Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a remarkable beer! It pours an almost oily black color with a tan head that recedes fairly quickly. You smell the chocolate immediately...bittersweet dark chocolate, I also detect a hint of strong coffee. The taste is unbelievably chocolate like. Not too sweet, not too bitter but just right for the style. The carbonation is modest and the 11% is undetectable, very smooth. This is surprisingly drinkable, not too heavy and not too sweet. I could enjoy this as dessert or a couple as the main course. Highly recommended!

cpn920, Jan 26, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Black with a nice tan head. Good retention, nice lacing.

S: Like a chocolate bar - it's amazing how close it smells to a sweet dark chocolate. Some of the other chocolate stouts are much more bitter-smelling. This one smells like dessert.

T: Sweet dark chocolate is dominant and strong. Backing is basically undetectable, but has a slightly hoppy undertone. The overtone completely overpowers just about anything else, leaving the taste of complete chocolate-y goodness in your mouth. Would be nice if it had a little more depth, though.

M: Perfect carbonation, non-astringent, medium-body, a little syrupy. Perfect for the effect of liquid chocolate bar.

D: Actually, quite drinkable, which is surprising. I could definitely finish this off no problem on a full stomach.

ralree, Jan 26, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

My new favorite chocolate stout + favorite dessert beer of any variety. Wow.

A: poured from a large bottle into a red wine glass. Black overall with fringes of dark red. Not much head.

S: chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup on top. Not Hershey's either -- think more like Lindt. Never smelled anything like it from a beer.

T: like it smells. Chocolate everywhere. Finishes with a tad of hops but never loses the sugary glow.

M: like a typical well crafted stout, smooth but not exceptional in any dimension.

D: very easily downed for the style (11% imperial). Frankly, it's hard to stop drinking! Just don't expect a session beer. Like the oversized old-tyme milkshake your mom told you not to chug so fast, it's so tasty you'll do it anyway, even if you regret it later.

Richardberg, Jan 26, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

A: Dark black pour with an off white 1/2 head. Swirling of the glass produces a real creamy appearance that looks quite tasty. The lacing is quick to dissipate.

S: Serious sweet chocolate aroma, much more than would be expected. There is also a strong scent of yeast.

T: First impression is chocolate milk and yeast with a sticky sweet alcohol finish. There is some maltiness but the chocolate overwhelms, too much really. It's a powerful taste to say the least. There is a bit of a bitter aftertaste but there is lasting sugar to counteract it.

M: Frothy and seriously creamy. Thick and syrupy.

D: Not so much on the drinkability. It is a great desert brew and a must try for chocolate heads.

There are enough good qualities to make this more than a gimmick bear, but the chocolate is the real story here for sure. I won't be visiting this one too often but I'm glad I was able to buy several bottles.

jstilwell, Jan 26, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Pours a tinted dark chocolate brown with just the slightest burnt crimson hue. Viscous and sludgy like melted brownies. Hershey's chocolate syrup and motor oil poured into a glass. A dark mocha and caramel frothy head. Decent retention. Little to no lacing. However, this is no surprise considering what a syrupy delight this beer appears to be.

S: Amazing rich milk chocolate aroma. If you melted the finest dark chocolate bars into a bowl and poured it over chocolate ice cream. A slight touch of bourbon towards the back of the nose. Chocolate syrup and fudge scents dominate throughout this beer. I have never had a beer that smells exactly as the name states.

T: Literally a chocolate mousse dessert in a bottle. A liquefied and luxurious buttery cocoa confection. Roasted sweet dark chocolate with powered cocoa sprinkled on top. Creamy molasses and brown sugar mixed with chocolate liquor. Pure and creamy decadence. Little hints of caramel and vanilla. However, chocolate is the main attraction. Quite frankly I cannot think of any more synonyms for chocolate that will do this justice.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with a smooth richness that is quite impressive. Sweet, fluffy, and chewy.

D: This beer is beyond drinkable if you like chocolate. Southern Tier has really impressed me by bringing another over the top beer. I would love to drink this everyday but much like anything this divine it should be enjoyed in moderation. The Mayans were onto something in more ways than one.

erikm25, Jan 25, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to jcb890 for this one,

A- Hard pour with a nice tan head that disipated quickly, slightly oily looking, and pitch black in color.

