Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,480 | Hads: 4,819
4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks rhinos00 for this (in person trade @ KtG 09)

A. Black with ruby around the edges, mocha head that fades quickly, thin ring of lacing.

S. Hersheys cohcolate syrup, chocolate bars, just chocolate...

T. robust chocolate, roasted malt, faint coffee.

M. Creamy, bittersweet,

D. Alochol is hidden very well, for a chocolate stout (emphasis on chocolate) well balanced (374 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Very dark brown color with a small head that dissipated quickly. Lacing was left.

S - Hershey Syrup. Identical to the smell of it! No scent of alcohol, just chocolate.

T- Very strong dark chocolate taste. Almost too strong, but definitely good.

M- Thick. Just how a beer that smells and tastes like this should feel.

D- This is where I deducted points. I find that though this beer is a definite leader as far as chocolate is concerned...thats about all. I found myself tired of the taste after half of a glass. No complexity exists to keep me interested. (563 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Deep brown/black with a short tan head that disappears quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Roasted malt with chocolate dominating. Very little booziness, likely due to the strong chocolatiness.

T - Immediate chocolate punch in the mouth. The alcohol sets in after a second (it is 11%, after all), but is balanced well by the chocolate roasty flavor. Bittersweet chocolate and a hint of hop bitterness dance back and forth and linger in the finish. [Edit]: As it warms, more complexity comes forward, and there is a slight orange flavor that blends with the chocolate.

M - Medium to heavy body with low to moderate carbonation. Not quite as thick as I would have expected.

O - This is an excellent chocolate beer, in fact, one of the best uses of chocolate in beer I have tasted. There is no hint of staleness of the chocolate that can sometimes come in if the bottle has sat too long, and the chocolate flavor really balances the alcohol well. High quality ingredients were clearly used. This is not an overly complex beer, as chocolate and roasted malt are the two main flavors I could pick out, but an easy drinking, tasty concoction nonetheless. (1,185 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was fortunate enough to find one bottle available of this @ Cardoza's in Fall River back in August. Poured from a 22oz bottle into Southern Tier tulip. Very tiny head disappears almost instantly. Smell is absolutelty fantastic! Hershey's chocolate syrup & powdered cocoa come to mind. Taste is sensational chocolate and loads of it. Roasted malt, a touch of alcohol and a good hop balance at the end round out this fantastic beer. Mouthfeel is also sensational. Mild sweetness & good carbonation are the key to an impressive mouthfeel. I gave Drinkibility a 4.5. For a beer that is 11% ABV it is clearly well hidden. I would most likely stop at one bomber simply because of the ABV. I really liked the creme brulee but this beer is in a league of it's own.
Another tremendous beer from Southern Tier once again . (815 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

A - dark brown like pouring melt'd dark chocolate, nice head settles to just a collar as time goes

S - CHOCOLATE!! CHOCOLATE, reminds me of chocolate chips, or melted chocolate used to cover fruit.

TM - CHOCOLATE, a bit of hoppy balance in the end, carbonation isn't much, finish and aftertaste both delicous like drinking strong chocolate, 11ABV hidden behind the sweetness

D - too sweet tasting for me, however a great dessert beer between friends after a great meal. If only it was served as dessert at restaurants.... (524 characters)

Good lord, this one is over the top with chocolate goodness! Right away an aroma of chocolate liqueur, then a thick, creamy milk-like texture and chocolate malts are heavy in the flavor. The 10.0 abv is almost the only thing that cuts through the chocolate. Have i mentioned the chocolate? Nice bitter aftertaste lingers. This one is outstanding! (355 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another fine brew from Southern Tier. Pours black w nice foamy head. Tastes just like it should, strong chocolate flavor throughout. Had a bomber last night and enjoyed every sip. Will pick up again for sure. (212 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

A- Very dark brown in colour and not very clear at all, but has a certain glisten. Poured with very little head that did not last very long.

S- Very nice heavy roasted malts, very reminiscent of dark coffee. Some small hints of vanilla and some molasses are detectable, but the most prominent smell is of the dark chocolate. The chocolate is very sweet and savoury smelling, very delicious.

