Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,494 | Hads: 4,886
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Jet black pour into snifter.

Smell is amazing. Overpowering chocolate. Smells like a factory.

Intense chocolate taste. Almost one dimensional, but that is not a bad thing. It does one thing incredibly well.

I wish it has a bit more cream to the feel, but silky smooth.

One of the best chocolate stouts I have ever had. Amazingly drinkable. If the bottle didn't say it I would never know it was 10%

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This beer is simply delicious. There is no mistaking the chocolate taste. This one in particular was born in October 2015, so I'd say it is quite fresh. I'm a fan of the Blackwater series and this one may be my favorite.

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

look: a black hole waiting to consume your very existence
mouth feel:: it feels like the smoothest chocolate silk brushing against your tongue
Taste: like liquid chocolate
overall: its good if you like chocolate!

4.57/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome. Absolutely awesome. Smells almost identical to Cocoa Puffs the cereal... That's how good it is. Drinks incredibly easy for a 10%alc beer. And it comes in 4 packs this year so that's also a plus. This literally was the first time I've gotten this beer and will b getting it again. A good way to put it is like such: it is a treat and fun to drink. Your gonna feel this one after a 12oz bottle I guarantee it! If u like stouts, chocolate, or Samuel Smith's chocolate stout, you'll love this. Cheers my friends.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One dimensional? Yes but let it be known this is the king of chocolate stouts. Southern Tier knows big stouts and this is a gem in their lineup. Minimal head lacing non existent the smell is chocolate lovers bliss and the taste definitely follows. The alcohol is so well hidden when it's cold you'll be checking the bottle again. The finish and aftertaste is chocolate punch in the taste buds.. You like chocolate and sweet stouts? You better buy it if you see it because it won't be there long...

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've been waiting for this beer to arrive since I seen it's existence. Priced a little high, but I was excited to give it a try. Can't say I was greatly impressed, but it was definitely a good beer. I've had better beers at a slightly cheaper price, but I'm not mad about the price I paid for the quality of the product. I had yet to have a disappointing beer from Southern Tier. Give it a try.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

A: [4.50] The beer looks jet black in the glass. It pours out with 1/2 finger of dense mocha head. The head dissipates pretty quickly. The bottle lists the ABV (10.0%). The bottle has a born on date of 10/15/15.

S: [3.75] Semi-sweet chocolate. I get nothing else which is okay but interesting. Typically there will be some coffee/vanilla/roasted malts etc. This is just straight chocolate.

T: [4.00] Doesn't exactly follow the nose. I am getting more roasted malts. There is chocolate but it comes across more as malted chocolate (like Whoppers candy). I think I am getting malted chocolate because there is limited sweetness to the beer.

M: [4.00] A little bit dry. But the beer is thick and coating feeling. The finish is pretty short. There is NO sense of the 10% ABV.

O: [4.00] At exactly 1/2 the ABV I would rather drink Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout. This has a muddied chocolate taste that doesn't come across that well in the taste. The beer is enjoyable I just feel they could ramp up the chocolate flavor.

3.94/5  rDev -7.7%

First had poured from growler into nonic pint and faceted mug. Billed by Southern Tier as the ultimate chocolate beverage since the Mayan Empire, my daughter says Choklat is not "chocolatey" enough. Too chocolate for my preference, making this a (still excellent) specialty beer.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

pours jet black with a solid cream colored head.

smells like chocolate. chocolate milk with some hops to it. not a bad combination. obviously their is a sweetness to the aroma as well.

taste is fantastic! exactly like chocolate milk! too damn smooth for 10%

this goes down real easy, too smooth for 10%. i may be in trouble!

overall this beer is really good. 10% and it tastes just like chocolate milk.
unrelated to the rating is the price. around here it's $8.99 per bomber or $18.99-$19.99 per 6 pack. that is pricey! great beer but probably won't buy much more of this this season.

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into snifter glass. The color is nearly jet black with a thick, creamy mocha colored head and lacing. It's a really attractive pour. It smells like a black and white milkshake with cocoa and vanilla. If I didn't want to drink it, I could just inhale it! I've never tasted a stout this chocolaty. Tons of rich cocoa, sweet caramel, and roasted malts. There is a slight bitterness at the finish; more burnt coffee than hops. This is a medium-bodied stout, lightly carbonated, with a noticeable amount of booze at 10% ABV. Overall, this is the quintessential dessert beer. It would probably be good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it. I can't imagine there's a better chocolate stout out there.

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look - Pitch black, half finger tan head that quickly dissipated
Smell - CHOCOLATE for days! Very fudgy, roasted malts
Taste - Dark chocolate, sweet chocolate, fudge, roasted malts, hints of smokiness, hints of booze
Feel - Medium/medium plus mouthfeel (wish it was chewier). Lingering bitterness

Overall - A tasty dessert beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big 10%-er and definitely qualifies as a dessert beer without over the top sweetness. Not much head atop its black bod. Smells ridiculously chocolatey (duh) and doesn't let you down in the flavor. Always makes me think of Hershey's syrup, or at least my memory of it. #1 chocolate beer in my book for years.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at a local establishment. Strongest chocolate smell of any beer I've had....this would be a good beer for a float! Good taste, very thick feel. Will seek out again!

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle.

Pour is cola brown with significant light penetration and a fizzy head.

Smell and taste is sweet chocolate first and foremost. Nice background of light, roasty malts and a slightly bitter finish, seemingly from some hops. Very tasty overall. The flavor of the chocolate in this one is very reminiscent of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Good stuff!

