Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,369 | Hads: 4,234
Reviews by abents:
2.48/5  rDev -36.9%

22oz bomber with cows on the label (down with that!)
Pours out a beautiful black color. Even with pretty vigarous pour, not much head, but it is light tan in color and laces sporadically. Smell is like candy, burnt sugary sweetness, coffee, caramel malts, and i swear butterscotch. Taste is disgusting. Way way way too sweet. Sticky caramel, butterscotch, chocolate and coffee lead to an incredibley hard to drink beer. I must say I do not really like sweet eats very much, but on occasion I'll have one. This beer however is ungodly sweet. Very hard to drink this. Lots of candy, sweet malty flavors, but i need some bitterness or some sort of balance, this is just way too far in the sickly sweet catagorey. Definitely one to share, preferably with someone who doesn't like beer, because this tastes nothing like one. The label says I should drink this at 42 degrees, maybe because this is at 43 degrees that it is this bad, but I doubt it. Ugh, this is gross, if I want dessert I'll get one; if I want a beer, I won't be drinking this.

1.47/5  rDev -62.6%

A: The pour is a dark brown color with a khaki colored head that settles down to a thin layer.

S: The amount of butterscotch, caramel, vanilla and burnt sugar in the nose is nearly unbearable. I felt like I got a cavity just from smelling it.

T: I thought the nose was bad, but jeeze. This is pure, unadulterated sugar. Butterscotch, burnt sugar, vanilla, caramel, and some sugar on top for good measure. A bit creamy, but who really cares?

M: The body is medium with a low carbonation and a tooth rotting sweetness.

D: I'm pretty sure I am diabetic after having taken a few sips of this beer. So unbearably sweet and sugary without any sort of balance.

2.36/5  rDev -39.9%

I was shocked how much this reminded me of artificial sugar and fake vanilla. This was the first large format that I didn't continue past half a glass.

2.54/5  rDev -35.4%

A: Almost black with a small beige head that leaves some lacings on the glass as it settles.

S: Very strange. It smells more like pasty or cookies than a stout. Burnt sugar, vanilla, toffee - well, it smells like creme brulee. Beneath this massive wall of dessert-like aromas, some muted aromas or roasted malts and a hint of coffee are noticeable.

T: An absolute mess. It's cloyingly sweet with overpowering notes of vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel and toffee. I get the exact same feeling of pastry, cookies or other desserts that I got from the smell. Some stout flavors or roasted malts, dark fruits and chocolate beneath it all. The finish is quite bitter, but the bitterness is off queue and fails to level the sweetness. A hint of wood at the end.

M: Full-bodied and creamy thick texture that makes the beer quite heavy.

D: Too strange and too sweet to ever get interesting. It's definitely one of a kind, I'll give the brewery that. And the fact that it tastes so much like creme brulee is quite impressive. But it still isn't a good beer. It's basically just a cloyingly sweet dessert disguised as a stout, and if I want a dessert, I'll get a dessert, not a beer.

This beer was highly recommended by my waitress at Flying Saucer. It came out in a 22 oz bottle.

I poured it into a tulip glass.

A: at first glance it looks great. good color.
S. the aggressive aroma made me immediately think this beer was loaded with some kind of fake extracts. I checked the bottle and found it was all natural ingredients.
T: I took a swig, and I could barely swallow. I would almost rather consume a BMC beer. I nearly left the rest of it there and walked out. But it was way to pricey to waste.
M: the mouthfeel was astringent almost. It felt chemically.
O: No. don't drink this beer

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a finger high tan head that quickly faded away and left lacy patterns of bubbles floating on the surface.
S: There is a strong and sweet aroma of butterscotch and vanilla beans in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has flavors of caramel, brown sugar, heavy cream and vanilla beans.
M: It feels medium-bodied, smooth and slightly viscous on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: Drinking this beer is practically like having dessert; it goes down very easily and there's not a trace of the alcohol content in the smell and taste.

4.51/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Creme Brulee - Southern Tier Brewing

Imperial Milk Stout

ABV - 9.6%

APPEARANCE: As I began to pour this beer it slowly came gurgling out like it was waiting for an invitation. Black motor oil liquid that devours the glass into a deep darkness. Small amounts of a milk chocolate rim variations sit underneath a dense latte colored head. Dense and tightly bubbled head that has a long lasting retention.

