Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Ratings: 4,158 | Reviews: 1,426

This is an all around GREAT beer! If you like milk stouts, try this sucker out! It has a rich and creamy color and tastes great too. Even at nearly 10% abv, it goes down smooth. The only thing about this beer is at one sip it will leave you with some dank coffee breath for the rest of the night. Consider yourself warned.

The IPA drinkers say its the best stout they've ever had...but they dont know what the fuck a good dark beer tastes like

This is the best milk stout you will ever drink. Once you try it you are hooked. I think last season myself and wife bought a case ourselves

The best beer I as a man have ever had

I'm really surprised on how much I'm enjoying this beer. The nose is great!! Vanilla, brown sugar, black licorice, some Carmel and toffee...so sweet,sweet,and more sweet. The taste is sweet but not icky sweet! It starts out with vanilla bean/ ice cream like then I get like brown sugar caramelized sugar taste and it ends with black licorice. You must be in a sweet mood and if you are the will not disappoint.

Tastes sweet but really
Good

Pours a very deep, almost black color, with a very nice fluffy/bubbly white head that remained throughout the beer.

The scent is very potent of sweet ingredients, vanilla, sugar, some dark fruit, also some notes of coffee and chocolate.

The taste is of sweet vanilla, caramel, coffee and dark chocolate are noticeable toward the end. The alcohol is also well hidden.

Full body, smooth, thick, and creamy, low carbonation.

This beer was absolutely delicious, a ton of flavor, all well balanced. It's tough to drink more than one because it is very filling and sweet but one is all you need. I will definitely look for this again.

this was my first southern tier. I cant believe how close they got this to tasting like actual creme brulee. Excellent!

This beer was perfect! Southern Tier is my new favorite brewery!

My wife wanted me to rate this beer because "it's her favorite beer ever" so per her this is a 5/5.

This beer is THE holy grail of all specialty beers. If you find one, buy it on spot. What does it smell like? Creme brulee. What does it taste like? Creme brulee. I cant believe that a beer like this was made, and made so unbelievably well, at 10% alcohol it still has NO alcohol taste, only sweet vanilla. You could open a creme brulee and it will make your house smell like you have a vanilla air freshener. The best beer Ive ever tasted, hands down. Great job to southern tier for the effort they put into this one.

Tall bottle poured into a snifter so I could put on my trunks and take a dip into this beer.
Black as night appearance with a peek of the darkest brown. Head dissipates to an oil slick (that "me likey").
Smells heavenly and exactly line dessert... Blindfold me and I'm st a great restaurant ordering mg last course.
Tastes just like it. I get the strongest flavor of butterscotch which beats the common vanilla one might find in sn imperial breakfast stout.
Mouthfeel is younvolicious. You don't get involved with this if you're not hunting down viscosity.
Perfect dessert beer. Southern tier rocks and this is best in genre.

This beer is great, really smells like creme brulee, its has a sweet taste but then it doesn't, the smell is sweet but the beer has a nice stout taste and feel. I put some in a snifter then put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it,and it was great a must try.

A - Pours a rich and thick dark brown to black. Forms a half finger of thick creamy tan head. Leaves nice whispy lacing on the walls of the glass.
S - I can literally smell this two feet away from the bottle as I pour it. These aromas are not faint, they are STRONG like a scented candle. Vanilla, custard, sweetened cream cheese, heavy cream, caramel and butterscotch. Literally the most rich, decadent and delicious smelling beer I've ever smelled.
T - Thjs actually has an AMAZING balance and isn't over the top cloyingly sweet as the aroma would lead you to believe it is. There's a definite strong bitter chocolate and malt upfront when you first sip, more traditional stout Flavors, but then this lends way to absolutely rich vanilla, caramelized lactose sugar, butterscotch and custard. I cannot believe how true to the creme brûlée name this beer stays in both it's flavor and aroma. It truly is liquid creme brûlée.
O - A truly amazing stout that all stout fans MUST try in their lifetime. Ten out of ten, five stars. Amazing.
V - Bought in a single bomber, worth it at any price is say.

Served On Tap at Westover Market Arlington, VA

A: Dark black havoc. Zero foam residue. Pure heaven!

S: ohhh my my my. Sweet sweet malt balls, Vanilla sugar cookies, dark roast Costa Rican coffee beans. Caramelized sugar cane.

T: OMG. OMG.. seriously... OMG... Southern Tier are the masters of Dessert beer!!!
Ready??
Vanilla with caramel swirl ice cream. Toasted Honey bun. Oak Cask. Dark roasted Costa Ricas coffee. Whopping malt balls. Like WHOPPERS candy in a glass!!
The Full creamy dairy milk masks the booze in this utterly delicious brew.

M: Richy creamy medium carbo mouth full. This would be glorious on a nitro tap! Smooth and gum tingling. It really coats the tongue O so well.

