Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Reviews: 1,498 | Hads: 4,897
4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter:

Pours pitch black with a thin tan head. Looks like an espresso, though the head eventually becomes a patch, then recedes to a thick ring.

Well - the chocolate is assertive alright. Delicious chocolate aroma can be detected easily at the pour - no need to sniff this one to catch the chocolate aromas. However - I sniffed it anyway - a chocolate indulgence was awaiting the first sip...

The taste is of strong bittersweet chocolate. This is enough to satisfy any chocolate lover. Going beyond the chocolate, which, at times did get a bit like chocolate syrup and override any "beer" taste (or else it probably would have ranked a perfect "5" in my book), there is plenty of upfront caramel flavor as well, and it does have an underlying hop presence, but it's hardly noticeable until maybe the end. Rum-soaked chocolate with a caramel flair is really what dominates here, and it is quite potent.

This is rich, creamy and velvety with a potent alcohol kick.

As wonderful as it is, this is a sipper. The chocolate overwhelms, and has the effect of a chocolate with caramel cake soaked in alcohol has a nightcap effect.
Delicious, but...well - my bed is calling...

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to Joe1510

Finally got around to popping this brew... and it's like sucking on a chocolate bar.

Pours an inky black, with a creamy, tan head. Rich and thick.

Aroma is primarily chocolate, dark, dark chocolate. Bitter, roasty edge.

Taste is creamy chocolate, with vanilla and coffee notes. Did I mention the world chocolate, yet? Roasty and malty sweet base, but it finishes clean and dry.

Full bodied with a smooth texture.

Well, it's huge, huge in taste, and incredibly dessert drive, but man, for every dessert? Please?

This must be served as the base for an ice cream float.

Appearance: Dark brown with a hint of red. Not entirely opaque, but close to it. The head is a bit thin, but retains fairly well.

Smell: Sweet and decadent with aromas of chocolate, caramel, cherries and vanilla. The chocolate is syrupy and rich; it's pleasant but slightly excessive.

Taste & mouthfeel: Rich dark chocolate, burnt caramel, roasted malt, vanilla and cream. Semi-dry in the finish with an earthy bitterness and a faint lingering chocolate sweetness that sticks to the roof of the mouth. Medium-to-full in body.

Notes: Good, but not as good as I was expecting. Rogue's Chocolate Stout still reigns in this category.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks goes out to jwc215 for this brew.

Poured into a tulip a black color, nice carbonation, nice little creamy dark tannish head, with some minimal tiny islands floating around. The nose is very malty, big tones of coffee/chocolate/toffee, nice vanilla tones, and some caramel. The taste is very delicious of malts, vanilla (sweetness), mostly chocolate/caramel. The alcohol is hidden very well with this brew. Full-Medium body. Very drinkable, a joy to have. Thanks Joe.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Opened 22 Fluid ounce 2007 Bottle at Beer Tasting with NitroGen & Tayner; Poured into Snifter.

Pours a nice Dark brown-black color with little to no head.

Smell is a nice dark Belgian chocolate - smells like Christmas. Taste follows with chocolate with slight coffee notes. Very smooth finish. Sweet, but not over the top. Also poured a small bit in with some homemade ice cream... WOW.

Excellent dessert beer.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Received a few bottles in recent trades with Mudpuppet and EliteDigger. Thanks guys! Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a Great Divide Yeti chalice. Pours black with a very small, dark brown head. Minimal lacing and light carbonation.

Aroma was chocolate and coffee beans.

Taste was all chocolate. Really nice, high quality chocolate. Subtle undertones of coffee are also present.

Smooth, silky mouthfeel and a lightly bitter finish. Very well crafted beer and another winner from Southern Tier.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer was a shocker.
I am not a big stout fan but I can see me buying several bottles of this.

It pours nice and black with a tan head on it.
The nose is that of roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee.

This beer on the mouth taste like you melted a hershey chocolate bar inside your glass.
Its incredible

Second tasting
This was my second bottle of this sweet stufff.
and mmmm very very good.
The nose on this instantly makes your mouth water.
It literally smells like nestle quick powder form or a meltd hersheys bar in your glass.
the head on this was not lasting very long.
This is a sipping beer and it does get mellower as it warms up also.
One of my favorite to smell beers.
It does have a little bit of an alcohol taste but that will go away with a little age.
This is one nice beer
I got chocolate, cocoa, and small roasty flavor

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

I've been searching awhile for this

A: dark, black with a tan head. doesn't linger.

