Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,373 | Hads: 4,250
4.8/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

APPEARANCE: A half-inch of egg shell colored head sits atop a straight up black beer. It pours like motor oil and almost no light gets through this.

SMELL: Imagine smelling creme brulee and you can pretty much imagine this smell. Spot on, except along with the vanilla and huge caramel smell is a touch of raspberry. This smell amazing.

TASTE: The taste is basically exactly the same as the smell. Intense vanilla along with that same, huge caramel flavor. A hint of berry and a touch of coffee provide some complexity along with just a hint of Columbus hops to provide balance.

MOUTHFEEL: Smooth, silky and creamy. This beer has an enormous body and is thick and mouthcoating, as I would have expected from that motor oil pour.

OVERALL: Exceptional. This has instantly become a favorite, one of the better beers I've had. Perfect as a dessert beer. Yes, it is pretty sweet, but that's what this beer is meant to be. Very well done, Southern Tier.

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

22oz brown bomber poured into a snifter.

Pours black that doesn't let even a tinge of light in around the edges, fine coffee/mocha colored head. Smell is overwhemling, much like creme brulee - vanilla and lactose are dominant, while dark roasted malt and coffee are more in the background.

Taste is mostly in the front of the mouth, smooth but slightly bitter dark malt with medium roast coffee, with the sweet lactose and vanilla beans also prominent. This certainly lives up to its name, as it tastes quite a bit like creme brulee, while it is certainly a beer incarnation of it. Incredible to savor, somewhat sweet and dessert-like. This is exceptional, the only thing it lacks is a back-of-mouth feel, which may be difficult to achieve in such a liquid.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally sweet which balances out the roasted malt bitterness and then some. Moderate-low carbonation. Very drinkable, it is like dessert in a bottle, not something to rush but it is easy to keep drinking.

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a very dark brown, appearing black. One finger fine medium brown head with good retention and lacing. Delicious crème brulee aroma wafts out of the bottle as this is poured. Dark, sweet malt, brown sugar, vanilla aroma, smells delicious. Very sweet, butterscotch, brown sugar, sweet malt and a hint of coffee with a very light hop kick at the end. Very creamy and full bodied. This is a bit sweet, but absolutely delicious.

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%

poured a cellar temp bottle into a snifter. The beer pours a deep cola brown hue with fluffy tan head foaming up about 1 cm and fading rather quickly to a sturdy edge layer and wispy island.
Aroma is Very sweet with chocolate, brown sugar, maple syrup, sweet caramel with a bit of roasted note. Very strong nose sweet sugary candy bar or melted chocolate is what I can think of with every whiff.
First sip reveals a very smooth yet kind of thick body with very fine gentle rolling carbonation.
Flavor is as expected....sweet. I get brown sugar and maple syrup mixed with milk chocolate and caramel. No real hint of ABV and definitely no hops to be found in this brew. Drinkability is high and I would do this one again, although splitting the bomber is probably a good idea. This one snuck up on me a little by the end of my glass.
excellent big malty brew with lots of interesting complex flavors!

110th review on BA
Bottle to snifter

App- Poured a very dark brown with some rather large glugs for lack of a technical term into the glass. Produced a nice two finger head that lasted for quite some time and had some excellent lacing as well.

Smell- As soon as I popped the cap I was hit with the smell wofting to my nose. Big smells of carmalized sugar, vanilla and cream. It smelled like a dessert just as I was hoping.

Taste- I love the normal creme brulee dessert. I have wanted to try this beer for quite some time and wasn't dissapointed. I loved it was sweet. Some people knock it for that. Why? Its claiming to be a Creme Brulee stout. Thats awesome and they nailed it. Vanilla mixed with a creamy booziness.

Mouth- It was sweet but lush and very well done. It was a medium body with a low carb which allowed flavors to come through and create a great mix.

Drink- I wasn't dissapointed which is great. Some people will love this, some wont. This deserves to be tried as something different that I think people will come to appreciate. Now to trade for another one.

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%

This came recommended from Dave at HO1KB. Since nobody has any of the ST Chokolat stout this year - and that's the best of the Chocolates in my opinion, I thought I'd give this one a whirl.

Pours as a stout should - black with substantial creamy caramel top. The label info is wonderful and lists their recipe, which is very cool. Love the hard-coated-custard history.

Smells outlandishly nice. Just. Like. Creme. Brulee.

Here's the thing, don't bother with this unless you like dark, sweet (but not overly so) toffee, vanilla flavors. Of all the extreme flavored beers, this one truly lives up to the description. Much like their Chocolate Stout does.

It is reminiscent of the Bourbon cask beers, but without the ass-kicking and super alcohol taste. This is just right. Like Baby Bear. For perfect mouthfeel, get a glass that you can force a heavier head and take in some with each sip.

