2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,812 | Reviews: 1,417 | Show All Ratings:
MightyCasey

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass.
A: Deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head
S: Loaded with chocolate. They named this one right.
T: Taste follows smell. I could drink a lot of these.
M: Creamy thick and lovely for a stout.
Overall, I liked it a great deal. I'm going back today to get some more.

04-30-2011 13:42:17 | More by MightyCasey
Deingeist

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

Perhaps I was expecting too much out of this beer as I have been doing a "Chocolate beer" tasting series, and there are others that are better. However, here's my take on it.

A- It looks sort of.. not boring but, not particularly amazing. Very dark brown, not at all transparent. Poured with a big bubbly head which diminished fairly quickly and left just a lacing on top.

S- The smell reminds me of tootsie rolls, sugar, and surprisingly cherry candy (not real cherry), and I happen to really dislike cherry candy but if you like it, you'll love the smell of this. However it has a strong aroma which is nice. NOTE: Drinking this beer while writing this, the cherry smell has given way to just chocolate/tootsie rolls as the beer sits.

T- The taste is similar to the smell but more complex, it's sweet and quite chocolaty but it's not missing the malt and hops, they just take the backseat and a molasses sweetness finishes off the sip. You can also taste the alcohol in there, but considering this has 11% alcohol, it's masked somewhat.

M- Fairly viscous and a bit oily. Somewhat syrupy but not the most sticky I've drank.

D - I'd rather have a Samuel Smiths but for something that seems to be almost overpowering it's not bad.

06-28-2010 21:48:03 | More by Deingeist
ImperialStoat

United Kingdom (England)

Wow, I do not understand this beer's 'A' rating at all.

Appearance: Opaque black, as you might suspect, with a minimal head that disappears almost entirely after a minute or so.

Smell: Powdered malt-drink (Ovaltine), generic chocolate, over-ripe bananas and some smoke.

Taste: Cheap milk chocolate and that's about it; not nearly as rich as I'd hoped and extremely one-dimensional. It's also nothing near as sweet as the various iterations of Bourbon County Stout.

Mouthfeel: Very thin for an 11% stout. After the initial taste of chocolate passes it's like swallowing water.

Probably the most underwhelming beer I've had in the last 12 months. What an absolute fucking disappointment. I bought a bottle of Oat at the same time so hopefully that's a little better, though I'm not optimistic.
Bah.

05-28-2011 23:04:24 | More by ImperialStoat
cfrobrew

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

a Dark as night. Pours thick with very little head, small ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass throughout.
s Like a chocolate bar, it smells like someone is melting chocolate for brownies.
t Slight malts flavor that gets pounded by a chocolate or cocoa flavor right away. Similar to a younges but much more enjoyable and smooth.
m The difference from the younges in that its not thin, this is definitely a stout. Great mouth feel.
o I really enjoyed it, great beer! Nice and dry, which is nice for a chocolate beer. Can hardly tell its 10% when its cold, comes out more as it warms up. Very very well done. Ill definitely have this again.

02-09-2013 20:36:57 | More by cfrobrew
Spectre

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A.Black with a tan head. Leaves a lot of lace around the glass.

S.Honestly smells like Nestlé Quick. Pure scent of sweet chocolate.

T.Milk Chocolate. Absolutely no flavor of alcohol.

M.Thick and smooth, goes down too fast to consume slowly.

Overall this is an incredible stout. I can see how some people would hate considering it doesn't taste like beer in any way but its still great.

02-21-2013 06:28:15 | More by Spectre
sudsface69

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Wholly chocolate!!! They certainly didn't skimp on this one. I have been meaning to try this beer for a while, so I finally went for it. Sticking my nose into the glass, I'm hit with chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. It's like a Hershey's bar in a glass. There are faint whiffs of dried fruit and a touch of alcohol, but mainly chocolate. I'm a little undecided on this one. I like chocolate stouts, don't get me wrong, but this one is SO chocolate filled that it's almost monotone. The other usual suspects in a good stout (the roasted coffee notes, the deep malts, toffee, etc) are simply overpowered by the chocolate. Also, what starts as a nice head, disappears, and there is little to no lacing. I richer head would be nice. The taste is also almost predominately chocolate. If I were blindfolded and someone told me this was a homemade chocolate soda, I wouldn't argue with them. An interesting try, and certainly a good beverage, but I couldn't rate this one as in the same class as some of the world class chocolate stouts like Rogue, Youngs, or Brooklyn.

