1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,236 | Reviews: 1,271 | Show All Ratings:
Matty1918

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

Pours like black motor oil with a thin brown head. Not much lacing or head retention.

Aroma is of vanilla, vanilla and more vanilla with some burnt coffee there too. I'd have to say the aroma was the best part of this beer.

Taste was very sweet and syrupy. Too sweet for me but there is nothing like this out there that I have tasted before.

Glad I got the chance to try this but this is not my cup of tea. Very sweet and you would be hard pressed to drink more than one of these. I shared the bomber with another friend and we had a tough time finishing it. I'll give credit to Southern Tier for brewing this.

09-03-2008 21:13:36 | More by Matty1918
MrDanno96

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Looks like a typical stout in appearance (this is where the similarities end, lol). Dark black, no light gets in. Thin ring of off-white head and some sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Vanilla, sweet sugar, coffee creamer, caramel, creme brulee. Smells nice, but based on the smell I bet this is going to be too sweet...

T: Tastes like French Vanilla flavored coffee. The roasted malts that are typically found in stouts are also there, but in the background. I think this flavor accomplishes what the brewers wanted (a creme brulee flavored beer). That being said, I don't really thing creme brulee and beer go very well together. I don't mind vanilla flavored stouts, but this is just a little too sweet. The balance between sweet and malt/hops is not achieved here.

M: Pretty full bodied. Thick and chewy with a smooth finish.

D: Meh. As I mentioned above, I think this is exactly what the brewers intended - very sweet, creme brulee flavored beer. It's an interesting concept, but in the end I don't think creme brulee and beer have a good future with each other.

11-26-2009 05:37:24 | More by MrDanno96
ZeroSignal

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

A - Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a streak or cherry red; very little dark tan head that retains to the edges and laces nicely

S - Caramelized sugar predominantly, with vanilla and just a hint of coffee...very, very sweet smelling

T&M - Full bodied with very little carbonation. Very thick feeling but smooth. Alcohol is palatable with a defined warmth in the back of the throat. Very sweet; doesn't taste like creme brule per se, but does taste like the caramelized top of the brule. Notes of vanilla with lots of lactic sugar and a bit of coffee. Finish is somewhat sticky, and the sweetness that remains on the palate is almost cloying.

D - Very sweet, high ABV, sticky finish...enjoyable, but this is a one bottle sipper.

08-04-2010 01:36:02 | More by ZeroSignal
Auracom

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Part of my stout tasting on October 22nd, 2011. 2-3 oz. into snifter. We had a good assortment of ST stouts including CB, Jahva, Mokah, and Oat but CB was the only one I bothered to properly review (though Mokah was probably the most well-rounded).

A – Pours a dark brown. Tasting size produced mediocre lacing, and retention broke down to a few minor bubbles.

S – Yup, people are right. Intense couple of notes including butterscotch, caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, and lactose.

T – The actual drink doesn’t vary from the aroma much. It’s a bit less in-your-face and less appealing overall. Vanilla is oddly larger here. Like the few other ST beers I’ve had, it tastes like extract.

M – Appropriate medium body, average carbonation, and lengthy aftertaste.

D – I generally avoid reviewing ST because they are so hit or miss. This beer continues the trend of intense, fun, and inviting aroma but falling short in taste. I’ve never actually ate Crème Brulee but a few of my friends claimed that this beer is truly on-par with the food, so take that for what it’s worth.

10-27-2011 03:32:54 | More by Auracom
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Heard so much about this one, seems to be a polarizing beer. I fell somewhere in the middle.

A- Black-hole, light-sucking darkness comes out of the bottle and dims my lights. Not much of a head of any sort. Pours very syrupy, viscous, and heavy into a wide snifter.

S- Sugar. Candy. Smells of vanilla, cream, caramel, sweet cream coffee, and marshmallows come through. Very intense, for better or for worse.

