Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a Hopus glass pours a deep almost opaque black that shows some ruby highlights when held to light. The beer is topped by a thin light tan head that diminishes to a ring and leaves only slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is a nice amount of bitter cocoa alongside roasted malts. The taste is nice amount smooth bitter baker's cocoa in front of roasted malts that gives way to a smooth dark chocolate finish. The beer is only slightly on the heavy side, with a nice subtle amount of carbonation that makes it surprisingly easy drinking. This is a very enjoyable Imperial Stout, one I would certainly love to have again.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

As I opened the bottle I got a strong whiff of milk chocolate, it was at that point I knew this was going to be awesome!

Poured into a Leffe glass, a very dark almost opaque brown with a thin tan head, leaves a little lacing on the glass.

The smell is wonderful: milk chocolate with a hint of caramel and there is definitely some hops in the background.

Very rich and tasty, like chocolate brownies at first, followed by smooth milk and dark chocolate which finishes bitter. The hops are definitely present, very well balanced. For sure the chocolatiest beer I've ever tasted.

Thick, velvety mouthfeel, pretty drinkable, but filling and a tad too sweet for me. The alcohol is well hidden, it creeps up on you!

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured a very dark brown with maroonish highlights that had a thin head and left very little lacing sticking to the glass. In the nose you could definitely notice the big chocolate aroma with slight roastiness, some oat notes, slight lacto, and a touch of underlying mild coffe presence. The flavor was also big on the chocolate which was dominating but still left room for some of the other characteristics to come through like oats, some lite toastiness, and a hint of coffee flavor, slight vanilla, and caramel accents. The brew was full in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a sweet, slight milky, toasty, silky finish. It drank very good considerin the ABV which was well hidden and was a very solid chocolate beer IMO. Any seeking out a chocolate flavor beer should definitely seek this chocolate bomb out. This one is probably the best or if not one of the best chocolate style brews there are on the market. Very glad to have tried this beer a few times now.

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber poured into a tulip. Cellared for 9 months after purchase. From Notes.
Drank in honor of my 15 year old cat, Mulder, who passed away that day.

A-- Reddish black, settled black with small tints of red. Reverse cascading head that got to one finger but quickly became film. Chocolate milk color. No visible carbonation and no retention to head.

S-- Vanilla, Carmel, Dark sweet chocolate. Reminded me more of sweet and creamy chocolate milk. No noticeable alcohol to this.

T-- Touches of vanilla but mostly sweet chocolate milk. Very velvety to me.

M-- Rich and thick but sweet. Higher carbonation and feel than what I expected. More like medium carbonation and feel to this. Vanilla and Carmel balances out the big chocolate to this. Makes it a lot lighter than what it seemed. Great balance with the flavors.

D-- Gets bigger as I drank on. Last quarter I felt the ABV but otherwise this was very well hidden. Really liked that this was more of a chocolate milk with vanilla and carmel and the sweetness is well hidden in this. A sipper but a well made sipper. Very solid beer.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into 8oz glass.

A - Poured non-transparent jet black color with small head that dissipated quickly leaving average lacing around the glass.

S - Very strong and sweet smell of chocolate with hints of coffee.

T - Just like smell it is very chocolate upfront, creamy and smooth with a slightly bitter coffee finish.

M - Full bodied with average carbonation.

D - Definitely a sipper and with high abv very well masked by sweetness you have to be careful not to overdo it. Would highly recommend this stout if you like liquid chocolate in the glass.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Dark brown/black colour with 1/2 a finger of light brown head.

S - Dark roasted malts and bittersweet chocolate. A very robust nose. The chocolate really dominates this nose and it is somewhat synthetic smelling (more like chocolate syrup than real chocolate).

T - Chocolate dominates the palate with some light roasted malt flavour complimenting. The chocolate is sweet and very slightly bitter. Would love to see how this one one ages. Somewhat one dimensional (chocolate completely dominates) but still very good.

