Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

3.61/5  rDev -15.3%

Aroma - Bitter chocolate and hops, surprisingly complex. This really turned chocolatey as it warmed.

Appearance - Dark black brown with a quickly dissipating light brown head.

Taste - Bitter hops and chocolate lead to a little roasted malt. A lot of bitter flavors mostly of the chocolate variety. Probably too bitter for my tastes but still decent. There was a warming in my chest half way through the bottle but never really any hints of alcohol on the palate. Again like the nose chocolate came out more as it warmed.

Notes - I started drinking this beer at 51 degrees and found it a little harsh. As it warmed up the chocolate became more prominent and this beer definitely began to shine. I would buy it again but not drink it even as cold as 55 degrees.

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%

2008 bottle. Black pour with a frothy, tan, one-finger white head. Rich milk chocolate aroma with some vanilla, gram cracker, and a faint roast. Heavy cream and cocoa flavor with a touch of molasses, and coffee. Creamy full mouth feel with soft carbonation.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Holy shit! I expected this to be over the top chocolate with the way Southern Tier makes their imperial beers, but this was damn delicious. It tastes exactly like a chocolate bar. Smooth milk chocolate deliciousness. I am picking up no hint of the 11% at all. Glad I got one more glass left from the bomber. This is on par with the Mokah, which I thought the Choklat didn't have a chance to compare to. I'll be ordering a case when it comes to the LCBO this fall. Woo

Got my hands on this one again. Such a delicious beer. So damn amazing. I fucking love this stuff.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a bomber with a Dirty Girl (AJ). This looks like dark chocolate melted into my pint glass. The aroma is a huge chocolaty explosion. I do not see how this chocolate stout could smell any better. The perfect desert! I have never tasted a stronger chocolate presence in a stout ever. Notes of chocolate? Chocolate is the base with notes of coffee. This is a monster desert stout. I love it. The only reason I am not giving it a perfect 5 is because the chocolate is a bit overpowering. It's a solid 4.5. One delicious smooth creamy rich chocolate bomb. Drinkability only loses the .5. For the style it's awesome - almost perfect in my opinion.

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

Received in a trade with BobZ. Poured into my Portsmouth tulip.

Pours a mildly thick dark brown leaving a one finger foamy tan head. Before long this is just a frothy foamy mess at the top...sure looks inviting! Very little light comes through this guy...when held up to the light, just the edges are forgiving.

So I'm in my office tonight and figured I'd get a bit of work done and crack a beer. Typing the review on one screen, knocking out some emails on the other. As I pour this one into my glass, I lean over and start typing up my review. Pretty quickly, I notice the smell of chocolate. I look over at my beer (over two feet away) and realize just how potent this thing might be. I still haven't put my nose into the glass, and I can already tell that I am going to like this.

Ok, this is ridiculous. I can't think of a beer that I have ever had that smells more chocolatey than this one. I've tried several times and quite frankly, can't smell anything other than chocolate...sweet and good.

And it tastes about as chocolatey as it smells. I took a long pull and let it linger around for awhile before swallowing this. Chocolate the whole time...sweet. It wasn't until a bit after swallowing the beer that I was hit with the roastiness. Also, just a bit hot from the 11.0% alcohol. Finally, there was little bit of a bitter chocolate finish. Other than the finish, this beer was sweet! It was a bit thicker than the pour indicated, and well carbonated.

Overall, I was impressed with the Choklat. Not something I could drink too much of as the chocolate would overwhelm me, but still a damn good beer!

Consumed: 04/12/10

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Southern Tier does seem to come full force with their flavor and that can be hit or miss.. I think this one is a huge hit I must say. This is not "a little chocolatey" or something with a hint of chocolate.. this is bigtime chocolate flavor in a glass.

A - Pours a really dark black and looked a little thick which is what i like. not much of a head or lacing but otherwise it looked really good in a tulip glass.

S - This is where this thing takes the cake you can say. Wow when you smell this you get hit with a big blast of chocolate. i couldn't wait to drink this once i smelled it. Reminds me of their pumking as the smell was so great and delicious.

T - Holy crap this thing is a chocolate bar. There is not much else to say. I didn't taste the alcohol at all. I know many people have said this and i totally agree that you don't need to pair this with anything. I also think you could absolutely hate beer but love chocolate and you will be a fan of this beer. I truly enjoyed this beer.

M - take a sip and let it just sit in your mouth and you'll be taken aback at the immense chocolate flavor this leaves behind. Smooth and creamy and chocolate...

D - Okay it is great and i loved it; however, this is not something i would drink often. and i wouldn't even want a whole bomber myself as this is great to share with some friends as it truly is a dessert beer. i will definitely seek this one out again. i think my wife might even like to try this one someday.. this is a definite "A" beer in my book and a great job by southern tier!!

