Join our email list →

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,538 | Hads: 5,030
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to PEBKAC for this one - Top 100 BIF

I got hit pretty hard by the flu and sadly had to look at this everytime I went to the refridgerator. Finally, I felt well enough to venture back into beer country and guess what my first choice was?

Being a longtime fan of Rogue's Chocolate Stout, this has been in my Wants for sometime. It was dark as night with a dancing cappuccino colored head that laced throughout. The initial scent was espresso. A deeper inhale brought out all of the wonder dark chocolate tones. A sip provided me with a chewy molasses mouthful of chocolate goodness. Hops even tried to punch through in the end.

It wasn't until I was done with it til the 11% ABV crept up on me. Woah. A tasty desser beer here.

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

much thanks to AKBelgianBeast for sharing this, while I was brewing up an Imperial IPA (amongst other treats including a Westveleteren 12)!

Dark as a stout should be. Good head quickly dissipates.

Smells like chocolate. Not nestles, chocolate. Real chocolate. Good chocolate.

Tastes like chocolate (see above). Chocolate milk comes to mind, but it's clearly beer.

very smooth and creamy.

Goes down way too easily for something weighing in at 11%! One of the world's great beers, assuming you like sweet, deceptively strong, very chocolate stouts.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first impression was as follow: "... good god..."

Fitting, it may seem, for this bean of the gods.

Into a nonic pint glass, pours an impenetrable black, no hues, no rings of the darkes brown, nothing. A tan head sits atop the colorless mass, a few swirls bring it back. Lacing in rings, then splotches, then arches. The cacao aroma tears out of the bottle, the first whiff a sense that this is no treat, no simple candy, this is something more sinister, and seductive.

The cacao seems a little like Nestle quick mix, but warm boozy alcohol and a deep, thick maltiness vanish and thoughs of such a childish joy ride. This is a serious bottle of suds, but not the deathly black mean type. It has its share of heavily roasted coffee, thick molasses, roasted malt, a slight bitter bite... and the chocolates, the bittersweet, the sweet, the sugary chocolates, they are complex they... reminds me of my moms molten chocolate fudge brownies... This is a beer to combat all the stereotypes.

The mouth is warm, above all, not that the abv isn't well hidden, its just nice and warm. Its also damn smooth, not quite slick, there is enough carbonation to put a little zing in it.

Overall, ... ya. Outrageous. Outrageous, and I can't image this getting a better score, because unfortunately, for all the insanely delicious chocolate in it, it veers a smidge too far away from beer and into the vague realm of 'dessert beers.' I would have loved for it not to be classified as such, but as tasty, as delicious as I find it, its just a bit much for me. So, as I step away, caress my ego, I'll simply say; well done. You have successfully made chocolate a bad ass motha fucka.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Picked up this particular bottle at my local brew store but I also received one from Drseamus in the Big Black Booty BIF. This is the 3rd or 4th of these I've had but I've just never got around to reviewing it. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a pitch ass black that allows zero light in or out. This is definitely the darkest stout I've ever seen. A nice quarter inch dark tan head forms and fairly quickly recedes. A small collar is left with no cap and a bit of really small spotty lacing.
Smell- Loaded with oogles of chocolate of all kind. Nice sweet milk chocolate and plenty of dark bitter baker's chocolate. A bit of caramel is present reminding me of those Betty Crocker caramel brownies my mom used to make. Awesome!
Taste- Pretty much exactly like the nose. Loads of milk chocolaty goodness that is a lot like Nestlé's syrup with a bit less sweetness. Bitter baker's chocolate is gritty and nice with a bit of hop in the finish. Some coffee is also noticeable but not really until the end. The hop continues in the finish leaving almost citrus notes. A bit of alcohol shows at the end but for the most part the 11% is hidden really well.
Mouthfeel- Thick and full-bodied with a almost syrupy consistency and a nice bit of light, tingly carbonation and some light alcohol warming.
Drinkability- This is a really good beer if you love chocolate. It's just over-the-top chocolaty and I really enjoy it. It can be a bit sweet at times but not to an extreme and not overly cloying. All the beers in the Blackwater Series are really really awesome but this one probably takes the cake. Fantastic beer!

