Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)

HopChild30, Feb 26, 2013

jaybags, Jun 11, 2012

Lobstertainment, Apr 21, 2013
1.45/5  rDev -65.9%

A_Pours dark brown. No head. No lace.

S_Smells like artificial milk chocolate. Sweet malted milk.

T_God awful. Taste like Hershey syrup and whoppers. Hardly a beer. More like a chocolate liqueur. Way too sweet to even be tolerable.

M_Moutheel was actually ok except that it felt like sugar was coating teeth. Other than that it was thick and full bodied.

D_Ask my sink.

Dont understand the high ratings on some of these ST beers. Seriously . . . this shit sucks.

nickadams2, Sep 04, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -64.7%

Pours black with a small bright brown head.

The smell is of the clear chocolate syrup used in cheap desserts.

The taste is terrible, the flavor of fake chocolate is overpowering.

The mouthfeel is pleasant. Smooth with a soft head.

Overall I think this beer is awful. I was extremely excited to try it but very disappointed. It's sister beer, creme brûlée, is equally awful... I love stout and southern tier but these were bad...

Lare453, Jul 31, 2012
1.55/5  rDev -63.5%

I was really excited when I stumbled across this beer at my local store and read the great reviews on BA about it. I picked up a 22 oz bomber and chilled it to enjoy tonight. Within a few seconds of opening this bottle, the smell of sweet milk chocolate and alcohol filled the air. It poured deep dark brown with a thick tan head that dissipated within 2-3 minutes. The first sip was decent, big milk chocolate flavor and little alcohol presence, but I'm not a milk chocolate fan and I knew it was going to be too sweet for my liking. As the beer got warmer it became horrible. The taste and smell of alcohol became overwhelming and the chocolate flavor became super strong. I would liken the flavor of this beer to someone melting a Hershey bar in a glass of rubbing alcohol. Back to my Founders breakfast stout now...

StoutAsian, Dec 20, 2013
1.65/5  rDev -61.2%

i do not have a sweet tooth.

i did not like this... it was so overly sweet, and felt like it left a coating of sugar on your teeth, it was a struggle for me to drink. it was basically like hershey's syrup diluted a little bit and called beer. yes, there was a huge chocolate presence (and nothing else), but it was an artificial type of chocolate, not at all a quality one. never again.

I hope the drain liked it more then i did, if it didn't then Mr Drain i am sorry.

ChadQuest, Aug 31, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -55.3%

Black in color with a very light brown head. Cake batter, banana and chocolate sauce aroma, very expressive, but not complex. Flavor is an assault of chocolate covered banana and even more chocolate. So, so one dimensional. Mouthfeel is fairly thin and could be more coating and have more weight. I thought I was drinking a beer, I guess not. I'm really glad I tried this before collecting some. It sucks, it really does.

Crosling, Jun 09, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -53.4%

Pours black with virtually no head. Just a small ring of brown on the rim. Very heavy Hershey like chocolate. Almost too much...actually it is too much. Sorry, this doesn't smell like beer, but some drink that should be in a martini glass. Flavor is hersheys with some alcohol burn. Has a slightly bitter finish. How did they get a flavor like this? Almost like the base was liquid chocolate and a few hops were added. Seems fake and artificial. Medium palate and oily. Not very good in my opinion. Way too much chocolate milk for me.

miketd, Dec 26, 2008

Wow, I do not understand this beer's 'A' rating at all.

Appearance: Opaque black, as you might suspect, with a minimal head that disappears almost entirely after a minute or so.

Smell: Powdered malt-drink (Ovaltine), generic chocolate, over-ripe bananas and some smoke.

Taste: Cheap milk chocolate and that's about it; not nearly as rich as I'd hoped and extremely one-dimensional. It's also nothing near as sweet as the various iterations of Bourbon County Stout.

Mouthfeel: Very thin for an 11% stout. After the initial taste of chocolate passes it's like swallowing water.