T- Wow. Sweet doesn't begin to describe it. I can feel my teeth aching. Very tasty, literally like creme brulee in a bottle. Very sugary-sweet, caramelized sugar, and mild cocoa noted. It's tasty.... I don't often say this but this beer needs a pint of water served with it to help break up the intensity.

M- Very thick, syrupy, boozy, a bit hot... a tad bit overboard, but not necessarily in a bad way. I can't picture if this beer would be better or worse if it were tamed a bit. That's not ST's style anyways... intense.

D- Moderate to low. Almost, almost too sweet to drink. The last pint is harder than the first. Takes real determination. I enjoyed it, might buy a bottle again, but would be fine if that was a year from now. A truly imperial beer, and a real eye-opener. Not the tastiest, smoothest, or best... but interesting for sure.

10-20-2009 00:08:43 | More by ShogoKawada
DaBeerDude

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a dark brown/black with minimal head that doesn't last very long. The smell was sweet and reminded me of a melted ice-cream treat with vanilla and caramel.

Honestly a 4 ounce pour of this would be enough as a "sipping desert" - like a cold sweet Starbucks drink with a kick. At 9.5ABV and 25 Plato, it's just what it is.

Overall, just a bit too much for me. I could taste it again and again when I burped. Just got the feeling it ain't done till it's overdone.

09-13-2013 13:18:06 | More by DaBeerDude
icemonkey908

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Picked up a 22 oz bomber of this the other day. Creme brulee stout looked very interesting.

Appearance was jet black with a caramel head. No light came though when held up to the light. The initial smell was exceptionally strong with an overpowering vanilla and caramel taste. The taste was also strong. I think too strong and too sweet. As the beer is consumed the taste becomes too much to handle.

I could see drinking about 4 oz of this as a dessert. The 22 oz I tried to drink proved to be far too much.

08-04-2008 13:03:43 | More by icemonkey908
philbe311

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

A - Small dark tan head at pour... Quickly fades leaving limited lacing... Still black color with red undetones...

S - Holy sweetness Batman... Vanilla... Burnt sugars... Caramel... Whipped cream... Maybe a hint of coffee... Dessert in a glass... Slightly overwhelming...

T - Sweetness and alcohol... Not a great combination... Overpowering vanilla, caramel, and sugar... Alcohol aftermath...

M - Oily and sleek... No carbonation to speak of, but still biting... Something doesn't sit well with me on this one...

D - Ambitious, but slightly too over the top... Definitely an experience all BAs should have, but a novelty brew if ever there was one...

Bottle / Art - Love it... There aren't enough beers that feature cows on the label... Grey label on black bottle is eye catching... Southern Tier has several great bottles...

08-31-2008 00:59:22 | More by philbe311
corby112

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours pitch black with foamy coffee colored head. Aroma of vanilla bean, custard, chocolate and roasted coffee maltiness. Tastes like a sweet desert. Very creamy custard with lots of vanilla and roasted caramel maltiness and some butterscotch. Sweet and roasty with a dry bitter hop finish.

11-20-2008 23:20:12 | More by corby112
DNICE555

Connecticut

On tap at the B

A - Dark brown with an off white head.

S - Smells like desert. A werther's butterscotch candy.

T - Tastes like a werther's butterscotch candy. Not my thing but good for what it is trying to accomplish.

M - Pretty thick, boozy, overwhelmingly sweet.

D - Very interesting beer. I think they may have been able to tone down the sweetness a bit and not have the butterscotch be so overwhelming. I'm not sure even people who enjoy a creme brulee could have more than a small amount off this. I could never finish a full pint or even a 12oz pour for that matter. I'm sure this wasn't made to be a session beer though.

02-02-2010 16:18:09 | More by DNICE555
nrbw23

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

A- Pours black with a thin light brown head with little retention and no lacing.

S- Smells really good. Nice and sweet. Tons of Vanilla and that's all I can smell.

T- I really tried to like this one just couldn't. Again tons of vanilla and it really does taste like cream burlee. Just too sweet for me though.

