Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,480 | Hads: 4,819
3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

All you need is one glass of Southern Tier's Choklat Imperial Stout and you will never, ever, forget it.

I had this on tap at a dog bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn at the end of the summer. So it had been aged about 8 months at that point. The pour is pitch black, thick as tar, and only a little bubbly. It screams dessert beer. Since we have to select a rating on BeerAdvocate, I gave the smell a 4.5. Truthfully, it's not hard at all to describe. It's chocolate and booze. But by that I mean, tons and tons and tons and tons (read: tons) of chocolate. Mostly sweet chocolate, a touch of bitter chocolate, and maybe there's fudge there too. Who knows. It's chocolate and then booze. The taste?

The same. Hardly anything to say except that it's absolutely overwhelming. A blast of chocolate, sweet and bitter, that covers all the boozy heat. You get the booze a bit more as it warms and at the back of the tongue. Other than that, all chocolate. It is what it says it is. And it does it better than any other chocolate stout I've ever tried.

Like a shake, this baby is so much one thing it pretty much overdoes it. If paired with food, or an ice cream float, I could see this beer being the hit of a party. But by itself, and reviewing it as a standalone beer, I couldn't even finish the glass.

But it was on my list of ones to try, and I do NOT regret it. I'm even aging a bottle to try after a few years. Maybe some of the notes temper down with age. We'll see.

Until then, I have my memories. (1,500 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Special thanks to BA stevemcqueenjr for sharing this at the Lost Abbey 3rd Anniversary party.

Poured a deep brown with just a suggestion of head; forms a little ring around the edge of the glass. Very light lacing.

Smell is cocoa powder and Hershey's syrup.

Taste follows suit. Pure chocolate syrup here; not even a hint at booze despite the high ABV. Quite sweet, and (I guess) intentionally unidimensional.

Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and velvety with no alcohol burn. Clean finish.

The alcohol on this one is undetectable, but its a bit sweet for me to drink a lot of.

All in all, a tough beer to rate. It is really tasty, but VERY unique. This thing is pure chocolate, from start to finish. It is definitely what the brewer was going for, but it doesn't seem like a great representative of the style.

Will drink again. (837 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours like oily black sludge with a surprisingly thick head with an oak hue.

S- Strong chocolate, hersheyesque with a coffee undertone and alcohol notes.

T- Again very strong chocolate, toffee, more chocolate. I think this one delivers on the chocolate but can become cloying a bit of the way through which is why I dinged it a bit, still a delicious brew.

M- Thick, with an ample amount of carbonation... just enough for the style in my opinion.

D- The chocolate is a bit overwhelming but it's definitely a treat for the first half of the glass and by the second half you dont even care at 11 percent abv. (613 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

I bought a bottle of this at the Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a deep, deep brown. It is very close to black. The body was so still that there was no head and consequently no lace.
Smell: The aroma reminded me of s'mores. I wasn't able to place any of the specific scents.
Taste: The flavors were, obviously, chocolate. I tasted M & M's and milk chocolate. It wasn't very bitter at all.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very smooth.
Drinkability: This is a very good sipping beer. It is a bit intense, but I enjoyed it. I wasn't able to finish the entire bottle.
Don't drink and review. (642 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 22oz'er at 49F into a tulip.

A - Deep black with a moderate amount of mocha cream colored foam that fades fairly quickly. Thinnish lacing.

S - Pure chocolate. Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and just a hint of stout on the nose - malts, a pinch of hops. Definitely a bit of alcohol as well.

T - Very very chocolately. This is definitely a desert sipper. Sweet chocolate dominates at first, fading to bittersweet dark chocalate. Almost too chocolaty IMHO - wish I could sense the stout backbones a bit more. But, definitely can sense the alcohol - it is fairly well hidden in the chocolate taste, but surely is notable in the warmth as you sip. Go slow at 11% and enjoy this one after a fine meal.

M - Full bodied and creamy smooth - little in the way of carbonation, but you can always get a hot chocolate/chocolate syrup sensation as you sip this.

D - Considering the ABV, quite good, although it is almost too sweet by itself. Would surely pair well with chocolate desserts or vanilla ice cream. We split 22oz four ways, and it was definitely enough for us all - your senses just get overloaded with chocolate. (1,139 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. bottle poured into a snifter

Appearance is close to jet black with some dark brown around the edges. One finger of tan head quickly dissipates to a thin but persistent collar. Smell is heavy on dark fudgy chocolate with espresso and smokey dark fruits sneaking through. A pronounced booziness is also evident.