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours jet black with a 1/2 inch tan head. Without a true snifter, my Portsmouth tulip will suffice, and this looks glorious in the glass. Aroma is straight chocolate. Not beer, not coffee, not anything but chocolate. Actually smells more like milk chocolate than dark chocolate; maybe a little bit like homemade chocolate milk.

Taste is to match - chocolatey smooth. Not at all creamy, but the decent carbonation levels keep it from being too syrupy. My primary criticism comes at the end; I guess I should expect it with 11% abv, but this finishes hot. Drinkability suffers when you add that to the 22oz bottle, but maybe that's my fault for drinking the whole thing by myself. This is a perfect dessert beer to share among 2-4 friends. No need to pair it with anything - hate to use the cliche but this really is "dessert in a bottle."

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

WOW!. That is some serious chocolate flavor. Head disappeared almost immediately. No lacing. But other than that this beer is great. I wouldn't want to drink it everyday, but it is an amazing beer. BIG TIME chocolate flavor. You can't taste the alcohol at all. Nice thick mouth feel and goes down smooth as a Hershey Kiss. I am definitely going to pick this one up again if I see it

3.96/5  rDev -7%

Batch 1, I have no idea when it is from but i know it is batch one, received from a friend

A: Dark syrupy black that doesnt allow any light to get through. A very nice mocha colored head sits on top and retains quite well, sitting with about a quarter of an inch for quite some time. Lacing is decent as well

S: It smells like herseys chocolate syrup, just chocolate, not roastiness, just chocolate. A bit too much on the sweet side for me

T: This is a dessert beer for sure, but given the time that it has sit, it has mellowd out quite nicely. The chocolate is the prominent flavor but it is a bit like a chocolate milkshake which is rather pleasant

M: Very nice and creamy feel, like a milkshake. it is nice that the sweetness is not cloying and it is very smooth. No heat is present either.

D: Surprisingly for the abv this one goes down very easy

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to Abecall for sharing

A - Pours dark brown with 2 fingers of cappuccino head. Dissipates fast. Little-moderate carbonation.

S/T - Lots and lots of chocolate, and bittering hops. The richness of the chocolate is just overwhelming, while the bittering hops add support.

M - Full-bodied, well-balanced, and finishes surprisingly dry.

D - Dangerously sessionable. Thinking this beer along with some Marvin Gaye has the unique power of being the APR (automatic panty remover).

4.94/5  rDev +16%

Pours very dark brown, almost black) with orange/amber highlights. First pour had a very short lived small brown cocoa head on it. Second pour stayed around a few seconds longer.

Smells of very strong bittersweet dark chocolate with some molasses, figs and raisins. Some deep roasted notes with a few hints of alcohol.

The flavor, much like the aroma, tasted like very intense bittersweet dark chocolate, figs, raisins, as well as, some roasted coffee beans and hint of licorice. A really creamy mocha flavor. The alcohol is hardly present at all and not much bitterness.

Thick, full bodied and creamy with a little grittiness. A tingly warming sensation. Sticky mouth coating.

A really amazing beer. It should be a sipper, but the lack of alcohol flavor makes this a dangerous beer. Fantastic flavor, rich and robust and great aroma make this one the best Imperial stouts I've had.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

A- nice full bodied appearance. Black with ruby highlights; has the appearance of coffee; quarter inch tan foam, decent retention; limited movement

S- coco, nutmeg, brown sugar, caramel, malted grains (for those of you who have ever had the chocolate beverage Milo by Nestle, it smells exactly like it)

T- this beer takes your mouth on a flavor journey. When it first hits your tongue it tastes sweet, then you get flavors of chocolate. Then when it hits the back of your tongue it becomes bitter. Once swallowed, the aftertaste is similar to the taste left in one's mouth after eating a chocolate covered espresso bean. Not too sweet. Mmmm...

M- small bubbles hit your tongue immediately; not too thick at all

D- delicious! Definitely captures the taste of chocolate. I recommend it for any chocolate lover!

3.42/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from early 2009. Served in a pint-shaped Goose Island taster glass.

A - Pours with a late-rising dime of tan foam that sizzles quickly to a light haze. No ring or lacing on top of a very, very dark brown that is slightly lighter at the fringes.

S - Hershey's chocolate syrup, malted milk balls, chocolate icing. Incredibly sweet, without much else going on. Alcohol is well-hidden I guess. Bonus points for achieving what they set out to do.

T - Taste is less good, with lighter chocolate over top of a pretty bland stout base - not much in the way of roastiness or complementary flavors. Lots of residual dark chocolate and earthy bitterness, and a bit of booze as well.

