Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,476 | Hads: 4,782
4.72/5  rDev +10%

A- Dark, dark, midnight black!!! Very little head, oily lacing that drips away quickly and is gone.

S- Smells like chocolate pie and after dinner coffee. Hints of sweet toffee, smoke, caramel, and a bit of alcohol. The smells really come out and develope as it warms up.

T- Like a chocolate bomb for your taste buds!!! Lots of roasted coffee, dark Belgian chocolate! hints of smoke, burnt sugar, and toasted coconut. Like Hot Cocoa for adults. I've made this into a Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream float before... UNREAL!!!

M- Rich cocoa, chocolate blends and folds over your tongue. The coffee rolls in just after and adds a nice rich bitterness. The sweet chocolate really sticks around and leaves you smiling!

D- Certainly not an everyday drinker, but while the kids were having Ice Cream for dessert, I'm having this. Not as filling as you would think, but after just a couple tulip glasses of it... I'm ready for something else. (937 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Obtained during my pilgrimage to Lone Hill in Glendora and re-reviewed on 2/21/09.

A: Poured thin and flat into my 13.25 oz. snifter. Exhibited a dark chocolate color that was somewhat appealing, but nothing special.

S: Pure chocolate!!! The most alluring and tantalizing aroma I have ever experienced in a beer. Along with the deep and dark chocolate overtones, hints of caramel and perhaps peanuts were evident as well.

T: It reminded me of a dark Hershey's Kisses....and as my friend pointed out....M&M's. It wasn't just chocolate I was tasting, it was basically pure happiness in a bottle. The alcohol was hidden remarkably well, giving me a slight warming sensation after every sip.

M: After observing the thin pour into my glass, I was surprised to find a very thick substance swirling around my mouth. Light on the carbonation...just about perfect.

D: Could drink forever.

Overall: This is not only the best Chocolate Stout I have ever had, but one of the best brews ever!!! I had high expectations before trying this out, and it still blew my mind. This is one that every beer lover needs to try. (1,110 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Ink-black with a thin tan head.

Aroma is absolutely incredible. Imagine the rich, thick hot fudge syrup poured onto an ice cream sundae. Then go one better with a candy store full of dark chocolate, and you're still not quite there. Decadent, truly like no other beer I've smelled.

Flavor -- again, a chocoholic's dream in beer form. Hot fudge, milk and dark chocolates, cocoa powder, it's all here. What's best is that this isn't cloying; surprisingly balanced and smooth. As is the norm for Southern Tier big beers, the alcohol level is supremely well hidden. Some dark malt flavor works its way into the finish, as well as a very mild leafy hops note.

This is a must-have beer if you like chocolate (and who doesn't, really?)

Epic. Southern Tier does it again. (768 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Pours an opaque black with a massively frothy three-finger head with admirable retention. Dots the glass with lace throughout session.

Nose is a complete and total Choco-Fest. All the variations are present and accounted for: malted milk balls, dark chocolate, Hershey's syrup, cocoa powder and chocolate milk.

Opens with a big hit of malted milk balls -- think Whoopers -- before moving into flavors of dark, bittersweet chocolate. Suggestions of Baker's chocolate and chocolate milk surface. Rich, roasted chocolate malt flavors emerge with subtler notes of vanilla. Mild hop bitterness artfully rounds things out, and this is important: Choklat manages to meld all these chocolate flavors without any degree of cloyingness. 11% ABV is incredibly well concealed. In fact, it goes virtually unnoticed until a slight warming burn can be detected on the finish.

Medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Choklat isn't just a world-class Imperial Stout, it's dessert in a chalice. (1,009 characters)

650ml bomber 11,0% Abv
Served lightly chilled in a Brewdog Teku glass and shared with almost everyone I know!

I have wanted to taste this for a really long time and paid an arm and a leg for the bottle. Let's hope it was worth it!

Appearance: Choklat looks pitch black in the glass, but reveals deep red edges when back lit. The head is amazing - large and tan coloured; but unfortunately doesn’t last exceptionally well and only leaves sparse lace.

Smell: WOW, I was expecting chocolate, but this is just insane!!! Most chocolate is not this chocolaty... Melted milk chocolate, chocolate fudge, chocolate brownies, cocoa and a touch of dark fruit. Not the most complex aroma, but my word is it good!

Taste: After the smell I was expecting a super sweet, melted chocolate taste. I am however quite happy to find it still tastes like a stout - albeit a super chocolaty one. Dark roasted malt, tons of chocolate, cocoa, some coffee, fudge and a surprising, but welcome bitterness to finish.

Mouthfeel: Full body (though slightly stickier would be a huge improvement) with pleasant medium level carbonation.

