Choklat - Southern Tier Brewing Company

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-14-2007

Reviews: 1,480 | Hads: 4,825
4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this on tap at the Blue Tusk in Syracuse. Saw it and had to have it as I unfortunetly passed up a bottled at the local store and wasn't able to get it again.

Nice black brew, red highlights when held to the light. Light brown head that reduced to a ring around the glass. No lacing.

I try to be more descriptive in my reviews, but the bottom line of this beer is that the smell and aroma are straight up Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, straight from the bottle. No hints of the 11% at all. This is just straight up chocolate, with maybe a touch of bitterness towards the end. The only thing I'm tempted to ding this on is that it is one dimensional, but its so far above all the other chocolate beers out there, I'll let it pass.

Mouthfeel was decent, pretty full, slick on the tongue. Not the heaviest stout I've had. Overall drinkability is good too. The chocolate is amazing, this would be great with a multitude of deserts. But given its straight up chocolate aroma and flavor, you can only have so much. Also, that 11% will get you in trouble, as I found out later that night, haha. (1,089 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. Southern Tier's Choklat stout is really a taste (and olfactory) treat. Upon opening the bottle, the aroma of chocolate permeates the air (no hints of alcohol here). The taste buds know that something special is coming their way (and it is indeed). This imperial stout pours from the bottle a dark brown color (I was expecting something pitch-black). There is a nice foamy head which lasts a reasonable period of time. The taste is a delight, with a fine balance of sweet chocolate, roasted malts, and a very faint bitter spark at the end (and again no hints of the relatively high ABV within). Very smooth. This is so special, I am going out for more. Seek out and ENJOY!!! (678 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What is becoming a tradition, I am digging a special bottle out of the cellar for my birthday. Though BA says it's March 4th, it's still March 3rd here in Northern Cal. I think this should be a nice night cap.

This bottle is courtesy of todd1, thanks again!

Pours a dark flat black color, with a nice off white head.

Aromas are... you guessed it chocolate. Oh my, this is like walking into the Ghirardelli factory. Mostly this smells like dark bitter bakers chocolate. Whoa, almost like a dark chocolate cake, this doesn't smell like beer, but it sure smells wonderful though.

Taste is amazing. Though like the smell, this doesn't taste like beer. This tastes like drinking cool cocoa. A bit malty and creamy, but mostly this is all about the chocolate. Some bitterness, but it mostly reminds me of dark bitter chocolate, not really of hops. Did I mentioned that this tastes like chocolate?

Mouthfeel is pretty good. But a bit lean for a hefty stout.

Drinkability??? Well... this is tough for me. I can see why people LOVE this beer. But to me, this doesn't really taste like beer. It's just a bit overboard on the chocolate for my tastes. I would have liked more traditional beer flavors and I think the bomber is going to be too much for me. But wow... this is so interesting, and I would have never guessed that this was 11% ABV?! Amazing... I'll have to track down another bottle to share with some fellow beer lovers, they will get a kick out of this one. (1,468 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4%

a - pours black with a dark tan head, decent lacing, not much retention

s - aroma is of strong dark chocolate, a little blueberry, hints of alcohol

t - tastes like melted dark chocolate with a few blueberries thrown in, strongest chocolate I've tasted in a beer, hints of alcohol but not overwhelming at all

m - medium-to-full-bodied, moderate carbonation, nice balance of bitter dryness and sweetness on the finish, some alcohol warming

d - somewhat drinkable as the alcohol is there but not overwhelming and the bitterness from the dark chocolate is balanced nicely with a chocolate and blueberry sweetness

Very nice beer all around...a great beer if you're in the mood for some chocolate. I can't put it in the top tier of stouts b/c the complexity is just not there for me. Well trying and indulging in occasionally. (825 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured a 22oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. Poured a 70% pure chocolate black with a thin, milky mocha head. Wow, the aroma is straight up chocolate pudding and Hershey's chocolate powder. Nothing else. Taste is mostly chocolate, with hints of dark chocolate and finishing with milk chocolate. Also it kind of tastes like the milk after dunking 12 Oreos into it. This is the definitely the chocolatyest beer I have ever drank. Wow. Mouthfeel is great, like creamy chocolate pudding. I have to take the drinkability down a notch because the chocolate is all you get. This is definitely the most chocolate I've ever tasted in a liquid form. (638 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured this 22 oz. bottle (Blackwater Series) into a pair of wine goblets to cap off Saturday evening of our Manzanita, OR getaway weekend (watching 'Lost', season 3 on DVD). I'll reiterate my affection for the ST silk-screened label designs: we have another winner...I also enjoyed reading the history of the Mayan beverage 'xocoatl', the detailed ingredient list...what? oh, right...there's beer inside...