T- Flavour starts off with a light coffee taste, which blends into a very wonderful velvety chocolate taste. The chocolate is very similar to a Lyndt 80-90% Chocolate bar, sweet yet bitter and tart. After the chocolate the warmth of the alcohol comes through. The flavour is finished off with a strong espresso accented by some vanilla and brown sugar flavours.

D- Wonderful beer. Did not expect so much chocolate flavour in the beer and the smell of the beer is one of the best aroma's of a beer I have ever encountered. (915 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%

Bomber bottle, poured into small brandy snifter, no freshness date noted.

A- pours opaque brown- no light shines thru the center, but the edges do pick up some lighter shades of brown, like that of drip coffee. Head is minimal- pour develops a beige to espresso foam colored head, very minimal, 1 finger at best, and poor retention. Lacing is almost non-existent, depending on the intial head.

S- chocolate all over- dark chocolate aromas engulf the nose, along with bits of espresso roast wafting in and out. Somewhat boozy vanilla extract/vanilla as well is evident. Slight charcoal smell upon exhale.

T- Chocolate up front, in the middle, and at the end, no doubt about it. Bittersweet chocolate is made sweeter from caramel flavors (malt?), carrying on through to the hop bitterness at the end, which lingers, but only in the form of bitter chocolate more than any particular hops. Finish is smooth overall, save for (hop tannins?) seem to create a level of slight astringency/pucker on the tongue, but not overly so, with a slight little burn in the throat, showing off the high abv- otherwise the alcohol is very well hidden.

M- smooth, silky, full-bodied. Carbonation recedes as one drinks, much more assertive when first poured, helping to lift some of the weight off the palate.

D- so smooth, easily drinkable for a dessert beer, almost too much so since it's so smooth, sweet, and tasty. It's a chocolate dessert without the need for the dessert!

I've had this before on tap, which I actually liked better (carbonation was tighter and lasted longer it seemed), but this is still one of my favorite beers to have post meal with dessert. Had this with homemade vanilla and chocolate biscotti, making for a wonderful after dinner dessert. (1,755 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

a: Opaque, dark, dark, almost black. Slightly carmal colored head. Only a tad bit of lacing.
s: Chocolate, a lot of it. Giving it a vigorous swirl a very rich dark fruit (cherries, raisons) comes through, but with that nice chocolate over top of it. Reminds me of a chocolate covered cherries.
t: First taste gave me a rich coffee mixed with the dark fruits that I smelled in the glass. Taking another, larger, swig the alcohol in the beverage stands out a bit more, and I get a nice warm coffee finish.
m: I am a bit disappointed for here, it is a bit thin for what I was expecting from this this, but it coated the mouth nicely it just didn't have the thickness that I was expecting.
d: For being a big (high abv) beer this is surprisingly drinkable, however, I think that the bomber I have will be enough for me. (815 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%

Bomber, served in an over-sized wine glass.

A: completely opaque, little to no head, almost no lacing either.

S: milk chocolate-covered cherries, background of roasted malts, a really great aroma.

T: lots of chocolate, very little alcohol given the 11% with only a slight warming feel, and a bitter finish that balances the beer to keep it from being cloying.

M: Very thick, yet still decently carbonated. Sticks to palate

D: Depends on how much you like chocolate flavor. If you LOVE chocolate stouts, you could probably have a lot of this; if chocolate stouts are more of a novelty to you, one will be quite enough

I really liked this beer. It rather expensive at $10 for a bomber (at least where I got it, I probably over-paid by a dollar or so) but it is definitely one everyone should try. Beats the pants off of Rogue Chocolate Stout. (849 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

The beer pours an almost opaque black color with minimal head. The head does have a beautiful light mocha color to it, which usually indicates that it is a full-bodied, flavorful beer. I'm excited!

The nose is huge, with the dark chocolate coming on strong. I'm getting minimal hops with a slight malty character. The chocolate definitely dominates the nose though.

The taste is amazingly balanced, a nice flow of chocolate with the hops and the malt in the background. The chocolate leaves behind a definite sweetness which I feel hides the alcohol well.

This beer could definitely be served with a dessert, which is an interesting thing. Most brewers don't attempt a dessert beer, but Southern Tier does it so well. Their Creme Brulee stout is also a very good dessert beer.

Cheers! (789 characters)

A - Poured a nice deep, inky, black with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly.

