2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,804 | Reviews: 1,417 | Show All Ratings:
nickadams2

1.45/5  rDev -66%

A_Pours dark brown. No head. No lace.

S_Smells like artificial milk chocolate. Sweet malted milk.

T_God awful. Taste like Hershey syrup and whoppers. Hardly a beer. More like a chocolate liqueur. Way too sweet to even be tolerable.

M_Moutheel was actually ok except that it felt like sugar was coating teeth. Other than that it was thick and full bodied.

D_Ask my sink.

Dont understand the high ratings on some of these ST beers. Seriously . . . this shit sucks.

09-04-2010 17:19:06 | More by nickadams2
Lare453

1.5/5  rDev -64.8%

Pours black with a small bright brown head.

The smell is of the clear chocolate syrup used in cheap desserts.

The taste is terrible, the flavor of fake chocolate is overpowering.

The mouthfeel is pleasant. Smooth with a soft head.

Overall I think this beer is awful. I was extremely excited to try it but very disappointed. It's sister beer, creme brûlée, is equally awful... I love stout and southern tier but these were bad...

07-31-2012 03:26:38 | More by Lare453
StoutAsian

1.55/5  rDev -63.6%

I was really excited when I stumbled across this beer at my local store and read the great reviews on BA about it. I picked up a 22 oz bomber and chilled it to enjoy tonight. Within a few seconds of opening this bottle, the smell of sweet milk chocolate and alcohol filled the air. It poured deep dark brown with a thick tan head that dissipated within 2-3 minutes. The first sip was decent, big milk chocolate flavor and little alcohol presence, but I'm not a milk chocolate fan and I knew it was going to be too sweet for my liking. As the beer got warmer it became horrible. The taste and smell of alcohol became overwhelming and the chocolate flavor became super strong. I would liken the flavor of this beer to someone melting a Hershey bar in a glass of rubbing alcohol. Back to my Founders breakfast stout now...

12-20-2013 04:21:24 | More by StoutAsian
ChadQuest

1.65/5  rDev -61.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i do not have a sweet tooth.

i did not like this... it was so overly sweet, and felt like it left a coating of sugar on your teeth, it was a struggle for me to drink. it was basically like hershey's syrup diluted a little bit and called beer. yes, there was a huge chocolate presence (and nothing else), but it was an artificial type of chocolate, not at all a quality one. never again.

I hope the drain liked it more then i did, if it didn't then Mr Drain i am sorry.

08-31-2010 06:20:40 | More by ChadQuest
Crosling

Colorado

1.9/5  rDev -55.4%

Black in color with a very light brown head. Cake batter, banana and chocolate sauce aroma, very expressive, but not complex. Flavor is an assault of chocolate covered banana and even more chocolate. So, so one dimensional. Mouthfeel is fairly thin and could be more coating and have more weight. I thought I was drinking a beer, I guess not. I'm really glad I tried this before collecting some. It sucks, it really does.

06-09-2008 00:45:58 | More by Crosling
miketd

1.98/5  rDev -53.5%

Pours black with virtually no head. Just a small ring of brown on the rim. Very heavy Hershey like chocolate. Almost too much...actually it is too much. Sorry, this doesn't smell like beer, but some drink that should be in a martini glass. Flavor is hersheys with some alcohol burn. Has a slightly bitter finish. How did they get a flavor like this? Almost like the base was liquid chocolate and a few hops were added. Seems fake and artificial. Medium palate and oily. Not very good in my opinion. Way too much chocolate milk for me.

12-26-2008 02:59:24 | More by miketd
ImperialStoat

United Kingdom (England)

Wow, I do not understand this beer's 'A' rating at all.

Appearance: Opaque black, as you might suspect, with a minimal head that disappears almost entirely after a minute or so.

Smell: Powdered malt-drink (Ovaltine), generic chocolate, over-ripe bananas and some smoke.

Taste: Cheap milk chocolate and that's about it; not nearly as rich as I'd hoped and extremely one-dimensional. It's also nothing near as sweet as the various iterations of Bourbon County Stout.

