Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,499 | Hads: 4,905
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Black onyx color with a 1 finger thick head that holds extremely well. Very active,fresh and hungry looking carbonation.

Dark somewhat bitter chocolate semi sweetness with a hint of chocolate powder akin to Hersheys powder but with a dark chocolate essence to it.

Taste is incredibly thick lush chewy silky chocolate. A touch of milk chocolate with more semi sweet bitterness. There are also some malty elements that come through in the background but they are faint.Finishes with a small amount of boozy heat but it is incredibly moderate and somewhat subtle given the high ABV. Very well concealed. There are also some elements of brownie or chocolate cake mix that I notice as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth coating velevety and lush--absolutely tremendous.

At 11%ABV and pretty sweet this is far from a session beer but I am definitely looking forward to trying this one again. Probably the best milk/sweet stout I have tried to date.

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Sampled on 2-26-08

Pours a very thick and completely opaque black, with a thin tan head that leaves behind big, clingy lacing.

Smell is all chocolate, sweet, like a chocolate milk. Not very beery at all.

Taste is huge, huge chocolate. Again, alot like chocolate milk. There are some malt qualities if you look, and just a hint of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, very thick and viscous. Reminds me of ... chocolate milk.

Drinkability suffers from the intensely sweet chocolate flavor. The alcohol is very well masked, though.

Overall, good for what it is, but completely one-dimensional. Worth a shot if you're in the mood.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

You only really need one word to describe this one, and that word is, chocolate. It looks, smells, and taste like choclate.

Pours a dark, dark, dark black with a chocolate milk colored head, that dissolves at a slightly moderate pace.

The nose is hit with a rich choclate syrup smell.

The alcohol taste is overpowered by the extreme chocolatey goodness, but you can catch a mild hint of hops, but the chocolate dominates.

I could drink this for awhile, as the chocolate detracts you from the high abv. Goes down extremely smooth for such a big beer.

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

Call me a curmudgeon, but I like my beer to taste like beer, you know? So I cracked this one with a little trepidation since the whole point of the beer seems to be to create something that isn't beer. Something more along the lines of a fermented chocolate malternative as opposed to an honest-to-goodness beer.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I started drinking it only to find that is actually tastes like a beer with chocolate, as opposed to chocolate in beer form. Oh, to be sure, the chocolate is the dominating aspect of this beer: it smells like a piece of really rich dark chocolate, right down to the faint waxiness many chocolates use instead of cocoa butter (generally something I frown upon, but fat and beer rarely go well together with the notable exception of my beer belly and beer bellies everywhere). Likewise, the taste is initially a blast of chocolate. It reminds me of European hot chocolate, you know, the kind that is basically a melted bar of chocolate put into a cup? Yeah. That is what we are talking about here. It is only in the aftertaste that this beer starts to resemble "beer", there is a nice and unmistakable dry acidity from the chocolate malt that brings this beer back and makes me think of a fine porter. There is also a nice citrus finish from the chinook hops. I had never thought about how well chinook and chocolate would pair, but I have to say it is genius. It is a very nice way to take a well-known aspect of American beer and marry it to something a pinch more exotic and allow the drinker to experience it in a whole new way. I like that.

The carbonation is also nice. Very faint, but if you swish it around your mouth a little bit, it takes on a nice chocolate milk texture that is very fitting for the beer. If you hold it for too long a pronounced alcohol sharpness makes its presence known but that quickly fades.

Wow. I'm impressed. Certainly a "sometimes" beer,

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

I got bottles from both nutbrown and orbitalrOx. Thanks Alan & Don!!

It pours a very dark brown with reddish hues and a 2 finger head of tannish foam.

The smell has great notes of milk chocolate, toffee, and a touch of coffee. The chocolate is ruling it here.

The taste is...so damn tasty! First and foremost, it's the chocolate. I'm tasting both sweet, which has the bigger role, and dark chocolate which, along with a small amount of coffee, give me some bitterness that helps prevent the over all flavour from becoming *too* sweet but hell, sweet is surely is and I'm loving it. There's plenty of toffee flavour here as well. Wow. I know that 1 bottle at a sitting will do it for me but the 22 ounces in that bottle are disappearing at an alarming rate. ;^)

The full mouthfeel and lowish carbonation is working its magic while the abv just gives me a little warming after the swallow. Great job in hiding the 11%, for sure.

Btw, the head retention is better than average and there's plenty of lacing hugging my glass.

Bottom line: This is, by far, the most chocolate-y brew I've ever tasted and is a real treat. If you have a chance to try some, do so!!

As a choco-holic all I can say is....This beer is amazing! This is probably the greatest beer I have ever had and it will probably take awhile to find one to top it. That being said...

