Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
nlmartin

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

The beer was lightly chilled and allowed to warm to room temperature during consumption. The beer was served in an Imperial Nonic.

Appearance: The beer pours with a black body. A small amount of ruby opaqueness to light. The head lasted pretty good for an % beer. The head was a fluffy light tan coloration.

Smell: The beer has the aroma of what else chocolate. The chocolate is layered in aroma. A bit of sweet malted milk chocolate. Combines well with more bitter tones of chocolate. Dark roasted malt rides along the currents of smell.

Taste: This is truly where this beer shines so to speak. The beer is layered bourbon balls, chocolate milk balls, hot fudge, fudge brownies, dark bitter sweet chocolate, milk chocolate. This beer would go to nearingly death by chocolate except for char roasted flavors and a bit of booze. Fantastic!...

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is full bodied. The carbonation is low. The beer is very smooth. The alcohol is a little warming but never in a bad way. This beer is round and thick. Choklat has back. Just the sort of big malty treat I was looking for on this cold winters night.

12-07-2008 05:18:17 | More by nlmartin
cvstrickland

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

It seems anytime the discussion on the Forum drifts into talk of "the world's chocolatiest beer", the first poster to type "Southern Tier Choklat" almost always adds the hopeful phrase, "...end of discussion". Of course, the discourse continues unabated, the ensuing posts on the subject mostly consisting of agreement about the fantastic fudginess that is Choklat-- and whether or not the posters love it or hate it. At any rate, I've finally got my own bottle at cellar temperature and I'm about to investigate the chocohype for myself...

A 22-ounce bomber bottle poured into my Duck-Rabbit snifter yields an ebony body with a twinkle of garnet at the periphery, capped with a finger's thickness of sticky khaki foam. The topping of fine bubbles recedes in short order to a pearly ring that leaves slim legs on the glass and quite a few freckles of lacing scattered about.

The smell is the first indicator that there is a chocolate bomb lurking in my snifter. Rich, dark, with a bit of winey fruit, the cocoa-confection aroma reminds me of the inside of a chocolatier's shop I visited in Brussels many years ago, where a lady was hand-dipping nougats and candied orange wedges in molten dark chocolate and laying them onto waxed paper in neat little rows. From the elixir in my glass wafts that remembered essence of fruity, sugary candies enrobed in Godiva's finest-- liquified and transported through space-time, beamed across the Atlantic and dumped into my glass. Lucky me!

The taste is chocolate-laden, of course, but where to begin at the descriptors? It's a chocolate jailbreak, with a shapeshifting torrent of semisweet morsels, fudge brownies, Bitter baker's chocolate, fruity squashy nibs... Hey! There's the beer! A nice malty... wait where'd it go? Oh, well... chocolate milkshake... Here's an almond Hershey bar, liquefied, Mister! Melt in yo' mouth! Bittersweet Special Dark miniatures... Would you care for a chocolate Dove ice cream bar, sir? Wait, there's something NOT chocolatey...WTF? Vanilla?! Punk! Get your sorry ass outta here! I always think cocoa nibs taste like winter squash... but I could dust it with some Dutch-process and powdered hot-cocoa mix for you... DAY-UMN! Overload...overload...

The whole chocolate family is here, vying desperately for attention, but at the root of the drink is a big bold beer that holds it all together. Underneath the wonderful chocolatiness of it all is a hefty, rich malty backbone that supports the flavor profile of tons of chocolate and a fair amount of hoppy fruitiness with just the right amount of bitterness and dark cereal to keep it all sane.

The drink is medium-bodied and silky-smooth, the gigantic ABV virtually invisible to me. Choklat is a sipper and a wonderful treat on a chilly day, but it isn't just a gimmicky chocolate beer, it is a truly superb stout, too... end of discussion?
Many thanks to Dr. Brad for the bottle!

12-06-2008 15:51:02 | More by cvstrickland
Buebie

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into a snifter. Color is black with no transparency. 2 finger mocja colored head leaving nice bubbly retention. Lace is thin and spotty, with a lubricated texture that is bound to slife back into the beer.

