Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,482 | Hads: 4,839
3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle, this beer pours black with a finger-thick eggshell head that settles very quickly. The aroma is pure chocolate, with a hint of coffee and some toast. The taste is sweet, almost cloying. Bittersweet chocolate? Tastes a bit more like Hershey's here. Other flavors given off are coffee, bread, and some fruity hops. This beer is thick, sweet, and is almost over the top. Definitely worth a try, but I wouldn't say more than once, unless you are serving it with dessert.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hops1337 for sharing this with me. The beer poured black, just like a big stout should, but had just a thin cap of head didn't feature much retention or lacing.

My big complaint about bourbon barrel aged beers is that the bourbon often overpowers the beer. The same is true with this brew, except that the beer is hidden behind chocolate. The first whiff was like opening a candy bar, and the beer scents never really showed through. The flavor was solidly beer though. The chocolate was still dominant, but the soildly made base beer showed through better.

The body was decent, a bit thin, but smooth and easy across the tongue. Drinkability is going to depend on how solid of a sweet tooth you have. I love chocolate but think I'd have trouble with a 22 on my own, this is a beer that cries out to be sold in 12s.

Overall, a beer I liked and will have every so often, but it won't make my regular rotation.

Poured into HotD tulip.
Pours nicely one finger brown head. Dark brown in appearance.
Smell precedes taste with, what else? Chocolate.
The chocolate taste at first is good - I like chocolate. Taste is of real cocoa chocolate slightly burnt.
Then I took another sip. And another.
And that was enough. Cloyingly sweet. Enough already.
This is not a beer I enjoyed after the initial couple of sips. Will save the rest to pour over vanilla ice cream.

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

This wasn't a terrible beer. Had a very strong "choklat" aroma. The body I felt started strong but slightly dropped off while soaking the palate. Very strong appearance with no head, no lacing really either. For the seven dollars that I spent on this beer and to add it to the tried list I didn't think this beer was a total flop. With some really good stouts I've tried recently this is not high on the list but certainly not last.

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Black. A dark tan head of one finger tops it off.

S: Pure milk chocolate. Not much else.

T: pretty much the same as the nose. Chocolate.

M: A bit thin. Some more body and smoothness would be nice. Carbonation is right on.

Overall: A one trick pony. Chocolate And not much else. Not very easy to drink. A chore to finish. A 12oz. Bottle would be nice. Definitely not something I would drink again.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

This beer was a nearly opaque brown, clear, with a half finger head. I tried shining an LED flashlight through it and almost nothing came through.

Aroma was all chocolate at first, sweet and sugary. The comparison I red below to Hershey's Syrup is a valid one. Roasted grains came through only when I went hunting for them.

Taste was of strong roasted grains, followed by a splash of bitterness. A burst of alcohol came through at the swallow, and the finish was faint chocolate with that lingering bitterness. The chocolate came through stronger when I took a much larger swallow, but the bitterness was much greater as well. Not a great trade-off.

Mouthfeel was much too thin for a double stout. It just didn't pull it together for me.

Drinkability gets low marks too. It was all I could do just to finish the bottle. Of course, since I can open my throat and drink a lot at once, and I was looking for a buzz, I managed to do it.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Thanks to mikecharley for this one. 22 oz bomber, split with my wife into 2 oversized snifters.

Pours very dark brown with brownish-red highlights. Only a small light brown head, but it is easily revived by swirling every few minutes. Minimal lacing.

Given the reputation of this one, it's no surprise that it smells well, chocolatey. Chocolate is definitely dominant, but plenty of dark roasted malt, a touch of coffee and maybe a hint of vanilla are in there, too.

Big chocolate flavors dominate, but it's not nearly as one-dimensional as I'd braced myself for. Other sweet flavors we picked out included toffee and vanilla, and the sweetness is kept in check by dark roasted malt, coffee, some earthiness from the Willamette hops and a nice sting of bitterness in the finish from the Chinooks. Not bad, really.

Mouthfeel is nice. Fairly full-bodied, with a distinct creaminess from the flaked barley and chocolate.

