2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,800 | Reviews: 1,417 | Show All Ratings:
daythree16

Tennessee

3.08/5  rDev -27.7%

Split a 22 oz bomber with the wife. Poured into a snifter. Completely black with no head at all. Looks like a glass of motor oil, especially with the brown film it leaves on the glass as I swirl it.

Smell is 90% chocolate, 10% alcohol. That's all I can really get. Taste is bittersweet chocolate with some smokiness followed by a moderately bitter finish. It also has a pretty healty dose of alcohol burn. After a while, the chocolate becomes almost too much to bear, and it gets really hard to keep drinking it.

Mouthfeel is thick, creamy, and smooth. Drinkability is pretty bad. I don't even want to finish my half of the bomber.

02-07-2009 07:07:44 | More by daythree16
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.13/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance: Dark Brown with a light brown head that lasts and lasts as a thin skim.

Aroma: Boozy and bitter dark chocolate. Tootsie roll like sweet chocolate too.

Taste: Chocolate dominates, making up perhaps 90 plus percent of the profile. Touches of roasted malt and crème fill in the rest.

Mouthfeel: Boozy but only lightly burning, bittersweet, fairly full bodied but still surprisingly light considering the abv.

Drinkability: Not good at all for me. This is too tootsie roll like and one dimensional for my tastes. I have a hard time drinking this in any serious quantity. Good for what it is trying to be though.

02-03-2008 21:34:20 | More by DaPeculierDane
billshmeinke

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured into a snifter at about 50 degrees farenheight.

I get a one finger khaki head from a semi hard pour. Very dark black with some brown hues towards the edges when held to light. Head resides to a ring of foam around the glass.

For a minute I couldn't figure out what the sugary sweet scent reminded me of. After racking my brain for similar beers, I remembered the smell didn't remind me of a beer at all. This smells exactly like a tootsie roll or chocolate tootsie roll pop.

The taste is literally the beer version of a chocolate tootsie roll pop. Sugary candy like chocolate with hints of pine like hop presence. Really sugary tasting. Imagine a liquified chocolate tootsie pop and you are imagining the taste of this beer.

Really thin for an imperial stout. Medium carbonation and a tiny bite on the end. Not very enjoyable mouthfeel on this one.

Honestly this is like chocolate soda. If someone were to hand me a glass without telling me what it is. I would assume it was a soda. No trace of alcohol in my mind which is crazy for the abv. If you are trying to get your sweets loving girlfriend into craft beer I bet this is a good place to start. However, it can be a little much after a glass.

Simply too fake chocolate tasting for me. I looked through some other reviews and found no mention of tootsie roll scent/flavor, but that is exactly what this tastes and smells like to me.

06-27-2010 23:53:29 | More by billshmeinke
mrnobody

Ontario (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -26.1%

22oz. bomber poured into a snifter. Pours an impenetrable black with a tan head that dissipates quickly, no lacing to speak of. The smell is chocolate of course, also alcohol, caramel and vanilla. The flavour is chocolate, booze and some coffee. The carbonation is light and lively. The mouthfeel is thin considering how much sugar is in this. I'd say the drinkability of this is not too high, it is quite sweet and hot.

Again, I much prefer the Black Oak approach of cocoa/bitter chocolate to the sweet Hershey's milk chocolate thing going on here. This is the third "big beer" (Creme Brulee, Unearthly) I've had from Southern Tier and I haven't liked any of them much, I think I will stick with their IPA/2XIPA from here on which are great beers in my opinion.

10-18-2010 01:30:02 | More by mrnobody
sleazo

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

2007 vintage

A_Pours a very dark black with a small tan head. Nothing really more to be said other than that.

S_The smell is dominated by a scent of fudge or better yet brownie mix. There is a bit of alcohol as well.

T_Very rich fudge is the best way to describe this. There are hints of espresso and alcohol but rich chocolate dominates here. The aftertaste is bitter chocolate again. Not overly complex but very chocolatey which is what I suppose they are going for.

M_A bit viscous with a light but hard carbonation. Works well here.

