Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,366 | Hads: 4,208
3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Picked up a 22 oz bomber of this the other day. Creme brulee stout looked very interesting.

Appearance was jet black with a caramel head. No light came though when held up to the light. The initial smell was exceptionally strong with an overpowering vanilla and caramel taste. The taste was also strong. I think too strong and too sweet. As the beer is consumed the taste becomes too much to handle.

I could see drinking about 4 oz of this as a dessert. The 22 oz I tried to drink proved to be far too much. (510 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours complete darkness of night with no moon in sight. Nice brown head that leaves minimal lacing throughout session. Smell is in your face vanilla beans with alcohol lurking far behind. Tastes like sweet, sweet vanilla and caramel. Extremely sweet. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth. Little carbonation makes it seem thicker. Drinkability: because it's so sweet isn't the best. I downed a bomber, but I don't think I'd go further than that. Very tasty though, a desert all in itself. (481 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

S/ sweet vanilla

T/ sweet vanilla toffee taste with hits of stout
alcohol taste

M/ like a the sweet custard after dinner sweet and good

D/ lot of fun an after dinner beer good try

if you have dinner and after dinner a custard dessert drink this beer. alse sweet cheese is great with this beer. (299 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -32.5%

As my sister in law's interest in craft beer grows by association....I was gently prodded to pick one of these up for a sampling. Split 3 ways with my swill loving brother & his open minded wife.

A ~ Black coffee colored with a creamy, tan 1 finger head. Sticky lace left a soapy film on the glass.

S ~ Without question the BEST part of this beer. You could smell this throughout the room as soon as it was opened. "OOOH ~ Lemme smell, lemme smell"
* (About now a little voice is telling me to remember this is beer!)
It smells like SWEET dessert. Vanilla pudding, butterscotch, caramel, sweet baked goods, cotton candy & English toffee. As the beer warmed it had a warm boozy, almost Brandy smell to it.

T ~ Unbalanced & over done at best. Waaaay too sweet on the front. For the most part, the mouth follows the nose here. Burnt sugar, toffee, vanilla, butter cream & hints of coffee & milk chocolate. I did think I noticed a hint of roasty malt ~ but not enough to focus on. A little bitter on the finish. Breathing in over the glass is boozy & aromatic.

M ~ Full bodied. Deceptive carbonation. Slick, slippery mouthfeel with a lingering bitter after taste. Sticky & oily. Warm swallow reminds you that its alcohol. Sweet, cloying film on my lips and a hot tip of the tongue.

D ~ Overall I'd have to say I was disappointed.
Hard to finish. This is a sipper IF you're liking it (BIG IF) ~ an unusual, albeit failed attempt at an Imperial Stout IMO. A novelty that should be filed & listed as one. Definitely a one timer. ....no matter what you pair it with ~ ice cream, chocolate, vanilla pudding, maybe even Creme Brulee. Someone said "You can put lipstick on a pig...it's STILL a pig!" This aint beer to me. (1,717 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a dark black brown, not the darkest stout I have seen, with a thin caramel brown head. A lot going on in the aroma department, lots of sweet caramel smells; toffee, butterscotch, some nuttiness, and subtle vanilla cream comes through in the end. Tastes just as it smells, a whole lot of carmel maillards. It really socked my taste buds with toffee and butterscotch at first, then a creaminess settles in that finishes with a slight bitterness that lingers on the tongue. After my palate recalibrated itself to the initial intensity of the caramel flavors did the vanilla come through. The mouthfeel is what I might describe as molasses, it really coats the mouth, I can still feel the sugars on my lips as I write this review. It is good, and clears the mouth relatively well for such sweetness, but it is a lot to take in. I shared a bottle of this with my wife for dessert, definitely glad I did not have this one to myself. I really recommend trying this one out, it is a very interesting beer, but I may just leave it at that. (1,036 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +1%

On tap at Belmont Station; served in a tulip snifter.

A - pitch black; tan head that dissipates quickly; no lacing.

S - it's a bit like shoving one's face into a jar of cake frosting, with hints of chocolate, vanilla bean, and caramel. Novel, potent, and not at all like a beer -- very surprising, given the unassuming appearance.

T - vanilla frosting, chocolate, and caramel, with the creaminess one would expect from a milk stout. The finish burns slightly of alcohol, counterbalancing what would otherwise be an overwhelming sweetness. Doesn't taste particularly like creme brulee, but definitely like dessert.

M - the tap's additional infusion of carbonation makes it slightly abrasive -- the bottle has the edge. Still smooth enough to compliment the flavors. Faintly reminiscent of a milk shake.