12-14-2008 01:17:25 | More by sudsface69
SBALDWIN

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Smell was just like dark chocolate or hot cocoa.

Taste was almost like eating a Hersheys dark chocolate bar.

Drinkability is good as a dessert beer rather than a beer to drink while watching a football game.

Appearence was dark in color with hints of red in the lights at the bar.

12-20-2008 17:11:45 | More by SBALDWIN
MaduroMike

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Jet black, with a thin brown head with little retention.

S - Strong aroma of milk chocolate almost like a milkshake, but with a strong kick of alcohol.

T - Lots of chocolate and sweetness from the start with a good amount of alcohol to finish, but not overpowering. Well balanced considering the abv.

M - Silk and smooth. Very pleasing

D - Brings me back to when I was a kid drinking chocolate milkshake. Will most certainly have this again.

Served from a bomber poured into a pint glass.

01-11-2009 02:54:28 | More by MaduroMike
Itoclown

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Purchased three days before Christmas from Siciliano's in Grand Rapids. Consumed on January 26.

Look: Pitch black with hardly any head. There was a little head when the beer was first poured but left almost immediately.
Smell: As said before, it's like taking a bottle of Hershey's syrup and squeezing some air out and smelling it. That mixed with any typical imperial stout.
Taste/Mouthfeel: Soft on the tongue. Smooth. Definitely tastes like Hershey's. But I'd say it's got the bitterness of the cocoa and not the syrup. It's very thick and filling... Chocolate!

Overall/notes: Drinking this beer feels like you're having a dessert like a stout float with chocolate ice cream and syrup. It's smooth when you sip it but leaves a burnt chocolate/pure cocoa taste after swallowing. I'm not a big fan of this style of beer but I can see why it's so popular. It's really an interesting twist on this style. A fun beer for the beer advocate.

01-27-2009 04:13:10 | More by Itoclown
jongullotti

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

I have always loved to eat chocolate and drink a nice stout for dessert. I have also been searching for a long time for a chocolate or mocha stout that would make me just as happy and I hadn't found it until now. I bought all I could find.

Beautiful very dark brown color.
Deep, sweet chocolate aroma. I could smell the chocolate before I could smell the beer.
The taste was a revelation for me (see above paragraph.)
Smooth, silky, sweet, barely carbonated mouthfeel.

Great job ST Brewing! You have broken new ground with this one!

01-26-2008 21:48:02 | More by jongullotti
BACTAdam

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

First let me begin by saying I am not a fan of most Southern Tier products. That said, Choklat is easily one of the best beers I've EVER tasted. This brew, while not the most complex beer in the world, is exactly what the name implies. If you like chocolate, it's not possible to dislike this beer!

Pours pitch black but not particularly heavy with a very thin, bubbly tan head. The smell is all chocolate, dark chocolate with a tinge of alcohol. The taste, well, what can I say? It's like drinking a melted quality semi-sweet or dark chocolate bar (think Lindt or Godiva). This is serious chocolate!! It's that simple yet incredibly wonderful. It's only slight downfall is it's not the type of beer you're going to be drinking a lot of but isn't that the case for most extreme or big beers?

02-04-2008 03:04:14 | More by BACTAdam
jamesdantes13

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Dark brown brew, almost black. Pours a decent head that dissipates quickly.

Smells of lightly sweetened dark chocolate with very light coffee aromas in the background.

Dark chocolate dominates the palate with subtle coffee/roasted barely flavors. Finishes with a little bit of fruit flavors and goes down smooth for 11% ABV, however, the alcohol is still very present. Mouthfeel is creamy, lightly carbonated, and medium-bodied.

This is the strongest chocolate smelling/tasting beer I've had (SA Chocolate Bock, Rouge's Chocolate Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, and Young's Double Chocolate Stout).

02-06-2009 05:20:53 | More by jamesdantes13
holden303

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Big thanks to OregonSkiBum for this one!

2010 vintage. Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours as dark as it can get with a finger or so of off white head that dissipates quickly leaving a ring around the edges and a few continents of head throughout.

S: Chocolate bomb, milk chocolate, hot chocolate, hershey's syrup.

T: Wow the amount of chocolate on this is amazing. I've never experienced a beer with this much chocolate. It's like drinking chocolate milk with carbonation.