M - Low carbonation, and a medium, slightly watery, body that seems a little thin for the ABV. I think a little more carbonation might have actually helped. There's also a bit of warmth after a while. Very sticky residual texture.

D - I'm glad I split this bomber with others, as I can feeling my heart rate accelerating. Drinking a whole bomber would probably result in the loss of a limb. I love the chocolate in a Hunahpu's, but this is a one-trick pony here.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Have had numerous times but officially rating a bottle from Malt & Vine.

Pours a nice dark black with good head that lingers.

Aroma is nice dark belgian chocolate/cocoa.

A bit thick and oily, but the amazing chocolate taste with hints of vanilla reminds me of a tootsie roll. Alcohol is hidden well.

Definitely an incredible stout and I'm biased because I love my stouts huge and sweet.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Sprecher nonic. 11% ABV, 27 degrees plato, 195 degrees lovibond, ingredients listed, serve at 48 degrees, serve in a snifter.

Thanks to my cousin Dan for the surprise of bringing this over!

A - Clear on the pour but totally black with a massive tan head. Lower retention could be from the alcohol level but it left thick lace all over the glass.

S - Intoxicating aroma of dry, powdery cocoa and rich milk chocolate. The aroma bursts out in the pour. Almost like a tall glass of Ovaltine. Roasted malts hide behind the chocolate nose. The smell transforms into a bittersweet chocolate.

T - Rich flavor profile full of cocoa nibs and mocha with delicate but powerful bittersweet chocolate. The flavor is very robust and rich. Dry roasted malt bitterness finishes it out.

M - Rich, full-bodied and thick to the point of it being filled with melted chocolate. It starts sweet and soft with a smooth texture and slowly progresses to a balanced bitter, dry finish.

D - Very good but a slow-drinking beer that could pair well with tons of deserts. A bit too rich to be anything more than a sipping beer.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a 22oz'er at 49F into a tulip.

A - Deep black with a moderate amount of mocha cream colored foam that fades fairly quickly. Thinnish lacing.

S - Pure chocolate. Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and just a hint of stout on the nose - malts, a pinch of hops. Definitely a bit of alcohol as well.

T - Very very chocolately. This is definitely a desert sipper. Sweet chocolate dominates at first, fading to bittersweet dark chocalate. Almost too chocolaty IMHO - wish I could sense the stout backbones a bit more. But, definitely can sense the alcohol - it is fairly well hidden in the chocolate taste, but surely is notable in the warmth as you sip. Go slow at 11% and enjoy this one after a fine meal.

M - Full bodied and creamy smooth - little in the way of carbonation, but you can always get a hot chocolate/chocolate syrup sensation as you sip this.

D - Considering the ABV, quite good, although it is almost too sweet by itself. Would surely pair well with chocolate desserts or vanilla ice cream. We split 22oz four ways, and it was definitely enough for us all - your senses just get overloaded with chocolate.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Nice thick pour, very dark brown in color. Head is a lighter tan than I expected, but it lasts longer than I expected too. Nice, very inviting.

I could talk about the various stuff it smells like, comparing it to this dessert or that brew...waxing poetic about the feelings it invokes. Or I could tell you it smells like chocolate.
If I was blindfolded I'd tell you it WAS chocolate. If you told me I was wrong I'd tell you to fuck off and leave the chocolate when you go.

I am happy that the flavor is both chocolate and stout instead of just the former...It is the first big Southern Tier brew that i didn't think was extremely "hot" which is another plus. there's even a bit of bitterness that provides a tiny bit of balance to the ample malt and other sugars here. I tell myself it's bittersweet chocolate. Oh, yeah - sweet. It is, very. this is a bottle I share with a friend. Tasty beer, but too much of a good thing.

Surprisingly with all that sweetness and richness of flavor, the mouth is a little thin. If I'm being honest I think it's appropriate for the style but regardless the mouthfeel is short of the huge thick chocolate dessert image that the flavor and aroma bring to mind.

I don't really sip this beer...but don't really have the urge to have it that often either. A rare win for me among the big Southern Tier beers, but all of them are at least decent and this is something i'd be happy to visit again.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A- black with a thin cappuccino colored head. Awesome lacing

S- holy wow, its chocolate. Smells like a bottle of chocolate syrup...absolutely amazing.

T- chocolate malt, and the bitterness sneaks in as its going down your throat. Its like drinking a carbonated, alcoholic chocolate milk

M- nice and thick, like a good imperial should be. The texture is almost syrupy...not that thats a bad thing.

