Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance-Pours a slick black into the glass, a small mocha head rises and recedes and leaves a ring of lace. This beer is blacker than black, one of the blackest stouts I've ever seen.

Aroma-*CHOCOLATE* that pretty much sums it up, there is some minor malt character in the background but it takes a back seat to all that raw chocolate aroma; I love it.

Taste-Chocolate again but not 'quite' as much as the aroma but still a ton of chocolate flavor. There is some dark malt on the backened as well as a *VERY* slight bittering hop preventing everything from becoming to cloying. The chocolate flavor really dominates everything around it though.

Mouthfeel-Great, I'd have liked a little bit more of that silky melted chocolate kind of feel which prevents it from getting a perfect 5 but other than that it's thick, plush and great.

Drinkability-Great, just great; I can hardly wait between the sips as I review this beer; I love drinking it, so I can only say the drinkability is perfect.

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Out of the bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Murky and intimidating. Dark like midnight, gothic dark, evil dark. Beautiful, thick, billowy head.

Smell: Chocolate. Chocolate eclairs, chocolate fondant, chocolate pastry cream. Anything that is chocolate+creamy+sweet. Espresso notes are light, like someone is brewing a stovetop cafe downstairs. Roasty, big and in your face. Did I mention chocolate and tons of it.

Taste: Sweet chocolate cream, big malts and espresso on the finish. The chocolate notes are huge, almost to huge. I feel like I just sucked the filling out of a Krispy Kreme chocolate filled.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full. Like drinking hershey syrup. Big on the start, big on the finish. Leaves a chocolate coating on the mouth that is there until you brush your teeth. Viscous and thick, period.

Drinkability: Ones enough. Its so big and in your face that 4oz's is plenty IMO. more of a digestivo that a beer.

Overall: Great nose and presentation but a little to unbalanced and thick. I've never tasted this much sweet chocolate in a beer and never thought a brew could have so much cocoa character but the novelty wears of quick and gets a little trying.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Thanks to DrDog for this one via trade a while back.

Dispensed from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Emerges pitch black with a substantial, light tan head of about one finger in size. There is tons of lacing around this bitch, which is surprising, given the abv of the beer.

Aroma is purely chocolatey. Chocolate, roasted coffee, and not much else. With a beer being named Choklat, I wouldnt expect much else. Simply sublime.

Wow. A chocolate bar has just been melted into my mouth. Smooth, creamy, chocolatey, rich, and absolutely delicious.

I thought this beer may be too sweet, but as an after dinner treat, this one is perfect. I dont think I would have this as an afternoon beer, but a dessert beer; yes! Loverly.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

This beer poured wonderfully black into a pint glass leaving about a finger's worth of creamy, tan head. The first thing that came to mind as I sniffed it was milk chocolate. It smelled like I had just melted a Hershy bar in a pan.
Taking this beer into my mouth, I was reminded of roasted cocoa or of a 90% cocoa bar. This beer had a slightly sweet malty finish which balanced out the more bitter chocolate flavor.
Overall, I thought this was more of a sipping beer than something you could drink a few pints of. I sure could feel the high alcohol content after I finished the 650 ml bottle.

3.92/5  rDev -8%

Black with a thin brown head that disappears rapidly. Aromas of dark chocolate, cocoa, and mocha ;) Taste is chocolate, chocolate, and .... oh yeah chocolate. Oh wait and some warming alcohol. Oh, and I think a hint of smoked malts. Mouthfeel is a relatively thick but right on stout feel.

I wouldn't call this a very complex beer but it is what it's supposed to be. It's like drinking melted chocolate that's been mixed with alcohol. Not that it isn't good, for chocolate and beer lovers it's a dream come true. In fact I would drink this over some of the chocolate liquors that are made any time. It has fantastic dark chocolate qualities and I suspect would be even more of a dessert on nitro-tap. Certainly something good to try out, though I'm not entirely convinced on the $9 pricepoint it has to be purchased at on this coast.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Very dark, thin caramel colored head.

S - Chocolate, chocolate, with a hint of chocolate.

