Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Ratings: 4,734 | Reviews: 1,504
4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

The beer is pitch black and pours almost like motor oil. There is a nice tan head about a centimeter in height with incredible retention. Not much carbonation is showing through the beer. The nose on nose on the beer smells exactly like tootsie rolls! It's incredibly pleasing. The beer is bitter with a nice alcohol warming in the background with a beautiful chocolate flavour in the foreground. It's complex, yet the flavours are profound. The mouthfeel is thick as fuck. The beer is really sweet, but I could find myself drinking it quite easily.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Served a little cooler than cellar temperature, around 6 months aged in my first cellaring attempt, plus however long from it's last release. I decided tonight was a good enough reason to crack it as it's my girlfriends absolute favorite beer, and I can't help but deny it's awesomeness and how good it sounded.

22oz bottle to goblet, pours a heavy oily black pretty much opaque shade with a slight reddish glow. Frothy tan head fades quick, but tastes delicious when active, fades to wonderful lacing.

Smells of Hersey's chocolate syrup and I mean heavy! cocoa, almost lactosey perhaps from the flaked barley, slight alcohol pang, smells amazing, the best smelling chocolate stout ever!

Taste is smooth bittersweet dark chocolate, yum! Never have I tasted a beer with such a real chocolate flavor, creamy almost, bitter hops hide in the back by the chocolate bomb of malts and real belgian choco, nicely blended heat - almost unnoticeable but not really hiding itself either, slides down the tongue, roasty barley, caramel, vanilla bean notes, would love to see a barrel aged with vanilla bean version, or even a regular BA! Amazing! one of my top favorite big stouts ever - if it were more widely available I would stock up and share it on special occasions.

mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, oily alcohol, with a bitter hop kick, the abv is hidden amazingly - a near perfect beer, or one at least close enough to me :D

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to gunhaver for cracking this open at the RBSG 08 Grand Tasting. Pours pitch black with a light tan head. Lace is dense and massive. Aroma is out of this world. I can't even really imagine a more intense chocolate aroma. Smells like brownie mix tastes. Flavor is a little less obtuse, with semisweet chocolate, an appreciable amount of roast, and and finish that rings of tootsie rolls. Great beer.

A: opaque with a dark brown frothy head. I poured this one aggressively.

S: Heaven in a bottle. Milk chocolate, almost like Hershey's syrup. Very sweet with a little roastiness and no alcohol.

T: Sweet milk chocolate, but a well-balanced sweetness that isn't overpowering. Some caramel and roasted barley. Finishes strong on the chocolate with less of the initial sweetness, which I really enjoyed.

M: Very creamy, fairly low carbonation.

D: Is this really 11% ABV? This is the easiest 11% beer I've ever had. There's nothing I don't like about Choklat. I could drink it every day, and it's in my top 5 beers of any style, if not #1. I'm a lover of big stouts and chocolate, and this beer has everything.

3.96/5  rDev -7%

A: Deep dark and black. Tall, thin, whispy tan head which stood for only about a minute.

S: Alcohol up front. followed by coffee, then coco.

T: Lots of chocolate, and coco. Followed by the coffee. (I think this would do better w/o the coffee - imo)

M: Nice and thick and very chewy. Big beer.

D: Southern Tier may be one of the most underrated and unknown gems around.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Deep and dark, basically black. Thin to medium tan head, not much retention. Smell is overwhelmingly dark chocolate. Some sugary sweetness to it but mostly dark, bitter, melted chocolate. I like this, I think...is it beer, though? Smells like it should be in solid form rather than liquid. Taste is pretty nice. Definitely an assault with the chocolate again. Dark, rich, liquid chocolate. What more can be said? Oh yeah, it gets really sweet. I like this better than the smell because it adds a hint of roast to the mix along with a faint green hop bitterness. Still, though...the chocolate, it's lovely. Just too much chocolate, not enough beer. Close to a full bodied brew with a good feel for sure. Good level of carbonation. I wish this were more drinkable but unfortunately for me, it's not. Takes quite a while to consume. I'd prefer splitting this with three people, even. One of those brews that is on the brink of being brilliant but it's just slightly held back. Add a touch more roast, a little more depth, and this is one amazing brew. As is, it's quite one-dimensional and reminds me of Mike Tyson. It packs a heavy chocolate punch but has too many other issues to be a consistent knockout...damn, that was bad.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Total blackness except for the thinnest of red lines at the bottom of the glass. Light tan level dentable head.

