Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Stunner97

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Appearance- dark black to brown in color, a pitch dark color with little to no light getting through, thin tan head rapidly fades away

Smell- very strong smell of chocolate literally smells like pure chocolate, i mean this is like and pure chocolate on the nose with slight roasted malts, very good smell one of the best noses you could ever smell on a beer, if you like chocolates smell you will love this could smell this all day

Taste- beautiful flavor of chocolate and bitter roasted malts on the finish, tastes like as if chewing on bittersweet cooking chocolate, retains a good balance of good sweetness and bitterness,

Mouthfeel- heavy thick and full bodied, creamy feel

Drinkability- highly drinkable and dangerously well hidden alcohol, heavy though and definitely a sipper not one you can drink with any speed at all and is so heavy and flavorful you have to really take your time on drinking it, to me by far this breweries best beer and the best chokolat stout I have had by a good margin

04-21-2010 17:25:58 | More by Stunner97
SLeffler27

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a dark to VERY dark brown, with a big creamy mocha head and tons of fine lace. Just a sexy looking beer.

The aroma is rich bittersweet chocolate and chocolate syrup with cherry cordial drizzled over coffee ice-cream. With warmth the coffee/chocolate turns to kalua, but there is no mistake that chocolate is the star of the show.

My Dogfish Head snifter was delighted to host all that chocolate, and as the alcohol came out with warmth, malt bitterness carried the experience toward milk chocolate. Ultimately the malt flavors and bitterness return in the finish.

This offering is full bodied and creamy with just enough carbonation to keep hold it back from a syrupy mess. What starts as warm alcohol actually settles down quickly allowing a kaleidoscope of experiences. Very well done indeed.

Southern Tier has become tightly associated with these desert beers that seem to stray from the conventional beer flavors. For some this quality becomes fodder for a put-down, but for me they are a different category to explore, and we are better for the diversity of experience. One glass per night, rotated with other options, this is a great beer.

04-20-2010 20:14:08 | More by SLeffler27
Long813

Ontario (Canada)

From: Pub Italia, 22oz
Note: Bottle says 11%, label (from bar) says 9%

G: Pint

A: Pitch black body sporting an inch of mocha head. Good retention and moderate lacing.

S: Chocolate. And lots of it. Bitter chocolate mixed perfectly with caramel/molasses. Smells like tootsies rolls as a peer said.

T: The taste is magnificent. Following the aromas, bitter chocolate was huge and well mixed with caramel. It also finishes with a good amount of hops. Interesting.

M: Medium-heavy bodied, with medium-low carbonation. I was expecting this to be thicker and the amount of carbonation threw me off a bit. None the less, the combination suited the beer. Leaves a bitter/hoppy aftertaste and only the slightest amount of alcohol is present.

D: Amazing. I would enjoy drinking any of these if I could obtain them at a much lower price. Oh well.

04-19-2010 02:40:46 | More by Long813
JonB1958

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Had on tap at the Bavarian Lodge. I'm not normally a stout drinker, but others recommended I try it anyway, and so I did.

Considering it's not my favorite style, this was an impressive beer. Even before it hit the bar, I could smell the chocolate. The color is typical of this style, of course, very dark with a thick, tannish head that stays well.

Mouthfeel is very thick and rich, and in addition to the chocolate that dominates---and I mean dominates...there is nothing subtle about it--you get some coffee as well. The alcohol content is surprising, given that it's not noticeable in the tasting. It's very well disguised.

I wouldn't want to drink a lot of these--I'm not sure you could, really--but it was an interesting experience, and I wouldn't turn down another.

04-18-2010 14:54:32 | More by JonB1958
thain709

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A - A pitch black body with a small brown head...I was expecting a nicer pour from the nitrogen...decent lacing

S - Only one word comes to mind...chocolate...the aroma is straight milk chocolate with a mild roasted-ness and an underlying hop presence

T - Wow...the flavors work so well together and give this beer a lot of depth...the milk chocolate from the nose is transformed into a dark, bittersweet chocolate flavor...and that's not a bad thing...the chocolate flavor lasts the entire time it's on your palate...the roasted malts add to the boldness of the chocolate flavors...the hops at the end help make the chocolate more bittersweet

M - Medium bodied...nice and creamy, smooth from the nitrogen...the chocolate sticks to your palate

D - This has to be the best chocolate stout...the flavor is literally chocolate...and the 11% ABV is non-existent...although it might be too sweet for some I would have no problem drinking a whole bottle of this...but if you get the chance to have it on nitro...do not pass it up!

