Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,363 | Hads: 4,182
3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle 2 of the blind test test that several us underwent to put our minds to the test, this one kind of took the cake for me. Truly an amazing beer, and probably the best Southern Tier that I've had yet.

Appearance: Dark dark cola brown, no light was coming through but when I held it up it showed just a flicker of a deep amber as well. Thin ring of head at the top, but not much really to speak of.

Smell: Strong sweet caramel/butterscotch. Wow. malty and a little bit of chocolate/cocoa in there. The smell made me a little nervous because sometimes things are a little too sweet...

Taste: The caramel/butterscotch is S-U-P-E-R present and it dominates - I thought I was eating some fancy desert as opposed to indulging in a beer. When I drank it, I also noticed a slight coffee taste to it as well, with a hint of bitterness in the back, but the sweetness really stood up front and took over this beer. Also a strong presence of alcohol in the back, but with the kind of ABV, you've gotta expect that.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, coats the entire mouth and leaves it a little sticky. Also, the carbonation was much more present that I thought it would be based upon the thick viscosity of this bad boy.

Drinkability: While this is an amazing beer and something to truly behold, I would have to put this a little lower because of the high ABV and strong sweetness to it. This is strictly an opinion though because the sweetness is a bit much for my personal palate. But still, you've gotta appreciate this one. (1,521 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -3%

A: This beer poured a very deep brown if not black, with no head. Very good looking pour

S: I loved it! Sweet like burnt sugar, chocolate, cream, and maybe some caramel

T: Way too sweet for me but very good. It tasted just like it smelled, which was sweet.

M: Smooth, malty, sweet it was what I expected.

D: I actually recapped this beer because my wife and I couldn't handle it all in one sitting. We went back to it 2 days later and it tasted the same so the recapping saved it. I would need to have like 6 people over to have a whole bottle. (548 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -37.1%

22oz bomber with cows on the label (down with that!)
Pours out a beautiful black color. Even with pretty vigarous pour, not much head, but it is light tan in color and laces sporadically. Smell is like candy, burnt sugary sweetness, coffee, caramel malts, and i swear butterscotch. Taste is disgusting. Way way way too sweet. Sticky caramel, butterscotch, chocolate and coffee lead to an incredibley hard to drink beer. I must say I do not really like sweet eats very much, but on occasion I'll have one. This beer however is ungodly sweet. Very hard to drink this. Lots of candy, sweet malty flavors, but i need some bitterness or some sort of balance, this is just way too far in the sickly sweet catagorey. Definitely one to share, preferably with someone who doesn't like beer, because this tastes nothing like one. The label says I should drink this at 42 degrees, maybe because this is at 43 degrees that it is this bad, but I doubt it. Ugh, this is gross, if I want dessert I'll get one; if I want a beer, I won't be drinking this. (1,038 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer I opened it and thought I was six years old in a candy shop. Literally the smell was so great I wanted it for my cologne. Very light head that you would expect from a stout. Left a light lacing in the snifter I used. Had a very sweet taste that was similar to its aroma. But while I was drinking it I was wishing I had someone to share it with. I guess the main downfall it has is that its too sweet for its own good. I highly recommend splitting a bomber with someone. (479 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

A - 1/2 finger of beige to light brown head. Beer is primarily black with faint shades of dark red and mahogany when glass is tilted. Very engaging!

S - The aroma in this beer was so good it was shocking at first! Big vanilla, butterscotch, milk chocolate, dark cocoa, and the kick of a high ABV beer. Has some very earthy qualities to it, also. I didn't want to lower the glass from my nose!

T - Heavy chocolate, whipped cream, caramel, and roasted barley. Less vanilla taste than the aroma led on, but just the perfect amount. Hop bitterness gives slight relief from the immense sweetness of the beer. Really well balanced and just fantastic.

M/D - These are the only categories where I gave a slightly lower score, mainly due to the fact that, even though it is a great tasting beer, I didn't find myself wanting to drink much of it. Overwhelming a bit, maybe? Either way, I highly recommend this beer! (908 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -65.5%

Everything is ok until you take a sip of this beer. The smell and the look are pretty nice but that's where the party ends.