D - the drinkability suffers, as the flavors and the alcohol quickly snowball. But this beer isn't meant to be a particularly easy drinker, just as creme brulee isn't effortlessly devourable. Better with food and friends, or saved for a special dessert. (1,060 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%

22oz Bomber / Snifter glass

A: Black with a creamy beige head.

S: Caramel, vanilla, lactose & brown sugar, reminds me of a "Werther's Original" candy.

T: Caramelized sugar, a "cafe con leche" hint, bits of caramel malt and sweet vanilla.

M: Nice and creamy with medium to full body. Flavor is long lasting and tongue coating.

D: A bit sweet, but as a dessert beer...it's perfect!!! I couldn't fathom making a session of this beer, but I guess that's not the purpose here.

I can pair this with Vanilla ice cream and fresh raspberries.

Can you say FLAN!!!

Salud! (569 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +26.1%

A - Pours a silky black. Possibly some deep deep red tones in there as well. Has a very small very tight mocha colored head that diminishes to a 1-2mm ring.

S - The smell alone won me over. I am getting Butterscotch, caramel, coffee, and vanilla. This is perhaps one of the best smelling beers I have ever drank.

T - As good as it smells. It is sweet, but not too sweet. I am getting espresso, some caramel notes, a very slight roasted barley bite but it is mainly hiding in the backround, not letting this beer become cloyingly sweet. Alcohol is almost completely hiddin. I am very impressed.

M - A great mouthfeel. This beer glides over your tounge. Very silky texture. Carbonation is medium low.

O - A am so glad I decided to try this one out. I am not dissapointed. I am planning to go back and grab a few more bottles to cellar. One of the best sweet stouts I have ever had. (883 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Looks super dark, but not pitch black, not a lot of lacing, a nice pour

S - It smells like dessert, I mean I couldn't smell it enough. I wanted to share the smell with the world, smells like cake, I am not kidding, it's a very strong smell, but an inviting one.

T - Super super sweet, the sweetness hits you first like a punch to the kisser, its straight up burnt sugar or burnt marshmallows , second is hints of vanilla with caramel, the vanilla and caramel go away and we are left with the taste of the burnt sugary sensation along with some malt, and just the slightest hint of alcohol

M - Super chewy....think and smooth, creamy, not the easiest going down cuz its heavy, u need to sip it, it is not meant to be chugged down in a few seconds

O - the taste is very strong and I think it took away from the experience a little bit, I will try it again later at a different temp (when I had this it was over 50 degrees I'm sure). It still wasn't bad, I think you actually get used to the taste as you drink it. The smell and mouth feel are incredible, in fact the smell itself makes it really. Worth a try if u like something really sweet. I'm also gonna try it with some vanilla ice cream next time. (1,209 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -18%

22oz. bomber poured into tulip shaped glasses.

A: A black body with a milk chocolate brown edge where the light transcends through this headless brew.

S: The nose is extremely rich, overflowing with vanilla, french toast, and birthday cake. It is not very balanced, it is more just kick you in your face sweet.

T: Happy Birthday to us, It smells like a Birthday cake, and it tastes like one too! There is the slightest bitterness in the back of the palate but besides that it is just over the top sweet.

M: Medium-bodied with light carbonation. a warming from the alcohol presence.

D: Its like a delicious desert that is too rich to have more than one small serving. We will stop with just the one glass.

Cheers,
The Kings of Hop (735 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

About a pint from the tap into a semi-translucent plastic cup (9-2-2010, notes written down later that night from memory). Dark brown black with 1 cm tan brown head reducing down to just a ring of bubbles after a while.

Aroma of creme brulee is very strong almost to the point of feeling artificial. Underneath is a bit of roasted coffee. Taste is also very sweet creme brulee, coffee, just the barest maltyness, very slight earthy herbalness, with a very light sour tang. Overwhelmingly sweet!

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied. Medium low carbonation, not as creamy as would probably befit the taste. If it were a lot creamier, the feel would be more simpatico with the taste.

