Southern Tier beers. just about everything I've had from them has been if not really enjoyable, than at least damn pleasant.

I hate to admit it but I'm not feeling this beer.

It pours a hazy amber orange with an off white sticky head that oozes hop aroma. The beer is damn striking in the glass and I though that I would be in for a treat... not so much.
I find the malt backbone to be really laking and the hops to bit a bit biting and aggressive, even for an imperial IPA. The hops are missing the delicious juicy citrus and pine that I long for, particularly from S.T. beers.

I bought a wax topped 22 ounce bottle, that I assumed i could take down in one shot, but I have to admit it was a bit of a struggle for me to finish this beer. Apparently Gemini is a blend of S.T.'s other IPA's Hoppe and Un-earthly, bot of which I find infinitely more successful than this.

I don't hate this beer, and I would probably drink it again, but as far as S.T. beers go I would just assume have an un-earthly any day, over this one.

i really do love Southern Tier beers though, and I look forward to some more great drinkers in the future.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

orangey gold colored, with a moderate white head, that laces a bit.
the aroma gives you sweet flowery grapefruit, asprin, some wheat/bread characteristics and light caramel. some light melon aromas actually come out with warmth. generally the aroma somewhat subdued actually... basically it smells more like hoppe than the unearthly.
the taste has a bright crisp bitterness, that sets the tone of the rest of the flavors. it seems to be lacking the grapefruit from the aroma though going a more herbal grassy direction hop-wise. sweetness peaks at mid palate, with caramel, honey, a little graininess, wheat characteristics again, and some toasted wheat bread. it's sweet, but in a satisfying, crisp, un-heavy kind of way. it's unique in that sense in maintains an almost quenching quality even at 10.5%.
a slick full-medium body, with delicate and moderately active carbonation makes it fairly easy drinking.
overall good drinkability, the wheat characteristics really help out this beer, creating a quite drinkable beer for what it is.

Photo of
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

22oz. bottle.

Slightly hazy, light gold in color. Medium to full, creamy, off-white head. Some legs, decent lacing.

Grapefruit and flowery aromas, backed up with some wheat bread.

Taste was grapefruit predominantly, and all about the hops. Surprisingly, I found little to no alcohol in the taste. Touch of sweet as we went along, maybe some sugar on the grapefruit?

Medium to full body, mouth coating. Low carbonation, almost creamy in feel. Not dry. ABV burn comes on quick and hard.

I like it! Not as unbalanced as Hoppe, not as sweet as Unearthly. A great combination.

On tap at Zeno's, State College, PA
A: Hazy, peach-ish amber with a medium-sized, fluffy, off-white, slowly diminishing head. Excellent lacing.
S: Very pungent hops. Citrus and pine with a decent malt backbone. Lightly buttery
T: Very easy drinking and... oh my this is good! Complex and big, but in a very lovely balanced way. LOTS of a juicy citrus flavor that I love.
M: Medium body, dry texture, soft carbonation.
D: I thought maybe I was just getting too jaded as of late and no beers really wowed me in a long time. This one gave a warm & fuzzy feeling and put a big smile on my face. This one is definitely worth seeking out.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle each from Nutbrown and Joe1510 in trade...thanks Alan & Joe!

Hmmm..waxed over cap on this 22oz bottle that I found to be kind of a pain in the ass to open(Hey, I've dealt with Grand Teton waxed bottles)
but..it pours a clear light gold with at least a 2 finger head of foam that shrinks some but never less than about a 1/2" by the end of the session. Lots of lacing too!

The smell is *very* nice for the style and the way I almost expect from the style: equal portions of caramel malt & grapefruit hops.

The taste starts of a bit sweeter than I would have expected judging from how balanced the nose was but the hops are there all right, nice notes of grapefruit, some floral, a tiny bit of grass and it's still dominated by the sweetness from the malt. Maybe just a tad too sweet, even for me. The balance just isn't at the level I like for a DIPA but that's not saying that I'm not liking what I'm drinking. Confused yet? ;^)

The mouthfeel is really thick for me, the carbonation is on the medium-light side and the finish is slightly bitter. It's good stuff but finishing one bottle will do it for me as I'm starting the notice the abv though I don't notice it in the taste nor much during and after the swallow.