Mouthfeel: Very thin for an 11% stout. After the initial taste of chocolate passes it's like swallowing water.

Probably the most underwhelming beer I've had in the last 12 months. What an absolute fucking disappointment. I bought a bottle of Oat at the same time so hopefully that's a little better, though I'm not optimistic.
Bah.

05-28-2011 23:04:24 | More by ImperialStoat
bowersdm

2.05/5  rDev -51.9%

22oz bomber poured into a mug

A - dark black with 0.5cm of head, if that.

S - Hershey's syrup and cocoa. not much else going on here

T - hershey's syrup tastes with two other weak chocolate-like taste, but it mostly tasted like watery chocolate syrup. alcohol was not noticeable, nor were any hops.

M - very watery, too thin to be an IS

D - not good.

01-18-2009 09:29:57 | More by bowersdm
bubseymour

Maryland

2.05/5  rDev -51.9%

Poured and shared with friend from a big bottle.

Appearance - very mediocre imperial stout. Nice super chocolate color but a very small head with little retention. Not up to par with other imperials in the look catagory.

Smell - putrid. Its not chocolatey at all. I can't even describe it, but every time I smell it its not pleasant.

Taste - incredibly chocolaty and more like bitter dark chocolate (which I like dark chocolate). Booze is well disguised but the flavor really doesn't work for me. Its more like chocolate flavored liquor than beer. I couldn't identify and hop presence to balance, no malty flavors or anything to complement of balance the bittersweet chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel - full bodied I suppose

Overall - Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this beer just didn't seem well made at all to me. The fact that the rest of BA considers it world class, makes me feel I got a bad batch perhaps. Both my friend and I had to drainpour..it just wasn't pleasant. I've had several Southern Tier beers now, and most have disappointed. I'm not sure I'll continue to sample from their line.

02-21-2012 02:20:31 | More by bubseymour
Reaper16

Alabama

2.23/5  rDev -47.7%

served on-tap @ Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO, into a tulip

Pours an inky, super-dark black color. You can see your reflection quite clearly in the glass thanks to the opacity. Very satisfying. Nearly two fingers of mocha head sit on top, but dissipate fairly briskly. A wonderful looking beverage.

My words upon smelling this: "Oh, c'mon!" This is a cartoon of a beer. Utterly ridiculous. The smell is all semi-sweet chocolate chips and Hershey's chocolate syrup, and maybe a bit of chocolate flavor Dole pudding. It is very chocolaty. Bracingly, cloyingly sweet. Where's the malt? Where's the anything-that-isn't-chocolate? The beer garners props for masking its 11% ABV, I suppose. This is absolutely one-note, and while it may be an enjoyable note in a ridiculously-strong-scented-candle-from-a-novelty-items-catalog sort of way, it isn't the quality or quantity of note that makes for a good aroma score in a beer.

The taste is only minutely less absurd. Choklat tastes like chocolate ice cream and alcohol sweetness. The alcohol is well-masked in a lot of ways; there isn't any heat to speak of. But it does give some sweetness, which is appreciated as it makes for a flavor that is something besides cheap, novelty chocolate. There might even be a dusting of espresso on the finish, but I'm trying to be too generous to this beer. It sucks. This schlock is over-the-top in all the wrong ways.

Surprisingly, this beer is quite thin in the mouth. It nails all of its chocolate flavors the way it wants to, but it doesn't provide a satisfying heft to best express the chocolate bonanza. It's slick and unwieldy. I give the drinkability props for masking the booze; if you can stomach this sugar-bomb than you should have little difficulty with a bomber, let alone the glass poured on-tap.

This beer is a caricature. I can't decide whether I am more appalled at the beer itself or the numerous very high scores it has received on this site. This beer represents most all of the things that American brewing does wrong.

12-30-2010 17:55:06 | More by Reaper16
robbyc1

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

22 oz bomber from local Binny's

A: dark black pour with a minimal tan head
S: chocolate is there with a weird astringency. Dark chocolate is the predominant smell.
T: big chocolate front with an astingent/steel aftertaste that wrecks it. Almost undrinkable.
M: OK
D: Sorry folks, this may have been a bad bottle but I think it's just over the top for me, not balanced, not even a sipper, just too much of something off-putting in there. I would try this again only if someone else has a tasting or something, too many other good stouts out there.