Creamy, Vanilla, Toffee, Coffee, Custard.
Just a delight.

Buying more of this one. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite American breweries.

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a very dark brown and settles black like most stouts. I had to force the head into accumulation, but what appeared was a luscious tan creme that quickly settled into large bubbles and then promptly disintegrated. It obviously has no interest in retention.

S: Smell is absolutely incredulous: coffee, vanilla, condensed milk, caramel, toffee, hazelnut, it's like a delicious Yankee Candle. I don't even want to drink it, maybe just freeze it and put a wick in it and light it and fall asleep to it in the bathtub with a warm cloth draped over my eyes and Barry White playing in the background.

T/M: Oh, but I will taste it: low to medium carbonation, thick mouthfeel, coffee beans, cocoa, vanilla bean, toffee, caramel, roasted malts, a sliver of hop bitterness in the finish, just unbefreakinglievable.

This is a dessert beer if there ever was one. Add some corn starch and put this in the oven for 30 minutes at 450° and let's make this into a cake already, that's what I'm going to do. No wait, I'm going to pour this into that bathtub I was sitting in while smelling a candle made out of it listening to Barry White serenade me about how delicious it is while I drink it from a gem encrusted chalice. If it were just a bit thicker, I think it would be perfect, but this is the apex of dessert beers as it were.

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured into a large CBS snifter

A: Pours a deep dark brown, nearly black with a tiny 1/2 finger mocha head. Minor head retention and lacing.

S: Holy moly, this thing smells like heaven on earth. Vanilla, maybe a hint of coffee and chocolate. The vanilla is huge and beautiful, there is NO hint of alcohol in this what-so-ever.

T: Spot on the nose. HUGE amounts of vanilla, maybe the slightest hint of alcohol, chocolate and coffee.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation.

O: This beer is beyond excellent. I'm not sure how they get away with it, as it tastes nothing of alcohol or even beer. Pure deliciousness. This is one of those beers that lives up to and in some cases exceeds the hype. I want more!!

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

Where do I start. I poured a bottle of this into my snifter and was speechless.

Without a doubt, the best smelling beer I have ever known. Smells of sweet cream, vanilla, caramel, and roasty coffee. Taste was just as remarkable as smell. Tastes of creme, coffee, caramel, and vanilla coated the palate with a creamy goodness. Sweet but not too sweet. All ingredients compliment each other in perfection. Drinkability suffers just a bit because of its desert like nature. I couldnt drink a whole lot of this at one sitting, but damn I wish I could. Un"F'n"believable. Love it!!!

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Are you kidding?
This beer has
The Appearance: Nice glossy black coat
The Smell: Holy CRAP!!! AMAZING!
The Taste: OMFG!!! I wanna make sweet love to this beer! It just took the creme brulee I split with my fiance after my bday steak and made a beer child out of it. That's right it F@C& my creme brulee and made some weird/awesome F@(K trophy. This is the most excited my tongue has ever been. Even more excited than prom night!!!
Mouthfeel: I'm busy, stop asking questions!
The Overall: GO BUY A CASE!!!

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

Hands down, AMAZING! Not my typical kind of beer, but my sister brought it over one night. I was stunned. STUNNED. I'll have to review in more depth when I get my hands on another bottle. The beer store by us says they'll have it sometime this month. It's like waiting for Christmas.

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a snifter like the bottle suggested. It has a pitch black body and a tan head that doesn't stick around too long. Looks like you'd expect an imperial stout to look. But once you take a whiff of it thats where things change.

It smells sticky of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel. If you close your eyes you'd never think it was beer you were smelling. More like a bowl of ice cream. It says there is hops in this thing, but from the smell of it they could have been using rainbow sprinkles. I don't know if I'm supposed to drink this or get a spoon.

Thank god, it tastes like it smells. Its got a sweet chocolate taste thats coated in vanilla and caramel. This thing is a milk stout on steroids. Even after I swallow I can taste it. Its like my mouth is coated in vanilla candle wax.

As long as you have taste buds you'll enjoy this. Its like no other beer I've ever had. Has to be the best desert beer out there. If you can drink more than one of these though you are my hero. Its a very filling beer. Job well done Southern Tier.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a snifter.
A - Black like oil. Minimal head that disappears quickly.
S - Fantastic aroma! Caramel, vanilla and coffee and other sweet things I can't think of right now.
T - This may be my favorite desert beer. A sweet stout pushed over the edge with caramel and vanilla with a touch of coffee. And then you feel a bit of alcohol burn that reminds you are NOT at Starbucks or Dairy Queen.
M - Medium mouth feel, low carbonation.
O - One of my favorite beers, and certainly my favorite milk stout. I could drink this all the time.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

This was wonderful! Great head.
Tasted like chocolate cake. I will buy this again. It has been awhile since I had this and have not found it locally again.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Opens with a very full, sweet smell, like sniffing a Creme Brulee scented Yankee Candle. Not a lot of head, just a deep dark snifter full of gorgeousness. First sip is a smooth, velvety richness, just like the desert it's imitating. A little malt lingers behind to remind you that it's beer, not really the liquid desert the waitress claimed it. She suggested half pints because it's so very sweet and at 10%, big. But I could have happily drank a pint, and rotted my teeth out.

