Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,475 | Hads: 4,779
4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

The beer pours a thick black with a very small brownish-tan head. Smells of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, hot fudge, and a hint of roasted coffee. Upon the first sip, I knew I was in for a real treat. The beer tastes of smooth chocolate. Not necessarily dark chocolate, but not milk chocolate. This is a chocolate flavor I have rarely tasted. The beer was brewed with fine Belgian chocolate. That's the taste. It's a great chocolate flavor. The roasted flavors are there, but just as an afterthought and balancing act. This is one very drinkable beer for the 11% ABV. I didn't even notice it at all.

I had this as dessert. It would pair well with ice cream. (665 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.2%

No date on bottle.

Appearance: Pitch black like any other imperial stout. Looks good.

Smell: Insane chocolate smell as I open the bottle before I even pour it into the pint glass. Smells like straight up Hershey's chocolate syrup with a touch of alcohol.

Taste - Like chocolate milk with a touch of alcohol. Super chocolate, slight hop bitterness to balance. The only thing I don't like is the slight alcohol taste (but I'm picky with this in any beer) but it's barely there.

Mouthfeel: Creamy

Overall: One of my favorite imperial stouts and in my top 10 beers. (570 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: Motor oil. Held this beer up to the light and could not see even a whisper of light. Dark as the inside of a cave. Jet black. Little to almost no head.

Smell: Chocolate. All chocolate. No hop aroma whatsoever. This nose is all chocolate.

Taste: Holy chocolate batman. Wouldn't change a thing about this taste. For the style, there isn't a single thing I would change about this. The darkest of dark beer thrusts upon the taste buds intense dark chocolate, no noticeable hops or yeast but excellent chocolate. This is a true dessert beer. Hell, give me this any day as a dessert and you can keep your cake. Although there is no lactose this comes across as a milk stout. The bittersweet Belgian chocolate used is the perfect compliment to the carefully chosen malts.

Mouthfeel: Very silky smooth mouthfeel. Nice heavy body complimented by a silkiness is the mark of a true artist. This is heavy, but it should be heavy. I don't think I could drink more than one of these but believe me one is enough, and in a good way.

Overall: What more is there to say? This is quite the beer. Although it is almost too sweet it is intense and complete. This reminds me of Mary Poppins: Practically perfect in every way. (1,224 characters)

bottle poured into an orval glass.

A - not quite "black hole" black, but pretty dark. as spinal tap might say, a "pastel black".

S - chocolate. dark dutched chocolate. really, just any permutation of chocolate you can imagine is here. cake, fudge, bar, even powder are all here. mouthwatering, this is.

T - a carbonated chocolate shake. not some foolish mcdonald's shake, either. no way, this is a double-chocolate ice cream with a ton of hershey's syrup sort of shake, with shavings on top. apparently this is 11% abv? i don't believe it, but i feel it a few minutes later...

M - a carbonated chocolate shake, like i said. it's amazing.

D - 11% abv be damned, this is amazing. it's a dream come true for stout and chocolate lovers. my favorite new brew of 2007, with a bullet. (782 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer is exactly what the label says...Chocolate (Choklat)!!

Like a liquid chocolate bar, it pours syrup like into the glass with the color of rich brown coco. Nothing but chocolate in the nose with no hint of hops nor the alcohol promised by the labeling. The head is beige, resembling the crema on a nice Italian espresso with the color like that of frothed milk chocolate.

The first sip explodes on the tongue with notes of caramel, chocolate (of course), and the subtle richness of roast malts. Bitter dark chocolate hints in the finish which lingers almost indefinitely.

Although ABV is listed at 11%, the alcohol is barely noticeable save for the warmth it provides those lucky enough to enjoy a snifter of this marvelous elixir. (746 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Black, opaque... almost cola like, with a small head that dissipates quickly

S - Cocoa nibs and Chocolate - go figgur. Vanilla.

