Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ChoklatChoklat

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
rhoadsrage

3.58/5  rDev -15.8%

(Served in a snifter)

A- A jet black body has a few tiny bubbles stuck to the glass but that is all I can see of carbonation. There is a thick film of tan head that leaves a nice bit of broken lace stuck to the glass after each sip.

S- The big chocolate nougat flavor has a light marshmallow quality and a strong smell of Hershey's chocolate syrup in the finish.

T- The taste of tootsie rolls and chewy chocolate nougat has some lighter flavors of roasted black malt for support. The bitterness of black grain lingers a bit after each sip. No fusel alcohol at all until the last few warm sips.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat until it warms a bit and then it is a pleasant soft burn.

D- This beer is not overly sweet but it is overly chocolate candy flavored, and not real milk or dark chocolate just chocolate candy. The first glass was novel but the second glass was hard to get through. There isn't much malt supporting the tootsie roll flavor. The beer underneath has some nice flavors.

01-26-2008 03:05:56 | More by rhoadsrage
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

22oz bomber served at 45 degrees and poured into a Snifter Glass

A – Poured the thickest darkest brown chocolate syrup looking liquid I think I ever have seen. I mean this stuff looked serious. Almost had the consistency of chocolate syrup on the pour, but with a much darker color. A large three finger high head of rich tan colored lace then rose up and above it crowning the top wonderfully. This hung around for easily a few minutes before finally settling down and easing into just a thin layer of chocolate colored foam across the top which hung around until the very end. The side glass lace on this one was extraordinary as well, really coating the inside of the glass and doing on number on it throughout the entire session. Really quite a thick looking stout, I was definitely liking what I am seeing so far.

S – I will give you one guess as to where this was going with regards to the aroma. Deep rich milk chocolate covered this one entirely. Now I have had a few chocolate stouts in my day, but nothing came even remotely close to mimicking the smell coming off of this one. It was like something straight out of Hershey. Not the deep dark chocolate malt smell you are used to, this was rich creamy milk chocolate and the difference was never clearer then it was here. There was also a touch of bourbon like alcohol that you could pick up way in the back that was also making its presence known. This was not such a big player, but was more just giving you a little hint at some of the depth that was lying in waiting here.

T – I am not sure where to begin on this one. I have never tasted something that was more designed to be not only drank while eating dessert, but more to a be a dessert in of itself. This was just the most rich and creamy chocolate drink I think I have ever had. Really hard to quantify this as a beer from the flavor, it has almost no semblance of a beer like flavor. Such rich milk chocolate tastes that it was really hard to even find anything else that was hiding in the back, but if you really tried you could find it. First off this baby is over 11% ABV, and it has to be the smoothest I have ever seen for something so big. There was really no hint of the alcohol in the flavor at all; rather it was just a touch of bourbon or brandy like warmth that came through as you sipping. There was a touch of hops in the finish, just enough to dry it out and give you just a touch of bitter at the end. Overall though this was chocolates day to rule the roost and nothing was going to be its undoing in the one.

M – One of the smoothest, creamiest brews I have ever had the pleasure of trying. The consistency here was as smooth as silk, literally with a rich texture that was so thick and viscous, it almost redefined the style. There was just this mousse like quality to it that cannot be ignored. It was just a wonderful interpretation of the style and a really phenomenal beer.

D – This is the only category that gets a little tricky for me. Now…it is definitely a quality beer there is no disputing that, and for a late night sipper, it would be hard to find its equal. However there was a limit on this one as to how much you can actually sip. First off it is very strong, you may not think it is, but it is and it will catch up to you. Secondly there was the fact that it was so rich. After about the third glass I had reached my limit. It is so sweet that it is difficult to try and have much more, too sweet. But this should not be a knock as I probably just had them a little too fast.

Overall I don’t know what else I can say about this one. It was truly unique and unlike any that I had had previous. Truly a chocolate stout that all others should be measured by. This was definitely deserving of its reputation and is a fine example of the style. A wonderful beer that everyone should get a chance to try.

