Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,480 | Hads: 4,827
4.39/5  rDev +2.3%

A-Poured without any head. Very dark color. Black and brown near edges. Completely opaque.

S- Smells like chocolate, no surprise. Very sweet smell-very delicious. Slightly malty smell.

T-Strong chocolate taste. A bit smokey/coffee after taste. Not extremely bitter. Very light malty taste, with fairly strong alcohol taste.

M- Medium thickness, which seems light for a stout. Some carbonation, fairly strong alcohol burn.

O-Delicious smell, like fine chocolates. Taste is pretty good too. Not too heavy for a stout. A very nice beer. (539 characters)

Super good stout. The nose is all chocolate. The draw is semi-sweet chocolate finishing with the smooth stout profile. Really like this profile of stouts. (157 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: The darkest brown possible with an off white head that reminds me of the foam on top of hot chocolate. Leave a light lacing that quickly slides down the glass to return where it began.

Smell: Pure chocolate no hops no noticeable malt.

Taste: There is the malt a full nicely roasted malt that defines any good stout intertwined with a mildly sweet chocolate that lingers long after the liquid is gone.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body smooth, rich and creamy.

Drinkability: I love this beer, it's not too sweet the alcohol is very subtle. A great dessert beer and one of, if not the, best chocolate stout I've had. Southern Tier makes another great imperial offering. I (678 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%

Bomber to snifter. At least 50'F.

A: Pitch black from what I can tell -- the lights are dim though. Tan head. Very thin. Dissipates quickly. I wish the head was creamier.

S: Chocolate. Very distinct chocolate smell. Maybe a little bit of roasted malt afterwards, but mainly it's all chocolate. Smells nice.

T: Chocolate - very distinct. Normally when I drink strong stouts, I get coffee way before I pick up on any chocolate flavors. This is all chocolate, more so than I've ever experienced before. After the chocolate is some roasted malts and bitterness -- and maybe a little bit of sweetness. I'm having trouble determining how much of the bitterness is from hops or from the chocolate ingredients themselves. Not much alcohol is coming through directly, but there is some warmth.

M: Medium to fuller bodied. Slightly creamy but definitely rich. This is nice but I've had imperial stouts that had a lot more creaminess and coated the mouth much better -- and allowed flavors to linger. Carbonation isn't too noticeable, but it's there.

D: Really interesting flavors. Not too complex. Pretty one dimensional, but a really strong theme. Alcohol is well harmonized and subtle -- was able to slug it back. Very smooth.

Good beer - unique. I bought a couple bottles. I'm going to have the second bottle with may Dad at our Christmas dinner, but I think I'd like to get another one and see what happens after a few months of aging. I'd like to see if some of the bitterness mellows out after 3-5 months. We'll see. (1,518 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Pours very dark, seemed black but had a reddish tint when held to the light. The head is thick dark brown, but doesn't linger. The nose is chocolate all the way, hints of alcohol but it's well integrated. The taste is much more mill chocolate than dark. The flavor comes close to being too sweet, but doesn't and finishes with a nice bitterness. It's quite drinkable, so much so that I had the whole bomber. The perfect long work day night cap. (444 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a deep brown, almost black. Thick, almost creamy, with a thin, cocoa-brown head that dissipates almost immediately.

This smells more like a bar of Belgian chocolate than beer. The chocolate smell overwhelms initially, but is eventually balanced out by roasted malts and a slight note of hops.

The taste is far less chocolate-heavy than the nose, with the dark chocolate balanced by roasted malts and light hops. The sweetness is strong, but the bitterness helps to bring balance in the end. The alcohol is completely masked, with none of the warmth or bite you'd expect at 11%.

The beer isn't as smooth and creamy as I'd like in a chocolate stout, but it still feels great, and goes down easy.

Overall an amazing beer that is a credit not only to its style, but to the brewer that crafted this beauty. I was looking for the ultimate in chocolate stouts, and this just might be it... (894 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

22oz bomber poured into tulip.
$9
This is my go-to chocolate flavored beer.

A: Poured a deep black with a 2 finger dark mocha color head. Head quickly faded to a thin foam top.
S: A lot of milk chocolate. Some booze and malt.
T: I think I may be drinking chocolate milk right now. Starts chocolate moves to booze ends with roasted notes.
M: Thick and creamy. Leaves the mouth a little syrupy.
D: I love this one, but don't think it's a beer that I could drink 2 of in one night. It is def. a chocolate stout. A great winter weather beer. (540 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black. Really, seriously black, no brown at all. Pours thick with a thin light brown head. Have not seen a blacker stout.

