Follow our progress ...

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,556 | Ratings: 5,119
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I was served this beer, I was actually expecting a different beer altogether so the amount of chocolate flavor absolutely floored me. With each subsequent taste I couldn't believe how much I was enjoying this beer. It's got an incredibly creamy texture and the most amazing chocolate flavor. Almost like a chocolate mousse as a friend who I was sharing it with noted. This beer was a pleasure to drink.

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%

This my second beer from Southern Tier and I am excited to try this because unlike my first beer from them, Creme Brulee, I like chocolate and don't like Creme Brulee so here we go:

Pours black as all stouts pour. Whatever lacing there is goes away as quick I can swirl the glass without spilling anything. Smell of cocoa and taste of cocoa and alcohol burn. If it weren't for the alcohol burn I'd forget I'm drinking an 11% beer and I would think I'm drinking a chocolate shake. The chocolate lingers but it isn't so sweet to the point it's undrinkable like the creme brulee was.

If you're looking for a beer and a sweet treat as well, give this a shot. It might just satisfy your sweet tooth and get you drunk at the same time.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

This exceptional beer reminds me of a chocolate Bosco milk shake. A very thin head reveals the lack of carbonation in this beer. The first aroma that hits you is the chocolate Bosco syrup. The thickness in the mouth and the heavy chocolate flavor brings me back to the chocolate Bosco milk shakes I would have as a kid. It was on-tap at Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT. According to my taste this is one of the best beers made.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

Looks like...chocolate. Dark chocolate. With a creamy tan head that stays longer than expected for a beer so high in alchohol. Nice amount of lacing as well.

Smells like hot chocolate with a hint of coffee. Sounds like an oxymoron but theres also hints of vanilla in there. Doesnt really smell like "beer" except for the slight roasted maltiness but still smells delicious.

The taste at first is a powerful chocolate taste with a little booziness and subtle spice. The chocolate taste does linger between sips but not so refined and I have to admit, it is a little artificial tasting.

The mouthfeel is a lot lighter than I expected it to be. Not necessarily "crisp" with carbination but not as smooth and silky as I had hoped. Could use a little more body for sure.

Overall this is great beer to try at least once. For those that enjoy a dessert beer, this is a must. Its enjoyable and easy to drink considering how high the abv is. If only the texture was a little thicker and the flavors were more natural this could be an A/A+ beer. Almost want to throw a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and make it a float!

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to jcb890 for this one,

A- Hard pour with a nice tan head that disipated quickly, slightly oily looking, and pitch black in color.

S- Holy CHOCOLATE, this beer actually smells like real chocolate. I have never smelled this much chocolate in any beer..

T- Good, once you get by the great chocolate flavor it is you common stout stuff, little coffee and such.

M- Good, fairly viscous but not as thick as the OAT version which i just had prior, does a fair job of coating your mouth.

D- Extremely easy to drink as was the OAT which is why i had both in one sitting. Smell and drinkability are where this beer prevails.

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

22oz bomber served in a Sam Adams glass. Thanks to mikesgroove for this one.

A - Pours thick and dark black. Nice tannish brown head that fades to a small layer leaving a coating/lace on the glass

S - Actually reminds me of Chicago. The smell is similar to when the wind is right and you can catch wiffs of the Blommer Chocolate Factory. So anyway, big cocoa powder smells. Like a freaking Hershey bar. There is a bit of alcohol in the back too.

T - Wow, okay... This is a desert beer for sure. Tastes like a rich chocolaty, boozy concotion. I don't know if I have had a beer that tastes quite like this. Similar to the way some fruit beers cover up the "beer" flavor the choco dominates the normal stout flavors.

M - Smooth and creamy all the way. Coats the mouth well.

D - Now this is a good beer, but the second half of the bomber was hard on my own. This beer NEEDS to be shared.

Overall, this is a very good stout. It is more of a dessert beer so keep that in mind. This beer is a chocolate lovers wet dream.

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Wow.
Chocolate.
Poured from the bomber to an oversize pint glass, a dark brown with a very small tan head that immediately vanished.
The smell was chocolate, with hints of chocolate, and, as my wife said, chocolate.
Taste was, uh, chocolate. I half expected Willie Wanka to tap my shoulder while I was enjoying this. Somewhere in there is 11%, but I didnt notice it.
This is a very smooth, very easy drinking beer, and very tasty. Its hard to justify almost ten bucks for a bottle, and Im not sure this one is worth that, but it came recomended by Kendo. I easily could have had a second, but the other one is going into the cellar until next year.