The sweet flavor of the beer just tastes very fake and processed. It doesn't taste like Creme Brulee, it tastes like a non-fat yogurt or something. If you are new to southern tier don't let this one scare you away. (340 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to donkeyrunner for the bottle

Poured into a pint glass at 50 degrees.

Appearance: A jet black color with touch of highlight on the bottom of the glass. There was no head and when I tried to force it nothing appeared. There is a tan ring around the glass.

Nose: A heavy sweet cream, caramel, and vanilla for the initial aroma. To be honest it smells just like a custard. In the background of the beer you can smell the malt.

Taste: Caramel malt, sweet cream, vanilla is the dominate flavor. There is a subtle hops buried deep in this overtly sweet stout.

Overall: The mouth feel is full body and creamy. The finish is sweet and linger. No lie, this beer taste just like the dessert, except it is heavier with caramel. The beer is very sweet and definitely a sipper. I just didn't know what to expect from this beer. I have read they either love or hate, a love hate relationship. I love it, because it is an extreme beer and something many are not willing to try. Is it drinkable, yes and no. The beer is difficult to drink, but easy to sip. (1,056 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -24.9%

Viscous tar black with a thin but dense mocha head that leaves scant trails of lace.

Aroma has notes of chocolate, dark malt, and minimal roasty char and is absolutely dominated by overpowering sweet caramel and butterscotch notes. The vanilla is there, but simply adds to the intensely sweet hard candy aroma.

Unfortunately the flavor follows the same path. Nice chocolate and dark malt flavors are quickly brutalized by unrelenting butterscotch caramel. No subtleties here and the base stout struggles to be tasted. The bottle only discloses malt, hops, vanilla bean, and lactose as the ingredients. As someone who has brewed numerous vanilla beers I must add that there is a suspiciously artificial taste going on here. Either that or just an insane amount. A fresher sample may have more hop to counter the dessert sweetness.

Thick, creamy slick body and lighter carbonation make for a pleasant mouthfeel. Too bad the cloying butterscotch renders this almost undrinkable after half a glass.

Extremely difficult to finish half the bottle althouth I can appreciate what they were going for. A little over the top and I'm pretty over the top! (1,149 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Tarantula brownish black with blood red highlights. The beer is anything but a black hole and appears barely opaque when backlit with afternoon sunshine. Atop the liquid sits a golden brown sugar colored crown that gets the job done, including leaving attractive sheets of tattered lace on the upper reaches of the glass.

My nostrils don't have to get anywhere near the glass to appreciate the aroma. The beer smells like a flavored coffee drink that's dominated by caramel. I suppose it also smells like creme brulee, but I've only had that dessert once and that was more than 20 years ago. Do I smell coconut as well? Odd.

I can see how Creme Brulee is a polarizer. It's both different and delicious, but it's starting to wear out its welcome as the ounces cruise by. It doesn't seem possible that the brewers created this flavor profile with nothing more than dark caramel malt, vanilla beans and lactose. Then again, why not?

Creme Brulee is billed as an Imperial Milk Stout, but it doesn't really taste like it. That whole burnt sugar/creme caramel/vanilla vibe takes it in an entirely new direction. For my money, Southern Tier's Imperial chocolate stout (Choklat), Imperial coffee stout (Jahva) and Imperial oatmeal stout (Oat) are much, much better. Those first two are outstanding.

It's weird how I still taste coconut. That's in addition to the flavors described above, plus vanilla and melted milk chocolate. The Columbus and Horizon hops provide a background bitterness that keeps the beer from being overly sweet. In the end, it doesn't all come together as well as I'd like.

Considering the style and the ABV, the mouthfeel fails to close the deal. It's a fraction thin and isn't as creamy as it should be. The carbonation wouldn't be as noticeable in a plusher, more velvety brew.

The Black Water Series from Southern Tier contains some of the best beer on planet Earth. Unfortunately, Creme Brulee misses the mark (although not by much) because it pushes the envelope too far in one direction. Some love it, some hate it. I can take it or leave it. (2,070 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer pours deep black, opaque, with a small tan head, it even looks creamy, very inviting.

The disappointment here is that I can only really smell the vanilla added, with a bit of deep malt, but it doesn't reveal much.

