Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,373 | Hads: 4,251
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottling. Had it in the cellar since July. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a deep black with a slight tan head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Huge custard and vanilla notes. Smells like . . . .what else ? . . . .creme brulee.

Taste: Follows the nose. Big notes of vanilla bean and custard. I also taste some stone fruit, hop bitterness, milk chocolate, molasses, more vanilla, and earthy spice. All of this is complimented by warm alcohol.

Mouthfeel: It's medium bodied, but the finish is long and complex - a solid 1 to 2 minutes after each sip.

Overall: Wow, this beer aged well. Accessible, yet complex. Multifaceted, but it emphasizes the vanilla. Just really darn good. Would definitely buy again.

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

Picked this up during a trip north to MN. 650ml poured into an Ommegang chalice.

a- opaque, woody dark brown with a thin tan head.

s- smell is amazing. Right away I can tell this brew is aptly named. A big hit of real good vanilla/butterscotch pudding. Undertones of rich coffee and chocolate round out the wonderful aroma. This really just smells like a rich dessert. Very faint alcohol presence masked heavily by the dessert aromas. Impossible to resist. I could smell this forever.

t- Starts with burnt sugar and a lot of vanilla bean and toffee. A lot of roasted and caramel malt comes through in the middle, reminding me that this is a stout, Then a slightly boozy finish with the satisfying, creamy insides of the dessert. I was expecting this to be far from an imperial stout in the taste, and am pleasantly surprised. The sweetness is powerful, but this still tastes like a stout to me. The finish is a lingering vanilla, milk and burnt sugar, like having just eaten a delicious creme brulee. As a dessert lover, this is awe-inspiring to me.

m- medium to full-bodied beer with VERY little carbonation. I definitely wish it had a tad more life to it in that regard. The full body complements the flavors wonderfully, though.

d- well, what can I say. This beer is pretty much the ultimate dessert drink. Heck, I would make this beer the focal point of a dessert. I think drinking an entire bomber of this by oneself is a tad much, but me and my sweet tooth enjoyed every drop. Very, VERY good beer and unlike anything I've ever tasted.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: Jet black, opaque and a little thick looking. Topped with a thin, bubbly mocha colored head that quickly dissipates, leaving a ring around the top of the beer

Aroma: You can smell this as soon as you pour it, and man, does it smell good! It really does smell like legit crème brulee. The first thing that hits your nose is that delicious burnt sugar that you find on top of the desert. It's carmelly and sweet with some notes of vanilla in the background. Underneath that, you can pick up hints of coffee and maybe some roasted malts. Awesome.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mmm. The taste is pretty spot on to the nose. Vanilla, burnt sugar, caramel, dried fruit, roasted coffee and malts follow each other in this delicious medley of flavors and finish in a slightly bitter, burnt aftertaste. This beer is soooo good. It tastes like desert, but not in a cloying or overpowering way. Granted, I have a sweet tooth, but man. Delicious. The mouth feel is medium and possibly a little chewy. It's not super carbonated at all... If I had any complaint, it would be that this beer isn't creamy enough. By no means is it thin, but I feel like a beer as delectable as this one should be super creamy and thick. But that could be just me.

Notes: This is GOOD beer. The only problem is, as far as drinkability goes, it just has too much flavor. I'm trying to make my way through a bomber (done with half) and I'm getting a little overwhelmed. Kind of like... I'll eat one crème brulee happily, I'll even dig into the second one with a smile on my face... but half way through that second desert, man, I'm full.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours a dark thick black with a thin layer of tan head.

S: Smells like caramel as soon as I open the bottle. There's also notes of coffee, vanilla and chocolate

T: Vanilla and caramel are dominate, there's also a flavor of hazlenuts and chocolate. Over the beer is fairly sweet with a hint of bitterness at the finish.

M: Creamy body with a light carbonation

D: The sweetness is a little strong but overall this beer made a nice last beer of the night drink

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

On Draft at my new favorite beer bar, The Coffee District in Delray Beach, FL

A- Dark black body no light penetration and a creamy off-tan head. head stays through the glass while thinning to the rim of bubbles w/ some in the center, served cold in a cigar city snifter.

