Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,498 | Hads: 4,901
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Bomber poured into a large snifter.

Dark opaque black color.. fizzy with a minimal tan head. Smell is pure semisweet/bitter dark chocolate. Maybe a little maple syrup, molasses, and dark sweet fruit hidden well behind the overwhelming chocolate presence.

Taste is extremely sweet.. and definitely chocolate. I haven't had a beer yet with this much chocolate flavor. Very limited hop flavor shows up at the end. A fizzy carbonated mouthfeel, not too thick/creamy. This isn't too heavy either and I can't believe it is 11% ABV.. very smooth and well put together. Excellent.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance-Pours a slick black into the glass, a small mocha head rises and recedes and leaves a ring of lace. This beer is blacker than black, one of the blackest stouts I've ever seen.

Aroma-*CHOCOLATE* that pretty much sums it up, there is some minor malt character in the background but it takes a back seat to all that raw chocolate aroma; I love it.

Taste-Chocolate again but not 'quite' as much as the aroma but still a ton of chocolate flavor. There is some dark malt on the backened as well as a *VERY* slight bittering hop preventing everything from becoming to cloying. The chocolate flavor really dominates everything around it though.

Mouthfeel-Great, I'd have liked a little bit more of that silky melted chocolate kind of feel which prevents it from getting a perfect 5 but other than that it's thick, plush and great.

Drinkability-Great, just great; I can hardly wait between the sips as I review this beer; I love drinking it, so I can only say the drinkability is perfect.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

I poured from a 22oz bomber into a wine glass. There was minimal biege head and slight lacing. Dark black in appearance with a slightly red hue when held up to the light. The aroma has some alcohol on it, also coffee, dark chocolate. This beer punches you in the mouth with flavor coffee and chocolate, a bit of dried fruit. There is a great hop/ malt balance. The mouthfeel is viscous, like motor oil. This could be an very dangerous beer considering it's alcohol content. I would highly recommend this beer. One of my favorite stouts.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into a chalice. Large tan head that laces the glass. The aroma is chocolate and roasted malts, and coffee. The taste is chocolate upfront to finish; probably the most chocolate in a brew I have ever had to date. The usual flavor of an imperial stout are in there as well. The brew has a mild carbonation with a full body. The chocolate coats your mouth along with hops bitterness. A great brew, but I can't do more than a bomber a night. Still want to have it around for a different session.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark, black, light brown head
S: Dark chocolate/coffee
T: Like dark belgian chocolate with a bit of stout mixed in
M: Silky and smooth
O: I won't rate many stouts on here as I don't care for the style, but I tried this one at a friend's house and I loved it. Definitely needs to be enjoyed slowly. Stout characteristics are more prominent at colder temps, but the chocolate increased as it approached room temperature. Didn't bother to cool it at all for my second tasting, chocolate flavor perfectly balanced. Great for a cold day to sip on. Will buy again next year!

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours out jet black with a brown, frothy head. Smells like malted milk balls. Tastes of chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, roasted malts. I even pick up some bitterness and herbal hop character in the finish. My only complaint is that it's a bit sweet (of course). Mouthfeel is full, but could be thicker. Overall, this is a textbook chocolate stout. Awesome.

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%

I can imagine this brew is generally a hit-or-miss in terms of producing polarizing personal reaction. I honestly wasn't expecting too much from this one... suffice it to say that I was pleasantly blown away.

Thanks to Bobbby8405 for the hook-up.

A - Average for a stout, perhaps slightly better. Shiny obsidian-black with a very scant head that is quickly reduced to a small ring.

S - The smell is like a very delicious hot chocolate with melted mini marshmallows. Or perhaps like chocolate-covered cherries. Actually, I think it is like the center of a Tootsie Pop.

T - The taste is pure candied deliciousness. This qualifies as one of the most delicious deserts I've ever had. It is like a brewed essence of chocolate M&Ms, Tootsie Rolls, and/or Hershey's Kisses, except worldly and sophisticated. That it doesn't delve into flavors other than superb chocolate is commendable; it is simply chocolate, simply outstanding. The 11% alcohol is literally imperceptible, the flavor is richly sweet but never cloying, and the finish lingers deliciously; this brew is fantastic.

M - The feel is a tad flat and somewhat less than heavy viscosity, especially toward the finish, but it does not detract. It also doesn't enhance, either...

