Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,498 | Hads: 4,899
3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

Bomber received in trade with bmanning. Poured into DFH Chalice>

Look: Very nice looking beer. Jet black. Nice 1"Head with decent lacing. Very attractive beer.

Smell: Just as advertised. Chocolate malt, Milk Chocolate, dark chocolate and everything in between.

Taste: One of the richest beers I've ever had. Super-rich chocolate flavors but insanely sweet. I did enjoy the rich chocolate flavors but this one was way, way too sweet for me, I struggled to finish the bomber which is not a problem that I usually have. Maybe I should have split this one? I dunno?

Mouthfeel: Nice. Coated the tongue with rich chocolate. Full bodied and nice.

Overall: Honestly, I wanted to love this one along with everyone else. I liked the look, smell, and feel. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy overall due to the sweetness. Next time, I will try this on Breyer's Vanilla Bean, which is where this one belongs.

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle split with my wife.

A: Pours in a solid stream of black ooze. Thin ring of mocha head. Nice legs.

N: Chocolate syrup. Big surprise there, really. Vanilla extract and tons more of the milk chocolate. There are hints of malt and then again..syrup.

T: Bitter chocolate mixed with the syrup. Surprisingly bitter and has an unpleasant chalky taste. Has some smoke and leather elements. Can’t tell if I like it.

M: Pleasantly carbonated with a decently thick body. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: A strange concoction that’s not as sweet as you’d expect and not as complex as you might want. Not great. Oh well.

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Deep and dark, basically black. Thin to medium tan head, not much retention. Smell is overwhelmingly dark chocolate. Some sugary sweetness to it but mostly dark, bitter, melted chocolate. I like this, I think...is it beer, though? Smells like it should be in solid form rather than liquid. Taste is pretty nice. Definitely an assault with the chocolate again. Dark, rich, liquid chocolate. What more can be said? Oh yeah, it gets really sweet. I like this better than the smell because it adds a hint of roast to the mix along with a faint green hop bitterness. Still, though...the chocolate, it's lovely. Just too much chocolate, not enough beer. Close to a full bodied brew with a good feel for sure. Good level of carbonation. I wish this were more drinkable but unfortunately for me, it's not. Takes quite a while to consume. I'd prefer splitting this with three people, even. One of those brews that is on the brink of being brilliant but it's just slightly held back. Add a touch more roast, a little more depth, and this is one amazing brew. As is, it's quite one-dimensional and reminds me of Mike Tyson. It packs a heavy chocolate punch but has too many other issues to be a consistent knockout...damn, that was bad.

3.34/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Put this one in the "too much of a good thing" category for me. poured jet black, but with a little head that faded pretty fast and left little lacing. as soon as it's out of the bottle your nose is scream ing chocolate. smells like tootsie rolls. taste is just overwhelming chocolate. that's all i get. it's ok, but so one sided as to come across as a very simplistic brew and doesn't do much more than beat you about the head and scream, "hey! i brewed this beer with cholocalte!!!" no way i could finish a pint of this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just going to have one beer tonight while working on some projects for the job.... Pulled this one out because I knew I wouldn't need to think too hard about it.

Poured at cellar temperature.. 1 finger dark tan head dies quickly leaving only one little drape of lacing... the brew is black but on the pour it looked a little thin.

Nose is artificial chocolate... reminds me alot of the Dremo's Donut stout... chocolate syrup....

Flavor is only minimally better.. tastes like a tootsie roll smells.... milk chocolate and dark battle back and forth with too much sweetness and not enough actual stout flavors to be enjoyable in my mind... lite roastiness is there, but in the background...

The body is a good medium full, yet the carbonation seems too fizzy...

Overall.... I can see how some people would really enjoy this one, but it is very artificial smelling and tasting... okay for sure, but it is going to take me a long time to polish off the bomber and I guess that is what I was looking for tonight.