4.06/5  rDev -4.9%

650 ml.
Alc. 11.0% by Vol.
Served at 50 degrees in a Dogfish Head snifter
Stamped '227 A2 21:41' in ink near the bottom rim

Appearance - no light permeability except on the farthest reaches of the deep space blackness; tan head has short life; sparse lace; midway, its sets to a lifeless black ink in the glass; the abv can hand 1 excuse to the Vanity 101 professor here but that's good for .5

Smell - I considered going on a Bubba Gump shrimp ramble about the varieties of chocolate that I smell but I'll stick to chocolate syrup (early) and a bag of spent chocolate malts (very prominent later in the bottle); raisins; molasses; muted but credible, second-half dose of alcohol

Taste - here comes the big train; mirrors the nose with the addition of more of a bitter chocolate; hops try (and fail) to fight through grains and the alcohol -- which comes through late and hangs on for the aftertaste; hop shot rises in the aftertaste as well; with as much malt presence, its shocking that there's enough hops in the process to counter but they hold on admirably (but again, they lose); this one could benefit from cellar time

Mouthfeel - nice balance of carbonation and slickness with a deduction for some cutting alcohol; more exciting on the first of two pours

Drinkability - the potency of the aftertaste and the quality feel gave me time to sit back and analyze with no immediate need to dive back in

It's a meal and dessert in a glass. Slow down. This is a low speed zone and the chocolate tanker is coming through. Since its still March Madness season, Choklat is a quality 5 seed, but its definitely 1 and done. I'm going to hold 1 for a year and come back for another sample.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Aww man, joe1510 hooked me up with a bunch of ST brews ina nice trade, mucho thankos again Joe!

My God! No wonder this one is rated so high on BA - pure chocolate heaven. Dark, <heavy> and drinks like a freakin dream. Chalky and gritty, this is one heckava stout. Black as night, tan head - and let it warm to 50 degrees as the label recommends.

I'm sipping on this, but the 11% is NO WHERE to be found (except for the lil' buzz it's generating). And I'll tell ya, it's very well balanced with a shitload of hops in the finish.

Maybe the 65 degree sunshine weather is influencing my review, but this is pure beer heaven.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

So I was expecting a big chocolate flavored beer and that's exactly what I got. In the smell at first is a sour chocolate smell, probably because it was a bit too cold. As it warms up the smell is like cocoa powder. The taste is ALL milk chocolate. Ok there's a lot of alcohol that comes out as it warms as well but this is like drinking chocolate milk. There is still a slightly roasty barley finish. Very very good but almost a bit hard to drink, even if it does taste so good. Great in small quantities.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Black with mahogany highlights, tan head, very little retention, some leg/lace.

S: HUGE Bittersweet/bakers chocolate aroma, with underlying hints of molasses and port. The chocolate is phenomenal, but if it wasn't quite so overwhelming, this aroma would be a '5'.

T: Chocolate; VERY warming alcohol, like a chocolate martini; good bitterness, hint of molasses. Again wonderful, but a little one-dimensional.

M: Really well-attenuated (considering the strength), quite dry, moderate body has a slight creaminess.

D: It's a sipper.

2.3/5  rDev -46.1%

22 oz bomber from local Binny's

A: dark black pour with a minimal tan head
S: chocolate is there with a weird astringency. Dark chocolate is the predominant smell.
T: big chocolate front with an astingent/steel aftertaste that wrecks it. Almost undrinkable.
M: OK
D: Sorry folks, this may have been a bad bottle but I think it's just over the top for me, not balanced, not even a sipper, just too much of something off-putting in there. I would try this again only if someone else has a tasting or something, too many other good stouts out there.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks yobdoog for this one. Large capped bottle poured into a snifter.

Nice pitch black body, unfortunately generating little tan head with minimal retention, certainly due to high ABV although could certainly be improved.
Aroma is milk chocolate, with some minor roasted malts and coffee distantly in the background, suggesting a sweet brew.
Medium bodied and creamy, it shows the expected milk chocolate, sweet notes, but it is well ballanced by a heavy roasted, almost burnt malt note, bittersweet chocolate, and even what I believe were some hops at the end; it starts sweet, evolves bitter to bittersweet and ends dry - well balanced!
A second bottle, aged one year, shows more sweetness with little roasted malts.
A good "chocolate stout", but inferior to Rogue's. Still worthwhile. I would suggest drinking fresh - more complex and interesting, better balanced.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Nothing chocolatier (is that a word) drinkability is tough considering it's so strong, it hits quickly (like a fart in a car) cause it goes down so smoothly. This is hard to get in some parts of the country. This is one for any beer tasting, will make your guests drool!

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a nice dark, opaque color with some nice head, but little lacing. Excellent scent, a nice burnt grain/coffee aroma with a great dark chocolate kick. Great taste, too, an excellent stout as is, but the dark chocolate flavor is absolutely great. Goes down pretty well, although the large alcohol percentage makes it slightly rough. It's like the Hershey's Peanut Butter Cup commercial... "You got your stout in my dark chocolate!" "You got your dark chocolate in my stout!"