Smell: Chocolate. Dark chocolate with some lighter, tangy milk chocolate notes, really like M&Ms. Nothing really, but chocolate and roasted malts, but they do really shine.

Taste: An explosion of chocolate flavor in my mouth. Dark chocolate abound. More bitter than sweet chocolate notes, though there is still a whole lot of sweetness. There are also lighter chocolate notes, malty goodness, and the lightest presence of hops with no obvious booziness observable.

Mouthfeel: Just slightly thicker than medium body with balanced, low carbonation. Awesomely creamy, maybe more than any other beer I have had.

Overall: A great chocolate brew. Lacks balance a bit, but I doubt they were really aiming for that. Very nice. (858 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.4%

Served on Christmas eve in the brewer's tulip-shaped glass at Parklane Tavern in Virginia as part of their Monday Steal the Glass promotion. Paired with their bread pudding dessert.

A: Very dark brown/ black, with tall, cream-colored head that lasted for 10-15 minutes. Beautiful Belgian lace lined inside of glass for the entire 30 minute session.

S: Warm, bittersweet chocolate aroma, coffee notes

T: Amazing chocolate taste-- sweet at first, with hints of nougat (like a 3 Musketeers or Milky Way), then finishing bittersweet, with familiar coffee roastiness characteristic of Imperial Stouts. Some warming from the alcohol, but not overly pronounced like some stouts and strong ales. Very balanced.

M: Balanced-- not too thin, but not too chewy. Perfect!

O: Excellent sipping beer to accompany a chocolate / caramel type dessert. The bread pudding I had brought out more of the beer's bitterness. Wonderful! (916 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -14%

Ok....my long awaited taste of Choklat...let it begin.

As i pour the brew im flabbergasted by the amount of chocolate i smell. I smell it when i open it. I smell it as i pour the almost black liquid in the glass, as i smell it and look at it, i am surprised that the head is just a fluffy white. As i smell and watch the head lace into almost nothingness, it turns a deep carmel colored brown.

The mouthfeel is good, a bit thinner than expected. Definetly taste the chocolate and beer up front. As the brew glides down the palate and the tongue it creeps in a bit bitter. The beer taste also comes out after time. The finish is a good mixture of chocolate, hops and malt.

The chocolate syrup i expected from other reviews never showed up, but it is definetly a great chocolate beer. More chocolate than beer, not more beer than chocolate,until the aftertaste kicked in.

I saved this as a dessert, and now i feel the heavyness after finishing amost all the bottle. Also leaves an alcohoic aftertaste i dont think i like much. Had to edit this review after sitting on it for a while. (1,089 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

Purchased three days before Christmas from Siciliano's in Grand Rapids. Consumed on January 26.

Look: Pitch black with hardly any head. There was a little head when the beer was first poured but left almost immediately.
Smell: As said before, it's like taking a bottle of Hershey's syrup and squeezing some air out and smelling it. That mixed with any typical imperial stout.
Taste/Mouthfeel: Soft on the tongue. Smooth. Definitely tastes like Hershey's. But I'd say it's got the bitterness of the cocoa and not the syrup. It's very thick and filling... Chocolate!

Overall/notes: Drinking this beer feels like you're having a dessert like a stout float with chocolate ice cream and syrup. It's smooth when you sip it but leaves a burnt chocolate/pure cocoa taste after swallowing. I'm not a big fan of this style of beer but I can see why it's so popular. It's really an interesting twist on this style. A fun beer for the beer advocate. (943 characters)

Being a New York State beer drinker, this makes me wonder if the rest of the country knows and appreciates the incredible things that are happening at the Southern Tier Brewing Company. No other brewer has given me more new beers that blew me away in the past year than this one.

According to the bomber, this beer uses:
2-row barley
caramel 60 malt
barley flakes
chocolate malt
bittersweet belgian chocolate
Kettle hops: chinook and willamette

The beer looks like an imperial stout ought to look. Black, with a pillowy tan head that dissipates quickly as it wrestles with the 11% abv brew.

You're not ready for how chocolatey this smells. It's like a mug of cocoa with marshmallows as you curl up next to a roaring fire.

The smell was great, but I wasn't sure if I wanted my beer to have such a pronounced chocolate taste as the smell hinted at. I was worried it would be too sweet and bothersome (like I found their Javah Imperial Stout). Wrong. This is perfect. The sweetness is there, but is never cloying. The chocolate predominates, but it goes down so smoothly it seems totally appropriate and never excessive.