Enters the mouth with a smooth creamy introduction. Could be a little heavier but the body is thick enough. However, the carbonation seems to be a bit much as it hits the back of my tongue. The taste is simple but well done. Almost all bitter dark chocolate with just a trace of roasted coffee and sweet dark fruits. It was good up until the finish--way too much medicinal alcohol for me to consider putting this among the best in the style. It's not necessarily hard to drink, but the booziness just seemed a little over the top and out of place.

I left about 8 oz. in my bomber and waited to review it after finishing it 24 hours later. I actually found it to be slightly better the next day when the carbonation had died down somewhat. I didn't hate it but I wasn't impressed either. I think I'll buy another bottle and give it a year in the cellar. (1,172 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -9.3%

I had heard this was an amazing beer and possibly one of the best beers ever. I liked it but don't feel that strongly about it. The chocolate flavor and smell are a little too much for me and make this beer vary limited in when and why i'd drink it. I like this brewery and appreciate all the non- conventional styles they create and applaud this one as well. YOu should try and but don't expect too much. (405 characters)

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/28/12
*From notes

-- Vintage: Late 2010/Early 2011 --

A: Dark brown to black. A solid pour yields a creamy and bubbly 1.5 finger mocha head, which lingers for some time and leaves some healthy lacing rimming the glass.

S: Straight up brownie batter. Sure, other beers come off rather similar, but no joke - blindfolded I'd swear I was in the kitchen with my face in some Duncan Hines. Complex cocoa and sugar overwhelm my nostrils.

T: Chocolate hard candy. Like many of Southern Tier's line-up, this is chock full o' residual sugar. Extremely sweet, showcasing a really candied quality. As it warms, a really fudgy quality becomes much more prevalent.

M: It feels alright, but I'd like it better with more viscosity. This screams for a motor oil consistency, something it sorely lacks.

O: Time has done this one well. I've always found this to be a bit to sweet for me, but on rare occasion I'll get into one for old time's sake. I understand why this is so popular, yet can't imagine having more then a 12oz glass or so. There are certainly flaws here, yet as a whole it's fairly well put together. (1,150 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -9.3%

On tap at Mahaffey's Pub in Baltimore -- 01.23.2010.

Poured a very dark brown, about the color of rich dark chocolate. A tiny bit of head to it, and minimal amounts of lacing as it went down. The smell was pretty one dimensional, but it was done incredibly well--lots of dark chocolate and cocoa nibs atop a little bit of roasted malt. The taste was very similar, except there was an off bitterness to it, which detracted a lot from what was in the nose. Mouthfeel was medium-full with good carbonation. A little heavy to be too drinkable, but for its style and ABV, I wouldn't complain. (588 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Poured darkest brown I've seen in a beer. A large three finger high head of rich tan.

S - Smell was the most intense I have ever had with a chocolate stout. Super intense milk chocolate covered this one. There was also a touch of coffee and bittersweet, as well as some malted milk...but mostly it smelled like an open tin of Nestle chocolate milk powder...or malted Ovaltine mix.

T - Intense. The foam tasted like the center of a malted milk ball...or perhaps eating a spoon of powdered chocolate. This was totally the most rich and creamy chocolate flavored adult beverage I have ever tasted. The only issue I had was the taste became much sweeter (almost cloying) and the alcohol became much more apparent after warming.

M - One of the smoothest, creamiest brews I have ever had. Very thick...but not as close to chewy as would be ideal.

O - This starts out amazingly good. The only problem is the 11% ABV because this goes down so easy and fast that you do catch a quick buzz if you do not watch yourself. This is a great dessert as well as sipping beer. Not an everyday drink but certainly a treat to be savored. The chocolate flavor...especially when cold....is mind blowing. As the beer warms....it does get a little more "hot" and it turns more into a true sipper. By the time I got to the end....the sweetness was almost cloying. A great start and lukewarm finish. (1,383 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -9.3%

Sweet Milk Chocolate. A very nice chocolately imperial stout, alcohol undetectable. For me, body is on the thin-side. Clown Shoes Undead Party Crasher or Left Hand's Wake Up Dead Nitro have creamier bodies with nice chocolate flavors, and edge out this yet fine beer. (267 characters)

22 oz. Bottle:

Pours a clear dark brown-ruby ale in the glass. 3 finger beige cap lasts well and laces. Moderate carbonation.

Pungent aroma of cocoa, coffee, roasty malts, light grassyness.

Rich oily mouth feel.

Big malts mingle with coffee-cocoa tastes, nutiness, vanilla, a hint of brandy....long rich finish goes more bitter and roasty.