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

The beer pours a thick black with a very small brownish-tan head. Smells of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, hot fudge, and a hint of roasted coffee. Upon the first sip, I knew I was in for a real treat. The beer tastes of smooth chocolate. Not necessarily dark chocolate, but not milk chocolate. This is a chocolate flavor I have rarely tasted. The beer was brewed with fine Belgian chocolate. That's the taste. It's a great chocolate flavor. The roasted flavors are there, but just as an afterthought and balancing act. This is one very drinkable beer for the 11% ABV. I didn't even notice it at all.

I had this as dessert. It would pair well with ice cream.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Beer pours nice dark black color with a nice tan creamy head. The aroma hits quick with alot of chocolate , hints of vanilla and carmel. A nice mouthfull dominated by rich creamy milk chocolate with a touch of caramel, vanilla and a little alcohol. Definatly a great dessert beer! Can't believe its 11% abv!

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to pelican for the chance to try this beer. Pours black with an okay head that fades to a thin ring. Sweet aromas of chocolate and carob, a bit chalky. More cocoa than dark chocolate aroma. The taste is extremely chocolatey with deep cocoa and some dark chocolate flavors. Some chalky/dusty notes, but diminished from the smell. A little bit nutty, and a little bit roasty, but this is all about the cocoa. Rich and mouthcoating, unbelievably rich and dark flavored. They definitely succeeded in trasfusing cocoa flavors to this beer, but with so much chocolate evident, I'd prefer a better grade of chocolate here. To that extent I'm a tad disappointed- not that it isn't quite a good beer.

4.84/5  rDev +13.3%

Thanks to tprokop7 for this bottle...

A: A dark/black stout. Nothing exceptional, doesn't have legs on the glass the way some other stouts do. Small amounts of carbonation, a thin amount of light brown foam clings to the glass just to get the point across...

S: Easily the best aroma of any stout ever made (in my humble opinion). Smells predominantly of liquid tootsie-roll (if you can imagine). Liquid chocolate candy...

T: Doesn't taste quite as chocolate as the smell would suggest.... but close. Thick, rich, burnt, cofffie, malty, chocolatey goodness. This is what you get. The strongest chocolate flavor I've had yet in a stout...I like over the top beers, and this baby is over the top!

M: Decent body, thick, syrupy, but not extreme.

D: Drinkability is decent. Drink enough and you'll be burping chocolate. Thick and rich, 1-2 glasses will do you in for the night....but you'll have pleasant dreams...

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%

I got this via Beer Powerball. Thank you Shaebs99!!

I had really been looking forward to this. It sounds so delicious. Maybe I had too high of expectations, I don't know. :(

Looks and smells awesome. Dark chocolate color with a small tan head that doesn't stick around for too long. This smelled of chocolate before I even managed to get my nose near the glass. After sticking my face in the glass, all I could get was chocolate...sweet sticky chocolate. Smells like Hershey's. I was really expecting a taste sensation!

So, took a sip....chocolate and liquor. Honestly, I would best describe it as chocolate milk with some vodka tossed in. I really really wanted to like this beer, but it was tough to get through the bottle and I was sharing it. It's something to try at least once, I guess.

If only it tasted like it smelled, this would have been great.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

22oz received from nlmartin in the black booty BIF 08. Served @ 65˚F in my Stone RIS goblet.

The nose is the first thing that stands out, consisting of a huge glob of Hershey's syrup and a faint hint of hops in the way back. Impressive head considering that all that chocolate adds quite a bit of fat; retention is sub-par, as is lacing.

A bit medicinal at this temp, perhaps it's best a bit cooler. Velvety texture carrying a huge wave of sweet milk chocolate. The gravity must be 7 or 8 plato because it's one really sweet stout. They went big on the high-alpha hops like Rogue did and I think it works great with the chocolate. The alcohol is noticable to the trained palate but also well hidden considering the strength.

Carbonation is very low and works great with the sweet stickiness and the silky mouthfeel.