Bottom line: I think it's a really good DIPA that the only complaint I have for it is that it's just a *tad* bit too sweet. Not too much of a complaint, when I think about it.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

I definitely need to find a way to conduct a proper taste test between this, Hoppe, and Unearthly. There's no way I'll make it through a twenty two ounce serving of each and have anything coherent to say by the time I am half way through.
That being said!
I found this to be a delicious double IPA.
The gold seal was annoying to deal with. I don't like any more obstacles between my beer and I than absolutely necessary.
The differences between this and its sibling double IPAs made by Southern Tier are subtle. The clearest differences seem to be in the textures. I believe this one to be the bubbliest of the three (perhaps being newly bottled with that added seal, well, sealing), and perhaps the most well balanced. This being a blend of those other two tasty brews makes sense as this shows a broader scope of citrus flavors, but each of those flavors being at a relative lower volume. Zests of lemon, lime, orange, tangerine, grapefruit... all make guest appearances with no particular one taking a starring role. Well masked alcohol with underlying malt support makes this a short lived bottle of beer.
Wicked good stuff. I'd buy this again without hesitation.

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

Thanks to JW347 for this trade.

After nearly stabbing myself trying to cut off some of the wax/plastic top I found two indented holes which made it easier to take the cap off, note I said "easier" not "easy."

Very nice looking DIPA, a slightly dark golden color with over an inch of foam. Very good head retention as well.

The aroma is a combination of tropical fruits, slightly spicy, and a huge malt background. Lots of citrus fruits like grapefruit, orange, tangerine, lemon and also some pineapple and hints of guava. As I mentioned earlier there is a big malt presence in this beer, toasted bread, I thought about cara-pils before reading the back label and I'm right, there is a nice presence there. I'm also picking up the red wheat. A few earthy aromas and slightly spicy coming from the dry hop addition.

Tastes bitterer than the aroma would lead you to believe. A nice crisp bitter bite upfront with some ripe citrus and earthy notes. Then the toasted bread flavor grabs hold in the middle of the sip and finishes dry and bitter with slight alcohol warmth. There's a slight grainy taste in the finish with a lingering dry wheat bread after-taste, which is not really going favorably with me.

Well carbonated, good mouth-feel, soft on the palate.

Meh, didn't really impress me.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Comsumed on 02.15.08 at Liberty Street Tavern in Allentown, PA...

Murky and amber in colour, thick and heady out of the bottle. Good nose full of hops with citrus and piney goodness playing well. Smooth on the tongue with the hops and malty backbone dancing well. A little alcohol noted, but hardly "hot". Overall pretty enjoyable but I have had others in this style that I prefer more. Still, another solid Southern Tier offering.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from the bomber into a white wine glass.

A - Slightly cloudy, copperish straw colored. Not too much head, dissipates to a lace.

S - Sweet and citrusy hops. I like it so far...

T - Very hoppy (as expected), but I don't taste the citrus that is present in the smell.

M - Heavy carbonation on the finish is the biggest thing I notice. It takes away from the way I expect the beer to be at the end.

D - Considering the hoppiness and the high abv, this beer isn't good for more than one or two glasses. That doesn't change the fact that the first is great, though.

