Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,476 | Hads: 4,789
3.79/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a small tan head fading almost immediately.

I've never smelled a beer quite like this. HUGE chocolate aroma with a lot of vanilla and a bit of licorice.

Flavor follows the nose. Tastes like I'm eating a bar of chocolate. Deep milk chocolate with a lot of vanilla with a nice roasted malt bitterness in the back of the palate balancing out the sweetness. Good for a few sips, but way too sweet overall.

Thick and creamy mouthfeel with good low carbonation.

Very unique beer and enjoyable to drink. Way too sweet though. Even splitting a bottle is too much. I wish this were in a smaller format. (614 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Split between two snifters from a 22 oz bottle

Color is black, nearly opaque. Thin tan head with minimal retention. Some lacing . Smell is chocolate fudge. It really dominates the aroma, drowning any competing smells. Taste is similar - chocolate fudge, finished with bittersweet chocolate. The bitter finish helps to balance this sweet beer. (349 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

This beer pours a thick, oily midnight black with a slight dark khaki head that laces the glass. It wreaks of sweet chocolate and alcohol. It's almost chocolate fudge like, as if you should put it over ice cream. The booze is pretty harsh. Like most of ST's beers, they didn't try to hide this. It really takes away from the appealing chocolatey aromas. The flavor has moderate roastiness to it but probably not as much as you'd expect. The chocolate comes in layers, like you're eating a layered chocolate cake. Some are insanely sweet and other sips are a little on the burnt, bitter chocolate end. I'd definitely call it a dessert beer. This beer drinks medium to heavy in body but is exceptionally smooth. There isn't much carbonation so this one goes down with ease. This is a very tasty beer but it's a little sweet for my liking. The alcohol can also be overbearing at times. The mixture of insane sweetness paired with the alcohol content make this a beer to share with another person. (993 characters)

Sampled on 2-26-08

Pours a very thick and completely opaque black, with a thin tan head that leaves behind big, clingy lacing.

Smell is all chocolate, sweet, like a chocolate milk. Not very beery at all.

Taste is huge, huge chocolate. Again, alot like chocolate milk. There are some malt qualities if you look, and just a hint of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, very thick and viscous. Reminds me of ... chocolate milk.

Drinkability suffers from the intensely sweet chocolate flavor. The alcohol is very well masked, though.

Overall, good for what it is, but completely one-dimensional. Worth a shot if you're in the mood. (641 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance: Pours a little thinner than expected. In the glass it's very black with only the slightest hints of brown at the bottom nipple of my tulip. Small brown quickly dissipating head. Little lacing.

Smell: I was expecting chocolate, and I got it, but I also got more coffee than I expected. The chocolate is dark and bitter, but still rich and robust. The alcohol is peaking through a little too much.

Taste: The coffee and the alcohol don't really show their faces. It's all about the chocolate. It's good but I actually was hoping for a bigger and richer chocolate taste. It's not a small beer, but for the ABV and the hype I guess I wanted a little more. Still great tasting. Long finish and that is where this beer shines.

Mouthfeel: No issue with the thickness, but it was I felt it was over carbonated for my taste.

Drinkability: This beer had some hype from friends, and I think I was expecting too much from it. It's a really good beer, and I'm excited about the bottle I have in the cellar. At the same time, I'm not sure I'm going to put the extra effort to get this in the future. I think I prefer Rogues Chocolate Stout. (1,144 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Was hammered at Surf Club when I tried this. Went down smooth like a thick yoohoo. Heavy on the chocolate, would make an awesome beer float. You could pour this on your ice cream. Puked everywhere about 3 hours later. Dont drink a bunch of these with Jameson. (259 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%

Call me a curmudgeon, but I like my beer to taste like beer, you know? So I cracked this one with a little trepidation since the whole point of the beer seems to be to create something that isn't beer. Something more along the lines of a fermented chocolate malternative as opposed to an honest-to-goodness beer.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I started drinking it only to find that is actually tastes like a beer with chocolate, as opposed to chocolate in beer form. Oh, to be sure, the chocolate is the dominating aspect of this beer: it smells like a piece of really rich dark chocolate, right down to the faint waxiness many chocolates use instead of cocoa butter (generally something I frown upon, but fat and beer rarely go well together with the notable exception of my beer belly and beer bellies everywhere). Likewise, the taste is initially a blast of chocolate. It reminds me of European hot chocolate, you know, the kind that is basically a melted bar of chocolate put into a cup? Yeah. That is what we are talking about here. It is only in the aftertaste that this beer starts to resemble "beer", there is a nice and unmistakable dry acidity from the chocolate malt that brings this beer back and makes me think of a fine porter. There is also a nice citrus finish from the chinook hops. I had never thought about how well chinook and chocolate would pair, but I have to say it is genius. It is a very nice way to take a well-known aspect of American beer and marry it to something a pinch more exotic and allow the drinker to experience it in a whole new way. I like that.

