Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,494 | Hads: 4,886
3.55/5  rDev -16.9%

Thanks to liamt07 for sending me this one in a recent trade.

This one is dark black with some reddish notes on the edge. The head is brown and disappear quickly. Wish it could stick around a bit more longer.

The aroma is dominated by notes of chocolate and alcohol... very chocolate in the aroma. Appears to be a complex beer nevertheless and full body. All that from the nose, lets dive in.

The taste is very deep chocolate note. Almost like drinking chocolate... just like milk chocolate. Carbonation is present in the mouth. Almost no bitterness, but the one I get is similar like a dark chocolate. This is truly a dessert beer. I wouldn't drink this just to quench my thirst, it wouldn't work IMO. It was hard to finish alone, too sugary for my taste. It isn't bad, but the drinkability suffer from it.

3.55/5  rDev -16.9%

Thanks to jamie2dope for the trade.

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Flying Saucer 2009 Beerknurd glass.

A= Very dark black with some hints of light coming through on the edges. Very little head on the 1st pour. Hard poured the 2nd half and got a 3+ head of light brown. Light lacing.

S = Basically chocoate/ tootsie roll with a bit of earthy hop presence.

T = INTENSELY sweet chocolate dominates. Very syrupy to the point of overbearing. No coffee. Hop bitterness slightly in the finish. HOT alcohol on the finish as well. Burns a bit from the intense sweetness as well. Wanted to give a 4 because I love chocolate, but this is a bit heavy handed.

M = Not overly thick. This could use a bit of softening. I like my RIS creamy and smooth.

D = Definitely a sipper. The harsh alcohol burn and syrupy sweetness make this one a one hour affair. I made it through the bomber, but it took a bit of effort.

Overall, has some very redeeming qualities. The chocolate is very overt (big surprise, huh?) and quite tasty, but in whole, this one could use some work to soften some of its more harsh qualities.

3.55/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with cola and ruby hues, seems clear, a small covering of pumpkin pie orange and tan colored head. Aroma is of chocolate fudgsicles, chocolate milk, very noticeable lactose aroma, smells of chocolate mint as well. Taste follows with the same chocolate milk, mint and fudgsicle flavors mixing into a burnt roasted malt with a bitter coffee finish. Medium to heavy body, sweet thickness is cut by the roasty flavors and a slight dance of hops on the tongue. Alcohol is very well hidden for its strength, just a quick warmth. An unusual and interesting beer, I enjoy the mouthfeel, the mint in the nose and flavor is unusual as is the powerful chocolate flavor. Glad I got to try it, seems a beer that is best to be shared as the flavors are strong and unique, would like to cellar one and see what develops.

3.56/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes from drinking the 22oz split with my wife earlier on a frigidly freaking freezing day in the Northeast. I thought that would be the time to crack it open. Poured into enormous Dogfish snifter.
Bottle Graphics: 8/10. Enticing.

I want to start that Southern Tier has been hit or miss to me on several occassions because they push the envelope. I, unlike many, loved the Creme Brulee. This one actually falls in the middle though- didn't love it nearly as much as Jahva but didn't find it hard to drink like the Cherry Saison.

A: Body-- Black, nuff said. I see nothing else in the glass from the pour, like a blackest of black holes. Is it possible to have a nearly black foam produced from a beer? These guys may have done it, come pretty darn close.

S: Melted chocolate bar, the sweet Ghiradellli chocolate, not garbage choclate. Maybe some good hot cocoa syrup, again- not the nestle bunny stuff, the high maintnance fu-fu fancy chocolate. I need to hunt for it but there is a spice flavor in the aroma that comes out when its cold.

T: Intense chocolate, diabetics beware. I think I like the Creme Brulee better because I am more of a butterscotch fan than I am of raw chocolate. This is nearly as intense and that is saying a lot. Not kidding when I say this tastes like a melted high-quality 80% chocolate bar with alcohol burn. It does not taste like any other beer I've tried or even like a beer.

