Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
3.65/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Fresh, 2008 ST Choklat poured from a 22oz. bomber into a snifter.

A- Black and dull. Very little head, if any.

S- Pure chocolate! Reminds me of the days when I used to drink chocolate milk for lunch everyday. Oh how simple life used to be... Not much else to note here.

T- Upon first taste, I thought I was in heaven. As I kept drinking, the back end of my palate was bombarded with bitter chocolate and would not go away...completely ruined the experience. Just way too strong to enjoy. I did notice that if I took a five minute break before each sip that the chocolate bitterness played no factor. Only problem, who wants to drink one beer for 5 hours?

M- Just simply too much and unrefined! I wish this beer had more of a smooth, refined finish as some of my favorite milk stouts have. Just felt incomplete.

D- Oh boy, drinking a 22oz. of this became a huge problem. Too much bitterness takes away from the drinkability. Better shared with friends.

Overall, HUGE disappointment. However, I am very encouraged by what I have read in that this beer ages well...and it makes sense. I think that chocolate bitterness will subside overtime allowing this beer to take on a well balanced flavor. I will definitely be reviewing this one in another year or so. This beer has huge potential with time.

rhinos00, Dec 05, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Delicious, decent head, though it was fast retreating.

Smell: Cocoa all the way, with the faintest whiff of alcohol.

Taste and Mouthfeel: I'd been waiting for this beer for a long time and it lived up to the hype as the 'chocolateyist' beer ever. It was delicious, a chocolate beer through and through, and the 11 percent alcohol was only evident in the effect not the taste. My only complaint was a lack of depth, perhaps some nutty flavors or a touch of coffee or roasted barley. But just the element of surprise is now a very difficult feat for me and this one did it, worthy of the title of extreme beer.

Drinkability: Awesome, though it is borderline cloying, and high in alcohol and would be in need of a good pairing, anything that goes with chocolate would do quite nicely.

Stonebreaker, Dec 05, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours the darkest shade of brown with cola-like highlights at the edges. A nice creamy one inch head quickly reduces to a thin film and leaves behind little lacing.

Smells like tootsie rolls with some coffee and alcohol in the background.

Loads of sweet milk chocolate slowly give way to roasty bitterness. Rather one-sided, but that is what I was expecting, a chocolate bomb. The 11% alcohol starts to poke through as it warms, which is a welcome reminder that yes, you are in fact drinking a beer.

The mouthfeel is big and velvety with very little carbonation, like drinking chocolate made with half & half.

Southern Tier sure makes a great dessert stout. This is a wonderful beer that is best enjoyed as a special treat and shared with a good friend. I had a hard time finishing it by myself but intend to grab a couple more to cellar for special occasions.

Morbo, Dec 04, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

A- Blackest of black with a light tan/cream coloured head which dissipates rather quickly to my surprise. Not much lacing left in my tall glass. Zero light penetration. Thickness is obvious and exciting.

S- I'm actually confused here. This is a matter of preference. I love the superbly aromatic warm chocolate aroma with slight alcohol notes and maybe a little bit of coffee, burnt malts as well. I'm confused only because I could see how some drinkers would be offput by the truly impressive, (to say the least) aromas. The room smells like melting hershey's kisses. This may be the most aromatic choco-beverage since the late Dunkachinno.

T- Sweet big chocolate at first, almost like the brew tanks mated with the vats at the Hershey's plant. It would be too much for me until a pleasant bitterness cuts right through. Doesn't completely damp down the cocoa but you taste bitterness comparable to a Bigfoot or an Old Ruffian, but the sweetness and bitterness dance with each other until a warming of alcohol and velvety/viscous/chewy/whatever the word is-goodness, in the finish. Interesting. This flavor has more depth than the holes in our economy.

M- I'll keep this simple. Although thick and velvety with little carbonation, this is the only beer with this much chocolate that I can say I really do enjoy. I've had less-chocolatey beers in the past that were way too chocolatey...get it?

D- There aren't many people I know who could finish an entire 22oz as I plan to do this evening.