01-24-2008 11:24:15 | More by mikesgroove
BeerBelcher

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Up to now I've thought of Southern Tier as a "light beer" brewer, by which I mean I think of them as a brewer of good APA/IPA and the like. There are other brewers I think of as good "dark beer" brewers (like Bell's for instance) and there are others I think of as good Belgian beer brewers (Ommegang, etc). It's not often you find a brewer that can pull off 2 or more of these categories well. This beer challenges that notion in my mind; I really liked Choklat.

The funny thing about this beer was that it did not strike me as being exceptionally beer like in flavor and aroma. It really reminded me of a really good dessert or the world's best glass of chocolate milk. It's tough to describe this beer in flavor/aroma terms I'm used to using; it was really chocolate-y and creamy. Appearance was an opaque black with a tan head. Mouthfeel was quite smooth and also was rather creamy and pleasant.

I really liked this beer. I picked up this 22oz bottle from Three Cellars in Franklin, WI.

01-24-2008 03:24:37 | More by BeerBelcher
Overlord

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a dark, dark brown with a tan head that cascades and rapidly vanishes.

Smells like chocolate and faintly of malt. Taste is sublime; rich roasted chocolate, milk chocolate, a bitter chocolate aftertaste, and roasted malt with a bit of smokiness. There's not much else going on with this beer, but there doesn't need to be. Nice thick, viscuous mouthfeel.

Great.

01-23-2008 05:44:16 | More by Overlord
kmo1030

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

this beer a very dark brown, with not too much a of a head, and what is there, doesn't stick around for long.
the aroma is well, quality dark chocolate. tiny hints of dark fruit here and there, along with a faint grainyness, but chocolate dominates.
phew... this is like downing rich liquid chocolate cake. it's got this amazing fudgy cake-y quality that's just fantastic. i personally didn't take anything else away flavor-wise, but if this isn't a chocolate stout i don't know what is... the funny thing about it is that it's not overpowering, it maintains some sort of chocolatey balance, with what i'm not sure, but it keeps itself in check very well.
it's full bodied with adequate carbonation, enough to keep it from being syrupy.
a beautiful beer that drinks like you wouldn't believe for such a hefty stout. i highly encourage you to try this in any form you can find it. i actually passed this up in a bottle recently, but on a whim gave it a shot when i saw it on tap, and i was blown away.

01-23-2008 02:14:03 | More by kmo1030
Fish113d

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours the color of motor oil into my tulip glass. A finger-thick bone colored head forms at the top but quickkly dissipates to an oily surface layer with some bubbly edging around my glass.

Aroma reminds me of being at Hershey Chocolate World because the chocolate aroma smells like rich milk chocolate! A slight mocha flavor also comes through on the nose with just a tingle of the alcohol.

A thick, rich body gives way to a very sweet, chocolate flavor that overpowers the entire brew nicely! This reminds me of chocolate milk really it is THAT SMOOTH. A bit of grassy hops comes through toward the finish helping to dry out and get a bit bitter while the alcohol comes through to tingle my tongue for a bit. AFtertaste is still...chocolate!

Great balance to this brew. This is definintely something to share to allow others to enjoy it! Cheers!

01-23-2008 02:08:20 | More by Fish113d
FatheadBrew

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev -39.3%

A: Pours a deep black with some ruby highlights. Foam is almost non-existant

S: Chocolate. Basically thats it. Some malt and alcohol coming through, but not much else

T: I've noticed other people referring to the cheapness of the chocolate taste. It took me a couple of sips to identify it, but finally it came to me. This tastes exactly like a chocolate tootsie roll pop. Kind of a "fake" chocolate taste. Overpowers all else.

M: Low for an IS. Kind of watery.

D: I struggled to get through the whole 22 oz bottle.

Overall, I would say this is my least favorite IS that I have tried. I wouldn't recommend it...unless you love tootsie roll pops.