The 11% is felt in the taste, no games being played. Different flavors come out more than it did in the aroma- coffee, cashew. As it warmed off, I didn't find it as pleasureable- I enjoyed the burn.

M: Decadent like many of the ST brews. Smooth, chewy, minute amounts of carbonation. Lovely alcohol burn that warms all the way down to the chest with the heat.

D: Oh yes, this will warm you on a cold winter's night. Between the feel and punch of the alcohol and the sugar content I am glad I didn't take on the 22oz myself.

3.56/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours out dark, with some red and amber hues around the edges. Has a big fluffy brown head with some lacing and a bit of bubbles last throughout. The smell is pure chocolate and alcohol, it's nice and sweet, but you wouldn't guess that it was beer just by the smell alone. The taste matches the smell perfectly, like creamy chocolate mixed with alcohol, pleasant and enjoyable, but personally, I would like to have a bit more of the bitter roasted or more complex tastes in an imperial stout. The mouthfeel is perfectly smooth and creamy, not harsh at all. And it drinks very easily, for the style at least. I found this very pleasant, not an everyday imperial stout (I think I could drink some type of impy every day) but one that's worth purchasing and probably worth revisiting.

Edit: If this beer had a distinct style, for something like flavored stouts like chocolate etc. then it would have much higher marks.

3.57/5  rDev -16.4%

1/21: On-tap at the Shadow Lounge in East Libery, drank from a pint glass.

It's syrupy-black with a nice mocha head. Leaves a little bit of lacing.

Damn this smells like chocolate. Like Hershey's chocolate syrup.

The taste? Exactly like the smell. It tastes like chocolate syrup. I find this good for a sip but way too sweet to drink much more of. Thick and syrupy, with a sugary aftertaste. Does hide the 11% very well.

Maybe having a whole pint glass of this stuff in front of me turned me off to it - it was a little much. Nonetheless, delicious, and, in proper setting, I can see this having merit. I'll try a few more beers in this style and maybe eventually come back to it.

(Served in a snifter)

A- A jet black body has a few tiny bubbles stuck to the glass but that is all I can see of carbonation. There is a thick film of tan head that leaves a nice bit of broken lace stuck to the glass after each sip.

S- The big chocolate nougat flavor has a light marshmallow quality and a strong smell of Hershey's chocolate syrup in the finish.

T- The taste of tootsie rolls and chewy chocolate nougat has some lighter flavors of roasted black malt for support. The bitterness of black grain lingers a bit after each sip. No fusel alcohol at all until the last few warm sips.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat until it warms a bit and then it is a pleasant soft burn.

D- This beer is not overly sweet but it is overly chocolate candy flavored, and not real milk or dark chocolate just chocolate candy. The first glass was novel but the second glass was hard to get through. There isn't much malt supporting the tootsie roll flavor. The beer underneath has some nice flavors.

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

World-wide sweet-toothed you´ve got it!! On-tap.Shaker glass.Enjoyed on mar´12.Black in color,black to the light.Dark beige froth.Creamy lasting crown.Nice lacing rings.Every expected aroma is well hidden by an intense sweet chocolate fragancy. Smooth sweet upfront.Then fudge chocolate explosion.Full & dense body.Silky sweet palate,sweet buttery notes.Wonder if raisin & prune hues will be present at a very deep level... Just an illusion! Nothing but dense chocolate swamping all over while lingers to the end.Soft carbonation.A flavorful delicious beer for all those who believe they don´t like beer.4 points are given to palate box since it´s really difficult to maintain a balanced flavor while masking hops,malts & ABV. Suggested as a 5 o´clock beer.Excellent pairing with danish butter cookies.

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

A: Dark Brown with ruby specks at the edge with a thin tan head.

S: Muted sweet chocolate and some cream.

T: Chocolate milk made with Hershey's chocolate syrup with a hint of alcohol.

M: Full and oily like chocolate milk.

D: Too sweet and high in alcohol to make it a continuous drinker. It would make an OK after dinner beer.

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

There is nothing else to know about this except that it tastes like melted chocolate. Nice tan head, great bottle, nice deep brown color. The alcohol is barely present in the nose and not at all on the tongue. It even leaves a chocolaty coating on your mouth. Mmmm chocolate...