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-17-2010 18:22:58 | More by thain709
jwhawkins81

3.58/5  rDev -16%

Aroma - Bitter chocolate and hops, surprisingly complex. This really turned chocolatey as it warmed.

Appearance - Dark black brown with a quickly dissipating light brown head.

Taste - Bitter hops and chocolate lead to a little roasted malt. A lot of bitter flavors mostly of the chocolate variety. Probably too bitter for my tastes but still decent. There was a warming in my chest half way through the bottle but never really any hints of alcohol on the palate. Again like the nose chocolate came out more as it warmed.

Notes - I started drinking this beer at 51 degrees and found it a little harsh. As it warmed up the chocolate became more prominent and this beer definitely began to shine. I would buy it again but not drink it even as cold as 55 degrees.

04-16-2010 20:58:27 | More by jwhawkins81
punkrkr27

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

2008 bottle. Black pour with a frothy, tan, one-finger white head. Rich milk chocolate aroma with some vanilla, gram cracker, and a faint roast. Heavy cream and cocoa flavor with a touch of molasses, and coffee. Creamy full mouth feel with soft carbonation.

04-15-2010 14:15:19 | More by punkrkr27
WeedKing4

Ontario (Canada)

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Holy shit! I expected this to be over the top chocolate with the way Southern Tier makes their imperial beers, but this was damn delicious. It tastes exactly like a chocolate bar. Smooth milk chocolate deliciousness. I am picking up no hint of the 11% at all. Glad I got one more glass left from the bomber. This is on par with the Mokah, which I thought the Choklat didn't have a chance to compare to. I'll be ordering a case when it comes to the LCBO this fall. Woo

Got my hands on this one again. Such a delicious beer. So damn amazing. I fucking love this stuff.

04-15-2010 00:34:22 | More by WeedKing4
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a bomber with a Dirty Girl (AJ). This looks like dark chocolate melted into my pint glass. The aroma is a huge chocolaty explosion. I do not see how this chocolate stout could smell any better. The perfect desert! I have never tasted a stronger chocolate presence in a stout ever. Notes of chocolate? Chocolate is the base with notes of coffee. This is a monster desert stout. I love it. The only reason I am not giving it a perfect 5 is because the chocolate is a bit overpowering. It's a solid 4.5. One delicious smooth creamy rich chocolate bomb. Drinkability only loses the .5. For the style it's awesome - almost perfect in my opinion.

04-13-2010 17:49:37 | More by DNICE555
hayesez

Indiana

Received in a trade with BobZ. Poured into my Portsmouth tulip.

Pours a mildly thick dark brown leaving a one finger foamy tan head. Before long this is just a frothy foamy mess at the top...sure looks inviting! Very little light comes through this guy...when held up to the light, just the edges are forgiving.

So I'm in my office tonight and figured I'd get a bit of work done and crack a beer. Typing the review on one screen, knocking out some emails on the other. As I pour this one into my glass, I lean over and start typing up my review. Pretty quickly, I notice the smell of chocolate. I look over at my beer (over two feet away) and realize just how potent this thing might be. I still haven't put my nose into the glass, and I can already tell that I am going to like this.

Ok, this is ridiculous. I can't think of a beer that I have ever had that smells more chocolatey than this one. I've tried several times and quite frankly, can't smell anything other than chocolate...sweet and good.

And it tastes about as chocolatey as it smells. I took a long pull and let it linger around for awhile before swallowing this. Chocolate the whole time...sweet. It wasn't until a bit after swallowing the beer that I was hit with the roastiness. Also, just a bit hot from the 11.0% alcohol. Finally, there was little bit of a bitter chocolate finish. Other than the finish, this beer was sweet! It was a bit thicker than the pour indicated, and well carbonated.

Overall, I was impressed with the Choklat. Not something I could drink too much of as the chocolate would overwhelm me, but still a damn good beer!

Consumed: 04/12/10

04-13-2010 04:27:52 | More by hayesez
Tomdee74

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Southern Tier does seem to come full force with their flavor and that can be hit or miss.. I think this one is a huge hit I must say. This is not "a little chocolatey" or something with a hint of chocolate.. this is bigtime chocolate flavor in a glass.