However, as strong and thick and sweet as it is, for these same reasons I truly believe this would make a great conversion beer for fans of Guiness. Share 6oz of this with your friend who is willing to be adventerous, and perhaps in a year or two he'll be sending you text messages about an obscure new dry Irish you haven't found yet on your local shelf.

Southern Tier and Dogfish Head should have a celebrity death match.

Experimentacious, Dec 04, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -31.1%

22oz bottle

Pours an inky black color with a small brown head. Nose of pure chocolate Tootsie Roll pops, not much else either. Its very impressive how aromatic ST got the chocolate character to be. Thick, dark bitter chocolate invades the tongue, initially this beer is very nice, creamy and semisweet, however, mid to late palate a huge bitter wave packing lots of alcohol heat totally catches you by surprise. Ive never seen a better bitter beer face on a few of my friends. The aftertaste of burnt chocolate malt lingers for quite a while. Full bodied, slightly coating, id had enough after my 4oz. serving.

ATPete, Dec 04, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Finally. Been holding this one for awhile. Don't know what vintage it is. I'm gonna drink one with silver screen printing but I have one with silver, gold, and white screen printing (thanks to Kadonny). Anyway, time to drink.

Pours black with cola highlights. Like your mom's hair. Soft tan head kicks it for a minute.

Ridiculously rich chocolate aroma. Smells like M&Ms. I bet if you did a blind sniff test, you wouldn't know the difference between Choklat and M&Ms.

Taste is WOW! This tastes good. HUGE bite o'chocolate. The dark and the milk chocolate in an eternal struggle for control of the palate, no quarter asked, none given. Way, way, way at the back, the alcohol tries to remind me that this is not a little girl's beer.

The flavor is rather one-dimensional (all chocolate - just differing shades), but I forgive it because it is one damn fine tasting beer. Besides, I didn't pick up a bottle of Coconut Rum, Banana Clove Beer, or Pepperoni Pizza Beer. I picked up a bottle of Choklat. Expect something else and you are a moron.

The label does not lie, as some do, and I respect that. This is like a melted hershey bar with just the right amount of alcohol. And by just the right amount I mean 11% bitches!!!! Time to move on. I hope I made my point: Choklat tastes like chocolate (and very friggin good at that).

The feel is, of course, wonderful. I have gained tremendous respect lately for Southern Tier. Great beers!! Now I wouldn't drink this every day (because I don't have access) but it is an absolute treat. A very generous 11% makes this beer near perfect. I understand some people like 5%, but those people need to understand that some of us, namely me, like 11%!!!

So in judging this beer I'm supposed to imagine the brewers intentions. Well, this dude named his beer Choklat and printed "a stout brewed with chocolate" right on the bottle. We should all pray that every brewer comes this close to their intentions. This beer is a masterpiece.

Let's just say you're having a shitty day. Then you drink one of these. Shitty day all gone bye-bye.

Overall: this one has it all, near perfection

PatronWizard, Dec 02, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up this bomber from Binny's Lakeview in Chicago, IL.

A: Pours dark black with a thin tan head that reduces to just a rim around the glass. Little lacing.

S: WOW CHOCOLATE. Smells like I'm sniffing someone making a cake or something. Smells of dark chocolate, roast and alcohol.

T: Just like the smell, which makes this delicious. Tons of chocolate...milk chocolate, but it has a bitter dark chocolate/roasty finish. Picked up a slight hazelnut chocolate in there at first. Alcohol gets easier to pick up the warmer it gets.

M: Super creamy, which is surprising because I thought it looked thin when poured. Less than average carbonation.

D: Drinkablility is pretty high because the alcohol is hard to pick up, but the thick chocolate flavor would keep me from taking too much of this in. A huge chocolate lover would probably never put this down.

I think this may be the chocolate beer I've been looking for in my searching. Simply amazing beer.

dukedevil0, Dec 02, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours out dark, with some red and amber hues around the edges. Has a big fluffy brown head with some lacing and a bit of bubbles last throughout. The smell is pure chocolate and alcohol, it's nice and sweet, but you wouldn't guess that it was beer just by the smell alone. The taste matches the smell perfectly, like creamy chocolate mixed with alcohol, pleasant and enjoyable, but personally, I would like to have a bit more of the bitter roasted or more complex tastes in an imperial stout. The mouthfeel is perfectly smooth and creamy, not harsh at all. And it drinks very easily, for the style at least. I found this very pleasant, not an everyday imperial stout (I think I could drink some type of impy every day) but one that's worth purchasing and probably worth revisiting.