D_Very potent chocolate which while nice may be a bit too much for a beer. I am sure a year of sitting has tempered the alcohol somewhat which is a good thing. Decent enough but not my cup of tea.

10-04-2008 04:27:07 | More by sleazo
DaveFL1976

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Grading appearance, smell, taste, mothfeel and drinkability, seperately, on a 1 to 5 scale, I fear that my overall grade will be somewhere around a B. That is not my intentions, but that is how the formulas work, and such is life.

Anyway, had it on tap at the Pratt Street Ale House in Baltimore (go Orioles!).

This is the most chocolaty, sweet, milk-shake-like beer that I've ever had, and that's not a good thing. I finished maybe half a pint before I went into diabetic shock. Just way, way too much chocolaty-sweetness going on here. I would have gone to Ben & Jerry's if I was looking for a sugar fix.

My Beer Advocate grade might say 'B' but my taste buds say 'I'm drowning in Giardelli's"

07-02-2009 01:49:57 | More by DaveFL1976
taylor714914

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured this beer from a 22 oz bomber into a duvel snifter glass.

A- This imperial stout pours a dark brown, almost black in color with about a half a finger of lacing that quickly subsides into a thin layer which remained through about 3/4 of the glass. The lacing from this beer was minimal with a few small strains here and there.

S- The smell from this Imperial Stout was very, very bold. Chocolate. Lots and lots of it. Alcohol also came through on the nose and just the slightest hint of roasted malts.

T- To be honest, this beer was too sweet for me, hence the average 3.0 rating. There was lots of bitter dark chocolate flavor...a whole lot, but I just couldn't get any depth from the brew. Some mild alcohol notes came through and just a the smallest hints of roasted malts. The chocolate flavor was just way to overpowering for me to give this any higher of a rating. A beer needs to have layers of flavor and complexity, and for the this was a very one dimensional brew. The finish was dark chocolate and bitter tasting (IE Bitterness from the dark chocolate)

M- Good mouthfeel with little carbonation. A nice thickness and smoothness, but not overboard in either category.

D- This falls flat when it comes to drinkability. The chocolate sweetness just became way to much after about 8 oz's, which took about a half hour to drink. It took me an hour and a half to finish the last 14 oz of the bomber.

Overall, this would be an exceptional beer for the chocolate lover who literally wants to drink liquid chocolate. For me, however, it was much to sweet and much too chocolaty for my personal liking. I was hoping for a nice chocolate backbone with lots of other flavors, but it turned out to be focused more on loads of chocolate flavor than complexity.

02-06-2009 05:52:41 | More by taylor714914
McNuts

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Bomber received in trade with bmanning. Poured into DFH Chalice>

Look: Very nice looking beer. Jet black. Nice 1"Head with decent lacing. Very attractive beer.

Smell: Just as advertised. Chocolate malt, Milk Chocolate, dark chocolate and everything in between.

Taste: One of the richest beers I've ever had. Super-rich chocolate flavors but insanely sweet. I did enjoy the rich chocolate flavors but this one was way, way too sweet for me, I struggled to finish the bomber which is not a problem that I usually have. Maybe I should have split this one? I dunno?

Mouthfeel: Nice. Coated the tongue with rich chocolate. Full bodied and nice.

Overall: Honestly, I wanted to love this one along with everyone else. I liked the look, smell, and feel. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy overall due to the sweetness. Next time, I will try this on Breyer's Vanilla Bean, which is where this one belongs.

06-10-2011 02:02:19 | More by McNuts
brokenleadedcask

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

Not trying to slam this beer but it didn't do it for me. I had it last year and remember it being better than this.

A- Poured into snifter jet black with little to no head and had no lacing when glass was finished

S- Dark cherries, malted milk, smores over a campfire without the smoke flavor

T- Chocolate covered cherries, it hides the alcohol well. I know it's not at all cost effective to use high quality chocolate for such a widely distributed beer but Choklat is to real chocolate as instant coffee is to fair trade. I can taste the coco powder

M- Had some weight to it but still a touch dry

D- Because of the high ABV, not so much. Possible desert to share w/ friends, in small portions. It's as drinkable as eating 2lbs of chocolate is edible.