M- Felt just about right on not too thick.

D- I struggled with the overall sweetness of this one. Smells wonderful.

09-01-2008 21:24:53 | More by nrbw23
zhanson88

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance: Pours out a very dark brown color, almost pitch black in the glass, but not quite. About 1 1/2" of tan head forms, which has nice retention, and pretty much non-existent lacing.

Smell: Tons of vanilla beans right off the bat. It's pretty hard to get past that, to be honest. Once I do, there is some toasted caramel in there, as well as perhaps a bit of roastiness. Smells pretty much exactly like crème brûlée.

Taste: Toasted caramel malts and mild roastiness form on the front end. The middle and back end are dominated by vanilla and custard flavors. Very sweet....borderline too much so.

Mouthfeel/Overall: The body starts off thinner and more prickly with carbonation than I was expecting, but as it warms gets extremely creamy and smooth. Overall, this was an interesting beer to say the least. Very true to the name. I had a bomber to myself, but would have been satisfied with one pour. I would say I'm biased towards maltier, sweeter beers most of the time, but this was a bit much. As I neared the end of the bottle, it got exponentially harder to drink. Adjusted my score accordingly.

09-18-2011 04:39:58 | More by zhanson88
julian89

Georgia

Bottle into snifter.

Appearance: A glorious dark opaque brown pour with a 1 inch caramel brown head. Low level retention but excellent carbonation.

Smell: So much butterscotch, caramel, vanilla and dark sugars it's Creme brulee magic!

Taste: Too too sweet, it's too much. I can only take about 4 ounces of this stuff at a time. It seems like it would be excellent to try poured over some vanilla ice cream. I'm quite surprised that there is no chocolate malt in this.

Mouthfeel: A medium to thick body with excellent carbonation.

Drinkability : It's just two sweet for me to drink much of it. I think Southern Tier got exactly what they wanted for this and I agree it's a great beer, I suppose I'm just not as big of a sweet tooth as I thought I was.

08-06-2012 17:20:18 | More by julian89
axeman9182

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

On tap and served in a goblet at Burp Castle.

Southern Tier's Creme Brulee pours totally black. There's about a finger or so of mocha foam crowning the beer. Head retention is pretty good and there's a decent amount of head retention. The nose has lots of vanilla and some burnt sugar, but not much else and not much in the way of aromas from actual beer. The flavor is a bit of a letdown, as burnt sugar comes to the forefront and is a bit acrid. Vanilla is also still there, and as the beer warms, a little bit of roasty coffee and dark chocolate becomes apparent. The body is nice, full and just a little bit creamy, and paired with a nicely subdued carbonation. Creme Brulee is an interesting idea for a beer, but in execution the flavoring is a bit over the top.

08-22-2012 00:39:34 | More by axeman9182
SaCkErZ9

Thanks to EPseja for this one.

This is kind of a weird, novelty type beer so this one is hard to judge with any style guidlines in mind. With that being said, I am judging based on overall flavor and feel without any consideration for style.

Pours a dark dark brown, almost black color with a tan head. Very creamy and thick out of the 22oz bottle into a white wine glass.

Aroma is basically butterscotch and cream. Flavor is the same. My family makes Buttery Nipple shots for Christmas and this tasted exactly like that (kahlua, butterscotch shnapps, and irish creme liquor). Really sweet and pretty overpowering.

This would be hard to drink alone. I split this with three other family memebers and barely finished mine due to the sweetness and cloyingness. A good dessert beer and somewhat of a novelty. I could see myself drinking this again in the future. Beware of the sweetness and butterscotch in this one!

12-08-2008 22:25:06 | More by SaCkErZ9
currysage1

Maine

Had a large sample of this at the Sierra Grille after work.

Full frothy tan head, very sticky, not enough of a sample to see lacing, dark stained mahogany color, slight rust colored edges.

