1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,234 | Reviews: 1,270 | Show All Ratings:
FosterJM

110th review on BA
Bottle to snifter

App- Poured a very dark brown with some rather large glugs for lack of a technical term into the glass. Produced a nice two finger head that lasted for quite some time and had some excellent lacing as well.

Smell- As soon as I popped the cap I was hit with the smell wofting to my nose. Big smells of carmalized sugar, vanilla and cream. It smelled like a dessert just as I was hoping.

Taste- I love the normal creme brulee dessert. I have wanted to try this beer for quite some time and wasn't dissapointed. I loved it was sweet. Some people knock it for that. Why? Its claiming to be a Creme Brulee stout. Thats awesome and they nailed it. Vanilla mixed with a creamy booziness.

Mouth- It was sweet but lush and very well done. It was a medium body with a low carb which allowed flavors to come through and create a great mix.

Drink- I wasn't dissapointed which is great. Some people will love this, some wont. This deserves to be tried as something different that I think people will come to appreciate. Now to trade for another one.

12-15-2010 14:28:01 | More by FosterJM
radioscooter

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

This came recommended from Dave at HO1KB. Since nobody has any of the ST Chokolat stout this year - and that's the best of the Chocolates in my opinion, I thought I'd give this one a whirl.

Pours as a stout should - black with substantial creamy caramel top. The label info is wonderful and lists their recipe, which is very cool. Love the hard-coated-custard history.

Smells outlandishly nice. Just. Like. Creme. Brulee.

Here's the thing, don't bother with this unless you like dark, sweet (but not overly so) toffee, vanilla flavors. Of all the extreme flavored beers, this one truly lives up to the description. Much like their Chocolate Stout does.

It is reminiscent of the Bourbon cask beers, but without the ass-kicking and super alcohol taste. This is just right. Like Baby Bear. For perfect mouthfeel, get a glass that you can force a heavier head and take in some with each sip.

Creamy, Vanilla, Toffee, Coffee, Custard.
Just a delight.

Buying more of this one. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite American breweries.

12-21-2010 04:41:44 | More by radioscooter
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a very dark brown and settles black like most stouts. I had to force the head into accumulation, but what appeared was a luscious tan creme that quickly settled into large bubbles and then promptly disintegrated. It obviously has no interest in retention.

S: Smell is absolutely incredulous: coffee, vanilla, condensed milk, caramel, toffee, hazelnut, it's like a delicious Yankee Candle. I don't even want to drink it, maybe just freeze it and put a wick in it and light it and fall asleep to it in the bathtub with a warm cloth draped over my eyes and Barry White playing in the background.

T/M: Oh, but I will taste it: low to medium carbonation, thick mouthfeel, coffee beans, cocoa, vanilla bean, toffee, caramel, roasted malts, a sliver of hop bitterness in the finish, just unbefreakinglievable.

This is a dessert beer if there ever was one. Add some corn starch and put this in the oven for 30 minutes at 450° and let's make this into a cake already, that's what I'm going to do. No wait, I'm going to pour this into that bathtub I was sitting in while smelling a candle made out of it listening to Barry White serenade me about how delicious it is while I drink it from a gem encrusted chalice. If it were just a bit thicker, I think it would be perfect, but this is the apex of dessert beers as it were.

TheBeerAlmanac.com

09-10-2011 21:42:57 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
LiquidAmber

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a very dark brown, appearing black. One finger fine medium brown head with good retention and lacing. Delicious crème brulee aroma wafts out of the bottle as this is poured. Dark, sweet malt, brown sugar, vanilla aroma, smells delicious. Very sweet, butterscotch, brown sugar, sweet malt and a hint of coffee with a very light hop kick at the end. Very creamy and full bodied. This is a bit sweet, but absolutely delicious.

03-01-2012 05:03:01 | More by LiquidAmber
WesM63

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured into a large CBS snifter

A: Pours a deep dark brown, nearly black with a tiny 1/2 finger mocha head. Minor head retention and lacing.