03-11-2009 22:57:54 | More by brokenleadedcask
JayQue

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

I can appreciate what Southern Tier was going for here, but it was too much chocolate for me!! No fault of the beer...just a matter of style and personal taste.

Poured a dense dark brown with a small tan head and good lacing. No light got through this one. Head retention is what you would expect with a 11.0 beer.

Smelled like Nestle's Quik and malty beer. Taste was definitely too much Nestle's Quik. I could almost imagine feeling the powder you get when you don't stir the Nestles Quik well enough into the milk! There is balance here...not too sweet.(hops?)....malty taste is there, very subordinate to the chocolate though.

Mouthfeel is rich, but the heavy concentration of chocolate kind of put me off.

Drinkability is not that good. A good 8 oz. novelty, but it was a chore to but the 22 oz'er down.

09-07-2009 00:58:20 | More by JayQue
beerchick

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

THis might have rated higher but for the hype, but I made a huge point of breaking this out for my spouse for dessert based on prior reviews and it was mediocre chocolate syrup taste with beer. Sorry. Now thinking about a Rogue or Youngs Chocolate Stoudt. Or even an old school Brooklyn.

01-21-2010 03:46:47 | More by beerchick
awall422

3.28/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Put this one in the "too much of a good thing" category for me. poured jet black, but with a little head that faded pretty fast and left little lacing. as soon as it's out of the bottle your nose is scream ing chocolate. smells like tootsie rolls. taste is just overwhelming chocolate. that's all i get. it's ok, but so one sided as to come across as a very simplistic brew and doesn't do much more than beat you about the head and scream, "hey! i brewed this beer with cholocalte!!!" no way i could finish a pint of this.

01-07-2008 01:19:21 | More by awall422
alcstradamus

Washington

3.28/5  rDev -23%

Black pour with a full two fingers of head and great lacing. Smell is cocoa powder, bread crust, maybe even a few floral hops. Taste is roasted malt up front with some cocoa powder on the finish that is a bit harsh. Although I can taste the chocolate, I most definitely am not getting the same rush of Hershey's syrup that others describe (and that I was hoping for). I'm not sure if this is an '08 or '09 bottle. If it is an '08 than I guess this beer is probably not suited for aging. If it is an '09 then I guess the rumors about Southern Tier recipe changes must be true. Or perhaps nothing has changed and I just don't perceive it the way others have.

Mouthfeel is full to medium, the alcohol is pretty well hidden despite the high ABV. But I'm just not really into the taste, and I absolutely love chocolate beers.

11-26-2009 05:38:22 | More by alcstradamus
FtownThrowDown

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark brown in color with about an inch of head. Smell is bakers chocolate and nothing more. Taste is much the same, chocolate domination. Kind of a creamy milkshake flavor. Tasted alot like fudge brownie mix powder. Absolutely no sign of the ABV whatsoever. Decent mouthfeel. But it's just an alright beer. I'll stick with the Jah-va and the Oat which are MUCH better beers.

02-07-2008 23:57:18 | More by FtownThrowDown
PBoegel

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

22 oz bomber, 2nd batch release brewed in fall 2008.

Poured into an Ommegang mini-snifter. Black, brown head fairly thick and layered, but breaks rather quickly. A very inviting look for a big stout.

The aroma is all chocolate, fudge, syrup, Nestle tollhouse chips. There is an aroma of heavy alcohol too, not off putting fusels but very big warm that presents like a liqueur. I pick up nothing from the malt profile of this beer and certainly no hops, the latter of which is certainly not a big deal, but I found the chocolate to be overwhelmingly the only dimension beyond the alcohol.

Taste is the same as the aroma, huge overwhelming chocolate flavors, very interesting in that as it warms the chocolate flavors never subside, never play second fiddle. Like the aroma the only other fiddle in the taste is alcohol which serves to create a bit of lightness in the heavy chocolate character and wash the finish clean in each sip.

