Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Ratings: 4,734 | Reviews: 1,504
4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Black with a nice tan head. Good retention, nice lacing.

S: Like a chocolate bar - it's amazing how close it smells to a sweet dark chocolate. Some of the other chocolate stouts are much more bitter-smelling. This one smells like dessert.

T: Sweet dark chocolate is dominant and strong. Backing is basically undetectable, but has a slightly hoppy undertone. The overtone completely overpowers just about anything else, leaving the taste of complete chocolate-y goodness in your mouth. Would be nice if it had a little more depth, though.

M: Perfect carbonation, non-astringent, medium-body, a little syrupy. Perfect for the effect of liquid chocolate bar.

D: Actually, quite drinkable, which is surprising. I could definitely finish this off no problem on a full stomach.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Jet black, with a thin brown head with little retention.

S - Strong aroma of milk chocolate almost like a milkshake, but with a strong kick of alcohol.

T - Lots of chocolate and sweetness from the start with a good amount of alcohol to finish, but not overpowering. Well balanced considering the abv.

M - Silk and smooth. Very pleasing

D - Brings me back to when I was a kid drinking chocolate milkshake. Will most certainly have this again.

Served from a bomber poured into a pint glass.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Deep, dark midnight black in color. Absolutely no light passing through this one. Generous dark brown 1 finger head with low retention and limited spotty lacing.

S: Huge chocolately aroma. That's it...this smells like pure chocolate heaven.

T: Holy chocolately mouthgasm batman! This is the most chocolate heavy beer I've ever tasted and it's AWESOME. Well done Southern Tier, well done. Taste is a beautiful harmony of chocolate, and malts with an ever so minor hop bite.

M: Smooth, soft, medium bodied, sweet, awesome.

D: Pretty high ABV, but unbelievably drinkable. You'd be hard pressed to even tell this was a beer, let alone an alcoholic drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I poured Choklat into my snifter. Haha, I like the sound of that. Cellar temperature. I was super-excited to find this stuff.

The head looks like two fingers of mocha foam. Creamy, frothy, and yummy-looking. The body? This is one of those "black as night" beers. Truly.

Now for the aroma... cocoa, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, fudge, chocolate milkshake, freshly-baked chocolate cookies, brownies... I could go on.It's pretty much every awesome chocolate scent that exists. Underneath the ubiquitous amalgamation of delicious chocolate things, I think I might smell a little vanilla and raisins. It is a joy and a privilege to sit here and sniff a snifter-full of this supremely sniffable stout.

The flavor does NOT disappoint. Thoroughly chocolaty in about as many ways as the aroma is. Early on, it tastes like a malty chocolate milkshake, and as the flavor unfolds into the finish, all the fantastic darker chocolate flavors come out. It kind of proceeds from milk chocolate, to semi-sweet chocolate, to bittersweet chocolate, and then finally to a nice bit of bitter and earthy unsweetened chocolate in the aftertaste. It's kind of like eating chocolate chips of all these varieties, one after the other in a progression that increases in chocolate purity. So the longer I wait between sips, the more it gets less sweet and malty, and more bitter and earthy. Have I said the word "chocolate" enough to describe what drinking this is like? Anyway, hops and yeast are just present enough to remind me that this is still indeed a beer, and not a chocolate dessert... or, I should say, not JUST a chocolate dessert. A rich, intense, balanced, smooth, and scrumptiously chocolaty flavor.

It kind of has the consistency of thick hot cocoa, and it's also kind of syrupy. Carbonation is muted and mellow.

A chocolate craving CAN be satisfied by baking a tray of brownies... or one could just drink one of these.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Date of birth: 12/13/12. Poured aggressively from a 22oz bottle into a snifter glass. Thumb sized peanut butter colored head. Aroma is one of my favorites I have ever smelled. Deep and rich dark milk chocolate. Taste is amazing. This is one of those beers where you sit and wonder how they do it. They called it Choklat for a reason. Milk chocolate punches you in the face. Expresso comes through after the initial punch. Finishes with a perfect amount of warmth. This stout sits up there with the best. This brew is a must try for all beer lovers.