S- BUTTERYY, mmm with the alcohol smell it smell of a sweet butterscotch. slight malty smell to back the candy like smell.

T- Creamy buttery and caramalized flavors with strong alcohol mid sip. sweetness from start to finish with not much bitterness only some roasty flavors to balance. dry alcohol finish with 9.8% ABV with some sweet, but not overbearing.

M- Creamy medium body mouthfeel although dryness from alcohol makes it a thinner medium. dry from midsip and finish which is nice since it keeps the beer drinkable.

O- This is a dessert beer dream, very sweet so i don't think it would be more than a glass unless its really your thing (also due to high alcohol). Butterscotch flavors and high alcohol content also make it reminiscent of a liquor so this also docks its drinkablity for me. had a nice lambic type ale after and it was a good beer set for the night. an enjoyable draft treat.

1.78/5  rDev -54.7%

A: Extremely dark brown, near black, with very little head. Some lacing.

S: Like vanilla extract and butterscotch.

T: Like flavor concentrates: butterscotch, vanilla, and maybe some of that chocolate cheesecake flavor from Nature's Flavors that I ruined more than one dessert with. Everything over the top, much too intense. Like trying to drink an overly-flavored dessert made by a very heavy-handed chef. The butterscotch, above all, stood out - and that's a flavor I really detest. This didn't seem to be a diacetyl-induced butterscotch, but something added - from a bottle - in the secondary. (I know that's not what they did; it says on the bottle they used real vanilla beans, for one - but it tastes like flavor extracts.) Aftertaste is of saccharin.

M: Sort of slippery. Coats the tongue and will not let it go. Almost puckers the tongue with the intensity of the flavors.

D: I could not finish it. The sink, I'm afraid, got part of it. I would have gladly given it to someone who could appreciate it properly if they'd been there.

I am definitely not part of the target market for this beer. First off, I should have read on the label the part about it being a milk stout. Oops. No wonder it upset my stomach. I can't have any milk product that hasn't been turned into hard cheese or yogurt without my innards complaining. Second, I had a big sweet tooth about 15 years ago; I would even have dessert with lunch sometimes. These days, however, given the option of a sugary dessert or an IPA, I'll pick the IPA every time. It just doesn't occur to me to eat sweets.

Southern Tier has been one of my favorite regional brewing companies. For now I'll stick to their IPA and Phin and Matt's, and hope their next big beer is more to my liking.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Picked up a 22 oz bomber of this the other day. Creme brulee stout looked very interesting.

Appearance was jet black with a caramel head. No light came though when held up to the light. The initial smell was exceptionally strong with an overpowering vanilla and caramel taste. The taste was also strong. I think too strong and too sweet. As the beer is consumed the taste becomes too much to handle.

I could see drinking about 4 oz of this as a dessert. The 22 oz I tried to drink proved to be far too much.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours complete darkness of night with no moon in sight. Nice brown head that leaves minimal lacing throughout session. Smell is in your face vanilla beans with alcohol lurking far behind. Tastes like sweet, sweet vanilla and caramel. Extremely sweet. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth. Little carbonation makes it seem thicker. Drinkability: because it's so sweet isn't the best. I downed a bomber, but I don't think I'd go further than that. Very tasty though, a desert all in itself.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

S/ sweet vanilla

T/ sweet vanilla toffee taste with hits of stout
alcohol taste

M/ like a the sweet custard after dinner sweet and good

D/ lot of fun an after dinner beer good try

if you have dinner and after dinner a custard dessert drink this beer. alse sweet cheese is great with this beer.

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Looks super dark, but not pitch black, not a lot of lacing, a nice pour

S - It smells like dessert, I mean I couldn't smell it enough. I wanted to share the smell with the world, smells like cake, I am not kidding, it's a very strong smell, but an inviting one.