A: Sooty blackness, with slim amber traces at the edges. Vigorously poured, but yielding only a half-finger of tan head, creamy, rapidly fading. Minimal clinging lace. A wine glass may not have been the ideal glass, but it's what we had to work with...

S: Oh my! Huge chocolate aroma, bittersweet and earthy. A little peat, some oatmeal sweetness, slight espresso bean roasted bitterness, notable chocolate-covered raisins...maybe even cherries. Seems a little one-dimensional (but who's complaining, it's exactly like cocoa...) til it fully warms and presents the other subtle aromas. Very, very nice.

T: Wondered if the taste would fare as well, following that divine aroma. It's certainly a bold jolt of (what else?) bitter chocolate,married to a charred barley-grain toastiness and subtle mocha flavors. I kept picking up a slight tangy 'cherry' flavor in the background...is that how the alcohol comes across?

M: Expected this to be full and syrupy, coating. Instead it felt reasonably smooth, though not quite silky, and was perhaps thinner than my preconceptions. Modest carbonation, lasting back-of-tongue bittering.

D: Good for a small tasting, a pleasing and sharable dessert beer. Perhaps because we had sampled some outstanding Spanish and US-made chocolates earlier in the evening, this didn't elicit the 'wow' it might have otherwise. Regardless, a '4' score seems fair for drinkability; its overt chocolatiness makes it fine in modest amounts and on limited occasions.

Thanks to traders todd1 & jwale73 for a couple of these. (1,957 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

Black onyx color with a 1 finger thick head that holds extremely well. Very active,fresh and hungry looking carbonation.

Dark somewhat bitter chocolate semi sweetness with a hint of chocolate powder akin to Hersheys powder but with a dark chocolate essence to it.

Taste is incredibly thick lush chewy silky chocolate. A touch of milk chocolate with more semi sweet bitterness. There are also some malty elements that come through in the background but they are faint.Finishes with a small amount of boozy heat but it is incredibly moderate and somewhat subtle given the high ABV. Very well concealed. There are also some elements of brownie or chocolate cake mix that I notice as well.

Mouthfeel is smooth coating velevety and lush--absolutely tremendous.

At 11%ABV and pretty sweet this is far from a session beer but I am definitely looking forward to trying this one again. Probably the best milk/sweet stout I have tried to date. (937 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

Sampled on 2-26-08

Pours a very thick and completely opaque black, with a thin tan head that leaves behind big, clingy lacing.

Smell is all chocolate, sweet, like a chocolate milk. Not very beery at all.

Taste is huge, huge chocolate. Again, alot like chocolate milk. There are some malt qualities if you look, and just a hint of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is good, very thick and viscous. Reminds me of ... chocolate milk.

Drinkability suffers from the intensely sweet chocolate flavor. The alcohol is very well masked, though.

Overall, good for what it is, but completely one-dimensional. Worth a shot if you're in the mood. (641 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

You only really need one word to describe this one, and that word is, chocolate. It looks, smells, and taste like choclate.

Pours a dark, dark, dark black with a chocolate milk colored head, that dissolves at a slightly moderate pace.

The nose is hit with a rich choclate syrup smell.

The alcohol taste is overpowered by the extreme chocolatey goodness, but you can catch a mild hint of hops, but the chocolate dominates.

I could drink this for awhile, as the chocolate detracts you from the high abv. Goes down extremely smooth for such a big beer. (553 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%

Call me a curmudgeon, but I like my beer to taste like beer, you know? So I cracked this one with a little trepidation since the whole point of the beer seems to be to create something that isn't beer. Something more along the lines of a fermented chocolate malternative as opposed to an honest-to-goodness beer.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I started drinking it only to find that is actually tastes like a beer with chocolate, as opposed to chocolate in beer form. Oh, to be sure, the chocolate is the dominating aspect of this beer: it smells like a piece of really rich dark chocolate, right down to the faint waxiness many chocolates use instead of cocoa butter (generally something I frown upon, but fat and beer rarely go well together with the notable exception of my beer belly and beer bellies everywhere). Likewise, the taste is initially a blast of chocolate. It reminds me of European hot chocolate, you know, the kind that is basically a melted bar of chocolate put into a cup? Yeah. That is what we are talking about here. It is only in the aftertaste that this beer starts to resemble "beer", there is a nice and unmistakable dry acidity from the chocolate malt that brings this beer back and makes me think of a fine porter. There is also a nice citrus finish from the chinook hops. I had never thought about how well chinook and chocolate would pair, but I have to say it is genius. It is a very nice way to take a well-known aspect of American beer and marry it to something a pinch more exotic and allow the drinker to experience it in a whole new way. I like that.