01-22-2008 03:32:14 | More by FatheadBrew
JDV

2.73/5  rDev -35.8%

Thanks to jjpm74 for the bottle.
Hmm, another disappointment from Southern Tier... From a brewery I have always been excited about trying beers from, I haven't had a single one I would ever get again, from them and this was no different... Pours a rich black, with only slight shades of ruby coming through, and next to no head which didn't last even from a vigorous pour. Smell is very light alcohol and cheap chocolate and an artificial chemical component. Reminds me of the Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer in a bad way... Taste is somewhat rich, fake chocolate again and little else. Moderately balanced bittersweetness with a nice mouthfeel and light carbonation, but when its coming from something that smells like cheap melted hersheys, wax and preservatives, who cares? If you're going to add this much of some outside ingredient aside from the actual brewing process, you ought to make it fresh, or high quality, and I don't get the impression they did that at all here. Drinkable, but I would never recommend this as more than a mere novelty.

01-22-2008 02:24:18 | More by JDV
meatyard

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

On tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA-poured into a small snifter.

Appearance is very dark with a tan head that falls quickly to a covering.

The smell is... Chocolate? A lot of chocolate and it's not easy to find a lot other than that.

The taste is... Chocolate, dark Chocolate and a lot of it.

Mouthfeel is quite smooth, medium to thinnish.

Drinkability is good, even at 11% though I would feel a couple of these very quickly. In draft form I did not notice the alcohol like I did in a bottle, as slight as it was.

This is a very special beer that you must like chocolate to enjoy. I do and did enjoy it. It's fairly one-dimensional though because of the overwhelmingness of the chocolate. This is not your run-of-the-mill RIS, it's a Chocolate Imperial Stout. I would like to see some other characteristics showing through to rate it more highly.

01-21-2008 22:23:36 | More by meatyard
belhav0322

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Black as night with a moderate head and very little lacing.

S- Chocolate liquor right off the bat. Upon warming up, notes of malt and burnt raisins kick in.

T- Well, the name of this beers does not lie. Rich, dark, and bitter chocolate notes give way to some slight marshmallow notes and toasty malts. I was hoping for a little more nuance to show through upon warming up, but it did not happen.

M- Fairly thin for the style. Slight alcoholic warmth, but not enough to balance things out. Perhaps a little syrupy after some time being open.

D- Well, it is darn tasty. Really, it is just a chocolate blast. Though not extremely balanced, it is actually pretty drinkable. I would not think this was 11% alc. of the bottle did not say so. I drank this on its own. Next time would like tom pair it with a dessert containing some tart and bitter fruits. Man, this just begs to be utilized in cooking application. Add to mole sauce? Perhaps some sort of reduction.

Once again, Southern Tier fails to disappoint.

01-21-2008 19:58:56 | More by belhav0322
BattleRoadBrewer

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Served cold into a Boston Lager glass from a 22 oz bomber.

Pours with medium body (for an IS), very low carbonation, decent 3/16" tan, slightly oily head over pitch black.

Aroma is rich, dark chocolate. Not like milk chocolate, but like fine chocolate such as Lindt 70% Cocoa. No noticeable hop or malt aroma.

Flavor is strongly dominated by the chocolate, like a liquid dark chocolate bar. Hint of caramel maybe.

Mouthfeel is light, wished for more carbonation. Bitterness is low and balanced. Alcohol is barely detectable, no undesirable heat or fusels.

Drinkability is great. How did they get a cocoa beer to taste so good? It's like a liquid chocolate bar. And it didn't get alcoholic as it warmed in the glass despite the 11% ABV, terrific.