O: So amazing. It's so out of this world amazing that it should be held high above all other stouts as WOW... This will knock the socks off anyone who tries it. This is what should be served with my last meal..
Get yours NOW. Today.. Check all beer places. and Buy as many bottles as you can.. Well save some. just get 3.

Only slightly less drinkable than its fall cousin, Pumpking, this beer is a perfect dessert beer or something to drink during a cold night by a fire.

A- Dark as any winter's night, with minimal brown foaming at the top.

S- Creme Brulee. Those crazy bastards did it again, it smells just like you'd expect warm Creme Brulee to, while being cold. For me, someone that bakes, that's AMAZING. I can crack a bottle and people across the room have smelled it. But how does it..

Taste- Exactly as it smells, just like pumpking did. Delicious Vanilla and Caramel overtones, dancing around a coffeelike porter taste. The rich, syrupy taste left on your tongue afterwards reminiscent of hot chocolate syrup. Note, this does not taste like any other beer you'll have, be that good or bad. If you're expecting a traditional imperial stout, this is not the beer for you. This is unique and very rich, creamy, and sweet. Barely a trace of bitterness to be found.

Mouthfeel- Traditional imperial syrupy coating. Not too intrusive, but it's there.

Drinkability- Said it before, I'll say it again. One and done. Considering Southern Tier is a respectable but still pricey 7$ a bottle (on average), do you really want to kill two bottles in a night?

Men, if you have wives or girlfriends, even ones that claim they hate "beer", sneak this to them during a fancy dessert on your anniversary or valentine's day. Assuming they like chocolatey/coffeeish tastes, split this bottle between the two of you over a hot brownie, you may make a beer convert out of them yet.

When my good friend came to town for a surprise visit, I happened to have a bomber bottle of Creme Brulee in the fridge on hand, for I had never tried it. In honor of his joyous if unexpected presence, we cracked it opened, and it was so good that we grabbed another a couple days later. Simply phenomenal.

A lazy pour produced one and one-half fingers of tan foam atop an impenetrable black body. A small, persistent dollop rested atop it like a small scoop of vanilla ice cream that wouldn't melt for much of the duration. Amazing. The smell did not disappoint--rife with vanilla bean, coffee, cocoa, brown sugar. Sterling.

Creme Brulee combines these flavors into a phenomenal concoction--smooth, dense, bold, embodying and defying contradictions all at once. In a sip, one gets vanliia, then sugary coffee, then a whiff of molasses, and some dark chocolate to boot.

I admit to being a huge fan of Southern Tier and therefore am a bit biased, but Creme Brulee blew me away. This was far better than I expected, and I grabbed it expecting it to be very good. So smooth, so rich, so complex, and so accessible.

Stunningly good, nay, great. I could drink this every day. To me, this vaults Southern Tier into my personal top five breweries in the US, hands down. A grand achievement.

Truly like having a glass of dessert; it's amazing how much sweetness, vanilla, and burnt sugar character they are able to put in a glass.

HAd this poured over vanilla ice cream, amazing

4.99/5  rDev +27.6%

i have had a few thousand beers in my day but this one takes the cake as my second favorite beer of all time. if you don't like sweet beer or butterscotch this beer isn't for you. i am a stout guy by the way and i like sweet stouts but any sweeter then this one and its to much. founders big luscious for example is to sweet but this one is on the mark

4.99/5  rDev +27.6%

Been waiting for this to come out for months. I've been warned that it was too sweet but it's not. Smells wonderful, pours a beautiful dark color and tastes even better.

4.98/5  rDev +27.4%

One the best stouts there is.

4.98/5  rDev +27.4%

very sweet, make for a perfect after dinner drink. Got some potently to it.

4.97/5  rDev +27.1%

Served on tap year round at a bar back home. Not overly sweet on taste in my opinion and the smell always makes me feel good. That's when I know I'm home. First beer I ever had at a bar, so maybe I'm a bit biased, but it will always be my favorite. Very thick and very dark, but doesn't have much of a head which is why I docked a bit on look. Alcohol doesn't overpower the variety of flavors which is impressive for a beer that is almost 10%. Maybe not for everyone, but definitely worth a try if you ever find it.

4.97/5  rDev +27.1%

A - Pours a silky black. Possibly some deep deep red tones in there as well. Has a very small very tight mocha colored head that diminishes to a 1-2mm ring.

S - The smell alone won me over. I am getting Butterscotch, caramel, coffee, and vanilla. This is perhaps one of the best smelling beers I have ever drank.

T - As good as it smells. It is sweet, but not too sweet. I am getting espresso, some caramel notes, a very slight roasted barley bite but it is mainly hiding in the backround, not letting this beer become cloyingly sweet. Alcohol is almost completely hiddin. I am very impressed.

M - A great mouthfeel. This beer glides over your tounge. Very silky texture. Carbonation is medium low.

O - A am so glad I decided to try this one out. I am not dissapointed. I am planning to go back and grab a few more bottles to cellar. One of the best sweet stouts I have ever had.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company