The carbonation is also nice. Very faint, but if you swish it around your mouth a little bit, it takes on a nice chocolate milk texture that is very fitting for the beer. If you hold it for too long a pronounced alcohol sharpness makes its presence known but that quickly fades.

Wow. I'm impressed. Certainly a "sometimes" beer, (1,924 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

I got bottles from both nutbrown and orbitalrOx. Thanks Alan & Don!!

It pours a very dark brown with reddish hues and a 2 finger head of tannish foam.

The smell has great notes of milk chocolate, toffee, and a touch of coffee. The chocolate is ruling it here.

The taste is...so damn tasty! First and foremost, it's the chocolate. I'm tasting both sweet, which has the bigger role, and dark chocolate which, along with a small amount of coffee, give me some bitterness that helps prevent the over all flavour from becoming *too* sweet but hell, sweet is surely is and I'm loving it. There's plenty of toffee flavour here as well. Wow. I know that 1 bottle at a sitting will do it for me but the 22 ounces in that bottle are disappearing at an alarming rate. ;^)

The full mouthfeel and lowish carbonation is working its magic while the abv just gives me a little warming after the swallow. Great job in hiding the 11%, for sure.

Btw, the head retention is better than average and there's plenty of lacing hugging my glass.

Bottom line: This is, by far, the most chocolate-y brew I've ever tasted and is a real treat. If you have a chance to try some, do so!! (1,163 characters)

As a choco-holic all I can say is....This beer is amazing! This is probably the greatest beer I have ever had and it will probably take awhile to find one to top it. That being said...

Poured a jet black with an off white two finger head that dissipated to a thin ring with some heavy lacing. The smell was sweet rich chocolate. It was like opening a chocolate bar. There was a hint of coffee on the tail end as well. The taste was like an alcoholic chocolate milkshake. There was hints of coffee and roasted malts but mostly chocolate. The mouthfeel was creamy and silky like thick chocolate milk. Did I say chocolate enough yet. Even though its a strong thick brew the drinkability is still amazing. I never get tired of it and aside from the alcohol sneaking up on you a bomber is usually not enough. (804 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

I know my wife is thrilled I'm finally opening a bottle of this since it's her absolute most favorite beer. I've had it on tap a few times but haven't sat down with a bomber until tonight.

APPEARANCE: Pours black, black, black into my Duvel tulip. The head is quite small and is tan in color. It drops immediately to a modest collar and some hazy bubbles across the surface.

SMELL: On tap it's just like Tootsie Rolls, but from the bottle the aroma is pure brownie batter. Deep, dark, luscious chocolate dominates with only a bit of coffee melding in. Other than that, there's not much else, but this has to be the most luxurious-smelling beer ever made.

TASTE: The beer's alcohol is evident at the start, but then the rich flavors begin to overwhelm it. The chocolate comes next, as expected, but seems to be much more creamy - almost milk chocolate-like. The finish sees coffee come on strong, some west coast hops make a slight appearance though nowhere near the intensity of the chocolate.

MOUTHFEEL: Wow it's thick. And creamy like a milkshake. This beer is definitely knife-and-fork-worthy. The carbonation is understandably low, but I'd like it slightly higher though not by much. It borders on syrupy otherwise.

DRINKABILITY: It's a big beer for sure. But a bomber seems appropriate despite it's strength. Excellent for dessert.

Today just felt like a big stout night, and Choklat sure delivers. With the snow and ice coming down outside, this beer is just what I needed to warm me up. I'm glad I've got a few more bottles to ride the winter out with. That is, unless my wife drinks them first. (1,608 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at Coles in Buffalo.

Pours an opaque brown/black, thick tan head forms, settles to some solid lacing, nice ring, looks good. Smell is chocolate milk, toffee, roasty, coffee, some pine hops, vanilla, bread, pretty damn complex and awesome. Taste is rich, lots of chocolate milk, toffee, some brown sugar, smoke, more chocolate, light roast, excellent. Mouthfeel is full bodied with low to medium carbonation, chocolate bitter finish, super alcohol hiding, none detectable, some warmth, great beer!!! (506 characters)

Pours a dark brown near black. A shade short of pitch black really. The creamy tan colored head surprisingly manages to hold up despite the high alcohol content, but leaves only spotty lacing.

Smells of spruce, cocoa bitterness, and of course, Choklat.