On draft > 13oz Tulip glass
A - Pours absolutely black, thick sticky 1 finger head with a nice caramel color to it, hangs on for a while.
S - Smells like everything chocolate thats good. Chocolate covered coffee beans, vanilla, slight roasted malt, chocolate syrup.
T - Chocolate everywhere on everything at once! Creamy smooth, roasted coffee beans, a little vanilla.
M - Huge full thick body, very sweet, but not overly sugary/syrupy, flavor hangs on to your palate for a good while.
O - Hands down the best chocolate beer out there, excellent desert beer, It is exactly what one would dream of a chocolate beer being. Southern Tier did things right on this brew.

4.71/5  rDev +10.6%

I generally do not gush about beer, but I feel I have to with this one.

I reserve Choklat for special occassions; a beer to enjoy right before dessert or to cap off a sampling session. The last one I had was from the collection and was two years old (bottled in 2010)

The pour was slightly heady but a dark, rich head appeared which released not an up front hop note (which is there- if you search for it) but a strong dark chocolate smell. (Which I love) . The chocolate flavor and profile is promounced, but the aging had a calming effect. More malt flavors came through and the hop character was ever so slightly evident. A great stout to have to finish any beer sampling evening or to compliment a bowl of vanilla ice cream.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

This amazing stout poured into a Guinness pint glass a deep but not quite opaque black there was a little tinge of ruby when held to the light a creamy tight one finger mocha colored head atop that settled into a creamy mass atop.I have never encountered a beer with such a chocolate fudge presence in the nose in anything for that matter it was like a fudge brownie with a bit of raisin and molasses just awesome.That big bakers chocolate presence is felt on the palate hitting big up front like a dense chocolate cake infused with a touch of raisin and raw nut,a slight earthy presence is felt in the finsih to make it perfect no cloying sweetness.Wow can a better chocolate stout be made? I honestly dont think its posible, ST made this beer a standard for any beer infused with chocolate,just awesome!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Thanks, I believe, to Mrs. lftwng4 for bringing the entire lineup to the last tasting. I'm just getting to these notes; this one was a delight.

This beer is a deep, rich, thick black in color. A bit of a creamy brown head forms and sticks around for a good while, leaving some legs of lacing stretching down the glass.
Chocolate is here like I haven't smelled in a beer before, and not just cocoa powder. There's an element of that kind of sweetness, but it's more like semisweet baker's chocolate, rich and pure, along with something like a gourmet dark cocoa. There are stout elements underneath, and the balance is almost perfect in implementing those characters while making this one all about the chocolate. Close to perfection...
...which I believe is reached in the flavor. This is absolutely beautiful, drinking chocolate as a beer. Full on melted and then cooled pure dark chocolate bar, perhaps with cocoa and espresso nibs, with a light roasted touch allowing this one to be both evidently a beer and evidently, deliciously chocolatey. I struggle to detect 11% ABV. I wouldn't even have known. Masterfully masked.
The mouthfeel is also excellent. This one is nothing short of full-bodied without being obscenely filling. There's a bite of crispness in here in an appropriately low carbonation, then there's lots of rich smoothness. A lingering finish includes nearly all the elements of the flavor but mostly, of course, rich chocolate.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

To start with, I love stouts and I love chocolate and/or coffee stouts. I've enjoyed so many brews from Southern Tier, I could not wait to taste this one.

From the time, I popped the cap, I knew I was going to be in for something good. The pour was like a dark mountain river water, cascading over rocks , splashing along the way until it hits its destination.

It almost poured like a dark thick chocolate syrup. The aroma was beyond what I anticipated. I couldnt even wait to evaluate the other characteristics, I quickly took my first sip.

It wasn't a beer, it was like drinking the most round and full chocolate beverage, rich in flavour, perfectly balanced, a big mouthful, long lasting after taste. The CHOCOLATE comes through loud and clear.... BUT it is also gentle.

Anyone who has tasted other Chocolate Stouts, really needs to try this one. It was a close to perfect as any beer I have tasted in the past several years

I want this one over and over and over again. As a beer, as a desert, as a treat, this is
something very special

3/10/13
One thing I did notice at this tasting. While everything was what I said it was, it did have a bit of a strong alcohol taste this time. Not that that was bad, but I've had high ABV stouts that seem to mask the alcohol better.