Aroma is very much chocolate. Smells of chocolate nibs with a coocoa, mocha nuttieness. Liquid chocolate extract aroma, sweet chocolate roasted grain aroma with bits of cereal. Just a touch of oats. Butterscotch carmelly aroma too with bits of creamy irish coffee wafts coming through.

The flavor up front is sweet chocolate, moderate carbonation with a slick feeling mouthfeel. Not as thick and creamy as hoped.
Buttery toffee, and a good dose of dark bitter coffee flavors.
A touch of alcahol warming at the swallow, but mellow for its 11% abv.
Finsih is sweet and somwhat bitter as the roasted chocolate grains finish things up. Crisp and clean as the grassy hops linger with the bitter chocolate grains.
Basically sweet and chocolatey, then extremely earthy and bitter, but then turning sweet and chocolaty again with a woodsy nutmeg like flavor.

Very nice, but at $8.99 its too expensive to buy another. Mouthfeel could use some serious improvements.

12-05-2008 22:49:58 | More by Buebie
ThirstyBird

Germany

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Tasted on tap at Track 84

A - Rich dark brownish black. Cappuccino colored head that leaves a thick wall of lace.
S - Sweet chocolate off the hook! A little vanilla and the alcohol is evident.
T - Taste follows smell. It is a bit cloying.
M/F - Thick, smooth and creamy.
D - A great desert beer. I feel a 6oz portion would be delightful - more than that a struggle.

12-05-2008 21:32:07 | More by ThirstyBird
TurdFurgison

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

I bought this bottle for $8.99 at Palmers in Columbus and finished it with my wife. This is the most chocolaty beer I've tried, it really smelled like a chocolate bar. Much more than Rogue, this smelled like melted chocolate. The taste was chocolate too, which should be expected based on the name, but I'd have preferred more malt flavor to complement it. It's dificult to detect the 11% ABV, so the chocolate must hide it.The body is fine, thick and chewy, everything about it is good if you mainly want chocolate flavors. I prefer Southern Tier for their IPAs, as these flavored beers (Chocolate, Creme Brulee, Pumking) really go for the non-beer flavors in a big way.

12-05-2008 11:04:32 | More by TurdFurgison
rhinos00

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Fresh, 2008 ST Choklat poured from a 22oz. bomber into a snifter.

A- Black and dull. Very little head, if any.

S- Pure chocolate! Reminds me of the days when I used to drink chocolate milk for lunch everyday. Oh how simple life used to be... Not much else to note here.

T- Upon first taste, I thought I was in heaven. As I kept drinking, the back end of my palate was bombarded with bitter chocolate and would not go away...completely ruined the experience. Just way too strong to enjoy. I did notice that if I took a five minute break before each sip that the chocolate bitterness played no factor. Only problem, who wants to drink one beer for 5 hours?

M- Just simply too much and unrefined! I wish this beer had more of a smooth, refined finish as some of my favorite milk stouts have. Just felt incomplete.

D- Oh boy, drinking a 22oz. of this became a huge problem. Too much bitterness takes away from the drinkability. Better shared with friends.

Overall, HUGE disappointment. However, I am very encouraged by what I have read in that this beer ages well...and it makes sense. I think that chocolate bitterness will subside overtime allowing this beer to take on a well balanced flavor. I will definitely be reviewing this one in another year or so. This beer has huge potential with time.

12-05-2008 05:07:37 | More by rhinos00
Stonebreaker

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Delicious, decent head, though it was fast retreating.

Smell: Cocoa all the way, with the faintest whiff of alcohol.

Taste and Mouthfeel: I'd been waiting for this beer for a long time and it lived up to the hype as the 'chocolateyist' beer ever. It was delicious, a chocolate beer through and through, and the 11 percent alcohol was only evident in the effect not the taste. My only complaint was a lack of depth, perhaps some nutty flavors or a touch of coffee or roasted barley. But just the element of surprise is now a very difficult feat for me and this one did it, worthy of the title of extreme beer.

Drinkability: Awesome, though it is borderline cloying, and high in alcohol and would be in need of a good pairing, anything that goes with chocolate would do quite nicely.