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into a glass.

Completely black pour. Small head that disappeared quickly.
A blast of chocolate in the nose.
Loads of chocolate and cocoa upfront in the taste. A little bit of roasted malt.
Very full-bodied with strong carbonation.

I had a great time drinking this beer. I finished a bomber, and wanted more. Would certainly recommend.

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Smells amazing, but it's a little watering on the taste. I partially blame that on other high ABV stouts, but to me this beer didn't fulfill its chocolate taste as much when drinking it as it did when smelling it. I will give it another shot the next time I see it around.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another fine brew from Southern Tier. Pours black w nice foamy head. Tastes just like it should, strong chocolate flavor throughout. Had a bomber last night and enjoyed every sip. Will pick up again for sure.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black with no head.
Aroma is pure chocolate. It smells like brownie or cake batter. Not much else on the aroma.
Taste starts chocolatey sweet but turns mildly roasted mid palate. Finishes with a pleasant mild bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium to full with almost no carbonation.
Great beer will buy again.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

This review is for a 4 year old bottle, which became nothing but delicious Hershey's syrup! Still super viscous, sweet, and well carbonated. I enjoyed this.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, no date, 10% ABV. Pours mostly opaque black with a smaller-sized tan head. Smells of cocoa ('choklat'), vanilla, roasted malts, and some caramel. Taste follows with a noticeable malty/bitter presence on the front then cocoa/vanilla on the back. Medium body and low-medium carbonation. Overall, this isn't your average chocolate stout; it's got plenty of malts and bitterness. I liked this more than Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout.

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bomber for my dad on Father's Day. The two of us just enjoyed splitting it. Poured into pint glasses at cellar temperature.

L: Pours a coffee black with about a half-inch of khaki head that sticks around for a little bit and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S: Rich cocoa notes in the nose. This one smells a lot like chocolate milk. Beneath all of that chocolate, you get some of the roasted malts coming through. I'm a bit surprised that I can't detect any clear alcohol in the bouquet.

T: Wow. This one is a chocolate bomb. Huge, rich chocolate flavor right out of the gates, with just a bit of the roasted malts shining through. The taste is more of a sweet than a dark chocolate. There' s a bit of vanilla in there, and a touch of molasses starts to surface by the middle. The back end is big dark chocolate, with a slight suggestion of coffee, some of the roasted malts, and almost nothing in the way of clear alcohol--quite impressive given this one's ABV. The lingering aftertaste is dark chocolate all the way.

F: Full-bodied, this one is definitely a sipper. It has some nice creaminess afforded by an excellent level of carbonation. It's got great fullness without feeling overtly syrupy. It does have some stick, and that bitter dark chocolate hangs on for a while at the end.

O: I'm very happy I picked this one up, and now I'll have to go back in and get a couple more for cellaring. I highly recommend as a dessert beer or for any occasion you might want to take your time over a bottle with friends.

I had the 2011 on tap. This is a great beer with the chocolate overtones. The 2011 is a little bit smoother than the 2013, but still both good beers none the less. Very tasty.

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A bit on the bitter side almost like a raw cocoa. Mokah I think does a slightly better job mixing the chocolate and bitterness. But still an excellent stout

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Poured aggressively from basically seventy-six feet above the glass down the center to get a head -- I wound up with one about half a finger in size, creamy in texture, and with a pale brown color. To my surprise, Choklat isn't pitch black: it's very dark, but a clear ruby black color when held to light. Lacing is patchy, but decent. (4/5)

Smell: I doubt many people have had it, but Choklat smells a lot like Chocolate Manifesto by Flying Monkeys. An incredibly rich, sharp sweetness from the chocolate makes this smell almost identical to Hershey's syrup -- take that as you will. It's a very, very sweet aroma that smells like a chocolate syrup and nothing else, at least at fridge temperature. (4.5/5)

Taste/feel: Luxurious. Again, my comparison is to the not-too-well-known Chocolate Manifesto -- quite similar, but Choklat is better for one simple fact: it has an unexpected depth of flavor. Obviously there's massive chocolate, but there's a roastiness on the front with the subtlest black licorice sort of vibe, the finish is predominantly chocolate, but the roast and a super slight accent of black licorice is there as well. Choklat starts with a creamy mouthfeel, but then there's a prickly carbonation that seems to highlight a little bit of bitterness, because the finish on Choklat is super unexpectedly... bitter? Not very bitter, but moderately, I'd say. (4.5/5, 4.5/5)

I don't know if Southern Tier has tinkered with the recipe at all, but I don't think this is ridiculously sweet beer -- just a phenomenal chocolate stout with fantastic balance. Chocolate Manifesto, when I had it, had the body of chocolate milk, the smell of chocolate milk, and the taste of chocolate milk or ice cream. Super delicious stuff, but cloying at a certain point. I'd prefer Chocolate Manifesto if I were drinking less of the beer (hence me giving it the higher rating), but with Choklat, I see myself having no issues going through a decent amount of this. Well worth a purchase, especially at the price of $9 a bomber.

(4.5/5) (+4.9% rDev)

3.89/5  rDev -8.9%

Sweet Milk Chocolate. A very nice chocolately imperial stout, alcohol undetectable. For me, body is on the thin-side. Clown Shoes Undead Party Crasher or Left Hand's Wake Up Dead Nitro have creamier bodies with nice chocolate flavors, and edge out this yet fine beer.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company