Drinkability's pretty good in spite of the sweetness. Each of us put down our half of the bomber with ease. Overall impression: Pretty nice dessert beer, and definitely more complex than anticipated.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours almost pitch black, only the faintest hints of brown/deep-red can be seen at the top edge of the beer when held to direct light. The head that forms is dense, deep-espresso in color and dissipates to a fine layer of head on the top of the beer. The smell is all over the place. I get some nice milk chocolate notes, with the glass sitting on the desk next to me, coupled with a light roasted character. Putting my nose up to the glass releases a chocolate aroma reminiscent of a nice sipping chocolate, sweet milk, and the faintest hint of some kind of roasted malt. This thing isn't messing around when it says it's "a stout brewed with chocolate." The first sip carries a bit more roasted malt to it than the smell, but a dark chocolate flavor quickly overpowers most of the roasted character. A milky sweetness coats the tongue, despite the slightly less than smooth mouthfeel of the beer. The roasted character sticks around after the sweetness has departed; a nice compliment to the milky sweetness at the start of the sip. There's still some stout characteristics buried under the sweetness, as evidenced by the nice roasted character. Truly a well-balanced approach to a dessert beer, as this would most certainly be if given the opportunity. Some spiciness sneaks through on the back of the taste, livening the overall flavor of the beer slightly. Warming only enhances these characteristics, taking it from a good beer, to a damn fine beer. Seriously, I could drink this over and over again. Chalk another one up to the guys over at Southern Tier.

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from early 2009. Served in a pint-shaped Goose Island taster glass.

A - Pours with a late-rising dime of tan foam that sizzles quickly to a light haze. No ring or lacing on top of a very, very dark brown that is slightly lighter at the fringes.

S - Hershey's chocolate syrup, malted milk balls, chocolate icing. Incredibly sweet, without much else going on. Alcohol is well-hidden I guess. Bonus points for achieving what they set out to do.

T - Taste is less good, with lighter chocolate over top of a pretty bland stout base - not much in the way of roastiness or complementary flavors. Lots of residual dark chocolate and earthy bitterness, and a bit of booze as well.

M - Low carbonation, and a medium, slightly watery, body that seems a little thin for the ABV. I think a little more carbonation might have actually helped. There's also a bit of warmth after a while. Very sticky residual texture.

D - I'm glad I split this bomber with others, as I can feeling my heart rate accelerating. Drinking a whole bomber would probably result in the loss of a limb. I love the chocolate in a Hunahpu's, but this is a one-trick pony here.

3.44/5  rDev -19.4%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (January 26, 2010). No 'bottled on' date here.

Eyes: Pours a very dark chocolaty brown/black. One finger of fluffy brownish head forms and dissipates.

Nose: As advertised, it smells almost exclusively of chocolate. It smells how I'd expect dark chocolate milk to be. A hint of hops also?

Tongue: Dark chocolate again, but this time it's burnt chocolate with a distinct alcohol burn. Some burnt cocoa and soft vanilla are here also, but mostly the burnt chocolate. It's nice, but a bit too one dimensional for me.

Mouth: It's actually quite smooth until the alcohol makes it's appearance. Carbonation is very good however.

Libation: What a surprise, it's very chocolaty. I like the concept, but it just isn't balanced. The aroma is quite good, but it's just too much of a one trick pony. It certainly delivers the chocolate, but not a whole lot else.

3.44/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At the Mohawk House in Sparta, NJ. Into a tulip, it poured black with one finger of dark brown head, with good retention and lacing, and no carbonation. The nose revealed an intensely sweet chocolate smell, almost like Bosco chocolate syrup, along with a bit of anise and molasses. Dare I say, the beer smelled one-dimensional. The taste did confirm the one-dimensional aspect of the beer...tasting like dark chocolate M&M's...HOWEVER, it worked. I mean, with a name like 'Choklat', I didn't exactly expect a potpourri of flavors, and the intensity of the chocolate flavor worked. Just a little too sweet, though, and the finish was revealed the alcohol content in its entirety, with only modest dryness. Furthermore, the feel was thick and slick. Definitely a sipping beer, but I wouldn't recommend drinking this stand-alone; this beer screams out to be paired with a creamy dessert.