Drinkability is low for me, one is more than enough. Personally not a fan as it feels kinda gimmicky, just not for me. Definitely something for only certain moods, maybe like a beer dessert in winter after a good hearty steak dinner. (914 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -27.2%

This rating would have been lower if not for the redeeming quality it has when mixed with Southern Tier's Pumpking. As for the Creme Brulee on it's own--22 ounces is just too much for it to be enjoyable. What I mean by that is, the first few sips seem good enough. You get the sweetness and the taste of Creme Brulee. Then, the alcohol flavor hits. And keeps hitting. By the time you get halfway through the 22 ouncer, which it is only sold in, it is just overpowering and the beer becomes a bit harsh. Amazingly, however, when mixed with Southern Tier's Pumpking(also available only in 22 ounces) it becomes what is known as a Creamy Pumpkin and it is outstanding. One of the best beer mixes I have had, to be honest. But, unfortunately for the Creme Brulee, I am rating it mostly on its own merrit, which is subpar at best. (825 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -61.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This beer is absolutely horrible. The smell is obnoxious and unappealing. The taste is worse. It has one of the worst aftertastes I've ever experienced; somewhat medicinal and just downright nasty. The beer looks good, however; its opaque, almost black, and pours a nice tan, one finger head. Unfortunately, it's all looks, and no taste. I couldn't finish this one. I read other descriptions and I guess my taste buds aren't refined enough because I didn't taste cocoa, chocolate, Creme brûlée, vanilla or anything else described in this beer. It's horribly sweet and unappealing. Won't be buying this again. (619 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

A - pours dark and thick, with a small but dense tan head. There's a far amount of lacing as well.

S - wow, sweet and dense. It smells strongly of vanilla/caramel/butterscotch.

T/M/D - this is one interesting beer! It's heavy and sweet and malty, and even has a bit of a burnt aftertaste (much like real creme brulee). The stout flavor and the vanilla and caramel are very apparent too. This would make a nice surrogate for dessert, but it is much too heavy to drink much of. (477 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Deep brown/black, small but solid head. Opaque. Looks tasty.

Smell: Definitely creamy and sugary. Actually smells a LOT like creme brulee. Not much as far as familiar beer-y smells, but that's not a bad thing here. I honestly can't stop thinking about cracking the caramelized top. Yum. Naturally, there's some caramel there, too.

Taste: Sweetness and bitterness up front, mingles into mild bitterness on the way out. A nice smoothness.Well-balanced by my measure except for a moment midway through the taste when the bitterness overwhelms the sweet side, but only for a second.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth for the most part, carbonation just right for me.

Overall: I really like this. Definitely a desserty beer, but good. 9/10 would drink again. (769 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

A- Dark brown almost black with a thin layer of head

s- Vanilla and caramel shout out through the smell of this beer

T- Sweet Vanilla and caramel taste just like the smell. strong malt background as well. Just a ton of flavor coming at you

M- Thick and creamy

D- Perfect desert beer.

I have have had this one time before this review so I knew what I was getting into. I served some steak with a smoked beer and served this beer with a chocolate mousse pie. worked out perfectly. (485 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +15.2%

From notes:

Served on draught at Cork in North Charleston, SC. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Opaque pitch black. Thin head with moderate lacing. Legs akin to port wine.

S: Very fragrant and very dessert-like. Smells just like the name suggests. Creme brulee all the way. I even pick up some tiramisu notes. Sweet and rich vanilla aromas heavily cover roasted malts.

T: Super sweet and super rich. More going on than lingering sweetness from the malts. Tons of caramel and vanilla. Tastes like it was poured through creme brulee. No hops bitterness noticed.

M: Body is full and sticky like caramel. Very rich. Light carbonation.

O: The name hits the nail on the head. This is a fantastic dessert beer of which I will return. My wife does not even care much for beer but she loved it. She couldn't hardly put the glass down. Due to the richness of the beer the drinkability is fairly low. I don't think I would want much more than a pint of this beer. In the future I will buy a bomber to split for dessert. (1,013 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +16.5%

Oh where to start. First off, ive never really had creme brulee and i hate custard.

I pour this brew and im kind of surprised at how dark it is. I expected it to be lighter because it was supposed to have a vanillasih taste.

Well, the smell is fan-freaking-tastic, if you like vanilla. Im more of a chocolate guy but man if this doesnt smell like a vanilla hot cocoa or a vanilla bean cappucino.

A taste of coffee, chocolate and a ton of vanilla assaults your taste buds like john wayne attacking Iwo Jima!

The mouth is smooth, thick, but not rich, and tasty.