T - Chocolate, malty, then hints of vanilla, finishing with hints of coffee. The finish sails on with this beer after you've tasted it - its crazy and reminiscent of how a fine red wine lasts. No hint of the booze in this beer... it will be interesting to see how this evolves as it warms up. This is a sipper you can enjoy for dessert.

M - Not oily at all... decent carbonation - somewhat delicate, which aligns with the flavor profile.

O - Wow. All I can say. Find this beer and taste. Double quick if you are into chocolate beers.

Tasted from a 22oz bomber into a Chimay snifter. (720 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A bit on the bitter side almost like a raw cocoa. Mokah I think does a slightly better job mixing the chocolate and bitterness. But still an excellent stout (157 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Served at cellar temp in my oversized snifter.

A: Pours jet black. Good sized creamy tan head that slowly recedes. Decent retention for an imperial.

S: Wow. Smells of decadent milk chocolate. A nice blast of vanilla mixes in there as well. Smells unbelievably awesome.

T: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Or should I say Choklat? A blend of good milk/dark chocolate. A touch of vanilla. Not too sweet, just right. Fricking decadent.

M: Ummm...awesome. Nice and creamy. ST really nailed it with the thickness. Carbonation is just right. Too much carbonation would totally change this. It's spot on.

D: I can't detect the alcohol hardly at all. Just a slight alcohol burn in the back. This one could be dangerous. Great beer. (729 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - Pitch black with a thin head. Don't even try holding this glass up to the light - you won't see through it!

s - Wow, actual chocolate. Not coffee. Maybe the scent is closer to chocolate syrup but I'll let it slide. Inviting.

t - Rich, slightly bitter, A touch of chocolate but I think you're really picking that up with the nose.

m - Medium body and a syrupy mouth coating.

d - A solid sipper. Good medium carbonation, slightly tangy finish to go with the bitter. Smells great and re-engages my interest with each raise of the glass. At 11% ABV I think you have to give it its due - even if one bomber is more than enough for one person.

I'm trying this as not much of a stout guy and after being disappointed by the predominantly bitter-coffee taste of Rogue's Chocolate Stout. For my money I'll take the Southern Tier any day. (837 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

a- opaque black, frothy light brown mocha head

s- cocoa, roasted coffee, slight alcohol

t- upfront some roasted coffee, and then WOW....strait up delicious black chocolate..unreal dessert beer..very slight alcohol sting..malt bomb here

m- sooo creamy, great mouthfeel

d- have to restrain myself from pounding this one (321 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

What an INTENSE beer. Each category is summed up with heavy chocolate. The second I popped the cap and started pouring, all I could smell was chocolate. Has a great thick stout feel and I really liked this, but it really tastes like a melted hershey bar. Glad I was able to share a bottle as I doubt I could've finished an entire 22 by myself, it's just soo sweet! If you're a hardcore beer person who dislikes extras, you will probably hate it, but if you're a stout and chocolate lover, then can't really miss. (512 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.2%

Tasted from a snifter

A - Very deep brown/black, no light breaks through this murky beast. I got very little head when poured from a bottle.

S - Dark chocolate aroma that reminds me of being in a chocolate store. A very sweet and thick smell with the faintest of alcohol.

T - Deep Choklat taste that lasts. A roasty malt finish with a slight bite, but not as much as would be expected for a high ABV.

M - Silky smooth, full bodied, and thick.

D - This would be a great beer to unwind with or couple with a nice dessert. (524 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

This beer pours pitch black and looks very thick like used motor oil. I poured it colder than recommended, so the head was minimal. (I like to pour imperials cold and let them warm as I sip.) The aroma is predominantly chocolate with hints of brown sugar or molasses and maybe coffee.

First flavor tasted is the chocolate, and it dominates the whole way down. There is a sweet, yet not cloying maltiness that really supports the chocolate plus a subtle burnt roastiness. The bitterness is appropriate for an imperial stout, however the variety of hops doesn't quite work for me. As the beer works its way toward the back of my mouth I get a strong sense of rotting grass clippings. It doesn't ruin the beer; it only makes it less than perfect for me.

