Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
Bighuge

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Opaque body. Thin brown head. Bubbly collar leaves some sparse patches of lace. This smells like a saucepan full of belgian chocolate slowly melting on the stove prior to being used in some kickass desert recipe. Thick, rich and luxurious. Perfect for what it is. Flavor starts with chocolate and ends with chocolate. AND it has a good dose of chocolate in between. You gotta hand it to Southern Tier, when they go after a specific aroma and flavor, they usually nail it. (See Pumpking and Creme Brulee.) There is a nuance of a stout backing to this, but who's kidding who? You buy this to taste liquid chocolate and that's what you get. Molten, viscous, decadent chocolate. This is the best chocolate beer I've had. The 11% is incredibly well hidden. Makes it fairly easy to drink, if you take away the extremely rich character of this beer.

01-07-2009 05:48:30 | More by Bighuge
Packforever1976

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Served at cellar temp in my oversized snifter.

A: Pours jet black. Good sized creamy tan head that slowly recedes. Decent retention for an imperial.

S: Wow. Smells of decadent milk chocolate. A nice blast of vanilla mixes in there as well. Smells unbelievably awesome.

T: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Or should I say Choklat? A blend of good milk/dark chocolate. A touch of vanilla. Not too sweet, just right. Fricking decadent.

M: Ummm...awesome. Nice and creamy. ST really nailed it with the thickness. Carbonation is just right. Too much carbonation would totally change this. It's spot on.

D: I can't detect the alcohol hardly at all. Just a slight alcohol burn in the back. This one could be dangerous. Great beer.

01-07-2009 03:49:28 | More by Packforever1976
DIM

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

a: This was a very dark brown, some light managed to peek through the edges. It poured with a short, light tan colored head.

s: Holy crap, this smells like my mom's chocolate pudding cake! The chocolate doesn't smell like plastic easter candy either. This smells like chocolate that someone like me with a minimal sweet tooth would have a hard time passing up. There is a hint of maltiness and a little vanilla as well. Not beery in the least, but I love the way this smells!

t: The taste falls a bit short of the smell, but it is still fantastic. This is still quite chocolatey, but not as much as the smell suggested. The fabulous imported chocolate flavors are blunted somewhat by a dry malty (as in malted milkshake) "roughness".

m: This has a good body and fantastic active carbonation.

d: This makes me forget the whole Creme Brulee fiasco. This isn't my favorite stout, but I think they accomplished exactly what they set out to do. I love this beer.

01-06-2009 21:32:16 | More by DIM
fdrich29

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I was picking up a few Christmas presents at Gordon's on main Street in Waltham and decided to grab this as a gift to myself.

Fantastic looking beer. Dark black with a frothy tan head.

Smells of sweet, rich chocolate, not sicky sweet, but a nice Hersey's-esque smell.

Nice balance of chocolate and malt, very rich drink. A nice Imperial Stout. I'm usually disappointed in flavored beers, especially chocolate, but this one seems right on.

Mouthfeel was remarkably smooth and creamy. A bit of a crispy bite at the end.

I'm not able to put back a lot of the 11% beers anymore, but I'm enjoying each sip of this black beauty.

01-06-2009 01:32:27 | More by fdrich29
Walken

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Southern Tier: Choklat Stout (2008) (Tasted 01/05/08)
22 oz. bottle, poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Extremely dark brown, probably safe to say opaque, I really don't see any light passing through this sucker. Head forms up well for one topping an 11% brew, but then dies down to a mocha colored, foamy crown over the beer, lacing is solid.
Odor: Smells exactly like bar of chocolate that has just been ripped in half and is about to be devoured. Milk chocolate with hints of cream, caramel and toasted malt sit in the background adding a slight toasty edge to an otherwise one dimensional nose.
Consistency: Full bodied, slightly syrupy, but not quite as much as other Southern Tier big beers. More on the soft & creamy side. Carbonation is low, barely noticeable.
Taste: Not nearly as rich as the aroma lets on. This beer is by no means "dry", but it's certainly not as sweet as the others in the Blackwater series. Soft chocolate, ripe berry and a slightly roasty flavor reminiscent of espresso are the main flavors of this beer. This sucker is surprisingly well balanced for an unbalanced beer. Hops ride low in the back of the palate, just barely breaking through the monstrous chocolate and malt flavors to prickle the palate with some herbal bitterness, blossoming in the finish with a bit of lingering herb and spice flavor that melds well with the bittersweet chocolate that accompanies it. Alcohol flashes for a quarter of a second during the finish, other than that, you could tell me that I'm drinking malta and I might believe you.