Poured a jet black with an off white two finger head that dissipated to a thin ring with some heavy lacing. The smell was sweet rich chocolate. It was like opening a chocolate bar. There was a hint of coffee on the tail end as well. The taste was like an alcoholic chocolate milkshake. There was hints of coffee and roasted malts but mostly chocolate. The mouthfeel was creamy and silky like thick chocolate milk. Did I say chocolate enough yet. Even though its a strong thick brew the drinkability is still amazing. I never get tired of it and aside from the alcohol sneaking up on you a bomber is usually not enough.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

I know my wife is thrilled I'm finally opening a bottle of this since it's her absolute most favorite beer. I've had it on tap a few times but haven't sat down with a bomber until tonight.

APPEARANCE: Pours black, black, black into my Duvel tulip. The head is quite small and is tan in color. It drops immediately to a modest collar and some hazy bubbles across the surface.

SMELL: On tap it's just like Tootsie Rolls, but from the bottle the aroma is pure brownie batter. Deep, dark, luscious chocolate dominates with only a bit of coffee melding in. Other than that, there's not much else, but this has to be the most luxurious-smelling beer ever made.

TASTE: The beer's alcohol is evident at the start, but then the rich flavors begin to overwhelm it. The chocolate comes next, as expected, but seems to be much more creamy - almost milk chocolate-like. The finish sees coffee come on strong, some west coast hops make a slight appearance though nowhere near the intensity of the chocolate.

MOUTHFEEL: Wow it's thick. And creamy like a milkshake. This beer is definitely knife-and-fork-worthy. The carbonation is understandably low, but I'd like it slightly higher though not by much. It borders on syrupy otherwise.

DRINKABILITY: It's a big beer for sure. But a bomber seems appropriate despite it's strength. Excellent for dessert.

Today just felt like a big stout night, and Choklat sure delivers. With the snow and ice coming down outside, this beer is just what I needed to warm me up. I'm glad I've got a few more bottles to ride the winter out with. That is, unless my wife drinks them first.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at Coles in Buffalo.

Pours an opaque brown/black, thick tan head forms, settles to some solid lacing, nice ring, looks good. Smell is chocolate milk, toffee, roasty, coffee, some pine hops, vanilla, bread, pretty damn complex and awesome. Taste is rich, lots of chocolate milk, toffee, some brown sugar, smoke, more chocolate, light roast, excellent. Mouthfeel is full bodied with low to medium carbonation, chocolate bitter finish, super alcohol hiding, none detectable, some warmth, great beer!!!

Pours a dark brown near black. A shade short of pitch black really. The creamy tan colored head surprisingly manages to hold up despite the high alcohol content, but leaves only spotty lacing.

Smells of spruce, cocoa bitterness, and of course, Choklat.

Taste is somewhat one dimensional and comes off as Choklat icing. Faint alcohol and spruce like finish. The alcohol becomes apparent upon my cheeks rather than in my mouth halfway through the glass.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly thinner than expected. Alcohol makes only the faintest of appearances making this a dangerously drinkable brew. Southern Tier hit the Choklat flavor dead on and I credit them for refraining from making this beer overly sweet and cloying. Points away from its one dimensionality.

If available it is worth a go, but it isn't something I would describe as a must have. Unique and enjoyable.

3.62/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a light-swallowing burnt magenta, which approximates black for the most part unless back-lighting is involved. The head is brief and ashen brown, with a small, lasting collar.
A veritable S'mores on the nose, with chocolate being the obvious bandleader, but with backing graham cracker and marshmallow traits. And that's it, no trace of hops nor alcohol, and malt is vague, at best. This is chocolate. This is candy. This is not stout. But I'd be lying if I said it didn't smell delicious.
There is one simple word that adequately surmises the taste profile. And in case you failed preschool multiple times, it's chocolate. It's all over this, perhaps even more so that I would have guessed. It's also very sweet and confectionery. I'd have guessed a more bittersweet cocoa approach than this liquid fudge bath. It segues into an equally sweet and sugary marshmallow impression, still slathered in chocolate syrup. Liquid dessert, indeed.
Problem is, any beer-derived assets are virtually cloaked. There are scant traces of roasted malt on the sides and back of the tongue. Hops? Phantoms of spruce when the tongue searches around the mouth post-sip. Alcohol? Scary absent.
Initially, it's thick and decadent, as it's brings a sucrose-thick gooeyness and serves a tiny, semi-persistent bubble, which makes this mouth-bindingly huge upfront, then almost vacated by the time it goes down the throat. The first couple sips are delicious, the last few from the bomber get to be bludgeoning and a chore. Like trying to eat a bag of Hershey's bars at once.
I'm not a huge dessert fan, but I'd probably take this over a slice of cake (not tiramisu, though, I love that stuff). It's hard to rate, because it is so overbearingly chocolately, and in that sense, it succeeds. But I want more nuance and complexity. In short, I want more beer, because there are any number of directions I want this 11% stout to go towards, and it just doesn't.
It's a shame that this isn't quite thick enough to drizzle over shit, because that might be it's calling.