Smell is strongly of vanilla frosting, not quite the store crap, but certainly no buttercream. I have to say it was overpowering and set me up negatively towards the taste.

Taste made up for the smell, vanilla is certainly in play here as well, but is less aggressive, letting the roastiness out to play. I think that ST has done a good job making a beer/creme brulee hybrid. While not to my taste it is still very high quality. Feel was great for a Double milk stout, not as thin as a normal MS and a little slick.

My advice is to get the half pint if possible unless you want diabetes.

03-05-2009 13:42:10 | More by currysage1
apbarwood

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

Midnight black with a caramel colored, fluffy head. The nose is bursting with sweet creme brulee-esque aromas with vanilla being the brunt of the attack. The taste is the same with flavors of vanilla, whipped cream, caramel, and milk chocolate. A bit much if you ask me. The mouthfeel is sticky and sweet. Extremely so. It tastes to me like somebody pureed some creme brulee and added some alcohol. A 22 oz. bottle seems a bit extreme for this one, a bit much for one person to stomach quite frankly. It's an interesting and unique beer for sure, but not one that I'd recommend unless you're a big fan of sweeter style beers. Maybe split it three ways with some bittersweet chocolate or fruit or something.

12-27-2009 00:50:26 | More by apbarwood
colefsuwr

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

I fear that I went into this one expecting too much. Wonderful smell and look, but upon tasting, I was confused. I didn't know whether they made they beer, and then named it, or visa versa. I can appreciate the mouthfeel, but i feel there is far too much vanilla bean and it overwhelms the palate.

01-14-2010 20:59:40 | More by colefsuwr
Bosoxfan20

Missouri

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A- Poured from bottle into a CCB sniffer. Pours a thin black with just a wisp of a head that only sticks around for just a bit. Moderate lacing. Pretty average looking for the most part.

S- Can smell the vanilla beans from about 2 feet away. Huge butterscotch aroma as well. Brown sugar for days, sweet molasses/maple sugar. Hint of alcohol. I'm not joking on the smell of this one. It is intense. If overpowering was what they were going for, then they hit it on the head. I am very intrigued and worried at the same time. Can't see any way it has any balance.

T- Intense flavors I got from the nose, with some cream and toasted caramel. So sweet it is cloying. Sweet vanilla up front, mellows out some in the finish before and odd, harsh, astringent finish. Balance is off...as expected. Just too much IMO.

M- Seems to have a nice body for the milk stout style. Warmth of alcohol present in the throat, but not too bad. Drinkability suffers because of the harsh sweetness, but the carbonation isn't bad.

O- Just wasn't for me. There is no denying the nose of this beer is intoxicating. I see what they were going for, but they went a bit too far with the butterscotch and sugar and the direction seemed to get lost from there. Honestly, I could always do without butterscotch. Can't knock ST for trying, but I won't be drinking again. I had a tough enough time finishing this bottle.

Bottled on 6/12/13
Consumed on 7/9/13
$8.99 for 22 oz bottle

07-24-2013 05:06:40 | More by Bosoxfan20
mactrail

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

I believe this may be the most outrageously flavored malt beverage I've ever tasted. I won't go so far as to say "beer." Actually, a malt liqueur is exactly what it is. Start with a shot glass or a tiny wine glass of it. Chocolate milk taste, only intensified and scorched, and blended with some kind of blackened malt brew. To say this tastes like vanilla is like saying gulping 151 rum is kind of hot.

It's not totally sweet, it's just that the flavor seems to channel the sugar receptor right to the brain. I suppose this might be good with some equally sweet dessert so you could pretend this is Drambuie. I guess the key to whether you would score this high or not is how much you like that totally sugary sensation, like Mexican candy or Greek preserved fruit. I give it an "N" for Novelty.

Dark brown in color average carbonation in the glass and in the mouth. Some sharp notes which we may thank the carbonation for. Bitter aftertaste adds to the confusion. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Bottleworks in Seattle.