Taste is somewhat one dimensional and comes off as Choklat icing. Faint alcohol and spruce like finish. The alcohol becomes apparent upon my cheeks rather than in my mouth halfway through the glass.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly thinner than expected. Alcohol makes only the faintest of appearances making this a dangerously drinkable brew. Southern Tier hit the Choklat flavor dead on and I credit them for refraining from making this beer overly sweet and cloying. Points away from its one dimensionality.

If available it is worth a go, but it isn't something I would describe as a must have. Unique and enjoyable. (877 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a light-swallowing burnt magenta, which approximates black for the most part unless back-lighting is involved. The head is brief and ashen brown, with a small, lasting collar.
A veritable S'mores on the nose, with chocolate being the obvious bandleader, but with backing graham cracker and marshmallow traits. And that's it, no trace of hops nor alcohol, and malt is vague, at best. This is chocolate. This is candy. This is not stout. But I'd be lying if I said it didn't smell delicious.
There is one simple word that adequately surmises the taste profile. And in case you failed preschool multiple times, it's chocolate. It's all over this, perhaps even more so that I would have guessed. It's also very sweet and confectionery. I'd have guessed a more bittersweet cocoa approach than this liquid fudge bath. It segues into an equally sweet and sugary marshmallow impression, still slathered in chocolate syrup. Liquid dessert, indeed.
Problem is, any beer-derived assets are virtually cloaked. There are scant traces of roasted malt on the sides and back of the tongue. Hops? Phantoms of spruce when the tongue searches around the mouth post-sip. Alcohol? Scary absent.
Initially, it's thick and decadent, as it's brings a sucrose-thick gooeyness and serves a tiny, semi-persistent bubble, which makes this mouth-bindingly huge upfront, then almost vacated by the time it goes down the throat. The first couple sips are delicious, the last few from the bomber get to be bludgeoning and a chore. Like trying to eat a bag of Hershey's bars at once.
I'm not a huge dessert fan, but I'd probably take this over a slice of cake (not tiramisu, though, I love that stuff). It's hard to rate, because it is so overbearingly chocolately, and in that sense, it succeeds. But I want more nuance and complexity. In short, I want more beer, because there are any number of directions I want this 11% stout to go towards, and it just doesn't.
It's a shame that this isn't quite thick enough to drizzle over shit, because that might be it's calling. (2,047 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

Drank the beer in a pint glass, poured slow with a tan head about a knuckle to fingertip height. Smelled like chocolate. Tasted like chocolate. Finished like chocolate. Overall pleasing drinking experience. Reminded me of a chocolate Tootsie Pop. Go figure.

Enjoyed with chocolate cake the second time around. Held up very well. (329 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

There may be nothing wrong with this beer unless you don't like chocolate. And having said that - this beer isn't just for stout lovers, its a very good stout, but its feels more chocolate than it does stout.

I didn't get that crema head that I am accustomed to (er maybe spoiled by) on some Imperial stouts (I of course could have poured it wrong). 2nd pour, I overdid it and got foam but it was crema-like. Color is a nice brown, hints of red it in, slightly opaque.

This beer's aroma is solid chocolate - all chocolate - its great - the nose get the chocolate, then the mouth - the taste is superb.

No sign of the 11% ABV - none - it drinks like a regular stout or porter and a 22 oz bomber is going down nicely.

I want to make a mole sauce out of this beer, I want to put this beer on ice cream, I want to freeze this beer on sticks and suck on it.

It's the best pairing of chocolate and brewing I have ever had - it's better than Rogue's, better than Brooklyn (and brooklyn is really good), this is better because its blended so well.

The hops come out when it warms a bit and so does the alcohol, ice cold its strongly chocolate, as it gets to room temp,, the chocolate settles and the alcohol comes forward but not overwhelmingly. Nice roasted malt taste, its very balanced.

Trade for this one, its worth it and its delicious. (1,340 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%

Great chocolate smell as soon as the cap came off, smelled just like a candy bar. Poured dark brown into the glass and had a very creamy tan head that stuck around. Nice malty chocolate taste with just a slight hint of the 11%. It drinks pretty well, but it took two sessions to finish the bomber off since it's more of a sipping beer. All in all a nice beer for a special occasion or a lazy Sunday. (399 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a dark brown/black color with a light but tall brown colored head. It smells of chocolate mostly with some malty undertones. No hop scents. The taste is mainly of chocolate, like a cold hot chocolate. It is a really nice flavor for an imperial stout. It has a really good mouthfeel - very very smooth and definately didn't taste like 11% ABV. The drinkability is excellent. I could drink this beer all day if I could. This is a hell of a chocolate stout and I definately recommend it. (490 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Consumed vom Fass on 02.14.08 at Liberty Street Tavern in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Solid head retention on this black beauty. Aromas thick from the get go with roasted malty goodness and rich, unfettered with chocolate. The flavor only goes to confirm what the nose knows. Smooth and enveloping on the palate, this one is a sneaky offering - 11%? No way. But it is. I blinked and had two of these gems before I knew what happened and felt it. The alcohol is hidden so well in this brew, thanks in large part to its well crafted malt structure and the high quality chocolate flavor profile. Rich, luscious, smooth, warming, and complex... I am proud to say I had a chance to try this one. (688 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a 1 1/2 finger head with good retention that stays for a decent amoutn of time Dark brown approaching black in color.

