Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.
Reviews: 1,363 | Hads: 4,180
1.66/5  rDev -57.9%

The more I drink this the more I realize I'm not a big fan of this beer. Some people love it...others hate it....I'm in the later category now.

What this tastes like are those werthers candies....I never liked them either....just too rich and sweet and over the top for me....butterscotch, toffee, french vanilla...it's all too much more me..

I even tried pairing this with a Padron Maduro cigar and that just about made me even sicker to my stomach..

I like this brewery and I respect that others may like this but to me it is one of my least favorite beers or all-time (573 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours black with a small tan head that quickly settles to a very thin cap. Just spotty lacing is left on the glass. I smell vanilla extract, caramel, and a little alcohol. Taste is very sweet. Like drinking liquid butterscotch. Alcohol warming on the finish. Nothing is there to clean the palate so it has a cloying sweet aftertaste. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Bit of a sticky consistancy from the sweetness. Not the easiest beer to drink. Very sweet and cloying and with an ABV up at 10%. Best shared with several people then horded to oneself. I will finish this bottle and that will satisfy me of this beer for quite some time. (642 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Very dark and a small tan head. Very near opaque.

S - Vanilla, Butterscotch, really sweet and rich.

T - Big butterscotch taste. Very sweet and rich. It's a good example of a desert beer. Tastes sinful

M - medium to heavy mouth feel. Smooth and milk-like. Low carbonation.

D - Wish I had some ice cream to go with this. Something to enjoy after dinner, but not something to drink all nite. It's very big and impressive. (427 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle
10% abv

Pours a dark mahogany..modest head of tan foam.
Few beers will grab your attention in the aroma department as much as this one will...amazing aroma of freshly brewed cappuccino, creme brulee, white chocolate, & butterscotch. Truly incredible...while I was drinking this, several other people in the room actually commented about how great it smelled..that may be a first for me.
Flavor of heavy butterscotch, vanilla, white chocolate, and sweet caramel malt. A tad on the sweet side for me, but that's a minor flaw in what is a spectacular beer from Southern Tier.

Overall, an incredibly unique gem that needs to be tried at least once. (659 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

This is a unique beer. I'm not sure if it is a dessert or a beer but here goes. It looks good for a stout and smells and taste like butterscotch. The mouthfeel is that of a silky smooth stout. I rate it low on the drinkability scale only because it was too sweet for a more than a rare occasion drink. (301 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a snifter like the bottle suggested. It has a pitch black body and a tan head that doesn't stick around too long. Looks like you'd expect an imperial stout to look. But once you take a whiff of it thats where things change.

It smells sticky of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel. If you close your eyes you'd never think it was beer you were smelling. More like a bowl of ice cream. It says there is hops in this thing, but from the smell of it they could have been using rainbow sprinkles. I don't know if I'm supposed to drink this or get a spoon.

Thank god, it tastes like it smells. Its got a sweet chocolate taste thats coated in vanilla and caramel. This thing is a milk stout on steroids. Even after I swallow I can taste it. Its like my mouth is coated in vanilla candle wax.

As long as you have taste buds you'll enjoy this. Its like no other beer I've ever had. Has to be the best dessert beer out there. If you can drink more than one of these though you are my hero. Its a very filling beer. Job well done Southern Tier. (1,069 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Opaque brown with one finger of off white head and good lacing

S - strong butterscotch sweetness and lots of malt

T - Butterscotch that taste a little burnt. Very sweet

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Couldn't drink all the time but it is enjoyable and awesome to share with friends (302 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -48.5%

Acquired this in a trade with Yamar18.

Appearance: Pours dark with one finger mocha head. Poor retention. Almost totally opaque. A little light can be seen through when held to light. Shouldn't be able to see light through an imperial stout.

Smell: Strong vanilla (smells like an Irish car bomb!), sweet chocolate and super rich caramel.
Wiseman Justin thinks it smells like an irish car bomb but slightly worse. Somewhat sickly. Alcohol shows through. "Note after drinking this for a couple of minutes, the smell of it makes me nauseous. - Wiseman Justin"

Taste: Super sweet. Again tastes like an irish car bomb (but worse). Wiseman Justin "I'd definitely rather be drinking an irish car bomb, should I chug this?" Has a definite liqueur aftertaste. 2.0

Mouthfeel: Really syrupy with medium carbonation (fairly high carbonation for an imperial stout). Thick body and dry, alcoholic aftertaste. There is really nothing terribly bad about the way it feels in the mouth area of the body.

