Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,663 | Reviews: 1,491

Wow, I do not understand this beer's 'A' rating at all.

Appearance: Opaque black, as you might suspect, with a minimal head that disappears almost entirely after a minute or so.

Smell: Powdered malt-drink (Ovaltine), generic chocolate, over-ripe bananas and some smoke.

Taste: Cheap milk chocolate and that's about it; not nearly as rich as I'd hoped and extremely one-dimensional. It's also nothing near as sweet as the various iterations of Bourbon County Stout.

Mouthfeel: Very thin for an 11% stout. After the initial taste of chocolate passes it's like swallowing water.

Probably the most underwhelming beer I've had in the last 12 months. What an absolute fucking disappointment. I bought a bottle of Oat at the same time so hopefully that's a little better, though I'm not optimistic.
Bah.

2.02/5  rDev -52.6%

Poured and shared with friend from a big bottle.

Appearance - very mediocre imperial stout. Nice super chocolate color but a very small head with little retention. Not up to par with other imperials in the look catagory.

Smell - putrid. Its not chocolatey at all. I can't even describe it, but every time I smell it its not pleasant.

Taste - incredibly chocolaty and more like bitter dark chocolate (which I like dark chocolate). Booze is well disguised but the flavor really doesn't work for me. Its more like chocolate flavored liquor than beer. I couldn't identify and hop presence to balance, no malty flavors or anything to complement of balance the bittersweet chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel - full bodied I suppose

Overall - Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this beer just didn't seem well made at all to me. The fact that the rest of BA considers it world class, makes me feel I got a bad batch perhaps. Both my friend and I had to drainpour..it just wasn't pleasant. I've had several Southern Tier beers now, and most have disappointed. I'm not sure I'll continue to sample from their line.

2.03/5  rDev -52.3%

Pours black with virtually no head. Just a small ring of brown on the rim. Very heavy Hershey like chocolate. Almost too much...actually it is too much. Sorry, this doesn't smell like beer, but some drink that should be in a martini glass. Flavor is hersheys with some alcohol burn. Has a slightly bitter finish. How did they get a flavor like this? Almost like the base was liquid chocolate and a few hops were added. Seems fake and artificial. Medium palate and oily. Not very good in my opinion. Way too much chocolate milk for me.

2.09/5  rDev -50.9%

22oz bomber poured into a mug

A - dark black with 0.5cm of head, if that.

S - Hershey's syrup and cocoa. not much else going on here

T - hershey's syrup tastes with two other weak chocolate-like taste, but it mostly tasted like watery chocolate syrup. alcohol was not noticeable, nor were any hops.

M - very watery, too thin to be an IS

D - not good.

2.23/5  rDev -47.7%

served on-tap @ Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO, into a tulip

Pours an inky, super-dark black color. You can see your reflection quite clearly in the glass thanks to the opacity. Very satisfying. Nearly two fingers of mocha head sit on top, but dissipate fairly briskly. A wonderful looking beverage.

My words upon smelling this: "Oh, c'mon!" This is a cartoon of a beer. Utterly ridiculous. The smell is all semi-sweet chocolate chips and Hershey's chocolate syrup, and maybe a bit of chocolate flavor Dole pudding. It is very chocolaty. Bracingly, cloyingly sweet. Where's the malt? Where's the anything-that-isn't-chocolate? The beer garners props for masking its 11% ABV, I suppose. This is absolutely one-note, and while it may be an enjoyable note in a ridiculously-strong-scented-candle-from-a-novelty-items-catalog sort of way, it isn't the quality or quantity of note that makes for a good aroma score in a beer.

The taste is only minutely less absurd. Choklat tastes like chocolate ice cream and alcohol sweetness. The alcohol is well-masked in a lot of ways; there isn't any heat to speak of. But it does give some sweetness, which is appreciated as it makes for a flavor that is something besides cheap, novelty chocolate. There might even be a dusting of espresso on the finish, but I'm trying to be too generous to this beer. It sucks. This schlock is over-the-top in all the wrong ways.