Overall: Superb beer, absolutely perfect for dessert, or as a matter of fact any other time! I will have this again . (1,233 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to the "dude" that pointed this out to me at Brown Derby International Wine Center in Springfield, MO. Cool guy, good taste, great store.

Choklat was poured from a brown 22Oz bottle into a New Belgium globe. Body is pitch crowned by a small fingers worth of mocha brown creamy head which winds down pretty quickly to a quater inch ring around the edge of the glass where it stays put. Etching in the glass bottom helps with this, I'm sure. Lacing is there, although scant.

So what does Choklat smell like? Guess. If you guessed Hershey's chocolate sauce, cocao powder, and brownies with a side of barley wine, you're correct. If you like chocolate, this is your gig, bubba.

Flavor is over the friggin' top chocolate - the heavy metal version. You get massive milk chocolate sauce, cocoa, semi-sweet chip, and Swiss dark in your face. Then a hop flash followed by warming vanilla perpetuated by a well hidden 11% abv. Choco-nirvana man!

This may be the best feel I've ever had from a beer. Velvety, silky, creamy. I'm talkin' body oil and $1000 and hour call girl smooth. Did I just say that? Yes sir. That's a five, thank you.

Overall, this is PURE WIN if you love chocolate and beer. Yes, it's a bit over the top choco-wise, but that's the idea. The big question here is...Would it be killer over some vanilla bean ice cream? The bigger question...Why didn't I buy more? Why?!!! (1,391 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Beer pours nice dark black color with a nice tan creamy head. The aroma hits quick with alot of chocolate , hints of vanilla and carmel. A nice mouthfull dominated by rich creamy milk chocolate with a touch of caramel, vanilla and a little alcohol. Definatly a great dessert beer! Can't believe its 11% abv! (307 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Poured black as widower's weeds and heavy as a chest of plate. A short lived but frothy brownish foam erupted from the brew and presented a nose of cocoa, hops, toasted malt, more chocolate and a nip of alcohol.

The flavor was like biting off a chunk of 80% cocoa chocolate tempered on one side of the ring with hops bitterness and on the other side with a sweet toasted malt-- not a cloying sweet but a counterweight to the hops that balanced leaving the chocolate prominent in the center.

The beer coated my glass-- not just a lacing but it seemed to have a viscosity, an adherence factor that left a film coating as I swirled the libation around.

Mouthfeel is cordial and outstanding. A long finish with the chocolate tailing off like a reverberation followed by the other flavor ingredients as if an orchestra came to a crescendo and abruptly ceased their sound. The reverberant field of the concert hall continued for a few seconds.

Drinkability- downgraded a hair by the 11% ABV but this brew needs the elevated ABV to consummate the flavors. The brew was such a treat I would gladly weld myself to my chair as I enjoy my second bomber bottle. I'll even endure the hang-over while I revel in the flavor experience.

Glorious... simply glorious. (1,257 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

This was a guest beer at Willibrew. Pours nearly jet black with dark brown at the edges only when held to a bright light. 1 finger tan head dissipates to small amount of lacing.
Smell is chocolate, a hint of roasted barley, and a slight amout of sweetness that hints at the alcohol. Did I mention it smells like chocolate?!
Taste initially is sweet with huge amounts of bittersweet chocolate. There is again some roasted flavors, but these are swept away in more chocolate. The alcohol is barely evident in the taste. The flavor is like a beer version of sipping chocolate. Very nice.
Mouthfeel is smooth and becomes smoother as the temperature warms. Minimal carbonation, which is fine by me.
Drinkability is very high...provided you like chocolate. (Did I mention it tastes like chocolate?) ABV is evidence is the start of a buzz but does not interfere with the other flavors. Despite the dominant chocolate, there is enough else going on to make this a beer that is definitely worth drinking. (995 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a pure blackness that is dark as the darkest night with no moon or stars. There is a moderate thickness to the head that is rich and pillowy and tan that settles extremely slowly and leaves a shallow ring down the glass as opposed to lacing.

The nose is a fruity bourbon with notes of chocolate, coffee, anise, cardamon, vanilla, toast and raspberries.

The taste is very sharp and the alcohol has a definite bite that combines with the hops to attack the palate and dominate then gives way to a very complex smokey malt filled with a variety of flavors of smoke, bourbon, apples, bananas, coffee, chocolate, vanilla with a subtle peppery tinge in the finish.

The moutfeel is fairly creamy and the beer is a heavy one, especially for an American Stout.

Overall this is an exceptional stout that is very easy to enjoy. I found it went extremely well with some sushi. (883 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Jet black with a think khaki head, spotted lacing left behind.

