Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Ratings: 4,730 | Reviews: 1,504
4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Review #250. One of the stars of the LCBO's winter line-up. I was thinking of cellaring it, but what the heck, I think it fits the occasion. 650ml to Duvel tulip (a glass I should have bought years ago).

Black as oil with just about two fingers of rich and creamy tan head crowning this beast. Great head retention, especially when considering its 9.5% ABV.

Wow. Just decadent; the summation of this beer in one word. Creamy, rich, and gooey milk chocolate reminiscent of a chocolate sundae with luscious hints of vanilla and a beautifully rendered roasted character. I actually dipped my nose into the beer, by accident of course, while smelling it. I'll take that as a sign that this can't get any better. Inviting? I don't that question deserves a response.

Succulent and rich milk chocolate coat the mouth with a slightly dry roasted malt character right behind it, both of which compliment and bounce off eachother perfectly. Smooth notes of vanilla and sugar cane are placed in the background, asserting themselves towards the back of the palate, but like the other characteristics of the beer, they blend beautifully and reinforce the otherworldly goodness of this beer.

If I could give higher than a 5 in the feel, I would. The balance is dead on. I can't emphasize that enough. This stout could have easily been cloyingly sweet with such a great emphasis on chocolate, and milk chocolate at that, but its roasted character works beautifully with the chocolate, keeping the sweetness in check while complimenting it at the same time. 9.5% ABV, really? It's masked to the point of it being undetectable. One of only a handful of stouts that I would consider sessioning, although I don't know how far I would get with these 650ml bottles. Dangerously, dangerously, dangerously easy to drink.

I will start off by saying that out of the 250 beers I have reviewed to date, this is the highest score I have ever given out. This is the third beer from their Black Water series I've had, with the other two being their Creme Brulee Stout and their Pumking. Both nailed the appearance and nose, but this is the only one of the three where the taste remains just as good as the smell. I've reviewed 250 beers now, but have had at least 100 more, and I can say with confidence that this would sit comfortably in my top 3. A beer that simply can't be passed up.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into a imperial pint glass (alas, I have no snifter). I would prefer more head, but I may not have poured it as well as I wanted to. About one finger of tan foam on a BLACK beer, dissipating quickly.

On the nose, melted chocolate ice cream.

The mouthfeel is wonderful... very velvety and smooth... I would LOVE to have this on nitro-draft (or even can/bottle).

Hits the back of your throat a bit, but then reminds me of a rootbeer float with chocolate ice cream.

The only thing about this beer is that it really should be drunk at the proper temperature.... mine was too cold starting out, but it definitely got better as it got warmer.

C. No Clarity here again
H. Black
N. Chocolate almost like a Swiss Mix Hot Chocolate

Godiva better watch out! This beer is going to corner the market with anything to do with chocolate. Southern Tier struck it perfect here, SUPER STRONG chocolate flavor here. This beer is not only sexy, but it is like sex in a bottle. I want more, but sadly I don't have more..WHYYY! Well I want to get another bottle to cellar and save till next year. This was an amazing beer and once again I am not a huge fan of stouts...well I'm in love. This was what I was looking for when I first had Youngs Chocolate Stout back in the day. Chocolate and Beer, YUM!

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

This a deceptively drinkable Imperial Stout, one that masks its 11% ABV with the powerfully rich aroma/taste of chocolate.

I've had other Imperial Stouts that have tried this approach and failed miserably.

Not so with Choklat.

A deep black color, typical of the style, hides its real value.
Drinking this was almost secondary to just enjoying the smell of it. Mouthfeel held its own with aroma, delivering deep cocoa and chocolate textures instantly.