The carbonation is also nice. Very faint, but if you swish it around your mouth a little bit, it takes on a nice chocolate milk texture that is very fitting for the beer. If you hold it for too long a pronounced alcohol sharpness makes its presence known but that quickly fades.

Wow. I'm impressed. Certainly a "sometimes" beer, (1,924 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%

Too tempted to let it cellar for any longer.

Appearance - Pitch black pour with a finger thick,caramel mocha colored head. There is a burgundy tinge to the edge of the brew. Head dissipates quickly leaving barely any lacing.

Smell - Smelled similar to the taste. I get alot of cocoa and some dried figs.

Taste - Almost like a sweet cocoa milkshake. I get lots of cocoa at first and then some raisins, with a little chocolate like bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Very minimal carbonation and very welcoming. The alcohol is almost all hidden. Tastes more like a brew with an abv lower than 8%.

Overall - Not a bad brew, definitely hits the name as a chocolate beer. Was hoping for some more bitterness or sourness in this. Almost a desert beer. (742 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%

22oz bomber, served in a snifter.

A - deep black color with a short-lived tan head, leaving a fizzy ring and a few spots of lacing.

S - it smells like Chocolate (duh!). Aroma is all about the chocolate, and I like chocolate.

T - the sweet chocolate flavors dominate the taste for the most part. Bitter espresso coffee taste on the finish but then it leaves a sticky sweet chocolate taste.

M - full bodied brew, creamy with mild carbonation.

D - I found it pleasant as an after dinner sipper.

Final Note: if you love chocolate, you'll love this stout.
I would pour this over coffee ice cream in a minute, if I had some, but I doubt I'll be drinking it again. (664 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tasted 25 January 2014.

Pour is black, thick and viscous. One finger of light brown head, okay retention and lacing.

Smell is rich and chocolatey. Smells less artificial than ST's other big stouts, but it still has and odd sweet touch that doesn't feel right. The stout is there, but mostly hidden behind waves of milky chocolate.

Taste is good, but again with that odd off taste. I like it, but I'd like it so much more if it tasted like chocolate, instead of weird chocolate-flavored candy or something. A light bitterness in the finish adds some variety.

Feel is thick and chewy. Enough carbonation, could use a touch more. Lasting, staying thick on the inside of my mouth.

I like this better than the other stouts in the same series (Mokah, Creme Brulee). But it's got that same weird fake sense; it just has a bit less of it. Also, I want more stout, less chocolate. (876 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

22oz bomber poured into a goblet. You know that Onion article "I'm Like A Chocoholic, But For Booze"? This is pretty much the embodiment of that. Will it be two great tastes that taste great together? Let's find out!

A: Pours a bit thin. Black body with brownish tints. Not much head retention.

S: Heavy on the chocolate and malts. Smells like a Tootsie Roll.

T: Again, chocolate and maltiness. Also a pretty big alcohol kick. Like drinking a melted Tootsie Roll with a shot of vodka.

M: This was the biggest disappointment. Rather thin and insubsantial. A chocolate beer this big should hit your palate like a ton of bricks. This barely registers as a love tap.

D: Probably the best integration of chocolate and beer out there. I don't know how much I could take in one sitting, though. (792 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

A- Nice dark brown, almost black beautiful beer with a large big toe width of a tan head. The head looks like a deflating blow up bouncy castle as it settles into the dark liquid.

S- Smells like liquid chocolate syrup, or tootsie roll. The wafting alcohol is also there as well ready to pounce on your smelling senses.

T- That same chocolate syrup smell comes with the taste. Is this a stout with chocolate syrup added to it? Tastes that way. The chocolate taste seems to be a separate entity instead of a part of the beer. The roasted malt character does come through in the end but it is quickly covered by the chocolaty taste again.

M- Feels good in the mouth, like I have said before, dark roasted chocolate milk with carbination added.

D- Easy to drink, should have aged this one. Perhaps it will be better in the longer run. (836 characters)

Imperial Stout brewed w/ chocolate

2011 bottle poured into a New Belgium balloon glass. Pours in a moderately thick looking dark brown stream, quintessential Imperial Stout looks. Medium dark tan head w/ average retention and lacing.