Mouthfeel is very full bodied, slick and oily from the chocolate character with what little perceptible bitterness accentuated by the alcohol.

As far as drinkability, this is an interesting concept for a beer and easily the most chocolate flavor I have encountered in a beer, but I do not find this to be an American Double or an Imperial stout in any real regard, this is a specialty flavored beer much like any of the hybrid fruit, vegetable or spiced styles. It is very intriguing and should be tried at least once if you can get it.

At nearly $10 a bomber, this beer simply does not say repeat visits to me.

01-22-2009 12:23:06 | More by PBoegel
writerLJBerg

Oregon

3.31/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle split with my wife.

A: Pours in a solid stream of black ooze. Thin ring of mocha head. Nice legs.

N: Chocolate syrup. Big surprise there, really. Vanilla extract and tons more of the milk chocolate. There are hints of malt and then again..syrup.

T: Bitter chocolate mixed with the syrup. Surprisingly bitter and has an unpleasant chalky taste. Has some smoke and leather elements. Can’t tell if I like it.

M: Pleasantly carbonated with a decently thick body. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: A strange concoction that’s not as sweet as you’d expect and not as complex as you might want. Not great. Oh well.

05-25-2013 05:59:31 | More by writerLJBerg
teromous

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Black as cola with barely any head at all. No retention and minimal lacing. It's not much do look at and overall unimpressive. Very little carbonation, even for a stout.

S: It smells strongly of malted barley, very similar to how a barleywine smells. There is no scent of chocolate on the nose.

T: It tastes as dark as it looks, with burnt and bitter notes. It has roasted coffee flavors. I have had a number of other chocolate stouts, some are stronger in chocolate flavor and some are weaker. This one is very weak, and the bitter chocolate flavor is barely noticeable. The more you drink it, the more you pick up a slight chocolate flavor. It takes a while to coat the mouth enough to really pick it out from the barrage of roasted bitters. The ABV listed on my bottle is 11% but I don't taste it, obviously masked by the thick flavors. That alone awards merit.

M: The mouthfeel is alright. It tastes a little undercarbonated and flat. It is bitter but not overly bitter. It is malty without being too sweet which is a plus.

D: It is not overly bitter or sweet, so it is very easy to drink this. I would have liked more chocolate hints that this didn't provide. More carbonation probably would have brought out the flavors a little more as well. It's a shame to see Belgian chocolate go to waste!

Southern Tier is one of my favorite breweries, so I would love to see this beer improved on in the future,

08-07-2010 04:49:12 | More by teromous
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

This beer was a nearly opaque brown, clear, with a half finger head. I tried shining an LED flashlight through it and almost nothing came through.

Aroma was all chocolate at first, sweet and sugary. The comparison I red below to Hershey's Syrup is a valid one. Roasted grains came through only when I went hunting for them.

Taste was of strong roasted grains, followed by a splash of bitterness. A burst of alcohol came through at the swallow, and the finish was faint chocolate with that lingering bitterness. The chocolate came through stronger when I took a much larger swallow, but the bitterness was much greater as well. Not a great trade-off.

Mouthfeel was much too thin for a double stout. It just didn't pull it together for me.

Drinkability gets low marks too. It was all I could do just to finish the bottle. Of course, since I can open my throat and drink a lot at once, and I was looking for a buzz, I managed to do it.

07-15-2008 01:55:16 | More by connecticutpoet
ncvbc

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

Deep and dark, basically black. Thin to medium tan head, not much retention. Smell is overwhelmingly dark chocolate. Some sugary sweetness to it but mostly dark, bitter, melted chocolate. I like this, I think...is it beer, though? Smells like it should be in solid form rather than liquid. Taste is pretty nice. Definitely an assault with the chocolate again. Dark, rich, liquid chocolate. What more can be said? Oh yeah, it gets really sweet. I like this better than the smell because it adds a hint of roast to the mix along with a faint green hop bitterness. Still, though...the chocolate, it's lovely. Just too much chocolate, not enough beer. Close to a full bodied brew with a good feel for sure. Good level of carbonation. I wish this were more drinkable but unfortunately for me, it's not. Takes quite a while to consume. I'd prefer splitting this with three people, even. One of those brews that is on the brink of being brilliant but it's just slightly held back. Add a touch more roast, a little more depth, and this is one amazing brew. As is, it's quite one-dimensional and reminds me of Mike Tyson. It packs a heavy chocolate punch but has too many other issues to be a consistent knockout...damn, that was bad.