04-05-2008 21:34:45 | More by robbyc1
waltonc

Colorado

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

Review from 4/17/09 notes. Pours black with creamy tan head. The only thing I smell is chocolate. Tastes, again, like bitter, super rich, chocolate. Just absolute chocolate overkill, much like creme brulee is also overkill. Tastes like ST liquified brownies and blended it in with stout. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with plenty of carbonation. Because of the unbalanced chocolate, this was a drain pour. Unfortunately, the last four Southern Tier brews I've had now - Cuvee One, Creme Brulee, Pumpking, and Choklat - have all been drain pours.

09-17-2009 12:25:47 | More by waltonc
bulletrain76

2.3/5  rDev -46%

22oz bottle. Dark brown, bordering on black in the glass, with a small, dissipating head. The aroma is super-sweet caramel and chocolate syrup in a dead-on Hershey's impression; add on some marzipan and hazelnut. That in itself is interesting to say the least. The flavor is shockingly sweet chocolate syrup, light roasted malt husk, and smooth alcohol. The body is full and sticky, with low carbonation. In all honesty, this was interesting in how well it impersonated Hersheys syrup, but it did not make for a good beer; no complexity or anything nearing balance, just all sweet sugary alcoholic syrup. Definitely couldn't finish a bomber of this.

Rerate: Interesting experiment: I had half a bomber of this left last night, even after having two of my roommates take a shot at it as well, so I froze it overnight. This evening I partially thawed it and poured off the flat, concentrated remains. Holy chocolate liqueur! You could make a mean choco-tini with this stuff. I would have, but I seem to have misplaced my chocolate vodka as well as already pouring this down the drain. Maybe I could have made chocolate pudding with this?

05-11-2009 22:38:50 | More by bulletrain76
Arbitrator

2.33/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Re-review of a lightly chilled bomber into a glass. Received from Buddha22 in a recent trade. Thanks man.

A: Pours a pitch black in the glass, with a surprisingly light tan head that rises to half a finger in height. Retention is short; the head collapses into a very thin collar, with no lacing.

S: They're serious about this bad boy. Plenty of bittersweet chocolate in the nose; there's a roasted, grainy quality to it, but I can't pick up much else. It's quite inviting, if a bit one-dimensional.

T: The taste initially promises to be one-dimensional, as well. But it shapes up quite nicely. Lots of chocolate on the initial taste; it's milky, but there are some darker bittersweet elements to be found, too. A small roasted malt presence introduces coffee-like counterbalance. This is a very fresh bottle, and the hops are noticeable; they contribute an herbal, almost tannic bitterness that carries a light astringency into the aftertaste. The beer is far from saccharine, which is unusual for Southern Tier; just the same, the sweetness builds up, especially halfway through the bottle.

M: Full-bodied and chewy. Definitely a warming stout; the ABV is noticeable but hardly dominant in the flavor. As mentioned above, the beer builds on the palate. The low carbonation isn't enough to scrub the residual flavor, but the bitter, almost tannic hoppiness (sure to fade in non-fresh bottles) contrasts it a bit.

D: Unfortunately, I wound up drinking a bomber of this alone. The first few sips were tasty, but they became progressively heavier and sweeter by the middle of the bottle, and I threw out the second half. I think this experience has beaten any future craving I might have had for Choklat out of me.

02-19-2011 07:38:43 | More by Arbitrator
scott

2.42/5  rDev -43.2%

V.07

Dark & viscous, with subdued carbonation after an intial explosion. Hershey's syrup in the nose, and not much different with the taste. Buying an offering given the name, I was expecting copious amounts of chocolate. It's there, and not much more is going on, aside from some rounded lactic notes. No real complexity. This finishes with a nasty, bitter aftertaste. I'm glad I didn't stockpile.
I like the experimental aspect, but this doesn't taste much different than your friend's concoction where melted chocolate was simply poured and blended into a beer.