M - Full body, thick and chewy. Lightly carbonated.

D - Remarkably drinkable for a 9.5% ABV beer that has so much sweetness.

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Draft at Capone's. Deep brown to ebony with a soft, foamy caramel head. Big nose of melted chocolate, and a nutty roastiness. Flavor was a lot of rich chocolate, much more than I've ever gotten in an imperial stout. Pretty impressive in that regard. Despite these merits, I felt sick and sluggish toward the end of my 9oz. snifter of this. That, to me, is the eternal downfall of most imperial stouts: I just don't have it in me to finish the blessed thing. There should be a ratings criteria for "drinkability" or "does it make you feel sick" or something to that effect. I suppose those points should be deducted from the overall score if the beer TASTES good but makes you feel sick due to how heavy it is, but I'm just saying.

***EDIT this was an old RateBeer rate where there isn't a category for "drinkability", but I'm leaving the rant in for asthetic reasons.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

22 oz. bomber poured into a snifter

A- Dark brown almost black with a one finger tan head.

S- Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Just overwhelmed with rich, milky, creamy, bittersweet chocolate. It is just a great, room filling, chocolate smell.

T- Roasted coffee comes out in the taste and works well with the chocolate. 11% ABV come out a little in the taste and it could be more complex, but if you are looking for chocolate flavors this really hits the spot.

M- Nice medium to heavy body, creamy, and a little sticky.

D- Just an awesome beer from Southern Tier. This was recommended to me by my cousin about a year ago and it just opened the door to Imperial Stouts for me. The first time I had it I drank the bomber in about 45 minutes. Goes down almost too easily for 11% ABV. This is what I default to when I want a chocolate beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a snifter: Black body under a thin mocha head that dissipates to just a thick collar & a wisp across the surface. Just the tiniest bit of ruby highlight here & there.

Damn. The freshest chocolate smell I think I've ever gotten in a beer. Like, it's just right, it curls up in your nose & has that sweet, milky twang in the end. They got this dead on. So, so good.

Yee-haw! Taste starts off with a moderate alcohol, pretty smooth, then moves into that great cocoa taste, a little more of a bitter & roasty character, then smooths out even more, gains a little caramel, & turns out almost like pudding. The alcohol is there the whole time, providing a warming but not a caustic presence. Aftertaste is mildly roasty & dark, & surprisingly doesn't last a long time or hurt the palate. Again, so, so good.

Full-bodied, velvety, with enough alcohol to warm & tingle without being hot or caustic. Kind of rolls on into the mouth.

This is awesome. Southern Tier knocks another one out of the park with a great dessert. Big, warm, delicious, this is a bear hug of a beer. Full enough that one will satisfy, but two or even three over the course of a snowed-in evening would be heaven.

Thanks Rob for sharing!

Appearance: Dark brown/black like burned up gear lube. You have to get aggressive with the pour, this elicits an angry dark mocha brown head.

Smell: I poured this outdoors and nonetheless could smell chocolate goodness from a distance of five feet. Over the glass the chocolate was dense, sweet, rich, outstanding and very inviting.

Taste: Dense, coating layers of dark and semi-dark chocolates with a warming alcohol presence with every sip. There is a very subtle sweetness of milk chocolate trying to surface, but this is predominantly a 70% cocoa bar Choklat, not at all as sweet as the nose would have you believe and definitely not like Hersey's chocolate syrup.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that is creamy and coating.

