Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,369 | Hads: 4,231
4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

This was an impulse buy for me, as I really wanted more of ST's 2X Rye, but my local bottle shop (LBS) was out. At $9 for a 22-oz. bottle, the Creme Brulee isn't cheap, but sometimes you have to live a little, right?

After cracking the top and pouring out a glass, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to like this. The vanilla is NOT a background taste, you can smell it while pouring. But, I figured there is enough "coffee" and "chocolate" in stouts, so how bad can vanilla be?

Turns out, pretty dang good. You won't be pounding this brew, as both the heavy creamyness as well as the high ABV content make that a bad idea, but as an evening sipper, I found it quite enjoyable.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pours jet black like most stouts, with very little lacing but good carbonation and persistent bubbling to the top.

S: What an awesome smell. Exactly as advertised. I get hints of toffee, caramel, malt, and definitely vanilla.

T: Tastes exactly as advertised too. I honestly can't believe they made a beer taste very similarly to a creme brulee, but they did it. Vanilla, caramel, cinnamon, star anise, custard, etc. The whole nine yards.

M: Light carbonation and surprisingly slick for a stout. Goes down smoothly and is a good draught.

O: This beer is simple: If you want a creme brulee flavored beer, this hits the mark EXACTLY. If you like creme brulee, you'll like this beer. If you're looking for something beyond that, look elsewhere.

However, even if you're looking for creme brulee, this one is a sipper and it's hard to get through more than a few ounces. Share the bomber.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer had the usual appearance of a stout nice tan/light brown head . The first smell caught me off guard with a big wiff of dessert like sweetness . The taste backed up the smell "wholely dessert batman" this is the ultimate after dinner beer . Mouthfeel was very heavy close to syrup like but great for a dessert type sipping beer . The drinkability was good but with the alcohol level and heavyness it brought down the drinkability

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a stout glass

A: Pours a dark black with a finger or so of creamy head that fades quickly leaving little lacing behind

S: Big aroma on this one!! Huge vanilla notes, butterscotch, caramel. Aptly names brew

T: Not as sweet as it smells which was a blessing because I wouldn't have been able to drink it. Real nice actually. The caramel and vanilla hit me right off the bat but seem to fade a little as I
get into it.

M: Very creamy and pleasant. For being 9.6% I was surprised to not really notice the alcohol at all.

O: Enjoyed it, not an everyday beer for sure and not my favorite milk stout but definitely another solid beer from Southern Tier.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Had this on tap in an 11 oz snifter.
Pitch black with a nice dark tan/mocha head that dissipated fairly quickly.
Aroma is just what the name says. It is all 'creme brulee', and it is intense.
This is one BIG and delicious brew. Caramel, vanilla dominate the flavor profile with hints of bitterness towards the finish. Sweet dessert beer, which is so delicious that it left me wanting more with every sip. I enjoy stouts and this is definitely one that I will not hesitate to sip and enjoy again.
Definitely worth a try, especially if you enjoy creme brulee.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from bottle during Southern Tier tasting at Pat's Liquors in Porter, IN on 7/23/10, then again last night from the bottle while relaxing on my deck at home (one of the many bottles I bought while at Pat's that night).

As recommended, served right from the refrigerator, poured into pint glasses.

A: Very dark, nearly black, tan colored head with good formation.

S: If you were to put a wet Werther's Original under your nose, you would EXACTLY the aroma of this beer. Caramel with vanilla overtones. If you had someone smell this beer without seeing it, they would guess candy or cake, I am sure.

T: Tastes like it smells. Has the same flavor profile as Dekuyper ButterShots Schnapps. You can't really believe that you are drinking a dark stout beer. Absolutely amazing!!

NOTE: Once this beer warmed up, the alcohol was definitely present in a big way. I recommend splitting a bomber 3 or 4 ways and getting it gone while it is still cold.

M: I do not understand how anyone could remotely put this beer into the "thick" or "heavy" category. The only reason must be because they see stout and think that way. This is incredibly easy drinker with ample carbonation.

D: I would say that most everyone who has this would not want more than one glass. Like Choklat, it is extreme and meant to be enjoyed in moderation.

This is definitely a dessert beer. My friend suggested pound cake and berries as a pairing. We will try it and get back to you.