I cannot recommend this one enough.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Profoundly dark. Soot black with an obsidian glistening. Topped by a short-lived light khaki-sand head of foam. Sticky, dense sheets of lacing remain on the glass. Fabulous chocolate Twizzler aroma: big, round, soft cocoa with a luscious milky background, like a snifter full of devil's food cake batter. Assertive and chewy cocoa flavors up front, followed by a muscular black-roasted bitter char bite. The finish smooths out into a slightly earthy hop whimper with a lingering pine-needle acridity. Here, at the end, a bit of alcohol heat shows itself, but only as a reminder. A bit of rugged Chinook flavor emerges in the aftertaste, along with the doughy, sweet chocolate flavor that predominates throughout this beer. Thick, ponderous mouthfeel throughout, but never syrupy or overly heavy. Very dry at the finish, all things considered. An amazing creation -- sort of like Young's Double Chocolate Stout with gigantic balls and a snarlingly bitter attitude. I'll buy up all I can to get me through the winter.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Southern Tier has done it again, but even better. The black water series is a completely amazing line-up. This stout pours black with a very minimal brown head. The smell is simply amazing I don't want to take my nose away. Tootsie rolls, tootsie rolls, tootsie rolls. What else can I say. Taste is amazing as well, sweet chocotate bomb, as it warms, you can taste a nice earthy chicory bitterness at the front of your tongue, and a pleasant mild hop twitch at the back ofyour tongue. The mouthfeel is great as well, little carbonation with a nice thickness. Drinkability is amazing if you count how easy this is to drink, and disregard the fact that it's an 11 abv. Southern tier has mastered the stouts. Great job ST!!! A MUST HAVE!!!!

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Single bottle from Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati.

A: Completely opaque black with one finger head that is a creamy brown. Few bubbles visible, but no light gets through either, so I wouldn't be able to see them anyway.

S: Like fancy dark chocolate, with a hint of alcohol.

T: This does imperial right. The taste begins with an immediate dark chocolate. Not hot chocolate, but rich, 80%-cacao-chocolate-bar chocolate. Amazing. Then, fades into the coffee and slight bitterness of the alcohol. The high alcohol complements rather than distracts from the taste. Well done.

M: Bitter like dark chocolate, and while the alcohol taste is notable, the burn is not, which I appreciate in a chocolate beer.

O: Unbelievable. I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford the $9 a bottle again, but I'm glad I got to experience this treat.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

22 ounce bomber. Snifter glass.

A - No complaints here. Split a bomber with my buddy before and now pouring it into a snifter. Pitch black. A nice finger thick head that's egg shell color. Very nice.

S - Smells like chocolate. It is what it adverstises. On the nose it comes straightforward as old school Hershey Syrup, but also hassome dark chocolate smell. Really sweet, and completely head on chocolate on the nose.

T - What more to say. Comes through with some initial sweetness. Continues with a TON of chocoalate flavor, leads to a tiny burnt character but follows through with chocolate flavor to the finish.

M - Nice and smooth. Medium to full body lends itself to a TON of chocolate flavor.

D - Simply indescribable. I could see this beer getting someone in trouble (IE too Drunk) as it tastes so smooth and chocolatey and the alcohol is well hidden. As it is, a great chocolate sipper, either after dinner or just because. Great beer from Southern Tier.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

I tried this beer at home served from the bottle into a sampling glass.

A- a dark "chocolate" brown with a little head and little lacing.

S- It smelt like a chocolate chip cookie with some very mild vanilla and dark chocolate.

T- The beer was bitter on the front and smooth chocolate on the back. It was like drinking a chocolate milk shake.

M- This beer was thick with a slight tingle; smooth like eating a Godiva chocolate.

O- this beer seemed more like a drinking a chocolate shake then drinking a imperial stout. Does not discount from the beer, this was very unique and I would buy this again.

Oh. My. God...

Southern Tier is on a whole different level than most mirco's.

Whatever you do this holiday season, get your hands on a Southern Tier Choklat. Trust me--you'll thank yourself for it.

ST's "Blackwater" series is unbelievable right now. First the Jah-va, then the Oat, and now Choklat. I love the first two, but I must say this one takes the cake. That seems to be a fitting description seeming as this 11% stout tastes like a warm chocolate cake freshly baked just for you.