Drinkability: This is a delicious and very drinkable...sipping...beer but for the fact it's 11% ABV and more than one bomber would be lights out.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

650ml bottle poured into tulip oct24 2010

A near jet black with a two finger light brown head that falls fairly quick and leaves no lace

S smells like Nesquik liquid syrup, this reminds me of my childhood turning white milk too chocolate milk. booze is well hidden but I don't pick up on much other then chocolate

T some faint coffee and caramels add to the massive chocolate blast, I like the flavor not overly complex but hey I do love chocolate and this is exactly that

M fairly creamy and a little sticky, well a lot sticky my mustache hairs are stuck together. no evidence of the booze except me being lightheaded and you can taste this one for a while even without licking my mustache

D quite an easy drinking beer and for the strength it could be a little dangerous. this one's working quite well with the chilly day outside

thanks alpineclimber for this one, I'd like another but would probably be walking sideways. I would like to see how one ages seeing how mellow it is today, try this one if you get the chance

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours an inky black with a creamy mocha coloured head that quickly receded to a thin ring.

Aroma is... well, chocolate, and lots of it. Reminds me alot of Hershey's chocolate syrup with a touch of alcohol.

Not surprising, the taste is also predominantly chocolate and not much else. The roasted malts come out more as it warms a bit. Very sweet with a lingering warming finish.

Full bodied and creamy mouthfeel.

As others have mentioned, if you're not a chocolate person, you probably won't enjoy this too much. Even if you are a chocolate fiend, you'll likely want to share one of these with a few friends, it's way too sweet and rich to finish on your own.

This definitely follows through on being chocolate in a glass; I'm glad I gave this a try, even though it's definitely not something I'd seek out too often.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

650 ml 9.5%

Released in the fall seasonals at the LCBO.

Pours a dark thick black with a fizzy tan foam head, foamy lacing forms.
The nose is very much dark chocolate, also sweet roasted malt, coffee, cocoa.
On the sip we have a smooth drinking, chocolatey stout. Theres almost no trace of alcohol in here. Drinks like a dark chocolate milkshake! Easy to down, but the overpowering of cocoa may be much after the entire bottle. Great mouthfeel, medium bodied and plenty carbonated.
Overall, this seems like a one-off beer, if your'e looking for a chocolate beer; here it is. A great after hours late nite beer or shared as a dessert.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

22oz. bomber poured into a snifter. Pours an impenetrable black with a tan head that dissipates quickly, no lacing to speak of. The smell is chocolate of course, also alcohol, caramel and vanilla. The flavour is chocolate, booze and some coffee. The carbonation is light and lively. The mouthfeel is thin considering how much sugar is in this. I'd say the drinkability of this is not too high, it is quite sweet and hot.

Again, I much prefer the Black Oak approach of cocoa/bitter chocolate to the sweet Hershey's milk chocolate thing going on here. This is the third "big beer" (Creme Brulee, Unearthly) I've had from Southern Tier and I haven't liked any of them much, I think I will stick with their IPA/2XIPA from here on which are great beers in my opinion.

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

A: poured into a goblet, leaving little head. black lacquer liquid leaves little lacing.

S: Literally smells like chocolate syrup. No exaggeration! Over the top? sure - but I like it

T: very sweet, chocolate of course. Vanilla notes and not really much else. A one trick pony here. But if you want chocolate beer, this is it.

M: quite thick and chewy. carbonation is smooth and ample.

D: Due to the massive sweetness and simple nature of this beer, its not one to drink in quantity. I'd recommend you share this 22oz bottle with a friend.

A great dessert beer.

Before we start this review, you must like Hershey's syrup. Plain and simple. If you do you will absolutely love this beer. If you don't, a sample is probably all you can handle.

Smell - chocolate
Appearance - just like an imperial stout should look
Taste - we've discussed this already - Hershey's chocolate
Mouthfeel - warm, dry, slightly bitter

I'm not going to sit around and drink this by the gallon. It's very rich. But damn it's good, I wish I could.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

One of a kind is the thought that comes to mind when I think of this beer. Its in a similar vein to their Creme Brule in that it's taking beer to a new and exotic place.

It pours a jet black with a large cocoa head. The head, rather unfortunately dissipates to nothing - at all. No lacing, no head, no ring.. nothing.

The smell is fairly light considering how strong the taste is. Some light chocolate and biscuity malt is all I noticed.