S - Smells like a Hershey's milk chocolate bar. Maybe the slightest hint of roasted malts in there as well.

T - Chocolate, chocolate, and some more milk chocolate. There's a slight alcohol sweetness on the back, as well as a little lactose, but this one is chocolate through and through.

M - Smooth, full-bodied, with moderate carbonation. Very nice.

O - One of the finest chocolate milk stouts I've ever had. Alcohol certainly has its presence in this one, but not to the point where it detracts from the experience. For being 10%, the presence is impressively mild. Awesome beer, and worth the wait it took me to find it. (696 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

Served on tap in a snifter. Thinksh brown head dissipates qucikly, leaving some lacing around the rim of the glass. Intense nose of cocoa and vanilla. This is not chocolate, think cocoa. I could easily picture this nose paired with hot cocoa with a marshmellow melting into it. Color is dark,dark brown. Smooth flavor with cocoa, malt, vanilla, carmel and a trace of cinnamon. Not overly sweet. Well balanced, smooth and drinkable. Tasty smoothness masks a pretty high alcohol content. Do not attempt to pair this one with food unless it is a dessert. Had it with toffee pudding and vanilla ice cream, which is complemented well. Wonderful beer, try it if you get a chance. (673 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a snifter. Pours a jet black with a decent light brown heading.No lacing, no globbage but not flat looking.Thin edging around the glass.

Smell is well as good as it gets for chocolate lover's.Some earthy notes.

Taste is absolutely amazing. Chocolate , chocolate,and more chocolate that just blasts you in the mouth. A very subtle coffee bean touches down followed by a solid hop billing. Alcohol is perfectley suited at 11%. This could pass for an 8% ABV.

Mouth is full bodied with decent carbonation for an 11% brew.Super velvety smooth and perfect hoppy bite finish.

This is a perfect chocolate stout and blows all others away. I have a new favorite. Choklat = Perfect (686 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

(original review) Pours an inky-black with a thin but persistent cocoa-colored head. As one gets within olfactory range of the glass, the entire reason for this brew becomes stunningly apparent. Chocolate. Not chocolate malt, but chocolate like thick, dark, bittersweet, specialty-shop, savor the experience, rare cacao bean chocolate. Piss me off because this now supplants my own homebrew chocolate oatmeal stout as my wife's favorite beer. It's that good. While rich, this is not cloying sweet, and the 11% ABV and a perfectly proportioned bitter aftertaste keeps the richness in check so you (or your grinning wife) can easily consume the entire 22 oz. bomber. So while a second bomber might be a bit overwhelming, a beer of this potency and richness that makes it quite so easy to get through the first bomber is a notable accomplishment.

Edit 24 Dec 2010: Served on-tap at Oswego Tap House. Everything said previously is true, and the chocolate is still as potent and smooth as noted above. (997 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Looks like chocolate.
S - Smells like chocolate.
T - Tastes like chocolate.
M - Feels like chocolate.
O - Liquid chocolate. If someone told me this stuff was barrel-aged, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised - it sure smells and tastes just as good as some of the best barrel-aged beers I've had. Well done Southern Tier, well done! (337 characters)

served into a sniffer glass from 22oz bomber

A-the beer pours a very very dark color no little head, not even an attempt of a head.

S- the beer smells strong of chocolate. like seriously, a lot of chocolate. my father while tasting it said "at the end of my time, when I'm in the hospital, I want this smell coming out of my respirator".

T-HOLY CHOCOLATE BATMAN!!!! the other reviews state it tastes like chocolate milk. there is no other way to describe this beer. chocolate milk.... there is a slightly malty aftertaste with a little, but almost no, alcohol flavor.

M- SUPER thick. i have never had a beer this thick. it was awesome.

O- I want more. not just a little. alot more. (690 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Been meaning to try this. Chocolate stouts aren't something I really seek out. But I've heard good thing. While I was getting some creme brûlée, I figured I give this stuff a try.

Look: Poured in a snifter as suggested. Not much head. I blame myself. My pour was too slow and safe. Otherwise it's as dark as anything. Swirl the glass and you can get a Carmel colored head to appear. Edit: Yes, poured another glass a bit more aggressively, and produced a nice, fluffy caramel colored head.

Smell: Here's a shocker.... Chocolate! A bit of alcohol smell, but mainly just chocolate here. Like straight Hershey's syrup.

Taste: At first sip I was surprised at the presence of alcohol. I've had beers with the same or higher ABV with no alcohol present. I don't mean to make this sound like a bad thing. The chocolate flavor is very strong, as I assumed it would be, Once again, like chocolate syrup. Very little bitterness. Only bitterness is a slight coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick, just as a stout should be.