The mouthfeel is nice and thick and creamy, as an imperial stout should be. In the aftertaste you get lingering chocolate with some roasted malt notes. Maybe the hops are there, but this isn't their party.

I don't know what kind of voodoo is going on behind the scenes at Southern Tier, but this does not taste like an 11% beer. It is just far too easy to drink. I didn't notice any alcohol flavor or burn to the beer. Just a smooth creamy dark chocolate shake.

Southern Tier knocked this one out of the park. This feels like a breakthrough beer to me. I don't know what their distribution area looks like, but I think this is one people are going to be clamoring for everywhere. It is a perfectly made beer that everyone deserves to have cross their taste buds. (1,889 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +13.3%

I cracked a cellared 2008 bottle of Choklat last night. Although I didn't take proper notes, I enjoyed it so much that it warranted another high score even though my review may not be detailed.

Nothing remarkable or unremarkable about Choklat's appearence. The smell on the other hand... It smelled like chocolate milk and malted milk. And the taste was absolutely wonderful - all chocolate and malt. The age muted any hop character this beer once had. It had none of the booziness I usually experience with other chocolate stouts. Mouthfeel was wonderfully creamy and it was ridiculously drinkable.

Hands down, the best chocolate stout I've ever had. (653 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Michael at Champanes for digging this one up for me.

This beer pours midnight black, completely opaque, with a light brown head. The smell is not unlike a dark Hersey's candy bar, the chocolate is quite evident.

Taste is very smooth, the chocolate flavor is nearly over the top but I guess that's to be expected when the beer is called "Choklat". If you handed me a glass of cold hot chocolate, I might not know the difference.

The alcohol is well hidden at 11% although I was reminded as I made it through the bottle.

I would consider this beer to be a very occasional treat, quite good as a dessert. I wish I had some holiday cheesecake to go with this, I think they would be good together. (706 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

If I didn't know this was beer, I wouldn't guess it. This dessert in a bottle is all smooth, dark chocolate, with no detectable hops, alcohol, or anything else. you close your eyes, and you'd swear you're drinking chocolate milk, or perhaps a melted bar of Godiva. (264 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +9.8%

I generally do not gush about beer, but I feel I have to with this one.

I reserve Choklat for special occassions; a beer to enjoy right before dessert or to cap off a sampling session. The last one I had was from the collection and was two years old (bottled in 2010)

The pour was slightly heady but a dark, rich head appeared which released not an up front hop note (which is there- if you search for it) but a strong dark chocolate smell. (Which I love) . The chocolate flavor and profile is promounced, but the aging had a calming effect. More malt flavors came through and the hop character was ever so slightly evident. A great stout to have to finish any beer sampling evening or to compliment a bowl of vanilla ice cream. (730 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +9.3%

had this on tap at the East Village Tavern.

A- pours extremely dark black color without any head, i could not see through this one at all. It's as black as night

S- strong smooth chocolately aromas, slightly bitter but smells amazing. I couldn't believe I was smelling a beer and not a chocolate bar. i would like to do a blind smelling test where i could compare the aromas from this beer and some other chocolate bars and try to pick which is which.

T- tastes like i had melted a chocolate bar and drank it, this beer is so cholately tasting its incredible. The alcohol is very well hidden for 11%.

M- very smooth, full bodied, a bit creamy, low carbonation

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. It's an explosion of chocolate. This is certainly one to end the night on or have for dessert. I would definitely seek this one out and it shouldn't be that difficult as it's not hard to find. (894 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into over-sized wine glass.

A - Very solid black body with a small -mocha colored- layer of foam on top. Head does not seem to retain.

S - Light, sweet, chocolaty broth. Smells glorious.

T - Very balanced, chocolate malts up front, thick chocolate texture in the middle, followed by the sweet taste of a milk chocolate bar. After taste is slightly bitter like that of baker's chocolate.

M - Chewy, thick, sticks on the palate and top of the tongue.

O - Overall it was a great dessert. Served exactly as it should. The chocolate aroma and taste is overwhelmingly enriching to my taste buds. 22oz of this 11% chocolate imperial stout is near perfect. (677 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

Was able to score some of this at the local Quick 6. Very glad I did!

Poured a dark black with only the slightest hints of dark brown peeking through on the edges when held to the light. I got one finger of mocha-colored head. Next to no lacing.

The best nose of any beer I've had yet to date. I got some milk chocolate in the nose, but mostly a rich dark chocolate truffle type of aroma. A chocolate lover's dream. Amazing.