I thought I'd gotten tired of these types of chocolate or coffee impy stouts (they're done to death) and this one has an annoying synthetic feel to it but it held my attention if for no other reason than it's seductive drinkability. (582 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a rich dark black with slight maroon highlights when held to the light. It produced a nice thick peanut-brown head which dissipated fairly quickly. The nose is all chocolate, it reminded me of a tootsie roll, very sweet smelling with some grain and malt as well.

The taste is very rich, smooth creamy chocolate sweetness with some roasty character from the malts and a slight hop bite that makes the chocolate experience seem slightly dark and bittersweet on the palate.

The mouthfeel is moderately robust with decent carbonation, it feels very smooth and creamy like a milk stout. Overall it is very drinkable, a bomber of this goes down easy. If you like chocolate, you'll probably like this beer. (708 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours jet black with a 1/2 inch tan head. Without a true snifter, my Portsmouth tulip will suffice, and this looks glorious in the glass. Aroma is straight chocolate. Not beer, not coffee, not anything but chocolate. Actually smells more like milk chocolate than dark chocolate; maybe a little bit like homemade chocolate milk.

Taste is to match - chocolatey smooth. Not at all creamy, but the decent carbonation levels keep it from being too syrupy. My primary criticism comes at the end; I guess I should expect it with 11% abv, but this finishes hot. Drinkability suffers when you add that to the 22oz bottle, but maybe that's my fault for drinking the whole thing by myself. This is a perfect dessert beer to share among 2-4 friends. No need to pair it with anything - hate to use the cliche but this really is "dessert in a bottle." (838 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

It looks like any other imperial stout. Dark, thick body, small tan head.

Very good initial chocolate aroma, then as it warms I'm not as impressed, I think the aroma starts to decouple and weaken considerably.

At first, it tastes like pure chocolate. Then as it warms you come to the realization that this is a pretty hoppy beer....the hop bitterness builds and builds, analogous to chile peppers in Mexican food. Actually not all that sweet - it yields more of a perception of sweetness than actual sweetness. Bitter chocolate comes through again big-time on the aftertaste. Not as one-note a beer as it may seem, it's got some complexity.

Feel is not as lush as I would like it. I want some more creaminess out of this.

It is more drinkable than I thought it would be. (778 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

A- Dark Chestnut color with a 1/4in tan head.
S- Roasted malts and an overpowering dark chocolate aroma
T- Much like the smell and as advertised. Chocolate beats out malt and coffee in the taste dept. but they are evident.
M- Fuller than full, this would be great under nitrogen.
D- High but this is a dessert beer not a session beer. Very drinkable for and Imperial stout. (373 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

A: Very dark brown. Almost pitch black.

S: Smells just like chocolate. It's got elements of milk chocolate, cocoa powder, and chocolate syrup.

T: Relatively sweet on the initial taste and mid-mouth. However, there's a bit of bitterness (both coffee and cocoa powder) in the aftertaste. Very chocolatey overall, but not as "rich" as I'd imagined it would be or had heard it was. Unfortunately, it did also taste a bit artificial, particularly in the sweetness. Almost like aspartame at points.

M: Probably the biggest strength of any of the beers I've tried from the Southern Tier Blackwater series is their mouthfeel. Choklat is no exception. Very nice texture, good thickness, and no real negatives.

D: Good drinkability overall. Decent flavor, very good texture, and well-masked ABV. (793 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.8%

I got this via Beer Powerball. Thank you Shaebs99!!

I had really been looking forward to this. It sounds so delicious. Maybe I had too high of expectations, I don't know. :(

Looks and smells awesome. Dark chocolate color with a small tan head that doesn't stick around for too long. This smelled of chocolate before I even managed to get my nose near the glass. After sticking my face in the glass, all I could get was chocolate...sweet sticky chocolate. Smells like Hershey's. I was really expecting a taste sensation!

So, took a sip....chocolate and liquor. Honestly, I would best describe it as chocolate milk with some vodka tossed in. I really really wanted to like this beer, but it was tough to get through the bottle and I was sharing it. It's something to try at least once, I guess.

If only it tasted like it smelled, this would have been great. (861 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.8%

Split a bomber with a friend on May 27th, 2011 in a New Belgium tulip glass.

Pours extremely black coloring. Light will not get through this one. The thin, mocha-colored heads fades quickly into nothingness. Lacing is average for the style.