D - If you don't like chocolate, or you can't wrap your mind around the concept of a beer as a dessert, than this isn't for you. If you like sublimely decadent flavor, this is your ticket. This is my ticket, no doubt.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

If you LOVE chocolate this is for you. Theres no other way to describe this beer. Its chocolate and it makes no apologies. It walks a thin line with being overwhelmingly chocolate, but it walks it so well. It's incredible! Only a few can be had before a nap is needed so be forwarned!

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- deep impenetrable black with a slight creamy mocha head. Minimal retention but some lacing all the same.

S- rich dark chocolate dominates. This is in no way bad.

T- more complex than the aroma. In addition to the dark chocolate there is some burnt malt flavor and a nice alcohol sweetness

M- silky smooth with a little crispness on the finish

O- a delicious big flavor chocolate stout

From notes 2-22-09

Done horizontally with Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, Southern Tier Choklat, Redhook Double Black, Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast, Avery Mephistopheles, and New Holland Night Tripper.

Eye: Pretty much no head, what formed of it died instantly, however I think that it is this particular glass. Was drinking this one last night and it had a nice head with nice lacing. It pours black and thick, no highlights.

Nose: Intense chocolate aroma. This one smells like melted dark chocolate. Just sweet dark chocolate. Nothing that resembles beer in this one, yet the aroma is very inviting. Prolly the best chocolate smelling beers I've ever put the nose to. Just big chocolate, not much complexity, but very strong and just... well, overall great.

Tongue: Heaviest and the most robust and focused of all these beers. I'm not going to fault this beer for having one flavor only. This is an intense chocolate that hits you. Alcohol is hidden, you'd have no idea that this were 11%abv less the bottle told you. Its like you're drinking melted chocolate, yet were you to do that you'd prolly gag because its so thick. This is an awesome beer. If you're a fan of chocolate you can't pass this up. Faint fruitiness as well, mirroring the darker side-such as black cherries. This beer is the epitome of chocolate.

Feel and Drinkability: This is by far the heaviest and thickest beer in this lineup. Very heavy and thick, smooth like velvet, but with the weight of lead. Carbonation is almost nonexistant, just enough to tell you this is a beer. This is by far the best feeling and the easiest to drink of all these beers, alcohol is well hidden and it feels perfect. With the alcohol hidden this well its almost as if you're not partaking any alcohol into your body.

edit: of the six beers here the most difficult to drink were the World Wide Stout, Avery Mephistopheles, and New Holland Night Tripper. After coming back to the beers once done with the tasting, these three had alcohol in the foreground, the most prevalant....making them sippers.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

A - deep black like a well shined shoe. head and lace very minimal and dissipate quickly

S - rich boutique of dark chocolate. reminds me of walking into a chocolate factory and all the glory that comes from enjoying myself there

T - rich, dark chocolate overload until the aftertaste, where some of the bitterness comes about. but it fits nicely with the rich chocolate taste

M - full, somewhat syrupy, but leaves a nice thick coating as the beer migrates through the mouth

D - Would love to keep drinking more if I didn't feel so full after a glass.

Hides the alcohol content very well

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

So I was expecting a big chocolate flavored beer and that's exactly what I got. In the smell at first is a sour chocolate smell, probably because it was a bit too cold. As it warms up the smell is like cocoa powder. The taste is ALL milk chocolate. Ok there's a lot of alcohol that comes out as it warms as well but this is like drinking chocolate milk. There is still a slightly roasty barley finish. Very very good but almost a bit hard to drink, even if it does taste so good. Great in small quantities.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Big thanks to mikesgroove and dmeadows for this one, I received a bottle from each of them in my Beer Powerball winnings.

Poured from a bottle into my Darkness tulip (just like most beer I drink).

A: Black with a small creamy head that left minimal lacing.
S: Chocolate! It certainly does smell a lot like chocolate, the bitter dark kind that I like. There was a hint of yummy malt in the background as well.
T: CHOCOLATE! Just like it smells. "Oh man this is good" is what I was thinking every time I took a sip. There is no hint of the 11% it claims on the bottle.
M: Thick but not cloying, it feels pretty good. Also it tastes like chocolate.
D: I was sad to have the bottle end, I could really drink this all night, which with the invisible 11% would not be such a good idea.