Edit: Not sure who sent this to me... sorry... It is a year or so old.... it had the silkscreen labels that scrape off easily.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle, this beer pours black with a finger-thick eggshell head that settles very quickly. The aroma is pure chocolate, with a hint of coffee and some toast. The taste is sweet, almost cloying. Bittersweet chocolate? Tastes a bit more like Hershey's here. Other flavors given off are coffee, bread, and some fruity hops. This beer is thick, sweet, and is almost over the top. Definitely worth a try, but I wouldn't say more than once, unless you are serving it with dessert.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hops1337 for sharing this with me. The beer poured black, just like a big stout should, but had just a thin cap of head didn't feature much retention or lacing.

My big complaint about bourbon barrel aged beers is that the bourbon often overpowers the beer. The same is true with this brew, except that the beer is hidden behind chocolate. The first whiff was like opening a candy bar, and the beer scents never really showed through. The flavor was solidly beer though. The chocolate was still dominant, but the soildly made base beer showed through better.

The body was decent, a bit thin, but smooth and easy across the tongue. Drinkability is going to depend on how solid of a sweet tooth you have. I love chocolate but think I'd have trouble with a 22 on my own, this is a beer that cries out to be sold in 12s.

Overall, a beer I liked and will have every so often, but it won't make my regular rotation.

Poured into HotD tulip.
Pours nicely one finger brown head. Dark brown in appearance.
Smell precedes taste with, what else? Chocolate.
The chocolate taste at first is good - I like chocolate. Taste is of real cocoa chocolate slightly burnt.
Then I took another sip. And another.
And that was enough. Cloyingly sweet. Enough already.
This is not a beer I enjoyed after the initial couple of sips. Will save the rest to pour over vanilla ice cream.

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

This wasn't a terrible beer. Had a very strong "choklat" aroma. The body I felt started strong but slightly dropped off while soaking the palate. Very strong appearance with no head, no lacing really either. For the seven dollars that I spent on this beer and to add it to the tried list I didn't think this beer was a total flop. With some really good stouts I've tried recently this is not high on the list but certainly not last.

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Black. A dark tan head of one finger tops it off.

S: Pure milk chocolate. Not much else.

T: pretty much the same as the nose. Chocolate.

M: A bit thin. Some more body and smoothness would be nice. Carbonation is right on.

Overall: A one trick pony. Chocolate And not much else. Not very easy to drink. A chore to finish. A 12oz. Bottle would be nice. Definitely not something I would drink again.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

This beer was a nearly opaque brown, clear, with a half finger head. I tried shining an LED flashlight through it and almost nothing came through.

Aroma was all chocolate at first, sweet and sugary. The comparison I red below to Hershey's Syrup is a valid one. Roasted grains came through only when I went hunting for them.

Taste was of strong roasted grains, followed by a splash of bitterness. A burst of alcohol came through at the swallow, and the finish was faint chocolate with that lingering bitterness. The chocolate came through stronger when I took a much larger swallow, but the bitterness was much greater as well. Not a great trade-off.

Mouthfeel was much too thin for a double stout. It just didn't pull it together for me.

Drinkability gets low marks too. It was all I could do just to finish the bottle. Of course, since I can open my throat and drink a lot at once, and I was looking for a buzz, I managed to do it.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Thanks to mikecharley for this one. 22 oz bomber, split with my wife into 2 oversized snifters.

Pours very dark brown with brownish-red highlights. Only a small light brown head, but it is easily revived by swirling every few minutes. Minimal lacing.

Given the reputation of this one, it's no surprise that it smells well, chocolatey. Chocolate is definitely dominant, but plenty of dark roasted malt, a touch of coffee and maybe a hint of vanilla are in there, too.

Big chocolate flavors dominate, but it's not nearly as one-dimensional as I'd braced myself for. Other sweet flavors we picked out included toffee and vanilla, and the sweetness is kept in check by dark roasted malt, coffee, some earthiness from the Willamette hops and a nice sting of bitterness in the finish from the Chinooks. Not bad, really.

Mouthfeel is nice. Fairly full-bodied, with a distinct creaminess from the flaked barley and chocolate.

