2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3,240 | Reviews: 1,272 | Show All Ratings:
tracydoyle

4.58/5  rDev +18%

I can't say anything about the flavors in this ale that haven't been said before. All I can add is my general impression that I have died and gone to ale heaven! Tomorrow, I make an Ale/Ice cream float! While it is a dessert ale, it also works well with burgers and sweet potato fried.

03-19-2014 05:33:44 | More by tracydoyle
yanspin

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

For a dessert beer this one is near the top. It's a smokey butterscotch and vanilla bean offering that masks the AC well. Drinks like a 6.5 or 7% stout. If I had to summarize the experience I would say that drinking this beer was like smoking a sweet, quality cigar that had been dipped in vanilla. Served at The Brewer's Kettle in High Point.

03-13-2014 18:09:20 | More by yanspin
Mrlhodson

4.36/5  rDev +12.4%

I cannot say enough about the smell of this beer. They should make scented candles out of it! The only reason I didn't give it a higher score is that it is a bit too sweet on its own for me. HOWEVER, if you mix it with a coffee style stout, it's UNBELIEVABLE (like Starbucks made a beer). I will absolutely buy this and serve it as a dessert beer or to mix with various stouts or porters. And, FYI, I think the ladies with a sweet tooth would love this one too (especially the ones who say they "don't like beer").

03-09-2014 19:29:54 | More by Mrlhodson
Abstract_Alegebra

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

On tap at Beer Run in Cville. Obsidian in color with a micro lace that fades to almost nothing. What a nose! It's like getting punched in the face by the candy man wearing butterscotch boxing gloves. Taste follows the nose but (relatively) toned down. Smooth, sweet, lingering on the back in a way that stays with you, but is nice. Bis thick and uniform.

02-28-2014 00:27:35 | More by Abstract_Alegebra
PaulyB83

4.15/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On-tap at Burdick's Wings West in Kalamazoo, MI. Served in a snifter.

A- Nice frothy light brown head. Medium level dark black, some light coming in on the edges.

S- Smells like a vanilla cafe latte. Light coffee roasts and a strong vanilla aroma. Very much a dessert beer.

T- Similar to aroma light chocolate, medium coffee roasts, and big vanilla presence.

M- A bit lighter and not as creamy as expected but still a nice medium mouthfeel.

O- I was surprised how big the vanilla was and if you are looking for a drinkable dessert beer this is one to lookout for. Wish maybe it was more roasty that vanilla but still a great beer.

02-10-2014 00:55:43 | More by PaulyB83
RVigz

4.61/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: This stout pours a beautiful jet black color with about a 1" medium amber colored head.

Smell: Toasted caramel and sweet sweet vanilla.

Taste: The taste is a super sweet yet incredibly delicious caramel taste. Loads of vanilla and a hint of chocolate malts. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: The feel is very sweet and smooth. I could not taste the alcohol one bit.

Overall: This beer is deliciously sweet and satisfies all of my senses. i would 100% recommend this to anyone who is even thinking about trying it. It will be going down as one of my all time favorites.

02-02-2014 04:13:32 | More by RVigz
Jamey61

4.26/5  rDev +9.8%

I had this beer on tap at a local place with an amazing selection of micros. Appearance is very dark which I was not expecting. The smell is amazing. Truly smells like Crete brûlée which was a pleasure. The taste was very good and more surprising since some beers smell like the targeted goal but taste does not always follow. Definitely a dessert beer so I would not be able to drink too much of it. Mouthfeel is creamy and pleasant. My girlfriend bought a bottle and we plan to drink it tonight. Read another review in which they mixed it with Southern Tiers Pumpking. I happen to have two 22oz. Bottles of that so I will try that as well. Very good beer in small doses. Highly recommend at least a try.

01-05-2014 00:52:34 | More by Jamey61
BradT

4.73/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer that I can get on a reg... bar none and I'm an IPA guy. My next favorite is Sierra Nevada Bigfoot... I could drink ST CB every day... Wish it were easier to get 1/6 kegs of it. Honestly, the first time I had it I was surprised as I'd ever been by a beer. Amazing.

Smell - like a mochacino... Delicious
Taste - a perfect mix of coffee, chocolate, and sweet vanilla... With a hint of alcohol
Mouth - nice thickness, without being a milkshake
Appearance - if it appears in my glass... I'm happy

12-27-2013 19:49:42 | More by BradT
MadCat

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Review from notes

Appearance: A nice black color with a good tan head, leaves nice lacing

Smell: Vanilla, toffee, cream, chocolate, a little roasted malts

Taste: Sweet caramel and cream up front, with some vanilla, toffee, chocolate, and roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: Full body, light carbonation

Overall: Not going to be everybody's cup of tea, but it is an amazing dessert beer. Super sweet, but that doesn't bother me. Can't drink a ton, which is why finding it on tap is good.