The taste is huge however. Deep layers of chocolate just roll over the tongue on every sip. Its complicated and its really good. There's layers of richness, taste and body here that just doesn't get old. Sweet, milk chocoatey and bitter all at the same time. Wow.

Mouthfeel is good .. smooth and rich with a light carbonation bite. Drinkability suffers however. There can be too much of a good thing and this beer, similar to the Creme Brule, suffers from an overdose effect. It's just too strong and too much drink the bottle let alone another in a sitting.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Considerably black like a 90% cocoa chocolate bar. Good head that wore down after 10 minutes or so, and became a film/head. Good carbo.

S- All kinds of chocolate. Reminded me first of the Lindor chocolate that I see around at Xmas, and then the shitty easter bunnies that I would get as a kid. However it also had notes of the dark chocolate 85% cocoa or so, which I'll get at a good price. With more intensity I'd give it a 5.

T- Chocolate and some more chocolate. Slightly darker and more bitter than most well known chocolate bars, and far richer as well. My mouth is coated with chocolate, and I've just barely began drinking it. I would put this at around a 60% chocolate bar. It's very rich, but has some milky sweetness as well. I think the name pretty much sums it up.

M- Medium heavy body with a pretty creamy feel to it. Carbonation is good as well. Very slight hints of the ABV. Makes me wonder how well cellaring this would likely go.

D- Extremely drinkable. I almost feel like the 650 is too much though. In a small bottle this would be more managable. I think in the future if I pick this up, I'd share it. Goes down so easy though that I guess sharing would just make this beer go in no time. Something to think about for me. This hit me pretty hard when I reviewed it. I was feeling this one before I realized I was effected.

After having this, I don't feel too ripped off for spending $10 on it. I will probably pick up more. Only thing that bugged me about this beer was the price.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

Name pretty much says it all with all sorts of different takes on chocolate coming through in the nose and the flavor, from tootsie roll to milk chocolate to baker's chocolate. Pretty impressive taste for a beer that would at first glance seem to be one sided. Decent amount of bitterness keeps it from going over the sweetness edge, but still not a beer I would have more than once every so often because it is very sweet and desserty. Still a very fun treat though. Finishes with quite the alcohol kick.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle to a snifter.

A: Pours dark, with dark brown on the edges of the glass. Bubbly and small head, seems thin for a 11% stout but the color is good.

S: Tons of sweet chocolate aromas, alcohol burn, definite barley, bitters of hops, and just an overall sweetness. Smells really great, exactly how you'd expect a chocolate stout to smell.

T: It follow the smell a little, but not all the way, not as complex as I'd hoped but still nice: Milk and Dark Chocolates, lactose sugar, roasted malt, and a bitter finish. Bakers chocolate and barley notes. I can't shake the sensation that it tastes like the milk after eating a cereal like cocoa puffs or cocoa pubbles...Alcohol hidden well in this.

M: Creamy and smooth, partially covers the palate, very elegant feel without much alcohol burn which is surprisingly nice.

D: Can drink this faster than most beers at this ABV, and this is certainly appealing.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pretty much as dark as a beer can and quite viscous out of the bottle. Hardly any head and it fades quickly. Not much lacing either.

S - Hershey bar, molasses, roasted malt, and a little alcohol. Solid.

T - Very much chocolate from start to finish but it transitions well throughout the beer. Starts off as a sweet solo flavor on the palate but mixes with the malt backbone in the middle and gets a creamy texture and fuller body. It finishes with a bit of bitterness from the hops and bitter chocolate used in this brew.

M/D - Just a hair less carbonation than I had expected but the density is right on. Finishes very much sweet with just the slightest bit of bittering. Creamy on the palate and hides the alcohol all too well. Super easy to drink and waaay to easy to go through 2 bottles by oneself!

One of Southern Tier's best, if not numero uno

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Very dark brown in colour and not very clear at all, but has a certain glisten. Poured with very little head that did not last very long.