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

22 ounce bottle with gold wax acquired in a trade with todd1, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this beer

Split with a friend who is a big fan of imperial IPAs, poured into my Aventinus glass

A-Color looked different in the wtwo glasses I poured, mine was more golden orange while the other was on the red side, 3/4 inch foamy white head, decent retention, some lacing as well

S-Lots of wheat, grassy hops, amarillo, sweet malt, lemon juice, tangerines, bready malt aromas, and some spices

T-Tasted more of the amber side of this brew than I orginanlly thought, lots of biscuit-like flavors with an intensely dry finish, when it warmed the sweet malt really came out, so did the lemon and grapefruit tastes, onlyt tasted pine on the first sip or two, more malt than hops unfortunately, took me about an hour to finish eleven ounces or so, not balanced, had high expectations that were not fulfilled

M-Chewy and bitter mouthfeel at the same time, taste lingered, espeically the sweetness, pretty thick body, not enough carbonation

D-Could not drink more than a bottle most likely, too sweet for me, heavy on the stomach, over ten percent alcohol makes it even less of a session beer

Interested to see what a blend of Hoppe and Unearthly tasted like, prefer the two individually though, the wax was like metal and took me twenty minutes to get it off after poking myself with a wine cork twice in the process, more malty than the majority of other DIPAs I have tasted, recommended if you are curious like I was

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

22 ounce bomber. Chose my Levitation Ale glass as it's nearly a dead ringer for the "fluted glass" Southern Tier recommends and has illustrated on the bottle.

A - Pours out a very nice looking cloudy golden colo. About two fingers of white head forms, laces well and has staying power throughout the whole drink.

S - Tons of citrus hop on the nose. Grapefruits with a sweeter orangey hint as well.

T - Taste begins with an excellent blend of hoppy flavors, citrus and some bitterness. Rush of sweet fruity malt comes through. Alcohol is well hidden, barely showing after the fruity malts. Beer finishes nice and dry.

M - Nice medium body, medium carbonation, smoooth feeling brew.

D - Delicious and DANGEROUSLY easy to drink. Alcohol is well hidden. Tons of great flavor, and still a fairly light feel.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bottle topped with gold "wax". really more like some satanic plastic/wax mix. i'd heard of how tough it was to remove, so i went straight to a utility knife and tried to go around the bottom of the cap so i could pry the top off without removing all the wax. it basically exploded on contact, sending shards of gold all over the counter. it also seems to have some ungodly glue-like property, sticking to both the glass bottle and the cap. cleanup will easily take 5x as long as getting the cap off.

sampled feb 11/08.

pours crystal clear orangey amber colour with a big dense off-white head. the head drops slowly and leaves a sheet of lace down the glass.

aroma is good. bit of grapefruit. orange and tangerine. pine. biscuit. bit of bread. light alcohol. slightly earthy. bit of caramel sweetness.

taste is good. medium bitterness level. light pine. grapefruit. nice orange and tangerine. light alcohol. solid biscuit and bready malt. caramel sweetness. seems like a tamed-down version of unearthly with a bit more malt.

mouthfeel is good. nice smooth low carbonation level. medium body.

drinkability is great. the 10.5% abv is hidden quite well - tastes more like 6%, aside from the nice warming sensation by the time you get about 1/3 of the way through the bomber. overall i think i'd take unearthly over this one, but still an interesting and enjoyable beer.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

This had to be one of the worst bottle presentations I have ever seen. The gold wax was about as thick as can be making it nearly impossible to pop the top. After some hacking away with my knife I was able to chip enough of the wax off to use a bottle opener.

Poured a bright orange color with a creamy, sudsy white as snow 2 inch thick head. Plenty of lacing and the foamy thin 1/2 layer of head stays throughout my session. Smell is sweet malt followed by plenty of hops. A lot of orange peel with some piney hops. Taste is very smooth with plenty of balance.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Light coppery orange. Nice thick white head. Great retention and prominent lacing.

S-The classic citrus hop punch...what I would expect from a brew that is a combo of Hoppe and Unearthly! Some sweet malty goodness creeps thru towards the end.

T-Bam..hop, pow..hop, ker-pop..hop! Nice melding of hop flavors nicely balanced by sweet malt caramel goodness. A bit of sticky sweetness ending with an astringent pucker.

M- Moderate body with a sticky mouthfeel.
Carbonated just enough to keep everything flowing. A good feeling beer.

D-Nice job on a blend of 2 great beers. The high ABV will certainly keep drinking multiples of this to a minimum....but to enjoy one or two...certainly a pleasure!

Gemini (Imperial Blended Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company