1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)

fiedler84, Jun 03, 2012

halfshell, Apr 04, 2013

ajs4bd, Aug 20, 2012

Waveoff, May 26, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance - Very dark with a creamy mocha colored head.

Aroma - Dark chocolate dominates the nose.

Mouth feel - Full bodied stout with small bubble carbonation.

Taste - Bitter bakers chocolate with an alcohol finish.

Overall - It smells much better than it tastes. The bitterness of the dark chocolate is overwhelming and in my opinion ruins the experience.

praufs01, Dec 27, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -32.2%

A HUGE thanks goes out SBALDWIN for this controversial brew. I owe you one buddy!

I couldn't find a freshness date on the bottle, but did read a nice little snippit about the Mayans and xocoatl (ch-co-atle). Let's do this!

I poured it into an oversized wine glass despite wanting to pour it into the usual pint glass. The bottle told me not to...this bomber poured an opaque black with a thin brown head that bubbles and fades as fast as it took me to type this out. A little ring of brown creams leaves a minute amount of sticky lacing. This is one DARK brew!

I think I smell a Tootsie Roll...there are lots of super sweet chocolates in the nose. Smells spectacular! It's almost synthetic, however, which leads to some notes of oats and leather that make it through.

Where did the chocolate go? It's a malty mess with only a hint of burnt chocolate. I was expecting sweet and instead I get hit with this burnt, bitter, fakeness...from the supposed chocolate I presume.

The mouthfeel is way too thin for an impy stout. It seems they went a bit overboard on the carbonation too. It bites the tongue and holds it prisoner, and not in the good way either.

There is no way this can be percieved as drinkable. The alcohol might not be present, but the overwhelming power of the fake chocolate and burnt malts kills any chance of this beer being quaffed, let alone enjoyed in my book.

I wanted so badly to like (LOVE) this beer, I really did. I've just begun my imperial stout journey and this beer has got me a bit nervous. This brew was just too one dimensional for me. I was expecting chocolate cake in a bottle and instead I got a smellavision hologram with no substance...huge letdown. I might be stupid for saying this, but I am curious about it's cellaring prospects. I normally give a beer a second chance and unfortunately (or fortunately, it depends on the outcome) this beer is no exception.

BitterPachyderm, Jun 10, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -31.8%

A - tall dark tan head. A bit more Ted around the edges than I would expect from a chocolate imperial stout.

S - smells of a mix of chocolates. Quick mix mostly though, some expensive truffels, and a Hershey bar tossed on for good luck

T - actially, too much chocolate for me. I can not fault it for that though since that is what this brew is about. Multiple chocolate typemixed together in liquid form, with a mild alcohol finish

M - mild coating and only a slight alcohol burn in the throat.

D - not my bag, only as a potential "dessert wine" type of thing.

biglite351, Sep 14, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -31.1%

22oz bottle

Pours an inky black color with a small brown head. Nose of pure chocolate Tootsie Roll pops, not much else either. Its very impressive how aromatic ST got the chocolate character to be. Thick, dark bitter chocolate invades the tongue, initially this beer is very nice, creamy and semisweet, however, mid to late palate a huge bitter wave packing lots of alcohol heat totally catches you by surprise. Ive never seen a better bitter beer face on a few of my friends. The aftertaste of burnt chocolate malt lingers for quite a while. Full bodied, slightly coating, id had enough after my 4oz. serving.

ATPete, Dec 04, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -31.1%

This beer was recommended to me by a co-worker, so I was very excited when I had the opportunity to try it on tap at The Lower Depths in Boston.
Poured into a 12oz tulip glass, this beer was pitch black with a small off-white head. The head dissipated after a few minutes, but provided nice lacing all the way down.
Smell is of sweet chocolate. Not much else. The tiniest hint of hops is detected in the nose as the beer warms.
Taste is very sweet, intense chocolate. Something like chocolate milk, and (sorry, Southern Tier) about as complex. I didn't get much from this other than chocolate. That's fine if that's all they were going for, but I wish there was something else to this beer. A bit of alchohol? Some hop bitterness? After a while the sweetness gets to be a little overpowering. Too ST's credit, the alchohol is very well hidden. It isn't detectable in the nose or the taste.
Mouthfeel is thick, as a double stout should be.
I didn't find this to be very drinkable. With a tart desert it would be excellent, but on it's own I found it to be a struggle to finish the glass. Although I couldn't smell or taste the 11% alchohol, I could certainly feel it by the time I was done with this beer.

trumpetego, Jan 21, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours jet black with a thin tan head that was gone in an instant.

Smell is hershey syrup, a whiff of alcohol, and some roasted malt, but by far the dominance is the chocolate.

First sip is as if you mixed hershey syrup with vodka. You get some roasted malt in there, but chocolate dominates -- very strong. I looked for a sweetness and a bitterness, and there is a fine balance here. Sweetness is not sugary, but the sweetness of the malt. Finish is extremely clean, which is a great surprise, as I thought this would be cloying. You just get this light chocolate aftertaste.

A heavier beer that some carbonation -- not much - cuts through. A real sipper.

Drinkability. Have to be honest here, this is a very well made, carefully balanced brew that I half drain poured. Overpowering chocolate syrup flavor made this nearly undrinkable for me. Where's the beer? The boozy chocolate liquor aspect made this a tough one to get down. I could probably share a 22 0z bomber, but could not choke down the entire thing myself. Just my palate, but I'll never buy this again. I think I wasted $9.00.

OtherShoe2, Jan 17, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -29.9%

22oz bottle received in trade. Shared with Davey and a few others. Poured into snifter a Black that was lighter around the edges with a very minimal head and no laceing, very oily looking. Smell was Hershey's chocolate syrup. Taste was the same as the smell but some soy saucy flavors in there as well. I am not a huge fan of this beer. Mouthfeel was fairly thick and oily.

mugglesandhops, Jul 07, 2009