Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  9.60% ABV

The brewer suggests a serving temperature of 42 °F for this beer.

(Beer added by: ph2001 on 07-12-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
NODAK

Tennessee

1.73/5  rDev -55.4%

Aroma here is the sweetest I've ever smelled....by far. Nothing really can approach it. Strong aroma of candied butterscotch with a ridiculous amount of sugar. Wow.

The taste follows through, with a load of butterscotch, vanilla, and candied sugar. The mouthfeel isn't particularly thick, but it's certainly very sweet. Somewhat surprisingly (at least for me), there's a prickly, persistent bitterness that hangs around at the finish and creates at least some semblance of balance (though really, it didn't stand a chance).

Southern Tier is a brewery that either hits or misses. This is the biggest miss in their lineup. In fact, it might be the biggest miss I've ever had. The first time I had it, I wasted over half the bottle. The second time, I had a sample pour given to me at the bar and had to immediately drink water to get the disgusting taste out of my mouth. Complete failure, in my opinion.

11-09-2011 02:55:28 | More by NODAK
mdaschaf

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a deep black color with a mocha colored head on top, decent head retention. Some foamy lacing forms on the sides that reduces to a very thin layer by the end.

S: Wow, incredibly aromatic. Lots of sugar, vanilla, caramel, and a little bit of spice. Really does not smell like any beer I have had before. In a word, rich.

T: More of the same form the aroma. Extremely sweet, with vanilla, caramel, and toasted sugar. Rich and cloying.

M: Medium to full bodied, and filling. Rather creamy, but still has some nice carbonation.

O: Liked it more than I was expecting actually. No way I could drink a whole 22, let alone a pint, but with a rich dessert, this could be really good.

11-08-2011 19:40:35 | More by mdaschaf
devilben02

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

My wife wanted to try this one, so I was happy to share it with her. It pours like any good imperial stout, with a deep, opaque brown color and a modest ring of foam. This beer smells absolutely incredible, with an aroma of vanilla and caramelized sugar that is as close to actual creme brulee as I can imagine. The flavor is likewise dominated by vanilla and caramel, which isn't as pleasant as it is in the aroma, and there is also some earthy, dark roasted malts and an undercurrent of booze that don't connect well with the decadent sweetness. The texture is pleasant enough, with a light carbonation to help break up the dense, sweet flavor profile. In the end, though, despite the unique flavor profile, the distinctive, potent sweetness is just too much, and I likely won't be picking this one up again.

11-07-2011 03:08:54 | More by devilben02
CenCalMario

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

22 oz bomber, served in a tulip, thanks goes to BA phichifiji00 (Chad)!

Appearance is dark brown, brownish head and bubbles. Delightful looking.

Smell is amazing... fudge, crème brûlée is right in the aroma, wow, caramel, sweet, cake.... need ice cream and I would pour this over it!

Taste is great. Wow needs BBQ ribs paired with it. It's a mix and match of everything but the kitchen sink... like a super bakery or restaurant is cooking up something special for you for dessert - this is it!

Appearance is full, good carbonation.

Overall a nice beer that is quite a treat, however, you probably only want 3, 4 or 5 oz... a solo pint might be too over the top. Nonetheless, quite an experience, really like the way the crème brûlée came through. Great beer to open and share with 2-3 others.

11-06-2011 06:06:21 | More by CenCalMario
bobhits

Kentucky

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

Pours deep brown, and creates a decent head. The color is on the deeper side of the dark browns, but it isn't black. Head could be better given the milk stout nature, but still very good lacing and body.

Stinks of butterscotch and french vanilla. There really isn't much more here, milk and cream notes in the vanilla, but hardly much more than butterscotch and a roasted cream vanilla. This beer has more aroma than you can imagine. You really have to smell it to imagine. It isn't my thing for a beer but I have to give credit for this nose. It is just wow.