The flavor is wow, creamy with lactose, vanilla, deep chocolate malts that balance the vanilla, no coffee noted here although it may round it out to perfection. I was sipping this thinking it's a prefect marriage of milk stout with the creme brulee flavors, have it as dessert or with chocolate desserts.

Really creamy mouthfeel with slickness and sweetness, just right. The drinkability is a bit lower than expected for the flavor as it's so heavy this is a one off sipper. The wife didn't like it, but if I'm stuck on an island a need a dessert beer this would be the one, along with New Glarus' Belgian Red. (837 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -3%

A: poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter. Very dark with a bit of brown head.

S: tons of vanilla bean, caramel malts, and alcohol

T: super sweet from start to finish. There is some interesting bitterness in the middle, a bit of acidity, and a nice alcoholic bite...but the sugar blows them all away. I like some sweet stouts but this one is just too much for me.

M: moderate body - not too thick or thin. Velvety but without any bubbles to speak of.

D: I probably wouldn't have been able to finish the bottle myself. Fun, enjoyable beer but only on rare occasion + with people to share (and can handle the omgsweet). (626 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +16.5%

Oh where to start. First off, ive never really had creme brulee and i hate custard.

I pour this brew and im kind of surprised at how dark it is. I expected it to be lighter because it was supposed to have a vanillasih taste.

Well, the smell is fan-freaking-tastic, if you like vanilla. Im more of a chocolate guy but man if this doesnt smell like a vanilla hot cocoa or a vanilla bean cappucino.

A taste of coffee, chocolate and a ton of vanilla assaults your taste buds like john wayne attacking Iwo Jima!

The mouth is smooth, thick, but not rich, and tasty.

Very drinkable. Where the choklat is overpowering later in the beer, and kind of bitter, the creme brulee is sweet, thick and not overpowering at all. A perfect balance of all the flavors. I could drink a few of these they are so good. (will revise if i wake up at night burping vanilla like i did the choklat) (879 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

22 oz. bottle tried 14 Nov 2008.

Poured in 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Medium tan head. Moderate carbonation. Very dark brown color. Aromas of vanilla, ethanol, burnt sugar, cream. Starts like chocolate whipped cream, then distinct bitter burnt finish. Aftertaste is sweet, deeply roasted. Ethanol and caramel throughout. Very sweet throughout, almost cloying. Vanilla custard in finish as well.

Good but the immense sweetness detracts somewhat from the drinkability. Need at least two people for this beer. (510 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16%

This is my first review here so here goes....

Served in a Dogfish Head 22 oz snifter glass. Slow pour yielded very little head, save a nice velvet lacing around the top of the glass. Appearance was jet black. Smelled of vanilla beans, birthday cake, and obviously of creme brulee. Southern Tier does a great job with using great aroma type hops in combination with unique add ins, which in this case saw Columbus hops paired with vanilla beans. Taste was candy sweet with a delicious vanilla and fudge after taste which seemed to linger on the taste buds. Detected a nice hidden bitterness, undoubtedly from the Horizon hops used. Mouthfeel was in the medium range. With sweet stouts, I would say that the mouthfeel was not quite as thick and creamy as Youngs Double Chocolate, but not as thin as Mackeson or Lancaster Milk Stout. In regards to drinkability, I would not have anymore than one of the 650 ml bottles that Southern Tier puts this in for several reasons. First of all, not only is this stuff 10 percent, but as with many other Southern Tier stouts (Oatmeal and Choklat) the alcohol is very well hidden beneath the sweet, candy like flavor. In short, this stuff will knock you on your butt if you are not careful. Secondly, one would probably not want to drink too much of this because of the intense sweetness. Being a stout drinker, I generally have one of these and follow up with a nice hoppy stout or porter like Guiness or Victory Storm King. Overall, the more and more I drink Souther Tier beers, the more I appreciate their craftsmanship and orginiality. It is a shame that this is a seasonal as I just happened to luck out and find a bottle at a local liquor outfit. The new batch comes out in June and I plan stockpile!!! I may even try and save a Choklat and mix the two together! A great sweet stout...highly recommended (1,845 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -48%

Bottle into snifter.

Pours dark brown with some light peeking through, and a slightly foamy, thin tan head.

Smell is butterscotch and a hint of roasty coffee.