S: Holy moly, this thing smells like heaven on earth. Vanilla, maybe a hint of coffee and chocolate. The vanilla is huge and beautiful, there is NO hint of alcohol in this what-so-ever.

T: Spot on the nose. HUGE amounts of vanilla, maybe the slightest hint of alcohol, chocolate and coffee.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation.

O: This beer is beyond excellent. I'm not sure how they get away with it, as it tastes nothing of alcohol or even beer. Pure deliciousness. This is one of those beers that lives up to and in some cases exceeds the hype. I want more!!

05-29-2012 01:12:42 | More by WesM63
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

poured a cellar temp bottle into a snifter. The beer pours a deep cola brown hue with fluffy tan head foaming up about 1 cm and fading rather quickly to a sturdy edge layer and wispy island.
Aroma is Very sweet with chocolate, brown sugar, maple syrup, sweet caramel with a bit of roasted note. Very strong nose sweet sugary candy bar or melted chocolate is what I can think of with every whiff.
First sip reveals a very smooth yet kind of thick body with very fine gentle rolling carbonation.
Flavor is as expected....sweet. I get brown sugar and maple syrup mixed with milk chocolate and caramel. No real hint of ABV and definitely no hops to be found in this brew. Drinkability is high and I would do this one again, although splitting the bomber is probably a good idea. This one snuck up on me a little by the end of my glass.
excellent big malty brew with lots of interesting complex flavors!

07-19-2012 02:05:27 | More by sulldaddy
AtrumAnimus

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a wonderfully dark rich color that is black as as bottom of a swamp on a moonless night. The head is moderate, white and leaves a very decent lacing down the sides of the glass.

The nose is superb, this smells like creme brulee, vanilla, ice cream , coffee, chocolate and mmm, mmm good. One of the best smelling beers I have smelt in a very long time.

The taste is remarkable as well. The alcohol is obvious, but not overwhelming. The hops are very present and well balanced with the incredible sweetness of this beer. the flavors just work wonderfully. The vanilla is very strong and dominant. The hops come in under the sweetness and balance out of the palate. This is a fantastic beer.

The mouthfeel is rich and satisfying, a tad heavy, but perfect for winter.

Overall this is an extremely excellent beer and is extremely drinkable. I will absolutely be drinking this one again.

I highly recommend this one.

12-28-2013 03:07:46 | More by AtrumAnimus
RachelSnipes

Alabama

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Hands down, AMAZING! Not my typical kind of beer, but my sister brought it over one night. I was stunned. STUNNED. I'll have to review in more depth when I get my hands on another bottle. The beer store by us says they'll have it sometime this month. It's like waiting for Christmas.

02-03-2014 00:49:06 | More by RachelSnipes
dick783

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a snifter like the bottle suggested. It has a pitch black body and a tan head that doesn't stick around too long. Looks like you'd expect an imperial stout to look. But once you take a whiff of it thats where things change.

It smells sticky of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel. If you close your eyes you'd never think it was beer you were smelling. More like a bowl of ice cream. It says there is hops in this thing, but from the smell of it they could have been using rainbow sprinkles. I don't know if I'm supposed to drink this or get a spoon.

Thank god, it tastes like it smells. Its got a sweet chocolate taste thats coated in vanilla and caramel. This thing is a milk stout on steroids. Even after I swallow I can taste it. Its like my mouth is coated in vanilla candle wax.

As long as you have taste buds you'll enjoy this. Its like no other beer I've ever had. Has to be the best desert beer out there. If you can drink more than one of these though you are my hero. Its a very filling beer. Job well done Southern Tier.

07-15-2008 23:29:27 | More by dick783
Zodijackyl

Connecticut

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

22oz brown bomber poured into a snifter.