3.8/5  rDev -11%

Drank the beer in a pint glass, poured slow with a tan head about a knuckle to fingertip height. Smelled like chocolate. Tasted like chocolate. Finished like chocolate. Overall pleasing drinking experience. Reminded me of a chocolate Tootsie Pop. Go figure.

Enjoyed with chocolate cake the second time around. Held up very well.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

There may be nothing wrong with this beer unless you don't like chocolate. And having said that - this beer isn't just for stout lovers, its a very good stout, but its feels more chocolate than it does stout.

I didn't get that crema head that I am accustomed to (er maybe spoiled by) on some Imperial stouts (I of course could have poured it wrong). 2nd pour, I overdid it and got foam but it was crema-like. Color is a nice brown, hints of red it in, slightly opaque.

This beer's aroma is solid chocolate - all chocolate - its great - the nose get the chocolate, then the mouth - the taste is superb.

No sign of the 11% ABV - none - it drinks like a regular stout or porter and a 22 oz bomber is going down nicely.

I want to make a mole sauce out of this beer, I want to put this beer on ice cream, I want to freeze this beer on sticks and suck on it.

It's the best pairing of chocolate and brewing I have ever had - it's better than Rogue's, better than Brooklyn (and brooklyn is really good), this is better because its blended so well.

The hops come out when it warms a bit and so does the alcohol, ice cold its strongly chocolate, as it gets to room temp,, the chocolate settles and the alcohol comes forward but not overwhelmingly. Nice roasted malt taste, its very balanced.

Trade for this one, its worth it and its delicious.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

Great chocolate smell as soon as the cap came off, smelled just like a candy bar. Poured dark brown into the glass and had a very creamy tan head that stuck around. Nice malty chocolate taste with just a slight hint of the 11%. It drinks pretty well, but it took two sessions to finish the bomber off since it's more of a sipping beer. All in all a nice beer for a special occasion or a lazy Sunday.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a dark brown/black color with a light but tall brown colored head. It smells of chocolate mostly with some malty undertones. No hop scents. The taste is mainly of chocolate, like a cold hot chocolate. It is a really nice flavor for an imperial stout. It has a really good mouthfeel - very very smooth and definately didn't taste like 11% ABV. The drinkability is excellent. I could drink this beer all day if I could. This is a hell of a chocolate stout and I definately recommend it.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Consumed vom Fass on 02.14.08 at Liberty Street Tavern in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Solid head retention on this black beauty. Aromas thick from the get go with roasted malty goodness and rich, unfettered with chocolate. The flavor only goes to confirm what the nose knows. Smooth and enveloping on the palate, this one is a sneaky offering - 11%? No way. But it is. I blinked and had two of these gems before I knew what happened and felt it. The alcohol is hidden so well in this brew, thanks in large part to its well crafted malt structure and the high quality chocolate flavor profile. Rich, luscious, smooth, warming, and complex... I am proud to say I had a chance to try this one.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Pours a 1 1/2 finger head with good retention that stays for a decent amoutn of time Dark brown approaching black in color.

Smell is of bittersweet milk chocolate. This smell dominates the other smells and makes it difficult to discern other ingredients.

The taste of this beer is phenomenol if you are a chocolate lover. Bittersweet chocolate dominates. There are some cararmel malts in the back and a citrusy abrasive bitterness that is only enough to balance. A little toffeeishness and a slight roasted malt charactersitic on the finish. Undertones of coffeeish like flavors.

Full mouthfeel. Somewhat chocolatey/syrupy. Nice, though.

I could drink this all night. 11 abv is highly deceptive.

Big thanks to Deuane for such a bad ass extra.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 1pt 6oz bottle into a champagne flute. I shared this with my wife on Valentines day. Drank one serving alone and then paired it with a dark chocolate torte. Opaque black color with a thin, tan, fizzy head that receded rapidly. Minimal lacing. Didn't look like anything special.

Sweet strong milk chocolate smell. Smells like powdered Swiss Miss. Most intense chocolate smell I've experienced with this style. Smell intensifies with warming.