T - By far the most chocolate I've ever had in a beer. Very rich dark chocolate, especially in the aftertaste.

M - Very smooth and creamy, light carbonation.

D - Seems impossible that this is 11% with how sweet it is. This beer should be served as dessert, it's like drinking chocolate cake that is covered in dark Belgian chocolate.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

grasping at my last brew for the evening. Very excited to try this creation from southern tier

A- Opaque. It's dark as shit. The head drops slowly but surely

S- ugh... dark chocolate (as advertised and coffee). BIG TIME

T- the thick stout you would believe in based on hype. Dark coffee beans coated in chocolate. WOW. This is good

M- cream... carbonation... syrupy flavor... good

D- I can enjoy this as a treat.Very delicious. Be careful in the dark flavor. This is good stuff.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Looks great, opaque and black as night. Nice thick creamy head.
S - As soon as the bottle was opened a strong sweet fudge struck me.
T - Far stronger and sweeter than even the darkest of chocolates. I can only imagine that this beer is made with the sort of machines they have in Willy Wonka that somehow extract the pure essence of chocolate and enhance it far beyond its natural capacities. Chocolatier than chocolate.
M - Fine, nice and thick. It has quite a full body which complements the thickness of the taste.
D - A bit too much chocolate. I split a 750mL bottle with someone and it was enough. A full one would be decadent, like a eating a whole cake: as great as it tastes, it's not a good idea.

Amazing.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from the bomber to the pint glass. Pours black with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Has a nice big light tan head that slowly retreats but sticks around for most of the entire drink. Leaves little to no lacing on the sides of the glass. The smell is mainly chocolate. Kind of a sweet chocolate smell mixed with a hint of dark chocolate. Great smell overall especially if you if you like chocolate. The taste is pretty predictable...chocolate. Sweet, dark, milk chocolate...it's all there. Chocolate dominates this brew and it's pretty well expected. There is a hint of alcohol in the taste but it doesn't take away from anything. I think there is also a small hint of dark fruits in the taste as well. The chocolate also becomes more and more apparent in the aftertaste and leaves with a really sweet taste. Overall it's really drinkable. High ABV but it doesn't matter. A couple of these no problem but it's more of a dessert beer but I could have it whenever. Overall I was a bit let down because of the hype of the amount of chocolate....I was expecting it to be way more chocolately. It still is however and I enjoy it a lot. I will pick it up again no problem. Great brew if you like chocolate.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

22 oz bomber pours a deep black color with a firm and dense mokah colored head. Retention is great, as is the lacing. Excellent looking stout.

Nose is pure, unadulterated dark chocolate, no ifs, ands or buts about it! There is some grainy malts and hints of coffee and oats, but this is chocolate to the max.

Taste is roasty, sweet chocolate malts...no surprise there. What is a surprise is the hop bitterness on the finish and how well hidden the ABV is - no way in hell I would have guessed 11%. Totally a dessert beer, very decadent. Vanilla, Krackel candy bar and creme brulee all make an appearance...who knew such a sweet beer could be so delicious?! It is hard for me to decide between Mokah, Jahva, Choklat and Oat..all very good and a cool concept. I dig.

3.89/5  rDev -8.7%

22 oz. Bottle:

Pours a clear dark brown-ruby ale in the glass. 3 finger beige cap lasts well and laces. Moderate carbonation.

Pungent aroma of cocoa, coffee, roasty malts, light grassyness.

Rich oily mouth feel.

Big malts mingle with coffee-cocoa tastes, nutiness, vanilla, a hint of brandy....long rich finish goes more bitter and roasty.

I thought I'd gotten tired of these types of chocolate or coffee impy stouts (they're done to death) and this one has an annoying synthetic feel to it but it held my attention if for no other reason than it's seductive drinkability.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

thanks to beerman777 for this.

A: Coal black with a thin tan head. Very little lacing.

S: Lots of chocolate, a touch of vanilla bean. Mouth watering.

T: This is a simple concept, executed very well. It's an imperial stout with chocolate, and that's what you get. It's super smooth and lush, not overdone, not underdone. A standout beer. Supposedly this is 11%. Could've fooled me.