Taste is big, sweet vanilla and butterscotch up front, with a touch of hop acidity peeking through and pairing with a sharp roastiness to bring the massive sweetness back in again. Unfortunately, the two balancing sides don't really mesh that well, and the result feels rather discordant, with the acidity being overemphasized by the slightly-too-sharp carbonation as well. Just a cloying, artificial tasting mess. I still cringe when I think of this beer.

Medium-heavy body and moderate to light but sharp carbonation.

Couldn't finish the bomber. (715 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

22oz bomber. purchased at least 6 months ago. cellared ever since. poured into tulip.

dark and opaque. good foamy head that fades to thin layer. somewhat sparse lacing.

smells of vanilla from the pour onwards, with notes of sweet cream. hint of chocolate and coffee CANDY.

flavor is cold, heavily-sweetened coffee, plus lots of vanilla again, but quite fresh. sweet, sweet, SWEET. balanced somewhat by a coffee-like bitterness, with hint of grassy hop. slight alcohol note brings in reminiscences of kahlua.

feel is quite smooth and lightly syrupy. moderate carbonation gives some lift to the heaviness.

ok, ok, it's not as bad as some people say. i'm probably not seeking it out again, but it may work for people unconvinced about dessert beers. the sweetness is cloying, and must be matched up with something like a raspberry and champagne white cake with buttercreme frosting, which is what i did. (905 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: black in color with a 2" head that lingers around a while.

Smell: loads of vanilla, roasted malts, and some coffee aroma are most notable.

Taste: big malt profile with loads of vanilla, dark bitter chocolates, brown sugar, and espresso. Bitterness helps cut into the big sweetness here.

Mouthfeel: heavier in body. Smooth from start to finish. Aftertaste is very long as the flavors stick to your tongue.

Drinkability: after completing the bomber bottle, I kind of lost interest in having any more. This is a one or two glass beer at best. (556 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep dark brown with a huge head and ample lacing. The aroma was of caramleized sugar and caramel with roasetd malts, with a hint of chocolate. Taste was amazingly like the actual dessert, huge caramelized sugar, vanilla, roasted malt, wow. A party for the taste buds, but perhaps a touch sweet for some? Mouthfeel was great, with much carbonation to coat all surfaces. Drinkability is a little limited, first due to the very high ABV, but also this can get a little much with the rich taste toward the end of the glass. A bomber really needs two people (at least) to maximize enjoyment. Think of this as dessert, as it is! (632 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%

I was pumped to try this, as Creme Brulee is my favorite desert item.

A - One finger head, sticks around for a bit. Lacing is present. Opaque.

S - Smells exactly like Creme Brulee, with the added influence of roasted grain. Indeed, the aroma blew me out of the water. For what it is, perfect.

T - Hmmm....after smelling it, I thought this was going to be a desert in a glass. But after having gone through a 22, I'm getting the distinct impression that taste is being placed on the back burner, in favor of aroma. It's really muddied, with caramel malts present, lactose, roasted grain. Cloying, and to be frank it was almost difficult to finish the 22. Not terrible, don't get me wrong, but I won't be having any more. Again, this coming from someone who enjoys both sweet stouts and creme brulee.

To its benefit, I wasn't detecting any significant amount of alcohol, which is a fairly decently feat for a 10% brew.

M - Mouthfeel was good. Silky. Carbonation was about right.

D - For a 10% ABV brew, the drinkability is quite good, in the sense that the strong alcohol content is not detectable. That said, the taste and muddiness kills the drinkability factor. I was having a hard time finishing a 22.

At the end of the day, creme brulee (the desert item) is as much a tactile experience as it is a taste experience. When you sit down and think about it, creme brulee in drinkable form is an unappealing thought...which is kind of what I'm left with when I look at this brew overall. (1,492 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks to Chris (cvfish) for providing a sample of this. And he got it from what may have been one of the last honest trades by one of BA's Most Wanted on the bad traders list! Thank God he wasn't a victim...

Pours a dark black color with a 1 finger tan head that leaves a fair amount of lacing. I only sampled about half a glass of this so its entirely possible I may be shortchanging the appearance a bit.

Wow, this is a very sweet smelling brew. Butterscotch, espresso, and brown sugar are clearly evident in the aroma.