Aroma is decadent, massive chocolate and ample malty sweetness. Reminds of a barrel aged stout, almost, in its dessert character. Southern Tier's blackwater series beers are infamous for their sweetness but to me sweetness is not enough in this one. Bitter, at times excruciatingly so, with robust dark chocolate and roast. This beer is stout first and I like that part.

They haven't gone easy on the hops for sure, but hops take a back seat in flavor that is certainly for the best. However, it's not the hops but the roast that is getting tiring slowly. Roast tiring in an Imperial Stout you say? Well, I think that the body is struggling to stand up to the astringency.

Overall, it's nearly not as bad as it is sometimes made out to be. First few sips are actually great. But this beer is riddled with its flaws:

* Overly charred with lacking body (for its taste)
* Hint of booziness
* Some off flavors that bring cardboard to mind (I don't think it's the oxidation though, this is a young bottle)

4, 4, 3.5, 3.5, 4 (1,265 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle poured into goblet. ABV 10%.

A - Poured a very dark brown to almost black with a thin short lasting chocolate milk head.

S - Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, coffee and toast. Smells inviting.

T - Dark chocolate, black coffee, very toasted bread, some sweetness, a dose of alcohol in the middle, the hops in the finish are overshadowed by the toast/chocolate bitterness. As it warms the alcohol and burnt notes become more apparent.

M - Medium carbonation, medium-high body, creamy, syrupy, sticky, bit of an alcohol burn but still tame for its ABV, finish seems a bit thin.

O - Good Stout. The strong flavour and high ABV make this one a slow sipper. (668 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance. Pours black with half a finger of khaki head that doesn't leave much lace.

Smell. Chocolate syrup, a little toasty malt and vanilla.

Taste. Sweet chocolate syrup again! Trace of grassy hops and a little booze. Some roasty coffee in there too. Really sweet.

Mouthfeel. Really sticky and a little warm. Low carbonation works well.

Overall. Too sweet for me. Tastes okay but kind of like drinking a carbonated, watered down liquor. (445 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

From a 22 oz. bottle with the older silk-screened label. Brewed to 27P with two-row, crystal 60, flaked barley, chocolate malt and Belgian bittersweet chocolate; hopped with Chinook and Willamette. Pours fairly black, with a thin tan collar that doesn't lace, but never dissipates. Chocolate dominates the aroma, but there are also notes of light roast coffee, black and blueberries, amaretto and vanilla. Kinda gives the impression of chocolate milkshake. On the palate it it smooth and very cleanly-fermented, lightly sweet, with mildly-bitter roasted malt, licorice, dark and milk chocolate, and a light herbal/piney hop flavor that contributes a rough bitterness. The body is full and almost chewy, with low carbonation and a dry finish. Not terribly complex, but it is well-made and the chocolate dovetails nicely. A good pick for aging. (842 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.3%

Perhaps I was expecting too much out of this beer as I have been doing a "Chocolate beer" tasting series, and there are others that are better. However, here's my take on it.

A- It looks sort of.. not boring but, not particularly amazing. Very dark brown, not at all transparent. Poured with a big bubbly head which diminished fairly quickly and left just a lacing on top.

S- The smell reminds me of tootsie rolls, sugar, and surprisingly cherry candy (not real cherry), and I happen to really dislike cherry candy but if you like it, you'll love the smell of this. However it has a strong aroma which is nice. NOTE: Drinking this beer while writing this, the cherry smell has given way to just chocolate/tootsie rolls as the beer sits.

T- The taste is similar to the smell but more complex, it's sweet and quite chocolaty but it's not missing the malt and hops, they just take the backseat and a molasses sweetness finishes off the sip. You can also taste the alcohol in there, but considering this has 11% alcohol, it's masked somewhat.

M- Fairly viscous and a bit oily. Somewhat syrupy but not the most sticky I've drank.

D - I'd rather have a Samuel Smiths but for something that seems to be almost overpowering it's not bad. (1,236 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured a deep dark brown with nice deep chestnut highlights, a light and thin dark brown head lingered nicely.

Wow the smell is like a freshly melted Hershey bar. Easily the most chocolaty beer I have tried.

The flavor follows suit very closely, its so thick and chocolaty it feels like it belongs on a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Eventually some like smoke and burnt black patent flavor. A bit of piney hops in the finish balance out the initial milk chocolate sweetness.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with a nice warm and oily finish.

Intense desert beer, a 22oz bottle of this is almost to much, I could finish it over a long slow session, but wouldn't drink it to often. I wish it came in a smaller format. Its good just a little to much chocolate to drink a whole bomber. (783 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

I liked the look, lace, head, body and aroma; however, while the initial taste was a subtlety sweet taste, which I enjoyed, it had a sort of less-than-satisfying aftertaste. Still a quality stout. (196 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Thick, black and syrupy. Not a tremendous amount of head, but what is there is brown in color. Tiny, thin wisps of lacing remain.

