Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,363 | Hads: 4,177
4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Jet black with slight carbonation. Slight tan head.

S- Smells exactly like a creme brulee. You can definitely smell the caramel and vanilla.

T- Very sweet, much like drinking a creme brulee but more like thick syrup. A nice burnt sweet forefront that cascades to a creamy backend. The lactose sugar and vanilla masks the alcohol magnificently. I've had numerous beers that attempt to mimic desserts but this one truly nails it. This beer truly smells and tastes like a creme brulee. Outstanding job by Southern Tier.

M- Slight carbonation on the front of the tongue but overall a creamy mouthfeel.

D- I could drink this very easily and it goes down very easily for a 10% ABV imperial stout.

Overall- Very strange brew but very impressive offering. I'm impressed by Southern Tier's creativity and how well crafted this beer is. (834 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -40.6%

A sickeningly sweet, artificial taste that was hard to place and a texture in my mouth like motor oil and lidocaine. The numbness in my mouth from this horrible beer lasted all day, but the taste was still on my tongue the next. Worse than a hangover. The people who rave about this have obviously never had a great Crème Brulee because this doesn't capture the taste or feel of one at all. (391 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -32.5%

This is the second beer in the controversy series, thanks to SBALDWIN...and once again, no freshness date.

Poured this bomber into a snifter...another thin head that immediately vanishes. Some minimal root beer cream soda lacing noted on the sides of the glass. Deep brown body with some ruby highlights. Not overly impressive to look at.

Wow! This smells right down my alley. Large doses of burnt sugars, butterscotch, and a hit of bourbonesque alcohol vapors. Light notes of coffee and caramel peeking through the foreground.

It happened again...burnt bitter caramel up front with a super sweet artificial finish. Almost comparable to a rum and vanilla coke. Lots of imitation vanilla all the way through...

I'll sum up the mouthfeel and drinkability together being as though they both fail miserably. There was no body to this beer...it was a watery overcarbonated syrup that is too artificially sweet to be enjoyed.

Simply put...GREAT IDEA=EPIC FAIL!

I don't like the direction that my beer drinking has taken me lately. I'm looking forward to breaking into the cellar soon and bringing out some grade A stout bombs so I can find out if it's the brews or if it's me. (1,176 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours dark black with little head and little lacing. Scent is very pronounced - caramel and vanilla. It was something I couldn't stop smelling just because of the uniqueness. The taste is of caramel, butterscotch, and then mocha. Very sweet. I find it somewhat hard to judge the taste since it's very unique and complex - but it's just overwhelming. It is medium-thick-bodied and seems somewhat syrupy, but this might just be a result of the mental association with the sweet taste. I enjoyed how unique this was, but it is not something I can drink a lot of, it's just too sweet and overwhelming. I was unable to finish a 22oz in one sitting. (643 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

Very dark brown without much of a head. Strong vanilla nose with some chocolate but mostly vanilla and lots and lots of it.

This is truly a dessert beer, sweet and sticky with a soft, smooth feel to it. Vanilla flavor is almost over the top. Burnt sugar hides behind the vanilla. Somehow they managed to get creme brulee into a bottle. It's definitely a sipper for after dinner.

I don't think many will be neutral about this one but for me, it was nice. (455 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours black with a thick tan head. Head fades quickly, leaving some lacing around the edges.

Smells is dominated by vanilla and caramel. Some burnt sugar and butterscotch. Lactose is noticable. Very sweet.

Tastes like a latte. Vanilla and caramel come trough strong again. Toffee or butterscotch flavors are noticeable. A definite hop presence as well. Alcohol is there a little at the end.

Mouthfeel is creamy with some carbonation. Exactly as I expected it to feel.

Overall drinkablity is high. If you're into milk stouts or sweet stouts, this is for you. Possibly the sweetest beer I've had, so this definitely appeases my sweet tooth. Not sure if I could drink these all night but it is an excellent experience. (747 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +24.9%

Creme Brulee Imperial Milk Stout is an excellent dessert beer, NOT a session beer at all. I've only seen this available in large pint bottles and is a seasonal summer release brewed by the wonderfully creative folks at Southern Tier. Pours a dark brown with decent clarity and a negligible head. The smell/nose is INCREDIBLE! The second you pour this your slapped in the face with overwhelming aromas of real vanilla beans. A first sip confirms what you smell and the back notes are full of toffee, java, and roasted nuts. The [mouth] feel is very common of other milk stouts; creamy with an appropriate amount of carbonation. The only downfall to this is that it is overwhelming after a while(as any real creme brulee is). If you like vanilla and good coffee I highly recommend this, I also recommend that you split it with some friends as the ABV is around 10% and finishing a whole pint yourself will leave you feeling a little gluttonous. (942 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

last beer in a night of stouts.