The taste was terrific as well. I picked up a heavy dose of the dark chocolate on the finish and some milk chocolate up front, with the dark chocolate being much more pronounced. The booze is pretty well-masked, but enough is present to remind you to tread with caution....although it tastes great, its still a big kid's drink. You get some of a warming sensation as you drink it. Only complaint is that as it warms, the two different chocolate notes I got merged together to form just one overall melange of chocolate. An oatiness then emerges. Very pleasing.

Mouthfeel can be summed up in one word...rich. It goes down nice and smooth, but it has that full, thick body that an imperial stout should have. Its not sticky or syrupy...just right.

Overall, I believe this is as close to a perfect score as I've ever given to a beer, but its warranted. If you fancy stouts, this is a must try for you. It'll change your life. I do have some Founder's Breakfast Stout that I'm aging now for the winter months, so it will be interesting to see if it can live up to its enormous hype and top this Southern Tier offering. (1,544 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -31%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle. Started at 45d. I was not a fan of this beer. The best thing thing about it to me is the strong and inviting chocolate aroma. It's there up front at the start and remains present throughout. But there is also a strong alcohol presence in both the smell and taste that overrides the nice chocolate. At 10% ABV the booze overpowers the chocolate and anything else. Not sure what to pair this with other than dessert. I would much rather have the fantastic Organic Chocolate Samuel Smith at half the alcohol and exponentially more flavorful and enjoyable. (568 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled from a 22 oz. bomber. Color is black at night with a creme brûlée colored head. Smell is a cross between Hershey's original syrup and Smucker's chocolate candy shell. There is also a slight Mexican spicy hot chocolate undertone. Definitely feel the bitter chocolate upfront that surrenders to the sweet and finishes to a cream on the tongue with a almost numbing zestiness on the gums. As far as tast goes this is where my only complaint comes in an it's not really a complaint. After a few sips it builds with sweetness. I would have to drink this as a desert beer and don't think I could have more than one. With its high alcohol content I would definitely need a ride home if out. For its style it's spot on but I wish it were a hair more relaxed with the sweetness and the Abv so that I could enjoy more than one in a sitting. (840 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.3%

I've had this several times now, and feel the need to edit my review.

A: Dark mahogany says it best, almost black with deep red highlights.

S: strong aroma of baking brownies - including the slightly burnt edges.

T: Chocolate syrup up front, followed by a balanceing hop bitterness in the middle. The sweet and bitterness balances out to a long, smooth finish. A semi-sweet chocolate flavor slides over your tongue throughout.

M: smooth, silky. Medium weight but thick body.

D: I didn't like the first sip. It hit me as too cloying and sweet, like a glob of chocolate syrup in seltzer. The flavor mellowed and the hoppy bitterness rose out of the middle to balance the lingering aftertaste. Now I know what to expect, I always have a bottle or two around the house. Makes a great desert to sip on a cool evening. (817 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%

Aroma: Really nice bittersweet chocolate aroma, but that's really all that I pick up. Kind of a one note pony.

Appearance: Jet black, completely opaque, brown head. Looks like a stout should look.

Taste: Very nice chocolaty flavor, with a very subtle coffee bitterness creeping up here and there. A little bitter and a little sweet, finishes on a lingering bittersweet note.

Feel: Nice and full, really coats the mouth, low carbonation. Surprisingly, it's a little dry in the aftertaste.

Overall: Absolutely incredible that this beer is 11% ABV. It's warming but like a cup of hot chocolate, not burning alcohol. Really enjoyed this highly drinkable, high ABV stout. Definitely looking forward to picking this up next winter! (729 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Part two of my Southern Tier Christmas tasting

A- Pours a inky rich black, with two fingers of brown head. When held up to the light no light can escape it. Minimum lacing on the glass.

S- It seriously smells like milk chocolate, rich and creamy. A slight burn of alcohol tickles that back of the nose.

T- The chocolate is combined with a roasty bitterness. Initially sweet but a bit of hops shows through in the end. Slight amount of dried fruit in the middle.

M- Powerful while being drunk, but doesn't stick around. Very dry tasting.

D- One of the best chocolate beers that I have had, however it can get overpowering if not sipped (640 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Midnight black with a 1-finger head of dark brown head.

S: Heavy nose of chocolate. Like wow. I could be sniffing a malted milkshake. Incredibly appetizing.

T: Dark chocolate, coffee beans, background of earthy hops. Remarkably smooth and clean tasting for 11% ABV. Absolutely fantastic. My breath smells like chocolate!

M: Spot on.

D: 22oz is a good size for this one. *hic* (383 characters)

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company