Probably the most underwhelming beer I've had in the last 12 months. What an absolute fucking disappointment. I bought a bottle of Oat at the same time so hopefully that's a little better, though I'm not optimistic.
Bah.

Jpepe08, Jan 22, 2014

Mark5252, Jan 08, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -51.8%

22oz bomber poured into a mug

A - dark black with 0.5cm of head, if that.

S - Hershey's syrup and cocoa. not much else going on here

T - hershey's syrup tastes with two other weak chocolate-like taste, but it mostly tasted like watery chocolate syrup. alcohol was not noticeable, nor were any hops.

M - very watery, too thin to be an IS

D - not good.

bowersdm, Jan 18, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -51.8%

Poured and shared with friend from a big bottle.

Appearance - very mediocre imperial stout. Nice super chocolate color but a very small head with little retention. Not up to par with other imperials in the look catagory.

Smell - putrid. Its not chocolatey at all. I can't even describe it, but every time I smell it its not pleasant.

Taste - incredibly chocolaty and more like bitter dark chocolate (which I like dark chocolate). Booze is well disguised but the flavor really doesn't work for me. Its more like chocolate flavored liquor than beer. I couldn't identify and hop presence to balance, no malty flavors or anything to complement of balance the bittersweet chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel - full bodied I suppose

Overall - Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this beer just didn't seem well made at all to me. The fact that the rest of BA considers it world class, makes me feel I got a bad batch perhaps. Both my friend and I had to drainpour..it just wasn't pleasant. I've had several Southern Tier beers now, and most have disappointed. I'm not sure I'll continue to sample from their line.

bubseymour, Feb 21, 2012
2.23/5  rDev -47.5%

served on-tap @ Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO, into a tulip

Pours an inky, super-dark black color. You can see your reflection quite clearly in the glass thanks to the opacity. Very satisfying. Nearly two fingers of mocha head sit on top, but dissipate fairly briskly. A wonderful looking beverage.

My words upon smelling this: "Oh, c'mon!" This is a cartoon of a beer. Utterly ridiculous. The smell is all semi-sweet chocolate chips and Hershey's chocolate syrup, and maybe a bit of chocolate flavor Dole pudding. It is very chocolaty. Bracingly, cloyingly sweet. Where's the malt? Where's the anything-that-isn't-chocolate? The beer garners props for masking its 11% ABV, I suppose. This is absolutely one-note, and while it may be an enjoyable note in a ridiculously-strong-scented-candle-from-a-novelty-items-catalog sort of way, it isn't the quality or quantity of note that makes for a good aroma score in a beer.

The taste is only minutely less absurd. Choklat tastes like chocolate ice cream and alcohol sweetness. The alcohol is well-masked in a lot of ways; there isn't any heat to speak of. But it does give some sweetness, which is appreciated as it makes for a flavor that is something besides cheap, novelty chocolate. There might even be a dusting of espresso on the finish, but I'm trying to be too generous to this beer. It sucks. This schlock is over-the-top in all the wrong ways.

Surprisingly, this beer is quite thin in the mouth. It nails all of its chocolate flavors the way it wants to, but it doesn't provide a satisfying heft to best express the chocolate bonanza. It's slick and unwieldy. I give the drinkability props for masking the booze; if you can stomach this sugar-bomb than you should have little difficulty with a bomber, let alone the glass poured on-tap.

This beer is a caricature. I can't decide whether I am more appalled at the beer itself or the numerous very high scores it has received on this site. This beer represents most all of the things that American brewing does wrong.

Reaper16, Dec 30, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -47.1%

Review from 4/17/09 notes. Pours black with creamy tan head. The only thing I smell is chocolate. Tastes, again, like bitter, super rich, chocolate. Just absolute chocolate overkill, much like creme brulee is also overkill. Tastes like ST liquified brownies and blended it in with stout. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with plenty of carbonation. Because of the unbalanced chocolate, this was a drain pour. Unfortunately, the last four Southern Tier brews I've had now - Cuvee One, Creme Brulee, Pumpking, and Choklat - have all been drain pours.

waltonc, Sep 17, 2009