Drinkability's pretty good in spite of the sweetness. Each of us put down our half of the bomber with ease. Overall impression: Pretty nice dessert beer, and definitely more complex than anticipated.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours almost pitch black, only the faintest hints of brown/deep-red can be seen at the top edge of the beer when held to direct light. The head that forms is dense, deep-espresso in color and dissipates to a fine layer of head on the top of the beer. The smell is all over the place. I get some nice milk chocolate notes, with the glass sitting on the desk next to me, coupled with a light roasted character. Putting my nose up to the glass releases a chocolate aroma reminiscent of a nice sipping chocolate, sweet milk, and the faintest hint of some kind of roasted malt. This thing isn't messing around when it says it's "a stout brewed with chocolate." The first sip carries a bit more roasted malt to it than the smell, but a dark chocolate flavor quickly overpowers most of the roasted character. A milky sweetness coats the tongue, despite the slightly less than smooth mouthfeel of the beer. The roasted character sticks around after the sweetness has departed; a nice compliment to the milky sweetness at the start of the sip. There's still some stout characteristics buried under the sweetness, as evidenced by the nice roasted character. Truly a well-balanced approach to a dessert beer, as this would most certainly be if given the opportunity. Some spiciness sneaks through on the back of the taste, livening the overall flavor of the beer slightly. Warming only enhances these characteristics, taking it from a good beer, to a damn fine beer. Seriously, I could drink this over and over again. Chalk another one up to the guys over at Southern Tier.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from early 2009. Served in a pint-shaped Goose Island taster glass.

A - Pours with a late-rising dime of tan foam that sizzles quickly to a light haze. No ring or lacing on top of a very, very dark brown that is slightly lighter at the fringes.

S - Hershey's chocolate syrup, malted milk balls, chocolate icing. Incredibly sweet, without much else going on. Alcohol is well-hidden I guess. Bonus points for achieving what they set out to do.

T - Taste is less good, with lighter chocolate over top of a pretty bland stout base - not much in the way of roastiness or complementary flavors. Lots of residual dark chocolate and earthy bitterness, and a bit of booze as well.

M - Low carbonation, and a medium, slightly watery, body that seems a little thin for the ABV. I think a little more carbonation might have actually helped. There's also a bit of warmth after a while. Very sticky residual texture.

D - I'm glad I split this bomber with others, as I can feeling my heart rate accelerating. Drinking a whole bomber would probably result in the loss of a limb. I love the chocolate in a Hunahpu's, but this is a one-trick pony here.

3.44/5  rDev -19.4%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (January 26, 2010). No 'bottled on' date here.

Eyes: Pours a very dark chocolaty brown/black. One finger of fluffy brownish head forms and dissipates.

Nose: As advertised, it smells almost exclusively of chocolate. It smells how I'd expect dark chocolate milk to be. A hint of hops also?

Tongue: Dark chocolate again, but this time it's burnt chocolate with a distinct alcohol burn. Some burnt cocoa and soft vanilla are here also, but mostly the burnt chocolate. It's nice, but a bit too one dimensional for me.

Mouth: It's actually quite smooth until the alcohol makes it's appearance. Carbonation is very good however.

Libation: What a surprise, it's very chocolaty. I like the concept, but it just isn't balanced. The aroma is quite good, but it's just too much of a one trick pony. It certainly delivers the chocolate, but not a whole lot else.

3.44/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At the Mohawk House in Sparta, NJ. Into a tulip, it poured black with one finger of dark brown head, with good retention and lacing, and no carbonation. The nose revealed an intensely sweet chocolate smell, almost like Bosco chocolate syrup, along with a bit of anise and molasses. Dare I say, the beer smelled one-dimensional. The taste did confirm the one-dimensional aspect of the beer...tasting like dark chocolate M&M's...HOWEVER, it worked. I mean, with a name like 'Choklat', I didn't exactly expect a potpourri of flavors, and the intensity of the chocolate flavor worked. Just a little too sweet, though, and the finish was revealed the alcohol content in its entirety, with only modest dryness. Furthermore, the feel was thick and slick. Definitely a sipping beer, but I wouldn't recommend drinking this stand-alone; this beer screams out to be paired with a creamy dessert.