AROMA: Imagine taking the best creme brulee you have ever smelled, chopping it up and snorting it. Ya that's what this beer smells like. Its insane I can smell the intense vanilla from 2-3 feet away. Loads of caramelized and slightly burnt brown sugar join the vanilla as dominate aromas coming forth. If you can get beyond the vanilla and sugar there is a very creamy milk aroma and marshmallow that gives way to a slight coca dusting. It honestly smells amazing I've never gotten this much vanilla on the nose of any beer before, outstanding!

TASTE: Liquid custard, heavy cream, vanilla Nesquik tons of lactose that adds a residual sweetness that is delicious as a creme brulee is. There is a slight break in the upfront sweetness that shows some malt characteristics, caramel, nuttiness with some light espresso flavors. The presence of vanilla is undeniable, although it doesn't quite dominant the palate as it did on the nose.That leaves room for the caramelized and burnt sugar flavors to join in on the fun. As this beer begins to warm up it does reveal a layer of the traditional stout flavors, with some bitter chocolate and roasted malts that tie this beer together and really round it out.

MOUTHFEEL: Low plus carbination with a medium plus body. Almost drinks like a melted creme brulee milk shake, with a very creamy mouthfeel. The nearly 10% abv can be detected and i think its a welcome reception to remind myself that this is a beer after all.

OVERALL: Its funny to read all the reviews and see how people are bashing this beer for being to sweet. Did you not read the label and see its said "Creme Brulee" and "lactose sugar" ? I for one new exactly what I was getting into, I saved it for after dinner, late night when i was ready to drink my dessert and it did not disappoint. It drinks like liquid creme brulee, that a stout was poured on top of and then flamed. Whats not to like about that? The nose on this beer is in the top I have ever let my nostrils consume, amazing. My only complaint i would say is there is a thin line when letting this warm up, its nice to get the stout flavors to come out but let it get just a tad warmer and it does start to get a medicinal, astringent thing going on.

RATING: 4.6/5 Zombie Heads!

4.59/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Murky dark Tootsie Roll brown with khaki head; toffee and caramel candy/sugar beet notes; toffee and caramel candy flavors; mouthfeel is medium with big chewy candy tongue coating; rich sweet malt, toffee and caramel - like drinking liquid creme brûlée dessert.

4.98/5  rDev +26.7%

One the best stouts there is.

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours nice and dark with a small cream head. Smells quite nice all be it a bit sweet. Unfortunately this was where the appeal ended. The taste is sickly sweet and resulted in an instant headache, the feel is sticky and leaves behind a viscous coating.

Was looking forward to this one and was left very disappointed.

2.57/5  rDev -34.6%

Lots of fans of this beer... just found out that I am not one. Looks great, with a pitch black body and ring of tan head. Served good and cold, as suggested. Nose was exactly like a Werthers' Original candy (which is OK by me). Could barely get past the first sip... hyper-sweet, astringest, horrible. Mouthfeel was basically a guess... can't do it. Wife thinks it is fine. If it wasn't for her, there goes an 8.99 drain pour. Bottom of the barrel for me. I am a stout guy, and this hit way off the mark for me.

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

As Southern Tier does with all Black Water beers in the series, this one oozes with creamy goodness of chocolate cream pie, to the point that I forget that this is a 10% Milk Stout.

Very strong aromas of, well... Creme Brulle. Strong vanilla, coffee, chocolate. Very well balanced and mouth watering. A light hint of cola comes in the end.

Flavors of vanilla and powdered sugar start off in as well as any beer imaginable. Soon, strong coffee, chocolate, vanilla, heavy cream, and merange (sp?) engulf the beer and dive heavy into a Khaluha-like alcohol taste and strength. Very nice but that extra sweetness begins to take the form of aspirtame from time to time.

Quite heavy on the palate due to light carbonation, heavy sweetness, and firm maltiness. Bitterness seems to come from a lot of directions; hops, bitter cocoa, coffee, and again that aspirtame bite. Finishes a bit cleaner than expected with a deep chocolate and vanilla linger. I would probably prefer this beer without the disjointed bitterness.

Again, this is not a desert beer- It is the desert!

Thanks JNN4V

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Definitely not my favorite. As many others say this beer was way too sweet. I found this aspect, along with a surprising soapy taste in the back end to make this beer unpalatable for me.

I fully admit this is my opinion, and I can appreciate the other aspects of this beer outside of the taste.

1.5/5  rDev -61.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This beer is absolutely horrible. The smell is obnoxious and unappealing. The taste is worse. It has one of the worst aftertastes I've ever experienced; somewhat medicinal and just downright nasty. The beer looks good, however; its opaque, almost black, and pours a nice tan, one finger head. Unfortunately, it's all looks, and no taste. I couldn't finish this one. I read other descriptions and I guess my taste buds aren't refined enough because I didn't taste cocoa, chocolate, Creme brûlée, vanilla or anything else described in this beer. It's horribly sweet and unappealing. Won't be buying this again.

