2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,245 | Reviews: 1,272 | Show All Ratings:
whendeathsleeps

Indiana

1.88/5  rDev -51.5%

A- Pours black with ruby highlights, a one finger tan head.

S- Would smell great, if it were a candle, not what I want to smell from a beer, Vanilla, burnt sugar, not much else in the nose.

T- Like eating a Yankee brand vanilla candle with butterscotch icing. Such an artificial sickly sweet taste, makes me almost gag. I detect nearly no hops, just sugar on top of you guessed it...more sugar.

M- Thick, full bodied, oily slick, moderate carbonation.

O- I would avoid at all cost, maybe this is for some people though. Glad I at least tried it so I could experience it for myself. It was so hard to get through even splitting the bottle with a friend. Skip this milk stout and go for Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout, which is perfectly balanced.

In closing, try it if you must. It was one of those pure curiosity things for me. Will never buy again.

12-09-2012 15:38:39 | More by whendeathsleeps
snargles

1.88/5  rDev -51.5%

yikes! very robust beer, packed with flavor, although unfortunately all the flavor tastes very artificial. Vanilla, and butterscotch, butterscotch, butterscotch, also quite bitter at the end. smells like it tastes. I tried to make a butterscotch beer once and just dumped a lot of extract in it, of course I had no idea what I was doing and it was lousy. This beer is VERY similar to that abomination I brewed. can't say much other than it's strictly a love/hate brew. If you want a novelty beer that tastes like really cheap & bitter candy, you'll love it

08-14-2013 05:23:41 | More by snargles
Overlord

1.9/5  rDev -51%

Thanks for the trade! This review is not indicative of my gratitude.

What the ding dang doo is up with this beer? Pours a weird dark brown toffee color with almost no head. Very good aroma. Laden with coffee, tons of vanilla, and a bit of roasted butterscotchiness.

The taste is nothing whatsoever like the smell. Not even close. There's a horrible chemical-y butter/cream sweetness, and the vanilla, which is so intoxicating to the nose, is cloying. There is something very, very wrong with this beer's flavor. Like vanilla extract gone alcohol.

Thin mouthfeel. Couldn't finish the bottle. If you look at my scores, you'll see how schizophrenic I found this drinking experience.

09-16-2008 07:24:42 | More by Overlord
Underrower

Georgia

1.93/5  rDev -50.3%

750 ml bottle served in a goblet.

Looks fine but not much head or bubbles even with aggressive pouring. I really like all the information on the bottle about what is in it and what to pair it with etc.

This smells vanilla like a delicious desert. I don't know if beer should smell like this but what a great smell!

This tastes just a little like it smells up front then metallic bitterness. The more you drink the more nasty, metallic bitterness comes through. I had to eat something with this to try to finish it. This is not a sweet stout. This is a bitter stout.

Mouth feel is nice. If you pinch your nose you can really pay more attention to the mouth feel and it is nice.

Overall, I do not want to ever drink this again or anything else with that Guinness-like metal tasting bitter finish. I do like to smell it but I guess that is just a tease.

09-28-2013 14:51:19 | More by Underrower
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

Bottle into snifter.

Pours dark brown with some light peeking through, and a slightly foamy, thin tan head.

Smell is butterscotch and a hint of roasty coffee.

Taste is big, sweet vanilla and butterscotch up front, with a touch of hop acidity peeking through and pairing with a sharp roastiness to bring the massive sweetness back in again. Unfortunately, the two balancing sides don't really mesh that well, and the result feels rather discordant, with the acidity being overemphasized by the slightly-too-sharp carbonation as well. Just a cloying, artificial tasting mess. I still cringe when I think of this beer.

Medium-heavy body and moderate to light but sharp carbonation.

Couldn't finish the bomber.

01-31-2009 22:39:46 | More by JohnQVegas
calsbeek

Vermont

1.95/5  rDev -49.7%

I love creme brulle and I love beer so this should be great.
The beer is nice and dark and pours with a thick full head that has nice retention. The nose is extremely close to creme caramel not really creme brulle, but it smells incredibly interesting.

Everything is down hill from there. The beer is disgustingly sweet (cloying is not even close to accurate...this beer is thick with sugar and just over the top nasty). Vanilla so overpowering on the front that there isn't much left to taste. The beer finished even worse with an overly bitter kick and nothing even close to a stout's character. I rinsed my mouth out with water after the first sip.

As the beer warms, things go from bad to worse. This is a novelty act in the extreme and I would NEVER buy the beer again.

totally disgusting.

