Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 4,685 | Reviews: 1,496
Reviews by jhighlandbrewing:
1.5/5  rDev -64.8%

A_Pours dark brown. No head. No lace.

S_Smells like artificial milk chocolate. Sweet malted milk.

T_God awful. Taste like Hershey syrup and whoppers. Hardly a beer. More like a chocolate liqueur. Way too sweet to even be tolerable.

M_Moutheel was actually ok except that it felt like sugar was coating teeth. Other than that it was thick and full bodied.

D_Ask my sink.

Dont understand the high ratings on some of these ST beers. Seriously . . . this shit sucks.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap in a Chimay goblet at the Wurst Place, Seattle. Chocolate chocolate and more chocolate. This beer tastes like they melted a Hershey bar in the glass. Aroma is chocolate and vanilla. Best chocolate beer ever. I'm not sure I want this more than once every three years but hey it's fun stuff. Mouthfeel is very smooth. The bartender suggested a scoop of ice cream would go well with this beer. Hops? Who needs hops?

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Looks like chocolate.
S - Smells like chocolate.
T - Tastes like chocolate.
M - Feels like chocolate.
O - Liquid chocolate. If someone told me this stuff was barrel-aged, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised - it sure smells and tastes just as good as some of the best barrel-aged beers I've had. Well done Southern Tier, well done!

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Insane chocolate character in this beer!

The beer decants like hot cocoa with a silky looking pour and with dark chocolate colors. Ok, it's a Stout. Head formation and retention could have been better but probably reduced because of the intense amount of cocoa oils it would take to pull this beer off.

If you put my nose in this beer and then in a fresh baked pan of brownies, I don't know if I could distinguish the scents. It's that good. A darker quality cocoa gives a great stradle between the Stout character and French Roast character. The bold cocoa aromas are complimented by softer and more caramelly milk-chocolate notes. Extremely seductive aroma!

Flavors deliver on the promises that the nose told. Nearly all cocoa and milk chocolate but with a great balance comming from the espresso-like strength and bitterness. Hops also play a part in bitterness, but not in flavor.

Extremely silky and creamy in feel. The beer holds true to Imperial Stouts, but with a super sleek texture. The 11% abv. is nowhere to be seen. This beer is well put together.

Never have I tasted a chocolate flavored beer with this much boldness, balance, or genuine chocolate character that leads the way throughout the session.

Thanks Arvjunk!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

This amazing stout poured into a Guinness pint glass a deep but not quite opaque black there was a little tinge of ruby when held to the light a creamy tight one finger mocha colored head atop that settled into a creamy mass atop.I have never encountered a beer with such a chocolate fudge presence in the nose in anything for that matter it was like a fudge brownie with a bit of raisin and molasses just awesome.That big bakers chocolate presence is felt on the palate hitting big up front like a dense chocolate cake infused with a touch of raisin and raw nut,a slight earthy presence is felt in the finsih to make it perfect no cloying sweetness.Wow can a better chocolate stout be made? I honestly dont think its posible, ST made this beer a standard for any beer infused with chocolate,just awesome!

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Appearance: Dark Brown with a light brown head that lasts and lasts as a thin skim.

Aroma: Boozy and bitter dark chocolate. Tootsie roll like sweet chocolate too.

Taste: Chocolate dominates, making up perhaps 90 plus percent of the profile. Touches of roasted malt and crème fill in the rest.

Mouthfeel: Boozy but only lightly burning, bittersweet, fairly full bodied but still surprisingly light considering the abv.

Drinkability: Not good at all for me. This is too tootsie roll like and one dimensional for my tastes. I have a hard time drinking this in any serious quantity. Good for what it is trying to be though.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Dark brown, the liquid actually seems thinner than I had expected. A small light-beige head dissipates quite fast. Small lacings, basically just a ring of foam around the edges.

S: A very nice but not as complex smell. Deep and powerful smell of dark chocolate. Chocolate syrup, hazelnuts and cream. Rather sweet smell and with all that chocolate is almost reminiscent of a chocolate dessert.