Thankfully the flavor here is far more bitter and complex than the nose. French vanilla is blended with hops, spices, and darker malts to create a very different beer than anything I've ever even begun to imagine before. I have no clue what Creme Brulee tastes like nor do I think I'll ever have any. This beer is just something else. I'm not sure if it is the Columbus or Horizon hops but the hop profile reminds me of moka. A very familiar stout flavor, extremely so. I'm not sure that the hops and sweet vanilla flavors are really made for each other. There is a lack of connection here. The french vanilla flavors should be the showcase, but instead the hops squelch the sweetness and balance things. This isn't how a milk stout should finish. Now I enjoy the hell out of some good hops and some spicy hops might work well here. Instead they have gone with floral and sweet fruity hops that just don't mix the spiced vanilla notes.

I really expected a thick deep syrup like body for this beer, instead this one drinks a hair thinner than expected. That said easy to drink but the flavor is a bit too much for even half a bottle.

I was told this beer would be an explosion of sweetness. I was told it would be over the top sugary sweet and more dessert than anything else out there. I'm instead getting an ok beer with too much vanilla for its' own good. I'm not really sure how to judge this one. There are so many ways this beer could really become excellent but it just falls short on all directions. Needs to be thicker, creamier, use different hops, and just frankly different.

11-06-2011 03:07:26 | More by bobhits
avaccani

4.97/5  rDev +28.1%

A - Pours a silky black. Possibly some deep deep red tones in there as well. Has a very small very tight mocha colored head that diminishes to a 1-2mm ring.

S - The smell alone won me over. I am getting Butterscotch, caramel, coffee, and vanilla. This is perhaps one of the best smelling beers I have ever drank.

T - As good as it smells. It is sweet, but not too sweet. I am getting espresso, some caramel notes, a very slight roasted barley bite but it is mainly hiding in the backround, not letting this beer become cloyingly sweet. Alcohol is almost completely hiddin. I am very impressed.

M - A great mouthfeel. This beer glides over your tounge. Very silky texture. Carbonation is medium low.

O - A am so glad I decided to try this one out. I am not dissapointed. I am planning to go back and grab a few more bottles to cellar. One of the best sweet stouts I have ever had.

11-06-2011 00:39:00 | More by avaccani
isualum12

Idaho

4.9/5  rDev +26.3%

Wooow. No really wooow.

Look amazing with a black and red color. Along with a red color head.

Smell is strong with carmel and cream

Taste- CREAM. Creme brulee. It tastes amazing

Feel. Smooth smooth

Overall this is the best beer I have had this year. Instantly to my top 10 list. Love it.

11-04-2011 03:03:30 | More by isualum12
DoubleJ

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yes, this is one of the more famous "love or hate" beers that one can find. The opportunity showed itself and I was there. On to the beer:

Dark as expected, but it does have some red colored hues. The lacing that it gives off is decent. The nose is a wallop of caramel and a shot of coffee. One thing is easy to decide, I love it!

Upon tasting it, I wasn't sure how sweet the taste would be despite already smelling it. It is sweet, but not SWEET! This is about as sweet as one could go without being cloying. Fully loaded with caramel and a shot of espresso and roast that lingers in the background. The alcohol hides itself well. It's medium heavy, and surprisingly it is easy enough to drink.

I'm a fan of Southern Tier Crème Brûlée, and proud to admit it. Don't like it because you think it's too sweet? Good. More for the rest of us. Afraid to buy a bomber in fear that it may give you diabeetus? Good. More for the rest of us.

10-31-2011 22:54:29 | More by DoubleJ
osusullins

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer has the best nose of any beer I have ever sniffed.

The smell is of candied butterscotch. I could sniff this beer all day.

The taste matches the nose. Butterscotch up front. Extremely sweet beer. Almost too sweet. I give this a high rating because it is delicious, however it should be noted that I can only really have this in about a 6oz portion. Anymore and it is too much. Perfect to split a bottle between a couple of friends. Great dessert beer.