02/19/14
This one was from an early 2013 delivery. The chocolate in this one is coming out much more pronounced, but its a sweet mellow rich chocolate. Each sip gives me more and more chocolate. The nose does appear to be a bit boozy. But the taste is not. Loving this one For the real chocolate lover, you dont have to like beer to love this

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Wow..this is like too much chocolate to even think it is a beer....let alone one of 11% ABV.

Pours almost black amber with some chocolate-like red tones and a half finger of white foam that melts quickly to a mere covering of sticky white.

Aroma is pure and unadulterated chocolate...milk chocolate...dark chocolates...creamy chocolate. Yummy.

Taste..
Well, what did you expect?
Chocolate. Sweet milk with bittersweet chocolate on the end. Touches of cherry...some banana like a banana split....damn!...this really does remind me of an ice cream sundae. Every flavor and sensation except the nuts exist in this stout and I have the feeling that as it warms some more, I will even find them hidden in the complexities of what they call 'beer' here. It loses some points on drinkability only because like most rich, decadent deserts, it is too rich to enjoy too much of at one time.

Wonderful desert.
Decadent and heavenly.
Thanks LittleBreeze.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Served from tap into an imperial pint. Poured pitch black with a one and a half finger tan head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, caramel, dark fruit, and slight alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, alcohol, and caramel. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was quite excellent. Very well balanced with a nice bitter note from the dark chocolate upon swallowing. Had an excellent aroma going on here. If you haven't had this one before, you need to get off your ass and do so...

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Bought after I was told it was "sex in a bottle".

Served in a tulip from a 22 oz bomber. (Upset I didn't get it when I saw it on tap at my local beer store.)

A: Deep black. Like dark chocolate. Also, amazing head retention. Really surprised but pleased. Off to a great start...

S: Chocolate just hits you. Really great smell of the 'Belgian bittersweet chocolate' used. After reading other reviews, agree with the tootsie roll reference. Everyone I know said the same thing. It made me feel like I was having dessert.

T: Chocolate and lush malt flavor at first. Great flavor. Followed with a chocolately aftertaste (somewhat acidic) with a citrusy, mild hoppy follow up.

M: Thick and smooth. Granted, a sticky feel later on. It's a chocolate stout though. Acceptable.

D: I could drink bomber after bomber. It's thick but just too great to put down. Really enjoyed it. Plus, the alcohol was well hidden. Especially after sitting.

Really enjoyed this one. Definitely worth another purchase.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Man ow man I love this brew. Got it at my local place which is long sold out for 12 dollars!

A - Thick viscous looking stout with aggressive ABV damn that's awesome! I actually got a nice half inch of mocha head which was pretty impressive for a light pour.

S - Right off the bat I could smell bakers chocolate, strong cocoa powder and little to no alcohol but it is there. Slight coffee tones which is expected for such a big stout.

T - Sweet but never overly this is a perfect chocolate beer. Starts almost syrup like drinking like cold cocoa with a touch of vanilla and coffee but only slightly since is beer is all about the chocolate. Finishes slightly bitter with the only burn being from the stomach hit not on the tongue. Must be drunk cold to truly appreciate the beer without the burn!

M - I found it quite drinkable with a medium to heavy body. It drinks very well for the staggering ABV.

Overall: Wow do I love this stuff. Might be drinking it a bit too cold so will let it warm up but I do believe it should be drank around 43-50 degree's for best results. Around room temperate the ABV will become cloying and the great chocolate taste would be lost. Pour 8 oz and put back in the fridge for big bottles! Drinks just as good from the bottle as it did on tap. Bravo ST a great beer!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

I picked this up from the Party Source the other day and I had to try it immediately. The appearance is dark dark brown and there is a little bit of a light brown head. The smell is more like Hershey's chocolate milk than an imperial stout. The taste is, what else, but loads of chocolate. It starts out as a powerful stout chocolate and the aftertaste is simple hershey's chocolate, not beer. As it warms, the sticky chocolate is even more prevalent. Nice, smooth finish.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

A- Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Riedel sniffer. Pours a pitch black with no head and black all the way to the edge.

S- CHOCOLATE! I have never smelled this much dark almost fruity chocolate in a beer. I am quite confident that if there were more aromas here you couldn't smell them through the chocolate. Man I cannot wait to taste this.