S - Smells like a nice bar of dark chocolate.

T - Smooth with a dark chocolate taste. The aftertaste is a bit hoppy, but not too overpowering.

M - Great. Has the expected syrupy stickiness with a slight carbonation.

O - Wow. This is one great beer. (335 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%

I got a growler filled at the Whole Foods on the Lower East Side of NYC.

A: A nice, dark stout with a nice creamy head formed at the end of the pour.

S: It smells like, what else, chocolate - the best way to describe the scent is that it's very similar to a 70% cocoa chocolate bar.

T: While the chocolate flavor is very strong, it's not nearly as strong a flavor as it was a scent. It tastes like very good bittersweet chocolate.

M: Thinner than most stouts but leaves a wonderful chocolate aftertaste on the tongue.

D: Very drinkable - the chocolate aroma and flavor does way too good a job at masking the fact that it's an 11% ABV beer. (644 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

22 oz poured into a tulip glass.

Pours pitch black with an almond brown head that dissipates rather quickly. I love the smell. Smells of malts galore! A deep roasted chocolate smell with caramel hints. Maybe even smells a bit like hazelnut (definitely a nutty smell). There is also a strong boozy smell. Taste is not as intense as the smell would lead you to anticipate. The taste is a sweet, charcoal-like, chocolate taste. Lots of malts with a decent bittering hops to balance. Mouthfeel is light with little carbonation. Drinkablilty is great. I feel like this could be a session beer for me (even though it's 11% ABV).

I guess I was expecting a big, thick stout. Didn't really get that, but it was still a quality beer. I do love this beer's nutty smell. (760 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%

Southern Tier Choklat pours a deep brown color with a little ruby around the edges and a small tan head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is pretty much all chocolate with a faint alcohol smell. A small whiff of dark roasted malt as well.

Huge chocolate taste with some bitterness from both the chocolate and malt. The alcohol and hop bitterness comes through faintly in the back end of this beer. Very sweet, but an all-around pleasing beer.

Thick mouthfeel, full bodied, medium-low carbonation. Absolutely perfect. This is a sipping beer, and at various times, you may forget you're drinking a beer.

Excellent. (616 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -3.5%

This ridiculously decadent brew pours ink black with a perilously thin ruby line that is barely visible when held to the light. The thick, frothy mocha head holds well but eventually disappears and leaves little to no lace. The aroma fills your nostrils as soon as the bottle is uncapped...

Thick luscious chocolate. It smells like warm moist brownies right from the oven then sprinkled with a bit of espresso. Bitter dark Belgian chocolate can be detected as well. Not too sweet, just pure chocolate indulgence. The booze can be detected a bit as the brew warms. Just a hint of burnt raisin as well in the end. Unbelievable aromatic. I can't take my face out of the glass long enough to give it a taste.

Initially this brew drops a welcomed ton of sweet milk chocolate on you, like drinking a glass of straight Hershey's Syrup, but it quickly levels out before becoming sickeningly sweet. The bitterness of more earthy dark baking cocoa comes out and really serves as the vocal point of this beer. Semi-sweet but still bitter and deep. Like a warm dark brownie smothered in creamy, sweet chocolate ganache. I can't imagine a beer being any more chocolaty. Sorry all you other brewers out there, I don't think it can be done.

Thick, syrupy and decadent. Lower carbonation makes for and even creamier, heavier mouthfeel with a hint of warmth that increases as the brew warms. Do yourself a huge favor and do not consume this one right from the fridge; let it sit and come up to about 50 degrees before you pour. The slick and creamy nature as well as so much of the flavor of the brew will be lost if you don't.

Well Southern Tier has now dominated two of my favorite secondary flavorings for beer. Every other Pumpkin (thanks to ST Imperial Pumking), and now every chocolate beer I try just seems inadequate. Southern Tier you are a a blessing as well as a curse. Ok, maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic but I just hope they don't decide to make a pizza flavored beer or I may die of malnourishment. (2,004 characters)

Tootsie Roll in a glass
(and not in the Caddyshack kind of way)

This is the best chocolate beer I have sampled.
The smell is fantastic -- chocolate, coffee, roast.