Incredible rich chocolate aroma.

There's probably a stiff malty backbone here, but its chocolate coated. A surge of earthy hops balance he sweetness and make a nice bit at the swallow. Finishes with a gobs of Hershey syrup.

Smooth, rich, thick, syrupy, lush.

Takes dangerously drinkable to new heights. Extra thick chocolate milk at 11%. Probably shouldn't have two in one night, but the thought will come up.

Chocolate beer has a new standard bearer.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Twenty-two ounce brown bottle, no dates.

Inky opaque black. Think dark tan coloured head. Not much in terms of head retention - not surprising considering the high octane nature of Choklat. Very minimal lacing left on the glass.

Undoubtedly there is chocolate in the nose. Some other roast character mingles as well, but make no mistake, the star of the show is the bittersweet Belgian chocolate.

Intense chocolate flavour throughout. Some great coffee and roast malt flavours are in there, too. It takes a bit of patience for them to show through, but they are there, and really help to keep that chocolate flavour from becoming one dimensional. Thick, full bodied drink, almost milkshake like. Gently carbonation. Delicious desert beer.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

Deep, deep black color. Not a lot of carbonation I was expecting more chocolate milk looking head. Aroma assaulted me as soon as it was poured. Just a huge hunk chocolate cake and imperial goodness. Reminds me of walking into a kitchen of fresh baked goods. Its all over the place aroma wise. Flavor is heavily chocolate with a roasted and sharp bite against a mellow, dessert like sweetness. Perfect body-very full though moderate on the palate. Very slight dryness after the full sweetness and chocolate flavors. Faint alcohol. Amazing beer. Could not do this all night as it becomes too much. I had a bottle a few months back and was so overwhelmed I didnt know what to make of it. Definately lacks some of the "imperial notes" you might be looking for but this is simply an amazing beer IMHO. Appreciate it for what it is I say. Yummy.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

So far the best beer I have tried from Southern Tier. In comparison I beleive I like the Rogue Chocolate stout a little better, a little easier to drink in my opinion but this is a very solid beer. It pours a black color nearly opaque. It smells like I just poured nestle quick on my chocolate icecream. The tast is seriously like nestle quick, brings me back to my childhood when I would sneak a few swigs while mom wasn't watching. The mouthfeel if very nice and creamy. Its a highly drinkable beer but not something I could drink all night I think I would go into a sugar coma :D Amazing an 11% alcohol beer that you can not taste the alcohol @ all!

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

I was lucky enough to have this on draft at the Publick House in honor of Phin's appearance. The distributor rep said they had not planned on having it, but made a last minute change to have it on tap for the evening. I was very excited to experience a glass based upon the recent thread that posed the question, what is the most chocolate tasting beer available?

The beer was deep brown, bordering on black. Aroma was almost exclusively cocoa powder. There was no doubt about the flavor of this beer long before it ever touched your lips. There was a very creamy tan head that remained for a while then faded back into the black magic.

The taste was a burst of chocolate and really did remind me of bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate. Certainly a "big" flavor that asked you to savor the beer slowly. I was almost shocked that you couldn't really detect the high alcohol level as you drank the beer. Very nice. Later as it warmed considerably, you could definitely note the warmth from the alcohol but this was neither distracting nor unpleasant.

Drinkability was rather high for a single serving meaning this is no session beer.

Very nice effort, only outdone by the Crème Brulee Stout. But that's a story for another review!

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

A- Pours a nice dark brown and is almost completely opaque

S- Super chocolatey and sweet

T- Very chocolatey, sweet, and definately notes of cream. No alcohol taste (or burn) at all, which is pretty impressive for 11% abv.

M- Thick and creamy not unlike chocolate milk...
Very mild carbonation

D- Almost dangerously drinkable.

This is the easily the chocolatiest (if thats a word) of chocolate stouts.

3.42/5  rDev -19.7%

This beer was a nearly opaque brown, clear, with a half finger head. I tried shining an LED flashlight through it and almost nothing came through.

Aroma was all chocolate at first, sweet and sugary. The comparison I red below to Hershey's Syrup is a valid one. Roasted grains came through only when I went hunting for them.