Taste is more of a bitter dark chocolate than the nose would suggest. Not a lot of sweetness. Hops bitterness is minimal. My wife (not a BA) thought it was very bitter, however, pairing it with the sweet chocolate torte toned this down. I thought it was spot on. No real perceptible alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Carbonation is moderate. Alcohol feel is minimal, which was surprising at 11% ABV. Quite drinkable.

Great alone. I found it fantastic when paired with a chocolate desert. One of the more intense, rich chocolate stouts I've tried.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Almost opaque, with just a faint hint of lite penetrating. Cocoa tan head gives way to a vanilla swirl like lacing. Aroma of rich chocolate and faint hint of nuttiness. These are the most intense chocolate aroma's I have smelled in a beer. Fresh hot brownies staight out of the oven. Taste is also very rich belgian chocolate and roasted malts. Very sweet and smooth, with almost no bitterness in the finish. Left with a lingering chocolate sweetness coating the tongue. Alcohol extremely well hidden in this gem. Due to it's strength wich show's itself down stream and obvious sweetness a bomber is more than enough. Shared with my wife over Valentines day desert of vanilla bean cheesecake. Made for a great pairing. Fantastic beer. I think I'm in love.

Yet another gem of a beer from Southern Tier.

Big thanks jjayjaye!

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Well its Valentines Day and what better way to celebrate than with Choklat!

A: This one pours blacker than black darker than dark with very little head. What little head there is disappears to a mere whisp on top of the coal black drink.

S: Big bold and sweet. Tons of cocoa it smells; like the hot cocoa my grandmother used to make. There are hints of cream, caramel, and coffee as well. But this one is all about the chocolate, I have smelled brownies and fudge with less chocolate aroma than this.

T: Wow! What a way to celebrate Valentines Day. The chocolate taste is off the charts. Move over Young's and Rogue this is THE CHOCOLATE, er CHOKLAT stout. Starts off with the taste of velvet chocolate that is ever so smooth and creamy. Tinges of bitter dark chocolate bites through in the middle. Caramel and hints of semi sweet chocolate then mingle in the mouth with the bitter chocolate. It finishes sort of sweet with a hint of molasses and more sweet milk chocolate.

M: Medium bodied and ultra smooth. Perfectly carbonated.

D: Very! To be honest one bomber is enough, but it is oooh sooo enjoyable and there is not even a hint of the ABV that this one packs.

Overall: Southern Tier will you be my Valentine? I am in Love with this one. The chocolate taste is off the scale and so enjoyable. There is not a better beer in the world to share with your loved one on Valentine's Day. Southern Tier never ceases to amaze me with the beers they are putting out these days.

Last of all another shout out to BeerTruth for sending this one over. You Rule! It's been awhile since we have traded, how bout round 6? Just make sure you send a bottle of Choklat so I can mix it with the framboise like you suggested.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Finally got to try this one and have to thank bwyker for this one as it was from a great trade and poured into my snifter.

A - A pitch black color comes off of this one and looks like it is rather thin with a chocolate brown carbonation trailing up the sides of the glass. A small head that doesn't stick around too long but sits on top in small bouts of carbonation that sits on top of the beer.

S - Smells like a nice powered chocolate. Actually reminds me of opening up a box of Nesquik and the smell that one gets from that. There is also a bit of caramel creaminess and a light bit of hops in there as well. There is also some coffee roastiness mixed in with the sweet chocolate as well.

T - oh wow definitely does not lie when it says it is chocolate! Got a nice deep chocolate taste that comes in from all sides and just overwhelms the mouth. There is also a nice milk flavored creaminess in there as well. There is also a nice bit of hops in there as well that adds some extra bitterness in there that keeps the chocolate from being overpowering. It also adds in some nice complexity to the sweetness and prevents this from being a normal chocolate stout. The aftertaste is surprisingly a bit more towards the hops side at first and then after that the taste is really a nice deep dark chocolate. A lot like biting into some deep 80% cocoa Lindt chocolate that leaves a deep, burnt chocolate taste in the mouth. Also have to say it does a dangerous job of hiding the alcohol taste as well especially given the 11% ABV.

MF - Not as thick as I expected at all but not at all near thin. There is a nice light carbonation in there that goes well with the cocoa aspect of the beer. The afterfeeling of the beer is mostly a nice warm feeling and light carbonation as well. The warm feeling goes along with making this warm you up like a glass of warm hot chocolate. Lovely to have on a winter's night.

D - this is really a drinkable beer and one that I would buy a ton of if I could get my hands on it. It was definitely worth a BCS in a trade to try this one. It would make a great dessert beer that you could drink by itself or would be good against the vanilla sweetness of some ice cream. Really easy to drink especially given the alcohol and the style.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle the liquid is close to black with nice carbonation. The head is mocha dark, one thick finger and leaves good lace.