The taste is very true to the name...creme brulee is definitely there, a very pronounced butterscotch with notes of rich coffee, sugar, and vanilla. Very sweet. Amazing.

Thick but not overbearing. The ideal dessert beer. Maybe this would be too rich for some, but I thought it was amazingly drinkable for being such a sweet treat. I would love to have to this one again. (898 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

The aroma is pure creme brulee, chocolate coffee liquer. The mouthfeel is above average, and yes it tastes like creme brulee. Coffee and the like are the biggest stomach irritants known to man, and this was no exception. Great job, but not something I will go for again. Dangerously high alchol, disguised of course behind the sugar.
Had this again 1.5 years later and it made a good sweet dessert at the end of a tasting, but just half a glass is enough. (455 characters)

22 oz.
Black pour with some brown around the edges. Off white/cream colored head. Quite a bit of lacing sticking to the glass with this one. Aroma very sweet with vanilla, mocha, brown sugar.
Flavor is heavy vanilla bean, followed by some roast malt and chocolate. Finishes just a hint of smoke and coffee bitter. Not quite creamy, which would really help if it was a bit more creamy. Lingers with you a bit, it really does taste quite a bit like creme brulee, especially when chilled. Gets a bit more diverse, and better, as it warms with more roasted tones coming through. The alcohol only peaks through a bit as it warms also, but still nearly non-existant for 10%.
A bit overpoweringly sweet for regular consumption, but certainly a worthy dessert beer. (757 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +24.9%

A - Poured black that produced a brown, fluffy head that retained nicely and left a beautiful lacing around the glass

S - The smell was great, vanilla beans is arousing, and the smokey hints tease

T - The taste is divine, I can't imagine how it only gets a B+, but the vanilla, expresso, and creamly taste makes me drool

M - Creamy, light carbonation, and some body

D - I would highly recommend this wonderful beer, my first Southern Tier and I was blown away! However, this is more of a novelty beer, and thats how I am rating it. Not something I would kick back and enjoy a game to, but a delicious beer for special occasions, and that is how I like it (658 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%

Pitch black hole body with no highlights, topped by two level fingers of light brown micro bubbles. Nice dripping lace.

Incredible vanilla nose impresses as soon as the cap comes off.

Sweet vanilla kicks things off. Roast coffee perking underneath. Lot of cream before the swallow. Sweet though not cloying aftertaste. Slight alcoholic heat belly afterglow.

Nice rich mouthfeel, did they smooth it with a blowtorch?

Surprisingly drinkable. Sweet but not over powering. Srong but not burning. Not something for a regular diet, but an interesting treat. (555 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -28.9%

22oz bottle poured into small glass. Shared with family and friends over the weekend. The label shows some cows grazing on a farm.

A- As expected Creme Brulee comes out a dark brown to black color. While in the glass this stout is as black as anything else in the Blackwater series. A 1/2 finger loose head creeps up and actually has some staying power before it vanishes. Moderate lacing.

S- OMG this is one sweet smelling brew and quite over powering with you guessed it creme brulee and vanilla beans with some butterscotch. The malts are present and welcomed by me. I smelled more of a hop presence in a fresh bottle but those hops are former shells of themselves now.

T- Guess what? This tastes like creme brulee so this is ST offering is not false advertisement. If you expect something else, well, i don't know what to do for you. This also tastes like peeling off the top creamy layer of a dozen plus butterscotch tasty cakes and stuffing them in your mouth. I'm sure there is a generous amount of hops and malts in this but they are not helping center this brew. There is an additional sweetness to creme brulee with distinct burnt sugar extract.

M- A pretty medium mouth feel that feels thicker then it is with the over abundance of sweetness coming from all angles. The sweet creme brulee taste lingers around forever, too long perhaps.

D- There is no way i could ever finish a bottle of this even 1/2. The most i can take at a time at most is a 5% and prefer less at a sitting. I have extra bottles of this so i love taking it to parties and watching unsuspecting people cringe drinking it even though i warn em before. I love desert beers but this one is way to much.

I love southern tier brewing and all the offerings i've had from them, but i don't see myself buying this again, unless a hot chick that loves sweets is looking for a brew. (1,860 characters)

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company