Chocolate stouts are one of my favorites and this one can go head to head with the best in its class like Rogue. Excellent!

edit: 6-14-09 just tried a bottle served in a Pilsner glass. This glass fit the beer really well. Many years ago Bernie from Monk's served me a Rogue Chocoalte Stout in a pils glass and it's stuck with me as a perfect combo. Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Had a bomber and split into two pint glasses to share. Pours a deep brown. Not as dark or creamy looking as I thought it would be. Not much of a head on this. Smells very sweet. LOTS of chocolate in the nose. Tastes like chocolate syrup and nothing else. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy. Not as thick as the Oatmeal stout but still tasty. I put this down pretty fast, so the drinkability is good, but may be too much for some. This is my second Southern Tier, and I really wish I could get this stuff regularly in Georgia.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

On tap at the Lionheart. $4.

A: Black. Tootsie roll colored head. Lots of lacing.

S: Chocolate, cocoa, chocolate syrup, tootsie rolls, cocoa nibs. Get the idea yet?

T: Chocolate and a nice roasty character. This is the most chocolate you will probably ever experience in a beer.

M: A little bit thiner on tap than in the bottle. Still super thick and creamy though.

D: Had two pints of this. No hint of the ABV at all. This beer nearly killed me.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at the Lionheart in Albany, NY- $4 happy hour special. Hot dang!! My question is, why do men feel the need to warn me, "Be careful, its 12%." I'm getting Choklat not a freakin' can of Schlitz! Ya think I don't know what I'm doing??

A- Rich, brown-black. No light's getting through this. Poured with a 1/2" dark creamy head off the tap. I haven't gotten much of a head out of the bottle. The head stayed throughout the entire pint leaving stratigraphical rings down the glass.

S- Like fermented Tootsie Rolls. Its sexy. This had to have been created by a woman who realized the need for 'period beer.'

T- Tastes lite it smells. To all the haters who have reviewed this as tasing "Too chocolaty," its called Choklat and that's what you get. Cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, chocolate covered malt balls, chocolate covered hazelnuts... you name it.

M- Seems to have poured a bit thinner on tap than out of the bottle. That's not really saying much though. Its very full bodied & smooth with low carbonation

D- Dangerously drinkable for something so rich and heavy. I'm very pleased to have several bottles of this in the cellar.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours opaque black with a three-quarter-inch head of beige.
Traces of lacework are found on the glass only for a short while.
Aromatics are massively chocolaty.
Extremely fresh, high cocoa content chocolate.
Solid chocolate drizzeled with chocolate syrup and dusted with cocoa powder.
The nose finishes with a hint of espresso and dried brownie mix.
The mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and tongue-wrapping.
The pallet is laced with a huge amount of dark chocolate, cocoa nubs, fudge-coated coffee beans, and black forest batter.
Alcohol is barely warming and barely cuts through the profile.
Finishes with ligering dark chocolate syrup, a drying bitterness, and espresso gounds.

Wowza. Did I mention chocolate? Absolutely by far the most intense chocolate experience to be found in a beer.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Very dark, completely opaque pour. The only knock is that there's not a head to bee seen.

Smells so strongly like chocolate that it's five feet from my face right now but it's like I'm holding a glass container of thick, creamy chocolate milk inches from my nose. A closer sniff reveals strong, rough nodes of roasted malt--really more like a porter than an impy but still very nice. It's room temp and a little overwhelming, to tell the truth. Strong esters of oak (not of oak aging but of wood itself, no smokiness) along with medium RIS fruits and a firm hop profile and a little dose of cola that is oddly, perfectly at home against the rest of the beer.

Tastes just about like it smells. Firm, verysmooth chocolate starts things off and that heads quickly into a wooden middle that gives way to a sourbitter finish of hops and off color malt.

I just--I mean I'm all for unique beers but this one kind of needs to come off the fence if it wants to be perfect. It's great--it's damn great--but it's just a weee bit uneven.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

The wifey and I shared a couple of bombers of this courtesy of joeybeerbelly and pvllbum.. Thanks guys!!

Very thick black brew that wafts chocolate out of it like nobodys business.. Really good looking brew that smells loaded with chocolate..

Simply marvelous blend of rich dark chocolate and roasted malts with a huge thickness and creaminess to it... This is magnificent.

Drinkability suffers a bit due to the thickness and sweetness but otherwise this is just terrific..

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from 22oz bottle(thanks orbitalr0x) into a duvel snifter. Poured a jet black color with mocha colored head that was gone after a minute. Smell is heavy chocolate aroma one of the more chocolately nose that I have come acrossed. Taste is more chocolate but not as heavy as the nose followed by a light vanilla flavor, coffee, and roasted malt flavors. The mouthfeel is thick fullbody with a sticky feel, the low carbonation makes this beer a perfect sipper for after dinner or replacement for dessert. A Great beer from Southern Tier, only wished it was distributed in SoCal.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company