12-05-2008 01:13:56 | More by Stonebreaker
Morbo

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours the darkest shade of brown with cola-like highlights at the edges. A nice creamy one inch head quickly reduces to a thin film and leaves behind little lacing.

Smells like tootsie rolls with some coffee and alcohol in the background.

Loads of sweet milk chocolate slowly give way to roasty bitterness. Rather one-sided, but that is what I was expecting, a chocolate bomb. The 11% alcohol starts to poke through as it warms, which is a welcome reminder that yes, you are in fact drinking a beer.

The mouthfeel is big and velvety with very little carbonation, like drinking chocolate made with half & half.

Southern Tier sure makes a great dessert stout. This is a wonderful beer that is best enjoyed as a special treat and shared with a good friend. I had a hard time finishing it by myself but intend to grab a couple more to cellar for special occasions.

12-04-2008 22:18:04 | More by Morbo
Experimentacious

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

A- Blackest of black with a light tan/cream coloured head which dissipates rather quickly to my surprise. Not much lacing left in my tall glass. Zero light penetration. Thickness is obvious and exciting.

S- I'm actually confused here. This is a matter of preference. I love the superbly aromatic warm chocolate aroma with slight alcohol notes and maybe a little bit of coffee, burnt malts as well. I'm confused only because I could see how some drinkers would be offput by the truly impressive, (to say the least) aromas. The room smells like melting hershey's kisses. This may be the most aromatic choco-beverage since the late Dunkachinno.

T- Sweet big chocolate at first, almost like the brew tanks mated with the vats at the Hershey's plant. It would be too much for me until a pleasant bitterness cuts right through. Doesn't completely damp down the cocoa but you taste bitterness comparable to a Bigfoot or an Old Ruffian, but the sweetness and bitterness dance with each other until a warming of alcohol and velvety/viscous/chewy/whatever the word is-goodness, in the finish. Interesting. This flavor has more depth than the holes in our economy.

M- I'll keep this simple. Although thick and velvety with little carbonation, this is the only beer with this much chocolate that I can say I really do enjoy. I've had less-chocolatey beers in the past that were way too chocolatey...get it?

D- There aren't many people I know who could finish an entire 22oz as I plan to do this evening.

However, as strong and thick and sweet as it is, for these same reasons I truly believe this would make a great conversion beer for fans of Guiness. Share 6oz of this with your friend who is willing to be adventerous, and perhaps in a year or two he'll be sending you text messages about an obscure new dry Irish you haven't found yet on your local shelf.

Southern Tier and Dogfish Head should have a celebrity death match.

12-04-2008 02:15:28 | More by Experimentacious
ATPete

2.93/5  rDev -31.1%

22oz bottle

Pours an inky black color with a small brown head. Nose of pure chocolate Tootsie Roll pops, not much else either. Its very impressive how aromatic ST got the chocolate character to be. Thick, dark bitter chocolate invades the tongue, initially this beer is very nice, creamy and semisweet, however, mid to late palate a huge bitter wave packing lots of alcohol heat totally catches you by surprise. Ive never seen a better bitter beer face on a few of my friends. The aftertaste of burnt chocolate malt lingers for quite a while. Full bodied, slightly coating, id had enough after my 4oz. serving.

12-04-2008 01:37:44 | More by ATPete
PatronWizard

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Finally. Been holding this one for awhile. Don't know what vintage it is. I'm gonna drink one with silver screen printing but I have one with silver, gold, and white screen printing (thanks to Kadonny). Anyway, time to drink.

Pours black with cola highlights. Like your mom's hair. Soft tan head kicks it for a minute.

Ridiculously rich chocolate aroma. Smells like M&Ms. I bet if you did a blind sniff test, you wouldn't know the difference between Choklat and M&Ms.

Taste is WOW! This tastes good. HUGE bite o'chocolate. The dark and the milk chocolate in an eternal struggle for control of the palate, no quarter asked, none given. Way, way, way at the back, the alcohol tries to remind me that this is not a little girl's beer.

