Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,660 | Reviews: 1,491
4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks Rob for sharing!

Appearance: Dark brown/black like burned up gear lube. You have to get aggressive with the pour, this elicits an angry dark mocha brown head.

Smell: I poured this outdoors and nonetheless could smell chocolate goodness from a distance of five feet. Over the glass the chocolate was dense, sweet, rich, outstanding and very inviting.

Taste: Dense, coating layers of dark and semi-dark chocolates with a warming alcohol presence with every sip. There is a very subtle sweetness of milk chocolate trying to surface, but this is predominantly a 70% cocoa bar Choklat, not at all as sweet as the nose would have you believe and definitely not like Hersey's chocolate syrup.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that is creamy and coating.

Drinkability: This is a delicious and very drinkable...sipping...beer but for the fact it's 11% ABV and more than one bomber would be lights out.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

650ml bottle poured into tulip oct24 2010

A near jet black with a two finger light brown head that falls fairly quick and leaves no lace

S smells like Nesquik liquid syrup, this reminds me of my childhood turning white milk too chocolate milk. booze is well hidden but I don't pick up on much other then chocolate

T some faint coffee and caramels add to the massive chocolate blast, I like the flavor not overly complex but hey I do love chocolate and this is exactly that

M fairly creamy and a little sticky, well a lot sticky my mustache hairs are stuck together. no evidence of the booze except me being lightheaded and you can taste this one for a while even without licking my mustache

D quite an easy drinking beer and for the strength it could be a little dangerous. this one's working quite well with the chilly day outside

thanks alpineclimber for this one, I'd like another but would probably be walking sideways. I would like to see how one ages seeing how mellow it is today, try this one if you get the chance

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours an inky black with a creamy mocha coloured head that quickly receded to a thin ring.

Aroma is... well, chocolate, and lots of it. Reminds me alot of Hershey's chocolate syrup with a touch of alcohol.

Not surprising, the taste is also predominantly chocolate and not much else. The roasted malts come out more as it warms a bit. Very sweet with a lingering warming finish.

Full bodied and creamy mouthfeel.

As others have mentioned, if you're not a chocolate person, you probably won't enjoy this too much. Even if you are a chocolate fiend, you'll likely want to share one of these with a few friends, it's way too sweet and rich to finish on your own.

This definitely follows through on being chocolate in a glass; I'm glad I gave this a try, even though it's definitely not something I'd seek out too often.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

650 ml 9.5%

Released in the fall seasonals at the LCBO.

Pours a dark thick black with a fizzy tan foam head, foamy lacing forms.
The nose is very much dark chocolate, also sweet roasted malt, coffee, cocoa.
On the sip we have a smooth drinking, chocolatey stout. Theres almost no trace of alcohol in here. Drinks like a dark chocolate milkshake! Easy to down, but the overpowering of cocoa may be much after the entire bottle. Great mouthfeel, medium bodied and plenty carbonated.
Overall, this seems like a one-off beer, if your'e looking for a chocolate beer; here it is. A great after hours late nite beer or shared as a dessert.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%

22oz. bomber poured into a snifter. Pours an impenetrable black with a tan head that dissipates quickly, no lacing to speak of. The smell is chocolate of course, also alcohol, caramel and vanilla. The flavour is chocolate, booze and some coffee. The carbonation is light and lively. The mouthfeel is thin considering how much sugar is in this. I'd say the drinkability of this is not too high, it is quite sweet and hot.

Again, I much prefer the Black Oak approach of cocoa/bitter chocolate to the sweet Hershey's milk chocolate thing going on here. This is the third "big beer" (Creme Brulee, Unearthly) I've had from Southern Tier and I haven't liked any of them much, I think I will stick with their IPA/2XIPA from here on which are great beers in my opinion.

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

A: poured into a goblet, leaving little head. black lacquer liquid leaves little lacing.

S: Literally smells like chocolate syrup. No exaggeration! Over the top? sure - but I like it

T: very sweet, chocolate of course. Vanilla notes and not really much else. A one trick pony here. But if you want chocolate beer, this is it.

M: quite thick and chewy. carbonation is smooth and ample.