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Thoroughly enjoyed this one with Pleepleus. Fantastic representation of the style.

A - Pours a very dark chestnut brown with a thin beige head. No lacing.

S - Tootsie roll. 'Nuff said.

T - Lots of candy chocolate (tootsie roll) flavor up front that gave way to a more complex and dark chocolate. No coffee undertones in this stout, which is a pleasant surprise. Roasted malts and a faint caramel sweetness in the finish.

M&D - This was a smooth and creamy full-bodied stout. Nothing boozy about this 11.0 ABV beer. Highly drinkable and deliciously decadent. Definitely a great dessert beer. Let it sit out for 5 minutes before you drink it and enjoy in the proper glass (snifter).

Pick this up if you see, or, actually, make a special trip out and find this beer. It's worth it if you like this style.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Founder's snifter

Pours black with thick bubbly head. Large bubbles surround the glass. Head quickly dissipates. Appears to have moderate carbonation.

Smells of a Hershey's chocolate bar followed by a double fudge brownie. Incredibly sweet and rich aroma. Has a slight bitter hop finish, but it's subtle. I dare someone to find a beer that has a greater chocolate aroma.

Tastes of pure chocolate goodness. Amazing cocoa flavor with a touch of bitter hops in the finish. The alcohol burns, but is well covered by all the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is creamy and heavy as a result of all that chocolate. Very rich with medium carbonation. Because it's so rich and sweet, one to two glasses is more than fulfilling.

Overall, this is beer can be classified as liquid beer chocolate. It makes for a perfect desert beer and is worth seeking out, especially for chocolate lovers.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

Well after a 2-0 betting Saturday against Fat Steve . I treated myself to a bottle of this sweet stuff . Poured into my Spaten mug the color is as black as a hockey puck . There is a nice fudgy , coffee colored head . As for aromas this maybe the most aromatic beer I have ever had . Tootsie Rolls and Chocolate Pop Tarts is what comes to mind . The flavor is of bitter baking chocolate and it is a tad overpowering . There is a burn at the end but one bottle is enough for one sitting . Good but not great .

Oh and Tampa Bay stunk up my parlay today too ..

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Southern Tier does seem to come full force with their flavor and that can be hit or miss.. I think this one is a huge hit I must say. This is not "a little chocolatey" or something with a hint of chocolate.. this is bigtime chocolate flavor in a glass.

A - Pours a really dark black and looked a little thick which is what i like. not much of a head or lacing but otherwise it looked really good in a tulip glass.

S - This is where this thing takes the cake you can say. Wow when you smell this you get hit with a big blast of chocolate. i couldn't wait to drink this once i smelled it. Reminds me of their pumking as the smell was so great and delicious.

T - Holy crap this thing is a chocolate bar. There is not much else to say. I didn't taste the alcohol at all. I know many people have said this and i totally agree that you don't need to pair this with anything. I also think you could absolutely hate beer but love chocolate and you will be a fan of this beer. I truly enjoyed this beer.

M - take a sip and let it just sit in your mouth and you'll be taken aback at the immense chocolate flavor this leaves behind. Smooth and creamy and chocolate...

D - Okay it is great and i loved it; however, this is not something i would drink often. and i wouldn't even want a whole bomber myself as this is great to share with some friends as it truly is a dessert beer. i will definitely seek this one out again. i think my wife might even like to try this one someday.. this is a definite "A" beer in my book and a great job by southern tier!!

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz Bomber
1/11/14

Amazing smell of chocolate and caramel. Light carbonation. Very dark brown/black.
Thick/heavy bodied with just enough bitterness.
This is one of the best chocolate stouts I have ever tried. The only negative is that there is no
way that I could finish a bomber on my own. With the amount of sweetness and the heaviness, I wish this came in a 10 or 12oz bottle.

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

If you dont like chocolate beers or even chocolate in general please do not review this beer...
When a beer's name is Choklate I expect it to be a chocolate dominated beer and my god does this not dissapoint. Pours a solid opaque with an average tan/brown head. This beer is very forward on the chocolate. Smells and tastes like a tootsie roll but with a subtle roasted, dark, chocolate finish and a whiff of the bittering hops. (chinook and willamette). Creamy body, 11 percent alcohol is non existent unless you stand up. This beer was a delight to drink from start to finish...is it a session beer? Not even close. Along with dark lord this beer has its small place in the beer drinking world set. Have with a dessert or as a dessert by itself or better yet with a cabernet or hearty shiraz. Just joking on that last one. All in all not for the faint at heart this beer is a hearty imperial stout with a chocolate level that as far as i know has been unreached. Think a double rogue chocolate stout. Grab 2 if u can get it and thats 3 for 3 for southern tiers black water stouts. Well done.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

Drank this with my good friend William Pang (Queens, NY).