The flavor is rather one-dimensional (all chocolate - just differing shades), but I forgive it because it is one damn fine tasting beer. Besides, I didn't pick up a bottle of Coconut Rum, Banana Clove Beer, or Pepperoni Pizza Beer. I picked up a bottle of Choklat. Expect something else and you are a moron.

The label does not lie, as some do, and I respect that. This is like a melted hershey bar with just the right amount of alcohol. And by just the right amount I mean 11% bitches!!!! Time to move on. I hope I made my point: Choklat tastes like chocolate (and very friggin good at that).

The feel is, of course, wonderful. I have gained tremendous respect lately for Southern Tier. Great beers!! Now I wouldn't drink this every day (because I don't have access) but it is an absolute treat. A very generous 11% makes this beer near perfect. I understand some people like 5%, but those people need to understand that some of us, namely me, like 11%!!!

So in judging this beer I'm supposed to imagine the brewers intentions. Well, this dude named his beer Choklat and printed "a stout brewed with chocolate" right on the bottle. We should all pray that every brewer comes this close to their intentions. This beer is a masterpiece.

Let's just say you're having a shitty day. Then you drink one of these. Shitty day all gone bye-bye.

Overall: this one has it all, near perfection

12-02-2008 03:56:16 | More by PatronWizard
dukedevil0

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up this bomber from Binny's Lakeview in Chicago, IL.

A: Pours dark black with a thin tan head that reduces to just a rim around the glass. Little lacing.

S: WOW CHOCOLATE. Smells like I'm sniffing someone making a cake or something. Smells of dark chocolate, roast and alcohol.

T: Just like the smell, which makes this delicious. Tons of chocolate...milk chocolate, but it has a bitter dark chocolate/roasty finish. Picked up a slight hazelnut chocolate in there at first. Alcohol gets easier to pick up the warmer it gets.

M: Super creamy, which is surprising because I thought it looked thin when poured. Less than average carbonation.

D: Drinkablility is pretty high because the alcohol is hard to pick up, but the thick chocolate flavor would keep me from taking too much of this in. A huge chocolate lover would probably never put this down.

I think this may be the chocolate beer I've been looking for in my searching. Simply amazing beer.

12-02-2008 03:41:33 | More by dukedevil0
taylorhamrick

South Carolina

3.58/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours out dark, with some red and amber hues around the edges. Has a big fluffy brown head with some lacing and a bit of bubbles last throughout. The smell is pure chocolate and alcohol, it's nice and sweet, but you wouldn't guess that it was beer just by the smell alone. The taste matches the smell perfectly, like creamy chocolate mixed with alcohol, pleasant and enjoyable, but personally, I would like to have a bit more of the bitter roasted or more complex tastes in an imperial stout. The mouthfeel is perfectly smooth and creamy, not harsh at all. And it drinks very easily, for the style at least. I found this very pleasant, not an everyday imperial stout (I think I could drink some type of impy every day) but one that's worth purchasing and probably worth revisiting.

Edit: If this beer had a distinct style, for something like flavored stouts like chocolate etc. then it would have much higher marks.

12-01-2008 23:45:04 | More by taylorhamrick
rtepiak

Poland

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

opaque. nice head. creamy dark chocolate. some lace. head dissipates as expected. smell is quicks chocolate powder... not much else. not really chocolate as much as carob... some malt in there somewhere. taste is that too... smooth but not clean. tastes too chocolate without a milkiness for a stout. not bitter chocolate either. nice density but not a balanced palette. must say that it hides the alcohol fantastically. but it may be my preoccupation with that incomplete cocoa in the malt. nice density but that's all the stout has going for it. shit taste really fake in the end. don't think you can drink this as anything but a nightcap.

11-29-2008 11:20:11 | More by rtepiak
srandycarter

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Black stuff. Small head leads to ring. Small bubbled thin lacing.

S - In grade school, I would buy chocolate milk at lunch. EXACT same smell. Awesome and comforting.

T - Taste follows smell, along with malt backbone and some bittering at finish.

M - Great coating, good carb, good balance.

D - May I have another?