D: Due to the massive sweetness and simple nature of this beer, its not one to drink in quantity. I'd recommend you share this 22oz bottle with a friend.

A great dessert beer.

Before we start this review, you must like Hershey's syrup. Plain and simple. If you do you will absolutely love this beer. If you don't, a sample is probably all you can handle.

Smell - chocolate
Appearance - just like an imperial stout should look
Taste - we've discussed this already - Hershey's chocolate
Mouthfeel - warm, dry, slightly bitter

I'm not going to sit around and drink this by the gallon. It's very rich. But damn it's good, I wish I could.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

One of a kind is the thought that comes to mind when I think of this beer. Its in a similar vein to their Creme Brule in that it's taking beer to a new and exotic place.

It pours a jet black with a large cocoa head. The head, rather unfortunately dissipates to nothing - at all. No lacing, no head, no ring.. nothing.

The smell is fairly light considering how strong the taste is. Some light chocolate and biscuity malt is all I noticed.

The taste is huge however. Deep layers of chocolate just roll over the tongue on every sip. Its complicated and its really good. There's layers of richness, taste and body here that just doesn't get old. Sweet, milk chocoatey and bitter all at the same time. Wow.

Mouthfeel is good .. smooth and rich with a light carbonation bite. Drinkability suffers however. There can be too much of a good thing and this beer, similar to the Creme Brule, suffers from an overdose effect. It's just too strong and too much drink the bottle let alone another in a sitting.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Considerably black like a 90% cocoa chocolate bar. Good head that wore down after 10 minutes or so, and became a film/head. Good carbo.

S- All kinds of chocolate. Reminded me first of the Lindor chocolate that I see around at Xmas, and then the shitty easter bunnies that I would get as a kid. However it also had notes of the dark chocolate 85% cocoa or so, which I'll get at a good price. With more intensity I'd give it a 5.

T- Chocolate and some more chocolate. Slightly darker and more bitter than most well known chocolate bars, and far richer as well. My mouth is coated with chocolate, and I've just barely began drinking it. I would put this at around a 60% chocolate bar. It's very rich, but has some milky sweetness as well. I think the name pretty much sums it up.

M- Medium heavy body with a pretty creamy feel to it. Carbonation is good as well. Very slight hints of the ABV. Makes me wonder how well cellaring this would likely go.

D- Extremely drinkable. I almost feel like the 650 is too much though. In a small bottle this would be more managable. I think in the future if I pick this up, I'd share it. Goes down so easy though that I guess sharing would just make this beer go in no time. Something to think about for me. This hit me pretty hard when I reviewed it. I was feeling this one before I realized I was effected.

After having this, I don't feel too ripped off for spending $10 on it. I will probably pick up more. Only thing that bugged me about this beer was the price.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

Name pretty much says it all with all sorts of different takes on chocolate coming through in the nose and the flavor, from tootsie roll to milk chocolate to baker's chocolate. Pretty impressive taste for a beer that would at first glance seem to be one sided. Decent amount of bitterness keeps it from going over the sweetness edge, but still not a beer I would have more than once every so often because it is very sweet and desserty. Still a very fun treat though. Finishes with quite the alcohol kick.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle to a snifter.

A: Pours dark, with dark brown on the edges of the glass. Bubbly and small head, seems thin for a 11% stout but the color is good.

S: Tons of sweet chocolate aromas, alcohol burn, definite barley, bitters of hops, and just an overall sweetness. Smells really great, exactly how you'd expect a chocolate stout to smell.

T: It follow the smell a little, but not all the way, not as complex as I'd hoped but still nice: Milk and Dark Chocolates, lactose sugar, roasted malt, and a bitter finish. Bakers chocolate and barley notes. I can't shake the sensation that it tastes like the milk after eating a cereal like cocoa puffs or cocoa pubbles...Alcohol hidden well in this.

M: Creamy and smooth, partially covers the palate, very elegant feel without much alcohol burn which is surprisingly nice.

D: Can drink this faster than most beers at this ABV, and this is certainly appealing.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pretty much as dark as a beer can and quite viscous out of the bottle. Hardly any head and it fades quickly. Not much lacing either.