Pours black that doesn't let even a tinge of light in around the edges, fine coffee/mocha colored head. Smell is overwhemling, much like creme brulee - vanilla and lactose are dominant, while dark roasted malt and coffee are more in the background.

Taste is mostly in the front of the mouth, smooth but slightly bitter dark malt with medium roast coffee, with the sweet lactose and vanilla beans also prominent. This certainly lives up to its name, as it tastes quite a bit like creme brulee, while it is certainly a beer incarnation of it. Incredible to savor, somewhat sweet and dessert-like. This is exceptional, the only thing it lacks is a back-of-mouth feel, which may be difficult to achieve in such a liquid.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally sweet which balances out the roasted malt bitterness and then some. Moderate-low carbonation. Very drinkable, it is like dessert in a bottle, not something to rush but it is easy to keep drinking.

09-03-2010 00:51:58 | More by Zodijackyl
BigBlacke

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

Where do I start. I poured a bottle of this into my snifter and was speechless.

Without a doubt, the best smelling beer I have ever known. Smells of sweet cream, vanilla, caramel, and roasty coffee. Taste was just as remarkable as smell. Tastes of creme, coffee, caramel, and vanilla coated the palate with a creamy goodness. Sweet but not too sweet. All ingredients compliment each other in perfection. Drinkability suffers just a bit because of its desert like nature. I couldnt drink a whole lot of this at one sitting, but damn I wish I could. Un"F'n"believable. Love it!!!

10-11-2010 22:34:02 | More by BigBlacke

B+!?!?!?!??!??!
Are you kidding?
This beer has
The Appearance: Nice glossy black coat
The Smell: Holy CRAP!!! AMAZING!
The Taste: OMFG!!! I wanna make sweet love to this beer! It just took the creme brulee I split with my fiance after my bday steak and made a beer child out of it. That's right it F@C& my creme brulee and made some weird/awesome F@(K trophy. This is the most excited my tongue has ever been. Even more excited than prom night!!!
Mouthfeel: I'm busy, stop asking questions!
The Overall: GO BUY A CASE!!!

08-03-2011 05:08:00 | More by bradcochran1234
xShoWTeKx

South Carolina

4.76/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013

A: Black as night with a large mocha head, leaves light lacing.

S: Absolutely amazing strong vanilla almost butterscotch smell with a fairly strong alcohol presence.

T: Follows smell perfectly with a very strong butterscotch/vanilla/caramel taste and a fairly strong alcohol finish.

M: Full bodied, creamy, a rather large carbonation for a stout but very good, and a mildly dry finish.

O: This is what a stout should be a sweet dessert beer, I absolutely love it and will absolutely be getting it again.

07-15-2013 05:10:03 | More by xShoWTeKx
mirdreams

Delicious.

Opens with a very full, sweet smell, like sniffing a Creme Brulee scented Yankee Candle. Not a lot of head, just a deep dark snifter full of gorgeousness. First sip is a smooth, velvety richness, just like the desert it's imitating. A little malt lingers behind to remind you that it's beer, not really the liquid desert the waitress claimed it. She suggested half pints because it's so very sweet and at 10%, big. But I could have happily drank a pint, and rotted my teeth out.

Going into my top three, along with Ommegang's Chocolate Indulgence and Lindeman's Framboise.

07-17-2008 17:45:03 | More by mirdreams
drjamyma

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

I don't review beers often, nor have I been on B.A. for a while. I just had to say something about this beer. When I heard about milk stouts years ago I envisioned a beer that tasted like this one. Every other Milk stout in comparison is an utter failure (ha just trying to sound like a beer snob). Seriously though, excellent tasty beer. To the point where your questioning whether or not it's really a beer... Kinda like the first time I had a rasberry or fruit beer.

I only had a 3 oz. serving of it at a place called Bukowskis in boston. It was considered desert. And no complaints. I'm not sure if I could finish a pint of this. But I'm going to try because I found a lone bottle of it at blanchards today on my way back from work.