Rather than break down the A/S/T/M/D, let me just hit you with a scenario....

It's Christmas Eve, you just got home from all the family get-togethers and midnight sermon BS you can handle for one day. Reach into your fridge and pull out a bomber of ST's Choklat... Christmas has officially begun! As soon as you crack the bottle you smell that wholesome milk chocolate backed by a warm sensation of alcohol.

Pour your beer in a nice draft glass or whatever hardware you got and go curl up next to the fireplace with your woman... You're in heaven my friend.

Southern Tier has gone beyond what the market expects of any brewery with this one. Take time this weekend to relax and enjoy an excellent beverage to yourself. Christmas only comes once a year...

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Poured a deep, deep brown near black with a large foamy brown head.

S; Nose is roasted malts, chocolate, deep bitter chocolate.

T: Taste is roasted malts, booze and darker chocolate versus the Rogue Choc Stout which is more of a milk chocolate flavor, to me anyways.
M:Mouthfeel is nice, creamy, boozy and chocolatey. Exceelent stout and lived up to the hype!
D: Oh yeah

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Picked up a bomber a few days ago from my local beer distributor...

A - Devoid of light. Jet black pour with a little less head than I expected.

S - One of the best smelling beers I've had to date. Chocolate lovers will revel in the rich, overwhelming scent.

T - Have you ever had a beer that had chocolate or some sort of fruit in its name, and it disappointingly tastes nothing like it? Meet its antithesis. This beer tastes like a world-class chocolate bar, straight up.

M - Very thick and syrupy. It lets you know that you are enjoying a powerful brew.

O - I'm typically picky about my beers, but seldom does Southern Tier let me down. This is a top-notch beer, and you'd be hard pressed to find a stout of equal quality. Seek this out, if only for its uniqueness, and never turn it down.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

I entered the small but excellent Piccadilly at The Crossing tonight, looking for something I had yet to try. "Southern Tier Chokolat has come in..." the manager uttered. Tag it and bag it, please, I exclaimed. Jeez, the serendipitous timing tonight. This was a master stroke of luck.

Two fat fingers of mocha froth top a black body with dark ruby trim. Very good duration and lots of lacing on the trusty Duvel tulip. The smell is so chocolaty, it's incredible. It's literally thoroughly chocolate. On the one hand, one might wonder where the beer is. On the other hand, if a beer calls itself Chokolat and, in the smell, thoroughly is chocolate, can I penalize it for that? Hardly. There are some caramel malt as well as some berry peeking through, but this is undoubtedly milk, dark, and semi-sweet chocolate.

The taste confirms this, but reveals greater complexity--caramel, roasted hazelnut coffee, and some grit from the advertised chinook and willamette emerging in the second half. Sweet, nutty, a tad bitter, and smooth. Honestly, this is brilliant beer, simply brilliant. The mouthfeel is ideal--smooth, creamy, and chocolaty sweet with an unmistakable bitter hop bite in the finish. Although the ABV remains mostly hidden throughout this delight, it unquestionably emerges in the second half.

ST continues to go above and beyond what earthly expectations I harbor for their wares. Chokolat is just amazing, the liquid embodiment of chocolate/DIS beer that exists. I have never tasted a beer this chocolaty, and may never again.

Incredible.

4.96/5  rDev +16.4%

I love this beer. I have to return to Horse Brass to have it again.