01-21-2008 05:02:49 | More by BattleRoadBrewer
trumpetego

2.93/5  rDev -31.1%

This beer was recommended to me by a co-worker, so I was very excited when I had the opportunity to try it on tap at The Lower Depths in Boston.
Poured into a 12oz tulip glass, this beer was pitch black with a small off-white head. The head dissipated after a few minutes, but provided nice lacing all the way down.
Smell is of sweet chocolate. Not much else. The tiniest hint of hops is detected in the nose as the beer warms.
Taste is very sweet, intense chocolate. Something like chocolate milk, and (sorry, Southern Tier) about as complex. I didn't get much from this other than chocolate. That's fine if that's all they were going for, but I wish there was something else to this beer. A bit of alchohol? Some hop bitterness? After a while the sweetness gets to be a little overpowering. Too ST's credit, the alchohol is very well hidden. It isn't detectable in the nose or the taste.
Mouthfeel is thick, as a double stout should be.
I didn't find this to be very drinkable. With a tart desert it would be excellent, but on it's own I found it to be a struggle to finish the glass. Although I couldn't smell or taste the 11% alchohol, I could certainly feel it by the time I was done with this beer.

01-21-2008 03:11:16 | More by trumpetego
ejquin

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Black with thin white head. Very little lacing.

S: Heavy chocolate with nice marschino cherry notes. Moilasses sweetness. Brandy and dark chocolate brownies.

T/M: Lots of chocolate. Fades to meaty, chewy center. Slight hop bitterness on finish. Slightly hot as well with nice coco powder aftertaste. Very smooth and slick in the mouth with a slight brandy soaked cherry element as well. Slightly dry and bitter ending.

D: Good

Ovr: I'm generally not a huge fan of stouts where actual chocolate is used in the brewing. To me the end up too one dimensional and cloyingly sweet. This beer to me is the best chocolate brewed stout I've tasted although it still suffers from the sweetness and overly one dimensional qualities I mentioned earler. I'd drink this with dessert, and it would be phenominal with a chocolate souffle.

01-21-2008 02:43:41 | More by ejquin
BlindPig

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%

A- About a 1" light mocha head on a big black body.
S- Wow, just like smelling a Hersey's bar. Tad more coco powder in it but just straight up chocolate.
T- Really strong chocolate with just a tiny hint of alcohol on the tongue. Can really taste the coco powder in it. Almost like a cooled down hot chocolate with a little carbonation.
M- Medium to full body with low carbonation.
D- If you like chocolate this is the beer for you. The only compliant with it is I wish it had a more creamy silk body.

01-21-2008 01:55:28 | More by BlindPig
BKIII

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Take a king sized Hershey's bar, throw in some hops, pour out into a snifter and then wash down with a stick of dynamite!
Southern Tiers Choklat Stout suprised the Hell out of me. I waited and waited before the brew went on, and it was worth the wait.

A - The brew was poured into a 12oz. snifter glass. It was pitch black, thick with a dark, chocolate milk head, that settled and laced as I drank.

S - Put it to your nose, and the scent of what The Land of Chocolate from Homers dream must have smelled like (complete with the edible chocolate dog.) Bitter Brownies with a hint of alcohol.

T - The taste is what you'd expect. A dark, rich, then bitter chocolate stout that bowled over my sweet tooth. Then slyly, the alcohol creeps in and finishes the sip.

M - A smooth mouthfeel, like chocolate syrup. Did coat my entire mouth and lingered after the sip was finished. Slightly syrupy at the end.

D - I had one 12oz, and I could have stood to have another but the higher ABV, and the absolute richness of the drink would have stopped me there. Still an excellent brew thought.

BK

01-21-2008 01:17:02 | More by BKIII
bainard

bottle poured into an orval glass.

A - not quite "black hole" black, but pretty dark. as spinal tap might say, a "pastel black".

S - chocolate. dark dutched chocolate. really, just any permutation of chocolate you can imagine is here. cake, fudge, bar, even powder are all here. mouthwatering, this is.

T - a carbonated chocolate shake. not some foolish mcdonald's shake, either. no way, this is a double-chocolate ice cream with a ton of hershey's syrup sort of shake, with shavings on top. apparently this is 11% abv? i don't believe it, but i feel it a few minutes later...

M - a carbonated chocolate shake, like i said. it's amazing.