11-27-2013 03:17:59 | More by MadCat
joeboe2001

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev +18%

L –Very dark with a modest head--but I was drinking out of a 5 oz sampler glass.

S – Caramel, chocolate and coffee--I just sat there and savored it for several minutes, happy in the moment.

T – When I finally tasted it, CBS tasted like it smelled! Pleasant and well balanced flavors, sweet but not overly so. As soon as I tasted it, I knew a glass of this would suffice for dessert, though I imagine a scoop of ice cream or a piece of chocolate cake would be a suitable pairing..

F – Modest carbonation that stuck around. At least for as long as it took me to drink 5 oz.!

O – Delicous and delightful dessert beer. If I had ordered a pint, I probably would have asked for either Kahlua or Cointreau as an accompaniment. Hard to tell that this was an alcoholic beverage.

09-20-2013 18:08:57 | More by joeboe2001
Deerslayer210

4.64/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the stout that turned me into the addict I am today. I first had it on tap at the brewery tour. It was super smooth and had a taste unlike I had had before. It is a coffee, chocolate, and vanilla like no other. If the vanilla sweetness was turned down just a pinch this beer would be taken to a 5. The smell of this fine stout might be the best of any beer out there and makes you close your eyes and breath in deep again and again. They should make it into an air freshener.

09-19-2013 13:39:52 | More by Deerslayer210
brewskifan55

Mississippi

4.36/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Hop City, Birmingham

A: Black as a cow's spot with a one finger tan head that stayed to graze. Lazy lacing.

S: Sweet milk and caramel. Could sniff this one all day.

T: Confectioner's delight. Sweet, and creamy with all that milk, caramel and attitude. Heaven.

M: Medium with thick, frothy carbonation. Let it roll on your tongue.

O: A great after dinner drink. A definite dessert beer. Recommended. Moooo.

09-09-2013 20:15:17 | More by brewskifan55
mntlover

Tennessee

2.49/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours black with nice small bar pour head, coco head that leaves plenty of lace down my glass even though it was smaller.

Aroma is sweet and to me 95% caramel sure there is some roasted noted and coffee. But caramel apples come to mind on first whiff and stays that way even wife says caramel big caramel. Not bad but not what I would consider a big stout smell.

Taste is well the same as the nose loads of sweet caramel not into liquors but has to taste more like a caramel liquor then a beer. Way sweet loads of caramel some roasted notes and coffee in the finish. Not happy with this server said it was sweet not big deal have had hundreds of stouts but nothing to prepare me for this. Would not have this again would not recommend this unless you just want to drink cloying caramel with roasted coffee hints.

Mouthfeel is a good point nice smooth full bodied brew.

Overall not my cup of beer but to each his own.

08-17-2013 00:48:13 | More by mntlover
robwestcott

Indiana

3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Cold from the tap and cola black with a wisp of a short lasting tan head to a 12oz goblet leaving spotty lace.

Huge ass vanilla, toffee and perhaps a bit of maple syrup in the nose. This is almost assuredly going to be sticky sweet.

Light to medium bodied and medium carbonation, super sweet followed by a bitter after.

Burnt toffee, vanilla syrup by the teaspoonful. Super sweet and the alcohol is barely hidden behind it all.

Drinkable (?), well, I guess. Unless you're diabetic.

08-06-2013 22:20:15 | More by robwestcott
roger617

Indiana

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz on draft poured into snifter

A: 3.75 pours engine oil black with under 1 finger of head that disappears quickly and leaves a ring on the edge of the glass
S: 4.25 major creme brûlée aroma that surrounds the entire area around me. Hints of roast, vanilla
T: 4.0 sweet, savory, yet there's a residual taste that doesn't blend too well. The resemblence to creme brûlée is uncanny.
M: 4.0 smooth, carbed well, thick
O: 4.0 I think I would actually like this better if I wasn't comparing it to creme brûlée. The flavors blend perfectly up front, but fade a little unpleasant. I'd have this again, but won't be seeking it out.

08-05-2013 21:27:56 | More by roger617
schoolboy

4.61/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

"Ice cream, we're gonna get ice cream." -Bill Cosby

That's what I'm thinking. I need ice cream. But also, as I already had a very tall glass, it does capture the taste of creme brulee. Maybe a bitter one, with less sugar. But it works.

The look is stout, but the aroma is dessert. What's for dessert, crème brulee. The taste is a nice bitter stout dominated by the crème brulee taste. But underneath it is a serious stout and a bitter one.

The heavy flavor masks alcohol big time, but it does not try to completely obscure it.