08-02-2008 00:32:15 | More by ncvbc
southsiderookie

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

This wasn't a terrible beer. Had a very strong "choklat" aroma. The body I felt started strong but slightly dropped off while soaking the palate. Very strong appearance with no head, no lacing really either. For the seven dollars that I spent on this beer and to add it to the tried list I didn't think this beer was a total flop. With some really good stouts I've tried recently this is not high on the list but certainly not last.

02-24-2009 18:22:33 | More by southsiderookie
WYVYRN527

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle, this beer pours black with a finger-thick eggshell head that settles very quickly. The aroma is pure chocolate, with a hint of coffee and some toast. The taste is sweet, almost cloying. Bittersweet chocolate? Tastes a bit more like Hershey's here. Other flavors given off are coffee, bread, and some fruity hops. This beer is thick, sweet, and is almost over the top. Definitely worth a try, but I wouldn't say more than once, unless you are serving it with dessert.

02-05-2010 06:50:44 | More by WYVYRN527
OttoBomb

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (January 26, 2010). No 'bottled on' date here.

Eyes: Pours a very dark chocolaty brown/black. One finger of fluffy brownish head forms and dissipates.

Nose: As advertised, it smells almost exclusively of chocolate. It smells how I'd expect dark chocolate milk to be. A hint of hops also?

Tongue: Dark chocolate again, but this time it's burnt chocolate with a distinct alcohol burn. Some burnt cocoa and soft vanilla are here also, but mostly the burnt chocolate. It's nice, but a bit too one dimensional for me.

Mouth: It's actually quite smooth until the alcohol makes it's appearance. Carbonation is very good however.

Libation: What a surprise, it's very chocolaty. I like the concept, but it just isn't balanced. The aroma is quite good, but it's just too much of a one trick pony. It certainly delivers the chocolate, but not a whole lot else.

01-28-2010 04:25:09 | More by OttoBomb
BigMike

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

A: Black. A dark tan head of one finger tops it off.

S: Pure milk chocolate. Not much else.

T: pretty much the same as the nose. Chocolate.

M: A bit thin. Some more body and smoothness would be nice. Carbonation is right on.

Overall: A one trick pony. Chocolate And not much else. Not very easy to drink. A chore to finish. A 12oz. Bottle would be nice. Definitely not something I would drink again.

12-16-2010 01:30:29 | More by BigMike
NWer

Washington

Poured into HotD tulip.
Pours nicely one finger brown head. Dark brown in appearance.
Smell precedes taste with, what else? Chocolate.
The chocolate taste at first is good - I like chocolate. Taste is of real cocoa chocolate slightly burnt.
Nice.
Then I took another sip. And another.
And that was enough. Cloyingly sweet. Enough already.
This is not a beer I enjoyed after the initial couple of sips. Will save the rest to pour over vanilla ice cream.

11-24-2012 22:44:56 | More by NWer
ProudBeerSnob

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into a goblet from a 22 oz bottle. Dark, dark , dark! Thickish khaki colored head that disappears immediately.

Smell is all chocolate, almost overpowering. So overpowering that I thought I would not like the beer. More on that...

Taste is not as chocolatey as the smell portends. Very thick mouthfeel, which I like, but the sweet choclatey taste takes away from the mouthfeel. Tasting every bit of the 11% alc.

Drinkablility? Are you kidding? I wish I had someone to share the bomber with.

Overall, not bad, but as I said next time, I'll make sure there's someone to share.

01-18-2009 01:56:19 | More by ProudBeerSnob