Edit: If this beer had a distinct style, for something like flavored stouts like chocolate etc. then it would have much higher marks.

taylorhamrick, Dec 01, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

opaque. nice head. creamy dark chocolate. some lace. head dissipates as expected. smell is quicks chocolate powder... not much else. not really chocolate as much as carob... some malt in there somewhere. taste is that too... smooth but not clean. tastes too chocolate without a milkiness for a stout. not bitter chocolate either. nice density but not a balanced palette. must say that it hides the alcohol fantastically. but it may be my preoccupation with that incomplete cocoa in the malt. nice density but that's all the stout has going for it. shit taste really fake in the end. don't think you can drink this as anything but a nightcap.

rtepiak, Nov 29, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Black stuff. Small head leads to ring. Small bubbled thin lacing.

S - In grade school, I would buy chocolate milk at lunch. EXACT same smell. Awesome and comforting.

T - Taste follows smell, along with malt backbone and some bittering at finish.

M - Great coating, good carb, good balance.

D - May I have another?

srandycarter, Nov 28, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

My last bottle from the 2007 release which has remained nestled away in my cellar for safe keeping.

A - Dark chocolate brown with a mocha tan head that formed after pouring into a snifter glass.

S - It's all about the Chocolate and is consistent with most of the Southern Tier offerings that make you forget you are actually looking at and drinking a beer. Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.

T - Follows the nose and again you have to remind yourself that you are drinking a beer and not simply drinking a glass of Hershey's chocolate syrup. I had an interesting debate with a friend when drinking this. He said that he would have been more impressed if the chocolate came through on the lines of Brooklyn which produces the flavor without adding actual chocolate to the beer. My friend said that he was less than impressed with a beer that simply dumps copious amounts of chocolate into it during the brewing process. I somewhat understand what he is saying here, but still, you can't get past the absoulte joy you have in drinking this beer.

M - Good, proper amount of carbonation makes this an enjoyable mouthfeel.

D - Again, if you like chocolate, you will love it. I am not sure that you can drink much more beyond splitting this with someone.

A really good beer and still my favorite of the chocolate infused beers. I will buy this again soon and look forward to drinking it again this year.

Beerisheaven, Nov 26, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from the bottle a deep dark black with one finger of mocha head.

Aroma of chocolate milk, red berries, and vanilla.

The taste is chocolate milk, vanilla, and roasted malts. The alcohol and a hoppy bitterness peek through just slightly.

Mouthfeel is thinner than expected, but smooth. Carbonation is light.

A damn nice Impy stout from Southern Tier. The only weakness IMO is the thin mouthfeel.

Monkeyknife, Nov 24, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

On draft at the South Philadelphia Taproom.

Pours a dark cocoa color with light brown-colored foam head. Aroma ofcourse is dominated by sweet chocolate and candi sugar. This beer kind of smells like a tootsie roll. Very well balanced, being sweet and very malty at the same time. Lots of choclate and roasted maltiness but not very bitter.

corby112, Nov 20, 2008

Poured an opaque black color with a medium sized, tan head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of milk chocolate (tootsie roll), roasted malts, tobacco, floral amarillo hops, and a bit of caramel. Taste was all milk chocolate as well, faint tobacco, some smoke, and finishing with some more hops, and a touch of alcohol. I'd recommend this with a bowl of assorted chocolate truffles.

egajdzis, Nov 09, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a dark brown with faint shades of ruby when held to light and has a thin tan head. Fantastic nose has lots of dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, ripe fruits and rich malts. Like fudge brownies in a glass. The taste was not quite as impressive, but still good. Bitter-sweet chcolate, roasty malts, molasses, licorice, anise and subtle hops. The body was a thick and chewy, well carbonated.