03-30-2014 05:53:51 | More by mactrail
JDV

Bottle from d0b. Thanks!
<BR>
Dear christ, this was a sweet beer. Smell was like butterscotch and Kraft caramel squares. Just like Choklat, this was very, very artificial smelling. Reminded me of Worthers butterscotch candies as well. Nobody in their right mind could drink more than a few ounces of this melted candy disguised as a beer. Very milk, and vanilla like with some light hops that quiver at the onslaught of malt warriors overtaking their feeble vines. They fight valiantly, but the Maltacians rape and pillage their weak cones leaving them tattered, vulnerable and succeptible to disease. The hops are crying and the malts continue to shower them with more sugar bombs, oblivious to their screams. NOOOO!!!! I literally saw a hop cone beheaded by a caramel square that jumped out of this beer with a maltsword. Very artificial and gimmicky and tastes more like melted caramel and vanilla extract that creme brulee. Cloying in the smell alone. What the fuck is going on here?!?!? AHHHH, stop raping my mouth!!! but I sort of liked it in an "I was abused by my parents as a child and now like really creepy men to touch me in innapropriate places" sort of way.

09-06-2008 01:58:38 | More by JDV
AlexJ

2.95/5  rDev -24%

Viscous tar black with a thin but dense mocha head that leaves scant trails of lace.

Aroma has notes of chocolate, dark malt, and minimal roasty char and is absolutely dominated by overpowering sweet caramel and butterscotch notes. The vanilla is there, but simply adds to the intensely sweet hard candy aroma.

Unfortunately the flavor follows the same path. Nice chocolate and dark malt flavors are quickly brutalized by unrelenting butterscotch caramel. No subtleties here and the base stout struggles to be tasted. The bottle only discloses malt, hops, vanilla bean, and lactose as the ingredients. As someone who has brewed numerous vanilla beers I must add that there is a suspiciously artificial taste going on here. Either that or just an insane amount. A fresher sample may have more hop to counter the dessert sweetness.

Thick, creamy slick body and lighter carbonation make for a pleasant mouthfeel. Too bad the cloying butterscotch renders this almost undrinkable after half a glass.

Extremely difficult to finish half the bottle althouth I can appreciate what they were going for. A little over the top and I'm pretty over the top!

02-17-2009 13:37:38 | More by AlexJ
cps98

2.95/5  rDev -24%

A – Pours a deep black color with a single finger mocha colored head that disappears very fast.

S – Smells like candy. Lots of sweet vanilla along with light hints of chocolate.

T – Again the sweetness is present but not as strong as the aroma. Some roasted malt in there which provides small amounts of coffee and chocolate.

M – Light medium bodied which was a surprise because of how dark the beer was. Carbonation was a little lacking.

O – This beer was way too sweet for me. The aroma was over the top and way to candy like. This was a one-time try for me I won’t buy this one again.

02-20-2012 14:07:54 | More by cps98
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

2.95/5  rDev -24%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, dark yellow brown almost black with a short off white head that dissipates leaving little lacing, clear

S: Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, very sweet and malty

T: vanilla, chocolate milk, coco, cream, those bullseye candy things that are all caramel with the white fake milk middle

M: thick and milky, slight alcohol

O: chewy, share with friends, sweet and intense

10-08-2013 01:01:51 | More by M_C_Hampton
Swettenham_Shire

2.95/5  rDev -24%

Bomber poured into pilsner glass. Drank with dessert (banana cream pudding)

Appearance: dark brown color with tan foaming head; minimal lacing
Smell: caramel, milk, vanilla, maybe maple syrup? very sweet... too sweet for my liking
Taste: better than it smells; sweet, but not overbearing. The aftertaste is slightly bitter
Mouthfeel: thick; kind of like coffee with too much cream
Overall: goes together well with desserts like pudding and ice cream, but still too sweet for my taste. It's nice to try unusual brews every once and awhile, but I probably won't seek this one out anymore

04-03-2014 01:39:18 | More by Swettenham_Shire