10-31-2011 04:49:12 | More by osusullins
Suds

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Southern Tier has really impressed me lately, and this beer is no exception. It's a dark, fully black, thick liquid with a dense tan head. Really remarkable - exceptional, really - is the aroma. The sweet, dessert-like aroma is unlike almost any other beer. I was afraid that the aroma would be artificial, with too much vanilla, but somehow this strikes a wonderful balance between the creamy, malted-milk qualiities of a milk stout and huge proportions of vanilla. It's intense, sense-grabbing, and fantastic. I love it. It's like a chocolate malt, woody-vanilla, and cream pie....creme brulee, indeed. Some toasty, roasty scents are present as well. It's one of those beers that you get a kick out of just sniffing. The flavor is strong, with a firm bitterness that provides some balance. Sweet on the lips. Thick and intense, but not cloying. Huge, hefty body. Spectacularly satisfying!

10-29-2011 21:43:10 | More by Suds
micromaniac129

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours thick and brown /black in color with no foamy head to speak off. Looks like a flat coke basically. Very aromatic to say the least, you can smell this baby across the room. Aroma is of course sweet vanilla, caramel and condensed milk.
Sniffing through the sweetness yoy can pull out some roasted malts coffee and burnt sugar.
This beer difinitly has a creame burlee taste along with condensed milk vanilla and custard. As it warms hints of malts and coffee appear to lend a hand for that burnt sugar taste. On the pallette this beer slides down thick and silky with a warm, very warm alcohol presence.
Too, sweet really for anything other then a desert sipper, but this beer would work good in desert recipes too. I think this would make a fantastic ice cream too.

10-29-2011 11:58:43 | More by micromaniac129
Centennial

3.4/5  rDev -12.4%

Snifter Draft after dinner

A. Dark brown with thin tan head

S. Vanilla extract and brown sugar, slight cinnamon scent

T. Strong vanilla extract and cinnamon with very sweet flavor, very artificial, I would bet more "extracts" then vanilla ae used in this brew. This is close to being too sweet and alcohol has a slightly unpleasant burning presence. If I was not having this for desert I don't think i'd be digging it at all.

O. They don't call it creme brulee for nothing. This is more of a novelty stout imho and very artificial tasting.

10-28-2011 07:34:36 | More by Centennial
RunForYourBeer

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Very dark with little to no head.

S: Sweet. Lots of brown sugar, caramel, and vanilla.

T: Coffee followed by lots of vanilla. Finish is roasty with some alcohol warming.

M: Medium with medium carbonation.

O: Good overall. I liked the smell a lot but thought it could use a bit less carbonation.

10-27-2011 23:45:41 | More by RunForYourBeer
Auracom

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Part of my stout tasting on October 22nd, 2011. 2-3 oz. into snifter. We had a good assortment of ST stouts including CB, Jahva, Mokah, and Oat but CB was the only one I bothered to properly review (though Mokah was probably the most well-rounded).

A – Pours a dark brown. Tasting size produced mediocre lacing, and retention broke down to a few minor bubbles.

S – Yup, people are right. Intense couple of notes including butterscotch, caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, and lactose.

T – The actual drink doesn’t vary from the aroma much. It’s a bit less in-your-face and less appealing overall. Vanilla is oddly larger here. Like the few other ST beers I’ve had, it tastes like extract.

M – Appropriate medium body, average carbonation, and lengthy aftertaste.

D – I generally avoid reviewing ST because they are so hit or miss. This beer continues the trend of intense, fun, and inviting aroma but falling short in taste. I’ve never actually ate Crème Brulee but a few of my friends claimed that this beer is truly on-par with the food, so take that for what it’s worth.

10-27-2011 03:32:54 | More by Auracom
yankeej13

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

I always make sure to pick up a bottle as soon as my liquor store gets em back in.

A- Pours out dark as night with a nice brown head which quickly fades to a tiny lace. Mild carbonation hard to see though its dark color.

S- Has a huge sweet smell followed by a creamy chocolate/milky smell. Nice amount of roasted malts, hints of mocha as well.