This is probably my favorite of the Blackwater Series, because the featured ingredient is well integrated, it's not trying to push the boundaries of conventional beer to the point of absurdity. Choklat is a great, drinkable desert beer.

01-05-2009 22:20:02 | More by Walken
AaronRed

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Lots of expectations come with this beer. It does not dissapoint. The only down side, and I don't really see it as one, is the lack of head retention- probably due to the nature of this brew. Being a chocolate lover, this beer is one of a kind. Never have I smelled or tasted a beer that has so much chocolate. I now do not mind spending so much on this beer, because it had to be a fortune to produce. A very rich pleasing stout, so amazingly smooth given how much alcohol there is. One of the best desert beers I have ever had.

01-04-2009 22:03:06 | More by AaronRed
MillRat

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

(original review) Pours an inky-black with a thin but persistent cocoa-colored head. As one gets within olfactory range of the glass, the entire reason for this brew becomes stunningly apparent. Chocolate. Not chocolate malt, but chocolate like thick, dark, bittersweet, specialty-shop, savor the experience, rare cacao bean chocolate. Piss me off because this now supplants my own homebrew chocolate oatmeal stout as my wife's favorite beer. It's that good. While rich, this is not cloying sweet, and the 11% ABV and a perfectly proportioned bitter aftertaste keeps the richness in check so you (or your grinning wife) can easily consume the entire 22 oz. bomber. So while a second bomber might be a bit overwhelming, a beer of this potency and richness that makes it quite so easy to get through the first bomber is a notable accomplishment.

Edit 24 Dec 2010: Served on-tap at Oswego Tap House. Everything said previously is true, and the chocolate is still as potent and smooth as noted above.

01-04-2009 17:11:02 | More by MillRat
ZAP

4.43/5  rDev +4%

I approached this beer tepidly after growing to really dislike Creme from this same brewery...with that said I have always liked a good chocolate stout...at one point I thought Toungs Double Chocolate was over the top...then Rogue's Chocolate stout...but over time my impressions of those tamed...both still good but not as richly chocolate flavored as I remembered in my craft beer drinking infancy...

This is it though....if you want a chocolate beer you can't beat this....the nose smells like a rich dry cocoa mix was tossed into the bottle....the taste is big on the cocoa and sweeter milk chocolate notes...hershey's syrup, chocolate almond fudge ice cream....very flavorfull...

This is 11% and it has some hints of an imperial stout but this is tame compared to say Expedition or any of the big hitters...body is medium to full but not super rich and thick like those...

All in all this is a treat...probably best shared with someone unless you REALLY like chocolate.

01-04-2009 04:11:10 | More by ZAP
mnj21655

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

At first glance this beer doesn't really look all the remarkable. It pours a deep black with only the merest hints of dark brown at the edges. Head is dark khaki, not quite a half finger at its zenith, and dissipates rather rapidly. Aroma is very good, bordering on excellent. At first it seems a bit subdued, I think to myself "ok, they used chocolate in this brew. nothing special". i didn't realize how wrong I was. I got distracted and walked away for just a few minutes and when i came back I found an entirely different beer. After this brew had a bit of time to warm up the aroma went from one-dimensional and average at best to damn near perfect. I picked up the glass, give it a little swirl and before the glass was a foot from my nose I was greeted with a most heavenly aroma. Good bittersweet chocolate, I mean really good bittersweet chocolate, REALLY good bittersweet chocolate. There are also some nice sweet caramel undertones present but this one is all about the chocolate. So at this point its fair to say that I'm impressed, however I've yet to even taste the brew and frankly thats the part that really counts. So I finally get to this and I am greeted with a flavor to match that delectable aroma. The focus of this beer is obviously the chocolate but there are subtleties here that make this all the more enjoyable. The chocolate is bittersweet, at first more sweet and later more bitter. The malt character is simply there to support the chocolate but very complimentary and by no means uninteresting. There is a slight caramel character, a bit of chocolate malt character (not the 'chocolate' flavor you usually get out of chocolate malt, thats covered by the real deal in this brew) and a building bitterness that can only be from the hops. There really isn't any detectable hop flavor here but the late bitterness is far too strong to be from the chocolate so the hops are the only possible culprit. The bitterness lingers only briefly, the sweetness a bit longer and the chocolate flavor longest of all. Call me crazy but in the aftertaste i detect a touch (no more) of black coffee and tobacco. Mouthfeel is quite good, medium-full bodied with low-medium carbonation. This brew manages to get the mouthfeel spot on. It is neither too heavy nor too light, it is simply perfect, it lingers on the plate with just the right weight for just the right amount of time. As for alcohol, I read the bottle an found out that this brew is not to be taken lightly at 11% ABV and I would never have guessed it. For a time I forgot that I was even drinking a beer. This seems more like homemade cocoa made with some really, really good chocolate. Drinkability is exceptional, I find myself suddenly finished with the a glass that I thought I started just a minute ago. This brew is by far the best chocolate stout I've had. I find myself contemplating the purchase of as much as I can carry despite these trying economic times and my usual frugal ways. Overall this is excellent, try it. Seriously. Do it. Do it now. Or do it later. Just try it.