This was a very good beer. It makes me sad to think that after I drink the other bottle I have I won't be able to drink anymore. Southern Tier should really start distributing to Minnesota for me.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Pours an opaque black color that has some slight rootbeer color highlights when held in light. The head is pretty dense, creamy, and retains for a short while, leaving rings of lacing along the over-sized wine glass

S: Wow! Smells very similar to hot chocolate! Definitely sweet and bittersweet chocolate aromas, a LOT of lactose for that creamy note, and an overall toasty aroma. The hop presence is not that noticeable, nut a nice dose of alcohol on the nose is.

T: Very similar to the nose. Extremely unique for the style (not really for ST). Sweet chocolate, lactose, a slight bitterness from the hops, and a healthy dose of alcohol as it warms. Very delicious, and works very well as an after-dinner beer or even an aperitif for a small but rich meal.

MF/D: Very viscous, very creamy, and an amazing lactose/sweet chocolate finish.

A side note...this is a very good "conversion" beer for newcomers to the world of craft beer (a friend of mine who only drinks BMC says he will buy an $8 bomber tomorrow), especially those who tend to stray away from dark beers or stouts

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Served at cellar temp in my oversized snifter.

A: Pours jet black. Good sized creamy tan head that slowly recedes. Decent retention for an imperial.

S: Wow. Smells of decadent milk chocolate. A nice blast of vanilla mixes in there as well. Smells unbelievably awesome.

T: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Or should I say Choklat? A blend of good milk/dark chocolate. A touch of vanilla. Not too sweet, just right. Fricking decadent.

M: Ummm...awesome. Nice and creamy. ST really nailed it with the thickness. Carbonation is just right. Too much carbonation would totally change this. It's spot on.

D: I can't detect the alcohol hardly at all. Just a slight alcohol burn in the back. This one could be dangerous. Great beer.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at the Lionheart in Albany, NY- $4 happy hour special. Hot dang!! My question is, why do men feel the need to warn me, "Be careful, its 12%." I'm getting Choklat not a freakin' can of Schlitz! Ya think I don't know what I'm doing??

A- Rich, brown-black. No light's getting through this. Poured with a 1/2" dark creamy head off the tap. I haven't gotten much of a head out of the bottle. The head stayed throughout the entire pint leaving stratigraphical rings down the glass.

S- Like fermented Tootsie Rolls. Its sexy. This had to have been created by a woman who realized the need for 'period beer.'

T- Tastes lite it smells. To all the haters who have reviewed this as tasing "Too chocolaty," its called Choklat and that's what you get. Cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, chocolate covered malt balls, chocolate covered hazelnuts... you name it.

M- Seems to have poured a bit thinner on tap than out of the bottle. That's not really saying much though. Its very full bodied & smooth with low carbonation

D- Dangerously drinkable for something so rich and heavy. I'm very pleased to have several bottles of this in the cellar.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a 16 oz chalice. Jet black with an brown, very thin head that is gone quickly leaving a sparse ring around the edge of the glass. The strong aroma of dark, dark chocolate hits your nose immediately, like liquid chocolate mousse; sweet coffee overtones; outstanding. Roasted walnuts, caramel, plum, slight bitterness fades to sweet malty after taste, warm alcohol. Heavy and sticky, low carbonation. This one has it all; a complex blend of flavors and aromas. I expected the chocolate to dominate the taste like the aroma, but I was pleasantly surprised when the other flavors came to the forefront. An amazing beer.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Didn't realize this was on the BA 100 until i looked it up to review it. Hop bombs, malt bombs...this is a chocolate bomb. Black pour with reddish highlights. Dark, tan head seems to be loaded with powder cocao...or is it the aroma that's making me dizzy? Aroma...yeah...chocolate. This thing is a chocolate bar. Dark chocolate with some silky milk chocolate thrown in for good measure. Picking up slight spice, hoping it's from the hops.
Taste is a bit lighter on the chocolate side, but not by much. It has a good share of roastiness to it to add to the chocolate bar flaver. More dark chocolate than milk. Not too sweet. Dryness throughout after a brief hit of sweet up front. Spices come it at the end that make me think (but not really 'taste') some citrus mixed with chocolate. Some tobacco hits along with alcohol in the end. Darn fine beer.

Bottle from 2009

Tons of bakers chocolate as soon as the cap is popped.

More vanilla and dark chocolate in the nose.

Reddish hues round out this dark black stout. Head lingers initially then dwindles down to next to nothing.