Going into my top three, along with Ommegang's Chocolate Indulgence and Lindeman's Framboise.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Southern tier Creme brûlée imp stout

A - poured into a pint glass, poured looked thick, minimal head, really only around the edge and some sparsness through the middle - dark and inviting, love the viscous pour

S - smells of vanilla and caramel, milk chocolate

T - little surprised here, think I am tasting hops right off the bat and then it fades to (this is not a bad thing) vanilla/caramel, great lasting flavor

M - nice on the tongue, smooth going over then dries out after the beer has passed the point of no return

D - love this beer, def in my top 10 at the moment, surprised by the hops, but it fits well - I will be getting this again soon

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Your experience of this beer may depend considerably on context. Let me explain:

The first time I had this beer I was with 6 people and we were spending an evening tasting extreme beers and strong cheeses. We worked up to some very flavorful brews prior to opening the Creme Brulee Stout. I can't remember what cheese we happened to have at the time, but it was perfect. Honestly, I thought this was the best beer I had ever tasted.

Now fast forward a bit: I bought several bottles for friends, and more for myself. The next time I had it, my wife (who had also loved it on the "introductory night") and I opened a bottle to sip by itself as we planned to have a relaxed evening together. After our first sip, we both looked at each other and said "What were we thinking?!" It was hard to even swallow a few sips -- like trying to drink some type of super sweet syrup. Yeech!

We had already bought more bottles, so for the next one we decided to have some unique and very flavorful cheesecake. The first half of the bottle was again among the finest we had ever had. However, we could not finish the entire bottle (it kept quite well re-capped for a few days, however).

This is definitely an extreme beer, with intense flavor and considerable sweetness. If you attempt to drink it by itself, or if you are planning to drink much of it, I think you will be quite disappointed. However, if you either build up to it with other extreme beers prior to drinking it -- and / or if you pair it with extreme food (rich, cheesy, and sweet), you may just find that this beer gives you a totally resplendent and unforgettable evening. So, my rating is assuming that you follow the above precautions and don't plan to have more than about 1/6 of the bottle for yourself that night. Otherwise, you are likely to rate this beer a 2 or below...

I hope this helps you to enjoy one of the most unique and flavorful beers on the market. And I do believe that the quality of the ingredients used must be outstanding.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just opened a 2010 bottle and have to totally disagree with the cellaring recommendation, wish I would have waited longer, this beer is extraordinary. Has mellowed a bit since 2010 all for the better. Just glad I still have one bottle of this vintage in the cellar. Three years is definitely not too long to cellar.

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%

I don't review beers often, nor have I been on B.A. for a while. I just had to say something about this beer. When I heard about milk stouts years ago I envisioned a beer that tasted like this one. Every other Milk stout in comparison is an utter failure (ha just trying to sound like a beer snob). Seriously though, excellent tasty beer. To the point where your questioning whether or not it's really a beer... Kinda like the first time I had a rasberry or fruit beer.

I only had a 3 oz. serving of it at a place called Bukowskis in boston. It was considered desert. And no complaints. I'm not sure if I could finish a pint of this. But I'm going to try because I found a lone bottle of it at blanchards today on my way back from work.

I'm stoked. Even more stoked that it's now almost 7 and an acceptable time to start drinking this fine beverage. Excellent.

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Poured a very dark ruby when held to the light, a dark rich heresy chocolate color in the glass. A frothy 2 finger head sits atop with moderate retention, dark khaki in color, while leaving sparse thin columns for a lacing.

S: The nose was by far one of the most enticing aspects of not only this drink, but probably any drink I ever encountered. A huge rich sweetness of heresy chocolate and vanilla bean are emitted that can be detected from clear across the table, maybe even the room. Like a freshly brewed baby ruth cappuccino with frothy whipped milk and marshmallows this is truly one beer I could sit and smell all day. It is overly sweet but down right ridiculously good, rich, very rewarding and nothing short of a perfect score here.