Drinkability: Ranking this is easy, I have no desire to finish this beer let alone drink another one. In addition with a 10% alcohol score the ability to drink these is also hindered. Wiseman Nick says he could finish this one, but he'd probably feel sick. Wiseman Justin: 1.0 Wiseman Nick: 1.5

Notes: "it's just gross, and It's just bad" (1,332 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours pitch black with foamy coffee colored head. Aroma of vanilla bean, custard, chocolate and roasted coffee maltiness. Tastes like a sweet desert. Very creamy custard with lots of vanilla and roasted caramel maltiness and some butterscotch. Sweet and roasty with a dry bitter hop finish. (290 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a very very dark opaque brown that was almost black. There was no significant head, but instead a little island of mocha foam on the top with a ring around the glass. Smell was mostly sweet sugar, with just a touch of burnt to well emulate the creme brulee smell. No other aroma was noticeable. That taste was smooth, slightly over sweet, more like store bought frozen creme brulee than a freshly made one. It had a slight alcohol after taste. Felt solid in the mouth, coated extremely well with no carbonation, but a bit of bitterness on the tongue. Alcohol was masked well, but hit quickly, and it was too sweet to do anything but sip slowly. (690 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%

Got this thanks to my guy at binnys reccomending it. Poured a nice dark brown almost black out of a 22 oz bomber. The aroma was like creme brule. Sweet and cinnamony. It tasted just like it smelled and was very smooth. I had to leave the drinkability down because i couldnt finish the beer it was just too sweet to knock out in one sitting. (340 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +2.5%

Black, but not the darkest in stout appearances, not too much head. Smells like what its titled. Thought it would be too sweet from the smell, but the malt and hops definetly bittered the vanilla bean aroma. First pour from the bomber was a little sweet, but the second pour, which had come closer to room temperature was almost perfect in balance. I usually like my stouts to gain most of their flavor from the hops and yeast, but southern tier makes some great flavored stouts. I would definetly recommend this as a dessert beer after a late night dinner. (557 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%

This beer had the usual appearance of a stout nice tan/light brown head . The first smell caught me off guard with a big wiff of dessert like sweetness . The taste backed up the smell "wholely dessert batman" this is the ultimate after dinner beer . Mouthfeel was very heavy close to syrup like but great for a dessert type sipping beer . The drinkability was good but with the alcohol level and heavyness it brought down the drinkability (438 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

Shared with a buddy for dessert.

Black, brown hued.

Smell is straight up brown sugar cookie dough. I swear. With some Bailey's. Sweetest smelling beer ever. I literally can't believe how sweet this smells.

Tastes ridiculously sweet and rich. Almost sickeningly sweet, yet yummy. Vanilla liquer. Bailey's Irish Cream. Cookie dough.

Thick and creamy, smooth as silk, like making love in a bottle. Uh, yeah.

Quite possibly the most unique beer experience ever.

I knew it would be different, but this is crazy. I'm trying to judge it for what it is. Good thing I had a buddy to help (not that I wouldn't down this smartly if need be). RICH!!!!

Overall: awesome once a year beer (680 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Dark brown, near black body with a thinnish, short-lived, light beige head.

Smell: Oh-so sweet-smelling aroma crammed with full notes of roast, vanilla beans, charred sugars, caramel, chocolate and burnt cream.

Taste: Strong flavors of dark caramel, chocolate, roast, unbaked cookie dough, honey-soaked oven-toasted nuts, and fresh vanilla. Tons of sweetness throughout. Southern Tier, like the Indians, used every part of the vanilla bean. Creamy milk, fire-licked sugar crust. Touch of roasty bitterness, but, let's be honest, nowhere near the level needed to even begin to temper the dessert-like sweetness. All of the flavors race across the palate on the way to the coffee-ish finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium-low carbonation. Creamy, velvety, succulent mouthfeel.

Drinkability: All kinds of fantastic. Very yummy, very luscious, very enjoyable. Highly recommended, but beware, as this is a true love it or hate it brew. Hopefully, you'll be in the love it camp. (995 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +19.5%

Props to Jw347, cheers Jonathan!