This brew pours a very solid dark, dark brown, with a thin tan head and very nice lacing all the way around.
The smell is absolutely fantastic. At first it is complete chocolate, but that gives way eventually to a roasted malt scent and alcohol bite.
The taste contains a lot of alcohol. It almost overpowers the nice, thick chocolate taste, but not quite. After the chocolate subsides there is a definite roasted, toasted flavor from the malt in the background.
This beer is very thin in the mouth. Unlike most beers of this variety, this one's strong chocolate profile does not leave it thick and unbearable.
Overall, a very good tasting and smelling beer. Somewhat more alcoholic tasting than I prefer, but still a good beer. I wouldn't recommend trying to drink more than one at a time, however.

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

The aroma is very heavily chocolate, with undertone of malt. The taste is very well balanced, and surprisingly the alcohol doesn't overpower the chocolate and malts. The after-taste is very pleasant. The body is quite full, and this is a very drinkable stout. Overall, very enjoyable.

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

Served in a snifter a couple weeks ago at Fatheads.

The appearance was very much black with a very thin tan head that quickly faded to a mere ring, but still managed to leave some lacing.

The smell; it was exquisite! Being a dark chocolate fiend, I quickly fell in love with this beer! Dark chocolate all the way with hints of roasted malts and alcohol.

She tasted even better than I could have possibly imagined. Sweet chocolate dominated, with some vanilla and a slight flavor of dark roasted barley and coffee at the finish.

Exceptional mouthfeel. It was quite thick and had perfect carbonation.

The drinkability of this is not quite perfect, but is an exceptional sipper. The only thing that would have made this experience any better would have been a sampling of dark chocolates. Yet another excellent offering from Southern Tier!

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Delicious, decent head, though it was fast retreating.

Smell: Cocoa all the way, with the faintest whiff of alcohol.

Taste and Mouthfeel: I'd been waiting for this beer for a long time and it lived up to the hype as the 'chocolateyist' beer ever. It was delicious, a chocolate beer through and through, and the 11 percent alcohol was only evident in the effect not the taste. My only complaint was a lack of depth, perhaps some nutty flavors or a touch of coffee or roasted barley. But just the element of surprise is now a very difficult feat for me and this one did it, worthy of the title of extreme beer.

Drinkability: Awesome, though it is borderline cloying, and high in alcohol and would be in need of a good pairing, anything that goes with chocolate would do quite nicely.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

This beer truly replicates Belgian dark chocolate. Pours very dark with minimal carbonation and head. Nose is very aromatic, dark chocolate with strong vanilla overtones. Flavor is distinctly Belgian chocolate, smooth but with a dry, slightly bitter aftertaste. The only shortfall is that it isn't as thick and creamy as one would expect for the fullness of flavor. The light-ish body, though, may contribute to how drinkable this is.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

Poured in a 9 ounce tasting tumbler, number 3 in a series of tastings for the 2010 Holiday.

A- Black, thick black with syrupy texture. Paper thin lace in leiu of head.

S- Dark, semi-sweet chocolate is very forward in the nose of this brew, followed by malt.

T- Chocolate! But more of a dark chocolate (less sweet), with a hint of caramel and a very slight note of vanilla.

M- Flatter, but still smooth and silky which makes up for the lack of bubbles.

D- I like "Mokah" the best so far in the Southern Tier Blackwater Series, but this is a very close 2nd for a chocolate stout. Very drinkable, but I'd like to age this a year or two to take the edge off the alcohol note.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Pours a dark black color with a thin caramel colored foam head. Has an aroma of roasted malt and chocolate, perhaps some hints of caramel. Has a... surprise... rich chocolate taste. Starts sweet. Then the bitters hit, with the light carbonation halfway through. Then has a velvety chocolate finish, that gently lingers perfectly. Very tasty. Thickens nicely as it warms to really balance it out.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

A- 4 Choklat pours a very dark brown (borderline black) with a 1/4" dark khaki head. The bubbles are varied in size (edit-they become more uniform as time passes). There is a relatively small amount of lacing. Overall, this stout looks pretty good.