T - Super super sweet, the sweetness hits you first like a punch to the kisser, its straight up burnt sugar or burnt marshmallows , second is hints of vanilla with caramel, the vanilla and caramel go away and we are left with the taste of the burnt sugary sensation along with some malt, and just the slightest hint of alcohol

M - Super chewy....think and smooth, creamy, not the easiest going down cuz its heavy, u need to sip it, it is not meant to be chugged down in a few seconds

O - the taste is very strong and I think it took away from the experience a little bit, I will try it again later at a different temp (when I had this it was over 50 degrees I'm sure). It still wasn't bad, I think you actually get used to the taste as you drink it. The smell and mouth feel are incredible, in fact the smell itself makes it really. Worth a try if u like something really sweet. I'm also gonna try it with some vanilla ice cream next time.

2.66/5  rDev -32.3%

As my sister in law's interest in craft beer grows by association....I was gently prodded to pick one of these up for a sampling. Split 3 ways with my swill loving brother & his open minded wife.

A ~ Black coffee colored with a creamy, tan 1 finger head. Sticky lace left a soapy film on the glass.

S ~ Without question the BEST part of this beer. You could smell this throughout the room as soon as it was opened. "OOOH ~ Lemme smell, lemme smell"
* (About now a little voice is telling me to remember this is beer!)
It smells like SWEET dessert. Vanilla pudding, butterscotch, caramel, sweet baked goods, cotton candy & English toffee. As the beer warmed it had a warm boozy, almost Brandy smell to it.

T ~ Unbalanced & over done at best. Waaaay too sweet on the front. For the most part, the mouth follows the nose here. Burnt sugar, toffee, vanilla, butter cream & hints of coffee & milk chocolate. I did think I noticed a hint of roasty malt ~ but not enough to focus on. A little bitter on the finish. Breathing in over the glass is boozy & aromatic.

M ~ Full bodied. Deceptive carbonation. Slick, slippery mouthfeel with a lingering bitter after taste. Sticky & oily. Warm swallow reminds you that its alcohol. Sweet, cloying film on my lips and a hot tip of the tongue.

D ~ Overall I'd have to say I was disappointed.
Hard to finish. This is a sipper IF you're liking it (BIG IF) ~ an unusual, albeit failed attempt at an Imperial Stout IMO. A novelty that should be filed & listed as one. Definitely a one timer. ....no matter what you pair it with ~ ice cream, chocolate, vanilla pudding, maybe even Creme Brulee. Someone said "You can put lipstick on a pig...it's STILL a pig!" This aint beer to me.

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a dark black brown, not the darkest stout I have seen, with a thin caramel brown head. A lot going on in the aroma department, lots of sweet caramel smells; toffee, butterscotch, some nuttiness, and subtle vanilla cream comes through in the end. Tastes just as it smells, a whole lot of carmel maillards. It really socked my taste buds with toffee and butterscotch at first, then a creaminess settles in that finishes with a slight bitterness that lingers on the tongue. After my palate recalibrated itself to the initial intensity of the caramel flavors did the vanilla come through. The mouthfeel is what I might describe as molasses, it really coats the mouth, I can still feel the sugars on my lips as I write this review. It is good, and clears the mouth relatively well for such sweetness, but it is a lot to take in. I shared a bottle of this with my wife for dessert, definitely glad I did not have this one to myself. I really recommend trying this one out, it is a very interesting beer, but I may just leave it at that.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Belmont Station; served in a tulip snifter.

A - pitch black; tan head that dissipates quickly; no lacing.

S - it's a bit like shoving one's face into a jar of cake frosting, with hints of chocolate, vanilla bean, and caramel. Novel, potent, and not at all like a beer -- very surprising, given the unassuming appearance.

T - vanilla frosting, chocolate, and caramel, with the creaminess one would expect from a milk stout. The finish burns slightly of alcohol, counterbalancing what would otherwise be an overwhelming sweetness. Doesn't taste particularly like creme brulee, but definitely like dessert.

M - the tap's additional infusion of carbonation makes it slightly abrasive -- the bottle has the edge. Still smooth enough to compliment the flavors. Faintly reminiscent of a milk shake.

D - the drinkability suffers, as the flavors and the alcohol quickly snowball. But this beer isn't meant to be a particularly easy drinker, just as creme brulee isn't effortlessly devourable. Better with food and friends, or saved for a special dessert.