Surprisingly, this beer is quite thin in the mouth. It nails all of its chocolate flavors the way it wants to, but it doesn't provide a satisfying heft to best express the chocolate bonanza. It's slick and unwieldy. I give the drinkability props for masking the booze; if you can stomach this sugar-bomb than you should have little difficulty with a bomber, let alone the glass poured on-tap.

This beer is a caricature. I can't decide whether I am more appalled at the beer itself or the numerous very high scores it has received on this site. This beer represents most all of the things that American brewing does wrong.

2.3/5  rDev -46%

22 oz bomber from local Binny's

A: dark black pour with a minimal tan head
S: chocolate is there with a weird astringency. Dark chocolate is the predominant smell.
T: big chocolate front with an astingent/steel aftertaste that wrecks it. Almost undrinkable.
M: OK
D: Sorry folks, this may have been a bad bottle but I think it's just over the top for me, not balanced, not even a sipper, just too much of something off-putting in there. I would try this again only if someone else has a tasting or something, too many other good stouts out there.

2.31/5  rDev -45.8%

Review from 4/17/09 notes. Pours black with creamy tan head. The only thing I smell is chocolate. Tastes, again, like bitter, super rich, chocolate. Just absolute chocolate overkill, much like creme brulee is also overkill. Tastes like ST liquified brownies and blended it in with stout. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with plenty of carbonation. Because of the unbalanced chocolate, this was a drain pour. Unfortunately, the last four Southern Tier brews I've had now - Cuvee One, Creme Brulee, Pumpking, and Choklat - have all been drain pours.

2.33/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Re-review of a lightly chilled bomber into a glass. Received from Buddha22 in a recent trade. Thanks man.

A: Pours a pitch black in the glass, with a surprisingly light tan head that rises to half a finger in height. Retention is short; the head collapses into a very thin collar, with no lacing.

S: They're serious about this bad boy. Plenty of bittersweet chocolate in the nose; there's a roasted, grainy quality to it, but I can't pick up much else. It's quite inviting, if a bit one-dimensional.

T: The taste initially promises to be one-dimensional, as well. But it shapes up quite nicely. Lots of chocolate on the initial taste; it's milky, but there are some darker bittersweet elements to be found, too. A small roasted malt presence introduces coffee-like counterbalance. This is a very fresh bottle, and the hops are noticeable; they contribute an herbal, almost tannic bitterness that carries a light astringency into the aftertaste. The beer is far from saccharine, which is unusual for Southern Tier; just the same, the sweetness builds up, especially halfway through the bottle.

M: Full-bodied and chewy. Definitely a warming stout; the ABV is noticeable but hardly dominant in the flavor. As mentioned above, the beer builds on the palate. The low carbonation isn't enough to scrub the residual flavor, but the bitter, almost tannic hoppiness (sure to fade in non-fresh bottles) contrasts it a bit.

D: Unfortunately, I wound up drinking a bomber of this alone. The first few sips were tasty, but they became progressively heavier and sweeter by the middle of the bottle, and I threw out the second half. I think this experience has beaten any future craving I might have had for Choklat out of me.

2.36/5  rDev -44.6%

22oz bottle. Dark brown, bordering on black in the glass, with a small, dissipating head. The aroma is super-sweet caramel and chocolate syrup in a dead-on Hershey's impression; add on some marzipan and hazelnut. That in itself is interesting to say the least. The flavor is shockingly sweet chocolate syrup, light roasted malt husk, and smooth alcohol. The body is full and sticky, with low carbonation. In all honesty, this was interesting in how well it impersonated Hersheys syrup, but it did not make for a good beer; no complexity or anything nearing balance, just all sweet sugary alcoholic syrup. Definitely couldn't finish a bomber of this.

Rerate: Interesting experiment: I had half a bomber of this left last night, even after having two of my roommates take a shot at it as well, so I froze it overnight. This evening I partially thawed it and poured off the flat, concentrated remains. Holy chocolate liqueur! You could make a mean choco-tini with this stuff. I would have, but I seem to have misplaced my chocolate vodka as well as already pouring this down the drain. Maybe I could have made chocolate pudding with this?

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company