01-04-2009 03:32:40 | More by mnj21655
sonicdescent

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Had on tap at Ds six pack in Monroeville pa.

Now this is how to do an imperial stout. Pours black with a generous brown head. Clings to the side of the glass through the entire drink.

Smells of chocolate milk. Not complex but damn appetizing.

Tastes like a carbonated chocolate milk. The chocolate flavor is very rich and there is not much hop presence.

Mouthfeel is just perfect. Lightly carbonated and full.

As for drinkability, this is worth the price. It is just too rich flavored to drink more than one at a time, not to mention the alcohol content.

With all that said, this is the best imperial stout I have had.

01-03-2009 20:31:15 | More by sonicdescent
AdmiralDiaz

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

I've been very excited to try this one from Southern Tier, had a bit of trouble finding a bottle though, finally picked one up for about $8.

Pours very thick, it reminded me of the way the top of a mud puddle becomes uneven when more mud is poured into it...not as dramatic of course.
Extremely dark brown, if it weren't for thin traces of brown along the edges of the drink you'd think it were black.

Smells of rich sweet chocolate with a hint of coffee. Basically smells like someone took a cup of Hershey's chocolate syrup and pour a bit of beer into it.

The smell gives a very good indication of the taste. Heavy bittersweet chocolate taste with a lacing of coffee, just whats expected. Very delicious!

Very thick and creamy with minimal carbonation make for a very smooth sipper.

The thickness of this beer was a bit much for me after a while. It's a perfect bottle to split or to get on-tap if possible, but after the first glass my enthusiasm for the beer went downhill, partially due to the fact that i had taken my time letting it get a little warm.

Overall i feel its a very tasty treat for you and a friend.

01-03-2009 07:37:22 | More by AdmiralDiaz
nrbw23

A- Pours a dark brown or black not really sure what color it is. Pretty much no head or lacing just a few bubbles on top.

S- My first thought was this thing smells like a tootsie roll. Tons of chocolate and that's all. Doesn't smell like a beer at all but its not really bad either.

T- Pretty intense chocolate here. Alcohol is hidden really well. Overall, it was pretty nice and a lot better than some other chocolate beers I've had.

M- Creamy, low carbonation and medium to full in body.

D- Wasn't too bad but I don't think I could drink a lot of these. Something that I could drink every once in a while.

01-02-2009 23:29:34 | More by nrbw23
bamadog

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber into a trusty 16 oz. pint glass...

Appearance: Very dark brown -- about as dark brown as you can get without being black. A one finger tan head was present as well but did not last long at all.

Smell: Sweet chocolate, like Hershey's syrup and a strong presence of alcohol. I pretty much knew what would be coming with the taste.

Taste: Alcohol is easily the most present factor here, followed nicely by the chocolate. One thing I noticed as it went down is that the chocolatey aftertaste made it easier to drink as the alcohol was a little more pungent than I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than it looked from the pour - it was a little sticky and it dried the palate nicely from the alcohol. A very mellow carbonation factor helped make this a very smooth drink.

Drinkability: Great tasting stout with a wonderful effect on the mouth. The only things that would prevent me from making this a session beer is the high ABV and the weight -- it's awfully filling.

This is my first Southern Tier beer and I figure that this is about as great of a start that one can have with a particular brewery. Hats off to them!

01-02-2009 17:39:34 | More by bamadog
joerodiii

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

This beer pours pitch black and looks very thick like used motor oil. I poured it colder than recommended, so the head was minimal. (I like to pour imperials cold and let them warm as I sip.) The aroma is predominantly chocolate with hints of brown sugar or molasses and maybe coffee.

First flavor tasted is the chocolate, and it dominates the whole way down. There is a sweet, yet not cloying maltiness that really supports the chocolate plus a subtle burnt roastiness. The bitterness is appropriate for an imperial stout, however the variety of hops doesn't quite work for me. As the beer works its way toward the back of my mouth I get a strong sense of rotting grass clippings. It doesn't ruin the beer; it only makes it less than perfect for me.