I'm stoked. Even more stoked that it's now almost 7 and an acceptable time to start drinking this fine beverage. Excellent.

Cheers.

07-29-2008 22:56:29 | More by drjamyma
dsa7783

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Bottle just purchased from Super Saver Liquors on Route 22 for $7.49...
Pours a deep, dark, jet-black, ebony hue with hardly any head and very minimal lacing...
As far as aroma is concerned, I challenge you to find any beer that can more accurately replicate the sugar-sweet, milk and malt laden, creme brulee aroma that the name suggests... Absolutely unbelievable, heavenly smell...
Taste, likewise, stood up to the bold aroma, with deep, dark nuances of milk chocolate, roasted malts, sweet cream, and dulce de leche...
Creamy, thick, rich mouthfeel along with an awesome level of drinkability for a 10% brew...
Excellent stuff...
Recommended...

08-02-2008 21:16:45 | More by dsa7783
brewdlyhooked13

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance - pours very dark; held up to strong light it shows a brownish ruby. Thin foam, light mocha in color, and not hanging around for long but sticking with a nice collar. Doesn't lace at all, too bad.

Aroma - this smells like a dessert my son and I made last year for his culture assignment. It's called dulce de leche (caramel cream). Bascially heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla bean. The sweetest of sweet aromas, I dig it.

Taste - caramel malts are flavored early by the vanilla, like butterscotch candy. Roasted malts play a minor part but they are there. Nutty, coffee notes on the swallow, a nice blend of warm alcohol melding things together. The aftertaste has a drying smack of hops but not near enough to counter the high sugar effect of this brew. Finishes warm in the belly with flavors of caramel, vanilla, and roasted malt.

Mouthfeel - not especially smooth, but smooth. A touch under-carbonated to allow for a more dessert style intent.

Drinkability - I love the sweet beers and this is no exception. Wouldn't mind having another one of these for Halloween, it would be the ultimate beer candy on the 'candiest' night of the year. Major kudos to the good folks at Hyde Park W&S for hooking me up with a bottle of this earlier in the year. An ideal night to enjoy it as we have snow flurries in the forecast for the first time this season, the World Series has its first ever suspended game, and I mourn the loss of a treasured Beer & Sweat beer glass. It was a freebie but a member of the family nonetheless. Cheers to good beer, good baseball, and the remaining barful of glassware brotherhood left to carry on the sampling/reviewing tradition. Prosit!

10-28-2008 04:06:01 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Lupe

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours a deep brown, almost black, that is capped by a cocoa colored small head. Not much of a head, so not much retention and little lace - as expected in a higher abv beer.

With the first sniff you realize those crazy guys upstate hit it out of the park again. Loads of vanilla, caramel, and cream. Roasted character sneaks in adding hazelnut coffee. Wow this is one enticing aroma - it smells like dessert.

Flavor leads with creme brulee - vanilla, caramel, and cream. Like the aroma, coffee steps up next followed by some mild alcohol. Taste is like Frangelico spiked coffee. A little milk chocolate finishes things off. Just a ridiculous flavor.

Full bodied, smooth, rich, and satisfying. Not to drink with dessert - this is dessert. A real sipper that dares you to come back for more. The alcohol is not upfront, but is not hard to find. The fullness alone keeps drinkability down a bit, but you will want more.

Exactly what you would want/expect from something labeled Creme Brulee, and that alone makes this a special beer.

12-22-2008 01:27:57 | More by Lupe
beerthulhu

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

A: Poured a very dark ruby when held to the light, a dark rich heresy chocolate color in the glass. A frothy 2 finger head sits atop with moderate retention, dark khaki in color, while leaving sparse thin columns for a lacing.