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz Bomber / Snifter glass

A: Black with a creamy beige head.

S: Caramel, vanilla, lactose & brown sugar, reminds me of a "Werther's Original" candy.

T: Caramelized sugar, a "cafe con leche" hint, bits of caramel malt and sweet vanilla.

M: Nice and creamy with medium to full body. Flavor is long lasting and tongue coating.

D: A bit sweet, but as a dessert beer...it's perfect!!! I couldn't fathom making a session of this beer, but I guess that's not the purpose here.

I can pair this with Vanilla ice cream and fresh raspberries.

Can you say FLAN!!!

4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

A - Pours a silky black. Possibly some deep deep red tones in there as well. Has a very small very tight mocha colored head that diminishes to a 1-2mm ring.

S - The smell alone won me over. I am getting Butterscotch, caramel, coffee, and vanilla. This is perhaps one of the best smelling beers I have ever drank.

T - As good as it smells. It is sweet, but not too sweet. I am getting espresso, some caramel notes, a very slight roasted barley bite but it is mainly hiding in the backround, not letting this beer become cloyingly sweet. Alcohol is almost completely hiddin. I am very impressed.

M - A great mouthfeel. This beer glides over your tounge. Very silky texture. Carbonation is medium low.

O - A am so glad I decided to try this one out. I am not dissapointed. I am planning to go back and grab a few more bottles to cellar. One of the best sweet stouts I have ever had.

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

22oz. bomber poured into tulip shaped glasses.

A: A black body with a milk chocolate brown edge where the light transcends through this headless brew.

S: The nose is extremely rich, overflowing with vanilla, french toast, and birthday cake. It is not very balanced, it is more just kick you in your face sweet.

T: Happy Birthday to us, It smells like a Birthday cake, and it tastes like one too! There is the slightest bitterness in the back of the palate but besides that it is just over the top sweet.

M: Medium-bodied with light carbonation. a warming from the alcohol presence.

D: Its like a delicious desert that is too rich to have more than one small serving. We will stop with just the one glass.

The Kings of Hop

3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

About a pint from the tap into a semi-translucent plastic cup (9-2-2010, notes written down later that night from memory). Dark brown black with 1 cm tan brown head reducing down to just a ring of bubbles after a while.

Aroma of creme brulee is very strong almost to the point of feeling artificial. Underneath is a bit of roasted coffee. Taste is also very sweet creme brulee, coffee, just the barest maltyness, very slight earthy herbalness, with a very light sour tang. Overwhelmingly sweet!

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied. Medium low carbonation, not as creamy as would probably befit the taste. If it were a lot creamier, the feel would be more simpatico with the taste.

Drinkability is low for me, one is more than enough. Personally not a fan as it feels kinda gimmicky, just not for me. Definitely something for only certain moods, maybe like a beer dessert in winter after a good hearty steak dinner.

1.5/5  rDev -61.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This beer is absolutely horrible. The smell is obnoxious and unappealing. The taste is worse. It has one of the worst aftertastes I've ever experienced; somewhat medicinal and just downright nasty. The beer looks good, however; its opaque, almost black, and pours a nice tan, one finger head. Unfortunately, it's all looks, and no taste. I couldn't finish this one. I read other descriptions and I guess my taste buds aren't refined enough because I didn't taste cocoa, chocolate, Creme brûlée, vanilla or anything else described in this beer. It's horribly sweet and unappealing. Won't be buying this again.

2.87/5  rDev -27%

This rating would have been lower if not for the redeeming quality it has when mixed with Southern Tier's Pumpking. As for the Creme Brulee on it's own--22 ounces is just too much for it to be enjoyable. What I mean by that is, the first few sips seem good enough. You get the sweetness and the taste of Creme Brulee. Then, the alcohol flavor hits. And keeps hitting. By the time you get halfway through the 22 ouncer, which it is only sold in, it is just overpowering and the beer becomes a bit harsh. Amazingly, however, when mixed with Southern Tier's Pumpking(also available only in 22 ounces) it becomes what is known as a Creamy Pumpkin and it is outstanding. One of the best beer mixes I have had, to be honest. But, unfortunately for the Creme Brulee, I am rating it mostly on its own merrit, which is subpar at best.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

A - pours dark and thick, with a small but dense tan head. There's a far amount of lacing as well.