22 oz. bottle.

Pours a dark cola brown. Garnet edges. Small, wispy, dirty khaki head. Some lacing. Huge nose of vanilla, chocolate, cocoa powder, caramel, butter rum, and, uh, creme brulee! Wow. Smells like liquid dessert. Some notes of roasted malts and vinous fruits lay almost hidden underneath.

The taste expounds upon the aroma with sweet, rich, intense creme brulee flavors. Caramel and butter rum mix with milk chocolate, dark chocolate, sweet cream, and roasted coffee. Sweetness peaks near the finish, where it is almost cloying. Luckily some roasted malt, coffee, and dark chocolate bitterness cut in a little bit. Still, a very intense, sweet sipper. Full-bodied with a thick, creamy feel. Going to be tough to finish a whole bomber by myself! Southern Tier keeps pushing the envelope and delivering!

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a bottle with a dark brown color, no head. Has an amazingly sweet vanilla, sugar, and caramel aroma. Taste is the same sweet vanilla, but also has a bitterness that prevents it from being too sweet. I can’t help wish this was a pure sweet stout, but maybe it would have been too rich. Has a full body feel and goes down smooth. This is a delicious beer.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a super-dark brown, almost pitch-black. Very slight head disappears rapidly. No bubbles to speak of.

Smell: The smell alone is its namesake in a bottle. This smells just like I was sniffing creme brulee. The burnt sugar? Check. The vanilla sweetness? Check. That delicate hint of cream? Oh yes. This is a 5 on the smell factor.

Taste: Definitely has the stout base of note, but man does the creme brulee taste come through here as well. The coffee, chocolate notes of the base blend so well with the burnt sugar and the vanilla. While not quite the perfection that the nose brings to the table, this is really good. I would definitely consider this a dessert stout, but it's not so sweet that it makes you sick. Very nice. A slight bit of booziness kicks in as you drink through this.

Mouthfeel: Kind of a boozy aftertaste with a little bit of stickiness. Pretty much standard fare for this genre of beer at this ABV.

Overall: Definitely a nice once-in-awhile dessert treat. Not something to be had every day, but like with a delicious, rich, sweet dessert, something to savor every now and then.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, bottled on 06/10/13. Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Black, with a thin tan head and thick ring at the edge. Plenty of delicate strands of lacing.

Smell: Tons of vanilla and buttery toffee. Maybe the barest hint of orange with a really good swirl of the glass. A dessert in a glass.

Taste: Bitter roasted malt, vanilla, buttery toffee, black coffee, hint of pine at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Nicely thick, creamy. Good carbonation, but I think the mouthfeel would be even better if the carbonation was a tiny bit less.

Overall / Drinkability: Very well done beer and definitely a dessert complimenting beer. When I had this with vanilla ice cream as recommended on the bottle, the bitterness really came out and complimented the ice cream. Sweet aroma with bitter roast compliment to the ice cream. Once I finished the ice cream and let my palate rest a bit, then all the sweetness in this beer came out. Even then, the sweetness was tempered by the roasted malt and hop bitterness. While I want another bottle to crack open right now, I know I should not have a second one of these in a sitting. That being said, a big glass of this beer with dessert is fantastic.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap and poured into oversized goblet.

This is a beer that will do one of two things: blow your mind or make you sick. My review shows which end I fall on with this one.

A: Black as night, cappucino colored head that was thin and some lacing. Had the look of the creamiest of chocolate milks, not a weak yoo hoo.

N: Good God, I smelled this coming out of the tap from about 4 feet away. The best smelling beer I have ever come across. It was all butterscotch and vanilla. Phenomenal, 5.5 and as it warmed you could pick up some of the hops. How they escape I dont know but I can smell this all night and day. If they made it air freshener form, Im hanging it in my car.

T: Whipped cream, vanilla, butterscotch, espcaping bitterness, powdered sugar, maple syrup. Intensity bursting out of this one. As it warmed, it took on more vanilla than the raw sugars and was tremendous. I equate this one to drinking a milk shake flavored with chopped up vanilla Charleston Chews. Fantastic.

M: Smoothness is there and dont understand how some claimed it to be thin- I thought the milk shake creaminess was like whipped cream. Sweetness of Baileys but more texture.