Very silky smooth body. Slightly warming as I drink. Plenty of roasted malts with a superb dark chocolate character that melts into a milk chocolate feel. This eventually turns to a mexican vanilla character. Simply delicious.

Tons of Belgian dark chocolate. This is so easy to drink. very well-rounded. The hops blend beautifully and complement this double stout so well.

This is really a delicious stout.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

This is not only one of my all-time favorite chocolate beers, it's one of my favorite stouts. It's chocolate done right in my opinion, toning down the bitterness that's usually found in stouts, making it incredibly smooth and easy to drink. I recommend aging it for at least a year, as the flavor really blooms and the alcohol mellows out.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

My wife was convinced by the sales-guys at Wooden Keg to buy this for me. I'm so happy!

A= nice deep chocolate dark with a foamy off-beige head.

S= USE THIS STUFF LIKE AN AIR-FRESHENER! It's like walking into a store filled with cherry-covered chocolates. Expensive ones. Nothing like Hershey's as the previous reviewer mentions-- "maybe" Ghirardelli or a top-notch chocolateer. I was enjoying the nose so much that I really didn't want to drink it (a rarity!).

T= much like the cherry-chocolate I mention in the scent! Immaculate. A great dessert-beer. It would have ruined a pizza or any main-course. Superb dessert-beer, or by itself.

M= smooth, creamy, a slight hops bite but similar to the same bite of a GOOD chocolate.

D= hampered only by the 11%ABV but what the heck.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

I have had this beer many times; both bottled and on Tap @ TJ's in Paoli. Recalling my first experience via bottle, the smell of chocolate filled the air the second I popped the top. It pours with a nice firm head that holds throughout. This beer tastes more like pure chocolate than any other I have tried and is clearly brewed with actual chocolate. Halfway through my first pint I assumed one would suffice and I blurted out the all too familiar "I don't think I'll want more than one of these" comment that all too often comes standard with similar big, bold flavored beers. After two 16 oz bottles of a sneaky 11% beast I realized this brew was much more drinkable than I thought. Great with or without food - I can't get enough of this beer

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

A- About a 1" light mocha head on a big black body.
S- Wow, just like smelling a Hersey's bar. Tad more coco powder in it but just straight up chocolate.
T- Really strong chocolate with just a tiny hint of alcohol on the tongue. Can really taste the coco powder in it. Almost like a cooled down hot chocolate with a little carbonation.
M- Medium to full body with low carbonation.
D- If you like chocolate this is the beer for you. The only compliant with it is I wish it had a more creamy silk body.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

There may be nothing wrong with this beer unless you don't like chocolate. And having said that - this beer isn't just for stout lovers, its a very good stout, but its feels more chocolate than it does stout.

I didn't get that crema head that I am accustomed to (er maybe spoiled by) on some Imperial stouts (I of course could have poured it wrong). 2nd pour, I overdid it and got foam but it was crema-like. Color is a nice brown, hints of red it in, slightly opaque.

This beer's aroma is solid chocolate - all chocolate - its great - the nose get the chocolate, then the mouth - the taste is superb.

No sign of the 11% ABV - none - it drinks like a regular stout or porter and a 22 oz bomber is going down nicely.

I want to make a mole sauce out of this beer, I want to put this beer on ice cream, I want to freeze this beer on sticks and suck on it.

It's the best pairing of chocolate and brewing I have ever had - it's better than Rogue's, better than Brooklyn (and brooklyn is really good), this is better because its blended so well.

The hops come out when it warms a bit and so does the alcohol, ice cold its strongly chocolate, as it gets to room temp,, the chocolate settles and the alcohol comes forward but not overwhelmingly. Nice roasted malt taste, its very balanced.

Trade for this one, its worth it and its delicious.

On tap at The Ugly Mug, Downtown Minneapolis. Served in a snifter

A - Used motor oil black, light khaki head that thins and leaves no lacing.

S - Chocolate, sugar, cocoa, light coffee, light peanut butter

T - Snickers, milk choclate, light coffee, toffee creaminess, tootsie rolls, hint of reeses peanut butter cups as it warms. Very little booze taste but a light warming sensation as it goes down. Amazingly tasty stuff!

M - Super smooth and velvety, light carbonation, nice lingering mouthfeel

D - Crazy drinkable for 11%; I had to have more than one it was so good.

Overall, another fine example of how Southern Tier does it right.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company