D - 11% abv be damned, this is amazing. it's a dream come true for stout and chocolate lovers. my favorite new brew of 2007, with a bullet.

01-20-2008 23:49:51 | More by bainard
number1bum

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

This bomber pours a very dark brown, not a complete jet black, though, that reveals a touch of ruby color when held to the light. Not a huge head...only about one finger of khaki head, and it only retains some lace around the rim of the glass.

The smell is pure chocolate, although it is a very syrupy sort of chocolate aroma, just like Hershey's syrup. Some cocoa powder, too, and I think I sense some dark fruits trying to nose their way through, but the chocolate syrup aroma dominates and it's pretty one dimensional. Some whiffs of booze, too, reminiscent of creme de cocoa or maybe Godiva liqueur.

The flavor has much more complex chocolate characteristics than the smell. This is just oozing with layers of chocolate flavor..bakers chocolate, milk chocolate, chocolate syrup, cocoa powder. And then there is some roasted/burnt malt flavor to balance out the sweetness. Some warming alcohol, also, and like the smell that makes it reminiscent of Godiva liqueur or creme de cocoa. All of that being said it's really tasty, although if it were a tad bit less syrupy tasting it would be a 5. Mouthfeel has a medium to full body and is quite creamy.

This is by far the most chocolaty beer I've ever experienced. It's very tasty, but it's a little too much like Hershey's chocolate syrup to me. If you like chocolaty stouts, though, then this beer is probably heaven. But one bomber is enough for me. I can't believe I'm writing this, but I think it's just too much chocolate (wait, is that possible?). I'm really glad I got to try it, though, and if I saw it on tap I'd definitely order a glass to see how it compares to the bottle.

01-20-2008 22:31:54 | More by number1bum
GbVDave

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a color as black as pitch, like oil sludge. Capping this is a creamy, dark-khaki, 1 1/2 finger head that recedes quickly and as it goes, leaves spotty specks of lace behind.

S: Smells like rich Belgian dark chocolate, chocolate liquor, bakers chocolate, and even a hint of milk chocolate. As it warms we also noticed an incredible whiff of espresso. Unbelievable!

T: See above with dark fruit, blackened malt, bitter hops, hot alcohol, and even more dark roast coffee/espresso.

M: A little on the thin side, but we also found it to be creamy, sticky, coating, and oily. Roasted malts, bitter hops, and the blast of alcohol ensure that the mouthfeel is also quite spicy, bright, and bitter.

D: Strong alcohol flavor coupled with incredibly delicious chocolate cake flavors and aromas...how can you go wrong?

01-20-2008 15:49:57 | More by GbVDave
LeonTrotsky

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Big thanks to mikesgroove and dmeadows for this one, I received a bottle from each of them in my Beer Powerball winnings.

Poured from a bottle into my Darkness tulip (just like most beer I drink).

A: Black with a small creamy head that left minimal lacing.
S: Chocolate! It certainly does smell a lot like chocolate, the bitter dark kind that I like. There was a hint of yummy malt in the background as well.
T: CHOCOLATE! Just like it smells. "Oh man this is good" is what I was thinking every time I took a sip. There is no hint of the 11% it claims on the bottle.
M: Thick but not cloying, it feels pretty good. Also it tastes like chocolate.
D: I was sad to have the bottle end, I could really drink this all night, which with the invisible 11% would not be such a good idea.

This was a very good beer. It makes me sad to think that after I drink the other bottle I have I won't be able to drink anymore. Southern Tier should really start distributing to Minnesota for me.

01-20-2008 15:33:32 | More by LeonTrotsky
Celt44

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Served from a bottle into my DFH Snifter like that last guy...what a coincidence.
Appearance is standard and what I would expect from a chocolate stout - dark full body with a rich, tan, frothy head which doesn't last too long.
Aroma is unmistakenly chocolate. Nestle Quick Chocolate Milk Powder mix comes to mind. Beautiful.
Taste is all chocolate and malts. For over 11%, alcohol is hardly present except for the slight burn.
Mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth - silky smooth.
Overall the BEST Chocolate Stout to pass my lips. Congrats to Southern Tier on another excellent and superior product.