S- Holy CHOCOLATE, this beer actually smells like real chocolate. I have never smelled this much chocolate in any beer..

T- Good, once you get by the great chocolate flavor it is you common stout stuff, little coffee and such.

M- Good, fairly viscous but not as thick as the OAT version which i just had prior, does a fair job of coating your mouth.

D- Extremely easy to drink as was the OAT which is why i had both in one sitting. Smell and drinkability are where this beer prevails.

JWD, Jan 24, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - Pitch black with a thin head. Don't even try holding this glass up to the light - you won't see through it!

s - Wow, actual chocolate. Not coffee. Maybe the scent is closer to chocolate syrup but I'll let it slide. Inviting.

t - Rich, slightly bitter, A touch of chocolate but I think you're really picking that up with the nose.

m - Medium body and a syrupy mouth coating.

d - A solid sipper. Good medium carbonation, slightly tangy finish to go with the bitter. Smells great and re-engages my interest with each raise of the glass. At 11% ABV I think you have to give it its due - even if one bomber is more than enough for one person.

I'm trying this as not much of a stout guy and after being disappointed by the predominantly bitter-coffee taste of Rogue's Chocolate Stout. For my money I'll take the Southern Tier any day.

talkinghatrack, Jan 24, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Poured out dark brown, almost black color with a small, fizzy, light brown head. It left no lacing at all.

S - It smelled of milk chocolate, floral notes and sweet maltiness.

T - It tasted of deliciously sweet chocolate with a bitter hop kick.

M - It is crisp and sharp. A medium-bodied beer with a warming alcohol presence.

D - This is a great tasting brew. However, a bomber of it is a difficult thing to handle by yourself.

zeff80, Jan 24, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -22.4%

22 oz bomber, 2nd batch release brewed in fall 2008.

Poured into an Ommegang mini-snifter. Black, brown head fairly thick and layered, but breaks rather quickly. A very inviting look for a big stout.

The aroma is all chocolate, fudge, syrup, Nestle tollhouse chips. There is an aroma of heavy alcohol too, not off putting fusels but very big warm that presents like a liqueur. I pick up nothing from the malt profile of this beer and certainly no hops, the latter of which is certainly not a big deal, but I found the chocolate to be overwhelmingly the only dimension beyond the alcohol.

Taste is the same as the aroma, huge overwhelming chocolate flavors, very interesting in that as it warms the chocolate flavors never subside, never play second fiddle. Like the aroma the only other fiddle in the taste is alcohol which serves to create a bit of lightness in the heavy chocolate character and wash the finish clean in each sip.

Mouthfeel is very full bodied, slick and oily from the chocolate character with what little perceptible bitterness accentuated by the alcohol.

As far as drinkability, this is an interesting concept for a beer and easily the most chocolate flavor I have encountered in a beer, but I do not find this to be an American Double or an Imperial stout in any real regard, this is a specialty flavored beer much like any of the hybrid fruit, vegetable or spiced styles. It is very intriguing and should be tried at least once if you can get it.

At nearly $10 a bomber, this beer simply does not say repeat visits to me.

PBoegel, Jan 22, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

I bought a bottle of this at the Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a deep, deep brown. It is very close to black. The body was so still that there was no head and consequently no lace.
Smell: The aroma reminded me of s'mores. I wasn't able to place any of the specific scents.
Taste: The flavors were, obviously, chocolate. I tasted M & M's and milk chocolate. It wasn't very bitter at all.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very smooth.
Drinkability: This is a very good sipping beer. It is a bit intense, but I enjoyed it. I wasn't able to finish the entire bottle.
Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Jan 20, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

I had this on-tap a The Firkin up in Libertyville, IL.

Poured in a 10oz tulip. Opaque, deep dark caramel if black and brown had a baby this is it. Massive cocoa and chocolate malt milkshake on the nose. First taste is more of same. Head is tight but dissipates to nothing. Lacing is thin but repetitive and sticky.