11-28-2008 03:29:54 | More by srandycarter
Beerisheaven

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

My last bottle from the 2007 release which has remained nestled away in my cellar for safe keeping.

A - Dark chocolate brown with a mocha tan head that formed after pouring into a snifter glass.

S - It's all about the Chocolate and is consistent with most of the Southern Tier offerings that make you forget you are actually looking at and drinking a beer. Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.

T - Follows the nose and again you have to remind yourself that you are drinking a beer and not simply drinking a glass of Hershey's chocolate syrup. I had an interesting debate with a friend when drinking this. He said that he would have been more impressed if the chocolate came through on the lines of Brooklyn which produces the flavor without adding actual chocolate to the beer. My friend said that he was less than impressed with a beer that simply dumps copious amounts of chocolate into it during the brewing process. I somewhat understand what he is saying here, but still, you can't get past the absoulte joy you have in drinking this beer.

M - Good, proper amount of carbonation makes this an enjoyable mouthfeel.

D - Again, if you like chocolate, you will love it. I am not sure that you can drink much more beyond splitting this with someone.

A really good beer and still my favorite of the chocolate infused beers. I will buy this again soon and look forward to drinking it again this year.

11-26-2008 20:56:05 | More by Beerisheaven
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from the bottle a deep dark black with one finger of mocha head.

Aroma of chocolate milk, red berries, and vanilla.

The taste is chocolate milk, vanilla, and roasted malts. The alcohol and a hoppy bitterness peek through just slightly.

Mouthfeel is thinner than expected, but smooth. Carbonation is light.

A damn nice Impy stout from Southern Tier. The only weakness IMO is the thin mouthfeel.

11-24-2008 02:32:16 | More by Monkeyknife
corby112

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

On draft at the South Philadelphia Taproom.

Pours a dark cocoa color with light brown-colored foam head. Aroma ofcourse is dominated by sweet chocolate and candi sugar. This beer kind of smells like a tootsie roll. Very well balanced, being sweet and very malty at the same time. Lots of choclate and roasted maltiness but not very bitter.

11-20-2008 23:07:59 | More by corby112
egajdzis

Poured an opaque black color with a medium sized, tan head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of milk chocolate (tootsie roll), roasted malts, tobacco, floral amarillo hops, and a bit of caramel. Taste was all milk chocolate as well, faint tobacco, some smoke, and finishing with some more hops, and a touch of alcohol. I'd recommend this with a bowl of assorted chocolate truffles.

11-09-2008 23:59:40 | More by egajdzis
rye726

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a dark brown with faint shades of ruby when held to light and has a thin tan head. Fantastic nose has lots of dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, ripe fruits and rich malts. Like fudge brownies in a glass. The taste was not quite as impressive, but still good. Bitter-sweet chcolate, roasty malts, molasses, licorice, anise and subtle hops. The body was a thick and chewy, well carbonated.

11-03-2008 06:12:41 | More by rye726
ABHatter

Rhode Island

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was fortunate enough to find one bottle available of this @ Cardoza's in Fall River back in August. Poured from a 22oz bottle into Southern Tier tulip. Very tiny head disappears almost instantly. Smell is absolutelty fantastic! Hershey's chocolate syrup & powdered cocoa come to mind. Taste is sensational chocolate and loads of it. Roasted malt, a touch of alcohol and a good hop balance at the end round out this fantastic beer. Mouthfeel is also sensational. Mild sweetness & good carbonation are the key to an impressive mouthfeel. I gave Drinkibility a 4.5. For a beer that is 11% ABV it is clearly well hidden. I would most likely stop at one bomber simply because of the ABV. I really liked the creme brulee but this beer is in a league of it's own.
Another tremendous beer from Southern Tier once again .

11-01-2008 13:28:16 | More by ABHatter
jwinship83

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle thats been sitting in the basement for a while poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- black body under a finger of coffee colored head. decent lacing. cant ask for much more.

S- loads of dark chocolate, as one would expect. some roasted malts too.

T- strong taste of bakers chocolate. stronger than any other beer ive encountered. a hint of booze, and a decent hop presence at the end as well.

M- smooth thick and creamy.