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Bottle from cellar, about 1 year old. Acquired in trade. Seemed like a good Game 7 sorta beer. Poured ~8C into a stemmed flute.

A: Jet black, small head and minimal lacing.
S: Nestlé Quik syrup. Hershey chocolate syrup. Sweetness and chocolate. Is there a beer in here?
T: Some roasted notes wityh a milky thick sweetness and a great deal of chocolate that comes across as an artificial version of chocolate. Bitterness is there and builds over time with a roasted bitterness that builds a little too sternly for my liking in such a sweet dessert beer.
M: Thick and sweetness that sticks to the tongue. Lighter carbonation that lets the beer come through.
O: Maybe a bit old? The chocolate is still there, but it just comes across as artificial chocolate sweeteners. Meh. I expected much more especially after loving the Crème Brulée.

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

A: poured into a goblet, leaving little head. black lacquer liquid leaves little lacing.

S: Literally smells like chocolate syrup. No exaggeration! Over the top? sure - but I like it

T: very sweet, chocolate of course. Vanilla notes and not really much else. A one trick pony here. But if you want chocolate beer, this is it.

M: quite thick and chewy. carbonation is smooth and ample.

D: Due to the massive sweetness and simple nature of this beer, its not one to drink in quantity. I'd recommend you share this 22oz bottle with a friend.

A great dessert beer.

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 10-01-08 printed on the bottle.

(A)- Pours a pitch black color that produced a tan head. Dissipated quickly, but left some big clumps of bubbles.

(S)- Dense & rich cocoa, chocolate, & dark chocolate. Very malty & sweet smelling. This has some dense, thick, chocolate notes.

(T)- Tons of sweet & rich chocolate characters. Some bitter chocolate, creamy milk chocolate, and a bready/neutral cocoa. Tastes like a chocolate shake that had an extra pump or two of chocolate syrup than normal. Finishes dry.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A decent balance to it. Ridiculously rich & decadent. A touch of dryness & bitterness. Extremely sugary sweet.

(D)- Definitely a dessert beer. Tastes good, but does not lend itself to being a great drinker. Split with at least 3 ppl; its gonna be very hard to finish this by myself. 1/2 a glass of this feels like I just ate 5 chocolate shakes; very filling.

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark brown/black with a tiny head and some lacing. Bubbles evident.
S - It took me a while to place this, but I realized it's a hybrid of the fake-chocolate salt water taffy and a tootsie roll. It's an interesting nose and extremely sweet, but definitely smells "fake."
T - Taste mimics the nose very strongly. It's like blended tootsie rolls. Very sweet, not much to this that tells me that it is beer; tastes like a chocolate soda. No alcohol taste whatsoever.
MF - Creamy and smooth, balanced with the perfect amount of carbonation.
O - If drinkability was still a category this would get a five. I can't tell that this is 3% alcohol, let alone 11%. Alcohol is shockingly hidden. Very solid beer, although I wish the chocolate tasted more genuine. Would drink again, definitely.

3.61/5  rDev -15.5%

Aroma - Bitter chocolate and hops, surprisingly complex. This really turned chocolatey as it warmed.

Appearance - Dark black brown with a quickly dissipating light brown head.

Taste - Bitter hops and chocolate lead to a little roasted malt. A lot of bitter flavors mostly of the chocolate variety. Probably too bitter for my tastes but still decent. There was a warming in my chest half way through the bottle but never really any hints of alcohol on the palate. Again like the nose chocolate came out more as it warmed.

Notes - I started drinking this beer at 51 degrees and found it a little harsh. As it warmed up the chocolate became more prominent and this beer definitely began to shine. I would buy it again but not drink it even as cold as 55 degrees.

3.61/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 to nonic. One month old.

A - Opaque black, light tan head, lots of lacing. Shine a light at it and you'll see that the carbonation is in slow motion. Neat.