S - Hershey bar, molasses, roasted malt, and a little alcohol. Solid.

T - Very much chocolate from start to finish but it transitions well throughout the beer. Starts off as a sweet solo flavor on the palate but mixes with the malt backbone in the middle and gets a creamy texture and fuller body. It finishes with a bit of bitterness from the hops and bitter chocolate used in this brew.

M/D - Just a hair less carbonation than I had expected but the density is right on. Finishes very much sweet with just the slightest bit of bittering. Creamy on the palate and hides the alcohol all too well. Super easy to drink and waaay to easy to go through 2 bottles by oneself!

One of Southern Tier's best, if not numero uno

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Very dark brown in colour and not very clear at all, but has a certain glisten. Poured with very little head that did not last very long.

S- Very nice heavy roasted malts, very reminiscent of dark coffee. Some small hints of vanilla and some molasses are detectable, but the most prominent smell is of the dark chocolate. The chocolate is very sweet and savoury smelling, very delicious.

T- Flavour starts off with a light coffee taste, which blends into a very wonderful velvety chocolate taste. The chocolate is very similar to a Lyndt 80-90% Chocolate bar, sweet yet bitter and tart. After the chocolate the warmth of the alcohol comes through. The flavour is finished off with a strong espresso accented by some vanilla and brown sugar flavours.

D- Wonderful beer. Did not expect so much chocolate flavour in the beer and the smell of the beer is one of the best aroma's of a beer I have ever encountered.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Very dark - black as night - tan head, leaves a nice skim behind.

S: Wow - best chocolate smell by far of any RIS claiming to have chocolate in the beer. It's fabulous. Also some smoke, malt, and a bit of booze

T: Wow - this baby is hot - chocolate comes through well, malt, some smoke in the back. The hotness is a bit distracting though so it can't get higher than a 4 here.

M: Good - not amazing but good. Needs to be a bit thicker but it's good.

D: Could keep sipping this all night. With that said 11% will knock me out quick.

4.01/5  rDev -5.9%

This showed up at the local LCBO and I had to try it. Southern Tier make some good stuff but they also sometimes misfire and taste weird (like with the Creme Brulee...) Does this one?

It pours pretty much opaque black with a toasty brown head that dissipates quickly. Not too stunning, but not anemic either.

The smell is HUGE. I mean, jumping out of the glass kind of big. The bittersweetness of cocoa powder, and also the smoother smell of milk chocolate, with raisins, toasted marshmallow, heady alcohol, smooth vanilla caramel and dark malt. Wham. Mmm. Ohhh yeah.

The taste is just as rich. You feel like you're at the dessert table with nutty roasted malt and that delicious cocoa, with some more milky chocolate flavours as well, and a bit of spiciness and fruitiness coming from the alcohol and hops. I found that it had a bit of that cloying character from the Creme Brulee, almost like chocolate syrup, which wasn't great.

The mouthfeel is reasonably heavy in body, creamy smooth and somewhat syrupy, but not motor-oil thick or sticky. It feels like dessert. It's actually surprisingly well-built: full of flavour but with enough balanced tart "zing" to keep it from being overwhelming. Hence, the drinkability is quite good for the style... I don't often think of cracking a second bottle of a big Imperial Stout, but it crossed my mind with this one. I may have been glad I didn't, though, because there's a serious and late-arriving alcohol whack to this beer.

This is a pretty good stout that really delivers on its promise of indulgent chocolate. There is, however, something that puts me just a little bit off about it in the taste.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle shared with mrmanning. Part of the LCBO 2010 Autumn Ales release.

Pours pitch black with a mocha tan head and a couple dots of lacing on the tulip. The foam subsides about half way through drinking.

Smell is ridiculously complex. I get milk chocolate, baking sugar, caramel, cream, cocoa powder, slight floral note, dark chocolate, touch of alcohol, and black currants.

Not surprisingly the taste follows the nose with a bittersweet mixture of dark and milk chocolate, Chipits, chocolate syrup, roasted malts, and a prickly hop spiciness with some alcoholic warmth in the throat.