I like it a lot on tap. I would bet that it is also good in a bomber.

08-02-2013 00:49:30 | More by schoolboy
thegrapeandale

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

This yummy stout has been a huge hit at The Grape & Ale. Patrons don't get past the nose of this caramel and vanilla treat without saying WOW. True stout aficionados snub their noses at the sweetness within; however, when introducing lightweight beer drinkers for the first time to stout, we get a few converts. We served as shots with whip cream on top and encourage folks to stop by after dinner for a SOUTHERN TIER CREME BRULEE STOUT TREAT!

My only complaint to the brewery is that it is a summer and early fall release only....should come out for fall and winter.

07-26-2013 15:35:10 | More by thegrapeandale
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Southern Tier Creme Brûlée

10 oz tapper at Benno's in West Allis, WI. Served chilled...

A) Black to dark brown with a fairly thick mocha head, nearly a finger. Decent retention... No lacing noted...

S) A huge amount of vanilla and caramel. Made me think of drinking a Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks. If that is your thing it is hard not to be impressed by the aroma of this beer. Perhaps too sweet for some, but I really enjoyed it.

T) It is near the nose, with the vanilla and caramel referenced above, but the flavor came off as more artificial to me. It's like we went from Starbucks to some type of coffee mate creamer. The warmer this got, the more prevalent the alcohol content became.

M) It's hard for me to say this wasn't full-bodied. It was pretty thick and fairly smooth. As mentioned above a little alcohol burn as it got warmer.

O) Perhaps not the best choice on an extremely hot and humid day. Thanks to fellow beer advocate ncketchum, for the encouragement to give it a shot. A 10 oz pour was certainly enough. It was quite sweet, but overall pretty enjoyable.

Paired with the Super Nachos...
America!!!! Fuck yeah!!!!

07-20-2013 03:43:11 | More by RoamingGnome
Alextricity

4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had on-tap at One-Eyed Betty's in Ferndale, Michigan as part of a paddle.

Appearance: Pretty good looking beer -- not completely black like most Imperial Stouts seem to be, but it was nearly there with some ruby on the edges. A kind of bright, slightly off-white head floats on the glass. Lacing is patchwork. A good looking beer, but not Creme Brulee's highlight.

Smell: Holy shit. As noted at the top, I had this as part of a sampler, but I could smell this beer in particular from a few feet away before it was set on my table... this has to be the most pungent beer I've smelled. I'm not too sure I've whiffed a beer so potent from such a distance before -- that's a good and bad thing. If you love creme brulee, well damn, you've got it. This smells just like a creme brulee (or Boston Cream Pie), and that's all there is to it. Very sweet.

Taste/feel: Basically exactly like the taste, but some roasted malts come into play as well. There's virtually no bitterness to speak of, I find, and it is quite sweet. On the plus side, I don't think that this at all has a syrupy sweet sort of feel to it, which is something I was scared of going in. It tastes like creme brulee with a bit of roasty coffee notes... I have no idea how else to explain it. The name is very appropriate for this.

Would I buy a 22oz bottle of this though? No, not unless I happened to be sharing it. This is pretty much the very definition of a dessert beer -- sweet, tasty, awesome stuff. The ABV doesn't come at *all* in the aroma, and it may only be traceable in the taste due to a very slight warmth. This is another fine beer from Southern Tier, and one that any dessert/chocolate fan should enjoy... it's just hard to see me buying this again knowing that it's only in 22oz bottles.

07-13-2013 03:08:19 | More by Alextricity
LambicPentameter

Kansas

4.21/5  rDev +8.5%

Enjoyed on tap at Bier Station in Kansas City. Was tapped on 6-20-2013 as part of a Southern Tier tap takeover. Served in a small wide tulip glass.

A - Pours a dark, oily walnut brown with almost zero clarity. Slightly translucent around the edges. Head is creamy, about 3/4th finger and dissipates quickly, leaving a rim of foam around the edge of the glass. Lacing is slick and faint.

S - This is straight-up caramel and sweetness. Like a caramel macchiato. Very little of the chocolate-y charachetristics that come with milk stouts. If the taste is as sweet as the aroma, this is going to be like a melted milkshake. The name is very apt.

T - Thankfully, the sweetness is much more muted, but still present. Dulce de leche, cinnamon and vanilla overtones on a faint bittersweet base like burnt sugar. Reminds me a bit of a lighter, drier Kahlua.

M - Viscous and creamy with medium-to-heavy body. Light carbonation is just the right amonunt to keep it from feeling slimy. Lingering and sticky aftertaste.

Overall a unique and delightful beer. Would be perfect with the right desserts. Or AS dessert to be honest. Very tasty, but I do have a bit of a sweet tooth, so be warned. Definitely a sipping beer.