M: Slight carbonation, little thin for the style but still nice.

O: On my first glass and am really enjoying this beer, a little worried it may be too much to drink by myself, just too sweet, (I'm don't have much of a sweet tooth) but for now it's excellent. I'd definitely recommend trying this, and more so sharing.

05-20-2011 03:01:56 | More by holden303
cragus

Ontario (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a completely opaque black with a rapidly dissipating tan head and no lacing.

S-Smells strongly of dark chocolate with just a whiff of alcohol.

T-A slight spice from the alcohol makes itself present along with the primary flavour of rich chocolate. A bit of roasted nut and vanilla is present as well, but the chocolate really dominates the taste.

M-Viscous without particularly much carbonation. It feels like it coats the mouth and never quite leaves.

O-Delicious. This is not a particularly complex beer, but it's rich, strong, and very tasty.

10-01-2011 00:20:21 | More by cragus
alexk307

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

2013 22 oz Bomber.

A: Silky black with no head or lacing.

S: Sweet chocolate mixed with vanilla and marshmallow. Reminds me of a bad vanilla porter. Kind of nauseating.

T: Tastes much better than it smells. Starts off super sweet with chocolate and vanilla but ends off with a solid imp stout.

M: Full bodied and thick. Usually chocolate stouts end up tasting more like chocolate porters to me but this lives up to it's name.

O: A great beer. Would buy again.

01-12-2014 19:05:46 | More by alexk307
Plenum

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Wow. Talk about a chocolate brew. This one starts on the nose, and lingers on the palatte long after each sip. Jet black coloring, little carbonation, almost no lacing. This is the most chocolate in a beer that I've ever had--I loved it. Agree with some previous posts, almost too sweet, but I'll also be back for more of this one. And the 11% abv is really well hidden. Probably my favorite brew from Southern Tier to date. Nicely done.

12-15-2009 13:42:10 | More by Plenum
meich75

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Very dark, thin caramel colored head.

S - Chocolate, chocolate, with a hint of chocolate.

T - By far the most chocolate I've ever had in a beer. Very rich dark chocolate, especially in the aftertaste.

M - Very smooth and creamy, light carbonation.

D - Seems impossible that this is 11% with how sweet it is. This beer should be served as dessert, it's like drinking chocolate cake that is covered in dark Belgian chocolate.

06-09-2010 11:41:51 | More by meich75
JimLetson

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 22-oz. into a snifter.

Appearance - thick, heavy, black. The head is the colour of light brown sugar, is thin, and recedes quickly, leaving a few small bubbles around the side of the glass.

Smell - incredibly strong chocolate smell with fruity notes, both fresh summer fruits and raisins. Malt, too, a little, but wow, that's a lot of chocolate! I'll drink it, but I could go on sniffing this beer all evening and still be happy.

Taste - Jesus, that's a lot of chocolate! There is black malt roastiness in the finish, and some alcohol. but apart from those it's chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate. Good, dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel - the first sip feels like a Frosty that's been allowed to sit until it's half-melted. Not bubbly at all, and the tactile thickness is even bigger than what you see in the pour.

Drinkability - this will take me a good long time to finish. It's big, very big, and while it's certainly not a bad thing, but it's not something to casually toss back.

12-29-2010 23:01:13 | More by JimLetson
Hab11

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled from a 22 oz. bomber. Color is black at night with a creme brûlée colored head. Smell is a cross between Hershey's original syrup and Smucker's chocolate candy shell. There is also a slight Mexican spicy hot chocolate undertone. Definitely feel the bitter chocolate upfront that surrenders to the sweet and finishes to a cream on the tongue with a almost numbing zestiness on the gums. As far as tast goes this is where my only complaint comes in an it's not really a complaint. After a few sips it builds with sweetness. I would have to drink this as a desert beer and don't think I could have more than one. With its high alcohol content I would definitely need a ride home if out. For its style it's spot on but I wish it were a hair more relaxed with the sweetness and the Abv so that I could enjoy more than one in a sitting.

02-09-2014 00:44:23 | More by Hab11
EvoRich

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Been meaning to try this. Chocolate stouts aren't something I really seek out. But I've heard good thing. While I was getting some creme brûlée, I figured I give this stuff a try.