01-20-2008 02:09:10 | More by Celt44
Jwale73

Rhode Island

Served in my DFH snifter. Poured pitch black with some dark brown highlights around the rim when held up to the light; no other light penetration otherwise. Quarter-inch mocha colored head dissipated immediately into an oily film. Virtually no lacing adherence with the exception of a narrow ring around them rim. Scent - Belgian dark chocolate (duh), almost overpoweringly so, with the scent remaining in the nostrils between sips. Taste similar to nose with the presence of malt now detectable. Alcohol was surprisingly well-hidden considering the 11% abv. Silky mouthfeel with a little effervescence making it less chewy than anticipated. Finish left a lingering bitterness in the mouth (hops?) that didn't subside until the next sip. An enjoyable imperial for the most part; however, not being a fan of dark chocolate, I found the experience a little too overwhelming and actually prefer Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout over Southern Tier's Choklat.

01-20-2008 01:44:08 | More by Jwale73
RblWthACoz

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours like midnight with no stars and comes with a tan head. Nose is fully a dark chocolate bar. Flavor is chocolate layered on chocolate. Just mounds of ever piece of dark chocolate you could imagine. Feel is smooth with a full carbonation. As beautiful as it was on the bottle. By far the most firm chocolate stout around. Very nice.

01-19-2008 23:06:57 | More by RblWthACoz
brentk56

4.93/5  rDev +16%

Appearance: Dark chocolate brown with a bubbly tan head that hangs around for about as long as you would expect for a high ABV beer; dots the chalice with lace

Smell: This one smells like rich Belgian chocolate, melted down and streaming into your nostrils

Taste: Opens like an Aztec chocolate, with rich, dark chocolate flavors that are joined, mid-palate, by the subtle bitter influence from the hops, which persists to the very end; after the swallow, the alcohol makes an appearance and adds complexity to the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate to low carbonation; warmth on the finish adds to the hot chocolate aspect

Drinkability: This is one superb brew; it's going to be tough to beat on the chocolate scale

01-19-2008 22:55:04 | More by brentk56
EGledhill

4.93/5  rDev +16%

On tap at D's in Regent Square.

get it while you can, they bought up the last 6 barrels of this sweet gift from the beer gods left in Pittsburgh

A. black with a tan head

S. an unbelievable chocolate aroma...couldn't wait to suck it down

T. not as potent as the smell, but nevertheless, fantastic. chocolate the whole way through. the only beer I've had with a better chocolate taste so far has been Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

M. a little thin, maybe making them a little too easy to drink.

D. supremely good. Stopped at D's to grab a mixed 6 and Probably should've eaten something. they're not kidding when they say 11.0% ABV. Overall one of the best. Simply put, amazing

01-19-2008 21:35:57 | More by EGledhill
Murchmac

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

BOYS, COME IN FROM THE COLD!!! Moms got hot chocolate on the stove.

Pours dark, like the night.

Heavy chocolate nose, penetrating. Some faint smell of the swiss miss sweating liquor out of her pores. Real cocoa smell, like fresh off the cocoa bean. Nutty almost

Tastes like licking every street pole in hershey park. chocolatey goodness drips from this potent potable. Warm alcohol burns down your throat. Lingering aftertaste of nestle hot chocolate lingers. I taste no hops.

Mouthfeel is weak for an RIS. That is what this is right? Little too much carbonation but this would FANTASTIC on nitro. Can we make that happen? Is this really 11% abv, I can only feel it when i'm drunk, after the first three sips.

Overall a good beer. I think Southern Tier is becoming a haute couture brewery. These beers make FFF look like Pabst. I didnt like the Pumking. Recently had the abyss and I would say the abyss is a more enjoyable beer, but this one grabs your attention and beats you the hell up with a sack full of chocolate, not doorknobs or oranges, or cats.

01-18-2008 04:39:53 | More by Murchmac