4.96/5  rDev +16.4%

A-inky black in a pub glass...can't remember the head or lacing...doesn't really matter....this beer tastes and smells awesome.
S-CHOCOLATE is the first thing I noticed...very prominant
T-CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE, and MORE CHOCOLATE
M-full bodied....great mouthfeel
O--WOW! what a beer! Recently this has been a "go-to" stout for me.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Wow. It pours pitch black, dark and very opaque. Only tiny little bubbles are visible near the sides of the glass. A tan foamy head is formed by these tiny bubbles. The head slowly recedes as I drink, leaving nice lace patterns on the glass. The aroma catches the nose as it is poured. It is strong and full of dark and milk chocolate. The flavor is a bitter sweet chocolate with complementary chocolate and caramel malts. The hops add there own bitter complexity and play off the dark chocolate wonderfully. The palate is medium to full bodied, slick on the tongue and a little bit oily. This is an outstanding and decadent imperial stout that has a well hidden 11% abv that can sneak up on you.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Southern Tier has done it again.

Choklat, in a 22oz bottle, pours a deep dark brownish black with wispy thin areas of foam. From its surface comes the smell of chocolate - think Hershey regular and dark chocolate melded together. I was blown away.

And then the taste. Chocolate, with some hints of roasted grains behind it. But this isn't just chocolate in a light, subtle sort of way. This is thick, delicious chocolate that you could sit and enjoy for hours and hours. The mouthfeel is thick, sticky, and viscous, with little carbonation. A slight hint of warmth from the alcohol is present, but barely noticeable.

This is the finest chocolate stout I've ever had. Rogue had been up until now, but this one is basically a doubled-up version of the Rogue and then some more. Southern Tier has done it again - blowing away any expectations I may have had and impressing me more and more. Well done.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a pitch black color with a nice small brown head.

Aroma is full of cocoa, reminiscent of a hersheys bar. Creamy and roasty.

Taste is sweet, creamy and chock full of cocoa goodness. Smooth. Not too roasty.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering creaminess chocolate and light roasted coffee.

Magnificent. Would make an excellent dessert beer. Chocolate flavor and aroma may turn off purists to the style. However, its very drinkable.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

A-Poured pitch black with about a fingers worth of an almost yellowish head that quickly dissipated

S-Milk Chocolate a whole lot of it

T- It starts out with milk chocolate in the beginning and slowly transitions to a dark chocolate finish this beer does a really good job at hiding the alcohol

M- Mouth feel was a little thinner than I was expecting

O- This is one kick ass dessert beer 'nuff said

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

This was a great beer - I'm a huge fan of chocolate stouts and of Southern Tier, and had been saving this bomber for a couple months. It didn't disappoint. While Southern Tier sometimes over-flavors their beers (i.e. Creme Brulee, Cherry Saison) I think this one was right on the spot.

The aroma was terrific, the taste, the body... near perfect. I didn't give it a "5" for mouthfeel since I think it could have been a bit fuller.

If you like this, I'd also suggest Founder's Breakfast Stout, Stone's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, and Young's Double Chocolate Stout.... all some of my favorite beers.

I'll certainly buy this Southern Tier beer again, and might put it on tap next fall/winter.

Cheers

4.94/5  rDev +16%

Poured very dark, almost black in color with a thin amount of coffee colored head.

The scent is of overwhelming chocolate, roasted chocolate malt, and a slight alcohol presence.

The taste is also dominant of milk chocolate, roasted chocolate malt, some notes of maple syrup and licorice. The high abv is almost nonexistant in the taste.

Full body, smooth and creamy, low carbonation.

This was an excellent beer, though the chocolate was so dominant the other flavors were able to be tasted. Also the high abv is hidden very well with the strong chocolate flavor.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

A- at first, the dark, tan cappuccino colored head is hesitant to form but as the snifter fills up, foam cascades to the surface of this this viscous brew. Sadly, it hastily diminishes to a thin soapy ring. Lace is spotty and minimal. The body is so think and black that it looks like a bowl of melted dark chocolate.

S- insane and powerful dark chocolate aroma. Cocoa, chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup, everything chcocolate. And quality chocolate at that. There's a black roasted coffee smokiness nestled in the background. Hops are hidden, or slightly earthy at most. This one solely focuses on the chcocolate. Awesome.