rye726, Nov 03, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was fortunate enough to find one bottle available of this @ Cardoza's in Fall River back in August. Poured from a 22oz bottle into Southern Tier tulip. Very tiny head disappears almost instantly. Smell is absolutelty fantastic! Hershey's chocolate syrup & powdered cocoa come to mind. Taste is sensational chocolate and loads of it. Roasted malt, a touch of alcohol and a good hop balance at the end round out this fantastic beer. Mouthfeel is also sensational. Mild sweetness & good carbonation are the key to an impressive mouthfeel. I gave Drinkibility a 4.5. For a beer that is 11% ABV it is clearly well hidden. I would most likely stop at one bomber simply because of the ABV. I really liked the creme brulee but this beer is in a league of it's own.
Another tremendous beer from Southern Tier once again .

ABHatter, Nov 01, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle thats been sitting in the basement for a while poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- black body under a finger of coffee colored head. decent lacing. cant ask for much more.

S- loads of dark chocolate, as one would expect. some roasted malts too.

T- strong taste of bakers chocolate. stronger than any other beer ive encountered. a hint of booze, and a decent hop presence at the end as well.

M- smooth thick and creamy.

D- pretty easy to finish the bottle after sharing a few sips with others. doubt id want to finish another given the ABV.

oddly enough, time in the cellar has almost made this one's tastes separate instead of blend together, if that makes sense to anyone but me. the booze is more pronounced, the chocolate is starting to fade etc. its been less than a year, and i think this one is better fresh. drink it now if you have them, or wait until the next batch is released and try it then if you dont. still an interesting beer that gives you exactly what youd expect.

jwinship83, Oct 28, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours inky black, frothy head. Nose- waves of chocolate, mix of mikly powdered chocolate smell and minor roasty notes. Taste- chocolate velvet, not in sickeningly sweet way either; chocolate is very present in a creamy choco shake kind of way. some caramel and vanilla- crazy drinkable for 11%! Mouthfeel is good- not too heavy and carbonation is mild. 1000% better than its creme brule cousin

oakbluff, Oct 27, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Batch 01.

A post-dusk sky that is dark but not colourless. The beer is indeed quite black and quite opaque, but not insistently so as to not allow any highlighting. Brief dashes of maroon show the beer is far from listless. The initially bountiful head slowly dissipates but an impressive capping persists as does a tan outline rather accented for a beer of this strength.

The aroma establishes one thing first and foremost and that is that this beer - and its name - is being straightforward. This is chocolate. We could debate between whether it smells more like chocolate fondue or hot fudge or perhaps even just plain old bitter cocoa beans but it does not matter. This smell is stunning, it is radiant, it is superb. I have already bit in hook, line and sinker and made sure it is firmly fixed in and hitched to my mouth.

First taste will make that line firm - that hook is anchored in and it will not be going anywhere until all 650ml of this stout has disappeared. This is not the 'impression' of chocolate that you'd find in Russian Imperials or other stouts - this simply IS chocolate. You can nevermind notes of coffee, or vanilla, or licorice, or roast malts - this is a massive clump of melted chocolate and it could not taste any better than just the way it does.

A good Swiss chocolate comes to mind, as does a rich Belgian truffle. In smell it is like taking freshly baked chocolate chip cookies from the oven but in taste it is like coating a gooey brownie in chocolate fondue and hot fudge syrup. It is every permeation of chocolate known to man. Most accurately, perhaps, the flavour is that of a very bitter, bitter, bitter and dark, dark, dark cocoa. All this chocolate tastes authentic and exquisite yes, but the bitterness resounds at a tremendous magnitude as result.

And it may very well be too much if the taste should end there - but it doesn't. Flavours linger and by the end some sweetness kicks in. While it seems to go through the motions - from cocoa bean, to baker's block, to bubbly fondue, to rich decadent truffle - nowhere along the way is any of the staggering 11% introduced. Some beers go well with dessert, some may be rich enough to serve as dessert itself. That is certainly true for Choklat, although to call it simply 'a dessert beer' would be shortchanging the brewers.