M: Smooth and thick.

D: Oh yeah.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just going to have one beer tonight while working on some projects for the job.... Pulled this one out because I knew I wouldn't need to think too hard about it.

Poured at cellar temperature.. 1 finger dark tan head dies quickly leaving only one little drape of lacing... the brew is black but on the pour it looked a little thin.

Nose is artificial chocolate... reminds me alot of the Dremo's Donut stout... chocolate syrup....

Flavor is only minimally better.. tastes like a tootsie roll smells.... milk chocolate and dark battle back and forth with too much sweetness and not enough actual stout flavors to be enjoyable in my mind... lite roastiness is there, but in the background...

The body is a good medium full, yet the carbonation seems too fizzy...

Overall.... I can see how some people would really enjoy this one, but it is very artificial smelling and tasting... okay for sure, but it is going to take me a long time to polish off the bomber and I guess that is what I was looking for tonight.

3.5/3/3.5/3.5/3.5

Edit: Not sure who sent this to me... sorry... It is a year or so old.... it had the silkscreen labels that scrape off easily.

4.76/5  rDev +11.7%

I can imagine this brew is generally a hit-or-miss in terms of producing polarizing personal reaction. I honestly wasn't expecting too much from this one... suffice it to say that I was pleasantly blown away.

Thanks to Bobbby8405 for the hook-up.

A - Average for a stout, perhaps slightly better. Shiny obsidian-black with a very scant head that is quickly reduced to a small ring.

S - The smell is like a very delicious hot chocolate with melted mini marshmallows. Or perhaps like chocolate-covered cherries. Actually, I think it is like the center of a Tootsie Pop.

T - The taste is pure candied deliciousness. This qualifies as one of the most delicious deserts I've ever had. It is like a brewed essence of chocolate M&Ms, Tootsie Rolls, and/or Hershey's Kisses, except worldly and sophisticated. That it doesn't delve into flavors other than superb chocolate is commendable; it is simply chocolate, simply outstanding. The 11% alcohol is literally imperceptible, the flavor is richly sweet but never cloying, and the finish lingers deliciously; this brew is fantastic.

M - The feel is a tad flat and somewhat less than heavy viscosity, especially toward the finish, but it does not detract. It also doesn't enhance, either...

D - If you don't like chocolate, or you can't wrap your mind around the concept of a beer as a dessert, than this isn't for you. If you like sublimely decadent flavor, this is your ticket. This is my ticket, no doubt.

4.64/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours an inky black with maroon highlights when held to the light. A cardboard-colored head about half a finger in height caps this treat. It's small, but has some staying power and would probably remain there all night if I let it. A reverse waterfall of carbonation is visible on the sides, slowly making the climb upward.

Sweet baby chocolate! That's a decadent nose. Light, sweet cocoa powder with an enticing oakiness and some dark fruit flavors. Some mint, even. That's it: this is like an after-dinner Andes mint. Alcohol heat blasts through the nostrils. I'd tell you how it tastes if I could stop taking giant whiffs.

The flavors from the nose follow precisely in the taste. In fact, this is probably the truest nose-to-taste flavors ratio I've ever experienced in a beer. Bittersweet dark fudge and cocoa nibs, with a slight espresso bitterness that grips the sides and back of the tongue. The oakiness of quality red wine and the fruitiness of purple grapes hold court as well. Spicy Chinook and Willamette hops add a pepper bite and balance incredibly with the other flavors here -- this is a BEER.

Carbonation is a little high, but met with a chewy, silky mouthfeel. Satisfyingly full-bodied. Despite what alcohol I could pick up in the nose, I'm tempted to call Southern Tier to make them fix this ABV label. Eleven percent is obscene; I pick up about zero percent. The booze is incredibly well-hidden.

I've chocolate before, and I've had beer before. I've even had chocolate beer before. But NEVER have I experienced such an incredible blending of the flavors of each. Choklat doesn't just combine chocolate and beer; it takes the best characteristics of each and takes them to new heights. Bravo, Southern Tier.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a thick, impenetrable ebony with no highlights when held up to the light. The head rose to about an inch over the beer; it was effervescent and mocha in color. Pretty decent retention, too, it lasted for a few minutes before dissipating.