T: Chocolate flavors dominate - both rich flavors of dark chocolate and some sweeter chocolaty notes. Chocolate syrup. The taste is actually quite sweet. Nice coffee flavors, roasted malts, some wood, faint salty notes. More sweet notes in the form of vanilla, cream and hazelnuts. Almost like a chocolate milkshake. The finish is more bitter than expected and has a rather prominent taste of alcohol to it. Some vanilla sugar, light hop aromas and even more chocolate.

M: Full bodied, but it could be a little thicker if you'd ask me. Rather sticky texture. Restrained carbonation.

D: A very good chocolate stout with a chocolate profile that would make Willy Wonka envious. But still, it has some weak points. The bitterness and the taste of alcohol in the finish is too prominent and the body could have been a little thicker. But still, a really good beer.

4.73/5  rDev +11%

This was a guest beer at Willibrew. Pours nearly jet black with dark brown at the edges only when held to a bright light. 1 finger tan head dissipates to small amount of lacing.
Smell is chocolate, a hint of roasted barley, and a slight amout of sweetness that hints at the alcohol. Did I mention it smells like chocolate?!
Taste initially is sweet with huge amounts of bittersweet chocolate. There is again some roasted flavors, but these are swept away in more chocolate. The alcohol is barely evident in the taste. The flavor is like a beer version of sipping chocolate. Very nice.
Mouthfeel is smooth and becomes smoother as the temperature warms. Minimal carbonation, which is fine by me.
Drinkability is very high...provided you like chocolate. (Did I mention it tastes like chocolate?) ABV is evidence is the start of a buzz but does not interfere with the other flavors. Despite the dominant chocolate, there is enough else going on to make this a beer that is definitely worth drinking.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Reviewed from notes taken on 6/16/11.

Choklat pours dark, dark brown, close to black, in color. The head is a pretty mocha-tan and sits at a finger tall after a medium-hard pour into a snifter. Small, splotchy lacing is left behind on the glass post-sip.

The smell yields loads and loads of dark chocolate. It reminds me of a really dark and thick chocolate shake. A hint of caramel resides in the bouquet, along with just the smallest whiff of alcohol.

The taste is an ooey gooey dark chocolate bomb that has much more of a supporting caramel flavor than I smelled. It makes me think of a dark chockate version of a Rolo. The aftertaste is pretty roasty, with a little acidity, and lingering overtones of chocolate.

The mouthfeel is silky smooth on my tongue, with a pretty full-bodied and coating syrupyness. At the end of each sip there is a rather biting and acidic roastiness, accompanied by a little sting on the throat from the alcohol.

This is a great chocolate stout. It is so rich and flavorful and is, by far, my favorite Southern Tier beer. They really hit a home run with this one!

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

Pitch black color with a head that falls quickly.

Aroma is pure chocolate, similar to hershey's syrup drizzled over a hershey kiss.

Taste is spot on rich, sweet chocolate with a full body that hides the alcohol well.

While I can't drink a lot of this, it is a great conversation piece that goes over well even among non-beer drinkers.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz bottle shared with the girlfirend.

A-Black, small whitish head about 1 inch.
S-Chocolate(surprise), cocoa, little vanilla, some earhty hops smell
T-Wow. Really surprised how much like chocolate this tastes. Smooth sweet and bitter dark chocolate. More vanilla, more hoips, sugar. Chocolate flavor really consolidates as it warms up. Where is the 11% alcohol?
M-Smooth and creamy with a tickle of carbonation on the swallow. Becomes really smooth as it warms
D-Dangerously drinkable especially as it warms

Not the most balanced beer, but one that wasn't the point. You should try this one.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

On tap served in a 10oz. snifter at Brixies in Brookfield Il

It poured a nice deep brown with a lasting cream colored head. Medium lacing proceeded to layer the glass.