Look: Poured in a snifter as suggested. Not much head. I blame myself. My pour was too slow and safe. Otherwise it's as dark as anything. Swirl the glass and you can get a Carmel colored head to appear. Edit: Yes, poured another glass a bit more aggressively, and produced a nice, fluffy caramel colored head.

Smell: Here's a shocker.... Chocolate! A bit of alcohol smell, but mainly just chocolate here.

Taste: At first sip I was surprised at the presence of alcohol. I've had beers with the same or higher ABV with no alcohol present. I don't mean to make this sound like a bad thing. The chocolate flavor is very strong, as I assumed it would be. Very little bitterness. Only bitterness is a slight coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick, just as a stout should be.

Overall: As mentioned, I've never seeked out chocolate stouts. I've had many. Many that get great reviews. I've always thought they were good, both nothing amazing. This is the first one that makes me feel different. Best chocolate stout I've had so far. Probably the best I'll ever have.

04-05-2014 00:57:45 | More by EvoRich
jkane101

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours like a typical stout...black with a good tan head that recedes quickly.

This, my friends, is where typical ends!!!

The scent of chocolate is abundant complimented with hints of coffee...wonderful. I thought...this is gonna be good. I have to say I'm blown away at how smooth and creamy this is. A fantastic chocolate delight with just a hint of a hop bite at the end.

My words could never do this beer justice; it has to be sampled to be appreciated. I'm thrilled to death to have several more bottles.

04-09-2008 23:34:28 | More by jkane101
lessthanhadley

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Dark black beer, no light comes through when held up to the light. A nice tan head upon the pour and a thin lacing remains throughout.

S: Smells of chocolate with a hint of alcohol, plain and simple, no real other words to explain it.

T: Taste like chocolate syrup mixed with hops as my father who has no interest in beer at all put it. As unsophisticated as that sounds I think its actually pretty spot on so I am going to go with it.

M: Lightly carbonated, somewhat bitter to the tongue (as should be expected from a beer this heavy on chocolate)

D: A deffinite dessert/post dinner sipper beer.

01-12-2009 01:21:18 | More by lessthanhadley
xpoweruser

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Extremely dark ruby red color, looks like black. Very nice dark brown head.

Aroma: Strong milk chocolate, amazing. Some roast and floral hops come through, maybe a bit of coffee, but it's dominated by the chocolate aroma.

Taste: Amazing milk chocolate flavor like no chocolate stout I've had before. Underneath all that chocolate there are some stout characteristics, like roast, dryness, coffee and a touch of hops. Some alcohol is noticeable, but it does not overwhelm.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth mouthfeel, very full-bodied, amazing. Great carbonation.

Drinkability: One of the best chocolate stouts out there! Most chocolate stouts only have a slight chocolate character to them, but this brew takes it to a new level. This beer is the real deal, top-notch brew!

01-12-2011 04:11:41 | More by xpoweruser
Luvzsurfrz

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

22oz bottle shared by TJensen3618.

A: Pours dark (brown/black) with an amazing frothy, tan head that takes some time to dissipate.

S: Smells overwhelmingly like a dark chocolate Hershey bar, both sweet and roasty. One of the best smelling beers I've come across.

T: Tastes like an amazingly rich chocolate bomb that explodes in your mouth. Also, notes of cocoa and mocha, that become more malty as you drink it.

M: Less creamy, a little more dry as is consistent with the darker chocolate taste. Goes down smooth, great aftertaste.

O: Overall, is as credible as its' reputation. Lived up to the hype. I cannot wait to get my hands on another bottle!

05-08-2011 04:16:30 | More by Luvzsurfrz
lostandwandering

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A- Pours an impenetrable black. There is a very thin mocha colored head that fades quick. No real lacing to speak of.

S- A lot of chocolate hits the nose upfront. There's a little bit of maltiness in there and a slight hint of alchohol.

T- As advertised and expected, chocolate is the first thing that comes cross. It tastes like a cold of hot chocolate, rather sweet. Moving across the tongue, you can pick up the chocolate malts. Almost no bite of alcohol despite the %.

M- Medium body. Not overly thick or heavy. Decently carbonated. Didn't notice the heavy creaminess that others have noted. I can't find a date on the bottle, so mine might be a little older.

O- Really like this stout. Would serve as an excellent beer with desert or as one on it's own. Wish I could find more sourther tier offerings by me.

08-15-2011 01:15:17 | More by lostandwandering