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured into a goblet from a 22 oz bottle. Dark, dark , dark! Thickish khaki colored head that disappears immediately.

Smell is all chocolate, almost overpowering. So overpowering that I thought I would not like the beer. More on that...

Taste is not as chocolatey as the smell portends. Very thick mouthfeel, which I like, but the sweet choclatey taste takes away from the mouthfeel. Tasting every bit of the 11% alc.

Drinkablility? Are you kidding? I wish I had someone to share the bomber with.

Overall, not bad, but as I said next time, I'll make sure there's someone to share.

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

A: its a black hole, creates about 1 fingers worth of dark tan/mocha colored head which diminished rather quickly

S: oh God. it has such a massively sweet dark fudge aroma that it makes me immediate regret opening this bomber up with no one else to share it with. I get nothing but immense fudge, a slight touch of vanilla and if I really pull for it, I get a slight molasses note.

T: nothing but straight up chocolate fudge brownies and coffee. also big bitter dark chocolate that makes the brew a bit more enjoyable because it takes away the richness of this brew, but this one is gonna be an epic challenge to finish tonight.

M: full bodied all the way. leaves a bitter dark chocolate note along with a subtle rich fudge note on the palate. it is what i would expect for a brew that has enough calories to cause hyperglycemia.

Overall, this one is just so damn rich. It tastes like its 5,000 calories (possibly an understatement). I have never had a beer this sweet and I feel that this one crushes Creme Brulee in richness. Having a pint of this one is more than enough, drinking a bomber welcomes diabetes.

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Had on tap at the Sunset Grille in Brighton MA.

Appearance: Squid ink like in texture and appearance as it swirls and sticks to the glass. Pitch black and syrupy with a small to medium head that leaves a collar. This beer has legs as it hits the glass.

Smell: Smells like herseys chocolate syrup to a T. Huge melted chocolate aroma rather than cocoa. Sweet but balanced aromas of chocolate, espresso and cappachino come to mind.

Taste: Overly sweet for my liking but balanced throughout. Huge kick of melted chocolate and bitter espresso on the back end. If the abv werent hidden so well i would drop this a whole point just because its a bit overly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Cloying and sticky. Doesnt hit the palate quite as thick as it looks, but its really just a dessert beer and i cant see anyone drinking a whole bomber of this stuff.

Drinkability: This would be a great dessert beer in a 6oz sample but otherwise its too over the top for me. I like how strong the chocolat flavor is and how it lives up to its name, but i cant drink more than 12oz of this stuff in a whole night.

Bomber at 45 degrees into snifter
Aroma of chocolate and roasted malt
Head small (2 cm, aggressive pour), light brown, fizzy/frothy, rapidly diminishing to 2 mm ring and broken layer
Lacing none
Body dark brown/black, opaque
Flavor of chocolate; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl; alcohol burn begins immediately after swallowing
Palate medium, creamy, fizzy

Appearance 4, Aroma 4, Flavor 3, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Black. Tan head. Swirling it around, it doesn't look too viscous.
S: Definitely smell the dark chocolate. Coffee. Roasted bitterness but not too much. Medicinal notes.
T: Licorice sweetness in aftertaste which I'm not crazy about. Chocolate.
M: Medium body. Low carbonation.
O: I like the chocolate flavor, especially in the aroma. However, the aftertaste has this weird sweetness that is off-putting.

3.47/5  rDev -18.7%

Growler to Snifter to get drunk quicker?

A: Lively chocolate liquid, with a small 1 cm water down coffee looking head. Head dissipated with some lacing intact.

S: Smells of sweet chocolate, scant hops.

T: Upfront it's nice a sweet and makes me want yell, "Mom I can get drunk off chocolate!" but before my excitement is heard, the chocolate gets bitter, unpleasant, and the sweetness dematerializes into anything buy sweet.

sweet face + a pungent ass.