S - wow, sweet and dense. It smells strongly of vanilla/caramel/butterscotch.

T/M/D - this is one interesting beer! It's heavy and sweet and malty, and even has a bit of a burnt aftertaste (much like real creme brulee). The stout flavor and the vanilla and caramel are very apparent too. This would make a nice surrogate for dessert, but it is much too heavy to drink much of.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Deep brown/black, small but solid head. Opaque. Looks tasty.

Smell: Definitely creamy and sugary. Actually smells a LOT like creme brulee. Not much as far as familiar beer-y smells, but that's not a bad thing here. I honestly can't stop thinking about cracking the caramelized top. Yum. Naturally, there's some caramel there, too.

Taste: Sweetness and bitterness up front, mingles into mild bitterness on the way out. A nice smoothness.Well-balanced by my measure except for a moment midway through the taste when the bitterness overwhelms the sweet side, but only for a second.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth for the most part, carbonation just right for me.

Overall: I really like this. Definitely a desserty beer, but good. 9/10 would drink again.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

A- Dark brown almost black with a thin layer of head

s- Vanilla and caramel shout out through the smell of this beer

T- Sweet Vanilla and caramel taste just like the smell. strong malt background as well. Just a ton of flavor coming at you

M- Thick and creamy

D- Perfect desert beer.

I have have had this one time before this review so I knew what I was getting into. I served some steak with a smoked beer and served this beer with a chocolate mousse pie. worked out perfectly.

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

From notes:

Served on draught at Cork in North Charleston, SC. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Opaque pitch black. Thin head with moderate lacing. Legs akin to port wine.

S: Very fragrant and very dessert-like. Smells just like the name suggests. Creme brulee all the way. I even pick up some tiramisu notes. Sweet and rich vanilla aromas heavily cover roasted malts.

T: Super sweet and super rich. More going on than lingering sweetness from the malts. Tons of caramel and vanilla. Tastes like it was poured through creme brulee. No hops bitterness noticed.

M: Body is full and sticky like caramel. Very rich. Light carbonation.

O: The name hits the nail on the head. This is a fantastic dessert beer of which I will return. My wife does not even care much for beer but she loved it. She couldn't hardly put the glass down. Due to the richness of the beer the drinkability is fairly low. I don't think I would want much more than a pint of this beer. In the future I will buy a bomber to split for dessert.

4.59/5  rDev +16.8%

Oh where to start. First off, ive never really had creme brulee and i hate custard.

I pour this brew and im kind of surprised at how dark it is. I expected it to be lighter because it was supposed to have a vanillasih taste.

Well, the smell is fan-freaking-tastic, if you like vanilla. Im more of a chocolate guy but man if this doesnt smell like a vanilla hot cocoa or a vanilla bean cappucino.

A taste of coffee, chocolate and a ton of vanilla assaults your taste buds like john wayne attacking Iwo Jima!

The mouth is smooth, thick, but not rich, and tasty.

Very drinkable. Where the choklat is overpowering later in the beer, and kind of bitter, the creme brulee is sweet, thick and not overpowering at all. A perfect balance of all the flavors. I could drink a few of these they are so good. (will revise if i wake up at night burping vanilla like i did the choklat)

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer poured black with a tan head. The aroma was an addicting amount of vanilla with a nice amount of sweetness. The taste wasn't as great as the aroma but was still very enjoyable. It wasn't too sweet, but had an incredible vanilla, creamy flavor to it. It was also very drinkable considering the style and the alcohol content. I wish they would make a cologne or a candle or something so I could smell this beer's aroma all the time. This was a phenominal beer. I'm really starting to love how over the top many of Souther Tier's beers are. The pumpking pushed the boundaries of how pumpkin a pumpkin beer can be, and this beer does the same for a beer with vanilla. I'd highly recommend this.

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company