10-02-2009 23:28:33 | More by calsbeek
hippityhops85

1.95/5  rDev -49.7%

This is such a bizarre beer. The name alone would drive me NOT to taste it but we'll take one for the team here. (Note, I am generally not a fan of milk stouts)

About three oz poured into a sample glass from draft.

Pours a deep, opaque black with an offwhite head that quickly dissipates leaving spotty bubbles on top of the brew.

THE NOSE IS INSANE! So much vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, chocolate, roasted malts. It's literally a punch to the senses. If the beer tastes anything like this it should be good.

Woah, what happened to the taste? Initially the taste does follow the nose but only for a second. The wonderful spice armoa from the nose is swallowed up in a bitterness that's really unpleasing. This bitterness along with the OVERWHELMING sweetness of the beer is just nausiating. There is a fair amount of lactic acid which really doesn't help the beer in the least. It's almost super sweet bile. Blech.

The mouthfeel is much thinner than I would have wanted out of a beer claiming this much flavor. Relatively moderate carbonation coupled with a too-thin mouthfeel and the ever-lingering bitterness/sweetness combo does not help this beer at all.

I've never claimed to be a fan of milk stouts and this doesn't help the cause IMO. I'd avoid this brew and take a well-rounded imperial stout over it without all the "pizazz."

Avoid.

12-10-2011 13:58:23 | More by hippityhops85
nyrangerfan

1.98/5  rDev -49%

I love ST beers, especially all of the other Blackwater Series Stouts but this was way too sugery/desserty. If you love to drink Creme Brulee (CB), you'll love this beer. It tastes exactly like it sounds....exactly. Poured into a DFH snifter, it looks great and you smell the CB immediately. It's just not my cup of tea and I know I'm supposed to consider that in my review so I'm just going to leave it at what I said above. It's like drinking candy. luckily my wife's girl friend liked it so I gave her the rest of the bottle!

05-31-2009 03:42:54 | More by nyrangerfan
ThreeWiseMen

Acquired this in a trade with Yamar18.

Appearance: Pours dark with one finger mocha head. Poor retention. Almost totally opaque. A little light can be seen through when held to light. Shouldn't be able to see light through an imperial stout.

Smell: Strong vanilla (smells like an Irish car bomb!), sweet chocolate and super rich caramel.
Wiseman Justin thinks it smells like an irish car bomb but slightly worse. Somewhat sickly. Alcohol shows through. "Note after drinking this for a couple of minutes, the smell of it makes me nauseous. - Wiseman Justin"

Taste: Super sweet. Again tastes like an irish car bomb (but worse). Wiseman Justin "I'd definitely rather be drinking an irish car bomb, should I chug this?" Has a definite liqueur aftertaste. 2.0

Mouthfeel: Really syrupy with medium carbonation (fairly high carbonation for an imperial stout). Thick body and dry, alcoholic aftertaste. There is really nothing terribly bad about the way it feels in the mouth area of the body.

Drinkability: Ranking this is easy, I have no desire to finish this beer let alone drink another one. In addition with a 10% alcohol score the ability to drink these is also hindered. Wiseman Nick says he could finish this one, but he'd probably feel sick. Wiseman Justin: 1.0 Wiseman Nick: 1.5

Notes: "it's just gross, and It's just bad"

11-21-2008 01:03:49 | More by ThreeWiseMen
Jayli

2.05/5  rDev -47.2%

This beer poured and intense opaque black, with a 2 finger of thick creamy head. Head retention was decent and left spotty lacing on the glass. Nose has an overpowering of artificial vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel smell to it. Hints of chocolate and roasted malts are slightly detectable. The taste follows the same as the nose. At first there is a pretty decent chocolate and dark malt flavors. However, those are quickly met with a harsh butterscotch and caramel. The artificial vanilla tasting hits you throughout, and the booziness doesn't help. I was hoping as it warmed, the tastes would become less harsh, but alas, it didn't. This is a heavy body, lighter carbonation, with a thick and creamy feel to it. I am generally a big fan of Southern Tier, but this beer was far off the mark for me. The harshness in the taste made this beer very, very close to a drain pour for me. It was very difficult to finish this bottle.

07-06-2009 15:25:23 | More by Jayli
nkersten

2.05/5  rDev -47.2%

A - Dark brown and slightly opaque. Would expect a slightly darker beer for an imperial stout.

S- Lots of vanilla, not much in the way of roasted malts that I would expect in an imperial stout. And it is an extract vanilla smell, not something you would get from whole beans.

T - Good freakin' god, this might be the sweetest beer I have ever had. Vanilla and more vanilla, sugar and some alcohol heat. I can feel my teeth rotting. There is nearly no malt or hop presence in the taste.