T- this is just freakin bonkers. Up front it's chocolate ice cream. 80% cacao. Hot fudge sundae. Devils food cake. However it can be described as a wholly holy chocolate elixir would be appropriate. The flavor transition is easily broken down into 3 parts. First is just a mouthful of melted chocolate and nothing else. Just high quality chocolate. Abruptly, it shifts gears to huge roasted malt character with espresso and bittersweet cocoa, damp wood, stone, soil, mild smoke, and peppery spice. As the malt fades, hops move in and mesh with the roasted bitterness to form an herbal, rustic, earthy and lasting bittersweet finish.

MF- smoothly grainy particle chocolate feel. Like its big and rich and smooth and creamy but it's not totally liquid. You can feel the molecules and shit. Coating coffee cocoa feel on the cheeks. Some hop oil feel too. Carbonation? Who even cares about that now?? It's understated and modest, quiet and only preset as a tiny little tickle. Exactly as it should be.

D- completely imperceptible alcohol makes this one a real monster. I mean, I'm throwin this bottle down like a seventeen year old girl on her first mudslide. As a matter of fact, I think the chocolate hides the booze in the same way ice cream masks the vodka in that mudslide. Now I'm back on the mothership. Such concentrated flavor in this beer you would have to eat it with... Idk probly just strawberries, cream and vanilla. This one without a doubt rewrites the book on imperial chocolate stout.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

Served into a Bruery tulip glass at the recommended 40 degrees.

Pours a jet black with a creamy brown froth with big bubbles that dissipates somewhat quickly. Pronounces aromas of chocolate truffles, mocha espresso, light vanilla, VERY subtle citrus hops, molasses, did I mention Milk Chocolate yet? Simple, but spectacular! Flavor? WOW! Absolutely amazing! Tastes like a Milk Chocolate shake (Milk Chocolate, Cocoa powder, Vanilla) with roasted espresso! There is a definite weight to the mouthfeel, but this beer is extremely smooth. Slightly sweet with a balanced/subtle hop bitterness that runs from beginning to end. The alcohol is well hidden on this beer....this is the best chocolate stout that I have ever had. Besides having a better look to the head, I couldn't imagine how this beer could get any better!

4.94/5  rDev +16%

Pours very dark brown, almost black) with orange/amber highlights. First pour had a very short lived small brown cocoa head on it. Second pour stayed around a few seconds longer.

Smells of very strong bittersweet dark chocolate with some molasses, figs and raisins. Some deep roasted notes with a few hints of alcohol.

The flavor, much like the aroma, tasted like very intense bittersweet dark chocolate, figs, raisins, as well as, some roasted coffee beans and hint of licorice. A really creamy mocha flavor. The alcohol is hardly present at all and not much bitterness.

Thick, full bodied and creamy with a little grittiness. A tingly warming sensation. Sticky mouth coating.

A really amazing beer. It should be a sipper, but the lack of alcohol flavor makes this a dangerous beer. Fantastic flavor, rich and robust and great aroma make this one the best Imperial stouts I've had.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

If you dont like chocolate beers or even chocolate in general please do not review this beer...
When a beer's name is Choklate I expect it to be a chocolate dominated beer and my god does this not dissapoint. Pours a solid opaque with an average tan/brown head. This beer is very forward on the chocolate. Smells and tastes like a tootsie roll but with a subtle roasted, dark, chocolate finish and a whiff of the bittering hops. (chinook and willamette). Creamy body, 11 percent alcohol is non existent unless you stand up. This beer was a delight to drink from start to finish...is it a session beer? Not even close. Along with dark lord this beer has its small place in the beer drinking world set. Have with a dessert or as a dessert by itself or better yet with a cabernet or hearty shiraz. Just joking on that last one. All in all not for the faint at heart this beer is a hearty imperial stout with a chocolate level that as far as i know has been unreached. Think a double rogue chocolate stout. Grab 2 if u can get it and thats 3 for 3 for southern tiers black water stouts. Well done.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company