S - Straight up chocolate and caramel. There's even a chocolate lava cake smell, that maillarded chocolate pastry smell with the thick chocolate filling.

T - Chocolate and caramel at candy levels. There's milk chocolate, a hint of dark chocolate, and powdery cocoa. There's not really a beer taste. There's also a minor tart/sour/lemon element that doesn't quite jibe with the rest. That overlaps with a metallic note that doesn't jibe either. Those things want to be complexity but wind up discordant instead. I can mostly ignore these things and enjoy the chocolate, but I wish that discordance wasn't there. The metallic note lingers on the tongue in a way I don't want, though it's minor and somewhat less noticeable later in the glass as the chocolate dominates.

M - Thick and sticky, though actually less thick than the slowww carbonation would make you think.

O - This is more a dessert drink than a beer. It's pleasant in that light, but not as much in the context of beer. It is candy forward and not complex in the way that, say, Rogue's Chocolate and Double Chocolate stouts have other complementary layers going on. I hear people talk about beer ice cream floats and usually am turned off by the idea, but this would absolutely work for that. A scoop of vanilla or even mint chocolate chip in this would be a treat for any beer/dessert lover. I'm glad I tried it but won't get it again unless a fitting novelty situation presents itself. If I were rating dessert drinks, this would get a high score. As a beer, it's hard to rate it up.

3.61/5  rDev -15.5%

First I would like to say that I become conflicted with beers like this. To me beer should taste like beer, not chocolate. but for the sake of extremism and experimentation I will do my best.

Looks completely black with a thin brownish head. nothing too out of the ordinary but remember this is liquid chocolate.

Smells like hershey syrup, a ever so slight alcohol twinge, and that's about it. lacks complexity and all sense of the fact that it is beer.

Taste is once again chocolate, and a slight alcohol tinge. Nothing more. I don't really know how else to expound on this.

Not to much a fan of the mouthfeel, a bit on the sparkling side. Drinks slowly and would go well poured over a bowl of ice cream. I guess I should say even though the review might not indicate. I am definitely not a fan. But hey, that's just me wanting some sense of a beery type quality.

3.62/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a light-swallowing burnt magenta, which approximates black for the most part unless back-lighting is involved. The head is brief and ashen brown, with a small, lasting collar.
A veritable S'mores on the nose, with chocolate being the obvious bandleader, but with backing graham cracker and marshmallow traits. And that's it, no trace of hops nor alcohol, and malt is vague, at best. This is chocolate. This is candy. This is not stout. But I'd be lying if I said it didn't smell delicious.
There is one simple word that adequately surmises the taste profile. And in case you failed preschool multiple times, it's chocolate. It's all over this, perhaps even more so that I would have guessed. It's also very sweet and confectionery. I'd have guessed a more bittersweet cocoa approach than this liquid fudge bath. It segues into an equally sweet and sugary marshmallow impression, still slathered in chocolate syrup. Liquid dessert, indeed.
Problem is, any beer-derived assets are virtually cloaked. There are scant traces of roasted malt on the sides and back of the tongue. Hops? Phantoms of spruce when the tongue searches around the mouth post-sip. Alcohol? Scary absent.
Initially, it's thick and decadent, as it's brings a sucrose-thick gooeyness and serves a tiny, semi-persistent bubble, which makes this mouth-bindingly huge upfront, then almost vacated by the time it goes down the throat. The first couple sips are delicious, the last few from the bomber get to be bludgeoning and a chore. Like trying to eat a bag of Hershey's bars at once.
I'm not a huge dessert fan, but I'd probably take this over a slice of cake (not tiramisu, though, I love that stuff). It's hard to rate, because it is so overbearingly chocolately, and in that sense, it succeeds. But I want more nuance and complexity. In short, I want more beer, because there are any number of directions I want this 11% stout to go towards, and it just doesn't.
It's a shame that this isn't quite thick enough to drizzle over shit, because that might be it's calling.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer on NYE poured in a dimple glass. Pours a dark brown color with a 3/4 finger thick tan head. Very light lacing and carbonation. Aroma is fantastic. It's big time chocolate and grain (cereal). Flavor is mainly chocolate with a touch of mint. There is just enough hop bitterness to help balance the beer. A very smooth, medium body beer. Alcohol is fairly well hidden. I can't say I loved this as much as I hoped to as this beer is too chocolate-y for me. Perhaps a nice dessert beer as there is some high quality chocolate in there!