M - Despite looking a little on the thin side, the mouthfeel is pretty good. Right where an imperial stout should be in my opinion, if not a little bit light.

D - This would be a much more drinkable beer if the vanilla wasnt so overpowering. While not quite a drain pour, I don't think I will be getting this one again.

10-15-2009 04:39:43 | More by nkersten
BigB415

2.05/5  rDev -47.2%

The only thing I didn't like about this "beer" is the fact that it smells like Creme Brulee and tastes like Creme Brulee. The smell and taste of the desert are too overpowering for me to actually sit and enjoy the beer. I like flavor in my beers but not this much flavor.

11-17-2010 23:59:29 | More by BigB415
SFACRKnight

Colorado

2.08/5  rDev -46.4%

Poured into a tulip at. Cellar temps. Review from notes taken.

Appears black with brown around the edges when held to the light. Not a lot of head on the pour, no lacing to speak of.

Smells like someone dropped a bottle of vanilla into my glass. I'm trying to get some malts out of this, but the vanilla overpowers everything.

Tastes like butterscotch, burned butterscotch. Lots of vanilla, maybe some crystal malts coming in to give the butterscotch flavor, but it comes across as dicetyl, some roasted malts bring a little bitterness and a percieved burned flavor towards the end.

The beer feels oily and slick, not as thick and creamy as I expected from an imperial milk stout.

Overall, its the polarizing beer that I expected. There's no balance here, none at all. If you're a fan of an aggressive vanilla profile than this is for you. If you're looking for something a bit more subtle, a bit more balanced, and more complex, this brew isn't for you. It certainly wasn't for me.

04-23-2013 01:03:28 | More by SFACRKnight
Long813

Ontario (Canada)

2.1/5  rDev -45.9%

G: Duvel tulip

A: Very dark and opaque brown body with one finger of dark mocha head. Head quickly fades away leaving the slightest lacing.

S: Very strong aroma of milk chocolate and vanilla. Some caramel and butterscotch comes behind. Surprised at how strong the vanilla is.

T: A mixture of butterscotch, vanilla and milk chocolate create a very strong taste. Really captures the creme brulee goal and is quite sweet.

M: Heavy bodied giving it a syrupy texture and has relatively low carbonation. It leaves a very sweet sticky feeling in the mouth begging for another drink. Also the alcohol isn't that apparent until after it passes down the throat.

D: The taste is fantastic and hit the goal, but it's to expensive and to 'out there' to drink regularly. Outstanding job none the less.

EDIT: After I continued on with this bomber and the temperature hit room it became very hard to drink and the alcohol pierced through. Extremely hard to finish this beer right now.

Ended up with pouring the beer. When cold it's drinkable.

12-26-2009 02:24:41 | More by Long813
rapidsequence

2.13/5  rDev -45.1%

22 oz bottle. It was $8.50 from Beer Run in C-Ville.

Appearance: Its basically opaque. Thin light brown head is pretty short lived. Every time you tip the glass, you get a sheet of lacing left behind, but it fades quickly too.

Smell: You can literally smell this as you pour it. It has the strongest aroma of any beer I've ever smelled, but it doesnt smell at all like a beer. Smells like caramel and vanilla-- like a bowl of ice cream with that fakey caramel syrup. It smells really good, even my six year old thinks so, but again-- not like beer.

Taste: Very sweet caramel and vanilla. Some pretty sharp alcohol. From the middle of the tongue and all the way back, I am assaulted with a very bitter, very burnt flavor that is not good. I can tolerate and even enjoy the insane dessert like sweetness, but that bitter burnt flavor is just bad. A stout that has burnt and bitter flavors is often good, but not when paired with all this sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Its a little thin for a beer this big actually. A little undercarbonated too.

Drinkability: I've been looking forward to trying this. I was expecting an overly sweet beer, which I got, but I did not expect the awful, burnt bitterness that lingers. I put a wine stopper in the second half of the bottle, and put it back in the fridge. I'll probably dump it. EDIT: I went back to it an hour or so later. This stuff is undrinkable. Drain pour.

11-02-2009 01:16:34 | More by rapidsequence
Treebs

2.15/5  rDev -44.6%

Had on tap at Palmer Place. Served in a snifter.

A: Pours a jet black with a thin mocha colored ring and some swirls on top.

S: Wow there is a lot going on. Caramel, vanilla, sweet chocolate, and coffee. It's just too overpowering and smells like it's going to be too sweet.