A - Pours a really dark black and looked a little thick which is what i like. not much of a head or lacing but otherwise it looked really good in a tulip glass.

S - This is where this thing takes the cake you can say. Wow when you smell this you get hit with a big blast of chocolate. i couldn't wait to drink this once i smelled it. Reminds me of their pumking as the smell was so great and delicious.

T - Holy crap this thing is a chocolate bar. There is not much else to say. I didn't taste the alcohol at all. I know many people have said this and i totally agree that you don't need to pair this with anything. I also think you could absolutely hate beer but love chocolate and you will be a fan of this beer. I truly enjoyed this beer.

M - take a sip and let it just sit in your mouth and you'll be taken aback at the immense chocolate flavor this leaves behind. Smooth and creamy and chocolate...

D - Okay it is great and i loved it; however, this is not something i would drink often. and i wouldn't even want a whole bomber myself as this is great to share with some friends as it truly is a dessert beer. i will definitely seek this one out again. i think my wife might even like to try this one someday.. this is a definite "A" beer in my book and a great job by southern tier!!

04-11-2010 13:13:25 | More by Tomdee74
coachdonovan

Rhode Island

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours jet black with a 1/2 inch tan head. Without a true snifter, my Portsmouth tulip will suffice, and this looks glorious in the glass. Aroma is straight chocolate. Not beer, not coffee, not anything but chocolate. Actually smells more like milk chocolate than dark chocolate; maybe a little bit like homemade chocolate milk.

Taste is to match - chocolatey smooth. Not at all creamy, but the decent carbonation levels keep it from being too syrupy. My primary criticism comes at the end; I guess I should expect it with 11% abv, but this finishes hot. Drinkability suffers when you add that to the 22oz bottle, but maybe that's my fault for drinking the whole thing by myself. This is a perfect dessert beer to share among 2-4 friends. No need to pair it with anything - hate to use the cliche but this really is "dessert in a bottle."

04-11-2010 02:18:47 | More by coachdonovan
Hex92

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

WOW!. That is some serious chocolate flavor. Head disappeared almost immediately. No lacing. But other than that this beer is great. I wouldn't want to drink it everyday, but it is an amazing beer. BIG TIME chocolate flavor. You can't taste the alcohol at all. Nice thick mouth feel and goes down smooth as a Hershey Kiss. I am definitely going to pick this one up again if I see it

04-09-2010 00:56:28 | More by Hex92
mikey711

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Batch 1, I have no idea when it is from but i know it is batch one, received from a friend

A: Dark syrupy black that doesnt allow any light to get through. A very nice mocha colored head sits on top and retains quite well, sitting with about a quarter of an inch for quite some time. Lacing is decent as well

S: It smells like herseys chocolate syrup, just chocolate, not roastiness, just chocolate. A bit too much on the sweet side for me

T: This is a dessert beer for sure, but given the time that it has sit, it has mellowd out quite nicely. The chocolate is the prominent flavor but it is a bit like a chocolate milkshake which is rather pleasant

M: Very nice and creamy feel, like a milkshake. it is nice that the sweetness is not cloying and it is very smooth. No heat is present either.

D: Surprisingly for the abv this one goes down very easy

04-06-2010 23:36:52 | More by mikey711
MisterClean

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to Abecall for sharing

A - Pours dark brown with 2 fingers of cappuccino head. Dissipates fast. Little-moderate carbonation.

S/T - Lots and lots of chocolate, and bittering hops. The richness of the chocolate is just overwhelming, while the bittering hops add support.

M - Full-bodied, well-balanced, and finishes surprisingly dry.

D - Dangerously sessionable. Thinking this beer along with some Marvin Gaye has the unique power of being the APR (automatic panty remover).

04-04-2010 22:01:14 | More by MisterClean
Kallessin

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours very dark brown, almost black) with orange/amber highlights. First pour had a very short lived small brown cocoa head on it. Second pour stayed around a few seconds longer.

Smells of very strong bittersweet dark chocolate with some molasses, figs and raisins. Some deep roasted notes with a few hints of alcohol.

The flavor, much like the aroma, tasted like very intense bittersweet dark chocolate, figs, raisins, as well as, some roasted coffee beans and hint of licorice. A really creamy mocha flavor. The alcohol is hardly present at all and not much bitterness.

Thick, full bodied and creamy with a little grittiness. A tingly warming sensation. Sticky mouth coating.