The aroma is very heavily chocolate, as advertised, with a good mix of both milk and dark chocolate varieties combined with one another. There is a slight roasted element underneath along with more complexities that can't quite be pulled out because of that dominant chocolate.

In the taste, the chocolate leans more towards the dark cocoa type, with more bitterness than sweetness. It seems to have a milk stout-esque lactose quality that supports the flavor profile. Finish lingers for a while with the bitter notes.

Semi-thick body in this one with appropriate carbonation and a smooth presentation.

I'm unsure on drinkability. It's really more oriented as a dessert beer than anything else, with the strongest chocolate element I've yet to encounter. Stone IRS achieved a level of chocolate close to this one but with better balance and much more complexity across the aroma and taste. Southern Tier has executed this beer quite well though... it tastes exactly as represented on the bottle and in the reputation. (1,268 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a snifter. Dark brown to black body with light mocha head.

Smells of fruit, chocolate and a hit of booze.

Tons of chocolate up front in the taste, some fruit, bit of espresso and that booze again the backend.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin and carbonated.

Overall, reminds me of a strong dark ale. I may have drank this one too warm for its liking because it got real boozy real quick. Will have to give it another try... (433 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Small head, brown hints in a white color. Not a lot of retention or lacing.

S: Smells like chocolate (gasp!) and some alcohol. Very sweet, with some roasted malts in the background. All about the chocolate, very sweet, making me want to dive into the chocolate bar on the label.

T: Nice sweet chocolate flavor, built on a backbone of roasted malts. Bit of alcohol thrown in. Not quite the "I just bit into a chocolate bar" taste I was looking for, but very good.

MF: Aftertaste isn't all that dry, just slightly. Not a ton of alcohol coming through, but enough to be noticed. Medium bodied, not quite as creamy as I thought it would be. Slightly carbonated.

D: A little sweet. Gets to you after a while. Not bad overall. But in the field of Imperial Stout, its up against stiff competition. (797 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured this guy into a tulip. Pours black with a finger of mocha head that settles down to thin soapy lace. The aroma is simply chocolate. Not much else to the aroma to say, it has a bit of an artificial aroma, but it's still an entrancing rich aroma. The taste is like drinking a melted Hersey bar. The flavor is slightly bitter chocolate and the artificial aroma that I detected is lost in the aroma. This is thick and full with good low carbonation. When it comes down to it this is a really enjoyable drink. I love this, but I can't drink a ton in one sitting. If there was one beer in Wonka's factory, it would certainly be this one. (638 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -10%

Bottle. Good, but not to the point where you'd smack your granny.

A - Tootsie roll wrapper black in color with minimal head.

S - Aroma is tootsie roll all the way. Really not too much else to it. Really does smell good though.

T - More tootsie roll with a little roasted malt. Fairly simple, but good. The chocolate could be a little better quality, but overall I'm not complaining. If you like tootsie rolls though, this is the beer for you.

M - Smooth and creamy on the palate, sort of the way a tootsie roll would be if it were produced in liquid form.

D - Drinkable in the same way that a tootsie roll is eatable. Gets to be a bit much after awhile, sort of like it would be if you ate a pile of tootsie rolls. (719 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a mild-sized head. Color is absolutely stark black.

Smell is very sweet, almost tootsie-roll chocolate.

First sip has the characteristics of that early sweetness blended with a somewhat bitter coca aftertaste. Mouthfeel for this is very thick, as this beer is one of the heavier ones on the market.

Another example of what Southern Tier is capable of, this is truly a beer to contend with. (400 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.3%

22oz. brown bomber, purchased at Belmont Party Supply, poured into a Stone IRS Tulip.

A: Pours a light black with no visibility. An aggressive pours gets me about 1 finger of milk chocolate head. Head holds tight for maybe a minute before nearly disappearing. Some coated lacing.

S: You'd never guess this but it smells like chocolate. Yeah. No shit. What's neat is you can get very distinct bitter German and Russian chocolates and a creamy milk chocolate. There's some other kind of sweetness in the background almost like canned cherry juice but without the fake super sugary part.. more of a natural cherry sweetness.

T/M: Exactly on par with the nose and I don't feel like typing it again, lol. Some very light coffee notes in the background. Body isn't quite as thick as I'd expected it and can be a bit sticky at times.

D: If you love chocolate bombs, then this is for you. Nearing the end of the bomber the immense chocolate character starts to near the cloying stage. I might try this again if I'm sharing it with someone. Next party I'm at I'm gonna try mixing this with some Lindemans Framboise or Kriek as I've heard great things about Young's Double Chocolate mixed like this. (1,193 characters)

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company