The mouthfeel is wonderful. The carbonation seems a bit higher than other Imp stouts, but it goes well with the very thick, almost syrupy texture of the beer. It isn't often that I get to enjoy a beer with this kind of mouthfeel that isn't overly sweet.

I plan on picking up a few more bottles to cellar. I'm curious to see how age affects this beer.

01-01-2009 22:11:24 | More by joerodiii
CHSLBrew

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Bomber poured into a red wine glass. Enjoyed with my wine-drinking mom and dad, who both enjoyed it :)

A-Dark, dark, dark black, very opaque, quite attractive. With a vigorous pour, pretty much no head formed, only sparse bubbles. With a swirl, some attractive dark brown bubbles arise.

S-The smell was dominated by semi-sweet chocolate. I'm not surprised by this, though at times it seemed the aroma lacked complexity.

T-The flavor matched the aroma: deep semi-sweet chocolate. Thick roasted malts emerge under this chocolate, with hints of smooth alcohol and an accompanying warmth. Some hop bitterness comes through, but much of this beer's bitterness seems to be derived from the chocolate. Finishes heavy with bitter, at times semi-sweet, chocolate.

M-Heavy, full bodied beer, feels quite viscous moving in my mouth with a slight graininess. Low carbonation, as evidenced by the lack of head. The carbonation is smooth and appropriate.

D-Very heavy and rich, flavorful beer, so this bomber pretty much needs to be shared with a friend. But, the bigness of this beer is its appeal, and it is a very enjoyable beer. As with some of the others in Southern Tier's Blackwater Series, the flavor seems, at times, a bit too dominated by the chocolate. Get this one and expect a deep, enjoyable drink with a friend.

01-01-2009 18:05:55 | More by CHSLBrew
kbnooshay

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Described by BA users as one of southern tiers "Love it or hate it beers along with creme brulee which i loved. "Poured black as hell with a half finger width brown frothy head that only stuck around about 30 seconds. Aroma is of Nesquick with alcohol! Taste is of delicious chocolate! The chocolate flavor is as bitter and belgian tasting as i would have expected but more like cocoa. The flavor is smooth and like a tall glass of chocolate milk but with a tiny burn of alcohol goin down your throat. There is a little hop kick at the end, i would have wanted a tad more but thats fine. The feel is super smooth and slightly tingly from the carbonation. And boy this is drinkable! Alcohol is barely detectable!

Love it or hate it? I love it! Southern tier rocks.

01-01-2009 04:34:26 | More by kbnooshay
paco1029384756

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours black with very little head and good lacing.

Scent of chocolate malts, cocoa powder, milk chocolate and more chocolate.

Taste of strong chocolate and cocoa powder with some roasted malts. Finishes with more roasted malts and a lasting chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel is heavy and thick.

01-01-2009 01:29:21 | More by paco1029384756
HoppyMcStout

Missouri

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

I had a chance to grab some of this from Friar Tuck on a visit to STL. Pours the standard very dark brown and has little head and looks like your average RIS. The smell is incredible! Straight chocolate! The taste is pure chocolate without being too bitter - very creamy mouthfeel. One of the best brews I have had the privelege of drinking in 2008.

12-31-2008 22:57:29 | More by HoppyMcStout
tavernjef

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Sits a deep black with a tight fluffy capping of dark sandy tan foam. Keeps a moderate skim and bubbling always present. Incredible amounts of thinly placed lacing coats the glass well in tiny moth holed sheeting.

Nose smacking delightful aroma of super fresh chocolate milk, creamy cocoa, boozy centered bread pudding, and soft bakers chocolate. If ya like the smell of any kind of chocolate - Choklat Stout won't disappoint.

Taste is a wonderment of chocolaty delight! Fresh bakers chocolate fluff really stands out with a milky, dark chocolaty frosting, creamy fullness, and a slight tang of sweetness that's feathery in some deep dark sherry. Bits of roastyness at the edge of the finish and very late warmth emerge as it finishes wonderfully round and fulfillingly rich and deep with awesome chocolate turtle/forest cake fluff. Creates great length in taste and fluffy warming body. Yum!

Has a nice full, milken, and creamy body with an immaculate smoothness and tender chocolaty fluff that lasts forever across the palate with its tender cake-like texture. The 11% is nearly incomprehensibly non-existent with the warmth only showing late after certain bigger gulps.

And gulp you will do much of with this stuff! Holy chocolate fuckin' yum! I could drink myself into a chocolaty senselessness with a few bombers of these! Very yummy stuff! Southern Tier rocks out another sensational brew that, no doubt, speaks to its name of this one - Choklat!