This beer seems to be a love-hate kind of thing. Personally I love it...but rated drinkability rather low since I could never have more than one per sitting.

davedahl, Jan 20, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

a: Opaque, dark, dark, almost black. Slightly carmal colored head. Only a tad bit of lacing.
s: Chocolate, a lot of it. Giving it a vigorous swirl a very rich dark fruit (cherries, raisons) comes through, but with that nice chocolate over top of it. Reminds me of a chocolate covered cherries.
t: First taste gave me a rich coffee mixed with the dark fruits that I smelled in the glass. Taking another, larger, swig the alcohol in the beverage stands out a bit more, and I get a nice warm coffee finish.
m: I am a bit disappointed for here, it is a bit thin for what I was expecting from this this, but it coated the mouth nicely it just didn't have the thickness that I was expecting.
d: For being a big (high abv) beer this is surprisingly drinkable, however, I think that the bomber I have will be enough for me.

tosshin, Jan 19, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -20%

Growler to Snifter to get drunk quicker?

A: Lively chocolate liquid, with a small 1 cm water down coffee looking head. Head dissipated with some lacing intact.

S: Smells of sweet chocolate, scant hops.

T: Upfront it's nice a sweet and makes me want yell, "Mom I can get drunk off chocolate!" but before my excitement is heard, the chocolate gets bitter, unpleasant, and the sweetness dematerializes into anything buy sweet.

sweet face + a pungent ass.

M: Good body, that could have been heavier, slightly thin. The penetrating aftertaste hinders it from having a smooth finish.

D: Can you guys honestly keep drinking more than a 8 oz serving of this beer?

My taste buds don't agree on this one I guess. Good looking/smelling beer with marketing behind it. A lot of hype on this number.

MPLS, Jan 19, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Dark, dark brown with a foamy tan head. The head dissipates quickly as you would expect with a high abv beer. There is not much lacing, but that is also expected.

Aroma: Wow, this is definitely the most chocolately smelling beer I've ever whiffed! The Belgian chocolate is strong in the nose and very enticing.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. It is thick and chewy in the mouth. Just terrific!

Taste: Like the aroma, this one is so strong with Belgian chocolate, it is like a dessert. The dark chocolate tastes like you could float a scoop of ice cream in here and it would be right at home. There is hints of hops, but it is very well-balanced and the alcohol is well hidden allowing the chocolate to shine.

Overall impression: This is a great stout and a standard-bearer for chocolate stouts. The high abv is nicely hidden and the chocolate is downright decadent! I may just have to get another one to actually try the float idea! Great beer!

jkendrick, Jan 19, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours pitch black. With an aggressive pour it releases a nice finger tall tan head. Pretty attractive actually, the head disipates fairly quickly though. Good lacing.

S - Smells of hershey's syrup with a faint roastiness.

T - Having a hard time reviewing this demanding beer so I've read through some of the previous reviews. Someone mentioned chocolate syrup mixed with vodka. That is not too far off. It's got the roasty character of a stout but you are certainly hit over the head with chocolate syrup and booze. There is a hop bitterness in the finish but it still has a cloying sweetness to it from the chocolate syrup flavor and booziness.

M - Medium bodied. I wish this was a bit fuller in body and had a creaminess to it.

D - Certainly not highly drinkable. I do think this would make a great dessert beer to split 3 or 4 ways. I'm having a time of it tackling the bomber alone. It is definitely an intense beer and worth a try. It is not for everybody but it is surely and interesting brew.

hellomcfly, Jan 18, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes from drinking the 22oz split with my wife earlier on a frigidly freaking freezing day in the Northeast. I thought that would be the time to crack it open. Poured into enormous Dogfish snifter.
Bottle Graphics: 8/10. Enticing.

I want to start that Southern Tier has been hit or miss to me on several occassions because they push the envelope. I, unlike many, loved the Creme Brulee. This one actually falls in the middle though- didn't love it nearly as much as Jahva but didn't find it hard to drink like the Cherry Saison.

A: Body-- Black, nuff said. I see nothing else in the glass from the pour, like a blackest of black holes. Is it possible to have a nearly black foam produced from a beer? These guys may have done it, come pretty darn close.

S: Melted chocolate bar, the sweet Ghiradellli chocolate, not garbage choclate. Maybe some good hot cocoa syrup, again- not the nestle bunny stuff, the high maintnance fu-fu fancy chocolate. I need to hunt for it but there is a spice flavor in the aroma that comes out when its cold.

T: Intense chocolate, diabetics beware. I think I like the Creme Brulee better because I am more of a butterscotch fan than I am of raw chocolate. This is nearly as intense and that is saying a lot. Not kidding when I say this tastes like a melted high-quality 80% chocolate bar with alcohol burn. It does not taste like any other beer I've tried or even like a beer.