The sweetness/stregth of the imperial stout works perfectly and seemlessly with the chocolate. Smooth -- neither alcoholly nor thin -- but full flavored chocolate. yum. I am a big fan of strong dark beers, and this is the acme of chocolate imperial stouts. (and I COULD drink this all night :) (459 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance: Pours a little thinner than expected. In the glass it's very black with only the slightest hints of brown at the bottom nipple of my tulip. Small brown quickly dissipating head. Little lacing.

Smell: I was expecting chocolate, and I got it, but I also got more coffee than I expected. The chocolate is dark and bitter, but still rich and robust. The alcohol is peaking through a little too much.

Taste: The coffee and the alcohol don't really show their faces. It's all about the chocolate. It's good but I actually was hoping for a bigger and richer chocolate taste. It's not a small beer, but for the ABV and the hype I guess I wanted a little more. Still great tasting. Long finish and that is where this beer shines.

Mouthfeel: No issue with the thickness, but it was I felt it was over carbonated for my taste.

Drinkability: This beer had some hype from friends, and I think I was expecting too much from it. It's a really good beer, and I'm excited about the bottle I have in the cellar. At the same time, I'm not sure I'm going to put the extra effort to get this in the future. I think I prefer Rogues Chocolate Stout. (1,144 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at Cambridge Wine and Spirits in a 22oz bottle, poured into a large red wine glass (sorry, please excuse me). This stout is a little on the sweet side for me, but it sure is chocolatey. Actually, I even picked up on a hint of vanilla/caramel. I would recommend drinking it on its own or with dessert. I couldn't drink more than a pint or so, but it's a great end-of-the-evening choice. (395 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Group tasting notes from 2-18-11
Poured out of a bottle.
Served in a goblet.

A- Another dark as coffee DIPA, tan head, everything's looking good.

S- This immediately struck everybody, Choklat smelled just like the Dark Chocolate truffles we had on hand for the tasting. Sweet sweet cocoa powder smell, a little caramel in there as well.

M- Heavy mouthfeel, it coats the mouth like melted chocolate.

T- Again, tastes just like a dark chocolate truffle. Doesn't taste like an 11% abv beer.

D- I would drink a bottle of this with friends in place of dessert. It's not going to be something I want to drink every week.

Food- Tried this with a truffle, the two tasted just same. (681 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Had on tap at the Bavarian Lodge. I'm not normally a stout drinker, but others recommended I try it anyway, and so I did.

Considering it's not my favorite style, this was an impressive beer. Even before it hit the bar, I could smell the chocolate. The color is typical of this style, of course, very dark with a thick, tannish head that stays well.

Mouthfeel is very thick and rich, and in addition to the chocolate that dominates---and I mean dominates...there is nothing subtle about it--you get some coffee as well. The alcohol content is surprising, given that it's not noticeable in the tasting. It's very well disguised.

I wouldn't want to drink a lot of these--I'm not sure you could, really--but it was an interesting experience, and I wouldn't turn down another. (774 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

Bomber. Hey! Who put hops in my chocolate milk!? Pours a jet black with a cream head. Aroma is of purest chocolate syrup with a hint of floral hops. Flavor is more of the same: wonderfully sweet chocolate (the Hershey's syrup variety, not the dry cocoa flavor found in some other chocolate stouts) with a hop kick at the end. Would have liked a little more body, and a little less hops. Still, a good beer for the style, and much better when it warms. Here's one to get your buddies talking. (491 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

I tried this beer at home served from the bottle into a sampling glass.

A- a dark "chocolate" brown with a little head and little lacing.

S- It smelt like a chocolate chip cookie with some very mild vanilla and dark chocolate.

T- The beer was bitter on the front and smooth chocolate on the back. It was like drinking a chocolate milk shake.

M- This beer was thick with a slight tingle; smooth like eating a Godiva chocolate.

O- this beer seemed more like a drinking a chocolate shake then drinking a imperial stout. Does not discount from the beer, this was very unique and I would buy this again. (606 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Best Quality. Dark brown to black appearance, nice thick tan head that sticks around leaving nice lacing.

S: sweet, milk chocolate. The beer that smells like s'mores.

T: So sweet, nearly impossible to taste the alcohol.

M: smooth and delicious

O: very good (263 characters)

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company