Though delicious, the aroma needs to be a tiny bit more assertive. I had to go looking for it a bit. Still, chocolate is the main character in this brewski, as it warms it becomes even more prevalent. Not too much else present, but that's not a bad thing as 'Choklat' is the beer's calling card.

The flavor differs from the aroma in that it isn't mainly comprised of chocolate. Although chocolate is again the main character, it has a wonderful supporting cast of dark, roasty malts, some slight hop spiciness/fruitiness in the finish, and just a hint of alcohol, too. The chocolate is there in the form of creamy milk chocolate and dark bitter chocolate melted together to accentuate the already delicious flavor this beer brings to the table. Awesome. My favorite chocolate stout that I've had thus far.

The mouthfeel is pretty spectacular, too. Creamy and thick, just like a melty Hershey's bar, but with a hint of crisp carbonation lightening things up at the last minute. The alcohol is pretty well masked flavor and feel wise, but I'm starting to feel it now.

Overall, this is hands down the best chocolate stout that I've had, even though I've only had a few. Very well done by the folks at Southern Tier; they've blended massive amounts of chocolate flavor into a beer that is not overpowered by chocolate but is accentuated by it. While this beer is very easy to drink, I certainly will not be having another just because of the alcohol content and extreme creaminess of it. Just like having a Hershey's bar, I don't want more than one, but that's certainly not an insult. Overall, a very good beer that you should try at least once.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Wow. Choklat really does taste just like chocolate! DELICIOUS!

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this beer. The aroma is a distinct dark chocolate scent which carries over almost exactly into the flavors. There is a very nice sweet sticky thickness as you drink. This would be amazing with some ice cream or p aired with some other sorts of dessert. Very tasty. I will definitely be drinking this one again soon!

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

This a deceptively drinkable Imperial Stout, one that masks its 11% ABV with the powerfully rich aroma/taste of chocolate.

I've had other Imperial Stouts that have tried this approach and failed miserably.

Not so with Choklat.

A deep black color, typical of the style, hides its real value.
Drinking this was almost secondary to just enjoying the smell of it. Mouthfeel held its own with aroma, delivering deep cocoa and chocolate textures instantly.

I cannot recommend this one enough.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Nearly black, with a touch of burgundy around the edges. A moderate tan head forms on pouring, fading rather quickly to a thin ring.

Smell: Chocolate is the most noticeable, to the surprise of no one. Vanilla beans and a slight oily nuttiness round out the nose.

Taste: Sweet chocolate malt, roasted character is present as well. Chocolate becomes bittersweet midway through, finishing balanced. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Simple, but incredible. I have not had any stout this perfectly chocolatey.

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel, feels lightly carbonated. Slightly syrupy feel afterward, but not bad.

Drinkability: This is an impressive sipper. Not something I would want to drink quickly, but aside from the tastiness of the beer itself, the unique chocolate character provides for niche dessert pairing purposes as well. Where did the alcohol go?

Wow. It's like 11% ABV hiding in malty chocolate milk. I took a second bottle and made stout floats for a few friends and myself. Fantastic.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a deep dark brown with nice deep chestnut highlights, a light and thin dark brown head lingered nicely.

Wow the smell is like a freshly melted Hershey bar. Easily the most chocolaty beer I have tried.

The flavor follows suit very closely, its so thick and chocolaty it feels like it belongs on a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Eventually some like smoke and burnt black patent flavor. A bit of piney hops in the finish balance out the initial milk chocolate sweetness.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with a nice warm and oily finish.