01-02-2008 02:24:45 | More by scott
bskrtz

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

Pured from bomber, served cold -- approx. 40 degrees

A: A rather flat, pitch black bold coffee. Not cloudy or yeasty, just black

S: Burnt chocolate, bitter herbs, a sort of sour mash note as well

T: Truthfully, I was let down. Rather flat, lacks carbonation. Dark, bitter chocolate dominates or rather over powers.

M: Dense and chewy.

This is a unique style, that does have an air of quality -- may appeal to some, but was not for me.

02-22-2009 01:10:31 | More by bskrtz
piakiev

2.53/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured into a us tumbler

A: Black, can only see a bit of red if held up to a bright light. Thick head about 4 fingers tall that persisted for a long time

S: Strong chocolate smell, smells like alcohol. I did not like the smell.

T: Very sweet, bitter chocolately flavor, then turns into a malty flavor then dominated by alcohol.

M: At first very smooth and thick then again dominated by alcohol.

O: If I wanted to get drunk I would drink a 22oz bottle of this as it has plenty of alcohol. A lot of people really like this beer so take my review with a grain of salt, but I really didn't care for it, I found the smell, taste, and mouthfeel all dominated by alcohol.

03-04-2012 16:39:57 | More by piakiev
ampzilla

2.55/5  rDev -40.1%

As dark as can be with half inch tan head. Minimal lacing.
Smell, well, exactly like chocolate Necco waffers. Not bad, per say, just not "quality" chocolate.
The taste was more of the same. All bland sweet chocolate with just a bit of alcohol and bitterness in the finish. Bad aftertaste that was a real flem machine.
Really the only good thing I can say is this one is it has got a rich and full mouthfeel. Almost creamy in texture.
I can understand some people digging this for beer floats or whatever, but otherwise it is way over-hyped IMO.
No interest in finishing the bottle, but the wife was happy to.

03-08-2008 02:33:05 | More by ampzilla
FatheadBrew

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev -39.4%

A: Pours a deep black with some ruby highlights. Foam is almost non-existant

S: Chocolate. Basically thats it. Some malt and alcohol coming through, but not much else

T: I've noticed other people referring to the cheapness of the chocolate taste. It took me a couple of sips to identify it, but finally it came to me. This tastes exactly like a chocolate tootsie roll pop. Kind of a "fake" chocolate taste. Overpowers all else.

M: Low for an IS. Kind of watery.

D: I struggled to get through the whole 22 oz bottle.

Overall, I would say this is my least favorite IS that I have tried. I wouldn't recommend it...unless you love tootsie roll pops.

01-22-2008 03:32:14 | More by FatheadBrew
JDV

2.73/5  rDev -35.9%

Thanks to jjpm74 for the bottle.
Hmm, another disappointment from Southern Tier... From a brewery I have always been excited about trying beers from, I haven't had a single one I would ever get again, from them and this was no different... Pours a rich black, with only slight shades of ruby coming through, and next to no head which didn't last even from a vigorous pour. Smell is very light alcohol and cheap chocolate and an artificial chemical component. Reminds me of the Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer in a bad way... Taste is somewhat rich, fake chocolate again and little else. Moderately balanced bittersweetness with a nice mouthfeel and light carbonation, but when its coming from something that smells like cheap melted hersheys, wax and preservatives, who cares? If you're going to add this much of some outside ingredient aside from the actual brewing process, you ought to make it fresh, or high quality, and I don't get the impression they did that at all here. Drinkable, but I would never recommend this as more than a mere novelty.

01-22-2008 02:24:18 | More by JDV
praufs01

2.8/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance - Very dark with a creamy mocha colored head.

Aroma - Dark chocolate dominates the nose.

Mouth feel - Full bodied stout with small bubble carbonation.

Taste - Bitter bakers chocolate with an alcohol finish.

Overall - It smells much better than it tastes. The bitterness of the dark chocolate is overwhelming and in my opinion ruins the experience.

12-27-2008 04:38:04 | More by praufs01
BitterPachyderm

Indiana

2.88/5  rDev -32.4%

A HUGE thanks goes out SBALDWIN for this controversial brew. I owe you one buddy!