T: Big vanilla coffee flavors, some caramel, some roasted malts, extremely sweet chocolate. Some bitter coffee grinds as well. This so cloying it's crazy. I feel like I'm going to get diabetes if I keep drinking this, yet I press on.

M: Heavy and slightly chewy with a very heavy coating across the mouth. Does have some nice bubble carbon from the top, but still the sweetness just lingers and kills it.

O: If you like the sweetest candy and chocolate in the world, thrown into a barrel of vanilla and caramel as well as early onset diabetes, this is the beer for you. It had a lot of potential, but the sugary sweetness was too much for me to handle.

10-16-2011 14:23:50 | More by Treebs
MeanGene

2.17/5  rDev -44.1%

Man...to be honest, I have been requesting this beer for quite some time as all the reviews have been enticing.

My brother got me a bottle as part of a beer basket for Christmas.

Poured into a small sifter glass...ink black with virtually no head...just a small amount of bubbles around the rim of the glass.

Smelled of butterscotch. I'm not even going to try to get into the undertones...just absolute straight butterscotch.

Taste did not diverge much from the smell. Did not enjoy it whatsoever myself since I'm not a fan of butterscotch. Had a few of my buddies try it who liked butterscotch but they were unimpressed.

Mouthfeel was thick and sweet...I suppose if you enjoyed butterscotch, you may be for it. Otherwise, you may want to grab a Coors Light.

All in all, a complete disappointment. I understand that I do not like butterscotch whatsoever...if one who reads this reveiw does, it may be a completely different story. For the price, please read the reviews and do your homework!

12-28-2008 08:51:21 | More by MeanGene
biglite351

2.2/5  rDev -43.3%

A - a not of red around the edges. Tall long lasting head that leaves a lot of lacing.

S - smells like créme brûlée with roared malts.

T - very, VERY, sweet. Like a bitter créme brûlée

M - a good amount of coating and tingle, but a bitter, not good tingle.

D - I probably would not get this again unless it was just for dessert.

06-25-2010 02:25:57 | More by biglite351
DIM

2.23/5  rDev -42.5%

a: This was a very dark brown. It poured with a thin, light tan head.

s: Big butterscotch aromas leap out of the glass. This had a liqueuresque quality that rubbed me the wrong way. I have to admit though, it did smell a bit like creme brulee.

t: Up front, this had huge butterscotch notes with a little vanilla. At the end, there was the flavor of burned simple syrup and more faintly, bitter roasty malts. There was some heat here that became pretty strong as it warmed.

m: Decent body with mildly fizzy carbonation.

d: This does pretty closely approximate creme brulee. There is something mildly "off" here that I couldn't get past. I'm glad I opened this with several people, because I had trouble finishing one wine glass.

08-15-2008 09:48:40 | More by DIM
CaptinRedBeard

2.23/5  rDev -42.5%

A: Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip. Pous a nice dark brown with a small mocha colored head and little lacing.

S: Mostly vanilla with some butterscotch and a hint of milk chocolate. Smells good but doesn't really smell like beer at all.

T: Vanilla extract/syrup, a little bit of the butterscotch comes through but this stuff is just insanely sweet.

M: Medium to heavy bodied, not too much carbonation.

D: I ended up pouring out over half of this beer. Something I very rarely do. I don't think I have ever drain poured a beer that was not expired. I just couldn 't take any more. I really like beers with vanilla in them and I loved Choklat. So I had really high hopes for this beer. I just couldn't get over the fact that it seemed like I was drinking vanilla syrup with a little beer added to it.

03-11-2010 11:33:23 | More by CaptinRedBeard
DelMontiac

Oklahoma

2.23/5  rDev -42.5%

Purchased this one in MO in July of 2012 and kept in the cellar.

This beer looked pretty nice on the pour into an U.S. Air Force Academy pint glass. Color was murky black/brown with a crowned mocha head that fizzled down rapidly. Scant lace remained.

I love creme brulee, so I was excited to get a whiff of this. The scent of sweet buttery vanilla and slightly burned sugar had me pretty ramped up, but it also seems very...artificial. The dark fruity chocolate tinge was there, but was mostly overwhelmed by the sweet vanilla.

Unfortunately, flavor is where this one goes horribly wrong. So overly sweet it's sickening and it's not a good sweet either - it's a ten spoons of sugar in one oz of corn syrup sweet. It's hummingbird food sweet. It's got a cough syrup phenolic medicine type of flavor that makes me want to spit it out. Yes, the vanilla is big. So big you feel as if you're breathing vanilla extract fire. The bitterness from the brew fights with all this sweetness and they both lose as they turn into one horrible mess. Nearly all chocolate hints are lost in all this. Actually made my stomach sour. I think you get the picture. After struggling through most of one glass...drain pour.