06-21-2013 23:11:18 | More by LambicPentameter
GreesyFizeek

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured on tap at The Half Pint in Rochester, NY. Got an eponymous half pint of this sweet beast of a beer.

Pours a dark, sticky black. Small head lingers, and leaves globs of beer sticking to the glass. Great lacing.

Smells like sugary milk, vanilla, and some slight roast.

An explosion of sweet taste that gets tiring after a while. Creamy, thick melted french vanilla ice cream, burnt sugar, leftover cereal milk, caramel, butterscotch. So sweet, and definitely cloying. Good in small amounths, about 4 oz.

Thick, creamy mouthfeel, full bodied.

A polarizer for sure. I can take a small amount a year and be happy with it.

03-06-2013 00:25:01 | More by GreesyFizeek
RWLawman

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Opaque, almost black in color, with generous khaki colored head.

S - Could smell it the second the waitress set the glass down on the table. Smelled exactly like a creme brulee dessert. Sugar, vanilla, with a touch of alcohol as well.

T - Delicious sweetness. Definitely detect the creme brulee in the flavor, and almost tastes like a Worther's candy. Vanilla and sugar, like you would think of the delectable dessert. Absolutely amazing. A little bit of alcohol bite on the back, as well.

M - Smooth, thick, creamy. A true dessert beer.

O - This proved to be an elusive beer for me. Finally lucked out at Villages Draft House in Raleigh, NC. I went to the bar for the sole purpose of trying this on beer, only to be told that they had sold out shortly before my arrival. The waitress was kind enough to convince the bar tender to squeak out just enough from the keg for a sample. Glad she did, because it was well worth the wait and the trouble.

01-05-2013 05:13:20 | More by RWLawman
CDGoin

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Heavy on the malt, and vanilla extracts, light on Hops. But if you like stouts, porters, anything with lots of malt and relatively few hops.. Then you will love this beer..

It is exactly what it is described as.. The Vanilla aromas smell just like a Creme' Brule and the finish is heavy but smooth.

The only thing I have to say against it, was that as smooth as the first taste was, there seemed to be a bitter finish. While it tasted quite good, the taste was trying to compete with what I think is one of the most aromatic beers I have ever had.

I will admit it was much better from the tap than it was from the bottle. In both cases it was exceptional.

01-03-2013 00:10:39 | More by CDGoin
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

Served on tap in a 12 oz glass

This beer is pitch black with some red tints around the edges. A foamy brown head sits on top for a shirt while. This beer caught me off guard at first, I was expecting a roasty sweet stout, which it is but it's more different then you may think. This beer has a good roasted malt flavor and a dry feel that lasts all the way through. There is a lot of chocolate and a possible hint of vanilla. Some coffee notes and a lot of caramel and toffee. The strongest flavor in this beer is unlike anything I have had in a beer before, Imagine a liquid form of Oreo Icing, mixed with coffee and served on a hershey bar. An extremely sweet beer, Its best in small portions because it is so sweet. The beer is not too thick but has a velvety smooth feel. This beer does not go well with a meal and is sure to be the only thing you can drink in a single setting. A great desert beer so treat it as such.

12-06-2012 01:32:01 | More by TwelveOunces
VelvetExtract

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

A-Pours a brown/black borderline hue. Nearly black, but the light does seep through fairly deep. So, super-dark brown it is. Head starts off fairly full but it dies down to nothing. Tan head turns into a thin bubbly island floating in the middle of my glass.

S-Ah Brûlée! Bitter chocolate notes and concentrated vanilla and toffee. Sweet custard and roasted coffee beans. Quite aromatic, quite pungent and quite attractive. Dulce de leche and butterscotch. Yum.

T-Ah Brûlée! The combination of purely sweet and bittersweet is pleasurable. All the notes found in the nose are carbon copied onto my tongue. White, dark and milk chocolate. Tiramisu and boozy chocolate cake. Reminds me of an espresso martini (in both flavor and alcohol content). Tasty and strong.

M-Lighter for the ABV and style. Fairly bitter and dry. Quite boozy. Perhaps my biggest critique of Creme Brûlée is that the booze is far from incognito. The body's lack of viscosity makes the alcohol more noticeable, but it makes each sip an easy transition into a big gulp. Drinkability is high despite the booze.

O/D-The only other Southern Tier Stout I have had in this format is their Choklat. I liked Choklat but found it to be a bit overrated. I enjoyed this one considerably more. Here I find less sickening sweetness and a bit more flavor diversity. Creme Brûlée coarser, but delicious nonetheless.

10-10-2012 02:10:02 | More by VelvetExtract