The nose is 100% pure Hershey's chocolate syrup. No ifs and ir buts about it to me. It doesn't just smell chocolaty to me it smells exactly like the syrup. After that I can't even smell the beer to try and pick anything else out without focusing on the chocolate. I've never had another beer trigger a sensory memory like that before.

The taste is like a creamy bitter chocolate liquor to me. It's fresh so the alcohol stands out among the crowd but it isn't harsh, just present. This is a nice sipper and I think it some age will be awesome to this beer. I also think it's an excellent candidate for a nitro-tap.

Just a nice dessert beer that will fill you right up.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

22oz bomber pours into my glass a big deep black with ruddy brown edges and a small tan heads that becomes a ring around the top, not uncommon for 11%. Aromas leap out of the glass with an intense mix of rich Belgian hot cocoa, Tootsie Rolls and a slightly roasty sweetness. I get some fruity aspects coming through on the background as well along with a touch of vanilla. Wow, the aroma here is just wonderful and draws you in. Chocolate stout to the max!

First sip brings a rich, roasted dark malt upfront that carries a nice sweetness with it as well. The rich hot cocoa flavor moves in seamlessly with Tootsie Roll aspects again as well. Caramel ribbons along with a mellow fruity flavor in the background. A touch of vanilla as it flows down. This one finishes with a lingering rich chocolate. Yum.

Mouthfeel is big, creamy and chewy, while not becoming too heavy. Good carbonation that's on the more mellow side. This one is decadent and quite a pleasure to drink. The 11% is incredibly well hidden. This would go great with a chocolate dessert if you really want to indulge! Another winner from Southern Tier and the new king of chocolate stouts in my book! Seek it out.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this on tap at the Blue Tusk in Syracuse. Saw it and had to have it as I unfortunetly passed up a bottled at the local store and wasn't able to get it again.

Nice black brew, red highlights when held to the light. Light brown head that reduced to a ring around the glass. No lacing.

I try to be more descriptive in my reviews, but the bottom line of this beer is that the smell and aroma are straight up Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, straight from the bottle. No hints of the 11% at all. This is just straight up chocolate, with maybe a touch of bitterness towards the end. The only thing I'm tempted to ding this on is that it is one dimensional, but its so far above all the other chocolate beers out there, I'll let it pass.

Mouthfeel was decent, pretty full, slick on the tongue. Not the heaviest stout I've had. Overall drinkability is good too. The chocolate is amazing, this would be great with a multitude of deserts. But given its straight up chocolate aroma and flavor, you can only have so much. Also, that 11% will get you in trouble, as I found out later that night, haha.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours an oil slick black. Mocha 2 fingers head. Ample lacing.

Smells almost like Chocolate Ovalteen. Very sweet chocolate. Awesome smell. Never had that from a beer before. No ABV, might like a little. Not much roasted malt.

Wow. Sweet chocolate taste without being sweet. Does that make sense? Rum, bananna? No real hops, not a lot of roasted malt. I want to give a 4.5, but a little missing for the style.

Light for ABV. BArely taste the ABV to be honest. I must say for anything imperial, I like to taste the size of the beer.

Not something I could drink a lot of, but would love to have some each winter.

In my snifter the beer was a black color with a head the color of burnt sienna. The head faded quickly.
Sweet chocolate aroma, roasted malt. A little bit of vanilla.
Milk chocolate taste primarily. A little espresso. Warming in my mouth.
A rich beer, alcohol not at all noticeable.
Very nice.

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into HotD tulip.
Pours nicely one finger brown head. Dark brown in appearance.
Smell precedes taste with, what else? Chocolate.
The chocolate taste at first is good - I like chocolate. Taste is of real cocoa chocolate slightly burnt.
Nice.
Then I took another sip. And another.
And that was enough. Cloyingly sweet. Enough already.
This is not a beer I enjoyed after the initial couple of sips. Will save the rest to pour over vanilla ice cream.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I was served this beer, I was actually expecting a different beer altogether so the amount of chocolate flavor absolutely floored me. With each subsequent taste I couldn't believe how much I was enjoying this beer. It's got an incredibly creamy texture and the most amazing chocolate flavor. Almost like a chocolate mousse as a friend who I was sharing it with noted. This beer was a pleasure to drink.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

I got this via Beer Powerball. Thank you Shaebs99!!