full head with plenty of retention.

aroma is out of control. butterscotch, werthers originals, others were saying it was exactly like the generic brand of yellow plastic wrapped butterscotch candies found in every convenience store. i dont remember them, so i cant attest to that, but everyone else was in agreement over that. vanilla extract, milky caramel, a touch of nut, a touch of... tree? perfumey with weird but very minimal hints of spice and maybe watermelon. some oddities buried under the butterscotch.
also, about twenty minutes after the bottle had been poured, i left the room and upon walking back, i could smell it from outside the room. the most aromatic beer ive had.

taste is ultra creamy milk, vanilla, butterscotch. some of that perfume here as well.

creamy with a cola carbonation.

the sweetness really impedes the drinkability. would highly dissuade anyone from tackling a bottle by his- or herself. everything else is thumbs up delicious, though. my friend justin said something along the lines of "its beers like that that show me how far beer has come. turning water into fancy-ass water..." and its not fancy water. its definitely fancy-ass water. wow. (1,217 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance:
Black with red highlights, creamy tan head of about 1/4 inch that falls to a ring and minimal lacing.

Smell:
Sweet milk caramel, vanilla and a mild background of deep roasted malts and hints of alcohol. Candy in a glass.

Taste:
This is definitely an imperial. Huge sweet caramel and vanilla front with a bit of roasted malts, has quite the kick of alcohol and finishes with the slightest hint of bitterness from something perhaps referred to as "hops". WoW.

Mouthfeel:
Thick and smooth, slight carbonation and fills the mouth. Heavy bodied but does not coat the mouth.

Drinkability:
Buy one of these to split as it is intensely strong but wow, there's a lot of beer in that beer. I'll be done (and happy) after one of these.

Comment:
Impulse buy by my wife. We have tried other Southern Tier brews. Nice pick. (827 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer poors pretty dark, almost black, with a nice white heads that lingers. Lacing is ok.

S: Vanilla and Coffee are the most presnt in this. I also found notes that would be very similiar to a butterscotch candy.

T: Vanilla and sweet cream up front, followed by espresso and dark chocolate. Tasty, but different.

M: This beer is very smooth and creamy, with a medium carbonation. Basic stout mouth feel.

O: Not a bad beer, it is on the sweet side but nobody said that was bad. This would pair nicely with a variety of deserts. Again, this one is worth a try. (571 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -56.6%

This is a beer I cannot get into, I was so pumped when it came out, I drove to the brewery and found that it was the worst tasting beer at Soutern Tier. It tasted so fake, like they used some real cheap off flacoring to give it that sweet taste. And it was more vanilla tasting than I thought it should be. It does look nice and smell pretty good but it end there. (364 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance:
Dark like a dark chocolate. Not quite opaque, but difficult to get an eye through. A bit of foamy head which leaves a pleasant lacing.

Smell:
Whoa! Creme brulee all the way! This was definitely made to smell like dessert. Vanilla, chocolate, caramel... I don't even know what else to say. This is beer, right?

...Right?

Taste:
Vanilla and coffee beans, with a chocolatey sweetness. It's kind of milky too, certainly more so than a lot of milk stouts I've had. A bit of heat comes in as I swallow, but it isn't upsetting. There's a bitterness, but it reminds me way more of a strong coffee than hops. Not to say there isn't a hops presence though. It's just in the background, and has more of a grassy quality.

Mouthfeel:
Thick like milk, and medium/low in carbonation. You can definitely taste it for a while.

Overall:
Well, I have no reason to lie. I love this beer. I'm a big vanilla bean fan though, so if you're not a vanilla person you should skip this. I for one wish this was available all the time, as I have a hard enough time finding the vanilla beers I lust after. This is well made, and makes a delicious desert or sweet snack beer. Just look out for the ABV. (1,188 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Purchased a couple bottles of this beer with the intent on using one to bake with and the other to share with my girl. We're sharing one now and I have to say it's rather enjoyable although I can't see myself drinking a whole bottle so I'm glad I'm sharing this one.