Mouthfeel is lush, milky, at times slick, bitter, and syrupy. This beer just glides across the palate. Despite the smallest trace of heat in the flavour, Choklat drinks well below its weight.

Most chocolate beers benefit from good ratings because they use an ingredient that virtually all of us enjoy. However, Southern Tier deserves credit for loading this with layers of chocolate flavours while still making it drinkable and not overpowering. Underneath the cocoa blast is a solid imperial stout that could shine on its own. Overall, this is a pure delight to savour on a cold fall evening.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

from notes

A- Black body with a small tan head

S- Sweet chocolate more like chocolate syrup

T- Just like the nose, sweet chocolate but not in the syrup sense, some lightly roasted malts that lack the astringent burnt flavor(a huge positive), very smooth and very clean chocolate flavors

M- A thick beer that coats the mouth allowing the chocolate flavors to really come out. Low to medium carbonation levels.

Overall, a very solid beer that should be enjoyed as a nightcap or with dessert.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

poured from bottle into St Bernardus goblet.

very dark brown, not quite true black, with a thin creamy head that quickly dissipates. no lacing left behind.

mmm, choklat! wow, this is what a rich hot chocolate smells like, yet colder. can't quite explain it but you can smell/taste a cooling sensation at the back end like mint, yet this isn't mint. dark, bitter chocolate with a hint of vanilla. the taste is just as in your face as the smell was and you want it to be. mmm, choklat!

only a medium thickness. you won't find fudge syrup here, but it still coats smoothly. the high abv stays decently hidden.

excellent dessert brew. what can't chocolate go with?

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

One of the first LCBO fall release brews to make it out my way. I've been very pleased with almost everything ST has released so far, so I've certainly been looking forward to this!

Poured into a Duvel chalice. Inky black, with a thin tan head that dissolves into a fine ring. Some lacing when I swirl the brew around.

Nose is rich, milky chocolate, very delectable. Indeed, as other posters have mentioned, chocolate syrup isn't too far off the mark here. Hard to detect anything else, but frankly, I don't care. The chocolate smells that good.

Despite such a sweet-smelling nose (and keeping in mind the super-sweet concoction of their Creme Brulee stout), I was surprised as to how sharp the chocolate was in this brew. Not bitter, mind you, but certainly not milk chocolate. Much more in tune with the Mexican chocolate featured on the label. Big flavor burst here of both the chocolate and some coffee/roasted malts, with delightful warming alcohol to the finish. My mouth is well-coated in bitter chocolatey goodness which lingers for quite some time. A great evening brew for the first frost of the season (in Ontario, anyhow).

Rich and hearty, Choklat has a thick, velvety mouthfeel, with light but detectable carbonation.

Well worth the pickup (and the price - nearly $10 in Ontario). A great stout, neither too bitter nor cloyingly sweet. Certainly a well-made brew, although not one I'd return to regularly. Despite the delicious flavor, I'm having a bit of trouble finishing Choklat because it is so incredibly rich. I'd advise that folks share a bottle after dinner with friends, because one bottle is pretty heavy for one person. Great work by Southern Tier.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This just came to the Control Board in Ontario as a seasonal release. Pours pitch black with creamy (it looks like cream) tan head and a thin ring of lacing around the glass. Head dissipates a bit quickly though. Smells of dark chocolate and roasted malt. Flavour really balances out the sweetness and some bitterness that isn't a huge sugar bombed that I feared this beer would be (similar to Creme Brulee). Very creamy mouthfeel. I would never have guessed this was as big in alcohol if I didn't already know, as it drinks below that.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

You gotta judge a beer for what it is, what's in it, and/or what it's trying to be. Choklat is a stout brewed with a butt-load of chocolate. Chocolate is prominently featured on the label. Stands to reason it will taste largely of chocolate. Rogue's Chocolate Stout is similar - brewed with chocolate with a lot of chocolate in the nose and flavor. Yes, Choklat smells a lot like and tastes a good bit like chocolate milk. But, goddamn!, is it good.