The mouthfeel is wonderful. The carbonation seems a bit higher than other Imp stouts, but it goes well with the very thick, almost syrupy texture of the beer. It isn't often that I get to enjoy a beer with this kind of mouthfeel that isn't overly sweet.

I plan on picking up a few more bottles to cellar. I'm curious to see how age affects this beer. (1,104 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours almost entirely black, minimal head, good lacing.

Intensely concentrated hot cocoa aromas dominate the nose - incredibly appetizing. Perhaps a hint of vanilla and a touch of booze.

Toasty/roasty espresso flavors build on the pure chocolate. Sufficient bitterness and dryness, like an 85% cacao chocolate bar.

Thick but not overbearing. Minimal carbonation, which is not a real problem. Alcohol is very much in balance.

Much more drinkable than other ST dessert beers thanks to a lack of sweetness. Packed with flavor yet shows restraint. I can imagine a number of excellent pairings. (593 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Put this one in the "too much of a good thing" category for me. poured jet black, but with a little head that faded pretty fast and left little lacing. as soon as it's out of the bottle your nose is scream ing chocolate. smells like tootsie rolls. taste is just overwhelming chocolate. that's all i get. it's ok, but so one sided as to come across as a very simplistic brew and doesn't do much more than beat you about the head and scream, "hey! i brewed this beer with cholocalte!!!" no way i could finish a pint of this. (522 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Southern Tier has done it again, but even better. The black water series is a completely amazing line-up. This stout pours black with a very minimal brown head. The smell is simply amazing I don't want to take my nose away. Tootsie rolls, tootsie rolls, tootsie rolls. What else can I say. Taste is amazing as well, sweet chocotate bomb, as it warms, you can taste a nice earthy chicory bitterness at the front of your tongue, and a pleasant mild hop twitch at the back ofyour tongue. The mouthfeel is great as well, little carbonation with a nice thickness. Drinkability is amazing if you count how easy this is to drink, and disregard the fact that it's an 11 abv. Southern tier has mastered the stouts. Great job ST!!! A MUST HAVE!!!! (737 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to tprokop7 for this bottle...

A: A dark/black stout. Nothing exceptional, doesn't have legs on the glass the way some other stouts do. Small amounts of carbonation, a thin amount of light brown foam clings to the glass just to get the point across...

S: Easily the best aroma of any stout ever made (in my humble opinion). Smells predominantly of liquid tootsie-roll (if you can imagine). Liquid chocolate candy...

T: Doesn't taste quite as chocolate as the smell would suggest.... but close. Thick, rich, burnt, cofffie, malty, chocolatey goodness. This is what you get. The strongest chocolate flavor I've had yet in a stout...I like over the top beers, and this baby is over the top!

M: Decent body, thick, syrupy, but not extreme.

D: Drinkability is decent. Drink enough and you'll be burping chocolate. Thick and rich, 1-2 glasses will do you in for the night....but you'll have pleasant dreams... (915 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

Let me start off by saying wow- what a beer! I've had all the Founder's Breakfast's (Yes I mean Canadian, Kentucky, and Breakfast) and this beer gives them a run for their money.

Tulip, multiple times

A: Standard stout black, nice coffee colored head.

S: Amazing! Hersey's chocolate syrup. I also got some of that Cadbury, more caramel forward chocolate at the end.

T: Boom! Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate, and a little bite of booze. Seriously, this tastes exactly like Hersey's chocolate, but it's not cloyingly sweet, more of a dark chocolate finish leaving a slight bitterness.

M: Full bodied for sure!

D: You can't drink a bunch of them since they are 11% but I had two or three in a session over the past week.

If you see this on tap seek it out. I love imperial stouts but don't like the coffee aspect of most of them. This stays true to it's name. (863 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a snifter. Dark brown to black body with light mocha head.

Smells of fruit, chocolate and a hit of booze.

Tons of chocolate up front in the taste, some fruit, bit of espresso and that booze again the backend.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin and carbonated.