12-30-2008 00:40:12 | More by tavernjef
BasementDweller

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Bomber. Hey! Who put hops in my chocolate milk!? Pours a jet black with a cream head. Aroma is of purest chocolate syrup with a hint of floral hops. Flavor is more of the same: wonderfully sweet chocolate (the Hershey's syrup variety, not the dry cocoa flavor found in some other chocolate stouts) with a hop kick at the end. Would have liked a little more body, and a little less hops. Still, a good beer for the style, and much better when it warms. Here's one to get your buddies talking.

12-29-2008 21:11:55 | More by BasementDweller
LilBeerDoctor

Reviewed on 2/20/08. Bottle. Pours a dark brown with a very small light head. Aroma of chocolate. Taste of lots of chocolate (particularly tootsie roll chocolate), some roast in the aftertaste. If you like chocolate, you will love this beer. Even better, eat some chocolate with this beer and you will really be in heaven. This is good stuff.
8/4/8/5/17 (4.2/5)

12-29-2008 19:22:06 | More by LilBeerDoctor
jpalarchio

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to Michael at Champanes for digging this one up for me.

This beer pours midnight black, completely opaque, with a light brown head. The smell is not unlike a dark Hersey's candy bar, the chocolate is quite evident.

Taste is very smooth, the chocolate flavor is nearly over the top but I guess that's to be expected when the beer is called "Choklat". If you handed me a glass of cold hot chocolate, I might not know the difference.

The alcohol is well hidden at 11% although I was reminded as I made it through the bottle.

I would consider this beer to be a very occasional treat, quite good as a dessert. I wish I had some holiday cheesecake to go with this, I think they would be good together.

12-29-2008 03:19:29 | More by jpalarchio
skee1080

District of Columbia

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A-dark, dark brown to almost black; small off-white head that settles rather quickly

S-sweet hershey's chocolate syrup; some roastiness; slight coffee aroma; no hop aroma

T-wow! intense chocolate flavor but well-balanced with a slight bitterness; the malt lends some roasted coffee and dark chocolate flavors that linger on the finish; no hop flavor

M-thick and full-bodied; medium carbonation

D-this is really an incredible "extreme" beer. it'd be tough to get down more than one glass in a sitting, but this is a great after dinner beer (or after lunch in my case) for those with a sweet tooth. southern tier did a great job though of balancing the intense chocolatiness with the beer's natural malt and hop character.

12-28-2008 17:39:22 | More by skee1080
praufs01

2.8/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance - Very dark with a creamy mocha colored head.

Aroma - Dark chocolate dominates the nose.

Mouth feel - Full bodied stout with small bubble carbonation.

Taste - Bitter bakers chocolate with an alcohol finish.

Overall - It smells much better than it tastes. The bitterness of the dark chocolate is overwhelming and in my opinion ruins the experience.

12-27-2008 04:38:04 | More by praufs01
trafordboy

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

This ridiculously decadent brew pours ink black with a perilously thin ruby line that is barely visible when held to the light. The thick, frothy mocha head holds well but eventually disappears and leaves little to no lace. The aroma fills your nostrils as soon as the bottle is uncapped...

Thick luscious chocolate. It smells like warm moist brownies right from the oven then sprinkled with a bit of espresso. Bitter dark Belgian chocolate can be detected as well. Not too sweet, just pure chocolate indulgence. The booze can be detected a bit as the brew warms. Just a hint of burnt raisin as well in the end. Unbelievable aromatic. I can't take my face out of the glass long enough to give it a taste.

Initially this brew drops a welcomed ton of sweet milk chocolate on you, like drinking a glass of straight Hershey's Syrup, but it quickly levels out before becoming sickeningly sweet. The bitterness of more earthy dark baking cocoa comes out and really serves as the vocal point of this beer. Semi-sweet but still bitter and deep. Like a warm dark brownie smothered in creamy, sweet chocolate ganache. I can't imagine a beer being any more chocolaty. Sorry all you other brewers out there, I don't think it can be done.

Thick, syrupy and decadent. Lower carbonation makes for and even creamier, heavier mouthfeel with a hint of warmth that increases as the brew warms. Do yourself a huge favor and do not consume this one right from the fridge; let it sit and come up to about 50 degrees before you pour. The slick and creamy nature as well as so much of the flavor of the brew will be lost if you don't.

Well Southern Tier has now dominated two of my favorite secondary flavorings for beer. Every other Pumpkin (thanks to ST Imperial Pumking), and now every chocolate beer I try just seems inadequate. Southern Tier you are a a blessing as well as a curse. Ok, maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic but I just hope they don't decide to make a pizza flavored beer or I may die of malnourishment.

12-27-2008 03:22:08 | More by trafordboy