Southern Tier seem to have one tool in their toolbox - a hammer. Like all their big beers, this is a humongous colossus of flavour and is brewing magnificence! The entire 'Black Water' series (which to date also includes the Oat, the Jah*va, and Creme Brulee) are all tremendous, stunning, damn near erotic beers but this must be my favourite. None of this has been embellished because frankly, it needs no embellishment: this is pure chocolaty decadence.

biegaman, Oct 21, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

2007 vintage

A_Pours a very dark black with a small tan head. Nothing really more to be said other than that.

S_The smell is dominated by a scent of fudge or better yet brownie mix. There is a bit of alcohol as well.

T_Very rich fudge is the best way to describe this. There are hints of espresso and alcohol but rich chocolate dominates here. The aftertaste is bitter chocolate again. Not overly complex but very chocolatey which is what I suppose they are going for.

M_A bit viscous with a light but hard carbonation. Works well here.

D_Very potent chocolate which while nice may be a bit too much for a beer. I am sure a year of sitting has tempered the alcohol somewhat which is a good thing. Decent enough but not my cup of tea.

sleazo, Oct 04, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A= This stout poured a heavy jet black color with cola brown highlights around the edges. There was only the slightest hint of a tan head. Zero lace down the glass.

S= I found the aroma completely dominated by chocolate syrup and alcohol. Granted, those two things smelled pretty good together, but still very one dimensional for a big stout.

T= Much like the smell, the flavors were dominated by the syrupy chocolate notes. Only the slightest hint of roasted malts, and those were not apparent until the aftertaste. Alcohol was present, but not overpowering.

MF= Actually this had a much better feel than I expected. Medium-heavy body, solid yet soft carbonation.

D= Very one dimensional. It is easy to drink this and forget the huge ABV. Not something you will want to drink multiple glasses of however.

spointon, Oct 03, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Holy Chocolate Batman! Deep brown color with a dood size brown head, minimal carbonation. Aroma is dominated by sweet chocolate. Flavor is initially chocolate and then some vanilla and earthy notes. Surprising not as sweet as you would think with as much of a chocolate dominated flavor as this one has. Medium bodied. Very nice IS!

kmeves, Sep 30, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

A- Nice dark brown, almost black beautiful beer with a large big toe width of a tan head. The head looks like a deflating blow up bouncy castle as it settles into the dark liquid.

S- Smells like liquid chocolate syrup, or tootsie roll. The wafting alcohol is also there as well ready to pounce on your smelling senses.

T- That same chocolate syrup smell comes with the taste. Is this a stout with chocolate syrup added to it? Tastes that way. The chocolate taste seems to be a separate entity instead of a part of the beer. The roasted malt character does come through in the end but it is quickly covered by the chocolaty taste again.

M- Feels good in the mouth, like I have said before, dark roasted chocolate milk with carbination added.

D- Easy to drink, should have aged this one. Perhaps it will be better in the longer run.

Wetpaperbag, Sep 30, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to Justin for sharing.

A: Poured into snifter. Completely opaque with a very small dark brown head.

S: Huge aroma of sweet chocolate and vanilla. As its swirled, the nose intensifies. Behind the initial aroma there is some malty sweetness lingering.

T: Sweet chocolate syrup initially. Bitter and sweet chocolate follow, with a hint of vanilla and very slight fruitiness. Bitterness stands up and keeps the malt in check. Very well balanced and dangerously drinkable

M: Big bodied, with low carbonation. Alcohol is hidden well, with very slight warming. I'd never guess the ABV.

D: Fit for a king, maybe 2.

slowhead, Sep 27, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Got this from an LiF with with Joeybeerbelly. Thanks! Poured tonight into my pint glass...

A: Pitch black. The pour at first looks as if this is completely lacking carbonation, but alas a small brown skim of head appears.

S: Hershey's chocolate syrup, bakers chocolate, a little bit of roast and cocoa

T: Pure chocolate up front. Tons of chocolate taste with not much malt or roasted malt backing. Semi-light and not complex. Finish has a definite alcohol that is not pleasant.

Overall, not a bad beer, but not one that I would seek out again. It is too one dimensional and lacking some characteristics a big stout should have in my opinion.

treyrab, Sep 26, 2008