This is a very chewy and sticky brew, but I found so not in a good way. Nearly all the carbonation is eaten up once the pour settles leaving it fairly flat. This combined with a cough syrup consistency...meh...no thanks.

I was excited to see this in the store as I very impressed with Choklat by this brewery. It seems they just simply poured flavoring (or maybe a scent) into this beer and released it without ever trying it for themselves. I see other BAs have given this beer stellar reviews. This makes me wonder about differences in batches at Southern Tier.

Next time, pass.

02-03-2013 13:58:43 | More by DelMontiac
BStalf21

2.25/5  rDev -42%

Kinda surprised at how many people are high on this beer. I'm starting to find an over the top trend with this brewery when it comes to beer styles that have sweetness. I suppose that some people might think that is a plus but its just not my thing. Just cracking the cap off this thing made my kitchen smell like the local candy store. With each sip the over powering sweetness built until I couldn't tolerate it any more. Had to come back to this one to polish it off but didn't enjoy it at all. If ya digg sweet take a stab.

10-18-2011 03:45:23 | More by BStalf21
json83

2.25/5  rDev -42%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

9.6% ABV and 288 calories per bottle. I was attracted to tasting something different and surprise how well it smelled after opening the bottle. The taste was extremely off-putting - vanilla and coffee sounds attractive but the blunt caramel/butterscotch favor that kicks in does not match well with the combination. Easily one of the sweetest beers I've ever had. To be fair, you get used to it the more you consume, but it was just a weird taste at first. This is one combination I'll probably never see again and I do not regret trying it, however I would not purchase again.

07-18-2013 23:31:43 | More by json83
captj

2.28/5  rDev -41.2%

My first review, so go easy on me!

A: It looks good, looks like a stout. Black, pours a nice tan-ish/light-brown head, with a bit of thickness to it.

S: WOOOAH! As soon as you pop the cap you get knocked five feet backwards by the smell! I have it in a snifter (as the bottle suggests) about a foot and a half away and it is powerful! You really can only taste the creme brulee aspect, there isn't much else nose wise unless you have a good nose and can realllly get through the caramel/vanilla smells. It's nice, but overpowering.

T: This is a super super super sweet and flavor-packed beer. By "flavor-packed" I mean a strong and loud flavor, not a highly complex flavor. It's hard to get much besides the vanilla, caramel, and some slight coffee taste. There is a bit of creaminess to it, and little bit of coffee, but wow is it sweet. The coffee and cream flavors come out on the aftertaste more than the immediate sip. I get a liiittle bit of maltiness, but maybe it's just me, but it's hard to pull much else besides the creme brulee from this beer. Also, even at 10%, the alcohol stands out a little too much for me. I like my high ABV beers, but this one doesn't really mesh well and doesn't feel well balanced.

M: It has a nice, smooth, creamy mouthfeel, and that's all I can really say about that.

D: Veryyy difficult for the flavor reasons I mentioned earlier. Way too sweet, way too much of the "creme brulee" flavor. We can put it like this: This goes over and above on creme brulee flavor than PumKing does on pumpkin flavor.

So there's my review, I don't know what my actual letter rating would be, but I'd say C to D+. Just not my bag. But I would definitely pass on this one again...I don't know if I'll even be able to finish this glass.

09-24-2010 01:22:42 | More by captj
ehammond1

2.3/5  rDev -40.7%

Bottle

Thanks for sharing Sam!

Dark brown throughout with a very, very thin khaki head. Dots of lacing down the glass.

An exceptionally impressive aroma because it smells so much like the dessert this beer takes its name from. It's astounding the aromas Southern Tier produces within their beers. Burnt sugar, caramel, vanilla, and custard all come together just like in the dessert. That being said, the only reason it doesn't score higher is that the aroma is just simply far too sweet--it actually stings my eyes it's so sweet!

While the aroma is particularly impressive, the flavor doesn't match up. The same flavors (caramel, toffee, vanilla, custard) are present, but they clash together into an overly sweet diabetic tornado. I wouldn't want more than 1-2oz. of this. This tastes like a Starbucks Caramel Frappucino with a hot alcohol bite from start to finish. Unpleasant, unless, I guess, you're in to that sort of thing.

Medium to thick mouthfeel and low carbonation--too syrupy.

A dessert beer that is far too much dessert and not at all enough beer. While the concept is applauded and the aroma is rich, the flavor and drinking experience is not at all enjoyable.

09-08-2011 17:40:25 | More by ehammond1