M: Good body, that could have been heavier, slightly thin. The penetrating aftertaste hinders it from having a smooth finish.

D: Can you guys honestly keep drinking more than a 8 oz serving of this beer?

My taste buds don't agree on this one I guess. Good looking/smelling beer with marketing behind it. A lot of hype on this number.

My bottle says 11% abv.

A: Pours dark as night with 2 fingers of tan/off-white. The head dissipated fairly quickly to less than a finger, but remains fluffy for the duration. Foamy lacing coats the sides of the glass.

S: If you enjoy chocolate, this will smell heavenly to you! A strong aroma of sweet MILK chocolate (rare for most beer), hot coco, chocolate malts, chocolate cake... lots of chocolate! Hints of white chocolate too. Very sweet; liquid Hershey bar.

T: Roasted and chocolate malts, bitter espresso, and some (only some) sweet chocolate. Sadly, I feel the 11% alcohol dominates in the flavor a little too much. It's pretty hot and a strong boozy bite is apparent throughout each sip. Finish is just a little too bitter for my liking as well.

M: Pretty full bodied, but again the strength of the alcohol creates a slightly unpleasant bite and burn. It's not too bad, bot not great either.

D: After the aroma I thought this was going to be chocolate bliss in a bottle. Once I drank it, however, I was a little disappointed. I think this will benefit greatly from a year or two of aging. The alcohol taste just needs to mellow out a bit. As of the posting of this review, the listed abv of this brew was 9.1%. I wonder if vintages with this abv tasted better fresh?

Notes after aging for two years:

I put my other bottle of it away and decided to pop it tonight after letting it age for two years. The nose was just slightly oxidated with aromas of milk chocolate, tootsie rolls, and sticky molasses predominating. The flavor featured a lot of (unsurprisingly) chocolate, but a slight smokiness in the finish provided some balance. Suggestions of molasses, vanilla, and toffee lingered in the background. The 11% booziness has definitely died down in two years, but the brew is still very warming on its way down. Overall, I would say two years has improved the brew and it could probably benefit from even a few more years in the cellar.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a few of these from various people this past summer. Thanks to my friend Jill for surprising me with one, as well as to wfeddern and a mystery trader for bringing some bottles along for trade. We drank lots of this stuff by the pool. Thanks guys!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours out dark brown and shows and 1+ finger, noisy, medium looking, fluffy, light brown head with good retention. Black body with higher levels of carbonation evident for the style. Head slowly fades to a thin wisp, but only a ring remains, leaving some dots of lacing down the glass. An average looking imperial stout.

SMELL: Dark, pure chocolate. Perhaps some slight roasted notes and some slight hints of vanilla, but I’m searching a bit here. This is basically all dark chocolate. I like dark chocolate, so it’s an enticing aroma, but I also like some more complexity with my beer.

TASTE: Starts out a bit empty actually. A touch of roast and chocolate perhaps, but relatively mute up front. Flavors come out nicely after the swallow, however. Some roasted flavors, caramel sweetness as well, then lots of pure, dark chocolate. Flavors jump out, but then mellow out quickly. A mild aftertaste lingers nicely and is laced with bitter-sweet chocolate and a touch of heat. Not quite as bold as hopped, especially up front, and relatively one dimensional. Gets points for being very chocolaty.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation. Very creamy on the palate, goes down smooth with some decent heat on the swallow and finishes slightly sticky. A little less carbonation and heat would be nice. Good though.

OVERALL: Southern Tier is phenomenal at making their beers taste like exactly what the label says. Creme Brulee, Jahva, Pumpkin, etc., all taste as advertised. This one is no exception. This is basically a chocolate beer with a relatively hot imperial stout as a base. While I enjoyed a full bomber to myself, I do prefer a little more complexity in imperial stouts like this, which is perhaps why I like their blend Mokah a little more. Moreover, this one is a little lacking in flavor up front and could be a little bolder overall. A fun beer that I will eventually drink again, but not one I will be inclined to seek out. Thanks again for the bottles guys!

