Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)

bcostner1, Jan 19, 2013

eerbayman, Nov 15, 2011

jfcaa193, Feb 02, 2012

tykechandler, Jun 19, 2014
1.15/5  rDev -70.4%

My first review, unfortunately, is spurred by my feeling responsible for warning people to save their money.

Smells like cake batter that tried to drown itself in vanilla extract after downing a pint of vodka. Boozy and sickly sweet aroma can be smelled from across the bar, I actually said 'ugh" as the bottle passed by me on it's way to the poor person who actually had 22 oz of this to drink.

I generally agree that a beer can't be properly reviewed based on 1 sip, but that's literally all you need. Unless you posses a 5 year old's sweet tooth and an alcoholic's liver I'd suggest avoiding this beer.

* Would be interested to try this beer with 1-2 years of aging, but I won't go near it again in the interim.

IBUlover, Aug 21, 2008
1.25/5  rDev -67.9%

Thanks to Yamar18 for this bomber, poured into an oversized snifter.

An aggressive pour directly into the middle of the glass coaxes a little skim of tan foam that covers 1/3 of the surface of the beer and disappears quickly. Very dark cola brown body. No lacing to speak of. Disappointing visually.

STRONG butterscotch and caramel aromas jump out of the glass. I can easily smell this beer from a foot+ above the glass. Once my nose adjusts a bit, I can pick out some cocoa, Irish cream liqueur, and a hint of vanilla. I can't detect any malt at all. Certainly no bold roasty flavors like you'd expect in a big stout. Sweet and boozy, with heavy emphasis on the sweet.

For the most part, this beer tastes like it smells. Weird, that is. Thankfully there's actually a hint of coffeeish dark malt and a hint of bitterness, but hints are it, and they seem to be in conflict with all that sweetness. The dominant sweet flavor is Irish cream- it's artificial and unpleasant to my palate. I hate it a little more with each sip. I'm pretty sure my dog is laughing at me as I try to choke this stuff down (I should give him some, too; misery loves company).

Mouthfeel's somewhat disappointing. Medium-full bodied, lowish carbonation. The lingering artificial sweetness all the way into my throat is quite unpleasant.

Overall impression: Strange beer. I'm pretty much morally opposed to drainpours, but in the case of Creme Brulee, this rule was meant to be broken.

PDXHops, Apr 16, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -67.9%

So much sugar that it is not drinkable

sbrock22, Oct 08, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -67.9%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Courtesy of a trade with funkydelic. Thanks Cameron!

A: Pours a pitch black with a surprisingly light, cream-colored head for an RIS. Retention is about 30 seconds before retreating to a collar of big bubbles, and no lacing down the glass or during swigs. Not much in the way of legs either.

S: Vanilla. Jesus. Like I'm sniffing a bottle of vanilla extract. Cannot smell malt, hops. Just vanilla and some burnt sugar.

T: And that's all I can taste too. Wait. Wait. Chocolate. Roasted malts. Burnt sugar. Ugh. To say this beer is oversweetened is an understatement. I'm beginning to be less and less impressed with Southern Tier's Diabeetus imprint. Please cut the sugar and the vanilla the next time you make this. KTHXBYE.

M: Low carbonation, and a surprisingly thin body that makes it feel like sugar water.

D: Never again. I'm not done with the bottle yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pour it out before I'm done. This might be the worst beer I've ever had, and it is a testament to my cheapness that I'm still at it.

Incidentally, this is one of those beers that I would use as an example of, "Just because you can make it doesn't mean you should." Really, a creme brulee beer in 22oz form? Who thought that was a good idea? Christ.

Arbitrator, Aug 15, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -67.9%

What is trinity cream? Pours a midnight black color with very little hue throughout. A very prominent and soft tan head with good retention and lacing. Not sure for how long as it was a dumper.

The nose has WAY too much vanilla coming out. Put the glass now and still could smell it. Let it breath for 10 minutes, still the vanilla is obnoxious. Some butter and milky notes. No beer notes to speak of.

The taste is super sweet and like the nose is dominated by vanilla. Super sweet with a "hurts your teeth" sweetness. There is a fake cream/lactic thing that really emphasizes the sweetness. Almost like condensed milk. On the back end the vanilla comes out and really overpowers everything in the finish. Some minor roast, but really where is the beer.

The body is waaay too sweet. Overall this is not beer. This is a dumper. How can you drink this?

Oxymoron, Dec 08, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -66.6%

Everything is ok until you take a sip of this beer. The smell and the look are pretty nice but that's where the party ends.

The sweet flavor of the beer just tastes very fake and processed. It doesn't taste like Creme Brulee, it tastes like a non-fat yogurt or something. If you are new to southern tier don't let this one scare you away.

woodske1, Feb 20, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -63.2%

A: The pour is a dark brown color with a khaki colored head that settles down to a thin layer.

S: The amount of butterscotch, caramel, vanilla and burnt sugar in the nose is nearly unbearable. I felt like I got a cavity just from smelling it.

T: I thought the nose was bad, but jeeze. This is pure, unadulterated sugar. Butterscotch, burnt sugar, vanilla, caramel, and some sugar on top for good measure. A bit creamy, but who really cares?

M: The body is medium with a low carbonation and a tooth rotting sweetness.

D: I'm pretty sure I am diabetic after having taken a few sips of this beer. So unbearably sweet and sugary without any sort of balance.

womencantsail, Jun 17, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -62.7%

Poured a black into my glass with a small cocoa brown head.

The smell of vanilla extract was overpowering. It smelled of fake vanilla, like vanilla vodka.

The taste was awful with the flavor of overpowering vanilla extract.

The mouthfeel was pleasant, smooth and velvety with a light soft carbonation.

I would never recommend this beer. Stout and imperial stout are my favorite styles of beer but this was disgusting. I've never reviewed a beer before but after opening this one and the southern tier chokolat, which is equally awful, I had to review them.

Lare453, Jul 31, 2012

SkiBum22, Aug 21, 2014

evilkorova, Dec 19, 2011

anewlanguage, Oct 13, 2012

pouritdrinkit, Dec 24, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -61.4%

Sickly sweet- I couldn't get past a few sips. Wanted to like it, but it was just too much for me. Maybe I'll revisit and bake with it some time.

yarnbomb, Oct 06, 2014