The 11% is felt in the taste, no games being played. Different flavors come out more than it did in the aroma- coffee, cashew. As it warmed off, I didn't find it as pleasureable- I enjoyed the burn.

M: Decadent like many of the ST brews. Smooth, chewy, minute amounts of carbonation. Lovely alcohol burn that warms all the way down to the chest with the heat.

D: Oh yes, this will warm you on a cold winter's night. Between the feel and punch of the alcohol and the sugar content I am glad I didn't take on the 22oz myself.

marcpal, Jan 18, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -51.8%

22oz bomber poured into a mug

A - dark black with 0.5cm of head, if that.

S - Hershey's syrup and cocoa. not much else going on here

T - hershey's syrup tastes with two other weak chocolate-like taste, but it mostly tasted like watery chocolate syrup. alcohol was not noticeable, nor were any hops.

M - very watery, too thin to be an IS

D - not good.

bowersdm, Jan 18, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

22 oz. bottle from early 2008 (cellared for almost a year).

Inky dark brown to almost black. Small, tightly-packed, light khaki head. Some lacing. Nose is dominated by chocolate: chocolate syrup, Tootsie Rolls, truffles, and bitter dark chocolate. Some roasted notes amongst the chocolate scuffle.

Starts out with some roasted coffee bitterness and then soon moves to richer, sweeter chocolate flavors. Dark chocolate dominates, but dark fruits, vanilla, and candy sweetness mix in. Finish is roasty-bitter, with lingering dark chocolate and cocoa powder. When I first tried this beer fresh a year ago, I remember the taste being as chocolate-y as the nose. After a year in the bottle, though, the chocolate flavor has receded somewhat. Full-bodied and thick, and pretty drinkable for it's weight and intensity. And even with this aged bottle's toned down chocolate character, it is still the most chocolate-y beer out there!

alexgash, Jan 18, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -20%

Poured into a goblet from a 22 oz bottle. Dark, dark , dark! Thickish khaki colored head that disappears immediately.

Smell is all chocolate, almost overpowering. So overpowering that I thought I would not like the beer. More on that...

Taste is not as chocolatey as the smell portends. Very thick mouthfeel, which I like, but the sweet choclatey taste takes away from the mouthfeel. Tasting every bit of the 11% alc.

Drinkablility? Are you kidding? I wish I had someone to share the bomber with.

Overall, not bad, but as I said next time, I'll make sure there's someone to share.

ProudBeerSnob, Jan 18, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours jet black with a thin tan head that was gone in an instant.

Smell is hershey syrup, a whiff of alcohol, and some roasted malt, but by far the dominance is the chocolate.

First sip is as if you mixed hershey syrup with vodka. You get some roasted malt in there, but chocolate dominates -- very strong. I looked for a sweetness and a bitterness, and there is a fine balance here. Sweetness is not sugary, but the sweetness of the malt. Finish is extremely clean, which is a great surprise, as I thought this would be cloying. You just get this light chocolate aftertaste.

A heavier beer that some carbonation -- not much - cuts through. A real sipper.

Drinkability. Have to be honest here, this is a very well made, carefully balanced brew that I half drain poured. Overpowering chocolate syrup flavor made this nearly undrinkable for me. Where's the beer? The boozy chocolate liquor aspect made this a tough one to get down. I could probably share a 22 0z bomber, but could not choke down the entire thing myself. Just my palate, but I'll never buy this again. I think I wasted $9.00.

OtherShoe2, Jan 17, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Had the pleasure of having this on draft at Vintage Estate's in Boardman Ohio. Poured into a 12oz glass, pours a jet black with a bit of a dark tan head. Smell is amazing, fine fine chocolate smell with a bit of interlaces of rose and cherry in the nose. First taste I was greeted with straight chocolate bar taste, and a nice slick hop finish, this litterly taste's like a chocolate covered hop. Alcohol was not detected at all, which can be dangerous with this fine offering. Overall the excitement of having this on draft was a moment that I will savor for a long time.

gunnerman, Jan 16, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured this from a bomber into a snifter, as that seemed appropriate...