D: Sure its like a dessert, sure its like you need to eat it with a spoon, yet bizarrely drinkable. I probably couldnt drink them all night but I had no problem savoring the shiznit out of the goblet I got and am looking forward to picking up a large amount to put in the cellar.

I have always like Southern Tier's more mild beers and been back and forth on their imperials, but this freaking thing is pure genius. Loved each and every delectible sip. Not for the faint of heart.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

Southern Tier has really impressed me lately, and this beer is no exception. It's a dark, fully black, thick liquid with a dense tan head. Really remarkable - exceptional, really - is the aroma. The sweet, dessert-like aroma is unlike almost any other beer. I was afraid that the aroma would be artificial, with too much vanilla, but somehow this strikes a wonderful balance between the creamy, malted-milk qualiities of a milk stout and huge proportions of vanilla. It's intense, sense-grabbing, and fantastic. I love it. It's like a chocolate malt, woody-vanilla, and cream pie....creme brulee, indeed. Some toasty, roasty scents are present as well. It's one of those beers that you get a kick out of just sniffing. The flavor is strong, with a firm bitterness that provides some balance. Sweet on the lips. Thick and intense, but not cloying. Huge, hefty body. Spectacularly satisfying!

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

Heavy on the malt, and vanilla extracts, light on Hops. But if you like stouts, porters, anything with lots of malt and relatively few hops.. Then you will love this beer..

It is exactly what it is described as.. The Vanilla aromas smell just like a Creme' Brule and the finish is heavy but smooth.

The only thing I have to say against it, was that as smooth as the first taste was, there seemed to be a bitter finish. While it tasted quite good, the taste was trying to compete with what I think is one of the most aromatic beers I have ever had.

I will admit it was much better from the tap than it was from the bottle. In both cases it was exceptional.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Awesome beer overall. Very decadent and rich. My only complaint is how cloyingly sweet it can be if you don't have some salty food to balance it out. A definite sipper!

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I don't always go for big and sweet, but there's no denying ST Creme Brulee is a delicious liquid dessert.

Poured a 1" dark mocha head, and replenished the head with glass refills. Dark burnt umber brown color, almost coffee. Smells of roasted malt, vanilla, fancy flavored coffee, even like a candy bar. The taste is indulgent with burnt sugar, vanilla, toffee, coffee, and malt. And the high alcohol suits this guilty pleasure.

Hey, some will say this is too sweet, too strong, whatever. To me that's like ordering a fancy dessert and then complaining it isn't more bland. What did you expect when you ordered it?

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: Jet black, opaque and a little thick looking. Topped with a thin, bubbly mocha colored head that quickly dissipates, leaving a ring around the top of the beer

Aroma: You can smell this as soon as you pour it, and man, does it smell good! It really does smell like legit crème brulee. The first thing that hits your nose is that delicious burnt sugar that you find on top of the desert. It's carmelly and sweet with some notes of vanilla in the background. Underneath that, you can pick up hints of coffee and maybe some roasted malts. Awesome.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mmm. The taste is pretty spot on to the nose. Vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel, dried fruit, roasted coffee and malts follow each other in this delicious medley of flavors and finish in a slightly bitter, burnt aftertaste. This beer is soooo good. It tastes like desert, but not in a cloying or overpowering way. Granted, I have a sweet tooth, but man. Delicious. The mouth feel is medium and possibly a little chewy. It's not super carbonated at all... If I had any complaint, it would be that this beer isn't creamy enough. By no means is it thin, but I feel like a beer as delectable as this one should be super creamy and thick. But that could be just me.

Notes: This is GOOD beer. The only problem is, as far as drinkability goes, it just has too much flavor. I'm trying to make my way through a bomber (done with half) and I'm getting a little overwhelmed. Kind of like... I'll eat one crème brulee happily, I'll even dig into the second one with a smile on my face... but half way through that second desert, man, I'm full.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

22 oz bottle, no freshness date.

Pours a dark ink with garnet edges. Slow rising tan head clinngs to the glass.

Smells wonderful. Buttercream, custard, vanilla frosting, and burnt caramel whiff up the nostrils. smells like the perfect desert.