A really amazing beer. It should be a sipper, but the lack of alcohol flavor makes this a dangerous beer. Fantastic flavor, rich and robust and great aroma make this one the best Imperial stouts I've had.

04-04-2010 14:04:53 | More by Kallessin
hoegaardenhero

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

A- nice full bodied appearance. Black with ruby highlights; has the appearance of coffee; quarter inch tan foam, decent retention; limited movement

S- coco, nutmeg, brown sugar, caramel, malted grains (for those of you who have ever had the chocolate beverage Milo by Nestle, it smells exactly like it)

T- this beer takes your mouth on a flavor journey. When it first hits your tongue it tastes sweet, then you get flavors of chocolate. Then when it hits the back of your tongue it becomes bitter. Once swallowed, the aftertaste is similar to the taste left in one's mouth after eating a chocolate covered espresso bean. Not too sweet. Mmmm...

M- small bubbles hit your tongue immediately; not too thick at all

D- delicious! Definitely captures the taste of chocolate. I recommend it for any chocolate lover!

03-30-2010 03:47:48 | More by hoegaardenhero
MasterSki

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from early 2009. Served in a pint-shaped Goose Island taster glass.

A - Pours with a late-rising dime of tan foam that sizzles quickly to a light haze. No ring or lacing on top of a very, very dark brown that is slightly lighter at the fringes.

S - Hershey's chocolate syrup, malted milk balls, chocolate icing. Incredibly sweet, without much else going on. Alcohol is well-hidden I guess. Bonus points for achieving what they set out to do.

T - Taste is less good, with lighter chocolate over top of a pretty bland stout base - not much in the way of roastiness or complementary flavors. Lots of residual dark chocolate and earthy bitterness, and a bit of booze as well.

M - Low carbonation, and a medium, slightly watery, body that seems a little thin for the ABV. I think a little more carbonation might have actually helped. There's also a bit of warmth after a while. Very sticky residual texture.

D - I'm glad I split this bomber with others, as I can feeling my heart rate accelerating. Drinking a whole bomber would probably result in the loss of a limb. I love the chocolate in a Hunahpu's, but this is a one-trick pony here.

03-29-2010 04:19:59 | More by MasterSki
ChrisPro

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Have had numerous times but officially rating a bottle from Malt & Vine.

Pours a nice dark black with good head that lingers.

Aroma is nice dark belgian chocolate/cocoa.

A bit thick and oily, but the amazing chocolate taste with hints of vanilla reminds me of a tootsie roll. Alcohol is hidden well.

Definitely an incredible stout and I'm biased because I love my stouts huge and sweet.

03-29-2010 02:06:37 | More by ChrisPro
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Sprecher nonic. 11% ABV, 27 degrees plato, 195 degrees lovibond, ingredients listed, serve at 48 degrees, serve in a snifter.

Thanks to my cousin Dan for the surprise of bringing this over!

A - Clear on the pour but totally black with a massive tan head. Lower retention could be from the alcohol level but it left thick lace all over the glass.

S - Intoxicating aroma of dry, powdery cocoa and rich milk chocolate. The aroma bursts out in the pour. Almost like a tall glass of Ovaltine. Roasted malts hide behind the chocolate nose. The smell transforms into a bittersweet chocolate.

T - Rich flavor profile full of cocoa nibs and mocha with delicate but powerful bittersweet chocolate. The flavor is very robust and rich. Dry roasted malt bitterness finishes it out.

M - Rich, full-bodied and thick to the point of it being filled with melted chocolate. It starts sweet and soft with a smooth texture and slowly progresses to a balanced bitter, dry finish.

D - Very good but a slow-drinking beer that could pair well with tons of deserts. A bit too rich to be anything more than a sipping beer.

03-28-2010 23:18:34 | More by BeerFMAndy
blackc5

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a 22oz'er at 49F into a tulip.

A - Deep black with a moderate amount of mocha cream colored foam that fades fairly quickly. Thinnish lacing.

S - Pure chocolate. Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and just a hint of stout on the nose - malts, a pinch of hops. Definitely a bit of alcohol as well.

T - Very very chocolately. This is definitely a desert sipper. Sweet chocolate dominates at first, fading to bittersweet dark chocalate. Almost too chocolaty IMHO - wish I could sense the stout backbones a bit more. But, definitely can sense the alcohol - it is fairly well hidden in the chocolate taste, but surely is notable in the warmth as you sip. Go slow at 11% and enjoy this one after a fine meal.