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured into a goblet from a 22 oz bottle. Dark, dark , dark! Thickish khaki colored head that disappears immediately.

Smell is all chocolate, almost overpowering. So overpowering that I thought I would not like the beer. More on that...

Taste is not as chocolatey as the smell portends. Very thick mouthfeel, which I like, but the sweet choclatey taste takes away from the mouthfeel. Tasting every bit of the 11% alc.

Drinkablility? Are you kidding? I wish I had someone to share the bomber with.

Overall, not bad, but as I said next time, I'll make sure there's someone to share.

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

A: its a black hole, creates about 1 fingers worth of dark tan/mocha colored head which diminished rather quickly

S: oh God. it has such a massively sweet dark fudge aroma that it makes me immediate regret opening this bomber up with no one else to share it with. I get nothing but immense fudge, a slight touch of vanilla and if I really pull for it, I get a slight molasses note.

T: nothing but straight up chocolate fudge brownies and coffee. also big bitter dark chocolate that makes the brew a bit more enjoyable because it takes away the richness of this brew, but this one is gonna be an epic challenge to finish tonight.

M: full bodied all the way. leaves a bitter dark chocolate note along with a subtle rich fudge note on the palate. it is what i would expect for a brew that has enough calories to cause hyperglycemia.

Overall, this one is just so damn rich. It tastes like its 5,000 calories (possibly an understatement). I have never had a beer this sweet and I feel that this one crushes Creme Brulee in richness. Having a pint of this one is more than enough, drinking a bomber welcomes diabetes.

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Had on tap at the Sunset Grille in Brighton MA.

Appearance: Squid ink like in texture and appearance as it swirls and sticks to the glass. Pitch black and syrupy with a small to medium head that leaves a collar. This beer has legs as it hits the glass.

Smell: Smells like herseys chocolate syrup to a T. Huge melted chocolate aroma rather than cocoa. Sweet but balanced aromas of chocolate, espresso and cappachino come to mind.

Taste: Overly sweet for my liking but balanced throughout. Huge kick of melted chocolate and bitter espresso on the back end. If the abv werent hidden so well i would drop this a whole point just because its a bit overly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Cloying and sticky. Doesnt hit the palate quite as thick as it looks, but its really just a dessert beer and i cant see anyone drinking a whole bomber of this stuff.

Drinkability: This would be a great dessert beer in a 6oz sample but otherwise its too over the top for me. I like how strong the chocolat flavor is and how it lives up to its name, but i cant drink more than 12oz of this stuff in a whole night.

Bomber at 45 degrees into snifter
Aroma of chocolate and roasted malt
Head small (2 cm, aggressive pour), light brown, fizzy/frothy, rapidly diminishing to 2 mm ring and broken layer
Lacing none
Body dark brown/black, opaque
Flavor of chocolate; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl; alcohol burn begins immediately after swallowing
Palate medium, creamy, fizzy

Appearance 4, Aroma 4, Flavor 3, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Black. Tan head. Swirling it around, it doesn't look too viscous.
S: Definitely smell the dark chocolate. Coffee. Roasted bitterness but not too much. Medicinal notes.
T: Licorice sweetness in aftertaste which I'm not crazy about. Chocolate.
M: Medium body. Low carbonation.
O: I like the chocolate flavor, especially in the aroma. However, the aftertaste has this weird sweetness that is off-putting.

3.47/5  rDev -18.7%

Growler to Snifter to get drunk quicker?

A: Lively chocolate liquid, with a small 1 cm water down coffee looking head. Head dissipated with some lacing intact.

S: Smells of sweet chocolate, scant hops.

T: Upfront it's nice a sweet and makes me want yell, "Mom I can get drunk off chocolate!" but before my excitement is heard, the chocolate gets bitter, unpleasant, and the sweetness dematerializes into anything buy sweet.

sweet face + a pungent ass.

M: Good body, that could have been heavier, slightly thin. The penetrating aftertaste hinders it from having a smooth finish.

D: Can you guys honestly keep drinking more than a 8 oz serving of this beer?