I couldn't find a freshness date on the bottle, but did read a nice little snippit about the Mayans and xocoatl (ch-co-atle). Let's do this!

I poured it into an oversized wine glass despite wanting to pour it into the usual pint glass. The bottle told me not to...this bomber poured an opaque black with a thin brown head that bubbles and fades as fast as it took me to type this out. A little ring of brown creams leaves a minute amount of sticky lacing. This is one DARK brew!

I think I smell a Tootsie Roll...there are lots of super sweet chocolates in the nose. Smells spectacular! It's almost synthetic, however, which leads to some notes of oats and leather that make it through.

Where did the chocolate go? It's a malty mess with only a hint of burnt chocolate. I was expecting sweet and instead I get hit with this burnt, bitter, fakeness...from the supposed chocolate I presume.

The mouthfeel is way too thin for an impy stout. It seems they went a bit overboard on the carbonation too. It bites the tongue and holds it prisoner, and not in the good way either.

There is no way this can be percieved as drinkable. The alcohol might not be present, but the overwhelming power of the fake chocolate and burnt malts kills any chance of this beer being quaffed, let alone enjoyed in my book.

I wanted so badly to like (LOVE) this beer, I really did. I've just begun my imperial stout journey and this beer has got me a bit nervous. This brew was just too one dimensional for me. I was expecting chocolate cake in a bottle and instead I got a smellavision hologram with no substance...huge letdown. I might be stupid for saying this, but I am curious about it's cellaring prospects. I normally give a beer a second chance and unfortunately (or fortunately, it depends on the outcome) this beer is no exception.

06-10-2009 00:38:13 | More by BitterPachyderm
biglite351

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%

A - tall dark tan head. A bit more Ted around the edges than I would expect from a chocolate imperial stout.

S - smells of a mix of chocolates. Quick mix mostly though, some expensive truffels, and a Hershey bar tossed on for good luck

T - actially, too much chocolate for me. I can not fault it for that though since that is what this brew is about. Multiple chocolate typemixed together in liquid form, with a mild alcohol finish

M - mild coating and only a slight alcohol burn in the throat.

D - not my bag, only as a potential "dessert wine" type of thing.

09-14-2010 02:06:58 | More by biglite351
trumpetego

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

This beer was recommended to me by a co-worker, so I was very excited when I had the opportunity to try it on tap at The Lower Depths in Boston.
Poured into a 12oz tulip glass, this beer was pitch black with a small off-white head. The head dissipated after a few minutes, but provided nice lacing all the way down.
Smell is of sweet chocolate. Not much else. The tiniest hint of hops is detected in the nose as the beer warms.
Taste is very sweet, intense chocolate. Something like chocolate milk, and (sorry, Southern Tier) about as complex. I didn't get much from this other than chocolate. That's fine if that's all they were going for, but I wish there was something else to this beer. A bit of alchohol? Some hop bitterness? After a while the sweetness gets to be a little overpowering. Too ST's credit, the alchohol is very well hidden. It isn't detectable in the nose or the taste.
Mouthfeel is thick, as a double stout should be.
I didn't find this to be very drinkable. With a tart desert it would be excellent, but on it's own I found it to be a struggle to finish the glass. Although I couldn't smell or taste the 11% alchohol, I could certainly feel it by the time I was done with this beer.

01-21-2008 03:11:16 | More by trumpetego
ATPete

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

22oz bottle

Pours an inky black color with a small brown head. Nose of pure chocolate Tootsie Roll pops, not much else either. Its very impressive how aromatic ST got the chocolate character to be. Thick, dark bitter chocolate invades the tongue, initially this beer is very nice, creamy and semisweet, however, mid to late palate a huge bitter wave packing lots of alcohol heat totally catches you by surprise. Ive never seen a better bitter beer face on a few of my friends. The aftertaste of burnt chocolate malt lingers for quite a while. Full bodied, slightly coating, id had enough after my 4oz. serving.

12-04-2008 01:37:44 | More by ATPete