2.16/5  rDev -45%

On tap in Jacksonville, FL. Think cream soda with sweetened coffee. Way too sweet but that should have been expected with "Creme Brûlée" in the name. Stopped after a few sips.

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to mjtiernan for sending me this one!

Pours an opaque black with a small 1/2 inch khaki head that fades to an oily film on the top of the beer. Small amounts of lacing slide back down into the rest of the beer on the drink down. Smells exactly like creme brulee. Very sweet milk, vanilla, and caramelized sugar aromas. Taste is a bit different than I was expecting. Up front there is a pretty bitter roasted malt taste that develops into a sweet cream, vanilla, and caramelized sugar aftertaste. The bitterness fades after each sip leaving the creme brulee flavors on the palate. This beer is definitely less sweet than it smells. Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy with a lower level of carbonation. Overall, this is a good beer that smells and tastes very similar to the creme brulee dessert. I split this one with my wife and she absolutely loved it. This and the Choklat are the best ST Black Water Series beers that I have tried.

2.35/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Bomber poured into pilsner glass. Drank with dessert (banana cream pudding)

Appearance: dark brown color with tan foaming head; minimal lacing
Smell: caramel, milk, vanilla, maybe maple syrup? very sweet... too sweet for my liking
Taste: better than it smells; sweet, but not overbearing. The aftertaste is slightly bitter
Mouthfeel: thick; kind of like coffee with too much cream
Overall: goes together well with desserts like pudding and ice cream, but still too sweet for my taste. It's nice to try unusual brews every once and awhile, but I probably won't seek this one out anymore

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very smooth with a touch of sweetness, even used a bottle for a batch of ribs on did in the crock pot that gave the ribs a nice sweet note to them that even carried through sometime in the smoker

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%

One of the few ST beers I havent had the chance to try,(it came out after I moved away from western NY)if you like creme brulee you will like this beer.Poured a jet black with a frothy one finger light mocha colored head,minimal lace was left as it settled rather quickly.Wow it cant get much more spot on in the aroma,burnt sugar and hefty vanilla/caramel aromas, with slight roast as well.Dessert in a bottle,the only problem is it gets cloyingly sweet in a hurry,big vanilla/caramel flavors with some mollasses as well,only a hint of dry roastiness comes through.My wife loves it and is finishing mine,I respect the job ST did in making this beer,its just to sweet for me.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a super-dark brown, almost pitch-black. Very slight head disappears rapidly. No bubbles to speak of.

Smell: The smell alone is its namesake in a bottle. This smells just like I was sniffing creme brulee. The burnt sugar? Check. The vanilla sweetness? Check. That delicate hint of cream? Oh yes. This is a 5 on the smell factor.

Taste: Definitely has the stout base of note, but man does the creme brulee taste come through here as well. The coffee, chocolate notes of the base blend so well with the burnt sugar and the vanilla. While not quite the perfection that the nose brings to the table, this is really good. I would definitely consider this a dessert stout, but it's not so sweet that it makes you sick. Very nice. A slight bit of booziness kicks in as you drink through this.

Mouthfeel: Kind of a boozy aftertaste with a little bit of stickiness. Pretty much standard fare for this genre of beer at this ABV.

Overall: Definitely a nice once-in-awhile dessert treat. Not something to be had every day, but like with a delicious, rich, sweet dessert, something to savor every now and then.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a deep, deep brown, nearly black color, with a tan-ish head that dissipated much quicker than I would expect. Body looked to be very syrupy, thick, and sticky. Sweet aroma, full of vanilla and cream with hints of caramel and burnt brown sugar on the back burner. Taste is heaviest on the vanilla, with a slight milkiness to it, followed by caramel, brown sugar, and toffee notes coming in at the end. The vanilla taste is very, very dense and syrupy and sweet, almost sickeningly sweet. It feels like my teeth are being coated with layers of sugar. The 9.6% ABV starts coming through as the beer warms up and it makes the heavy vanilla sweetness even heavier and a little too overbearing. As expected, thick, syrup-like body with carbonation that was a little too low.

Wonderful smell, wonderful idea - I love creme brulee. However, I feel the execution was off on this one. It was a little too overpowering with the vanilla and the sweetness wasn't balanced, thus making it difficult to drink during the lower half of the glass. I'd like to see this one toned down and refined a bit, I think it has a chance to be very good.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%