Taste was of strong roasted grains, followed by a splash of bitterness. A burst of alcohol came through at the swallow, and the finish was faint chocolate with that lingering bitterness. The chocolate came through stronger when I took a much larger swallow, but the bitterness was much greater as well. Not a great trade-off.

Mouthfeel was much too thin for a double stout. It just didn't pull it together for me.

Drinkability gets low marks too. It was all I could do just to finish the bottle. Of course, since I can open my throat and drink a lot at once, and I was looking for a buzz, I managed to do it.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance - pours cola colored, but sets up quite opaque in the SA glass. A sparse cover of light mocha, some thin but sticky suds plant lace rings around the glass.

Aroma - Hershey's syrup, with a light touch of roasted grain. Mmmm...

Taste - sweet roasted grain up front, followed immediately by a dark chocolate syrup flavor. Chocolate stout is right. Some alcohol warmth on the swallow followed by an absolute wave of bittersweet chocolate, I believe there is some hop bitterness mixed in there, too. Finishes warm, with melted chocolate and a boozy warming in the belly. A little candyish at times, and the abv has moments where it tends to overpower the other flavors. Great beer.

Mouthfeel - a little thin for an impy stout. The carbonation is even and though it has a nice smoothness, the body could be a little bigger too.

Drinkability - this is one of those beers where I could care less about the abv. An absolute dream to think of drinking a few of these in an evening. I don't think I could, it would be a waste to put this beer across tastebuds that are dulled out. An awesome treat that I'll nab more of it they brew it again. Interesting to see what a few years will do to this. I'd like to see some melding of flavors and mellowing of the alcohol age this into one killer brew.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

Black and grey 22 oz. bomber bottle with a wrap around silk screened label. The main picture is that of 4 dark chocolate squares stamped with the Southern Tier symbol. To the right of the picture is a Snifter with the proper serving temp, the Mayan symbol for chocolate, the beer's specifications, ingredients, and 3 lengthy paragraphs. The frist two paragraphs talk about the histoy of chocolate from it's humble start with the Mayans and how it was made popular by Louis XIV. The last one talks about how well chocolate works with Southern Tier and that this beer is part of their Black Water series. Like every other Southern Tier big beer bottle, the only thing missing is a date of some sort. A vintage year would be sufficient.

Appearance: I followed Southern Tier's suggestion and poured this beer into a Snifter. I don't have a Southern Tier Snifter, so I poured it into "Maudite" Snifter. When it was poured, this beer actually looks like they melted down chocolate. Not a milk chocolate, but one of those dark chcoclate bars that are from 90% to 100% cocoa beans. The color of this beer was absolutely great, but the head of foam was less to be desired. I guess chocolate shouldn't have a head of foam on it. The head of foam was about 1/2 inch in height and a dark tan/mocha color. it would have been nice if the head of foam didn't quickly dissipate into just a handful of tan/mocha rings. No streaks of lace or even spots of lace. At least the beer had it's color going for it!

Smell: It would be an under statement if I just said that this beer smelled like chocolate. It smelled exactly like they melted down quite a few 90% to 100% cocoa bean chocolate bars. There were many different types of chocolate in the aroma. There was Belgian chocolate, bitter dark chocolate, a hint of milk chocolate, and rich chocolate malts. It would smell exactly like a chocolate milkshake if it wasn't for the subtle touch of roasted barley flakes that was hiding in the background. There was no other new aroma after the barley flakes. I don't see how any aroma could get pass the excessive chocolate aroma. A pleasure to smell! I couldn't get enough of this chocolately aroma.

Taste: Was this beer sweet, at first. Not only was the first taste a form of sweet milk chocolate, but there was plenty of candy sugar riding along with the chocolate. After the appearance and aroma, I thought that this beer was going to taste like chocolate all the way, but the candy sugar said "Nope!" After the candy sugar the taste goes slightly bitter with bitter dark chocolate, Belgain chocolate, chocolate malts, a hint of roasted barley flakes, a tiny touch of bitter roasted hops, a splash of alcohol, and this this sweet chocolately beer finishes up with more candy sugar. It would have been to nice have a beer that tasted just like chocolate, but it was also nice to see the chocolate let out a few more flavors from the back. Sometimes it got too sweet, but it's still a great beer to drink.