D- pretty easy to finish the bottle after sharing a few sips with others. doubt id want to finish another given the ABV.

oddly enough, time in the cellar has almost made this one's tastes separate instead of blend together, if that makes sense to anyone but me. the booze is more pronounced, the chocolate is starting to fade etc. its been less than a year, and i think this one is better fresh. drink it now if you have them, or wait until the next batch is released and try it then if you dont. still an interesting beer that gives you exactly what youd expect.

10-28-2008 02:55:20 | More by jwinship83
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours inky black, frothy head. Nose- waves of chocolate, mix of mikly powdered chocolate smell and minor roasty notes. Taste- chocolate velvet, not in sickeningly sweet way either; chocolate is very present in a creamy choco shake kind of way. some caramel and vanilla- crazy drinkable for 11%! Mouthfeel is good- not too heavy and carbonation is mild. 1000% better than its creme brule cousin

10-27-2008 21:43:28 | More by oakbluff
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Batch 01.

A post-dusk sky that is dark but not colourless. The beer is indeed quite black and quite opaque, but not insistently so as to not allow any highlighting. Brief dashes of maroon show the beer is far from listless. The initially bountiful head slowly dissipates but an impressive capping persists as does a tan outline rather accented for a beer of this strength.

The aroma establishes one thing first and foremost and that is that this beer - and its name - is being straightforward. This is chocolate. We could debate between whether it smells more like chocolate fondue or hot fudge or perhaps even just plain old bitter cocoa beans but it does not matter. This smell is stunning, it is radiant, it is superb. I have already bit in hook, line and sinker and made sure it is firmly fixed in and hitched to my mouth.

First taste will make that line firm - that hook is anchored in and it will not be going anywhere until all 650ml of this stout has disappeared. This is not the 'impression' of chocolate that you'd find in Russian Imperials or other stouts - this simply IS chocolate. You can nevermind notes of coffee, or vanilla, or licorice, or roast malts - this is a massive clump of melted chocolate and it could not taste any better than just the way it does.

A good Swiss chocolate comes to mind, as does a rich Belgian truffle. In smell it is like taking freshly baked chocolate chip cookies from the oven but in taste it is like coating a gooey brownie in chocolate fondue and hot fudge syrup. It is every permeation of chocolate known to man. Most accurately, perhaps, the flavour is that of a very bitter, bitter, bitter and dark, dark, dark cocoa. All this chocolate tastes authentic and exquisite yes, but the bitterness resounds at a tremendous magnitude as result.

And it may very well be too much if the taste should end there - but it doesn't. Flavours linger and by the end some sweetness kicks in. While it seems to go through the motions - from cocoa bean, to baker's block, to bubbly fondue, to rich decadent truffle - nowhere along the way is any of the staggering 11% introduced. Some beers go well with dessert, some may be rich enough to serve as dessert itself. That is certainly true for Choklat, although to call it simply 'a dessert beer' would be shortchanging the brewers.

Southern Tier seem to have one tool in their toolbox - a hammer. Like all their big beers, this is a humongous colossus of flavour and is brewing magnificence! The entire 'Black Water' series (which to date also includes the Oat, the Jah*va, and Creme Brulee) are all tremendous, stunning, damn near erotic beers but this must be my favourite. None of this has been embellished because frankly, it needs no embellishment: this is pure chocolaty decadence.

10-21-2008 01:17:10 | More by biegaman
sleazo

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

2007 vintage

A_Pours a very dark black with a small tan head. Nothing really more to be said other than that.

S_The smell is dominated by a scent of fudge or better yet brownie mix. There is a bit of alcohol as well.

T_Very rich fudge is the best way to describe this. There are hints of espresso and alcohol but rich chocolate dominates here. The aftertaste is bitter chocolate again. Not overly complex but very chocolatey which is what I suppose they are going for.

M_A bit viscous with a light but hard carbonation. Works well here.

D_Very potent chocolate which while nice may be a bit too much for a beer. I am sure a year of sitting has tempered the alcohol somewhat which is a good thing. Decent enough but not my cup of tea.

10-04-2008 04:27:07 | More by sleazo