S: Incredible. Chocolate. Intense chocolate. I keep getting whiffs of a hot fudge sundae.

T: What do you know, Chocolate. Dominating chocolate. faint coffee and dark caramels

M: Full bodied. Almost coats the tongue in cocoa powder. alcohol is remarkably hidden

D: Great, great beer. Chocolate and beer..brilliant.

Was hard to find and I got the last one. Hope to find again soon

This is a beer that I've been wanting to try since I'm a big fan of the chocolate beers.

This one pours like a typical stout with a nice tan head which disappears pretty quickly.

The smell on this beer was incredible. It is pure chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. After I smelled it, I knew that if the taste was anything like the smell, this was going to be incredible.

The taste did not let me down. I've never tasted more chocolate in a beer. The taste really reminded me of a chocolate milkshake. If you like chocolate, I don't see how you can not like this beer.

For the drinkability, I could just keep drinking it. I can't believe that it's 11% abv. I did not feel it while drinking it.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours like a typical stout...black with a good tan head that recedes quickly.

This, my friends, is where typical ends!!!

The scent of chocolate is abundant complimented with hints of coffee...wonderful. I thought...this is gonna be good. I have to say I'm blown away at how smooth and creamy this is. A fantastic chocolate delight with just a hint of a hop bite at the end.

My words could never do this beer justice; it has to be sampled to be appreciated. I'm thrilled to death to have several more bottles.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to PEBKAC for this one - Top 100 BIF

I got hit pretty hard by the flu and sadly had to look at this everytime I went to the refridgerator. Finally, I felt well enough to venture back into beer country and guess what my first choice was?

Being a longtime fan of Rogue's Chocolate Stout, this has been in my Wants for sometime. It was dark as night with a dancing cappuccino colored head that laced throughout. The initial scent was espresso. A deeper inhale brought out all of the wonder dark chocolate tones. A sip provided me with a chewy molasses mouthful of chocolate goodness. Hops even tried to punch through in the end.

It wasn't until I was done with it til the 11% ABV crept up on me. Woah. A tasty desser beer here.

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

much thanks to AKBelgianBeast for sharing this, while I was brewing up an Imperial IPA (amongst other treats including a Westveleteren 12)!

Dark as a stout should be. Good head quickly dissipates.

Smells like chocolate. Not nestles, chocolate. Real chocolate. Good chocolate.

Tastes like chocolate (see above). Chocolate milk comes to mind, but it's clearly beer.

very smooth and creamy.

Goes down way too easily for something weighing in at 11%! One of the world's great beers, assuming you like sweet, deceptively strong, very chocolate stouts.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first impression was as follow: "... good god..."

Fitting, it may seem, for this bean of the gods.

Into a nonic pint glass, pours an impenetrable black, no hues, no rings of the darkes brown, nothing. A tan head sits atop the colorless mass, a few swirls bring it back. Lacing in rings, then splotches, then arches. The cacao aroma tears out of the bottle, the first whiff a sense that this is no treat, no simple candy, this is something more sinister, and seductive.

The cacao seems a little like Nestle quick mix, but warm boozy alcohol and a deep, thick maltiness vanish and thoughs of such a childish joy ride. This is a serious bottle of suds, but not the deathly black mean type. It has its share of heavily roasted coffee, thick molasses, roasted malt, a slight bitter bite... and the chocolates, the bittersweet, the sweet, the sugary chocolates, they are complex they... reminds me of my moms molten chocolate fudge brownies... This is a beer to combat all the stereotypes.

The mouth is warm, above all, not that the abv isn't well hidden, its just nice and warm. Its also damn smooth, not quite slick, there is enough carbonation to put a little zing in it.