Pours mahogany with a pinky of tan head. Above average head retention & average lacing

S: Rich caramel & coffee, & a touch of coconut; & a touch of cinnamon as this warms; yummy

T: Yummy caramel & a touch of coffee, some leafy hops hiding in the background up front. Coffee grounds do battle with chocolate & more caramel as this warms. Finishes much caramel & creamy chocolate notes. This is pulled off nicely

MF: Medium bodied, some stickyness, semi-creamy & low carbonation

Drinks pretty good, I could pound a few with dessert, a cheese tray or even a red curry. Will ding it a bit, because it would grown old after about 2 pints as a stand alone session beer. The ABV is artfully hidden (729 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

This brew pours up a solid black color with no light escaping it's depths. It has a nice big bubbly tan head with great retentive lacing on my Duvel glass.

The nose is very sweet. I get candied caramel, sweet vanilla extract (guessing its the aromatic blend of the vanilla bean and the lactose sugar), nice big malt character trying to creep its way in.

The taste is phenominal. It smells nothing like that of a beer yet still tastes just as damn good as a damn good beer should taste. Big bodied malts, hints of milk chocolate, coffee creamer, sugar, dry vanilla bean, just enough hops to keep this beer from being over sweet (I get the biggest hop character as it comes outta my mouth when I burp!), subtle coffee bean.

This brew is full bodied and has a medium to low amount of carbo.

I could review this beer all day but I gotta get back to "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"... (889 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -33.2%

It should be noted that Southern Tier doesn't lie. Pumking tastes like pumpkins, Choklat tastes of chocolate. And this sort of tastes like Creme Brulee, but it also tastes heavily of French vanilla creamer. That shit you have in the office that allows people to suffer through the coffee that they really don't like just to stay awake.

I don't need artificiality to mask my beer. And I don't want it. But I got it here. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

It pours to a translucent dark brown than mimics black in most lights. The beige head is small and fleeting.
It noses purely of vanilla syrup. Small touches of dark breads, but the flavored syrup is king. I love the smell of vanilla, but not so much when it drowns out everything else in my beer.
Burnt caramel malt is lain across the tongue. Creme Brulee indeed. Then scads of powdered vanilla-tinged coffee. It's like a gas station French Vanilla Cappuccino...with extra vanilla creamer.
I'm a sucker for vanilla. But it simply suffocates every nuance of this beer. Even the 10% alcohol can't poke through it.
The medium full body lays a glassy canvas for all the vanilla to unfold upon. But the vanilla cloys and clots upon itself and fucks it all up.
Give me roast! Give me malt! Give me beer! Give me some semblance of stout, and then I might begin to appreciate the rampant and ridiculous about of vanilla.
Again, they've nailed the flavoring aspect, but utterly neglected the basic beer traits. Drinking a pint+ of International Delight seems roughly the same (cut with a small amount of coffee). And I'm not joking.

This might have itself some small moment as a after dinner or cigar beer, but 22ozs of this is lunacy.
Let's have some fucking beer already. (1,737 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2%

Poured this in to a snifter from a 22oz bottle. This pours a very deep black with a delicate pale head that dissipates quickly. Smelling this is all vanilla and caramel these are so strong that I really don't get anything else... but that is not bad. Taste is a very sweet rich creamy caramel and vanilla.. I was expecting the sweetness but this is far beyond what I anticipated, this would par well with pecan pie or enjoyed for desert. Drinkablity wise I really enjoyed it, but the sweetness of it made the one glass I had plenty. (532 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks cookin420 for this one. Large capped bottle poured into a snifter.

Very dark brown, reddish accents on the edges, minimal, short lasting tan head.
Very very sweet aromas; chocolate, vanilla beans, sweetened milk, honey.
Medium bodied, lacking a bit of smoothness for something so sweet; taste is not as sweet as the aroma, but quite close. Some warming alcohol is not enough to balance. You need 5-6 people to go through one bottle. Nice, but way too sweet. (468 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

22 oz bottle from halfP1NT.

Pours almost black, a touch of dark red showing through. Beautiful silky smooth brown head. Moderate retention, good lacing.

Aroma is initially milk and vanilla. Then the roast, alcohol, and a touch of vegatable hop smell comes through. Partly 5.0 and partly 2.0.

Flavor is sweet, vanilla, pretty bitter, somewhat roasty, and a touch of crystal malt. I have never really encountered a beer that had lactose in it in any noticeble dose. Now that I have, I think I like it. Alcohol is noticeable.

Body is medium, maybe even a tad on the light side. Didn't know what to make of it. Should it be heavy like an imperial stout or should it be thin like a milk stout? Nice in any event. Drinkable due to its nice flavors and wonderful aroma but the alcohol is something to watch out for. (812 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -6.9%

I have been dying to try this stuff. I love sweets and the thought of a creme brulee beer is very enticing.