T- CHOCOLATE! Ok not to be repetitive but there is a huge amount of chocolate in this beer. On the taste you get espresso and caramels in addition of the chocolate. Actually this is a quite complex brew. Incredibility delicious for sure.

M- Good carbonation in this beer. Somewhat low but adequate. This is a thick brew but very smooth.

D- 11% ABV??!!?? This is a dangerous beer. I think I could drink the whole bomber. Maybe we will find that out tonight. This beer does hide it's alcohol well though. TRY THIS BEER! It is great!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

First let me begin by saying I am not a fan of most Southern Tier products. That said, Choklat is easily one of the best beers I've EVER tasted. This brew, while not the most complex beer in the world, is exactly what the name implies. If you like chocolate, it's not possible to dislike this beer!

Pours pitch black but not particularly heavy with a very thin, bubbly tan head. The smell is all chocolate, dark chocolate with a tinge of alcohol. The taste, well, what can I say? It's like drinking a melted quality semi-sweet or dark chocolate bar (think Lindt or Godiva). This is serious chocolate!! It's that simple yet incredibly wonderful. It's only slight downfall is it's not the type of beer you're going to be drinking a lot of but isn't that the case for most extreme or big beers?

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

A- Dark, dark, midnight black!!! Very little head, oily lacing that drips away quickly and is gone.

S- Smells like chocolate pie and after dinner coffee. Hints of sweet toffee, smoke, caramel, and a bit of alcohol. The smells really come out and develope as it warms up.

T- Like a chocolate bomb for your taste buds!!! Lots of roasted coffee, dark Belgian chocolate! hints of smoke, burnt sugar, and toasted coconut. Like Hot Cocoa for adults. I've made this into a Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream float before... UNREAL!!!

M- Rich cocoa, chocolate blends and folds over your tongue. The coffee rolls in just after and adds a nice rich bitterness. The sweet chocolate really sticks around and leaves you smiling!

D- Certainly not an everyday drinker, but while the kids were having Ice Cream for dessert, I'm having this. Not as filling as you would think, but after just a couple tulip glasses of it... I'm ready for something else.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Obtained during my pilgrimage to Lone Hill in Glendora and re-reviewed on 2/21/09.

A: Poured thin and flat into my 13.25 oz. snifter. Exhibited a dark chocolate color that was somewhat appealing, but nothing special.

S: Pure chocolate!!! The most alluring and tantalizing aroma I have ever experienced in a beer. Along with the deep and dark chocolate overtones, hints of caramel and perhaps peanuts were evident as well.

T: It reminded me of a dark Hershey's Kisses....and as my friend pointed out....M&M's. It wasn't just chocolate I was tasting, it was basically pure happiness in a bottle. The alcohol was hidden remarkably well, giving me a slight warming sensation after every sip.

M: After observing the thin pour into my glass, I was surprised to find a very thick substance swirling around my mouth. Light on the carbonation...just about perfect.

D: Could drink forever.

Overall: This is not only the best Chocolate Stout I have ever had, but one of the best brews ever!!! I had high expectations before trying this out, and it still blew my mind. This is one that every beer lover needs to try.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Ink-black with a thin tan head.

Aroma is absolutely incredible. Imagine the rich, thick hot fudge syrup poured onto an ice cream sundae. Then go one better with a candy store full of dark chocolate, and you're still not quite there. Decadent, truly like no other beer I've smelled.

Flavor -- again, a chocoholic's dream in beer form. Hot fudge, milk and dark chocolates, cocoa powder, it's all here. What's best is that this isn't cloying; surprisingly balanced and smooth. As is the norm for Southern Tier big beers, the alcohol level is supremely well hidden. Some dark malt flavor works its way into the finish, as well as a very mild leafy hops note.

This is a must-have beer if you like chocolate (and who doesn't, really?)

Epic. Southern Tier does it again.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours an opaque black with a massively frothy three-finger head with admirable retention. Dots the glass with lace throughout session.

Nose is a complete and total Choco-Fest. All the variations are present and accounted for: malted milk balls, dark chocolate, Hershey's syrup, cocoa powder and chocolate milk.