S: The nose was by far one of the most enticing aspects of not only this drink, but probably any drink I ever encountered. A huge rich sweetness of heresy chocolate and vanilla bean are emitted that can be detected from clear across the table, maybe even the room. Like a freshly brewed baby ruth cappuccino with frothy whipped milk and marshmallows this is truly one beer I could sit and smell all day. It is overly sweet but down right ridiculously good, rich, very rewarding and nothing short of a perfect score here.

T: The flavor certainly did not disappoint with regards to a perfect nose delivering nothing less then a stellar performance as well. Rich sweet heresy chocolate with some whipped frothy milk starts things off. Some dark sweetly roasted coffee with vanilla beans soon follow complimenting and providing a nice bridge leading to the middle of the palate where fresh ripe and dark juicy fruit (dates and plums) add to the mixture. The Columbus hops add a soft pungent flowery bitterness (think hop ottin for a prime example) that gently tries to tame the dessert type nature of this drink. The finish finds a beautiful fade of black licorice, some caramelized cane sugar sweetness and a touch of sweetened rum alcohol adding some spicness. Honestly fail to see how you could improve on the nose and flavor here. There is a nice alcohol warming that gently prevents the beer from ending to sweetly and thus adding complexity and a nice finish of warm hot cocoa.

M: slick and lusciously smooth, light in body and with a very flat carbonation presence. A nice slick feel, though maybe a little lighter then anticipated.

D: An incredible drink and probably one of the best per style ive tasted with Lancasters milk stout a close second. Only the 10.0% abv and sweet dessert type nature prevents this from going down any smoother then it already could. Enjoyment was near perfect, second to none. My only parting words would be that this beer seems a bit to sweet and potent to be bottled in a bomber for one serving. This would be best shared with a friend. Consuming a whole bottle by ones self is like eating dinner then having a whole german chocolate cake for desert, a bit overkill volume wise, but there are some of us who cant deny that sweet chocolately calling.

08-10-2009 22:32:41 | More by beerthulhu
bgildea

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

A: Nice dark almost black brown, with a slight plum hue. Slight head that sticks around for a little while. Mild lacing as well.

S: Smells delicious!!! A nice strong sweet vanilla flavor comes across immediately with some nice caramel in the background. Great aroma that makes me want to drink it ASAP.

T: A very complex flavor. First you taste the sweet vanilla flavor. Then the caramel hits you. It finishes with a nice roasted malts after taste. The three principle flavors work very well together and illustrate how the sum is greater than the individual parts.

M: A nice chewy consistency for this milk stout.

D: Extremely drinkable. Great tasting beer that will bring me back for more. I could drink these all night.

Overall: Phenomenal beer! Everything about this beer is great. The taste is amazing, I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone and everyone. The 10% alcohol content is also a plus. You'll enjoy drinking these all night and probably get a nice little buzz out of it too.

03-17-2010 23:34:13 | More by bgildea
paxkey

Ontario (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

pours black with small dark head that dissipates quick and there is some sticky lacing.

the smell is exquisite in its desertlike scintilation. it smells like candy in a glass.

tastes on par with the smell. sweet syruppy and delicious. no alcohol taste but a great warming from the 10% kicks in quickly.

12-08-2010 00:42:00 | More by paxkey
azdback

Arizona

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured into a snifter. Dark and pitch black in color. Highlights are just as black, but I get just a sliver of light at the bottom of this. Head was barely one finger and light coco colored. The lace seems to stick now but we'll see. Does stick initially but fades quickly.

This is the sweetest beer that I've ever smelled. Not a bad thing though (at least not to me). In no particular order I get these aromas. Dulce de leche, Brach's soft chewy caramel cubes, those little yellow butterscotch hard candies. There is some coffee and absolutely no alcohol at all. Buried in a pile of sugar I guess?

Taste is at first charred wood or maybe the outer charred skin of a marshmallow that became that way over a campfire. All the smells I got from this, translate directly to the taste. Burnt sugar, caramel, butterscotch and maybe just a bit of vanilla. The ultra roasted malts also give me some coffee and some bitterness. I now know how I will become a billionaire. Make hard candy that tastes just like this. But wait, if you order in the next 15 minutes, we will include the car air freshener that smells the same.