I pull this straight outta the fridge and pop the top. First smell is of sweet vanilla and boozy kahlua. Smells yummy but the alcohol is present. Thoughts of sambuca, jagermeister shoot through my cranium.

Pour into a snifter reveals a dark brown potion of respectable viscosity. High altitude glugs produce a shockingly feeble head. No retention, either.

A hefty whiff of the glass and the vanilla and sugar take center stage. I still smell that Jag and Kahlua.

Chocolate, malt, french vanilla coffee. Like the rich syrup in the centers of dark chocolate candies. Vanilla but pretty well balanced. The back end is more chocolaty. Its very sweet.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly spritzy. Good carbonation to complement the thickness and molasses qualities.

I like this stuff but the booziness is a little much for me. The sweetness is very nice, but it may affect the drinkability. (995 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%

22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Poured a very dark cola color with a thin carmel colored head that thined to the edges of the glass failry quickly for a stout. Had a very distinct vanilla-coffee-butter-carmel scent all inter-twining into a great aroma. Had a very smooth creamy taste with all the flavor that the scent presented in a very subtle but not to overpowering way. Noticed a slight tingle aftertaste but it was a very pleasant taste.

Took a while to get through all 22oz of this stout and throughout the tasting that flovors and scents seemed to go through different stages, possibily due to the warming from cellar to more room temperature. Had a stroner vanilla butter taste smell when cooler and turned more choclate carmel coffee upon warming, also had some very slight nutty tones mixed in. Was a very sweet taste throughout and left my lips very sticky.

Taste was a heavy body but not to heavy. The 10% ABV was masked very well by the flavor and aroma whihc made it very drinkable. By the end of the beer I was very full and really had trouble finishing the whole thing in one sitting. It sits much heavier on the stomach than the taste lead me to believe. A 22oz would be enough to serve 2 and maybe up to 4 people. Would be a excellent compliment to a desert or even served as a desert on it's own. Thinking I will try this with a slice of pumpkin pie next time!

Overall a very intersting beer that had a lot to present and offer and it didn't let me down. A bit too much to have as a regular drink but would be a perfect after dinner sipping beer to converse over. (1,586 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was lucky enough to get this in a trade with my new beer buddy Dyan. Maryland to Alaska, quite the haul!

Appearance: Very dark, no light comes through this dark brew. No head when poured slowly, and no lacing that I could see.

Smell: This has a very sticky sweet smell. My wife said it reminded her of kahlua or a white russian, but it's easy to make the creme brulee connection. We both enjoyed the smell of this a lot, and savored that moment. Vanilla, sugar, and...well....creme brulee.

Taste: A previous reviewer mentioned the fear of it tasting like syrup and said it didn't. I would disagree a little bit...I felt for a moment like I was drinking a liquer instead of a stout. Wife says it tastes like a carbonated straight kahlua. I enjoyed the taste....brown sugar, vanilla, other very sweet tastes that are hard to pinpoint.

Mouthfeel: medium to minimal carbonation, rolls around smoothly in the mouth.

Drinkability: My wife had a sip and said that was nice, but enough for her. Given, she's not a dark beer fan. I am tending to agree...I will finish the 22oz bottle alone tonight since she doesn't want any more, but I would see this going over better in smaller doses. Very much a desert beer, would be good with some dark chocolate confection. It's a "short sips" beer for me. (1,293 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -18%

Appearance: A deep dark burgandy color with hardly any head and almost no lacing. Reminds me of a port.

Smell: When first lowering my nose near this beer I was hit with a wall of sweetness; carmel, dark brown sugar, maple, toffee, pecans...it reminds me of a the dessert and something else that I can't quite remember. I feel the need to start baking.

Taste: A nice balance of sweetness for a really sugary beer, but the sweetness is a bit much. From the smell I was afraid it was going to be like drinking syrup but it had a nice taste of vanilla, cloves, and brown sugar. I get hints of dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy feel, slight carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly easy to sip but not to drink. I wouldn't want to drink this often or too much, just about a shot full or a little more is more than plenty! Should be reserved for more special occasions than Monday night football. Prehaps Thanksgiving would have been more appropriate? I am satisfied after a small glass; its like a reward after working hard...perhaps I'll have to find numerous neighbors the bottle with since it is absolutely WAY too big for one person. (1,143 characters)

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) from Southern Tier Brewing Company