Mouthfeel: It was a full bodied beer, but it just barely made over the medium bodied border. It featured a chocolately and slightly bitter aftertasteof candy sugar, bitter dark chocolate, Belgian chocolate, and chocolate malts. This chocolately aftertaste will stick around in your mouth for a few seconds. My bottle says this has a 11% ABV. Are they kidding? There's no way it was that high. If I had to guess the ABV%, I would say somewhere in the 8% to 9%.

Drinkability: Boy is this beer sweet! I use the term "sweet" in a good way and as reference to the beer itself. This beer can get a bit on the sweet side, but it's a frickin' chocolate beer. It has to be sweet! If you like chocolate and who doesn't, then you need to wrap your lips around this sweet treat! it would be a pleasure to drink this beer once again.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Darkest chocolate brown with garnet glimmerings at the bottom edge of the glass. Not a black hole. An attractive chunk of golden beige colored foam sits atop the beer. It looks like a thick and creamy coffee milkshake as it melts, leaving a fine sheet of tattered and torn lace as it does so. This is a gorgeous stout.

The aroma is everything I'd hoped for and more. Choklat is the chocolatiest smelling beer that has ever entered my glass. In fact, it smells more like chocolate than beer... which is why it isn't quite perfect. I wonder how many times the word chocolate will be used in this review. Answer: 13.

Unlike the nose, the beer actually tastes like a chocolate stout, not melted chocolate. Leave it to Southern Tier to get the proportions of roasted barley and chocolate (both malt and the real thing) juuust right. Rogue Chocolate Stout has just been dethroned.

It's hard to describe the flavor because I can't stop drinking the beer long enough to put it into words. Here goes... double chocolate ice cream covered with fudge sauce, cocoa nibs and a light dusting of espresso powder. Each mouthful is a rich chocolate explosion of epic proportions. An ABV of 11.0% has to be a misprint.

Chinook and Willamette hops provide just enough spicy fruitiness and bitterness to take Choklat to the next level. Any brewery can add high-quality chocolate to their double stout, but only one of the very best can craft an exceptional beer in the process. And there's no doubt that this is exceptional beer. It says so right next to the 5.0 on the scoring menu.

Although the mouthfeel is great, it isn't as fantastic as it could be. A little more melted chocolate silky creaminess and viscous chewiness would have earned it the ultimate number.

It's a tribute to the talented brewers at Southern Tier that Choklat is the best chocolate stout that I've ever had and Jahva is the best coffee stout. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the most delicious marriage of roasted malt, Belgian chocolate and hops that the world has ever seen. Thanks a million far333.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Chocolate beer? Hell yes! For anyone, and I mean anyone, who enjoys chocolate, this will be the beer for them. From first smell, to final sip, this beer screams chocolate.
Serious-the smell is of a fine Belgian chocolate, the taste is like a chocolate milk shake made from that fine Belgian chocolate, mixed with some love and a fat doughboy called Yeasty-the alcohol smacks ya right in the kisser with a handful of baby powder....so don't tickle this doughboy in the belly, this is a serious beer for those who will accept and submit to a chocolate flavored treat. Wow!

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

22 oz. bottle, 11% ABV. Pours nearly jet black, maybe some brown hues. Nice mocha head that holds together well, especially considering the size of this beer.

What a nose on this. Tons of chocolate syrup, chocolate chip cookies, fudge, and brownies. This is every bit as rich and robust as it sounds in the aroma department. I don't think a chocolate beer could smell any better.

Huge amounts of chocolate and caramel malt give this a slight cookie dough feel. Chocolate syrup and fudge, and brownies. Just a bit of bitterness to keep this from being too sweet. There are so many layers of different chocolates.

Thick and creamy like a milkshake. Alcohol is very well hidden. What an incredible dessert beer. This thing is top notch.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Review based on notes: Got this from BitterBill, cheers Bill!

Pours an effervescent ebony/black with 3 fingers of tan head. Great lacing & average head retention

S: Loads of chocolate & some iron

T: Bitter choclate, roasted malt, milk choclate, & a touch of leafy & minty hops up front. A bit of ghost alcohol, vanilla, some coffee and a great balance of bitter & sweet as this warms. Finishes with coffee, iron & loads of chcolate. Almost pulled a 5.0, one me & the wife enjoyed!