Very drinkable. Where the choklat is overpowering later in the beer, and kind of bitter, the creme brulee is sweet, thick and not overpowering at all. A perfect balance of all the flavors. I could drink a few of these they are so good. (will revise if i wake up at night burping vanilla like i did the choklat) (879 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer poured black with a tan head. The aroma was an addicting amount of vanilla with a nice amount of sweetness. The taste wasn't as great as the aroma but was still very enjoyable. It wasn't too sweet, but had an incredible vanilla, creamy flavor to it. It was also very drinkable considering the style and the alcohol content. I wish they would make a cologne or a candle or something so I could smell this beer's aroma all the time. This was a phenominal beer. I'm really starting to love how over the top many of Souther Tier's beers are. The pumpking pushed the boundaries of how pumpkin a pumpkin beer can be, and this beer does the same for a beer with vanilla. I'd highly recommend this. (700 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Fitting appearance for the style. Opaque dark brown, almost black, with a heavy and thick tan head.

Smell: Smell is the standout feature here, I noticed the caramel and vanilla aroma as I was pouring it. Smelled like candy. Normally I'd find this a bit offputting, but I did pay for "creme brulee" stout.

Taste: The alcohol is a bit overpowering for my taste, hard to notice the caramel/vanilla (other than the smell) or even the coffee notes of the stout. I was expecting something a little sweeter.

Mouthfeel: Feel the alcohol sting a bit, but otherwise nothing notable. Stoutlike.

Overall: I was disappointed with this one. Admittedly, stouts are not my favorite styles of beer but I've had enough of them to understand the style. Thought the beer smelled great but was disappointed with the taste, the alcohol was not masked and overpowered the beer. (870 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Nice dark color, some light is let through. Head is ok but not great.
-- Label is eye catching

S: Overpowering sweetness and vanilla. No doubt about what they are aiming for.

T: Sickening sweet with overpowering vanilla. Complete lack of normal stout flavors. However, the name and taste align perfecting, southern tier is right on the money in that regard.

M: Smooth and silky. Finishes nicely

O: So I have to admit, I personally am not a fan of this brew. However, that being said, the name Creme Brulee is perfect and it lives up to its name. If you like over powered flavored beer, you will love this, if you don't, proceed with caution. Regardless, it is worth a taste to expand your flavor profiles and what can be done with beer. I rated it highly because the name fits the taste, and although I don't really like it, I am sure others will love it. (866 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The smell lives up to the name sake 100 fold, the smell of butterscotch punches you in the face, it is so pungent that it overwhelms you it smells like desert, you get hints of chocolate and vanilla but that is masked by the overwhelming sweetness of the smell. The pour is solid black but the froth and the head lack, the beer needs carbonation. The taste fails to deliver on the smell, it lacks viscosity and for a beer at 9.6 abv it does not have the mouthfeel you would desire. The finish is poor leaving you with a chalking and uncomfortable aftermath of "blah". (567 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +15.2%

Wow, they went for it and they nailed it!

A - Poured dark ebony with a temporary head.

S - Smells just like creme brulee. I defy you to differ!

T - Now come on, its called creme brulee...if you dont expect it to be very sweet than dont even bother. The caramel flavor is amazing with a great aftertaste of vanilla and alcohol.

D - drinkablity was as good as you can get for a drink that tastes like dessert. If you love dessert than you're going to think this is a great addition to any meal or a good substitute when a pint of ben & jerrys just wont do. (558 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Pours a dark brown-to-black. Plenty of carbonation with a 1/2 inch head.

S: It smells exactly what I wanted it to smell like. aramel and vanilla. Wonderful.

T: Vanilla and caramel to begin. Sweetness in the middle. The ending hop bitterness is unbalanced. Too much.

M: Not heavy or 'chewy' at all. Surprisingly light.

D: A great dessert beer. (350 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%

22oz. bottle poured into an imperial Guiness pint glass.

A-Pours a opaque black with a two finger white head that lingers until the second drink. No real lacing present on the glass. Carbonation appears a bit too high for this style.

S-Holy jeepers! Dessert in a bottle, smells sweeet! Butterscotch, vanilla, sugar and chocolate...not much roasted smell at all for a stout. Smells like a white russian, with way too much Kahlua.

T-Tastes like it smells, loads of butterscotch and vanilla flavor. Extremely sweet, lots a sugar taste. Very unique flavor and very pronounced

M-Thick, but not heavy. The mouthfeel really contributes to the flavor ecspecially the after taste. Very creamy reminds me of drink creamer for coffee.

D-I have never had a beer that tastes like this. It reminds me of melting vanilla ice cream into butterscotch brandy and cream. Super thick and sweet. A on par beer, but I don't think I could drink more than one. Definetely a good beer to share with 1 or 2 friends for dessert. Southern Tier does a good job with this series in bringing the flavors to the forefront, but its a bit much in this brew. (1,128 characters)

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company