I had really been looking forward to this. It sounds so delicious. Maybe I had too high of expectations, I don't know. :(

Looks and smells awesome. Dark chocolate color with a small tan head that doesn't stick around for too long. This smelled of chocolate before I even managed to get my nose near the glass. After sticking my face in the glass, all I could get was chocolate...sweet sticky chocolate. Smells like Hershey's. I was really expecting a taste sensation!

So, took a sip....chocolate and liquor. Honestly, I would best describe it as chocolate milk with some vodka tossed in. I really really wanted to like this beer, but it was tough to get through the bottle and I was sharing it. It's something to try at least once, I guess.

If only it tasted like it smelled, this would have been great.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Wow. It pours pitch black, dark and very opaque. Only tiny little bubbles are visible near the sides of the glass. A tan foamy head is formed by these tiny bubbles. The head slowly recedes as I drink, leaving nice lace patterns on the glass. The aroma catches the nose as it is poured. It is strong and full of dark and milk chocolate. The flavor is a bitter sweet chocolate with complementary chocolate and caramel malts. The hops add there own bitter complexity and play off the dark chocolate wonderfully. The palate is medium to full bodied, slick on the tongue and a little bit oily. This is an outstanding and decadent imperial stout that has a well hidden 11% abv that can sneak up on you.

2.6/5  rDev -39%

A: Pours a deep black with some ruby highlights. Foam is almost non-existant

S: Chocolate. Basically thats it. Some malt and alcohol coming through, but not much else

T: I've noticed other people referring to the cheapness of the chocolate taste. It took me a couple of sips to identify it, but finally it came to me. This tastes exactly like a chocolate tootsie roll pop. Kind of a "fake" chocolate taste. Overpowers all else.

M: Low for an IS. Kind of watery.

D: I struggled to get through the whole 22 oz bottle.

Overall, I would say this is my least favorite IS that I have tried. I wouldn't recommend it...unless you love tootsie roll pops.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours an oily, PITCH BLACK with a big tan head that lingers around for the long haul. Excellent lacing. Aroma is of you guess it....Chocolate, and LOTS of it. Smells like Hershey's chocolate syrup, milk chocolate, sweet, hot fudge, tootsie rolls. It's dessert time!
Tastes of more milk chocolate, hershey syrup, dark chocolate, hot fudge, just a touch of hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is very thick and viscous. Decent carbonation, oily coats your mouth. Once again Southern Tier amaze me at how they can cover up the alcohol presence in these big beers. At 11% abv you would expect there to be a considerable burn, but there isnt. Just a warming sensation in the belly that comes a little after consuming this master brew. An exceptional apertif beer.

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. Just wow. It's like YooHoo started brewing beer. Must try.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

Aroma: Really nice bittersweet chocolate aroma, but that's really all that I pick up. Kind of a one note pony.

Appearance: Jet black, completely opaque, brown head. Looks like a stout should look.

Taste: Very nice chocolaty flavor, with a very subtle coffee bitterness creeping up here and there. A little bitter and a little sweet, finishes on a lingering bittersweet note.

Feel: Nice and full, really coats the mouth, low carbonation. Surprisingly, it's a little dry in the aftertaste.

Overall: Absolutely incredible that this beer is 11% ABV. It's warming but like a cup of hot chocolate, not burning alcohol. Really enjoyed this highly drinkable, high ABV stout. Definitely looking forward to picking this up next winter!

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured opaque black with a brown head. The aroma was like chocolate liquor with some peppermint patty. Think the chocolate came off very extract-ish in the flavor. I was still good, but it was just that one note. Medium/full body. Medium carbonation. Semi sweet finish. Syrupy.

to view more.