Mouth is rich and luscious. Full and sweet to the end. This isn't your average Double Stout, by any means, but it does have the mouth of one.

Overall, I don't care at all that I am going to rate this beer way higher than the highly experienced raters. I think this beer is very sweet, but in my opinion it is not a weakness at all. This is what the beer is. Um?? Creme Brulee?? Ever eaten one? This is an exceptional brew, if you don't want an extremely sweet beer don't try this one. Thanks to davesway10 for this masterpiece. This one needs it's own style. Imperial Dessert Stout. All 5's there!!

09-18-2011 06:53:51 | More by azdback
Nyzuma

Wisconsin

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just opened a 2010 bottle and have to totally disagree with the cellaring recommendation, wish I would have waited longer, this beer is extraordinary. Has mellowed a bit since 2010 all for the better. Just glad I still have one bottle of this vintage in the cellar. Three years is definitely not too long to cellar.

11-09-2013 01:41:22 | More by Nyzuma
Kuaff

Alaska

4.74/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have here a beer dubbed "Creme Brulee" sitting in my snifter at cellar temperature. It's 9.5% ABV, and NOT the 9.6% listed on this site (how DARE they mistake the ABV by a tenth of a percentage point!).

A fairly fast-fleeting head of about two fingers. It was the tan hue of golden brown sugar. The color is black with a tiny bit of murky brown around the edges.

I take a sniff of this milk stout... and I realize that it's one of those beers that not only smells GOOD, but unlike any other beer I've had. Butterscotch, vanilla, and that candy corn that you get around Halloween all come through STRONG in the scent. I can smell it when it's a foot or two away from my nose. There might be a little maple syrup and bourbon in the aroma as well, and also an indescrbably fruity character... It smells SWEET. Damn, that's good.

The taste brings forth what the scent promised, although not quite as much sweetness. It's a rich, flavorful blend of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel. Like burnt sugar, really. An aptly-named beverage be this, and one what briefly causes me to talk in the manner of a pirate for no apparent reason. True to its style, this is both milky and sweet, but not TOO sweet. Aye, not for me, anyhow. There's an unmistakable likeness to toasted marshmallow in the flavor, and a woody, ashy, roasty earthiness in the finish... a superb stout finish that wraps up an impeccable flavor profile.

The feel? Awesome, like every other Southern Tier offering I've been privileged enough to try. Stunningly, supremely syrupy and sticky, and creamy like custard. I loooove it. Is it weird that a drink what which drinks kinda like molasses is so very drinkable to me?

This one explores the uncharted waters of stout-brewing territory and reaps gloriously unique and resplendent rewards.

09-08-2013 02:01:04 | More by Kuaff
martyl1000

Wisconsin

4.73/5  rDev +21.9%

OMG. I don't care what anyone says about this being the Disneyland of beer, I f-ing love it. Granted, the sweet cream and vanilla are a bit over the top. But I do love me a sweet double stout.

With all the exaggerated names in beer--"pie", "cake", etc.--I assumed this one was like all the rest, all hyperbole and disappointment. But this, this is real. Believe the hype.

The aroma has the buttery caramel put in mind by the tan, rocky head. One can't say enough about this aroma -- it's like an Octapus Car Wash employee has squirted the "vanilla" fragrance into the vat of this brew.

One could say it's sickeningly sweet, that is, if this beer weren't so delicious. Holy bejeezums. This one has shot to near the top of my all-time list. the only drawback is the sugar-sweet is just a bit too pronounced.

Two months ago I came within five minutes of getting this on tap at Dexter's Pub during Mad Craft Beer Week. I'm so lucky to find this on the shelves, today, so far into summer. Thank you Star Liquor!!!

06-13-2012 02:13:39 | More by martyl1000