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Poured opaque black with a brown head. The aroma was like chocolate liquor with some peppermint patty. Think the chocolate came off very extract-ish in the flavor. I was still good, but it was just that one note. Medium/full body. Medium carbonation. Semi sweet finish. Syrupy.

22oz split 3 ways.

A - deep dark body, thin brown head, yet still slightly clear.

S - intensely chocolate, sweet.

T - again tons of chocolate, bittersweet, roasted malts.

m/d - Not a particularly sticky body. Not bad but glad I shared the bomber, too much chocolate for me.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Poured from the standard pressure cap bottle into a Corsendonk tulip at low altitude. Expectations are high considering the reviews here.

A: Pours jet black with a three-finger tan head that fades rather quickly and doesn't leave any lacing to speak of.

S: This basically smells like a Hershey's chocolate bar. Sweet chocolate with some caramel malts in the background.

T: Semisweet chocolate flavor up front followed by caramel malts. There's some hop bitterness on the finish, but this still tastes cloyingly sweet to me.

M: Medium- to full-bodied with a wet mouthfeel. However, it's a bit rough around the edges and could definitely be creamier and smoother.

D: This beer seems grossly overrated to me. The ABV listed on the bottle was 10.0%, so maybe the recipe changed significantly from past years. While it's not difficult to drink, it's overly sweet and not very complex. With the quality of imperial stouts out in the market, I wouldn't buy this one again.

Poured from a 22, no date

A - Pours motor oil black with an initially vigorous beige head that quickly fades. What is left laces nicely.

S - Nose is full of bittersweet and dark chocolates, heavily roasted malts, and a sweet and fruity alcohol

T&M - Full bodied and thick. Bittersweet chocolate and cocoa nibs. Sweet, dark fruity esters with raisin and deep roasted malts. Warm in the finish and somewhat sticky and sweet. The light hop bitterness actually matches the bitter notes of the chocolate very nicely.

D - Certainly on the sipper end of things, but lots of nice characteristics, and sweet without being cloying.

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

barley flakes
chocolate malt
Bittersweet Belgian Chocolate
Kettle hops: Chinook, Willamette
Serve in a snifter at 48F...hell yeah! that's a label!

Aroma: Sweet chocolate, a definite hop nose, low fruity esters, and warming alcohol cascade out of the glass. Hops open up a bit as the beer warms.

Appearance: Shoe leather brown pour with a tan head that is fizzy and almost soda-like. Rings the snifter as it fades.

Flavor: Big chocolate flavor up front, milk chocolate, hop bitterness, and some background alcohol. A nice roasted profile emerges as the beer warms up. Finish is dry and clean.

Mouthfeel: Slightly astringent, full bodied, slick, and medium-high carbonation. Leaves a milk chocolate aftertaste on the palate.

Overall impression: A big, bold chocolate stout. I was suprised at the hop presence on this one. I didn't expect it to be so forward given the style and chocolate addition. All sorts of great things going on here (hops, chocolate, good recipe) but they just didn't seem to "knit" together well. Good beer? Yes. Worth they hype? Probably not.

3.54/5  rDev -17.1%

A quickie tonight:

The basics: No idea on price (thanks to Brian44556, great trade cheers mate), 11% ABV (whoa boy)...

Dark...Not much carbonation...Light lacing and even lighter head...

Huge chocolate aromas. Almost the only thing you can smell...A lot like Hersey's hot chocolate mix...A hint of chocolate covered cherries...

Tastes identical to its smell...A lot of hot chocolate right upfront and in the early middle...Very sweet...Very thick...Viscous in the mouth...A nice, roasty malt tang carries throughout, although I bet some of that is chocolate...Finish has a nice, sharp bitterness, polly from da hops...Not bad, but certainly not for everyone...

What I like most: The robust nature of the beer

What I like least: Taken as a whole, this one just leaves me wondering "what if"..

Verdict: Not sure I like it, but it's big and robust...I'd try something else if it was around...

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company