Appearance: Very black with a creamy colored 1-finger head that dissipated relatively quickly

Smell: bitter chocolate like a good dark chocolate, roasted malt, with quite a sweet note

Taste: the first thing is a lot of chocolate which fades into a slightly coffee-like after taste. There's a bit of a bitterness, as well.

Mouthfeel: this was like liquid silk; thin but substantial at the same time

Drinkability: super tasty, super sweet beer...I would definitely have this again. There is a definite dark chocolate flavor and the beer is very rich.

All in all, I would have to put this up as an example of a well-executed sweet stout. It was very rich, very sweet, and perfect for dessert.

brianh78, Jan 15, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

I have eagarly anticipated trying this beer.
Pours out a blacker than black color of malted goodness, the head is suprisingly foamy for such a big stout. The head itself is something to behold,light,milk-chocolate colored, and completly delicious looking.
At the very first smell,I have to sit back and laugh. This is so fantasticly delicious smelling,its utterly ridiculous. Melted Hershey bars,warm toast spread with Nutella,hazelnuts,bitter cocoa,milk chocolate, a remarkably "choklat" smelling beer. Hops provide just enough bitterness to make it incredibly smooth,rather than overly sweet. Smells like food of the gods to me.
I don't know what to say..This tastes..beautiful. Hazelnuts,chocolate, Nutella,Hersheys,high-grade 70% dark chocolate, the best Belgian chocolate bar you've ever tried. Mouthfeel is thick,velvety,yet ends suprisingly light with a long finish of bitter chocolate. Where is the ABV?
Southern Tier is one of the most talented breweries Ive come across. Whereas Jahva has chocolate notes,but leans into coffee flavored perfection, Choklat has coffee notes but is the most perfect chocolate smelling chocolate tasting "choklat" beer Ive ever had. The names of thier beers are exactly what you are going to get. I honestly can't imagine a more perfect tasting "chocolate stout",hence my score. The only bad part of the experience is reaching the bottom of the glass,which comes all too quickly.

czfreeman, Jan 15, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Upon ordering, my bartender said "Tastes like Quick! How can you drink it slow when it tastes like Quik!?" With everything I've heard, I wonder if I can.

Poured black and seemingly pretty thick, with a dark tan head that displayed CO2 bubbles of a variety of sizes. Settled to a whispy cap and pretty good ring that also showed some pretty lacing.

Oh, it smells like chocolate milk. Chocolate, but also a distinct sweetness intermingling. Some slight spice accompanies a warming alcohol note to the nose.

Mmm... tasty. Thick and sugary. A diabetic's nightmare. Quick is right, if you could give milk a bit more substance and pack in some carbonation. ABV is very well hidden, evidencing itself in slight astringency that works with a dollop of hops to nicely compliment, if not balance, the heavy and heady chocolate bar taste. Also some warming at the back of the throat towards the end.

A heavy beer, but with just the right amount of carbonation prickliness, a well hidden ABV, and the sheer damn tastiness of it, its pretty drinkable. Too fast and it would get cloying, but a treat to drink.

TheMistler, Jan 15, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Poured into goblet to show motor oil dark brown that at first clears out the center for a cap but then slowly builds a finger plus coffee brown khaki head as if going in reverse. Partially soapy bubbles and leaving a fine sheet of broken and falling lace. This is a great lookin' beer my friends!

S: The nose is a powerfully sweet molassess, alcohol and bitter sweet dark chocolate. As the bottle details, the boys at Southern Tier have made the Mayan coco mix and added to this to create something truly special.

T: This is the first chocolate stout where I tasted the chocolate first and foremost. I truly understand why the Mayans considered it a cosmic experience after having thier coco batch heated. When you add the Southern Tier roasted barley and malt, you may just touch off for a few moments to beer nirvana yourself. With each quaf you are greeted with generous amounts of chocolate and minor dashes of espresso. You don't taste the ABV at all, however my wife could smell it on my breath two hours later when i was still expounding about this great beer! With so much of the sweet flavor taken care of, the boys at Southern Tier took two style of hops for some spicyness to work with the bittersweetness of the chocolate. The ability to mix the drink with the stout is astounding.

M: Not as thick and creamy as the flavor but still creamy lucsious and properyly carbonated.

D: Southern Tier's Choklat is one of the best American Double/Imperial Stouts out there folks. While others adverstise under the name and mix more coffee, this one is the real deal in every drop.

Brianmerrilyn, Jan 13, 2009