Opens with a big hit of malted milk balls -- think Whoopers -- before moving into flavors of dark, bittersweet chocolate. Suggestions of Baker's chocolate and chocolate milk surface. Rich, roasted chocolate malt flavors emerge with subtler notes of vanilla. Mild hop bitterness artfully rounds things out, and this is important: Choklat manages to meld all these chocolate flavors without any degree of cloyingness. 11% ABV is incredibly well concealed. In fact, it goes virtually unnoticed until a slight warming burn can be detected on the finish.

Medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Choklat isn't just a world-class Imperial Stout, it's dessert in a chalice.

650ml bomber 11,0% Abv
Served lightly chilled in a Brewdog Teku glass and shared with almost everyone I know!

I have wanted to taste this for a really long time and paid an arm and a leg for the bottle. Let's hope it was worth it!

Appearance: Choklat looks pitch black in the glass, but reveals deep red edges when back lit. The head is amazing - large and tan coloured; but unfortunately doesn’t last exceptionally well and only leaves sparse lace.

Smell: WOW, I was expecting chocolate, but this is just insane!!! Most chocolate is not this chocolaty... Melted milk chocolate, chocolate fudge, chocolate brownies, cocoa and a touch of dark fruit. Not the most complex aroma, but my word is it good!

Taste: After the smell I was expecting a super sweet, melted chocolate taste. I am however quite happy to find it still tastes like a stout - albeit a super chocolaty one. Dark roasted malt, tons of chocolate, cocoa, some coffee, fudge and a surprising, but welcome bitterness to finish.

Mouthfeel: Full body (though slightly stickier would be a huge improvement) with pleasant medium level carbonation.

Overall: Superb beer, absolutely perfect for dessert, or as a matter of fact any other time! I will have this again .

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Thanks to the "dude" that pointed this out to me at Brown Derby International Wine Center in Springfield, MO. Cool guy, good taste, great store.

Choklat was poured from a brown 22Oz bottle into a New Belgium globe. Body is pitch crowned by a small fingers worth of mocha brown creamy head which winds down pretty quickly to a quater inch ring around the edge of the glass where it stays put. Etching in the glass bottom helps with this, I'm sure. Lacing is there, although scant.

So what does Choklat smell like? Guess. If you guessed Hershey's chocolate sauce, cocao powder, and brownies with a side of barley wine, you're correct. If you like chocolate, this is your gig, bubba.

Flavor is over the friggin' top chocolate - the heavy metal version. You get massive milk chocolate sauce, cocoa, semi-sweet chip, and Swiss dark in your face. Then a hop flash followed by warming vanilla perpetuated by a well hidden 11% abv. Choco-nirvana man!

This may be the best feel I've ever had from a beer. Velvety, silky, creamy. I'm talkin' body oil and $1000 and hour call girl smooth. Did I just say that? Yes sir. That's a five, thank you.

Overall, this is PURE WIN if you love chocolate and beer. Yes, it's a bit over the top choco-wise, but that's the idea. The big question here is...Would it be killer over some vanilla bean ice cream? The bigger question...Why didn't I buy more? Why?!!!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Beer pours nice dark black color with a nice tan creamy head. The aroma hits quick with alot of chocolate , hints of vanilla and carmel. A nice mouthfull dominated by rich creamy milk chocolate with a touch of caramel, vanilla and a little alcohol. Definatly a great dessert beer! Can't believe its 11% abv!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured black as widower's weeds and heavy as a chest of plate. A short lived but frothy brownish foam erupted from the brew and presented a nose of cocoa, hops, toasted malt, more chocolate and a nip of alcohol.

The flavor was like biting off a chunk of 80% cocoa chocolate tempered on one side of the ring with hops bitterness and on the other side with a sweet toasted malt-- not a cloying sweet but a counterweight to the hops that balanced leaving the chocolate prominent in the center.

The beer coated my glass-- not just a lacing but it seemed to have a viscosity, an adherence factor that left a film coating as I swirled the libation around.

Mouthfeel is cordial and outstanding. A long finish with the chocolate tailing off like a reverberation followed by the other flavor ingredients as if an orchestra came to a crescendo and abruptly ceased their sound. The reverberant field of the concert hall continued for a few seconds.

Drinkability- downgraded a hair by the 11% ABV but this brew needs the elevated ABV to consummate the flavors. The brew was such a treat I would gladly weld myself to my chair as I enjoy my second bomber bottle. I'll even endure the hang-over while I revel in the flavor experience.

Glorious... simply glorious.