T: The flavor certainly did not disappoint with regards to a perfect nose delivering nothing less then a stellar performance as well. Rich sweet heresy chocolate with some whipped frothy milk starts things off. Some dark sweetly roasted coffee with vanilla beans soon follow complimenting and providing a nice bridge leading to the middle of the palate where fresh ripe and dark juicy fruit (dates and plums) add to the mixture. The Columbus hops add a soft pungent flowery bitterness (think hop ottin for a prime example) that gently tries to tame the dessert type nature of this drink. The finish finds a beautiful fade of black licorice, some caramelized cane sugar sweetness and a touch of sweetened rum alcohol adding some spicness. Honestly fail to see how you could improve on the nose and flavor here. There is a nice alcohol warming that gently prevents the beer from ending to sweetly and thus adding complexity and a nice finish of warm hot cocoa.

M: slick and lusciously smooth, light in body and with a very flat carbonation presence. A nice slick feel, though maybe a little lighter then anticipated.

D: An incredible drink and probably one of the best per style ive tasted with Lancasters milk stout a close second. Only the 10.0% abv and sweet dessert type nature prevents this from going down any smoother then it already could. Enjoyment was near perfect, second to none. My only parting words would be that this beer seems a bit to sweet and potent to be bottled in a bomber for one serving. This would be best shared with a friend. Consuming a whole bottle by ones self is like eating dinner then having a whole german chocolate cake for desert, a bit overkill volume wise, but there are some of us who cant deny that sweet chocolately calling.

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%

pours black with small dark head that dissipates quick and there is some sticky lacing.

the smell is exquisite in its desertlike scintilation. it smells like candy in a glass.

tastes on par with the smell. sweet syruppy and delicious. no alcohol taste but a great warming from the 10% kicks in quickly.

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a deep brown, almost black, that is capped by a cocoa colored small head. Not much of a head, so not much retention and little lace - as expected in a higher abv beer.

With the first sniff you realize those crazy guys upstate hit it out of the park again. Loads of vanilla, caramel, and cream. Roasted character sneaks in adding hazelnut coffee. Wow this is one enticing aroma - it smells like dessert.

Flavor leads with creme brulee - vanilla, caramel, and cream. Like the aroma, coffee steps up next followed by some mild alcohol. Taste is like Frangelico spiked coffee. A little milk chocolate finishes things off. Just a ridiculous flavor.

Full bodied, smooth, rich, and satisfying. Not to drink with dessert - this is dessert. A real sipper that dares you to come back for more. The alcohol is not upfront, but is not hard to find. The fullness alone keeps drinkability down a bit, but you will want more.

Exactly what you would want/expect from something labeled Creme Brulee, and that alone makes this a special beer.

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%

Bottle just purchased from Super Saver Liquors on Route 22 for $7.49...
Pours a deep, dark, jet-black, ebony hue with hardly any head and very minimal lacing...
As far as aroma is concerned, I challenge you to find any beer that can more accurately replicate the sugar-sweet, milk and malt laden, creme brulee aroma that the name suggests... Absolutely unbelievable, heavenly smell...
Taste, likewise, stood up to the bold aroma, with deep, dark nuances of milk chocolate, roasted malts, sweet cream, and dulce de leche...
Creamy, thick, rich mouthfeel along with an awesome level of drinkability for a 10% brew...
Excellent stuff...

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%

Appearance - pours very dark; held up to strong light it shows a brownish ruby. Thin foam, light mocha in color, and not hanging around for long but sticking with a nice collar. Doesn't lace at all, too bad.

Aroma - this smells like a dessert my son and I made last year for his culture assignment. It's called dulce de leche (caramel cream). Bascially heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla bean. The sweetest of sweet aromas, I dig it.

Taste - caramel malts are flavored early by the vanilla, like butterscotch candy. Roasted malts play a minor part but they are there. Nutty, coffee notes on the swallow, a nice blend of warm alcohol melding things together. The aftertaste has a drying smack of hops but not near enough to counter the high sugar effect of this brew. Finishes warm in the belly with flavors of caramel, vanilla, and roasted malt.

Mouthfeel - not especially smooth, but smooth. A touch under-carbonated to allow for a more dessert style intent.

Drinkability - I love the sweet beers and this is no exception. Wouldn't mind having another one of these for Halloween, it would be the ultimate beer candy on the 'candiest' night of the year. Major kudos to the good folks at Hyde Park W&S for hooking me up with a bottle of this earlier in the year. An ideal night to enjoy it as we have snow flurries in the forecast for the first time this season, the World Series has its first ever suspended game, and I mourn the loss of a treasured Beer & Sweat beer glass. It was a freebie but a member of the family nonetheless. Cheers to good beer, good baseball, and the remaining barful of glassware brotherhood left to carry on the sampling/reviewing tradition. Prosit!

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Creamy and sweet, this beer isn't for everyone. One would have to rank it in its own category. For what it is - a delicious stout that actually tastes like Creme Brule - its very close to perfect.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company