D- its a little rich. Regardless, its quite tasty. This is a damn good beer, and I'll definitely be getting more of it in the future

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Presentation: Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass in parts. Label says this is brewed with Belgian bitterweet chocolate.

Appearance: Opaque black with some dark ruby brown edges. Pours a one finger beige head with very little retention. Receds quickly into a thin lacing around the edge.

Aroma: Rich cocoa bean notes hit first, but they are not bitter. There actually is lingering sweetness throughout the aroma. Some underlying caramel notes also make their way through. Overall impression of the aroma is just a powerful chocolate profile with sweet undertones.

Taste: Dark chocolate and cocoa bean notes dominate the palate upfront. Chocolate bitterness soon moves on the palate and is complimented by some bitter hop notes. Slighty bitter, but surprisingly clean finish. Very well balanced between sweetness and bitterness. The ABV also does not stand out or detract from the beer.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied feel overall. Smooth and creamy with a nice bite from carbonation on the back end.

Drinkability: With the ABV not standing out, and the flavors being well balanced, I find this incredicly drinkable for a stout of this strength. Still definitely a sipper.

Overall, a really impressive and flavorful chocolate stout. Definitely the best chocolate stout I have had and one of Southern Tier's best. Just incredibly rich and complex well maintaining nice balance. A nice desert beer as well.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

A: An incredibly dark brown, pretty much opaque black. A frothy tan head tops this bad boy, with great lacing.

S: Really incredible mix of chocolate and sweet malt, with a little booze in there too, phenomenal, if you are a chocolate lover.

T: Probably one of the tastiest beers I have ever had. Enormous chocolate flavor. Very much like a chocolate malt shake. There is a little boozy kick at the end, but then just covered up with more sweet chocolate.

M: Incredibly smooth and frothy texture, alcohol masked incredibly well.

D: Can't believe this is 11% ABV. Should sip on it, but so good you won't be able to.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

It looks like any other imperial stout. Dark, thick body, small tan head.

Very good initial chocolate aroma, then as it warms I'm not as impressed, I think the aroma starts to decouple and weaken considerably.

At first, it tastes like pure chocolate. Then as it warms you come to the realization that this is a pretty hoppy beer....the hop bitterness builds and builds, analogous to chile peppers in Mexican food. Actually not all that sweet - it yields more of a perception of sweetness than actual sweetness. Bitter chocolate comes through again big-time on the aftertaste. Not as one-note a beer as it may seem, it's got some complexity.

Feel is not as lush as I would like it. I want some more creaminess out of this.

It is more drinkable than I thought it would be.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this a few times, first official review...

A: Perfect! Perfectly pitch black with a 1-inch mocha colored head that fades at a decent pace.

S: Holy S**t! Heavy chocolate upfront totally engulfs the palate. Not much else in the scent. If you like chocolate, then you will love this.

T: Follow suit with the scent. Heavy chocolate upfront with hops in the middle. Oakiness at the backend. Very good and unique.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation and taste left on the palate!

D: Goes down decent. Bitter chocolate and booziness makes this one go down decent, but not perfect.

All in all, this is a great brew. If you like chocolate, this is like if Hershey's created a beer. However, it also has a decent hop bitterness. I think this brew can appeal to most people. Worth hunting down and trying at least once.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a dark almost black color with a thin mocha head, some lacing lingers but not a lot.

S - Chocolate sweetness roasted malts, possibly hint of vanilla bean.

T - Almost hits you like milk chocolate but has a bitter, but not too bitter finish.

M - Slight carbination, silky chocolate mouthfeel with lingering bitterness

D - Very drinkable, almost like desert in a glass. Maybe next time I'll try it with some vanilla ice cream.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Had this on tap luckily at the Blue Tusk in Syracuse. Served in a tulip glass. A nice black body with a tan head that doesn't last for long. Some moderate lacing. Smell was a roasted chocolate and caramel. Most definitely the strongest chocolate taste I've ever had in a stout. The name does not lie. The alcohol is only slightly apparent in the taste - but for 11% it's nothing over the top. Not as thick in the mouthfeel as I was expecting.

Overall Choklat is the most enjoyable beer I've had from Southern Tier. I would definitely look for this again...and again.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark brown it little carbonation eivdent, and about 2 inches of tan head.

s - Smells of sweet, rich chocolate. Also smells of roasted malts, vanilla, and maybe a little coffee.

t - Taste is also dominated by rich chocolate. Some roasted malts and hints of vanilla as well. Very nice.

m - Smooth and creamy. Full body with light carbonation. Great feel.

d - I thought this was a great stout. This is one of my favorite ST beers and one of my favorite stouts. Smells and tastes of rich chocolate, this is a great dessert beer. Will definitely have again.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company