Taste is very much like the smell, very sweet and filled with cream, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, caramel, butterscotch. All wound up into a little package mmmm tasty.

Being a milk stout it is creamy as fuck, nice full bodied ale with moderate carbonation and a dry finish.

10% abv this stout is a monster. extremely creamy and extremely sweet. Who needs desert when you got beer.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer poured black with a tan head. The aroma was an addicting amount of vanilla with a nice amount of sweetness. The taste wasn't as great as the aroma but was still very enjoyable. It wasn't too sweet, but had an incredible vanilla, creamy flavor to it. It was also very drinkable considering the style and the alcohol content. I wish they would make a cologne or a candle or something so I could smell this beer's aroma all the time. This was a phenominal beer. I'm really starting to love how over the top many of Souther Tier's beers are. The pumpking pushed the boundaries of how pumpkin a pumpkin beer can be, and this beer does the same for a beer with vanilla. I'd highly recommend this.

4.4/5  rDev +12%

A- The coloring of this one is midnight black with no other hues present around the rim, and provides a very thick, dense head that sticks around, eventually settling down to a half inch thick layer of fluff, and the coloration is of cappuccino. Lots of lacing clings to the glass right off the bat! Overall this is very much a perfect looking stout!

S- This is dead on for creme brulee/and or flan/and or any cream/sugar based desert! Great aromas of vanilla and milk chocolate...Simply wonderful! Nothing else to say about the aroma other than it smells just like something delectable came out of the oven.

T- Again, simply wonderful! There's so much going on here....vanilla beans, milk chocolate, fresh coffee grounds, caramel and dairy cream. The great thing about this, is that there is an underlying earthiness and hop bitterness on the finish to balance this out and remind me that I'm enjoying a great craft brew! The aftertaste remains a little bitter on the palate however for my liking and considering everything else going on in this beer, so just a slight notch below the aroma.

M- Full bodied, and creamy carbonation round this out really well. Very rich and filling for sure, the alcohol is slightly noticeable but considering it's sitting at a whopping 10%, the sweetness of the lactose hides it nicely! Just like having a rich, creme brulee desert!

O- This is nearly a perfect beer to enjoy and even though this is true, the large format would limit me to enjoying one bottle every now and then. It's so rich and sweet that it's something that needs to be shared really, and really fills me up. However, from a creative standpoint, this is IMO one of the best products to be found anywhere and I absolutely love it!

4.4/5  rDev +12%

I cannot say enough about the smell of this beer. They should make scented candles out of it! The only reason I didn't give it a higher score is that it is a bit too sweet on its own for me. HOWEVER, if you mix it with a coffee style stout, it's UNBELIEVABLE (like Starbucks made a beer). I will absolutely buy this and serve it as a dessert beer or to mix with various stouts or porters. And, FYI, I think the ladies with a sweet tooth would love this one too (especially the ones who say they "don't like beer").

4.4/5  rDev +12%

s -- bottle capped bottle.

a -- very nice dark brown, and a creammy head.

s -- this is the best smelling beer i ever had. it was like being in a candle store.

t -- maybe i just like mike stouts, but i did not taste any milk, just vanilla and coffee cream.

m -- little carbonation, good for a change from the belgians.

d -- i enjoyed it all night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a snifter. Gorgeous jet black color with a brown/purpleish color on the edges. Very tiny head goes away very quickly.
S--Smell is absolutely outstanding butterscotch, tons of Vanilla and a faint tootsie roll smell. T&M--Taste is fantastic. Loads of sweet vanilla, burnt sugars, chocolate and a tad of butterscotch round this out with a nice alcohol creaminess on the finish. As far as drinkability goes I gave it a 4 , This beer is a little rich and very sweet but it is also quite drinkable considering it's hefty 10% ABV. All in All, another fantastic beer from Southern Tier's black water Series. I would recommend anyone to buy this one as soon as they can, because I'm sure there will be a ton of Beer trekys stockpiling it in the next few weeks.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 - On tap. Part of a flight which included So. Tier Creme Brulee, Java Head, Imperial OAT & Founders Breakfast Stout.

Uber flavors here. Doubt there's any vanilla left in Madagascar after they made this. Chocolate, some coffee & just enough sweet to hit the spot. Not just for the freak effect, this is an excercise in what can be done. Well crafted and well dangerous at 9.6%.