S- Very nice heavy roasted malts, very reminiscent of dark coffee. Some small hints of vanilla and some molasses are detectable, but the most prominent smell is of the dark chocolate. The chocolate is very sweet and savoury smelling, very delicious.

T- Flavour starts off with a light coffee taste, which blends into a very wonderful velvety chocolate taste. The chocolate is very similar to a Lyndt 80-90% Chocolate bar, sweet yet bitter and tart. After the chocolate the warmth of the alcohol comes through. The flavour is finished off with a strong espresso accented by some vanilla and brown sugar flavours.

D- Wonderful beer. Did not expect so much chocolate flavour in the beer and the smell of the beer is one of the best aroma's of a beer I have ever encountered.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Very dark - black as night - tan head, leaves a nice skim behind.

S: Wow - best chocolate smell by far of any RIS claiming to have chocolate in the beer. It's fabulous. Also some smoke, malt, and a bit of booze

T: Wow - this baby is hot - chocolate comes through well, malt, some smoke in the back. The hotness is a bit distracting though so it can't get higher than a 4 here.

M: Good - not amazing but good. Needs to be a bit thicker but it's good.

D: Could keep sipping this all night. With that said 11% will knock me out quick.

4.01/5  rDev -5.9%

This showed up at the local LCBO and I had to try it. Southern Tier make some good stuff but they also sometimes misfire and taste weird (like with the Creme Brulee...) Does this one?

It pours pretty much opaque black with a toasty brown head that dissipates quickly. Not too stunning, but not anemic either.

The smell is HUGE. I mean, jumping out of the glass kind of big. The bittersweetness of cocoa powder, and also the smoother smell of milk chocolate, with raisins, toasted marshmallow, heady alcohol, smooth vanilla caramel and dark malt. Wham. Mmm. Ohhh yeah.

The taste is just as rich. You feel like you're at the dessert table with nutty roasted malt and that delicious cocoa, with some more milky chocolate flavours as well, and a bit of spiciness and fruitiness coming from the alcohol and hops. I found that it had a bit of that cloying character from the Creme Brulee, almost like chocolate syrup, which wasn't great.

The mouthfeel is reasonably heavy in body, creamy smooth and somewhat syrupy, but not motor-oil thick or sticky. It feels like dessert. It's actually surprisingly well-built: full of flavour but with enough balanced tart "zing" to keep it from being overwhelming. Hence, the drinkability is quite good for the style... I don't often think of cracking a second bottle of a big Imperial Stout, but it crossed my mind with this one. I may have been glad I didn't, though, because there's a serious and late-arriving alcohol whack to this beer.

This is a pretty good stout that really delivers on its promise of indulgent chocolate. There is, however, something that puts me just a little bit off about it in the taste.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle shared with mrmanning. Part of the LCBO 2010 Autumn Ales release.

Pours pitch black with a mocha tan head and a couple dots of lacing on the tulip. The foam subsides about half way through drinking.

Smell is ridiculously complex. I get milk chocolate, baking sugar, caramel, cream, cocoa powder, slight floral note, dark chocolate, touch of alcohol, and black currants.

Not surprisingly the taste follows the nose with a bittersweet mixture of dark and milk chocolate, Chipits, chocolate syrup, roasted malts, and a prickly hop spiciness with some alcoholic warmth in the throat.

Mouthfeel is lush, milky, at times slick, bitter, and syrupy. This beer just glides across the palate. Despite the smallest trace of heat in the flavour, Choklat drinks well below its weight.

Most chocolate beers benefit from good ratings because they use an ingredient that virtually all of us enjoy. However, Southern Tier deserves credit for loading this with layers of chocolate flavours while still making it drinkable and not overpowering. Underneath the cocoa blast is a solid imperial stout that could shine on its own. Overall, this is a pure delight to savour on a cold fall evening.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company