My taste buds don't agree on this one I guess. Good looking/smelling beer with marketing behind it. A lot of hype on this number.

My bottle says 11% abv.

A: Pours dark as night with 2 fingers of tan/off-white. The head dissipated fairly quickly to less than a finger, but remains fluffy for the duration. Foamy lacing coats the sides of the glass.

S: If you enjoy chocolate, this will smell heavenly to you! A strong aroma of sweet MILK chocolate (rare for most beer), hot coco, chocolate malts, chocolate cake... lots of chocolate! Hints of white chocolate too. Very sweet; liquid Hershey bar.

T: Roasted and chocolate malts, bitter espresso, and some (only some) sweet chocolate. Sadly, I feel the 11% alcohol dominates in the flavor a little too much. It's pretty hot and a strong boozy bite is apparent throughout each sip. Finish is just a little too bitter for my liking as well.

M: Pretty full bodied, but again the strength of the alcohol creates a slightly unpleasant bite and burn. It's not too bad, bot not great either.

D: After the aroma I thought this was going to be chocolate bliss in a bottle. Once I drank it, however, I was a little disappointed. I think this will benefit greatly from a year or two of aging. The alcohol taste just needs to mellow out a bit. As of the posting of this review, the listed abv of this brew was 9.1%. I wonder if vintages with this abv tasted better fresh?

Notes after aging for two years:

I put my other bottle of it away and decided to pop it tonight after letting it age for two years. The nose was just slightly oxidated with aromas of milk chocolate, tootsie rolls, and sticky molasses predominating. The flavor featured a lot of (unsurprisingly) chocolate, but a slight smokiness in the finish provided some balance. Suggestions of molasses, vanilla, and toffee lingered in the background. The 11% booziness has definitely died down in two years, but the brew is still very warming on its way down. Overall, I would say two years has improved the brew and it could probably benefit from even a few more years in the cellar.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a few of these from various people this past summer. Thanks to my friend Jill for surprising me with one, as well as to wfeddern and a mystery trader for bringing some bottles along for trade. We drank lots of this stuff by the pool. Thanks guys!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours out dark brown and shows and 1+ finger, noisy, medium looking, fluffy, light brown head with good retention. Black body with higher levels of carbonation evident for the style. Head slowly fades to a thin wisp, but only a ring remains, leaving some dots of lacing down the glass. An average looking imperial stout.

SMELL: Dark, pure chocolate. Perhaps some slight roasted notes and some slight hints of vanilla, but I’m searching a bit here. This is basically all dark chocolate. I like dark chocolate, so it’s an enticing aroma, but I also like some more complexity with my beer.

TASTE: Starts out a bit empty actually. A touch of roast and chocolate perhaps, but relatively mute up front. Flavors come out nicely after the swallow, however. Some roasted flavors, caramel sweetness as well, then lots of pure, dark chocolate. Flavors jump out, but then mellow out quickly. A mild aftertaste lingers nicely and is laced with bitter-sweet chocolate and a touch of heat. Not quite as bold as hopped, especially up front, and relatively one dimensional. Gets points for being very chocolaty.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation. Very creamy on the palate, goes down smooth with some decent heat on the swallow and finishes slightly sticky. A little less carbonation and heat would be nice. Good though.

OVERALL: Southern Tier is phenomenal at making their beers taste like exactly what the label says. Creme Brulee, Jahva, Pumpkin, etc., all taste as advertised. This one is no exception. This is basically a chocolate beer with a relatively hot imperial stout as a base. While I enjoyed a full bomber to myself, I do prefer a little more complexity in imperial stouts like this, which is perhaps why I like their blend Mokah a little more. Moreover, this one is a little lacking in flavor up front and could be a little bolder overall. A fun beer that I will eventually drink again, but not one I will be inclined to seek out. Thanks again for the bottles guys!

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Poured opaque black with a brown head. The aroma was like chocolate liquor with some peppermint patty. Think the chocolate came off very extract-ish in the flavor. I was still good, but it was just that one note. Medium/full body. Medium carbonation. Semi sweet finish. Syrupy.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company