12/20/11 After tasting this from a bottle some time ago (Thanks, Steve) I was so glad to see it untethered. This is one of those rewards for those who venture beyond their comfort zone.

Captured in my glass are a classic, though light stout with high caramel and vanilla notes. Nothing slaps your face except the uniqueness and, as Martha Stewart used to say, 'that's a good thing'.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 oz. bomber bottle with a plastic label of three different kinds of cows. The closest one is the common milk cow, the farthest one back is a long horn, and I'm not too sure what the other one in the middle is. To the left of the cows is the Government warning and too the right is the usual wealth of information that Soutern Tier dishes out. This information includes the ABV%, plato, what kind of malts, kettle hops, aroma hops, proper serving temperature, proper glassware, and a novel sized paragraph. This long paragraph talks about how this is a dessert beer and a brief history of the creme brulee. It's mostly just gibberish. Again, like every other Southern Tier bottle, the only information missing is some kind of bottle code or bottled date.

Appearance: Southern Tier suggested I use a Snifter, so I poured this beer into a Corsendonk Snifter. I knew a Stout was going to be black, but I didn't think this beer was going to be this black! I held it up into the light to see if light could penetrate this beer's solid black color and it couldn't. The head of was almost as impressive as the color itself. This head of foam was light mocha color and about 3/4 of an inch in height. This mocha foam had really good retention that left behind foamy mocha rings and only a handful spots of lace around the glass. Great color and great head of foam!

Smell: Wow! What an aroma this beer had! I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the cap. The aroma was so heavy on the vanilla beans and the sugar that it instantly reminded me of a candy store with an ice cream parlor attached to it. There was that and it smelled exactly like creme brulee right down to the smallest detail. It was great sweet smelling beer, but there wasn't any kind of beer smell in it. No malts, hops, or even chocolate hiding in this aroma. It was all about the vanilla beans and the sweet sugar.

Taste: I didn't think that you could take a delicious well made creme brulee and transform it into a Stout beer. That never crossed my mind until I took a sip of this sweet beer. If you've ever had a creme brulee before, then imagine drinking one. Not only does it smell like one, but it taste like it too. But unlike the aroma, the taste had a little bit more "beer flavor" to it. Hiding behind all the vanilla beans and sweet sugar was a small touch of dark roasted malts and a quick splash of roasted hops. Then after the hops leave, the taste goes right back on track with all the sugar and vanilla beans. The vanilla beans are aggressive, but in the end it's a great sweet tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Even though this beer was dark, sweet, and contained a high 10% ABV, I thought that this beer was more of a medium bodied beer than being a full bodied beer. The aftertaste was slightly dry, but very sweet with more vanilla beans, sweet sugar, and a subtle touch of dry roasted malts. This beer totally masks the 10% ABV. If there was any sign of the 10% ABV, then the vanilla beans and sugar would have covered it up anyway.

Drinkability: I didn't think this beer would taste like creme brulee at all. I thought it would just be a dark roasted beer with a hint of vanilla added to it. Boy was I wrong about that! Since this was such a sweet dessert beer, it should really only be drank once in a great while. If it isn't, then you must have quite the sweet tooth. This is a very creative original idea for a beer. I would like to thank Southern Tier for having the balls for brewing and distributing a beer like this to the public.

4.41/5  rDev +12.2%

2009 Vintage Into A Tulip Glass
Sampled W/ 2 BAs - Approx. 7oz. Sample

This brew pours a dark, dark mahoghany to black color, with a one finger beige head that diminishes quickly to a few bubbles. Little to no lacing on this brew. Looks a little thin for the style. The nose is simply amazing w/ boat loads of cracked vanilla bean that can be realized without even completely bringing your nose to the glass. Also, has the aroma of nuttiness and caramel in the background. The taste is the same vanilla bean in your face w/ burnt caramel, coffee, and licorice on the finish. Could definately session this one if I had more of an alcohol tolerance as I once did, and the ABV is completely hidden @ 11.00%. I feel the thinness for the style helps in this aspect. Overall, this is the perfect dessert/after dinner beer and a nice offering from Southern Tier as I have grown to expect from them.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company