T- A very powerful first sip that fills your mouth up with a very pleasent creamy roasted malts with tons of chocolate and through that hints of a creamy mocha, nice traces of vanilla that ends with a nice sweet like finish.

M- A nice smooth flavor considering the high alcohol content, great drinkability.

Overall- Truly enjoy this beer everytime I have it. A must share beer very hard to finish a bottle by urself, becomes pretty overwelmingly sweet. A one of a kind beer! Cheers

10-26-2011 00:41:16 | More by yankeej13
DigitalDude

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to Gorefeindus for sharing. 22 oz. bottle poured into a Chimay goblet.

A. Very dark, murky. medium to dark tan head about 1 finger. dropping fairly quickly.

S. The smell is phenomenal. Lots of creme brulee (hence the title). Caramel, malts, roasty, brown sugar, sweet, with a little booze.

T. Creme brulee (did I mention that already?) up front, malty, candied sugar, roasty, and finishes a little dry with some booze. Pleasant after a few sips. Tough drinking after a few ounces. Then the sweetness really comes through upon warming up.

M. Great mouthfeel. Appropriate carbonation. Smooth.

O. A very complex beer, indeed. The only advice I offer is to share it with at least 4 to 5 people. Because even a little more than a few ounces will make it unpleasant. Great if your a fan of sweet beer.

10-25-2011 00:13:44 | More by DigitalDude
keytown

Kentucky

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Pours jet black with a very thin tan head

S - Smells of a pint of Haagen Dazs Creme Brulee: vanilla,
chocolate & caramel.

T - Tastes very much on the same note as the smell: very
sweet, with tastes of vanilla, chocolate & caramel. There
is some hoppy bitterness on the finish, more then I
expected from such a sweet beer.

M - Full bodied and very sweet. Very smooth with some good
carbination.

O - Overall this is a good beer. I'm not big on overly sweet beers
but this one is very good. It would be an excellent desert
beer. Would pair well with Thanksgiving/Christmas desert.

10-22-2011 00:50:26 | More by keytown
JohnnyChicago

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two stemless snifters.

A: Pours a rich, velvety, dark brown with a latte-coloured head gracing the top.

S: Smells like...creme brulee! I guess this is a success because it has all the burnt sugar, custard, vanilla and cream smell of the dessert.

T: Pretty close to smell. All the above flavours come through, but there is the slightest hint of diacetyl. It is also VERY sweet and a bit cloying. There is no roast at all in this (due, I'm sure to the lack of roasted malts), so that makes it a bit one-note.

D: Surprisingly, the alcohol isn't as hot as I thought it would be. Instead its just sugary and sticky. Mouthfeel is like a glass of warm whole milk.

Overall: OK, would I want to have this everyday? No. Is it an ideal dessert beer? Yes. If you willingly drink a beer called "Creme Brulee Imperial Milk Stout", how can you diss it for being "too sweet"? That's the whole point! There are no false claims from the brewer, this is what it is. Its a saccharine, one and done, dessert in a glass and sometimes...it just hits the spot.

10-21-2011 17:37:15 | More by JohnnyChicago
MoreThanWine

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I don't always go for big and sweet, but there's no denying ST Creme Brulee is a delicious liquid dessert.

Poured a 1" dark mocha head, and replenished the head with glass refills. Dark burnt umber brown color, almost coffee. Smells of roasted malt, vanilla, fancy flavored coffee, even like a candy bar. The taste is indulgent with burnt sugar, vanilla, toffee, coffee, and malt. And the high alcohol suits this guilty pleasure.

Hey, some will say this is too sweet, too strong, whatever. To me that's like ordering a fancy dessert and then complaining it isn't more bland. What did you expect when you ordered it?