The smell is lice a chocolate bar. The brew seems quite well named.

The taste is very very much chocolaty like a double chocolate cake or torte. The hops are also quite evident adding nice balance in the finish where it counts.

The mouthfeel is thick and full, with very good carbonation.

The drinkability is good, but maybe a tad too desert like. It would be hard to drink a lot of this otherwise very good and delicious brew.

Prosit, MK

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%

Bomber bottle, poured into small brandy snifter, no freshness date noted.

A- pours opaque brown- no light shines thru the center, but the edges do pick up some lighter shades of brown, like that of drip coffee. Head is minimal- pour develops a beige to espresso foam colored head, very minimal, 1 finger at best, and poor retention. Lacing is almost non-existent, depending on the intial head.

S- chocolate all over- dark chocolate aromas engulf the nose, along with bits of espresso roast wafting in and out. Somewhat boozy vanilla extract/vanilla as well is evident. Slight charcoal smell upon exhale.

T- Chocolate up front, in the middle, and at the end, no doubt about it. Bittersweet chocolate is made sweeter from caramel flavors (malt?), carrying on through to the hop bitterness at the end, which lingers, but only in the form of bitter chocolate more than any particular hops. Finish is smooth overall, save for (hop tannins?) seem to create a level of slight astringency/pucker on the tongue, but not overly so, with a slight little burn in the throat, showing off the high abv- otherwise the alcohol is very well hidden.

M- smooth, silky, full-bodied. Carbonation recedes as one drinks, much more assertive when first poured, helping to lift some of the weight off the palate.

D- so smooth, easily drinkable for a dessert beer, almost too much so since it's so smooth, sweet, and tasty. It's a chocolate dessert without the need for the dessert!

I've had this before on tap, which I actually liked better (carbonation was tighter and lasted longer it seemed), but this is still one of my favorite beers to have post meal with dessert. Had this with homemade vanilla and chocolate biscotti, making for a wonderful after dinner dessert.

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber

nearly opaque black, cola brown on the edges, with nice tan head, although it eventually fades almost completely, and leaves very little to no lacing.

aroma is chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. you can smell it on pouring. it is sweet and pungent, with hint of strong coffee and vanilla.

flavor is bittersweet chocolate, again some vanilla. sweet background and hop bitterness meld into a finish again reminiscent of bittersweet chocolate. slight acidic pucker.

very smooth and substantial. thick and silky, almost chewable, with a slight acidic or astringent texture near the finish. mild carbonation.

a great way to drink your dessert. watch out though... the 11% abv is hard to notice...

EDIT 8/2009: obviously i was too harsh on the appearance score. bringing it a little more in line with my current standards.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked up a bomber at Abe's in Bethlehem.

Pours a pitch black body with a thin tan head. The aroma is an intoxicating mix of chocolate and cocoa flavors. I swear, it's like you're walking through a chocolate factory. The flavor is less fulfilling, unfortunately, with an unpleasant alcohol taste rearing up in the and dominating the aftertaste. I suppose that's somewhat reasonable given the 11%, but maybe dialing back the strength of this beer would help. There's still the luscious chocolate flavors, like Rogue's Chocolate Stout on steroids, along with a little bit of chocolate grains.

The body is surprisingly thin for the big strength. I suppose at 11% it brings like a strong Belgian. Its not cloying like some other big stouts. I guess the only really holding this beer back is the obvious alcohol. Sure, a little more grain character would be nice, but it's still damn tasty and the drinkability is unreal. Yummy.

4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Glossy black pour with a inch and a half mocha head reducing moderately into larga magma like bubbles and thin sicky lacing.

An aboslutely astonishing chocolate aroma. Thick sweet hershey's syrup aroma. Both milk and dark chocolate aroma with a very small underlying of vanilla, caramel and black fruits. However the chocolate aroma really drowns all else out.

First off how did Southern Tier get this chocolate flavor out of this beer, wow!! Thick creamy delectable dark chocolates with whipped cream flavors, melted caramel, hints of bing cherry, vanilla, milk chocolate, cocoa, and hints of mollasses. Sweet through the mid palate and the entrance of the finish but a nice hop bitterness rounds things out at the end leaving a hop bitterness and dark tannic chocolate linger.

This may be hard to drink many of because of the sweetness on the mid palate and a slight burn in the chest. But damn is it tasty.

Curious of the ageability of this brew. I just really can't see it getting any better. However I think this could be cellared for a few years and not lose any of its luster.
Amazing the beers this brewery has been putting out. Southern Tier is completely kicking ass with its high ABV beers.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company