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was a good treat, but not a beer I'd frequent. Thick black body and a beige head that doesn't stick around very long. This beer is crazy chocolaty. From the nose to the taste, there was just so much chocolate. Like a stout should have, there was some malt bitterness and warming burnt character with the alcohol. But seriously all that could really come out was the cocoa powder flavor. Seems a little too put on, if I can add.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Choklat pours out nearly black with a small tan head. Alcohol legs run along the glass with larger bubbles forming on the outskirts of the head.

Smell is chocolate, a bit of chocolate, then some chocolate. Honestly though, deep cocoa aromas run wild in the aroma but they remain one dimensional. A sweetness prevails at first, then deeper dark, malty aromas fold in.

Taste is a bit more balanced with some roasted bitterness to compliment dark chocolate flavor.

The mix of sweet flavors and medium body make this beer dangerously drinkable.

Overall, a good Imperial Stout but not one I would try again. Good for dessert.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-little to 0 head with a tan color. Beer is black and syrupy looking.

S-very strong milk choolate smell that drowns out anything else. May have some fruity notes but all I smell is chocolate.

T-Much more of a dark chocolate taste, nice hoppiness to the sweetness to this one. I even get a caramel with salt flavor on the back end of this one. More of a unsweetned chocolate taste.

M-medium to think body with perfect carbonation for this one.

Glad I tried this one but chocolate isnt my favorite flavor.

3.63/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle thats been sitting in the basement for a while poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- black body under a finger of coffee colored head. decent lacing. cant ask for much more.

S- loads of dark chocolate, as one would expect. some roasted malts too.

T- strong taste of bakers chocolate. stronger than any other beer ive encountered. a hint of booze, and a decent hop presence at the end as well.

M- smooth thick and creamy.

D- pretty easy to finish the bottle after sharing a few sips with others. doubt id want to finish another given the ABV.

oddly enough, time in the cellar has almost made this one's tastes separate instead of blend together, if that makes sense to anyone but me. the booze is more pronounced, the chocolate is starting to fade etc. its been less than a year, and i think this one is better fresh. drink it now if you have them, or wait until the next batch is released and try it then if you dont. still an interesting beer that gives you exactly what youd expect.

3.63/5  rDev -15%

Poured from 1 pint 6 oz bottle into goblet.

Poured a dark black as it should with really no head on it, has a brown line of fiz around the side of the glass.

smells of hmm....chocolate milk, actually sweet chocolate milk.

tastes exactly like sweet, intense chocolate milk. i prefer my chocolate stouts to be bitter rather than sweet so this one is not for me and i won't have another. this is made from sweet dark chocolate. i can't even detect any coffee flavor just chocolate and lots and lots of chocolate.

i don't know if i will finish this beer or not. it is so strong in chocolate that i don't know if i will drink all of it because it's a large bottle and i would prefer a bitter chocolate stout instead, such as a stone bitter dark chocolate stout.

3.64/5  rDev -14.8%

$7 for bomber @ bottles in spokane valley.

Poured to NB Globe.

A: Deep dark coal colored stout. Little to no head. Surface bubbles light mocha. Thick and viscous, there are no laces left, just falls to the bottom again.

S: Chocolate, plenty of cocoa. hints of vanilla and sweetness of alcohol in there. Although strong, very simple. Not too many layers here. Good, not great.

T: Much better than the smell. More balanced in the cocoa, beautiful dryly braided malts add a powdery hollow profile. Primary downfall here is how much they invested into the sweetness of the beer. This is so sweet I have a hard time finishing the bottle on my own.

M: Thick, with low carbonation. Great fit for the beer. Slightly sticky.

D: This is a dessert beer, and should be had during special events. Well done, but very specific.

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company