10-21-2011 08:42:26 | More by MoreThanWine
jsdunlop

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Pitch black pour with a minor, flimsy tan head that forms and disappears. Nose is assaulted with caramel, butterscotch, toffee, and booze. Taste consists of caramel and toffee piled upon some roasty and chocolate style malt, a touch of bakers chocolate and a hefty dose of butterscotch. Sweet caramel makes its way out again towards the slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel was light and slightly watery with an average carb presence. Overall, I wish I would have split this one with somebody, it was a challenge to finish the entire bottle. It smells great and the taste follows suit with the label, but this beer just wasn't for me. An 8 ounce pour would have been sufficient.

10-19-2011 04:07:14 | More by jsdunlop
BStalf21

2.25/5  rDev -42%

Kinda surprised at how many people are high on this beer. I'm starting to find an over the top trend with this brewery when it comes to beer styles that have sweetness. I suppose that some people might think that is a plus but its just not my thing. Just cracking the cap off this thing made my kitchen smell like the local candy store. With each sip the over powering sweetness built until I couldn't tolerate it any more. Had to come back to this one to polish it off but didn't enjoy it at all. If ya digg sweet take a stab.

10-18-2011 03:45:23 | More by BStalf21
Frankthetank67

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Jet black, good foaming head with a slight caramel colored ring.

S: Strong & sweet from the bottle, once poured a thick caramel and vanilla scent fills the air. Several at the table said they could smell the sweetness from accross the table. This will be sweet.

T: Big vanilla and caramel flavor, some lingering bitterness to round it out. Sweetness lingers for a longtime.

M: Heavy and slightly chewy creating a thick mouthful.

O: An overall tasty beer. I would say this would be a great dessert beer to be split with someone else. 22oz is a heavy dose of Sweetness.

10-17-2011 19:37:22 | More by Frankthetank67
phichifiji00

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Deep brown almost black. Minimal tan head. No lacing.

Smell: Sweet, caramel, vanilla, a bit boozy as it warms up. Dessert in a glass. Think liquid caramel candies.

Taste: Chocolate, caramel, creme, vanilla, oak, German chocolate cake a bit boozy as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, good carbonation, insanely sweet, smooth, boozy as it warms.

Overall: Dessert in a bottle. So sweet. Definitely need to share this with multiple people, but wow. Definitely better at cooler temperatures.

10-17-2011 16:09:34 | More by phichifiji00
DovaliHops

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours an extremely dark brown with a small, off- white head that disappears quickly. Scent is... Sweet Jesus!!!! The sweetest beer I've ever come across. Smells like dessert and gives me a craving for chewy caramel candy. Tons of sweet caramel, toffee, and brûlée. Taste is just as sweet. German chocolate cake with toffee and vanilla. A TON of caramel. Hints of overly sweet chocolate. Sugar bomb. Slight warming booze as it warms. Mouthfeel is full bodied and very rich. Drinkability...now this is where this beer fails. It is amazing with the first few sips...but becomes completely overwhelming almost instantly. Overall, this beer is unique and deserves all the hype for that, I just recommend it in small doses.

10-17-2011 07:29:55 | More by DovaliHops
Treebs

2.15/5  rDev -44.6%

Had on tap at Palmer Place. Served in a snifter.

A: Pours a jet black with a thin mocha colored ring and some swirls on top.

S: Wow there is a lot going on. Caramel, vanilla, sweet chocolate, and coffee. It's just too overpowering and smells like it's going to be too sweet.

T: Big vanilla coffee flavors, some caramel, some roasted malts, extremely sweet chocolate. Some bitter coffee grinds as well. This so cloying it's crazy. I feel like I'm going to get diabetes if I keep drinking this, yet I press on.

M: Heavy and slightly chewy with a very heavy coating across the mouth. Does have some nice bubble carbon from the top, but still the sweetness just lingers and kills it.

O: If you like the sweetest candy and chocolate in the world, thrown into a barrel of vanilla and caramel as well as early onset diabetes, this is the beer for you. It had a lot of potential, but the sugary sweetness was too much for me to handle.

10-16-2011 14:23:50 | More by Treebs