It smells as advertised, extremely sweet. Lots of caramel and vanilla. Vanilla extract strong. Some maltiness but the sweet notes overpower everything. I also get some booze and a little chocolate as well.

The taste bakes the nose up. Vanilla, caramel, sugar, and more sugar. Some roastiness on the back end and a little bit of malt as well. I also get some bitter chocolate and a bit more booze on the palate than on the nose. The mouthfeel is heavy, really heavy. It's almost too heavy but it suits the style so I forgive the weight of it.

It's a really interesting beer and one I'm glad to have tried. As I said earlier, I don't think I could drink a whole bomber on my own but this is certainly a beer I'll drink once or twice a year. Once or twice will be it though. I can't wait to eat the brownies my girlfriend is going to make with the other bottle. (1,131 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

Just a shade shy of pitch black with a surprisingly light tan slight head that quickly becomes just a ring. Leaves some lace, but not enough to get excited about. Smell is SWEET. It smells like Creme Brulee. I mean almost exactly like creme brulee. Loads of vanilla and some cocoa. No perceptible alcohol or yeast here. Taste follows exactly where you would expect it to. Loads of vanilla, some marshmallow, and a hint of cocoa. Actually it reminds me very much of creme brulee flavored salt water taffy, but I'm not sure why. This comes across as more of a liqueur than a beer, but again no detectable alcohol warming. Feel is thick and somewhat viscous. Drinkability is low, mostly due to the almost overwhelming sweetness. Well worth a try, if only for the uniqueness. (771 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from the bomber into a tulip.

Do you like sweet things? You may like this beer. Do you like sweet things that are so sweet they make you exclaim, 'aahhh?' Then that's one step in the right direction. Do you like things that are so sweet they're fluffy pink kittens that poop rainbows? Then Southern Tier's Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout is the beer for you.

The Crème Brûlée Stout pours like a normal stout, motor oil dark. If you hold the beer up to the light it'll eclipse that shit, which is a quality I greatly appreciate in a beer. My pour yielded very little head and I poured it intentionally to yield the maximum amount of head possible. The smell of this beer rocks my nose senses to the max! Seriously, I wish they made candles that smelled like this, because I'd totally go fruity and buy some and have 'em lit 24/7.

"What's that smell? It's like only six in the morning."
"That's mo' fuckin' vanilla mocha sex!"

You know there's vanilla in the beer the moment you smell it, you would have known before that if you read the label. The smell of the vanilla is very dominant, but also present are chocolate characteristics and a hint of coffee. It really smells like a vanilla caramel mocha. Drinking it drives this point home. But boy is Crème Brûlée Stout sweeet! Drinking it can be a little taxing, so you absolutely have to take your time drinking, a sipper as it were. There's a slight amount of hops present but the vanilla beats the hops down like they're Oliver asking for more. It's called Imperial Crème Brûlée Stout for a fucking reason. This is a great dessert beer. In fact I had it once with some double layered chocolate cake and it made my dick move.

Take your time with this beer and if you enjoy sweet things then you'll like this beer. The mouth-feel is thick and rich, it's a real delight to drink. The smell is wonderful and the taste is very unique. Try it.

Plus there's totally cows on the label, what's not to love? (1,976 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%

I've heard a lot of good things about Southern Tier, so I picked up this, Pumking, and Mokah. Here goes nothing.

22oz bottle with no date served into a Goose Island pint glass at 42 degrees (as stated on the bottle).

A- Pour yields roughly one finger of mocha colored head that disappears a little too quickly for my liking. I prefer a nice beer moustache from time to time...Jet black color with some carbonation bubbles collecting on the sides. Looks okay.

S- Really unique. Smells of an extremely rich dessert coffee. Lots of vanilla in here, some cinnamon (dare I say). Smells like a birthday cake.

T- Just like the nose, it has a superb richness to it. Some cappuccino, coffee, vanilla. I say some, but what i mean is "up the wazoo". How much sugar is in this?

M- perhaps there is a little too much carbonation, but the beer is incredibly smooth for 9.6%.