MF: chewy with low carbonation, plus superb balance

The ABV is well disguised. Addictive, this could really sneak up on you, a choclate lovers drink of choice!

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%

22 oz bottle

A: Pours a deep black under a small, creamy tan head. Slight retention and lace.

S: Wow. Somehow pulls off milk chocolate, sweet chocolate and bitter dark chocolate all at the same time. The chocolate character is perfect, eventually switching between a dark chocolate bar to fluffy chocolate cake. If you blind folded me and put this under my nose, I would never guess it was a beer. Excellent smell.

T: Really nice taste. Complex, dominated by chocolate. A sweet character up front with a huge bitter chocolate in the back end. Slightly warm in the finish. Gets better with every sip.

M/D: Full creamy body, bit of prickly carbonation. Good drinkability. A sipper, but something that could be sipped all night. Absolutely delicious beer. Excellent. Every time I take another sip or smell, I just get hit with chocolate cake.

Pours a dark black deep and inviting, first smell is chocolate, powdery, candy, milk solids, just a sweet caramel, chocolate syrupy nose with little else breaking through the dominate chocolate sweetness. The head is about 1inch thick strong brownish.

The taste is chocolate syrup, wow real rich chocolate, delicious taste, a bit of bitter hop feel but mostly a sweet beer that is inviting but only for chocolate lovers.

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%

22oz. brown bomber

A: snifter, pours a pitch black obsidian color. nice, rich tan head. moderate head retention. decent lacing.

S: smells like a fresh baked batch of dark rich brownies or a hershey bar.

T: it literally taste like a damn chocolate bar. dark rich chocolate bar. Unreal.

M: thick, smooth and creamy. nice bite from the high alcohol. perfect carbonation.

D: The 11% is high, but you can drink the hell out of this one if you like chocolate.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz bottle shared with the girlfirend.

A-Black, small whitish head about 1 inch.
S-Chocolate(surprise), cocoa, little vanilla, some earhty hops smell
T-Wow. Really surprised how much like chocolate this tastes. Smooth sweet and bitter dark chocolate. More vanilla, more hoips, sugar. Chocolate flavor really consolidates as it warms up. Where is the 11% alcohol?
M-Smooth and creamy with a tickle of carbonation on the swallow. Becomes really smooth as it warms
D-Dangerously drinkable especially as it warms

Not the most balanced beer, but one that wasn't the point. You should try this one.

1.92/5  rDev -54.9%

Black in color with a very light brown head. Cake batter, banana and chocolate sauce aroma, very expressive, but not complex. Flavor is an assault of chocolate covered banana and even more chocolate. So, so one dimensional. Mouthfeel is fairly thin and could be more coating and have more weight. I thought I was drinking a beer, I guess not. I'm really glad I tried this before collecting some. It sucks, it really does.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

22 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with todd1, thanks for the opportunity to try this top 100 brew, split with girlfriend and her dad tonight, poured into an old Budweiser mug with the three frgos on it

A-Black and oily looking, a little thinner body than expected, 3/4 inch forthy tan head, stuck around for close to ten minutes, nice retention, some lacing at the beginning

S-Chocolate, both milk and dark, roasted sweet malts, noble hops, real cocoa, burned barley, cream, butter, cookies, and more chocolate

T-I was wondering if I was drinking a milkshake or a beer for the first few sips, well maybe that is an exaggeration but I am trying to emphasize how much milk chocolate was in this bad boy, started off with cocoa, sweet malt in the middle filled with candied sugar, almost some coffee flavor in the finish, dry from some hoppiness in the aftertaste as well, got sweeter and thinner as it warmed but went down even less easily, not balanced but I did not expect it to be, lots of chocolate and it was quite tasty but super thick and heavy, limiting how much you can drink

M-Sweet, chewy, and slightly dry mouthfeel, a little syrupy but not very full at the same time, carbonation level was decent, taste lingered a long time, chocolate gave a sweet sensation

D-Could not drink more than ten ounces of this stuff and could barely get my seven or eight down tonight, heavy on the stomach, sweet, alcohol is well hidden though, 11% could definitely get you though

Have not had many Southern Tier brews but this one was one of the better ones I have tasted, most chocolate I have ever tasted or smelled in a beer and yes it even beat out Dr. Dremo's donut stout, this could probably age for several years, would drink again, certainly recommended

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company