Overall: As mentioned, I've never seeked out chocolate stouts. I've had many. Many that get great reviews. I've always thought they were good, both nothing amazing. This is the first one that makes me feel different. Best chocolate stout I've had so far. Probably the best I'll ever have. (1,324 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Midnight black with a 1-finger head of dark brown head.

S: Heavy nose of chocolate. Like wow. I could be sniffing a malted milkshake. Incredibly appetizing.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee beans, background of earthy hops. Remarkably smooth and clean tasting for 11% ABV. Absolutely fantastic. My breath smells like chocolate!

M: Spot on.

D: 22oz is a good size for this one. *hic* (383 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer is awesome. Smooth and rich and hides the 11 percent increadibly well. What a brew. Pick it up! The smell is increadible. Wonderful brew. Smooth and easy to drink. If u like imperial stouts pick it up. It's a great cold weather brew. The guys at southern tier have outdone themselves. (294 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

Wasn't a big fan of the appearance on this one. The head retention wasn't there. Sure, it started out big, but fizzled out. The smell was unlike anything I've smelled in a chocolate beer before. Strong chocolate up front, then... yep, more chocolate. Taste was chocolate up front, but then a slight tinge of hops and then a chocolate finish. It's a thick, strong beer, but was easy to drink. Didn't fill me up at all. Get your hands on it if you can. (450 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Pitch black with a smallish dark tan head that fades quickly

S - Swiss miss hot chocolate and alcohol

T - Alcoholic brownies and roasty deliciousness on the aftertase

M - Medium in carbonation and full in body. Extremely creamy mouthfeel.

D - This is one of those beers that just catches you by surprise. You just don't think this can happen and it does. Simply stunning for what it's supposed to be. (408 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

Had on tap at TJ Finleys in Bay Shore, NY. Served in a Delerium Tremens tulip glass. I've reviewed this from a bottle so this is a review of the beer on tap.

Look: hard to tell exactly because of the dimly lit bar, but its dark brown but not quite black. I can't get any highlights by holding it to a light either. There's no head except a thin layer of bubbles hugging the side of the glass. No lacing.

Smell: big chocolate aroma, like brownies in the oven. There's some roasted malt and a hint of vanilla. Smells like the bottle version.

Taste: huge chocolate taste, as if someone melted a chocolate bar into a tulip glass. Hints of roasted malt and coffee. The alcohol is nicely hidden.

Feel: this is where the beer steps down from the bottle version. The bottle is a bit more silky and a bit more full. The tap version is a little thinner. Not bad but I would prefer my 11% ABV stouts to be a bit thicker.

Drink: quite high. This is a very drinkable imperial stout and its one I recommend people try in order to get them into the style.

Overall, a very good beer. This and Mokah are Southern Tier's best beers. I would certainly recommend trying this as soon as you can... except you might enjoy it in the bottle a little bit more. I know I did. Cheers! (1,265 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

Very nice desert beer- deep dark color, a small head, but the AROMA! Tootsie Roll hits you as soon as it is opened. Good taste of chocolate with a surprisingly thin body, just a hint of roast ( or maybe dark chocolate ?) at the finish. Best as an after-dinner drink, as I found that unlike many other stouts, it doesn't go with a rich chocolate cake at desert, seems to be not compatible there. (394 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

My new favorite chocolate stout + favorite dessert beer of any variety. Wow.

A: poured from a large bottle into a red wine glass. Black overall with fringes of dark red. Not much head.

S: chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup on top. Not Hershey's either -- think more like Lindt. Never smelled anything like it from a beer.

T: like it smells. Chocolate everywhere. Finishes with a tad of hops but never loses the sugary glow.

M: like a typical well crafted stout, smooth but not exceptional in any dimension.

D: very easily downed for the style (11% imperial). Frankly, it's hard to stop drinking! Just don't expect a session beer. Like the oversized old-tyme milkshake your mom told you not to chug so fast, it's so tasty you'll do it anyway, even if you regret it later. (781 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Very dark and black with no color coming when held to light. A good finger of tan head fades into a patchy layer. A little bit of lacing.

Smell: HUGE aroma of chocolate, both dark and milk. Like putting a chocolate bar to your face. Also picking up some dark roasted malts, coffee, and a hint of dark fruit and hops.

Taste: Tastes like it smells, big kick of sweet dark chocolate and milk with strong dark roasted malts, coffee, and a bit of hops and dark fruit. Also has a hint of vanilla. Has enough bitterness to help balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Pretty smooth and creamy. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Overall: A very tasty and interesting version of an imperial stout. Very sweet and has a lighter body than your typical imperial stout, but balanced enough to make it a great brew. (892 characters)

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company