S - Straight chocolate syrup. Like unscrewing the cap of a bottle of Hershey's and taking a whiff.

T - Very, very chocolately. I was expecting at least SOME other flavor, but I really can't detect any. However, the alcohol is nicely hidden.

M - Very thick and little carbonation. "Syrupy" is a good descriptor once again.

D - The chocolate flavor is rather overpowering. It's very hard NOT to drink a bottle of this very slowly. Hearty and filling. Maybe it says something about me, but I have never been able to taste or sense a whole lot of difference between the chocolate beers. (721 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours pitch black. With an aggressive pour it releases a nice finger tall tan head. Pretty attractive actually, the head disipates fairly quickly though. Good lacing.

S - Smells of hershey's syrup with a faint roastiness.

T - Having a hard time reviewing this demanding beer so I've read through some of the previous reviews. Someone mentioned chocolate syrup mixed with vodka. That is not too far off. It's got the roasty character of a stout but you are certainly hit over the head with chocolate syrup and booze. There is a hop bitterness in the finish but it still has a cloying sweetness to it from the chocolate syrup flavor and booziness.

M - Medium bodied. I wish this was a bit fuller in body and had a creaminess to it.

D - Certainly not highly drinkable. I do think this would make a great dessert beer to split 3 or 4 ways. I'm having a time of it tackling the bomber alone. It is definitely an intense beer and worth a try. It is not for everybody but it is surely and interesting brew. (1,007 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a snifter. Color is black with no transparency. 2 finger mocja colored head leaving nice bubbly retention. Lace is thin and spotty, with a lubricated texture that is bound to slife back into the beer.

Aroma is very much chocolate. Smells of chocolate nibs with a coocoa, mocha nuttieness. Liquid chocolate extract aroma, sweet chocolate roasted grain aroma with bits of cereal. Just a touch of oats. Butterscotch carmelly aroma too with bits of creamy irish coffee wafts coming through.

The flavor up front is sweet chocolate, moderate carbonation with a slick feeling mouthfeel. Not as thick and creamy as hoped.
Buttery toffee, and a good dose of dark bitter coffee flavors.
A touch of alcahol warming at the swallow, but mellow for its 11% abv.
Finsih is sweet and somwhat bitter as the roasted chocolate grains finish things up. Crisp and clean as the grassy hops linger with the bitter chocolate grains.
Basically sweet and chocolatey, then extremely earthy and bitter, but then turning sweet and chocolaty again with a woodsy nutmeg like flavor.

Very nice, but at $8.99 its too expensive to buy another. Mouthfeel could use some serious improvements. (1,197 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

This beer pours black and opaque from a short distance, but when held in the light you can see some ruby hued edges. There is a one inch light brown head that forms on the pour and lingers with great retention leaving a nice collar of lace behind.

The nose is fine. There is a definitely dose of sweet chocolate with not much else going on.

The taste is ok. Again, there's some sweet chocolate, but there is also a light touch of bitterness. I'm actually hugely disappointed. I've been trying to track down this beer for 2 years now and I'm mostly disappointed.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with very light fine bubbled carbonation.

Drinkability is moderate to low. The ABV is high but well incorporated which makes for easier drinking. However, the flavor profile is ok but a huge disappointment which doesn't encourage me to drink more. (842 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Had on tap at the Bavarian Lodge. I'm not normally a stout drinker, but others recommended I try it anyway, and so I did.

Considering it's not my favorite style, this was an impressive beer. Even before it hit the bar, I could smell the chocolate. The color is typical of this style, of course, very dark with a thick, tannish head that stays well.

Mouthfeel is very thick and rich, and in addition to the chocolate that dominates---and I mean dominates...there is nothing subtle about it--you get some coffee as well. The alcohol content is surprising, given that it's not noticeable in the tasting. It's very well disguised.

I wouldn't want to drink a lot of these--I'm not sure you could, really--but it was an interesting experience, and I wouldn't turn down another. (774 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Tasted on tap at Track 84

A - Rich dark brownish black. Cappuccino colored head that leaves a thick wall of lace.
S - Sweet chocolate off the hook! A little vanilla and the alcohol is evident.
T - Taste follows smell. It is a bit cloying.
M/F - Thick, smooth and creamy.
D - A great desert beer. I feel a 6oz portion would be delightful - more than that a struggle. (366 characters)

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company