Overall, ... ya. Outrageous. Outrageous, and I can't image this getting a better score, because unfortunately, for all the insanely delicious chocolate in it, it veers a smidge too far away from beer and into the vague realm of 'dessert beers.' I would have loved for it not to be classified as such, but as tasty, as delicious as I find it, its just a bit much for me. So, as I step away, caress my ego, I'll simply say; well done. You have successfully made chocolate a bad ass motha fucka.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Picked up this particular bottle at my local brew store but I also received one from Drseamus in the Big Black Booty BIF. This is the 3rd or 4th of these I've had but I've just never got around to reviewing it. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a pitch ass black that allows zero light in or out. This is definitely the darkest stout I've ever seen. A nice quarter inch dark tan head forms and fairly quickly recedes. A small collar is left with no cap and a bit of really small spotty lacing.
Smell- Loaded with oogles of chocolate of all kind. Nice sweet milk chocolate and plenty of dark bitter baker's chocolate. A bit of caramel is present reminding me of those Betty Crocker caramel brownies my mom used to make. Awesome!
Taste- Pretty much exactly like the nose. Loads of milk chocolaty goodness that is a lot like Nestlé's syrup with a bit less sweetness. Bitter baker's chocolate is gritty and nice with a bit of hop in the finish. Some coffee is also noticeable but not really until the end. The hop continues in the finish leaving almost citrus notes. A bit of alcohol shows at the end but for the most part the 11% is hidden really well.
Mouthfeel- Thick and full-bodied with a almost syrupy consistency and a nice bit of light, tingly carbonation and some light alcohol warming.
Drinkability- This is a really good beer if you love chocolate. It's just over-the-top chocolaty and I really enjoy it. It can be a bit sweet at times but not to an extreme and not overly cloying. All the beers in the Blackwater Series are really really awesome but this one probably takes the cake. Fantastic beer!

4.06/5  rDev -4.9%

650 ml.
Alc. 11.0% by Vol.
Served at 50 degrees in a Dogfish Head snifter
Stamped '227 A2 21:41' in ink near the bottom rim

Appearance - no light permeability except on the farthest reaches of the deep space blackness; tan head has short life; sparse lace; midway, its sets to a lifeless black ink in the glass; the abv can hand 1 excuse to the Vanity 101 professor here but that's good for .5

Smell - I considered going on a Bubba Gump shrimp ramble about the varieties of chocolate that I smell but I'll stick to chocolate syrup (early) and a bag of spent chocolate malts (very prominent later in the bottle); raisins; molasses; muted but credible, second-half dose of alcohol

Taste - here comes the big train; mirrors the nose with the addition of more of a bitter chocolate; hops try (and fail) to fight through grains and the alcohol -- which comes through late and hangs on for the aftertaste; hop shot rises in the aftertaste as well; with as much malt presence, its shocking that there's enough hops in the process to counter but they hold on admirably (but again, they lose); this one could benefit from cellar time

Mouthfeel - nice balance of carbonation and slickness with a deduction for some cutting alcohol; more exciting on the first of two pours

Drinkability - the potency of the aftertaste and the quality feel gave me time to sit back and analyze with no immediate need to dive back in

It's a meal and dessert in a glass. Slow down. This is a low speed zone and the chocolate tanker is coming through. Since its still March Madness season, Choklat is a quality 5 seed, but its definitely 1 and done. I'm going to hold 1 for a year and come back for another sample.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Aww man, joe1510 hooked me up with a bunch of ST brews ina nice trade, mucho thankos again Joe!

My God! No wonder this one is rated so high on BA - pure chocolate heaven. Dark, <heavy> and drinks like a freakin dream. Chalky and gritty, this is one heckava stout. Black as night, tan head - and let it warm to 50 degrees as the label recommends.

I'm sipping on this, but the 11% is NO WHERE to be found (except for the lil' buzz it's generating). And I'll tell ya, it's very well balanced with a shitload of hops in the finish.

Maybe the 65 degree sunshine weather is influencing my review, but this is pure beer heaven.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

So I was expecting a big chocolate flavored beer and that's exactly what I got. In the smell at first is a sour chocolate smell, probably because it was a bit too cold. As it warms up the smell is like cocoa powder. The taste is ALL milk chocolate. Ok there's a lot of alcohol that comes out as it warms as well but this is like drinking chocolate milk. There is still a slightly roasty barley finish. Very very good but almost a bit hard to drink, even if it does taste so good. Great in small quantities.