No head really - a little slather of froth 'round the top, and no lacing. Jet black, as expected, but not spectacular to look at otherwise - then again, I've come across maybe a handful of strong stouts that look similar, Old Rasputin on occasion, for one. This element doesn't detract significantly from the overall enjoyment of the beer.

I have to agree with some reviews that suggest this smells and tastes like Hershey's (syrup). Yeah, it's not a scent you generally associate with beer - kind of paints this beer into a corner as far as when or in what situation to drink this. With dessert or as a night cap probably.

First few sips start with a smooth injection of super-rich chocolate, sweet and decadent and heavy on the tongue (not unlike choc. syrup), finishing off with a intravenously sedating jet of alcohol. No burn, just warmth. Chocolate dominates here to the point where roasted or bitter qualities, if present at all, are masked in the flavor or just a bit too subtle. Not a prob - it works well. Later on, the alcohol becomes more present, which shouldn't be a surprise as this happens with a lot of strong beers, but the chocolate (oh yeah, there's chocolate in this beer, by the way) holds firm throughout.

Dessert worthy - by itself or maybe with cheesecake and/or fruit. For the perceived weight in feel, it doesn't sit heavy in the gut, however, this is likely a one-and-out drink. Share a bottle with a friend. Quite tasty and worthy of repeat samplings.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a 22, no date

A - Pours motor oil black with an initially vigorous beige head that quickly fades. What is left laces nicely.

S - Nose is full of bittersweet and dark chocolates, heavily roasted malts, and a sweet and fruity alcohol

T&M - Full bodied and thick. Bittersweet chocolate and cocoa nibs. Sweet, dark fruity esters with raisin and deep roasted malts. Warm in the finish and somewhat sticky and sweet. The light hop bitterness actually matches the bitter notes of the chocolate very nicely.

D - Certainly on the sipper end of things, but lots of nice characteristics, and sweet without being cloying.

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

A - tall dark tan head. A bit more Ted around the edges than I would expect from a chocolate imperial stout.

S - smells of a mix of chocolates. Quick mix mostly though, some expensive truffels, and a Hershey bar tossed on for good luck

T - actially, too much chocolate for me. I can not fault it for that though since that is what this brew is about. Multiple chocolate typemixed together in liquid form, with a mild alcohol finish

M - mild coating and only a slight alcohol burn in the throat.

D - not my bag, only as a potential "dessert wine" type of thing.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Nothing real special here. Looks like a stout. Very dark, almost black. Small light tan head fades pretty quick.

S - Smells of sweet milk chocolate, cocoa powder, bitter dark chocolate, and a touch of alcohol. Pretty amazing.

T - Follows the smell pretty much spot on. All forms of chocolate meshed into one. You get some generic chocolate flavors in the form of cocoa mix, and then you get some of those pure bitter dark chocolate flavors. This is the very definition of a dessert beer. Taste somewhat reminds me of a Young's Double Chocolate on a lot of steroids, with some bitterness added in. This one was excellent.

M - Big and creamy, but smooth and velvety at the same time.

D - Drinkability is awesome for an 11% imperial stout. Alcohol is well hidden. Probably should be a sipper, or that alcohol will hit you like a train.

Notes: If you don't like chocolate, I doubt you'll like this.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

A very opaque black beer, with a creamy looking tan head that is low but dense. It fades to a thin layer without lacing, but compliments the beer nicely.

This beer has a crazy chocolaty aroma, like Hershey's dark only darker. I'm talking Midnight Reverie here. Some nice hop spice compliments this not-so-sweet chocolate. Even some nose-tingling alcohol warmth in this aroma. I know there's a ton of malt in this beer, but there is nothing inherently malty about the aroma.

Bitter yet smooth dark chocolate is the first flavor. Alcohol warmth and hoppy spice contribute to an overall effect of an alcoholic chocolate milkshake. The thick, rich mouthfeel of this big-bodied stout pretty much round out that effect.

Some beers have a chocolaty feel to them. This beer *is* chocolate, the most aptly named beer I've ever had. Not something I could drink a bunch of, and not even something I'd like to have often, but it's a great sipper, and a well done chocolate beer. Hell, if you're going to do it...do it!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company