Intense desert beer, a 22oz bottle of this is almost to much, I could finish it over a long slow session, but wouldn't drink it to often. I wish it came in a smaller format. Its good just a little to much chocolate to drink a whole bomber.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance- dark black to brown in color, a pitch dark color with little to no light getting through, thin tan head rapidly fades away

Smell- very strong smell of chocolate literally smells like pure chocolate, i mean this is like and pure chocolate on the nose with slight roasted malts, very good smell one of the best noses you could ever smell on a beer, if you like chocolates smell you will love this could smell this all day

Taste- beautiful flavor of chocolate and bitter roasted malts on the finish, tastes like as if chewing on bittersweet cooking chocolate, retains a good balance of good sweetness and bitterness,

Mouthfeel- heavy thick and full bodied, creamy feel

Drinkability- highly drinkable and dangerously well hidden alcohol, heavy though and definitely a sipper not one you can drink with any speed at all and is so heavy and flavorful you have to really take your time on drinking it, to me by far this breweries best beer and the best chokolat stout I have had by a good margin

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a dark to VERY dark brown, with a big creamy mocha head and tons of fine lace. Just a sexy looking beer.

The aroma is rich bittersweet chocolate and chocolate syrup with cherry cordial drizzled over coffee ice-cream. With warmth the coffee/chocolate turns to kalua, but there is no mistake that chocolate is the star of the show.

My Dogfish Head snifter was delighted to host all that chocolate, and as the alcohol came out with warmth, malt bitterness carried the experience toward milk chocolate. Ultimately the malt flavors and bitterness return in the finish.

This offering is full bodied and creamy with just enough carbonation to keep hold it back from a syrupy mess. What starts as warm alcohol actually settles down quickly allowing a kaleidoscope of experiences. Very well done indeed.

Southern Tier has become tightly associated with these desert beers that seem to stray from the conventional beer flavors. For some this quality becomes fodder for a put-down, but for me they are a different category to explore, and we are better for the diversity of experience. One glass per night, rotated with other options, this is a great beer.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

From: Pub Italia, 22oz
Note: Bottle says 11%, label (from bar) says 9%

G: Pint

A: Pitch black body sporting an inch of mocha head. Good retention and moderate lacing.

S: Chocolate. And lots of it. Bitter chocolate mixed perfectly with caramel/molasses. Smells like tootsies rolls as a peer said.

T: The taste is magnificent. Following the aromas, bitter chocolate was huge and well mixed with caramel. It also finishes with a good amount of hops. Interesting.

M: Medium-heavy bodied, with medium-low carbonation. I was expecting this to be thicker and the amount of carbonation threw me off a bit. None the less, the combination suited the beer. Leaves a bitter/hoppy aftertaste and only the slightest amount of alcohol is present.

D: Amazing. I would enjoy drinking any of these if I could obtain them at a much lower price. Oh well.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Had on tap at the Bavarian Lodge. I'm not normally a stout drinker, but others recommended I try it anyway, and so I did.

Considering it's not my favorite style, this was an impressive beer. Even before it hit the bar, I could smell the chocolate. The color is typical of this style, of course, very dark with a thick, tannish head that stays well.

Mouthfeel is very thick and rich, and in addition to the chocolate that dominates---and I mean dominates...there is nothing subtle about it--you get some coffee as well. The alcohol content is surprising, given that it's not noticeable in the tasting. It's very well disguised.

I wouldn't want to drink a lot of these--I'm not sure you could, really--but it was an interesting experience, and I wouldn't turn down another.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A - A pitch black body with a small brown head...I was expecting a nicer pour from the nitrogen...decent lacing

S - Only one word comes to mind...chocolate...the aroma is straight milk chocolate with a mild roasted-ness and an underlying hop presence

T - Wow...the flavors work so well together and give this beer a lot of depth...the milk chocolate from the nose is transformed into a dark, bittersweet chocolate flavor...and that's not a bad thing...the chocolate flavor lasts the entire time it's on your palate...the roasted malts add to the boldness of the chocolate flavors...the hops at the end help make the chocolate more bittersweet

M - Medium bodied...nice and creamy, smooth from the nitrogen...the chocolate sticks to your palate

D - This has to be the best chocolate stout...the flavor is literally chocolate...and the 11% ABV is non-existent...although it might be too sweet for some I would have no problem drinking a whole bottle of this...but if you get the chance to have it on nitro...do not pass it up!

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company