4.07/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Black with mahogany highlights, tan head, very little retention, some leg/lace.

S: HUGE Bittersweet/bakers chocolate aroma, with underlying hints of molasses and port. The chocolate is phenomenal, but if it wasn't quite so overwhelming, this aroma would be a '5'.

T: Chocolate; VERY warming alcohol, like a chocolate martini; good bitterness, hint of molasses. Again wonderful, but a little one-dimensional.

M: Really well-attenuated (considering the strength), quite dry, moderate body has a slight creaminess.

D: It's a sipper.

2.3/5  rDev -46.1%

22 oz bomber from local Binny's

A: dark black pour with a minimal tan head
S: chocolate is there with a weird astringency. Dark chocolate is the predominant smell.
T: big chocolate front with an astingent/steel aftertaste that wrecks it. Almost undrinkable.
D: Sorry folks, this may have been a bad bottle but I think it's just over the top for me, not balanced, not even a sipper, just too much of something off-putting in there. I would try this again only if someone else has a tasting or something, too many other good stouts out there.

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks yobdoog for this one. Large capped bottle poured into a snifter.

Nice pitch black body, unfortunately generating little tan head with minimal retention, certainly due to high ABV although could certainly be improved.
Aroma is milk chocolate, with some minor roasted malts and coffee distantly in the background, suggesting a sweet brew.
Medium bodied and creamy, it shows the expected milk chocolate, sweet notes, but it is well ballanced by a heavy roasted, almost burnt malt note, bittersweet chocolate, and even what I believe were some hops at the end; it starts sweet, evolves bitter to bittersweet and ends dry - well balanced!
A second bottle, aged one year, shows more sweetness with little roasted malts.
A good "chocolate stout", but inferior to Rogue's. Still worthwhile. I would suggest drinking fresh - more complex and interesting, better balanced.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Nothing chocolatier (is that a word) drinkability is tough considering it's so strong, it hits quickly (like a fart in a car) cause it goes down so smoothly. This is hard to get in some parts of the country. This is one for any beer tasting, will make your guests drool!

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a nice dark, opaque color with some nice head, but little lacing. Excellent scent, a nice burnt grain/coffee aroma with a great dark chocolate kick. Great taste, too, an excellent stout as is, but the dark chocolate flavor is absolutely great. Goes down pretty well, although the large alcohol percentage makes it slightly rough. It's like the Hershey's Peanut Butter Cup commercial... "You got your stout in my dark chocolate!" "You got your dark chocolate in my stout!"

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

The beer pours a thick black with a very small brownish-tan head. Smells of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, hot fudge, and a hint of roasted coffee. Upon the first sip, I knew I was in for a real treat. The beer tastes of smooth chocolate. Not necessarily dark chocolate, but not milk chocolate. This is a chocolate flavor I have rarely tasted. The beer was brewed with fine Belgian chocolate. That's the taste. It's a great chocolate flavor. The roasted flavors are there, but just as an afterthought and balancing act. This is one very drinkable beer for the 11% ABV. I didn't even notice it at all.

I had this as dessert. It would pair well with ice cream.

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Beer pours nice dark black color with a nice tan creamy head. The aroma hits quick with alot of chocolate , hints of vanilla and carmel. A nice mouthfull dominated by rich creamy milk chocolate with a touch of caramel, vanilla and a little alcohol. Definatly a great dessert beer! Can't believe its 11% abv!

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to pelican for the chance to try this beer. Pours black with an okay head that fades to a thin ring. Sweet aromas of chocolate and carob, a bit chalky. More cocoa than dark chocolate aroma. The taste is extremely chocolatey with deep cocoa and some dark chocolate flavors. Some chalky/dusty notes, but diminished from the smell. A little bit nutty, and a little bit roasty, but this is all about the cocoa. Rich and mouthcoating, unbelievably rich and dark flavored. They definitely succeeded in trasfusing cocoa flavors to this beer, but with so much chocolate evident, I'd prefer a better grade of chocolate here. To that extent I'm a tad disappointed- not that it isn't quite a good beer.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company