M - Full bodied and creamy smooth - little in the way of carbonation, but you can always get a hot chocolate/chocolate syrup sensation as you sip this.

D - Considering the ABV, quite good, although it is almost too sweet by itself. Would surely pair well with chocolate desserts or vanilla ice cream. We split 22oz four ways, and it was definitely enough for us all - your senses just get overloaded with chocolate.

03-28-2010 21:59:40 | More by blackc5
udubdawg

Kansas

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Nice thick pour, very dark brown in color. Head is a lighter tan than I expected, but it lasts longer than I expected too. Nice, very inviting.

I could talk about the various stuff it smells like, comparing it to this dessert or that brew...waxing poetic about the feelings it invokes. Or I could tell you it smells like chocolate.
If I was blindfolded I'd tell you it WAS chocolate. If you told me I was wrong I'd tell you to fuck off and leave the chocolate when you go.

I am happy that the flavor is both chocolate and stout instead of just the former...It is the first big Southern Tier brew that i didn't think was extremely "hot" which is another plus. there's even a bit of bitterness that provides a tiny bit of balance to the ample malt and other sugars here. I tell myself it's bittersweet chocolate. Oh, yeah - sweet. It is, very. this is a bottle I share with a friend. Tasty beer, but too much of a good thing.

Surprisingly with all that sweetness and richness of flavor, the mouth is a little thin. If I'm being honest I think it's appropriate for the style but regardless the mouthfeel is short of the huge thick chocolate dessert image that the flavor and aroma bring to mind.

I don't really sip this beer...but don't really have the urge to have it that often either. A rare win for me among the big Southern Tier beers, but all of them are at least decent and this is something i'd be happy to visit again.

03-25-2010 01:18:22 | More by udubdawg
bigfnjoe

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A- black with a thin cappuccino colored head. Awesome lacing

S- holy wow, its chocolate. Smells like a bottle of chocolate syrup...absolutely amazing.

T- chocolate malt, and the bitterness sneaks in as its going down your throat. Its like drinking a carbonated, alcoholic chocolate milk

M- nice and thick, like a good imperial should be. The texture is almost syrupy...not that thats a bad thing.

D- its a little rich. Regardless, its quite tasty. This is a damn good beer, and I'll definitely be getting more of it in the future

03-22-2010 22:50:30 | More by bigfnjoe
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Presentation: Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass in parts. Label says this is brewed with Belgian bitterweet chocolate.

Appearance: Opaque black with some dark ruby brown edges. Pours a one finger beige head with very little retention. Receds quickly into a thin lacing around the edge.

Aroma: Rich cocoa bean notes hit first, but they are not bitter. There actually is lingering sweetness throughout the aroma. Some underlying caramel notes also make their way through. Overall impression of the aroma is just a powerful chocolate profile with sweet undertones.

Taste: Dark chocolate and cocoa bean notes dominate the palate upfront. Chocolate bitterness soon moves on the palate and is complimented by some bitter hop notes. Slighty bitter, but surprisingly clean finish. Very well balanced between sweetness and bitterness. The ABV also does not stand out or detract from the beer.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied feel overall. Smooth and creamy with a nice bite from carbonation on the back end.

Drinkability: With the ABV not standing out, and the flavors being well balanced, I find this incredicly drinkable for a stout of this strength. Still definitely a sipper.

Overall, a really impressive and flavorful chocolate stout. Definitely the best chocolate stout I have had and one of Southern Tier's best. Just incredibly rich and complex well maintaining nice balance. A nice desert beer as well.

03-22-2010 02:10:32 | More by Gosox8787
mostpoetsdo

Rhode Island

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

A: An incredibly dark brown, pretty much opaque black. A frothy tan head tops this bad boy, with great lacing.

S: Really incredible mix of chocolate and sweet malt, with a little booze in there too, phenomenal, if you are a chocolate lover.

T: Probably one of the tastiest beers I have ever had. Enormous chocolate flavor. Very much like a chocolate malt shake. There is a little boozy kick at the end, but then just covered up with more sweet chocolate.

M: Incredibly smooth and frothy texture, alcohol masked incredibly well.

D: Can't believe this is 11% ABV. Should sip on it, but so good you won't be able to.

03-21-2010 22:38:40 | More by mostpoetsdo