Overall, reminds me of a strong dark ale. I may have drank this one too warm for its liking because it got real boozy real quick. Will have to give it another try... (433 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a rich dark black with slight maroon highlights when held to the light. It produced a nice thick peanut-brown head which dissipated fairly quickly. The nose is all chocolate, it reminded me of a tootsie roll, very sweet smelling with some grain and malt as well.

The taste is very rich, smooth creamy chocolate sweetness with some roasty character from the malts and a slight hop bite that makes the chocolate experience seem slightly dark and bittersweet on the palate.

The mouthfeel is moderately robust with decent carbonation, it feels very smooth and creamy like a milk stout. Overall it is very drinkable, a bomber of this goes down easy. If you like chocolate, you'll probably like this beer. (708 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a snifter. Black, decent amount of carbonation, also not bad head retention for a higher abv beer.

Smells like... wooh wee that's choklat-ee! Smells like a candy bar. Beyond the awesome chocolatiness, some dark fruits - plums, cherries, more chocolate.

Everything you need to know about this beer is in the name. By far, the most downright chocolate beer I've ever laid my lips upon. Other than the explosive choklatiness, a small amount of malt and barley. Also a bit citrusy, due to a surprising amount of hops. The alcohol makes itself known, but it's moderate and it integrates incredibly well.

Mouth feel is full, creamy, nice amount of carbonation.

Choklat is indulgent and sinful. It's definitely a sipper, but if you've got the time to sit and enjoy this one, do so. It's incredible. (808 characters)

Super good stout. The nose is all chocolate. The draw is semi-sweet chocolate finishing with the smooth stout profile. Really like this profile of stouts. (157 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: The darkest brown possible with an off white head that reminds me of the foam on top of hot chocolate. Leave a light lacing that quickly slides down the glass to return where it began.

Smell: Pure chocolate no hops no noticeable malt.

Taste: There is the malt a full nicely roasted malt that defines any good stout intertwined with a mildly sweet chocolate that lingers long after the liquid is gone.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body smooth, rich and creamy.

Drinkability: I love this beer, it's not too sweet the alcohol is very subtle. A great dessert beer and one of, if not the, best chocolate stout I've had. Southern Tier makes another great imperial offering. I (678 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%

Bomber to snifter. At least 50'F.

A: Pitch black from what I can tell -- the lights are dim though. Tan head. Very thin. Dissipates quickly. I wish the head was creamier.

S: Chocolate. Very distinct chocolate smell. Maybe a little bit of roasted malt afterwards, but mainly it's all chocolate. Smells nice.

T: Chocolate - very distinct. Normally when I drink strong stouts, I get coffee way before I pick up on any chocolate flavors. This is all chocolate, more so than I've ever experienced before. After the chocolate is some roasted malts and bitterness -- and maybe a little bit of sweetness. I'm having trouble determining how much of the bitterness is from hops or from the chocolate ingredients themselves. Not much alcohol is coming through directly, but there is some warmth.

M: Medium to fuller bodied. Slightly creamy but definitely rich. This is nice but I've had imperial stouts that had a lot more creaminess and coated the mouth much better -- and allowed flavors to linger. Carbonation isn't too noticeable, but it's there.

D: Really interesting flavors. Not too complex. Pretty one dimensional, but a really strong theme. Alcohol is well harmonized and subtle -- was able to slug it back. Very smooth.

Good beer - unique. I bought a couple bottles. I'm going to have the second bottle with may Dad at our Christmas dinner, but I think I'd like to get another one and see what happens after a few months of aging. I'd like to see if some of the bitterness mellows out after 3-5 months. We'll see. (1,518 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Pours very dark, seemed black but had a reddish tint when held to the light. The head is thick dark brown, but doesn't linger. The nose is chocolate all the way, hints of alcohol but it's well integrated. The taste is much more mill chocolate than dark. The flavor comes close to being too sweet, but doesn't and finishes with a nice bitterness. It's quite drinkable, so much so that I had the whole bomber. The perfect long work day night cap. (444 characters)

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company