O- Based on reading other reviews, I expected this to be a little out there in terms of originality and uniqueness. I've had nothing like this before, and while it's a really fun beer to have, it's not something I'll be going back to too often, mainly because it's extremely rich. It's a true sipper. Maybe it's just me, but this tasted more like a tiramisu than it did creme brulee, but I love both, so who cares? (1,285 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark as night, creamy latte-like froth along the top. Smells like bitter chocolate and caramel. It's incredible if you like flavored stouts. Flavor follows the nose, but it's far more intense. Opens like a high ABV Stout, ends like an Iced Frappacino. What impressed me most was the finish. Your mouth is left with a feeling similar to finishing a satisfying desert, not a beer. That alone makes this beer worth being revisited. (428 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +23.6%

This is the most original beer that I have ever tasted. It tasted like I was drinking caramel sauce. It was sweet and delicious. It had a thick mouthfeel. Served ice cold, it tasted like I was drinking a milkshake. I couldn't sit there drinking it all night, but I couldn't think of anything I would rather drink with my dessert. This is the best tasting beer I've ever had. And they hide the fact that is 10% alcohol very well. (428 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +9.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into Southern Tier tulip
A- Deep black, Held up to light dark ruby red, Off-white/tannish head builds quickly and then fades away into almost nothing soon after
S- Big time vanilla, caramel, sweet chocolate and sugar, smells like something I want to sink my teeth into
T- Intense sweetness, caramel, vanilla, cappucino and burnt sugar, not complex but very delicious
M- Big, smooth and creamy, nice bit of carbonation on the tongue
O- Maybe the most unique beer I've ever had, Enjoy a few bottles of this every year, not for everyone, but for a dessert beer they really nailed this one (606 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -65.5%

Everything is ok until you take a sip of this beer. The smell and the look are pretty nice but that's where the party ends.

The sweet flavor of the beer just tastes very fake and processed. It doesn't taste like Creme Brulee, it tastes like a non-fat yogurt or something. If you are new to southern tier don't let this one scare you away. (340 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

Where do I start. I poured a bottle of this into my snifter and was speechless.

Without a doubt, the best smelling beer I have ever known. Smells of sweet cream, vanilla, caramel, and roasty coffee. Taste was just as remarkable as smell. Tastes of creme, coffee, caramel, and vanilla coated the palate with a creamy goodness. Sweet but not too sweet. All ingredients compliment each other in perfection. Drinkability suffers just a bit because of its desert like nature. I couldnt drink a whole lot of this at one sitting, but damn I wish I could. Un"F'n"believable. Love it!!! (578 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Again I find milk stouts too rich for me. It seems like there is a protein element present that is off putting. This one looks great and the body is nice and thick. The nose is strong butterscotch which would be quite nice if it were toned down a bit. It's just too sweet and strong. The taste is similarly overloaded to the point that I finds self just trying to get it down instead of spending any time with it. I don't want to knock it too much since others seem to be high on it, just coming to the conclusion that this family is not for me. (551 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +14%

Fresh batch bottled on June 28th, 2012. 22 oz. bottle split 3 ways with 2 friends.

Appearance: Pours a midnight black with a finger of a brown head.

Smell: Smells like vanilla frosting. No joke.

Taste - Taste is vanilla in your face with slight burned malts, chocolate, and a tinge of alcohol but not even close to being overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium.

Overall: One of the most unique beers I've ever had. Absolutely 1 in a million. Insane. Great beer. (474 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a deep dark black with big, tan head that sticks around and leaves a lot of thick lacing.

I forgot the name of this beer real quick and when I went smell it I said, Woah! Burnt sugar. Well, duh. More butterschotchy, roasted notes than vanilla, really, but this thing smells like a creme brulee, or even more a vanilla frappicino from *$s.

Super sweet. Tastes like the smell. I feel like I'm drinking a frappe. Sweet, flavored espresso. Holy crap this beer is a sipper. Dessert in a bottle.

Mouth feel is just as creamy as it should be. Nice and thick, smooth, Alcohol is well hidden. Bravo. (599 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Has a deep black color is about a half finger worth of head.

S: This has an incredibly intense aroma. The smell of sweet vanilla dominates. Can pick up a little bit of coffee, but it is hard to not notice anything other than the vanilla.

T: The front of this one starts off tasting like a standard coffee flavored stout. It quickly progresses to the vanilla noted in the smell and has a smooth sweet finish. Overall it is hard to describe this beer other than a sweet dessert beer. I haven't had anything like it before. It is good, but something I wouldn't drink too much of due to the sweetness. (602 characters)

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company