S- 4.5 Like you'd expect, there's a strong aroma of chocolate and cocoa right up front in the nose of this one. It reminds me of chocolate milk, or even more so, hot chocolate powder mix. I can detect a hop bitterness just barely mixed in also. It is very slight. This aroma has to be what ST was seeking! Very nice.

T- 4.5 This tastes just as good as it smells in a little bit different way. It is a bittersweet (I'd assume from the hops) chocolate that has a little heat/booze behind it, which wasn't detectable from the aroma, but I like that because it reminds me that I am drinking beer and not chocolate milk... The dark malts are present but not as up front as the chocolate. This is a very good-tasting chocolate brew.

M- 4 Choklat is just above medium in body. It has a good carbonation level. It coats the mouth well despite not being as thick and creamy as I would've expected. Still, a good smooth feel to it.

D- 4 I really enjoyed the Choklat experience; it is as much of a pure chocolate-tasting brew that I've had. (Young's Double Chocolate Stout comes to mind, but it's been awhile so I'll have to compare again to be sure.) The beer is not the most balanced in the world because of the choco-domination, but it works just fine. I wouldn't want to have more than a bomber of this, but I certainly wouldn't pass it up. This is the second offering I've had from ST (2X IPA), and so far I'm very impressed!

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Pours a pitch black color with a large, creamy, dark tan head. Excellent retention and lacing. Smell reminds me of straight up chocolate milk. Not much beer aroma going on with it, I would swear it's chocolate milk if I were blindfolded. Taste definitely follows suit. There is bitter and sweet chocolate notes right up front. There is some lingering alcoholic notes and a bittersweet finish. Medium carbonation and full bodied. The beer's finish is long a sweet. This is definitely one of my favorite flavored Imperial Stouts, definitely recommend giving it a try if you can get it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Pitch black and opaque. An aggressive vertical pour yields a finger of tan head that seems to hang about a decent while.
Smell: Milk chocolate, dark malt, dark fruit and a hint of floral notes.
Taste: Lactic acid, fresh coffee, coco nibs, Dutch process coco powder, raisins and prunes.
Mouthfeel: Acidic, tingly, medium body and slightly creamy
Overall: High marks across the board. Not my favorite chocolate stout but in my top three.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a pitch black with a nice creamy head, typical of stouts. The smell is immediately dark chocolate. Taste is heavy on the roasted malts, very heavy bordering on burnt. The chocolate is pronounced and very heavy. Mouthfeel is incredibly chewy, the high ABV is so prevalent that it almost changes the texture. Aftertaste is a bit intense due to the extremely high ABV. Drinkability is notched down just a smidge and I can't believe I'm saying this but it's mainly due to the overwhelming presence of alcohol. Still tremendously delicious though.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed this bad boy in a snifter.

APPEARANCE

As with most Imperial Stouts, this guy is jet black. The head was just a pinky - it was a nice mocha-brown color, and it disappeared fast. How dark was it? I can tell you that it will stain a perfectly good Founders T-Shirt - I know from experience!

AROMA

As you'd expect, the biggest aroma is CHOCOLATE! Bittersweet chocolate to be exact. Very sweet in the nose, it had a nice big malty presence. There was just a smidge of coffee, and a little bit of burnt sugar, caramel, and toffee. There was also a slight boozy smell from the alcohol.

TASTE

Once again, the biggest flavor was CHOCOLATE! Go figure. This is certainly not just a chocolate bomb, however... It had lots of roasted malt and a little big of a grainy taste. It wasn't over-the-top sweet (like the Crème Brûlée from Southern Tier. There was a little alcohol heat. I even tasted a hint of citrus flavor, as well as a medium amount of bitter coffee (but not as much as other imperial stouts I've had). There was a chocolate syrupy taste, but after it warmed up it kind of mellowed out and blended with the other flavors.

MOUTHFEEL

Big ol' stankin sticky sweet stout! It was fairly creamy, but not quite as smooth as other stouts I have had (in comparison, the Oat stout made by Southern Tier was very smooth). This beer was very warming due to the high alcohol.

OVERALL

This is another one of the big ol' stankin stouts made by Southern Tier. Like the other ones, this beer would be a great after-dinner beer or night cap, especially in the winter. Break this beer out on Christmas Eve and you'll be ready for bed in no time. Really great stuff!

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company