Smell is of bittersweet milk chocolate. This smell dominates the other smells and makes it difficult to discern other ingredients.

The taste of this beer is phenomenol if you are a chocolate lover. Bittersweet chocolate dominates. There are some cararmel malts in the back and a citrusy abrasive bitterness that is only enough to balance. A little toffeeishness and a slight roasted malt charactersitic on the finish. Undertones of coffeeish like flavors.

Full mouthfeel. Somewhat chocolatey/syrupy. Nice, though.

I could drink this all night. 11 abv is highly deceptive.

Big thanks to Deuane for such a bad ass extra. (747 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 1pt 6oz bottle into a champagne flute. I shared this with my wife on Valentines day. Drank one serving alone and then paired it with a dark chocolate torte. Opaque black color with a thin, tan, fizzy head that receded rapidly. Minimal lacing. Didn't look like anything special.

Sweet strong milk chocolate smell. Smells like powdered Swiss Miss. Most intense chocolate smell I've experienced with this style. Smell intensifies with warming.

Taste is more of a bitter dark chocolate than the nose would suggest. Not a lot of sweetness. Hops bitterness is minimal. My wife (not a BA) thought it was very bitter, however, pairing it with the sweet chocolate torte toned this down. I thought it was spot on. No real perceptible alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Carbonation is moderate. Alcohol feel is minimal, which was surprising at 11% ABV. Quite drinkable.

Great alone. I found it fantastic when paired with a chocolate desert. One of the more intense, rich chocolate stouts I've tried. (1,018 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Almost opaque, with just a faint hint of lite penetrating. Cocoa tan head gives way to a vanilla swirl like lacing. Aroma of rich chocolate and faint hint of nuttiness. These are the most intense chocolate aroma's I have smelled in a beer. Fresh hot brownies staight out of the oven. Taste is also very rich belgian chocolate and roasted malts. Very sweet and smooth, with almost no bitterness in the finish. Left with a lingering chocolate sweetness coating the tongue. Alcohol extremely well hidden in this gem. Due to it's strength wich show's itself down stream and obvious sweetness a bomber is more than enough. Shared with my wife over Valentines day desert of vanilla bean cheesecake. Made for a great pairing. Fantastic beer. I think I'm in love.

Yet another gem of a beer from Southern Tier.

Big thanks jjayjaye! (824 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%

Well its Valentines Day and what better way to celebrate than with Choklat!

A: This one pours blacker than black darker than dark with very little head. What little head there is disappears to a mere whisp on top of the coal black drink.

S: Big bold and sweet. Tons of cocoa it smells; like the hot cocoa my grandmother used to make. There are hints of cream, caramel, and coffee as well. But this one is all about the chocolate, I have smelled brownies and fudge with less chocolate aroma than this.

T: Wow! What a way to celebrate Valentines Day. The chocolate taste is off the charts. Move over Young's and Rogue this is THE CHOCOLATE, er CHOKLAT stout. Starts off with the taste of velvet chocolate that is ever so smooth and creamy. Tinges of bitter dark chocolate bites through in the middle. Caramel and hints of semi sweet chocolate then mingle in the mouth with the bitter chocolate. It finishes sort of sweet with a hint of molasses and more sweet milk chocolate.

M: Medium bodied and ultra smooth. Perfectly carbonated.

D: Very! To be honest one bomber is enough, but it is oooh sooo enjoyable and there is not even a hint of the ABV that this one packs.

Overall: Southern Tier will you be my Valentine? I am in Love with this one. The chocolate taste is off the scale and so enjoyable. There is not a better beer in the world to share with your loved one on Valentine's Day. Southern Tier never ceases to amaze me with the beers they are putting out these days.

Last of all another shout out to BeerTruth for sending this one over. You Rule! It's been awhile since we have traded, how bout round 6? Just make sure you send a bottle of Choklat so I can mix it with the framboise like you suggested. (1,717 characters)

Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing Company